PDA

View Full Version : Sigil 5: New HTDA speculations

SchwarzerAbt
01-12-2017, 05:54 AM
So in the new Yahoo.com interview (https://www.yahoo.com/music/trent-reznor-atticus-ross-on-patriots-day-new-nine-inch-nails-ep-and-how-social-media-creates-a-toxic-environment-for-music-222940245.html) Trent said that new HTDA stuff is in the works.

I really loved Welcome Oblivion, so I am looking forward to this one. Not as much as to new material by NIN, but this is mostly because NTAE was so unexpected and it is really exciting what will happen next there, while we don't have any clue if there will also be a radical change in this band. Although I am really interested if Rob Sheridan will remain an official band member for this one or if Trent and he parted ways for longer.

What I can say is that a secong album would probably give this band more weight in the sense that it should be clear to everybody now that this is not just a one-off project.

What are your thoughts? Discuss! :D

fillow
01-12-2017, 06:55 AM
He didn't even say it's in the works. It sounded more in vein with "there likely be more Ghosts volumes in the future," just a general statement.

d'oh, my bad. I scrolled too fast through the article.
\/ \/ \/

SchwarzerAbt
01-12-2017, 07:00 AM
He didn't even say it's in the works. It sounded more in vein with "there likely be more Ghosts volumes in the future," just a general statement.

Well, this is the actual phrasing:

Yahoo: Are you still making music for How to Destroy Angels?
REZNOR: You will see more How to Destroy Angels. It’s in the works.

If this means a new album is coming soon is up for debate.

botley
01-12-2017, 07:53 AM
I think Rob has said he's taking a bunch of time away to travel and work on his own projects. When he comes back to it, I'm sure HTDA will do stuff again. There's not much chance of it happening without him.

buckaroo
01-12-2017, 08:18 AM
I think Rob has said he's taking a bunch of time away to travel and work on his own projects. When he comes back to it, I'm sure HTDA will do stuff again. There's not much chance of it happening without him.

I thought Rob was only involved with the band in terms of visuals. Why wouldn't they record/release an album without him?

niggo
01-12-2017, 08:29 AM
I thought Rob was only involved with the band in terms of visuals. Why wouldn't they record/release an album without him?

He is an official band member when it comes to HTDA. Mariqueen + Trent + Atticus + Rob are all equal parts of the band. He was also live on stage with them if I remember correctly.

buckaroo
01-12-2017, 08:34 AM
He is an official band member when it comes to HTDA. Mariqueen + Trent + Atticus + Rob are all equal parts of the band. He was also live on stage with them if I remember correctly.

For sure. I remember them saying it was more of a collective. I just never saw his role as having a real impact on the music and more just they way it was presented. If they wanted to continue with him I don't see why he would need to be around in order for them to record an album.

botley
01-12-2017, 08:42 AM

Albums have visuals. I'm sure they'll record without him and find a way to release something when he gets back.

fillow
01-12-2017, 09:26 AM
Rob wasn't a member on s/t EP and on Is You Love... either.

Harry Seaward
01-12-2017, 09:26 AM
I think Rob has said he's taking a bunch of time away to travel and work on his own projects.

Do you know where he's said this? I assume he's a pretty private person, but it seems like he's just completely disappeared from the internet after his breakup with Tamar and now his "breakup" with NIN. I just really hope he continues to stay involved with the NIN camp eventually, because I really dig what he brings to both bands and I really used to dig following him on Twitter/Instagram and checking out what he has to say and being into the artwork he would post there.

botley
01-12-2017, 11:03 AM
Do you know where he's said this? I assume he's a pretty private person, but it seems like he's just completely disappeared from the internet after his breakup with Tamar and now his "breakup" with NIN. I just really hope he continues to stay involved with the NIN camp eventually, because I really dig what he brings to both bands and I really used to dig following him on Twitter/Instagram and checking out what he has to say and being into the artwork he would post there.
He did for a bit, but check this tweet (https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/809862105495015424) and subsequent ones. He's actually gone back to being fairly active on Twitter and has been retweeting the NIN Hotline/other throwback shoutouts related to NIN. No reason to believe he's not still on friendly terms.

tremolo
01-12-2017, 03:24 PM
This is great news!

