PDA

View Full Version : Jack White/Third Man

Pages : [1] 2

scorpiusdiamond
12-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Two things. 1. NIN didn't do the only U2 cover. Fuck me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPJZujpMjCc

2. Get your Third Man iPhone cases now (http://thirdmanrecords.com/news/view/christmas-just-aint-christmas-without-a-45-case-full-of-records-under-the-tree)

dominik
01-15-2012, 05:46 AM
is this a general Jack White Band thread? Because I have to say, I really love The Dead Weather, and I'm just getting into The Raconteurs. Consolers of the Lonely is an amazing album.

bobbie solo
01-15-2012, 06:39 AM
i think both those bands are head & shoulders above The White Stripes, who i could never get into. I see them as gimmicky and a fun novelty, whereas The Raconteurs and The Dead Weather are two groups of serious musicians.

dominik
01-15-2012, 06:54 AM
The White Stripes are awesome too, but I like The Dead Weather the most I guess, because it has a darker vibe and it has Alison Mosshart and Jack Lawrence in it. JL's bass work is totally awesome, just listen to Old Enough by The Raconteurs, and you gotta love Alison Mosshart.

richardp
01-15-2012, 11:07 AM
I want a third Dead Weather album so much. They put on one of the best live shows I've ever seen.

Space Suicide
01-15-2012, 11:11 AM
I love all - Raconteurs, The Dead Weather, White Stripes and solo. He can do no wrong, ever.

I like Dead Weather the most as it fits with my overall tastes and ideals more. White Stripes were always awesome. Raconteurs are good as well and my least fave of all White related endeavors.

Though Jack's ICP collaboration on that Mozart sampled thing was a bit weird and wrong and bad.

dominik
01-15-2012, 12:25 PM
i've read on a blog that white is a catholic douche who doesn't like gays. hope that isn't the truth!

richardp
01-15-2012, 01:43 PM
i've read on a blog that white is a catholic douche who doesn't like gays. hope that isn't the truth!

That seems highly unlikely. He seems like the nicest guy ever.

scorpiusdiamond
01-15-2012, 03:49 PM
There was an ace documentary called 'Red White and Black' on BBC 6Music today, for those of those in the UK. If not, I'm sure it'll be public elsewhere sometime soon.

dominik
01-17-2012, 08:03 AM
you guys gotta check out the Hang You From The Heavens remix by josh homme and mark lanegan.

The Doctor
01-20-2012, 11:38 AM
you guys gotta check out the Hang You From The Heavens remix by josh homme and mark lanegan.

+1 It's Awesome. And as for the original post, Jack's cover of "Love Is Blindness" is probably one of the best things I heard last year. Chilling.

The Reason Being
01-30-2012, 11:25 AM
http://jackwhiteIII.com/

"Love Interruption", the first taste of Jack White's debut album, Blunderbuss (Third Man Records/XL Recordings) out April 23, is available exclusively to Third Man Records Vault members to hear now! Check back at 1:30 pm CST to hear a free stream of the song.

Third Man Records will release a 7" of the single featuring non-LP B-side "Machine Gun Silhouette" on February 7 but it's available to pre-order now.

october_midnight
03-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Two things. One: Jack White is playing here in 2 months and I'm fuckin' going. YES.

And two: Will the White Stripes ever reform, even for a festival years down the road? "Absolutely no chance." (http://www.pitchfork.com/news/45881-echo-chamber-jack-white/)

richardp
03-22-2012, 04:34 PM
That is the coolest fucking answer you could ever give.

Space Suicide
03-22-2012, 04:55 PM
His new single is great, heard it on Alt Nation the other day.

october_midnight
04-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Will the White Stripes ever reform, even for a festival years down the road? "Absolutely no chance." (http://www.pitchfork.com/news/45881-echo-chamber-jack-white/)

And now...

"I really, really miss The White Stripes." (http://www.nme.com/news/jack-white/63111)

Kid Charlemagne
04-06-2012, 04:40 PM
If we're talking about Third Man Records in here, I'd like to add that Alabama Shakes are fucking cool.

Frozen Beach
04-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Is there really an exact reason why The White Stripes broke up? Is it due to Meg White's fear of large crowds? That doesn't make sense to me since they actually don't have to do live shows, they could easily just do what The Beatles did and not play live.

richardp
04-07-2012, 11:37 AM
I think it just boils down to the simply fact that they just don't want to anymore.

october_midnight
04-09-2012, 03:47 PM
New live White Stripes DVD and 7" on the way. (http://pitchfork.com/news/46078-the-white-stripes-to-release-new-live-dvd/)

october_midnight
04-16-2012, 06:50 PM
drrrrrrrip drip

(holy. fuck.)

The Reason Being
04-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Streaming now on iTunes. Nice stuff.

Piko
04-27-2012, 07:24 PM
So, what's the point of having two bands? They kinda sound the same. Just a change in aesthetic I guess? Sounds awesome either way though. Just can't wrap my head around the touring bands though.

Deadpool
04-27-2012, 08:13 PM
So, what's the point of having two bands? They kinda sound the same. Just a change in aesthetic I guess? Sounds awesome either way though. Just can't wrap my head around the touring bands though.

I watched a promo for Jack's live show tonight (the one directed by Gary Oldman) where he answers that question: it boils down to him needing to keep the tour interesting and dangerous so he doesn't fall into a comfort zone. He apparently rehearses the songs differently with each band, so as he's calling them out (there's no setlist), he may accidentally start playing the song the way he does with the other band. I found that really, really interesting because it's the same need he describes in Under Great White Northern Lights (amazing documentary by the way), only inverted in a way because he's doing it with two full bands instead of just one other person. Fascinating stuff. Also, Jack is very, very wealthy so he can indulge his idiosyncrasies in a really cool, elaborate manner.

And am I the only one loving the fact that Autolux's Carla Azar is his girl drummer? So awesome. Go Carla!!

Piko
04-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Carla is a beast on drums. Wonder what they do differently though. Pretty cool idea though.

hologram parade
04-28-2012, 06:51 PM
I got into JW/Third Man through The Dead Weather Back in Sep, 2009. Recently I have picked up a handful of Third Man releases and gotten into The White Stripes. IDK why, but I cant decide if I like the Vault package idea or not - does anyone here have first hand experience with this?

My TMR vinyl:
First Aid Kit - Universal Soldier
Karen Elson - Milk & Honey
The White Stripes - Hello Operator
Jack White - Love Interruption
Conan O'Brien - And They Call Me Mad?
The Dead Weather - Hang You From the Heavens, Sea of Cowards
Carl Sagan - A Glorious Dawn

ImTheWiseJanitor
04-29-2012, 01:52 AM
I just wanted to say that I listened to the leak, and now I feel like I want to go to the nearest music store and buy up every single copy of his solo album. AWESOME work.

scorpiusdiamond
04-29-2012, 07:58 PM
So um, it's only April but I'm pretty sure Blunderbuss may be one of the best albums released all year.
Freedom at 21 has gone into my top ten all time favourite songs.
GOD DAMN it's good.

Space Suicide
04-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Yeah, just downloaded this album finally this afternoon. Good tunes, good tunes.

richardp
04-29-2012, 10:19 PM
The only thing I wish was different about the album, was that it had a little less country and more Freedom At 21. Not saying it's bad by any means, I just prefer the loud shit over his country works.

ImTheWiseJanitor
04-29-2012, 11:03 PM
The only thing I wish was different about the album, was that it had a little less country and more Freedom At 21. Not saying it's bad by any means, I just prefer the loud shit over his country works.

You know, I kiiind of agree, but I think that the country sound is presented in a way that I find more likeable. It's definitely not like he's pulling an Aaron Lewis and saying "HEY GUYS, I CAN PLAY COUNTRY STUFF, TOO!" I'll say it caught me off guard at first, but it's definitely warmed up to me after playing the record off and on all day.

scorpiusdiamond
05-01-2012, 10:02 AM
By the way, if you have a spare two hours the Gary Oldman (!!!) directed show from Webster Hall is god damn beautiful. You can check out individual clips or the whole show on here (http://www.youtube.com/user/JackWhiteVEVO). Well worth checking out.

The setlist went like this:
Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
Missing Pieces
Freedom At 21
Love Interruption
Hotel Yorba
Two Against One (Rome cover)
Top Yourself (Raconteurs song)
I'm Slowly Turning Into You (White Stripes song)
Blue Blood Blues (Dead Weather song)
Take Me With You When You Go
Sixteen Saltines
I Cut Like a Buffalo (Dead Weather song)
Weep Themselves to Sleep
Trash Tongue Talker
You Know That I Know (Hank Williams cover)
We're Going to be Friends
Hypocritical Kiss
Hello Operator
Carolina Drama (Raconteurs song)
Seven Nation Army
Goodnight Irene (Leadbelly cover)

Rdm
05-03-2012, 01:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kFepHUlNtA

Wow

The Doctor
05-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Here's my review of Blunderbuss for anybody that's interested: http://ourvinyl.com/jack-white-blunderbuss-revie/

october_midnight
07-09-2012, 01:13 PM
The White Stripes to release recordings of first ever live show. (http://www.pitchfork.com/news/47104-the-white-stripes-to-release-recordings-of-first-ever-live-shows-from-1997/)

NotoriousTIMP
08-12-2012, 07:00 PM
So I guess Jack White and Co just played a semi-secret Forrest show outside of OUTSIDELANDS. I have a photo coming shortly by a friend of mine who sat dead center in front of JW....

NotoriousTIMP
08-12-2012, 07:01 PM
As promised....

http://img.tapatalk.com/aefdd0d7-43ec-5036.jpg

NotoriousTIMP
08-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Looks like Tom Morello showed up too!

http://img.tapatalk.com/aefdd0d7-61c9-04c6.jpg

BlueCalx
10-01-2012, 01:33 PM
What a hero (http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/jack-white-totally-pisses-off-new-york-crowd). Between this joker and Billy Bob from Green Day, it's been an excellent couple weeks for aging rocker diva fits.

Piko
10-01-2012, 07:50 PM
There's probably a good reason for the short set. Yeah, i'd be mad if I were there. Maybe he was sick?