I'm hoping new music and some live shows, maybe like the last time.

botley
01-12-2017, 06:37 PM
More live shows would be SUPER cool. The multi-camera videos, as great as they are, hardly do justice to the "wow" factor that stage setup had in person.

sheepdean
01-12-2017, 06:48 PM
My body is ready

BRoswell
01-12-2017, 07:34 PM
I'm sitting on my bed spread out with some cigarettes and a bottle of wine waiting for this.

WorzelG
01-13-2017, 01:12 AM
If they do tour I hope they make it out of the US this time

sheepdean
01-13-2017, 03:41 AM
If they do tour I hope they make it out of the US this time
If not, European HTDA fans road triiiiiiip

Ryan
01-13-2017, 06:33 AM
Australia plz, that was a tease getting Mariqueen to sing a couple of songs live here in 2014.

elevenism
01-13-2017, 06:40 AM
Jesus, how about a REAL fucking tour! didn't they just play eight dates? they didn't come anywhere near texas :/

TheBang
01-13-2017, 03:29 PM
Jesus, how about a REAL fucking tour! didn't they just play eight dates? they didn't come anywhere near texas :/
13 dates, and they played Denver which is only 2 states (and really more like 1 state) away from Texas, so that counts as somewhere near, right?

elevenism
01-13-2017, 05:09 PM
13 dates, and they played Denver which is only 2 states (and really more like 1 state) away from Texas, so that counts as somewhere near, right?
i didnt know, and goddamnit i live about 5 hours away from denver, and half of everyone i have ever known has moved there. Damint, damnit.

Now i wish i could Faceplam my own quote.

Corona Radiata
01-13-2017, 07:05 PM
Great news. Though tbh I wish they'd get a new vocalist. Mariqueen is a bore and there's no way she'd be a part of this if she wasn't Trents wife. Just keeping it real. She just doesn't have the wow factor and everything from her voice to her on stage presence is so middle of the road.

But I'd listen to a dying cow on vocals if Trent and Atticus made the music so bring it on.

Space Suicide
01-14-2017, 08:49 PM
Great news. Though tbh I wish they'd get a new vocalist. Mariqueen is a bore and there's no way she'd be a part of this if she wasn't Trents wife. Just keeping it real. She just doesn't have the wow factor and everything from her voice to her on stage presence is so middle of the road.

But I'd listen to a dying cow on vocals if Trent and Atticus made the music so bring it on.

I agree mostly but I don't think she's entirely worthless. She just doesn't fit HTDA's music in my opinion. I loved the original EP but the official album Welcome Oblivion I couldn't find anything I much cared for. it's sad really.

BRoswell
01-14-2017, 09:14 PM
To each their own I guess. I like Mariqueen's voice quite a bit, and while I have imagined a couple songs sung by different vocalists, I've never felt that her vocals were inappropriate.

Space Suicide
01-14-2017, 11:55 PM
To each their own I guess. I like Mariqueen's voice quite a bit, and while I have imagined a couple songs sung by different vocalists, I've never felt that her vocals were inappropriate.

Her voice just doesn't have much enthusiasm to me most of the time (I guess it has its place in West Indian Girl a bit), considering the fact most of the music on NIN and HTDA is dreary it should fit. :p

That other guy
01-15-2017, 10:52 AM
The music was great and look forward to something new, but them live...Now that was 1 amazing show , saw them in NJ.

sheepdean
01-15-2017, 04:13 PM

I wish NIN would get a new vocalist

Corona Radiata
01-15-2017, 05:22 PM
https://goo.gl/images/O0lQ0S

sheepdean
01-15-2017, 05:30 PM
https://goo.gl/images/O0lQ0S
Backing vocals aren't lead vocals, I think NIN needs something fresh. I mean sure, Trent writes all the words and is clearly considered the lead of the band, but that doesn't mean he's not totally disposable

Corona Radiata
01-15-2017, 05:37 PM
Yeah, but Mariqueen is.

Though in all honesty, I could get behind a new vocalist. Keep Trent and let him still produce and play. Have him improvise on the keys like he did in 2014.

Its not like he's some amazing vocalist. I could go without him for a tour or two.

BRoswell
01-15-2017, 05:41 PM

What's Peter Murphy up to these days?

sheepdean
01-15-2017, 05:44 PM
What's Peter Murphy up to these days?
Mostly meth http://www.nme.com/news/music/bauhaus-1241716

joplinpicasso
01-17-2017, 08:24 AM

I'm one to not know NIN camp gossip or personal details anymore, but TAMAR AND ROB BROKE UP WHAT?

sheepdean
01-17-2017, 09:40 AM
I'm one to not know NIN camp gossip or personal details anymore, but TAMAR AND ROB BROKE UP WHAT?
That was a fair old while ago, you're clearly not into the NIN soap opera

clarktrent
01-19-2017, 05:09 PM

That was a fair old while ago, you're clearly not into the NIN soap opera
Season 5 will shock you

ChipRock
01-20-2017, 03:02 AM
Put me down as excited for new HTDA. I'm very much in the pro Mariqueen camp too. Welcome Oblivion was a cracking record, and it really fits alongside Hesitation Marks as some of my favourite Trent produced works in some time. I was gutted that NIN had stopped doing HTDA stuff live by the time they got to Europe, so I'd definitely go out of my way to see them somewhere reasonably local.

I don't see why they couldn't release a record without Rob, but maybe they'll just wait for him to finish doing other stuff before putting it out. There were some great visuals though, so I'd be pleased if he did return. Either way, I think it might be worth keeping eyes peeled on the HTDA social media accounts, just in case anything pops up sooner rather than later.

sheepdean
01-20-2017, 06:04 AM
Put me down as excited for new HTDA. I'm very much in the pro Mariqueen camp too. Welcome Oblivion was a cracking record, and it really fits alongside Hesitation Marks as some of my favourite Trent produced works in some time. I was gutted that NIN had stopped doing HTDA stuff live by the time they got to Europe, so I'd definitely go out of my way to see them somewhere reasonably local.

I don't see why they couldn't release a record without Rob, but maybe they'll just wait for him to finish doing other stuff before putting it out. There were some great visuals though, so I'd be pleased if he did return. Either way, I think it might be worth keeping eyes peeled on the HTDA social media accounts, just in case anything pops up sooner rather than later.
I really loved Mark Weaver's work on the first EP, they could go back to him if Rob's unavailable

sheepdean
01-22-2017, 08:42 AM
I'm going to guess next year then https://twitter.com/mariqueen/status/822998161396379648

Khrz
01-22-2017, 08:48 AM
I'm going to guess next year then https://twitter.com/mariqueen/status/822998161396379648

Yeah, at best...

Hyperpower
01-26-2017, 10:50 AM
So...in the Discography section of nin.com under How To Destroy Angels Rob Sheridan is listed as a member so until we hear otherwise, he is still a member of the band, at least i think thats safe to assume.
i do like his work with HTDA/NIN and while maybe it was time for a new art direction on the NIN side, i do think Rob staying involved with HTDA would be cool.

also, about the thread title, Sigil 5? whats that supposed to mean? sorry been out of the loop recently.
anyway, its good to hear HTDA is not done, i liked the first couple releases but totally love Welcome Oblivion and was surprised (although i shouldn't be with TR involved) how good they were live when i caught them at the Sound Academy in Toronto.

just based on that one show i saw live, i would love to see a bigger HTDA tour.

Kamelion
01-26-2017, 02:12 PM
also, about the thread title, Sigil 5? whats that supposed to mean?
Sigils are like Halos for HTDA - we've had four so far... :)

http://www.nin.wiki/Sigil_numbers

Ryan
02-03-2017, 06:08 AM
There are also seed numbers and null numbers:

http://www.nin.wiki/Halo_numbers#Seeds

elevenism
02-10-2017, 01:21 PM
that's fucking awesome.

So now i feel bad for saying that HTDA was over.
If anything, it's probably more alive than ever, what with Atticus "joining" NIN and Mariqueen doing vocals on NTAE.

I thought it was over when the shirts went on clearance and the links were dead on the website.

katara
05-30-2017, 03:33 AM
Fuck the naysayers. Mariqueen's voice is great for this project. Welcome Oblivion is a wonderful album; just listened to it again a few days ago and it's just as good as it ever was.