Space Suicide
10-01-2012, 08:04 PM
What a hero (http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/jack-white-totally-pisses-off-new-york-crowd). Between this joker and Billy Bob from Green Day, it's been an excellent couple weeks for aging rocker diva fits.

Billy Bob comment made me laugh.

There's probably a good reason for the short set. Yeah, i'd be mad if I were there. Maybe he was sick?

I'm sure. I just read and watched some videos and he was clearly not in his usual mood and was at a faster pace.

The Reason Being
10-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Yeah he seems pretty pissed at the crowd for I guess not doing much. "Did you get your popcorn yet? Has the movie started?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXuPj9FEadg&feature=channel&list=UL

Forgive the annoyingly edited video.

dpeters
10-01-2012, 08:45 PM
What's the big deal about the short set?

An hour is ideal for me, especially if he had touring compatriots.

Frozen Beach
10-01-2012, 09:20 PM
People who bitch about not getting an encore don't deserve an encore. Remember when encores weren't an always guaranteed thing?

BlueCalx
10-01-2012, 09:41 PM
No offense, but why do you guys rush to his defense? Mr. White doesn't need your defense. Also, context matters. 45 minutes at a festival, sure, why not, it's to be expected. 45 minutes at a headlining gig, midway through your tour, in a major city? Not OK. It's a let-down and a waste of money. It's unprofessional to berate your audience from the stage before you give up in frustration, and it's even more unprofessional to run a feed of a bottle of Veuve Cliquot champagne from backstage on to the main hall's projector, as a let-them-eat-cake gesture, whilst your (former?) fans chant "Fuck Jack White" outside.

bobbie solo
10-02-2012, 02:06 AM
this show cost $90. for $90, that's bullshit & ripping off your fans, plain & simple. he's a shitty person for doing it, even if his frustration with the crowd was valid (and it seemed so). Sorry, you don't get to screw people over like that when you charge that much to see you. I won't be seeing him again outside of a festival performance. Think about what we as NIN fans got for our $90 back in the summer of '09, both between the best seat to the tour with JA, and then the Wave Goodbye shows. Jack White, that's fucked up man.

StopRemembering
10-02-2012, 02:10 AM
I was there in the second row of the orchestra pit Saturday, it was definitely one of the most memorable shows I've ever been to. Honestly it surprises me a little that people are so butthurt about the whole thing because aside from Jack's bitchy comments (which is something he's known to do if the crowd sucks and believe me, at least up in the front it really did) it was a goddamn good show. This was my fourth time seeing him solo (also seen him 3x each with the White Stripes and Dead Weather) and performance-wise it was the best. His male backing band the Buzzards have really gelled into a cohesive unit and were in top form and Jack himself was tearing apart his guitar like he had something to prove, I've never seen him play with fury like that before. Yeah the tickets were pricey and yeah he usually plays 5 or 6 more songs but minute for minute it was a really intense set, and I'd rather see a show like that than a show that goes on for 2 hours where the artist is just phoning it in & doesn't really try.

People who bitch about not getting an encore don't deserve an encore. Remember when encores weren't an always guaranteed thing?
Exactly how I feel. Maybe it was different elsewhere in the venue but the people in my area did nothing to deserve an encore. They were the biggest bunch of lifeless, miserable, bored-looking hipster fucks I've ever seen at a show, most of them weren't paying attention to what was happening on the stage or even clapping between songs, they were just fucking around on their iPhones and having conversations as if they were in their own homes. As an audience member those sort of people piss me off, I can't imagine how frustrating behaviour like that is to a performer.

frankie teardrop
10-02-2012, 10:26 AM
i agree about general shitty concert etiquette, phone chatter, lifeless crowds, etc. i've severely cut down my own concert going for this very reason. however, as some have said above, charing almost $100 for a 50 minute, festival length show is a grey area that makes this a little more difficult to accept. there's something unprofessional about talking shit about a crowd, cutting the set short, yet still taking that money to the bank. i'm sure there were shitty people at the gig, but what about all the actual passionate fans who were stiffed? too bad? easy to focus on the negative but whatever way you spin this, it was still a dick move.

as an aside- i've noticed a trend with NYC/radio city. it seems a lot of the indie bands (however you want to define that) who play at that venue tend to play on the shorter side. i get the feeling this is generational- that these bands don't have the energy or the repertoire to play longer sets. jack white certainly does, though.

Baphomette
10-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Remember when encores weren't an always guaranteed thing?
No.
I can't think of one concert that I've gone to where an artist didn't come out for at least one encore.

NotoriousTIMP
10-02-2012, 04:39 PM
I remember when encores were special and not done every night......

BlueCalx
10-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Frozen Beach doesn't, he's 21.

NotoriousTIMP
10-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Frozen Beach doesn't, he's 21.

But you know who does remember? Pepperidge Farm remembers....

richardp
10-02-2012, 11:19 PM
No.
I can't think of one concert that I've gone to where an artist didn't come out for at least one encore.

If I remember correctly, NIN didn't do encores during the final Wave Goodbye shows and I thought that was amazing. I specifically remember them staying onstage the entire two and a half hours during the Chicago show I saw.

frankie teardrop
10-02-2012, 11:33 PM
key words: two and a half hours.

Baphomette
10-03-2012, 03:40 PM
If I remember correctly, NIN didn't do encores during the final Wave Goodbye shows.They did an encore for the Echoplex show but they didn't do one for the final Wiltern show.

So, I'll amend my previous statement:
I can't think of one concert that I've gone to (other than the last NIN show at the Wiltern) where an artist didn't come out for at least one encore.

dominik
10-05-2012, 07:29 AM
I saw him in Lisbon a few weeks ago, it cost 30 Euros, was 2 hours, he played and encore, the crowd went nuts and it was one of the best concerts i've ever been to.

scorpiusdiamond
10-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Going to see Jack with The Kills (yes, that's right THE KILLS) supporting...
Gonna get me some of that Dead Weather action I hope.

sukey
10-05-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm genuinely struggling to think of a gig I've been to where the band didn't encore. I suppose that's because I'm only 20.

When I saw Jack White I absolutely loved his no phones rule. I wish every band did that. Maybe people would be more present and deserve their encore that way.

richardp
10-06-2012, 05:38 PM
So question: if I were to sign up for The Vault now, would I still get the current White Stripes vault package, as well as the Jack White Solo vault package that his in like 25 days I think?

StopRemembering
10-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Going to see Jack with The Kills (yes, that's right THE KILLS) supporting...
Gonna get me some of that Dead Weather action I hope.
I am so, SO jealous of you, that is going to be a killer show. I hope Jack and Alison do something crazy on stage, it's been way too long since the Dead Weather were active. Shame that it doesn't look like they'll be reconvening anytime soon.

So question: if I were to sign up for The Vault now, would I still get the current White Stripes vault package, as well as the Jack White Solo vault package that his in like 25 days I think?

No, the registration for package #13 (the Stripes' first show etc) ended three or four months ago and TMR is in the process of shipping it out now. If you sign up before 10/31 you'll be getting the new one, which'll probably start shipping around New Year's.

richardp
10-06-2012, 09:07 PM
No, the registration for package #13 (the Stripes' first show etc) ended three or four months ago and TMR is in the process of shipping it out now. If you sign up before 10/31 you'll be getting the new one, which'll probably start shipping around New Year's.

Ok cool, thanks. I've been on the fence for a while about joining but just have never done it. The Jack White Solo package is making me change my mind though. I think it's really cool that you basically pay the $60 and then don't ever have to re-pay, even though you still get the packages forever.

StopRemembering
10-09-2012, 02:41 AM
Ok cool, thanks. I've been on the fence for a while about joining but just have never done it. The Jack White Solo package is making me change my mind though. I think it's really cool that you basically pay the $60 and then don't ever have to re-pay, even though you still get the packages forever.The $60 is per package, actually. It seems like a fair bit of cash but IMO all but one or two of the Vault releases have been well worth it, and it includes US shipping too. Unfortunately this is the first package I have to actually consider whether or not to sign on for though as I was recently laid off and money is getting tight. I could live without the LP but I really really want that 7" and the photo book.

october_midnight
08-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Jack White reveals he has another solo album in the works, as well as new recordings with The Dead Weather and The Raconteurs. (http://www.nme.com/news/jack-white/71343)

BRoswell
08-26-2013, 12:33 PM
Jack White reveals he has another solo album in the works, as well as new recordings with The Dead Weather and The Raconteurs. (http://www.nme.com/news/jack-white/71343)

"Give to daddy."

StopRemembering
08-29-2013, 03:16 PM
http://thirdmanstore.com/thevault/home/show/say-what/

The Dead Weather working on new songs in the studio yesterday… (and searching for bodies)
http://31.media.tumblr.com/1d10f7aa0a96414876e9e5c7e9a0a958/tumblr_msaqya1l911rycptxo1_500.jpg

SO EXCITED.

ILoveFestivals
08-29-2013, 08:07 PM
^^^ I am sooo stoked for this new album! BUT!!! Where the hell is the new Raconteurs album? Surely that should come first?

scorpiusdiamond
08-30-2013, 08:34 AM
God damn accidental facepalm. Sorry!
I am so blown away by this. Dead Weather to follow QOTSA and NIN new albums? Dreamy.

StopRemembering
10-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Vault Package #18 was just announced, the Raconteurs' 2011 Ryman show is finally getting an official release, but more importantly NEW DEAD WEATHER SONGS & A NEW LP COMING IN 2015.

From the Vault: (http://thirdmanstore.com/thevault/home/show/vault-package-18/)

THIRD MAN RECORDS PRESENTS FINAL VAULT PACKAGE OF 2013: THE RACONTEURS LIVE AT THE RYMAN AUDITORIUM LP & DVD

THE DEAD WEATHER "Open Up (That's Enough)" / "Rough Detective" 7-INCH

Subscription Deadline October 31st

Summer is turning to fall. Days are getting shorter, nights are getting longer. The smell of burning leaves and car tires fills the air and Third Man proudly preps its final Vault package for the 2013 calendar.