Bring on the new material. But don't rush it. Take your time and make it great. I don't mind waiting a few years for an outstanding album.

r_z
06-01-2017, 03:02 PM
Her voice works for me the most when obscured by effects, reduced to samples or simply not there tbh. The production is fucking great tho.

SarahConnor
06-03-2017, 06:21 PM
Ross and Mrs. Reznor performing on NIN records, Cortini in NIN, Sheridan on sabbatical; this project is on indefinite hiatus presumably. the LP was a true grower and something of a curio, if the band is over. I liked the EP from the start.

sonic_discord
06-04-2017, 03:03 AM
Ross and Mrs. Reznor performing on NIN records, Cortini in NIN, Sheridan on sabbatical; this project is on indefinite hiatus presumably. the LP was a true grower and something of a curio, if the band is over. I liked the EP from the start.

I liked both EPs, but Welcome Oblivion was what really impressed me. Although I LOVED the video for The Space in Between. That video is amazing. I agree though, if this band does release more material or tour again, I think the lineup is likely to be slightly different. I feel like Rob will be absent, but I hope he returns to NIN or HTDA at some point in the future. Maybe for a 10-year anniversary edition of The Slip or Ghosts?

SarahConnor
06-06-2017, 08:00 PM
Also, does the soundtrack work render obsolete any future Ghosts releases? Ghosts really opened that door, and maybe future volumes are unnecessary. Reznor's quote about the '80 tracks' they've worked on, you'd think they could scrape together a Ghosts release, but they were all just practice tracks. At any rate, HTDA was underrated. Cheers

sonic_discord
06-06-2017, 09:01 PM
Reznor's quote about the '80 tracks' they've worked on, you'd think they could scrape together a Ghosts release, but they were all just practice tracks.

Yeah, it would be a shame if 80 (!!!) tracks were just thrown away. They might not meet his standards, but I bet it's still awesome. I'm sure mostly everyone here would be interested in hearing it too.

nowimnothing
06-06-2017, 09:08 PM
There's a good chance some of those unreleased ghosts tracks might have been recycled into some of their score work.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

BRoswell
06-07-2017, 11:32 AM
Also, does the soundtrack work render obsolete any future Ghosts releases? Ghosts really opened that door, and maybe future volumes are unnecessary. Reznor's quote about the '80 tracks' they've worked on, you'd think they could scrape together a Ghosts release, but they were all just practice tracks. At any rate, HTDA was underrated. Cheers

I would say that Ghosts definitely evolved into their score work. I can't really see them doing another Ghosts album if score composition fulfills that need, but never say never with Trent and Atticus.

Pbgut
09-25-2017, 02:36 AM
I'd like to hear more tracks that are a proper showcase for Mariqueen's voice – "Ice Age," "How Long," and "A Drowning" were great tracks that allowed her to shine more than some of the more spoken-word/incantation-style tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senateguard33
09-25-2017, 04:38 PM
I'd like something along the lines of "Is Your Love Strong Enough" the dynamics of the vocals and music are incredible. Of course, How Long, A Drowning and Ice Age are good examples to go by. I don't mind the linear, noisier tracks, but I want an entire album using that epic-ness style.

Pbgut
09-26-2017, 12:36 PM
I'd like something along the lines of "Is Your Love Strong Enough" the dynamics of the vocals and music are incredible. Of course, How Long, A Drowning and Ice Age are good examples to go by. I don't mind the linear, noisier tracks, but I want an entire album using that epic-ness style.

I really like that cover but Bryan Ferry would have to co-write for Sigil 5. [emoji4]

Edit: Trent (& co.) is seriously talented at covers, all the way back to Get Down Make Love. Considering the myriad bad covers out there in the world, this is another rare talent.

sheepdean
09-26-2017, 05:19 PM
I really like that cover but Bryan Ferry would have to co-write for Sigil 5. [emoji4]

Edit: Trent (& co.) is seriously talented at covers, all the way back to Get Down Make Love. Considering the myriad bad covers out there in the world, this is another rare talent.
You know how bad his pre-NIN covers were though? English language version of Der Kommisar is the best worst thing

(also, Atticus' cover of Homicide with Error is phenomenal)

WorzelG
09-26-2017, 05:22 PM
You know how bad his pre-NIN covers were though? English language version of Der Kommisar is the best worst thing

what? The eyes without a face cover is great

Pbgut
09-26-2017, 09:19 PM

haha, I've tried to avoid as much pre-NIN Trent as possible, just out of an instinct for preserving my awe and ... after hearing this it seems like my instinct was correct!

sonic_discord
09-26-2017, 11:09 PM

I can't help but like that cover. It's in my iTunes library and every once in a great while, it comes on randomly and makes me laugh, but I usually let it play all the way through. It's so cheesy and so '80s, but it's a guilty pleasure.

astfgyl
10-01-2017, 08:20 AM
Anyone who doesn't like it probably had no intention of doing so to begin with..

That is a bold statement. Right up there with saying "Anyone who likes those vocals only likes them because it is TRs wife". :p

I have taken a good few listens to HDTA lately, and each time with the earnest intention of trying to like it. I can't quite put my finger on why it is exactly, but the fact that I don't find the vocals very compelling is likely to be part of it. But that is not all. I also don't find the music itself very memorable. She is not a bad vocalist by any means either, and I will surely check out any new stuff they put out under the name, but for now, it isn't for me.

I only checked it out in the first place because it involved TR. I doubt I am alone in that regard. While we are at it, does anybody know of anybody who got into TRs work first through HDTA? Without being aware of NIN at all, I mean.

botley
10-02-2017, 04:11 PM
While we are at it, does anybody know of anybody who got into TRs work first through HDTA? Without being aware of NIN at all, I mean.
It's possible, but they'd have to be in their pre-teenaged years now to have grown up avoiding any encounter with NIN at all.

theimage13
10-02-2017, 08:49 PM
While we are at it, does anybody know of anybody who got into TRs work first through HDTA? Without being aware of NIN at all, I mean.

Festival-goers? I mean, they played some pretty big sets. You go as a fan of the headliner (someone way different than NIN, so you've quite possibly never heard them) and stop by to see this "Destroy Angels" band. A Trent-free introduction to HTDA.

astfgyl
10-03-2017, 11:41 AM
Yeah both of the above are probably true. I was thinking at the time how it must hinder them as well as help them. I mean, it must be pretty difficult for HTDA to be judged on its own merits without always being held up against NIN. And yet they have a ready made audience by association, including those fairly large festival slots mentioned above.

snaapz
11-28-2017, 01:39 PM
Spent the last hour listening to some favs... been a while ... I'd love to hear some new material soon! Not sure if enough time has passed tho, the last release was fairly remarkable with a lot of elements and images.

snaapz
07-03-2018, 01:03 PM
^ Okay it's been long enough... I'd love to get MQ's perspective on things. It's been years, and from my own experience, building a family can really churn up some underlying and unknown feelings, opinions, anger, and observations from new and multiple lenses.

r_k_f
02-12-2019, 11:16 AM
The music was great and look forward to something new, but them live...Now that was 1 amazing show , saw them in NJ.

I was there as well, so glad I got to witness one of those shows live. Video's do it no justice.

hani
02-26-2019, 07:51 AM

https://media1.tenor.com/images/bdc89653a122b8c3318f4d59d5cba144/tenor.gif

r_k_f
01-03-2020, 11:00 AM
Sheridan ate a bag of shrooms and went to see Cats (the movie) last night [check his twitter].. I'm 117% sure it was field research for the next set of HTDA visuals

SM Rollinger
01-25-2020, 05:12 PM
Has there been any indication that new material is even in the works?

BRoswell
01-26-2020, 11:56 AM
I have a feeling that How To Destroy Angels has gotten somewhat folded into Nine Inch Nails now that Atticus is an official member and Mariqueen has provided some vocal assistance. It might just be a case of everyone being comfortable doing what they're doing under the NIN umbrella, so to speak. I'd love to see more material from them, but it won't be the end of the world for me if they decide to move on from the project.

pcpunk
01-26-2020, 02:14 PM
I wouldn’t mind Mariqueen doing lead vocals on the occasional NIN track if that were the case.

BRoswell
02-11-2020, 09:40 AM
Rob on the "end" of HTDA. (https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/f28eyi/i_am_rob_sheridan_authorcreator_of_the_comic_high/fhaxhco?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x)

Rob, my favorite Twitter personality! What were the band's parting thoughts on HTDA when it had run it's course? I loved the music, art, videos. I took a vacation just to see you guys in Vegas and Garbage the night before. I recall the theater being rather empty though, and couldn't believe people wouldn't turn out for Trent and Co. Maybe it was just a Vegas thing though?