The LP this coming quarter is a stunning live recording of the Raconteurs live at the Ryman Auditorium. Recorded from their most recent spell of shows in September 2011, the set is chock-full of all the unforgettable original tunes (no covers!) that make this band so essential. Of particular import are the barnstorming, bring-the-house down versions of "Blue Veins" and "Carolina Drama" both clocking in at over ten minutes in length. You like horn sections? Then dig the crack team on "The Switch and the Spur" and "Many Shades of Black." The band captured here hits the mark at full-throttle. Pressed on two LPs of 180-gram vinyl goodness, disc one on a rich rawhide and tobacco colored vinyl and disc two on luscious gold and oil colored vinyl.

The 7" this go-round is incredibly special. Two BRAND NEW studio recordings from the Dead Weather. "Open Up (That's Enough)" and "Rough Detective" are unlike anything else the band has ever done and are both ample reminders of the ferocity of this motley collection of low-lifes, grifters and ne'er-do-wells. These songs are not throw-aways. These songs are not demos. These songs are not outtakes. This 7" will ONLY be available via Vault subscription. No other 7" of these songs will be made. The whole thing is pressed on striking yellow jacket vinyl and coupled with a custom glue-pocket picture sleeve, a slight shift from the Vault's usual die-cut company sleeves.

Is there more to come from this? Yes there is. The Dead Weather's plan is to record and release two-song sets until 2015 at which time they will release a full album that contains these singles plus many more album-only tracks. It's a unique long-term plan for new music from this incendiary group. The songs WILL be released digitally, but not until Vault packages have been dispatched to subscribers. The goal is that physical copies are out there first.

Our bonus item here is a companion DVD of the Raconteurs performance from the Ryman Auditorium. The four camera, high-definition shoot includes the venue (the venerable Ryman, where everyone from Hank Williams to Harry Houdini has performed) as an essential character. There's a reason why folks call the Ryman "the mother church" and we think this film illustrates the reasoning behind that precisely and pricelessly. To not only hear, but see the Raconteurs at their arguable zenith is a treat unparalleled.

The Raconteurs Live at the Ryman Auditorium September 15, 2011 LP/DVD track list:1. Consoler of the Lonely / 2. Hands / 3. Level / 4. Old Enough / 5. Top Yourself / 6. Many Shades of Black / 7. The Switch and the Spur / 8. Intimate Secretary / 9. Broken Boy Soldier / 10. Blue Veins / 11. Salute Your Solution / 12. Steady, As She Goes / 13. Carolina Drama

http://24.media.tumblr.com/0f2848a0458a8f1e51c2ca6a18b82941/tumblr_mu1veq1utt1rycptxo4_1280.jpg

You can listen to a clip of “Hands” live from the Ryman HERE (https://soundcloud.com/thirdmanrecords/the-raconteurs-hands-from-live), and a clip of the new Dead Weather song “Open Up (That’s Enough) HERE (https://soundcloud.com/thirdmanrecords/the-dead-weather-open-up-thats/s-8bZjq). The new DW song reminds me of "I Feel Strange", it has the same sort of classic rock vibe. Can't say I'm keen on waiting ~2 years for the album but between other new tracks being released & the possibility of a new Kills and/or Jack White LP in the interim it shouldn't be too bad. When the DW tour again I'm gonna lose my mind, they're fucking fantastic live. Their show at the Music Hall of Williamsburg in 2009 still stands as one of my top 3 shows of all time, it was incredibly ferocious & raw & fun.

violetkat
10-02-2013, 01:18 PM
So glorious. And epic. I can't wait for this one and #17 hasn't even arrived yet!

ILoveFestivals
10-04-2013, 04:24 PM
That is the sexiest Vault package yet!

hologram parade
12-05-2013, 11:45 AM
third man collection
http://25.media.tumblr.com/0da54014f8017a6b52d9a7c1260f49c7/tumblr_mwn0m4wjgm1qf2ic8o2_1280.jpg

StopRemembering
12-14-2013, 11:05 AM
^ Nice, seeing that makes me want to round up my collection as I haven't listened to any of my TMR vinyl in about 6 months. I always forget what the inside image for "Horehound" is, the first time I opened that LP it really creeped me out, hah.

Rips of the new Dead Weather song "Open Up (That's Enough)" have started popping up, it sounds like they're picking up right where they left off:

http://youtu.be/Cif6y-Ejf9w

And here's the b-side, "Rough Detective":

http://youtu.be/e01NUqKO_ow

Neither song is blowing my mind by itself, I dig 'em but they sound like quick one offs that could do with a little more refining & studio time, but the fact that the 4 of them are working together again makes me so fucking happy.

Lew
01-10-2014, 12:07 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jack-white-finishing-up-new-album-20140105

let the pacing begin...

read the comments, btw...pretty amusing, or at least they were a few days ago.

Lew
01-10-2014, 12:10 PM
rofl:
I'm going to Wichita / In my 3 legged pants / And when I get there / All the men gonna dance (JackFan28)

or

My husband and I chose to have one of his songs played at our wedding. I still remember dancing to "3 Legged Army". I still cry when I think about it. (Sharon Smith)

october_midnight
04-01-2014, 10:24 AM
Jack White announces new album 'Lazaretto', out June 10th. First single later this month, here's an instrumental from it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRbnAxrS3EM

http://cdn3.pitchfork.com/news/54604/3a26d63f.jpg

october_midnight
04-03-2014, 12:38 PM
On Record Store Day, April 19th, Jack will record a live version of the title track 'Lazaretto' which will be transferred immediately to acetate, rushed back, printed, and sold in store only a few hours later. (http://www.nastylittleman.com/2014/04/03/jack-white-third-man-records-present-the-worlds-fastest-released-record/)

Fixer808
04-05-2014, 12:24 PM
High Ball Stepper contains some SERIOUSLY crunchy guitar!

october_midnight
04-07-2014, 12:26 PM
In addition to the previously announced festival dates, Jack is excited to announce his first headline shows in North America, Europe and the United Kingdom since 2012. A limited number of pre-sale tickets will be available to Vault members (http://www.thirdmanrecords.com/vault.html) at 10am local time on Wednesday, April 9th. Tickets go on sale to the public at 10am local time on Friday, April 11th.
May 29: Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa, OK (http://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/543195) *
May 30: Wild West in Lubbock, TX (http://dinproductions.frontgatetickets.com/choose.php?a=1&lid=93101&eid=104118)*
June 2: Municipal Auditorium in Shreveport, LA (http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1B004C8478E84ED7) *
June 3: Saenger Theatre in New Orleans, LA (http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1B004C84D88CE6D7) *
June 5: The Fillmore Charlotte in Charlotte, NC (http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0E004C8209A3DF40) *
June 26: Royal Hospital Kilmainham in Dublin, Ireland (http://www.ticketmaster.ie/Jack-White-tickets/artist/1536082)
June 29: L'Olympia in Paris, France (http://www.olympiahall.com/rock-electro/jack-white.html)
June 30: L'Olympia in Paris, France (http://www.olympiahall.com/rock-electro/jack-white.html)
July 3: Heineken Music Hall in Amsterdam, Netherlands (http://www.olympiahall.com/rock-electro/jack-white.html)
July 5: Eventim Apollo in London, England (http://www.ticketmaster.nl/event/128891)
July 20: Fox Theatre in St. Louis, MO (http://www.gigsandtours.com/event/jack-white/eventim-apollo/783427/) +
July 21: Eagles Ballroom in Milwaukee, WI +
July 23: Chicago Theatre in Chicago, IL +
July 24: Auditorium Theatre in Chicago, IL +
July 27: Stage AE Outdoors in Pittsburgh, PA +
July 28: Fox Theatre in Detroit, MI +
July 30: Masonic Temple Theatre in Detroit, MI +
July 31: Air Canada Centre in Toronto, ON +

* with Kelley Stoltz (http://www.kelleystoltz.com/)
+ with Benjamin Booker (https://www.facebook.com/benjaminbookerNOLA)

Lew
04-13-2014, 03:31 PM
going to the toronto show.
fucking CHUFFED.

BrokenSpiral
04-14-2014, 08:53 AM
I really hope this one is a return to rock. His last one was a bit too country/folky for me. If HBS is any indication, I'd say it sounds like he's leaning towards a more rock, guitar driven sound on this one.

october_midnight
04-21-2014, 02:18 PM
Tracklist and video recap of the 'world's fastest' RSD record. (http://pitchfork.com/news/54853-jack-white-releases-worlds-fastest-released-record/)

Santos L Halper
04-21-2014, 03:53 PM
New single "Lazaretto". Awesome track!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYF0LtfUvJs

Maul
04-22-2014, 04:23 AM
Can't wait for the new album.

BrokenSpiral
04-23-2014, 10:50 AM
Awesome song.

dominik
05-02-2014, 04:33 AM
Are there any tickets left for ANY show in Europe?

GulDukat
05-02-2014, 07:15 AM
New single "Lazaretto". Awesome track!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYF0LtfUvJs

Eh...

I guess JW isn't really my thing. This isn't bad though. Has a bit of a retro 70s funk feel which is pretty cool.

R37R0
05-04-2014, 02:43 PM
I got the new PUSA album "Kudos To You" at one of their shows in the UK, apparently it was pressed by third man

october_midnight
05-06-2014, 01:03 PM
'Lazaretto' details. (http://pitchfork.com/news/55075-jack-whites-lazaretto-ultra-lp-contains-hologram-in-vinyl-tracks-hidden-under-labels-more-fun-stuff/)

A hologram on the vinyl? wat.

october_midnight
05-12-2014, 12:06 PM
He's doin' it again lol. Tonight on Jimmy Fallon, Jack is performing with Neil Young...one take live, and it'll be pressed on to vinyl for sale almost immediately.

ImTheWiseJanitor
05-12-2014, 12:24 PM
'Lazaretto' details. (http://pitchfork.com/news/55075-jack-whites-lazaretto-ultra-lp-contains-hologram-in-vinyl-tracks-hidden-under-labels-more-fun-stuff/)

A hologram on the vinyl? wat.

I'm really glad that all of that bonus stuff that makes it an "ultra LP" is included on the standard edition and not just on an overpriced ultra edition or the Vault edition. If it was, I'm not sure if I'd bother getting it, but since it's already on the $20-something record, that just sweetens the deal.

StopRemembering
05-21-2014, 06:45 PM
Now that Lazaretto's release is only a few weeks away a bunch of stuff is starting to pop up.

NPR talked to Jack for All Songs Considered (http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2014/05/20/313991548/jack-whites-lazaretto-the-all-songs-interview), it's a very relaxed interview & they play clips of some new songs including the previously unheard "Want & Able" & "Temporary Ground". They don't sound anything like what I was expecting after hearing "High Ball Stepper" & "Lazaretto", they remind me more of leftover Blunderbuss songs. Which I don't mind because I ADORE that record.

Jack's on the cover of this week's Rolling Stone, and you can hear "Just One Drink" on their website. (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/lazaretto-premiere-hear-jack-whites-driving-blues-just-one-drink-20140516)

If you're a member of the Vault you can download a studio version of "The Power of My Love" & a live recording of "Top Yourself" recorded just 2 days ago during tour rehearsals. (http://thirdmanstore.com/thevault/downloads/) "Top Yourself" sounds so fucking different, I dig it. This tour is gonna be a monster.

And lastly, a possible spoiler for the upcoming tour: There's a heavy rumour going around that for the upcoming LA shows Jack will be backed by a band that includes members of both the Peacocks and the Buzzards. No word if that's how the entire tour is gonna work but it seems likely. Or maybe he'll rotate members for each show. Who knows, he's nuts. Regardless I'm really hoping Carla Azar & Lillie May Rische make appearances, they're wonderfully talented.

october_midnight
05-23-2014, 10:12 AM
Jack White 'almost never' talks to Meg, says she wasn't that supporting during the White Stripes days. (http://pitchfork.com/news/55303-jack-white-says-he-almost-never-talks-to-hermit-meg-white-says-she-wasnt-supportive-during-the-white-stripes/)

jmtd
05-27-2014, 05:53 AM
Jack White 'almost never' talks to Meg, says she wasn't that supporting during the White Stripes days. (http://pitchfork.com/news/55303-jack-white-says-he-almost-never-talks-to-hermit-meg-white-says-she-wasnt-supportive-during-the-white-stripes/)

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I feel a bit sorry for Meg, she obviously had serious issues, the 2007 tour that was cancelled (with a date in Newcastle UK. Jesus. NOBODY plays my home town, ever. The one time they do...) was because she had anxiety problems. Perhaps her quiet nature was part of all that. She got a lot of shit from music snobs and drummers for her style, too.

scorpiusdiamond
05-27-2014, 09:00 AM
She never wanted to be in the band, that's all there was to it

FernandoDante
05-30-2014, 08:15 PM
Jack White really really thinks The Black Keys copied The White Stripes. I like both bands, and think they are different enough and obviously took different career paths. What do you think?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jack-white-without-the-stripes-thered-be-no-black-keys-20140530

Frozen Beach
05-30-2014, 11:43 PM
I find this funny. Anyone know the name of the band that The White Stripes were accused of ripping off? It was some band with two dudes, and it wasn't The Black Keys.

BRoswell
05-31-2014, 12:16 AM
I like Jack White. I think he's a pretty smart guy, but he REALLY needs to stop putting other artists down. I get that he's a very opinionated guy, but he doesn't look any better than the people who insult him when he talks about them.

StopRemembering
05-31-2014, 12:26 AM
I find this funny. Anyone know the name of the band that The White Stripes were accused of ripping off? It was some band with two dudes, and it wasn't The Black Keys.
I think you're talking about the Flat Duo Jets, although Jack's always openly admitted that they were a major influence on the Stripes.

I couldn't care less about this Black Keys thing, but I do wish the press would stop bringing it up & Jack didn't sound so fucking childish when asked about it. It's just boring gossip rag bullshit. Talk about the new record or the tour or the Vault or the future of TMR or something that actually matters.

richardp
05-31-2014, 12:14 PM

The Von Bondies. Jack even beat the shit out of the singer once at a nightclub.

Also I don't think Jack needs to apologize for shit. Black Keys and Lana Del Rey really suck. Not an ounce of originality in either of those artists.

StopRemembering
05-31-2014, 12:15 PM
And now Jack's issued a pretty sincere sounding statement apologizing for & clarifying what he's said about the Black Keys, Meg White & the record industry. (http://jackwhiteiii.com/an-apology-and-explanation-from-jack-white/)

Good on you, Jackie. Now let it die.

And I don't even want to talk about this but what he said about Meg in that Rolling Stone interview never seemed negative to me, just kind of hurt & sad. It sounds like there were a lot of times through the Stripes' run where they were both in situations they didn't want to be in. Some people want to be famous, some people are just in the right place at the right time & end up that way. I think Meg is the latter, I mean even Jack has said it's insane that the Stripes became such a huge thing if you look at who they are, what they did & how they did it. Meg isn't interested in the spotlight, and you can't be around Jack without getting some of it on you, so she disappeared after the breakup. End of. A lot of people I know who like the Stripes are really eager to make Jack the villain in their breakup but that's such a pointlessly adversarial way of looking at it. Ultimately no one other than Jack & Meg know what happened, and that's fine, they don't owe anyone an explanation. In the end it's just another stupid tabloid 'story' that no one should give a fuck about.

Nah, they were a 4 piece that came up the same time as the Stripes. There was a rumour for a while that Jack wrote "Fell in Love With a Girl" about their bassist 'cause she's a redhead & they were dating at the time. The first Von Bondies album was recorded in Jack's living room, he helped them come up in the Detroit scene, so he took offense when Stollsteimer started going around talking shit about Jack, calling him a sellout & whatever after the Stripes got big. Ugly, stupid situation all around.

FernandoDante
05-31-2014, 01:04 PM

Also I don't think Jack needs to apologize for shit. Black Keys and Lana Del Rey really suck. Not an ounce of originality in either of those artists.
Nope. Flat Duo Jets.

But Jack admits they were an inspiration.

richardp
06-01-2014, 01:15 AM
Nah, they were a 4 piece that came up the same time as the Stripes. There was a rumour for a while that Jack wrote "Fell in Love With a Girl" about their bassist 'cause she's a redhead & they were dating at the time. The first Von Bondies album was recorded in Jack's living room, he helped them come up in the Detroit scene, so he took offense when Stollsteimer started going around talking shit about Jack, calling him a sellout & whatever after the Stripes got big. Ugly, stupid situation all around.

Ahhh ok. Literally the only Von Bondies song I've ever heard was that song of theirs that was the Rescue Me theme song. I just remember them having a huge beef.

scorpiusdiamond
06-01-2014, 06:47 AM
That paragraph about The Black Keys feels like it's dripping with sarcasm and irony to me.
edit: Also, christ, Rolling Stone shoehorned in a Bieber reference in that article? For fuckin' shame.

scorpiusdiamond
06-02-2014, 04:37 PM
Apologies for the bump but Lazaretto is streaming on iTunes (edit: US only, nuts), which almost always means it's been leaked.

richardp
06-02-2014, 10:41 PM
I feel like being old fashioned with this LP and actually waiting to hear the whole thing via spinning the Ultra LP on release day. Anyone who listens to all of it, is the album more Highball Stepper level shit or just it sink back into the backwoods country sound that Jack has gotten into lately? (Not saying it's a bad sound)

Digital Twilight
06-03-2014, 08:21 AM
Apologies for the bump but Lazaretto is streaming on iTunes (edit: US only, nuts), which almost always means it's been leaked.

It's on iTunes in the UK now. Listening to it as I speak.

scorpiusdiamond
06-03-2014, 12:52 PM
I do not rate it, which sucks...

StopRemembering
06-03-2014, 01:37 PM
I feel like being old fashioned with this LP and actually waiting to hear the whole thing via spinning the Ultra LP on release day. Anyone who listens to all of it, is the album more Highball Stepper level shit or just it sink back into the backwoods country sound that Jack has gotten into lately? (Not saying it's a bad sound)
It's jarringly mixed between country stuff & experimental/guitar stuff. There are some really fantastic things on here (Would You Fight For My Love, Temporary Ground & That Black Bat Licorice are my favourites) but most of it is mediocre at best. Blunderbuss is way better IMO, far more consistent.

BRoswell
06-03-2014, 10:48 PM
I definitely want to give it a listen WITHOUT fucking iTunes interrupting the flow to assure me that, yes, I am listening to the new Jack White album, but I dug it. Not as much as Blunderbuss, but that album had to grow on me as well, so we'll see what happens.

BRoswell
06-04-2014, 11:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI-95cTMeLM

Kid Charlemagne
06-04-2014, 01:19 PM
I thought it was pretty bland and boring overall. There are some good songs on there, I think the last half of the album is okay, but it's not breaking any new ground. I think my biggest problem is Jack as a lyricist, he's never been a strong wordsmith, but it's glaring on here. "Three Women" has laughably bad lyrics, and that sort of sets the tone from there. It sort of feels rushed and half assed, like he's closing himself off from more. JW likes to rag on The Black Keys, but this album is probably just as disappointing and frustrating as Turn Blue.

BrokenSpiral
06-04-2014, 04:59 PM
Man this album is pretty bad. I'm disappointed. Boring country music is not where he shines. Oh well, moving on.

richardp
06-05-2014, 02:34 AM
Dammit, you guys aren't making me feel very great about holding off on listening. I'm still ultimately going to pick up the LP though because I'm a sucker for that things endless amount of physical gimmicks.

jmtd
06-05-2014, 03:01 AM
Glad I held off, but I'm still going to preview it to make my own mind up.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-06-2014, 07:00 PM
All and all, I like it! I think people have spoken enough about Blunderbuss being better overall, but this is definitely its own record, as opposed to feeling like "Blunderbuss b-sides." It's generally more of the same, though, in a good way. "Would You Fight For My Love?" is siiick. I'll have to listen to it again tonight. I feel like it has potential to change its standing with me if I digest it some more.

Also, I have no idea how the hologram thing works. Maybe it's just the lighting in the room or something, but I ain't seeing that shit at all.

Edit: It WAS the lighting. Pretty neat to look at, though! Kind cool that it's dependent on the angle of the light, and it warps around in size and position as the light source moves.

And if you're planning on getting it, you might as well pre-order it from Third Man or whoever else for $20 before it shoots up to $30, or even higher if they ever stop pressing the "Ultra" LPs.