High Level is my jam. First comic I've bought in years. Now it's led me to Saga.

In light of the Oscars, it's a good time to relisten to Parasite!

I don't know that there were "parting thoughts," because NIN was starting up right at the time of the HTDA tour, and one kind of blended into another, and then HTDA sadly just didn't continue. I really wish we'd had a chance to play more shows on that tour, it's one of the coolest things I've ever worked on and it's a damn shame only 13 cities got to see it!

neorev
02-13-2020, 08:29 PM
I wish Trent & Atticus would just work with Rob, Alessandro, and Mariqueen as Nine Inch Nails. Trent did mention more collaboration.

Nine Inch Nails can call their next album How To Destroy Angels to mark the merging of the two. :P

tricil
02-14-2020, 06:51 AM
I wish Trent & Atticus would just work with Rob, Alessandro, and Mariqueen as Nine Inch Nails. Trent did mention more collaboration.

Nine Inch Nails can call their next album How To Destroy Angels to mark the merging of the two. :P

This would only work if it’s a cover of the Coil classic.

ekrekel
03-23-2022, 08:38 AM
I'm no podiatrist but there's a lot of music related stuff in this photo.

CbayG6mvcfR

cdm
03-23-2022, 10:26 AM

LOL this reminds me of one of my all-time favorite Seinfeld lines: "George, why would I, a Juilliard-trained dermatologist..."

pcpunk
03-23-2022, 08:55 PM
I imagine you couldn’t fall down without hitting something musical in the Reznor household.

Erneuert
03-23-2022, 10:59 PM

CbayG6mvcfR

Her skin is looking nice. Extra points for being astrology-orientated like yours truly.

A new sigil would be more than welcome at this point.

sick among the pure
03-24-2022, 07:55 PM
I imagine you couldn’t fall down without hitting something musical in the Reznor household.

While this is probably pretty true, I'm sure she knows from the master sneaky photo troll himself how to set up details to either hint at something... or just be a complete troll knowing the fans will go crazy speculating.

New HTDA would be awesome, but I'm not going to get my hopes up until something actually happens.

pcpunk
03-24-2022, 08:30 PM
I refuse to allow myself to hope until I see them in studio together

BRoswell
03-25-2022, 08:49 AM
ARG?!?!

No, but seriously, I'm not really sure how that post hints at new HTDA music. She has headphones on...ergo they must be recording new music? She could be listening to anything on those headphones (maybe even some new NIN music), or maybe she just threw them on for the pic. I'd love to hear some new music, but this doesn't feel like a hint or a clue to me.

cdm
03-25-2022, 09:36 AM
No, but seriously, I'm not really sure how that post hints at new HTDA music. She has headphones on...ergo they must be recording new music? She could be listening to anything on those headphones (maybe even some new NIN music), or maybe she just threw them on for the pic. I'd love to hear some new music, but this doesn't feel like a hint or a clue to me.

It's wild speculation...but it also could be carefully crafted to be a hint. Headphones, various musical shits in the background, likely taken in a studio, caption "...in her natural element". But who knows. I hope it is hinting at new HTDA but I'm not going to Vegas either.

ekrekel
03-25-2022, 11:29 AM
ARG?!?!

C'mon, how can you have lived through YZ ARG and still believe in coincidences?

Not looking to go too deep here, but TR has previously stated that the music stuff is relatively well contained in the studio and perhaps one dedicated space elsewhere.

fillow
03-25-2022, 01:29 PM
What if it's new West Indian Girl album

Kyle
04-11-2022, 08:02 PM
C'mon, how can you have lived through YZ ARG and still believe in coincidences?

Because I also lived through Add Violence

Wolfkiller
04-25-2022, 09:09 AM
I heard they plan on doing a romantic duet cover of Only, changing the lyrics to "There is no you, there is only WE!"

Erneuert
04-25-2022, 10:12 AM
I heard they plan on doing a romantic duet cover of Only, changing the lyrics to "There is no you, there is only WE!"

Followed shortly after with the Constipation Mix (“there is no poo, there is only pee.”)