StopRemembering
06-06-2014, 08:10 PM
Been listening to this album non stop in my car, it's grown on me considerably. "Just One Drink" is really fun to sing along to when you're zooming down the highway with the windows down. I still think Blunderbuss is significantly stronger & that almost every song could benefit from a little more refining & another verse or two, but overall I'm really enjoying it.

dominik
06-07-2014, 03:51 PM
On a first listen I think that it's on the one hand REALLY good with songs like Lazaretto, Would you fight for my love, high ball stepper, the black licorice, i tink i found the culprit.. but the other songs kind of feel like filler songs.

jmtd
06-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Great reception in the uk broadsheets, 5/5 in telegraph and observer. Going to see if I can pick it up for <£20 this week.

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
06-09-2014, 04:42 AM
I really feel like "Rockstars" like Jack White are partially responsible for the current sad state Rock music is in as well as assisting in the pusifaction of our youth! He dresses like a douche, has hair like a douche, tries to dance like a douche, writes douche lyrics, delivers vocals like a douche, puts out songs with ICP like a douche, makes the resurgence of vinyl douchey (which is sad because I love vinyl just not all of his douchey gimmicks), plays guitar like he is some guitar god but he isn't (he is just a douche-God), he no longer plays in that one band he was in that was good like a douche and plenty of other douche things. I really do like the White Stripes but he has freaking ran being a douche into the ground. I gave a couple new songs a listen but rather than enjoyment all I experienced was ear douchery. OMG Jack, you are so retro! RETRO DOUCHE THAT IS!!!

dominik
06-09-2014, 06:43 AM
I really feel like "Rockstars" like Jack White are partially responsible for the current sad state Rock music is in as well as assisting in the pusifaction of our youth! He dresses like a douche, has hair like a douche, tries to dance like a douche, writes douche lyrics, delivers vocals like a douche, puts out songs with ICP like a douche, makes the resurgence of vinyl douchey (which is sad because I love vinyl just not all of his douchey gimmicks), plays guitar like he is some guitar god but he isn't (he is just a douche-God), he no longer plays in that one band he was in that was good like a douche and plenty of other douche things. I really do like the White Stripes but he has freaking ran being a douche into the ground. I gave a couple new songs a listen but rather than enjoyment all I experienced was ear douchery. OMG Jack, you are so retro! RETRO DOUCHE THAT IS!!!

what do you think he is again?

jmtd
06-09-2014, 07:40 AM
Pressing error on lp, stock recalled from my local shop

dominik
06-09-2014, 09:05 AM
new tour dates announced for november (including the o2 arena, LOL)

StopRemembering
06-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Pressing error on lp, stock recalled from my local shop
That's weird, lots of people have gotten their Vault packages & there hasn't been any mention of consistent defects on the LP, just a couple skips here & there. Ostensibly the regular version is pressed from the same plates, but maybe not.

jmtd
06-09-2014, 10:25 AM
That's weird, lots of people have gotten their Vault packages & there hasn't been any mention of consistent defects on the LP, just a couple skips here & there. Ostensibly the regular version is pressed from the same plates, but maybe not.

Yeah, only one shop in Newcastle have said this to me, hmv had it in stock. Maybe they got a bad batch, maybe nobody else had clocked to a pressing error yet.

richardp
06-09-2014, 11:44 AM

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc49/richardpepper/lucille-portable_zpsccfac5f7.gif

wight rabbit
06-09-2014, 12:55 PM

I believe the words you are looking for are: "I don't care for Jack White, or his music." Probably would have saved your fingers, no?

StopRemembering
06-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Yeah, only one shop in Newcastle have said this to me, hmv had it in stock. Maybe they got a bad batch, maybe nobody else had clocked to a pressing error yet. Yeah it's looking like a bad batch, there are a couple vinyl rips out there, one of which has some problems, the other is fine. Glad it isn't the whole run, I know a couple people who are picking up the LP tomorrow.

Between this & the various problems there have been with many of the Vault releases I'm starting to wonder why Jack doesn't cut ties with URP & open his own pressing plant. He certainly has the money for it.

richardp
06-10-2014, 12:53 AM
Finally am listening to this, and I don't know guys, I think this one's slightly better than Blunderbuss. There's some true bangers on this LP.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-10-2014, 01:30 PM
So, he announced a few summer dates. KANSAS CITY BEING THE FIRST ONE. I'm so there.

Jack is pleased to announce new Summer & Fall North American tour dates. Visit http://jackwhiteiii.com/ for more information, ticket links, and Vault pre-sale and general on-sale dates and times.

Tomorrow, June 11th, Jack will stop by to chat with good friend Conan O’Brien and perform on his show Conan O'Brien Presents: Team Coco on TBS at 11pm ET/PT.

August 18: Midland Theatre in Kansas City, MO
August 20: Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre in Morrison, CO
August 23: Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco, CA
August 25: Paramount Theatre in Seattle, WA
August 26: Paramount Theater in Seattle, WA
August 28: Deer Lake Park in Vancouver, BC
September 14: Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD
September 17: The Bleacher Theater at Fenway Park in Boston, MA

october_midnight
06-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Oh lawd gonna have to hit up that August show methinks.

StopRemembering
06-10-2014, 03:29 PM
In lieu of a proper NY stop I'm gonna be making the trek to the Merriweather. Kinda always wanted to catch a show there anyways, I've heard nothing but nice things about that venue.

BTW NPR is streaming video from the album release show at The Fonda in LA tonight at 9:45PM PST/12:45AM EST. Based on the audio stream from Governor's Ball on Saturday it's gonna be a crazy show.

october_midnight
06-10-2014, 04:40 PM
Damn, a pair of tickets gonna set me back $160!!! Sonofabitch. Worth it though, and in the sickest venue.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-10-2014, 07:03 PM
Damn, a pair of tickets gonna set me back $160!!! Sonofabitch. Worth it though, and in the sickest venue.

Yeah dude, these are gonna be pricey, AND I found out that there's no chance of me having the 18th OR the 19th off, so I'm gonna be working full 11-hour shifts on either side of that show. Worth it!

october_midnight
06-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, for a show like this $160 ain't jack lol. I'm perhaps just comparing it to the last White Stripes show I went to at the same venue that was 2/3 of the price lol!!

Landshark
06-10-2014, 09:55 PM
http://www.npr.org/event/music/319666614/live-tuesday-jack-white-in-concert

NPR will be streaming his show live in a couple of hours if anyone's interested.

henryeatscereal
06-11-2014, 01:20 PM
I'm glad "Lazaretto" is out, but is it too much to ask for the new "Dead Weather" album he promised long time ago?

StopRemembering
06-11-2014, 03:15 PM
Dead Weather is coming in 2015, Jack had Lazaretto to put out & the Kills have a new record coming out (hopefully not too far off) so those projects have to be taken care of first. The next Vault package is probably gonna have another DW 7" in it, it's been a while since the first one.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Is the Vault worth it? I've been considering it a little more since that special Vault edition of Lazaretto was announced, and I'm curious about the prices of whatever's in the store. I might just take the bait on the next Vault package and see how I feel about it.

Also, obligatory statement about loving The Dead Weather.

StopRemembering
06-12-2014, 01:49 AM
The worthwhileness of a platinum Vault sub (the $60/quarter one) varies based on the package content. There have been some truly gorgeous packages (the White Stripes' first & last shows & the Raconteurs Live in London are my favourites) but there have been a few that were kind of crap too (like the Greenhornes EP which was only about 20 minutes long, and the package before the Lazaretto one which was just repressings of the 4 singles from Elephant with nice sleeves & a nice box, no new material). The next package should be announced in early July so you might want to wait until then to sign up.
If you're mainly interested in the Novelty shop & ticket presales you might want get a gold sub ($20/quarter). Getting concert tickets via the Vault is awesome because a) they're usually cheaper than the general sales and b) there is an early entry drawing for almost every show, so you have a chance of getting in 10 minutes before everyone else to hit the merch table and stake out your place on the rail. The merch prices in the Novelty shop are pretty reasonable, on average leftover Vault 7"s go for $15, LPs go for $30, and shirts go for $15. Vault items are stocked at random though so there's no knowing what will be available when, and popular items sell out really fast. Leftover Rolling Record Store merch also gets posted from time to time and they have Vault member only merch too, which tends to be slightly more expensive than the actual package leftovers.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-12-2014, 06:24 PM
The worthwhileness of a platinum Vault sub (the $60/quarter one) varies based on the package content. There have been some truly gorgeous packages (the White Stripes' first & last shows & the Raconteurs Live in London are my favourites) but there have been a few that were kind of crap too (like the Greenhornes EP which was only about 20 minutes long, and the package before the Lazaretto one which was just repressings of the 4 singles from Elephant with nice sleeves & a nice box, no new material). The next package should be announced in early July so you might want to wait until then to sign up.
If you're mainly interested in the Novelty shop & ticket presales you might want get a gold sub ($20/quarter). Getting concert tickets via the Vault is awesome because a) they're usually cheaper than the general sales and b) there is an early entry drawing for almost every show, so you have a chance of getting in 10 minutes before everyone else to hit the merch table and stake out your place on the rail. The merch prices in the Novelty shop are pretty reasonable, on average leftover Vault 7"s go for $15, LPs go for $30, and shirts go for $15. Vault items are stocked at random though so there's no knowing what will be available when, and popular items sell out really fast. Leftover Rolling Record Store merch also gets posted from time to time and they have Vault member only merch too, which tends to be slightly more expensive than the actual package leftovers.

Yeah, I was thinking I'd wait until the next announcement, but for $60, getting a bundle of things (whether I think they're amazing or kinda meh) sound like a good deal, when it also includes early tickets, that online store, all that goodness. I make enough that $60 four times a year isn't too strenuous on my wallet, so I may end up just buckling down and signing up. The only detail I was unsure about was the online store, haha. I just wanted to know if it was fairly-priced stuff or if it was overpriced junk. But that answer helps! I'll probably sign up when the next package gets announced.

BrokenSpiral
06-13-2014, 10:48 AM
So I'm really into 'Would You Fight For my Love?' But I'm still not feeling the rest of it.

richardp
06-13-2014, 12:39 PM
Scored tickets to the Kansas City show in a presale yesterday, but it seems like I got l lucky. Lots of people I know who tried for tickets weren't so lucky and all say it was pretty much sold out before it ever went online.

Pretty excited though. I caught his set at Lollapalooza 2012 and it was fantastic. It'll be nice to see it in such a small setting now.

icecream
06-14-2014, 12:33 AM
Got mine too! I think I might be more excited to see JW this summer than I am for NIN. How big is the venue?

Loved the new album. I'd agree with Richardp that it is slightly better than Blunderbuss. To me, Blunderbuss seemed like a White Stripes album while Lazaretto feels different.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-14-2014, 11:58 AM
Scored tickets to the Kansas City show in a presale yesterday, but it seems like I got l lucky. Lots of people I know who tried for tickets weren't so lucky and all say it was pretty much sold out before it ever went online.

Pretty excited though. I caught his set at Lollapalooza 2012 and it was fantastic. It'll be nice to see it in such a small setting now.

Yeah, that shit was crazy. I didn't have a chance. I was kinda expecting to just get on and get tickets, not deal with that "waiting room" system. People must've been "in line" for an hour or more before they even went up. They were all sold out by 10:15, and probably way before that. :\

/butthurt

StopRemembering
06-14-2014, 01:14 PM
That sucks, it's always a scramble to get tickets to see Jack but that seems worse than usual. Keep an eye out though, they've been releasing small batches of tickets the day before or day of for most of the shows this tour via both the Vault & Ticketmaster, you might get lucky.

richardp
06-14-2014, 02:14 PM
Yeah, that shit was crazy. I didn't have a chance. I was kinda expecting to just get on and get tickets, not deal with that "waiting room" system. People must've been "in line" for an hour or more before they even went up. They were all sold out by 10:15, and probably way before that. :\

/butthurt

Yep, I had a friend who got in the waiting room half an hour before it went on sale and she said that as soon as the tickets went live all sections were strikes out already with "No Tickets Available". She stayed in the room for an additional hour waiting for possible tickets to open back up and it never happened. This is what happens when a dude who could easily perform at Sprint Center keeps some dignity and still chooses small theaters.

october_midnight
06-14-2014, 03:28 PM
Or a giant, beautiful outdoor venue in the middle of a B.C. summer that isn't even half sold out.

dominik
06-14-2014, 05:17 PM
Or a giant, beautiful outdoor venue in the middle of a B.C. summer that isn't even half sold out.

or the o2 in london

The Doctor
06-24-2014, 06:16 PM
Better late than never...here's my review of Lazaretto: http://blog.ourvinyl.tv/jack-whites-lazaretto-album-review/

StopRemembering
06-25-2014, 01:09 AM
So some odd stuff's afoot in the Vault. This fake retro video about surgical face masks was posted there yesterday under the heading "WHAT'S JACK WHITE WATCHING?":
http://youtu.be/j8ICUvVp24I
In the description on its YouTube page there's a link to a website (http://vescovoandco.com/) with some Jack Whiteish imagery & subtle Lazaretto references where you can fill out a survey & enter your email address for "FREE CONTAGIOUS & INFECTIOUS DISEASE TESTING". There's also a phone number with a London area code at the bottom of the page but no one's gotten a response from either that or the email yet. The JW/TMR fan camp doesn't seem to have any idea what to make of it, but it looks to me like it could be the beginnings of a weird little ARG. I hope there's more to it than this, the scant groundwork they've laid could build up to something interesting.

GulDukat
06-25-2014, 01:39 PM
Just got around to listening to the new album and quite like it, and I say that as someone who isn't a WS/JW fanatic.

ImTheWiseJanitor
07-07-2014, 06:24 PM
I'll probably sign up when the next package gets announced.

And that time is now. Splooge.

http://www.thirdmanrecords.com/news/view/vault-package-21

http://www.thirdmanrecords.com/assets/NewsPhotos/Vault21webmockupLRGSansClickthru750.jpg

icecream
07-09-2014, 10:18 PM
So is the regular vinyl edition of Lazaretto the Ultra-LP? I can't find any info on a deluxe edition or anything.

StopRemembering
07-09-2014, 11:06 PM
Pretty excited for package 21. That new Dead Weather track sounds SO GOOD & soundboard quality live Stripes material is always welcome, although I wish they'd put out something from the 2003 or 2005 tours. Having all of these early shows is pretty wonderful though. I absolutely could not give less of a fuck about the flag, it seems like a pretty dull extra. I'd rather have another t-shirt, at least I'd get some use out of that.

So is the regular vinyl edition of Lazaretto the Ultra-LP? I can't find any info on a deluxe edition or anything.
The ultra LP is the only vinyl version of Lazaretto & that seems to be the plan indefinitely, TMR hasn't said anything about pressing a version without all of the lovely bells & whistles. The only special edition that will ever exist is the blue & white split version from Vault package #20, which is identical to the regular release except it's pressed on coloured wax & has different artwork.

jmtd
07-10-2014, 02:28 AM
Despite finally having my turntable set back up I still haven't spun the ultra lp.

ILoveFestivals
07-21-2014, 02:34 PM
Is anybody here going to see him in Detroit on the 28th at the Fox Theatre or the 30th at the Jack White Theatre?

Scarlet Siren
07-22-2014, 07:20 PM
Did everyone get Vault Package #20 OK? I hit with a hefty customs charge :( a friend of mine received the regular vinyl and not the vault package, TMR have yet to respond to her.

Caught shows in Paris (x2), Amsterdam and London and BBC Radio 1 Zane Lowe session. Absolutely, fucking outstanding. Looking forward to seeing shows in Brussels, Leeds, Glasgow and London in November.

arewhyehen
07-22-2014, 08:43 PM
Did everyone get Vault Package #20 OK? I hit with a hefty customs charge :( a friend of mine received the regular vinyl and not the vault package, TMR have yet to respond to her.

Caught shows in Paris (x2), Amsterdam and London and BBC Radio 1 Zane Lowe session. Absolutely, fucking outstanding. Looking forward to seeing shows in Brussels, Leeds, Glasgow and London in November.

Email Cam at vault@thirdmanrecords.com

He should get back to you about the issues. He is usually pretty good when I have issues.

I don't usually get hit with customs fees in Canada, but I know a lot of people in Europe do.. IF you got a hefty customs fee, email Cam at the address above and let them know. Send him a photo of the customs bill. They admitted they fucked up on the customs declaration values so they are giving 35% coupon to those who were hit with fees.

arewhyehen
07-22-2014, 08:46 PM
Is anybody here going to see him in Detroit on the 28th at the Fox Theatre or the 30th at the Jack White Theatre?

I will be at both of these shows as well as the Toronto show. I love how the NIN Detroit and Toronto dates worked out perfectly around the Jack White Detroit and Toronto shows. I also have a Weezer show Thursday.... Literally have 6 shows in 8 days. haha

arewhyehen
07-22-2014, 08:47 PM
Just got around to listening to the new album and quite like it, and I say that as someone who isn't a WS/JW fanatic.

Raconteurs is his best stuff, but I do like his new album. He is one of the best modern day artists live though. I put Jack up there with Trent..

GulDukat
07-22-2014, 09:21 PM
Raconteurs is his best stuff, but I do like his new album. He is one of the best modern day artists live though. I put Jack up there with Trent..
I saw both the Raconteurs and TWS live--good shows and I like White's work. IMHO he's overrated, but I agree that he is one of the best modern day artists around.

Scarlet Siren
07-22-2014, 09:31 PM
Email Cam at vault@thirdmanrecords.com

He should get back to you about the issues. He is usually pretty good when I have issues.

I don't usually get hit with customs fees in Canada, but I know a lot of people in Europe do.. IF you got a hefty customs fee, email Cam at the address above and let them know. Send him a photo of the customs bill. They admitted they fucked up on the customs declaration values so they are giving 35% coupon to those who were hit with fees.

Yip. I have my discount code. Got the email for that last week :) Just wondered how everyone else got on. Thanks though.

Scarlet Siren
07-22-2014, 09:33 PM
I saw both the Raconteurs and TWS live--good shows and I like White's work. IMHO he's overrated, but I agree that he is one of the best modern day artists around.

I prefer The Dead Weather. Never got in to The Racs, so I never saw them live. But saw TDW and TWS plenty.

ILoveFestivals
07-22-2014, 10:10 PM
I will be at both of these shows as well as the Toronto show. I love how the NIN Detroit and Toronto dates worked out perfectly around the Jack White Detroit and Toronto shows. I also have a Weezer show Thursday.... Literally have 6 shows in 8 days. haha
Nice! That's going to be a great week!
I've got the same schedule minus the Toronto Jack White show and Weezer. My ride fell through for NIN Detroit though, so I'm still trying to figure out a way of getting there. Stupid Detroit with no bus service to DTE! Haha

arewhyehen
07-22-2014, 10:15 PM
I prefer The Dead Weather. Never got in to The Racs, so I never saw them live. But saw TDW and TWS plenty.

Never seen TDW. Still waiting for that to complete seeing all his bands live. I have a hard time picturing him as the drummer and not the front man. He is just a great frontman, IMO. I have seen The Kills live and they are incredible. Alison has great stage presence so I could see the Dead Weather being great live.

arewhyehen
07-22-2014, 10:17 PM
Since we are on topic about Jack...Here is a photo of him at the Cubs game tonight on his night off, before he plays back to back Chicago shows starting tomorrow.
Priceless..

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2138362-jack-white-or-his-lookalike-looks-absolutely-miserable-at-a-chicago-cubs-game

StopRemembering
08-19-2014, 01:24 PM
Some footage from the Vescovo & Co secret show in London (http://www.clashmusic.com/reviews/live-report-jack-whites-secret-show-london#view-gallery-image-1) last month just popped up, albeit in a very odd fashion:
http://youtu.be/lqLjXrfTWkM

Hopefully that means TMR will release a complete video sometime, it sounds like it was a really bizarre & unique show.

Scarlet Siren
11-10-2014, 04:40 AM
Some footage from the Vescovo & Co secret show in London (http://www.clashmusic.com/reviews/live-report-jack-whites-secret-show-london#view-gallery-image-1) last month just popped up, albeit in a very odd fashion:
http://youtu.be/lqLjXrfTWkM

Hopefully that means TMR will release a complete video sometime, it sounds like it was a really bizarre & unique show.

I was SOOOOOOO close to getting it to that secret show. There was a list of people who were lucky enough to attend. Some folk including myself showed up just in case, they let two people who weren't on the list in and guess who was third. This girl :( Anyway, I shouldn't complain, only a few hours before I'd just watch Jack and the band perform in a room with 40 people for BBC 1's Zane Lowe's Sessions. It was AMAZING.

So, who's signed up to the next Vault package?

Who's seeing Jack in Europe over the next week or two? I'm going to Prague, Frankfurt, Brussels, Glasgow and London. If you're there, stop by and say hello :)

ImTheWiseJanitor
01-06-2015, 06:17 PM
MOAR live Stripes? Yes, please. http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/01/the-white-stripes-new-live-album-and-film-captures-legendary-brazil-concert-in-2005/

https://consequenceofsound.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/jack-white-amazon.jpg

october_midnight
01-07-2015, 12:57 PM
Just think of all the other White Stripes stuff he's just sitting on haha....damn.

spiralout
01-07-2015, 01:07 PM
That Vault package looks great! Question: If you sign up for the vault do you also need to pay for these packages? Or is it something that comes with the subscription? I was a little unclear after looking at the website....

The Doctor
01-07-2015, 02:37 PM
That Vault package looks great! Question: If you sign up for the vault do you also need to pay for these packages? Or is it something that comes with the subscription? I was a little unclear after looking at the website....

Paying for a Vault subscription is essentially paying for this package. One and the same.

StopRemembering
01-07-2015, 05:57 PM
I didn't think TMR would top package #22 so soon but damn, #23 is fucking gorgeous. Plus the mention of GBMS's 10 year anniversary all but guarantees that it'll finally get a proper vinyl release this year, and probably something special come RSD too.

Just think of all the other White Stripes stuff he's just sitting on haha....damn.
There's been a heavy rumour circulating for a long time now that Jack has recordings of all of the Stripes' shows. Seemed a little far fetched at first but given the variety of material that's come out via the Vault over the years & the fact that one of Jack's most bizarre claims was recently proven to be true (http://thirdmanrecords.com/news/upholsterers-2nd-single-spotted/) it's a lot more plausible now. Also there's a rumour that long time TMR photog & friend James Swanson is sitting on a big ol' pile of footage from a variety of Jack's projects. Hopefully this'll all see the light of day sooner rather than later.

Paying for a Vault subscription is essentially paying for this package. One and the same.
So long as you're paying for the $60 sub. The $20 sub only gets you access to the Vault website, including the Novelty Shop (where they sell exclusive Vault merchandise & extra stock of past package components) and any ticket presales that might occur that quarter.

The Doctor
01-09-2015, 10:48 AM
So long as you're paying for the $60 sub. The $20 sub only gets you access to the Vault website, including the Novelty Shop (where they sell exclusive Vault merchandise & extra stock of past package components) and any ticket presales that might occur that quarter.

That's true. I guess I don't even consider the $20 option and oftentimes forget about it, because c'mon who just wants the website access and other minor details? You subscribe to Vault FOR these packages, or at least anyone I've spoken to does anyway.

spiralout
01-27-2015, 08:38 PM
Subscribed to the vault about 2 weeks ago because there was no way I was not going to get package 23, then it was announced yesterday morning that Jack's playing a show here on 4/15. Scored myself some presale tickets this morning.

I'd say that worked out pretty well.

StopRemembering
03-02-2015, 09:22 PM
Get Behind Me, Satan is finally getting a proper vinyl release on Record Store Day. (http://modern-vinyl.com/2015/03/02/rsd-2015-get-behind-me-satan-coming-to-vinyl/)

So so so ridiculously excited to pick this up.

spiralout
03-31-2015, 01:33 PM
I received Vault Package 23 in the mail yesterday....and it's beautiful.

StopRemembering
03-31-2015, 04:57 PM
Got mine yesterday too, it really is a stunner. Haven't given the records a spin yet but I adore the print & postcards, Rob Jones' aesthetic worked so well with the Stripes' sensibilities. Kind of disappointing that the DVD is exactly the same as the special that aired on MTV back in 2005, but at least the LP is the whole show. I hope TMR keeps boxing the Vault packages like they've done with #22 & #23, it's a much nicer way to keep everything together & shipping is a lot safer than it was with their old method of shoving everything into the LP sleeve & shrink wrapping it. Although each package takes up 3-4 LPs worth of space on my rapidly filling record shelves, but whatever.

Jack was on the Vault chat this morning & hinted at there being a new tier of the Vault coming that'll include a discounted subscription to Jay-Z's Tidal music streaming service. Jack's heavily involved in the company & will be posting exclusive content there (the White Stripes' first TV performance is up now, no idea what else may be coming). It's caused a bit of a ruckus among Vault subscribers because exclusive digital content was supposed to be part of the deal from the get go, but very little has actually been posted. Having to get another subscription to see stuff that's ostensibly Vault worthy is rubbing people the wrong way.

october_midnight
04-14-2015, 10:46 AM
Jack White announces surprise acoustic tour; will then take a 'long break from performing live' (http://pitchfork.com/news/59269-jack-white-announces-surprise-acoustic-tour-taking-a-break-from-performing-live-for-a-long-period-of-time/)

Five acoustic shows in states he's never played in, shows will be announced day of, tickets sold at the venue for $3 each.

wight rabbit
04-14-2015, 03:43 PM
Jack White announces surprise acoustic tour; will then take a 'long break from performing live' (http://pitchfork.com/news/59269-jack-white-announces-surprise-acoustic-tour-taking-a-break-from-performing-live-for-a-long-period-of-time/)

Five acoustic shows in states he's never played in, shows will be announced day of, tickets sold at the venue for $3 each.

$3 each?! Awesome! That's going to sell out fast, though...

spiralout
04-14-2015, 06:18 PM
I'm going to be seeing Jack tomorrow night here in Hawaii, been waiting a long time for this show.

october_midnight
04-20-2015, 11:33 AM
First show is tonight in Anchorage, Alaska. (http://jackwhiteiii.com/first-acoustic-show-anchorage-ak/)

Kodiak33
04-20-2015, 01:53 PM
Saw Jack White at Coachella, they were phenomenal. Probably the best set of the weekend for me.

StopRemembering
04-26-2015, 08:19 PM
The final acoustic show is being live streamed via Tidal & the Vault in 10 minutes. Afterwords it'll be archived on both sites to be watched any time.

Pillfred
04-26-2015, 11:33 PM
Yeah I made the mans Grill Cheese sandwich tonight.

october_midnight
05-26-2015, 10:29 AM
Kind of depressing Q&A answers from Jack. (http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/05/jack-white-i-dont-belong-here-most-of-the-time-its-torture-trying-to-find-reasons-to-stay/)

tl;dr version:

Any future full-blown tours? It's "not worth it...only seated theater acoustic shows for the rest of my days."
Meg White? "She doesn't answer her phone...that time is gone."
What if they're inducted in to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame? "Doubt it...and doubt it."
What is something most may not know about you? "...that I don't belong here and most of the time it's torture trying to find reasons to stay.'

wtf?

october_midnight
07-06-2015, 09:47 AM
New Dead Weather album 'Dodge & Burn' drops in September. Article. (http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/07/the-dead-weather-announce-new-album-dodge-burn/)

https://consequenceofsound.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/unnamed.jpg?w=800

october_midnight
09-15-2015, 09:28 AM
So terrible that they're not touring this album at all...they're on fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAonl9nN03Q

StopRemembering
09-15-2015, 06:03 PM
Oh gods Alison is so brilliant in that video. Glad to see she's still got that intense & ferocious stage presence, she's mellowed a bit when she plays with the Kills. It really is a fucking shame that they're not touring this record.

Space Suicide
09-15-2015, 10:42 PM
I was surprised and delighted to see them on The Late Show last night.

StopRemembering
09-18-2015, 09:31 AM
Dodge and Burn is streaming in full on the Vault and through Tidal right now.

october_midnight
09-24-2015, 11:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLiYeSGTNL8

caca
09-26-2015, 10:02 AM
I'm digging the hell out of the new album. The Dead Weather are by far my favorite Jack White outfit not called The White Stripes.

october_midnight
02-05-2016, 11:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbYPWB4IFlA

bobbie solo
12-08-2016, 12:11 AM
Apologize if this was discussed already. I can't enter the Beyonce thread again without wanting to put my head through my laptop. Cannot stand her at all.

Now that I've heard it, it seems pretty obvious that the Beyonce/Jack White song nominated for a Grammy was a leftover/re-work of something for Alissa Mosshart & The Dead Weather. They put in some embarrassingly dumb lyrics instead, but it has that Dead Weather sound & Mosshart/White's vocal style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6VQPP7zzP4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImbW-p4c4gQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98oMvKF-78Y

october_midnight
01-10-2018, 11:06 AM
New album "Boarding House Reach" officially announced. (https://pitchfork.com/news/jack-white-announces-new-album-boarding-house-reach/?mbid=social_twitter)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQxm-dFp0Og

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyWqEFeKX2E

These new tracks are definitely..... something.

renton44
01-10-2018, 02:15 PM
I am not too excited about the new music, but its Jack White, I'll take what I can get. I am looking forward to hopefully catching him at Boston Calling (if QOTSA are on the same day that would be amazing). I was at 'that show' at Radio City Music Hall years ago and I know he is better than he performed that night, so hoping for some redemption.

BRoswell
01-10-2018, 03:13 PM
Digging the new tracks, although the video for Connected By Love is a bit too on-the-nose for my taste.

renton44
01-10-2018, 06:02 PM
I am finding Connected By Love to be really depressing for reasons I cannot explain; and therefore am starting to love it.

october_midnight
01-12-2018, 11:20 AM
Boarding House Reach - March 23

https://consequenceofsound.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/boarding-house-reach.jpg

Boarding House Reach Tracklist:
01. Connected By Love
02. Why Walk A Dog?
03. Corporation
04. Abulia and Akrasia
05. Hypermisophoniac
06. Ice Station Zebra
07. Over and Over and Over
08.Everything You’ve Ever Learned
09. Respect Commander
10. Ezmerelda Steals The Show
11. Get In The Mind Shaft
12. What’s Done Is Done
13. Humoresque

A special limited-edition version of Boarding House Reach will be released as the latest installment in Third Man Records’ Vault subscription series (https://thirdmanstore.com/tmr-vault-platinum-subscription-new). The blue and black swirl vinyl comes packaged within alternate album artwork. Plus, there’s a two-song 7-inch demo containing “embryonic” versions of “Connected By Love” and “Why Walk a Dog?”, as well as exclusive photographs, original poetry written by White, and more.

https://consequenceofsound.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/white-boarding-vault.gif?w=806

renton44
01-12-2018, 12:36 PM
...and I joined the Vault (again....).

NotoriousTIMP
01-12-2018, 06:07 PM
...and I joined the Vault (again....).

I've been a member for years and do not regret it one single bit...

renton44
01-13-2018, 08:37 AM
I've been a member for years and do not regret it one single bit...

I had to cancel for a bit to get some things taken care of at the house and then forgot to rejoin. Ugh, lol. But it is a fantastic service, wish more bands could do something like it.

GulDukat
01-13-2018, 06:01 PM
I think Meg White, Art Garfunkel and Andrew Ridgeley should form a band together.

october_midnight
01-16-2018, 09:22 AM
Jack White 2018 tour datesApril 19: Little Caesars Arena, Detroit, MI
April 20: Eagles Ballroom, Milwaukee, WI
April 21: 20 Monroe, Grand Rapids, MI
April 23: Baxter Arena, Omaha, NE
April 24: Providence Medical Center Amphitheater, Bonner Springs, KS
April 25: Chaifetz Arena, St. Louis, MO
April 27: Bomb Factory, Dallas, TX
April 29: Bomb Factory, Dallas, TX
April 30: Revention Music Center, Houston, TX
May 1: Revention Music Center, Houston, TX
May 2: 360 Amphitheater, Austin, TX
May 4-6: Shaky Knees Music Festival, Atlanta, GA
May 25-27: Boston Calling Music Festival, Boston, MA
May 27: Brewery Ommegang, Cooperstown, NY
May 29: The Anthem, Washington, DC
June 1-3: Governors Ball Music Festival, New York, NY
June 4: Express Live! Outdoor Amphitheater, Columbus, OH
June 6: Jacobs Pavilion at Nautica, Cleveland, OH
June 7: Dome Arena, Rochester, NY
June 8: Artpark Amphitheater, Lewiston, NY
June 9: Budweiser Stage, Toronto, ON
June 27: London, UK, Hammersmith Apollo
June 28: London, UK, Hammersmith Apollo
July 2: AFAS Live, Amsterdam, NL
July 3 & 4: L'Olympia, Paris. FR
August 6: The Armory, Minneapolis, MN
August 8: 1st Bank Center, Broomfield, CO
August 9: SaltAir, Salt Lake City, UT
August 11: Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR
August 12: Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC
August 13: WAMU Theatre, Seattle, WA
August 15: Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, CA
August 19: Santa Barbara Bowl, Santa Barbara, CA
August 21: Viejas Arena, San Diego, CA
August 22: Comerica Theatre, Phoenix, AZ
August 23: The Chelsea @ The Cosmopolitan, Las Vegas, NV

BrokenSpiral
01-16-2018, 09:56 AM
New songs don’t do anything for me. For me, he’s gotten worse with every solo release. I just don’t think he has it anymore.

bobbie solo
01-17-2018, 02:03 AM
Hey cool the new songs blow. Great!

I personally have been waiting for almost a decade now for him to reform the Raconteurs. Both they & The Dead Weather are his best output imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXfpre4w540

BRoswell
01-26-2018, 01:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFnXRntc9XA

october_midnight
01-26-2018, 08:39 AM
Sigh...hoping the whole album isn't like this.

bobbie solo
01-26-2018, 12:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFnXRntc9XA

"who's with me?"

No one based on the reactions to these tracks.

You take how bad these new songs are coupled with his no cellphone policy and I wonder if it will hurt ticket sales at his upcoming non-festival shows. I know I won't be going.

caca
01-26-2018, 12:37 PM
"who's with me?"

No one based on the reactions to these tracks.

You take how bad these new songs are coupled with his no cellphone policy and I wonder if it will hurt ticket sales at his upcoming non-festival shows. I know I won't be going.

I like the 2nd half of "Corporation," and I'm digging "Respect Commander," but I'm kind of meh about "Connected By Love."

I got pre-sale tickets a couple of days ago to his stop in Phoenix. I haven't seen him live since 2005 (White Stripes GBMS tour), so I'm looking forward to it.

NotoriousTIMP
01-26-2018, 02:17 PM
I actually appreciate his no cellphone policy and wish more artists would do something similar

october_midnight
03-21-2018, 02:39 PM
Uhhh....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c24Wp4N34oA

bobbie solo
03-22-2018, 01:21 AM
Jesus Christ is he rapping? Yeah, basically. Dude needs someone to tell him "no" in the studio.

thevoid99
03-22-2018, 01:29 AM
Jesus Christ is he rapping? Yeah, basically. Dude needs someone to tell him "no" in the studio.

I don't think I want to hear that.

BrokenSpiral
03-22-2018, 06:45 AM
He used to be so clever. Unfortunate that he drank his own kool-aid.

october_midnight
03-22-2018, 08:24 AM
Word is it's a track from his scratched collaborative album with Jay-Z that he liked so much it was shoved on the new album. It's just so, so awful...

Space Suicide
03-22-2018, 09:49 AM
Further proof that rapping put into genres other than hip hop sucks ass. Then again we already have nu metal.

bobbie solo
03-22-2018, 11:24 PM
Further proof that rapping put into genres other than hip hop sucks ass. Then again we already have nu metal.

It can work with nu-metal/metal, but it's very tenuous. Only a few pulled it off well. Rage, first hed pe (fuck you fight me), first Limp Bizkit, Judgement Night Sdtk, early Deftones, Orange 9mm, Candiria, Downset (not my cup of tea but people say it holds up). I didn't mind Reveille either but they weren't great obviously.

What was generally more effective was marrying the musical side of hip hop to metal, but leaving out the actual rapping. Slipknot (Bleed It out though is garbage bc Corey's actually rapping there and it's so bad), early Incubus, etc.

bobbie solo
03-22-2018, 11:25 PM
Word is it's a track from his scratched collaborative album with Jay-Z that he liked so much it was shoved on the new album. It's just so, so awful...

Yeah I read this earlier and just shook my head. Reminded me that he did something with ICP back in the day too haha.

BRoswell
03-22-2018, 11:33 PM
Just finished streaming the album. I kind of agree with some of the reviews that mention that it works better as a whole. It's definitely less focused than the first two albums, but it's not the disaster that people have been predicting.

october_midnight
03-23-2018, 02:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShCRN3tFy80

BRoswell
03-23-2018, 04:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zwmw_gaFbk

bobbie solo
03-23-2018, 11:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShCRN3tFy80

This has some parts that work, and a cool video. But overall it still isn't good. Those women that come in with the OVER & OVER? Egads. They sound so out of place.

bobbie solo
03-23-2018, 11:25 PM
I'm going to post badass Jack White material to make up for the seeming abortion of an album that is rapidly approaching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqFb6VXW86Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXfpre4w540

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsGVrnWxMCY

Boots
03-23-2018, 11:30 PM
I own most of his music. I've just never been able to see him live. Maybe that will change soon.

BRoswell
03-24-2018, 12:44 AM
To be honest, most of what's being said about the new album is way overblown in my opinion. It's a departure, but not a MASSIVE departure. I was actually waiting it for it to get really weird, but that never happened. That might actually be what's disappointing about it in my eyes. It's not weird enough.

renton44
03-24-2018, 10:05 AM
My copy from the Vault arrived today, and this record works waaaaaay better as a whole imo. I basically love it.

Scarlet Siren
03-24-2018, 06:38 PM
I like the album but I don't LOVE it. Not in the same way I instantly loved Blunderbuss. I commend Jack for experimenting and doing whatever the hell he likes. Good for him.

Saying that I can't wait to see him live again. Unfortunately, I can't make the London show on 28/03, but I've got tickets for the three Eventim, London shows and both Paris shows. Jack is one of my favourite live performers, I've already seen him a sickening amount of times between TWS, TDW and solo... I can't wait for the summer and to see his new live band line up.

versusreality
03-24-2018, 07:39 PM
haven't given the album a full listen yet but I've been digging the songs that have been released over the last few months. Over & Over & Over is stuck in my head and I do enjoy the video. I'm getting an early experimental Funkadelic feel from some of what I've heard.

Have yet to see him live, and bummed out realizing he was local just last night, crap!

here's a full webcast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF5jAZxRNzg

ad infinitum
03-24-2018, 09:20 PM
I'm sorry, I love Jack White & all his varied side projects as much as the next person but... this is the worst effort I've heard from him. I applaud his experimentalism & willingness to take chances, & there are a few quality riffs scattered about, however overall it just flat out doesn't work very well. Artists need to evolve & change & enter new territory, I get that. I've tried on several open-minded listens to hear/appreciate what or where he's going on this thing, but the lightbulb has yet to come on. Honestly, ETS is the first place I've seen any positive feedback on it, even my most stalwart JW cheerleaders are holding their noses.

Bottom line, I think this album is not going to be very popular with his fans. And *not* because they're disappointed over not hearing typical Jack White musical stylings. Just simply because it's not very good.

BRoswell
03-24-2018, 11:51 PM
Bottom line, I think this album is not going to be very popular with his fans.

I think so too, but I think more people will warm up to it later on.

versusreality
03-25-2018, 06:19 AM
I do think this album will be an interesting and important one in his discography. It may be an indication of what's to come- will he get wackier and more experimental? Or, based on the feedback (if he cares about that, which I don't think he does) and the difficulty it took to make this album- will this album prove the opposite to happen - his next record/project is super straight forward.

BrokenSpiral
03-25-2018, 06:25 AM
I think the album is pretty awful, honestly. Over and Over is decent.

theSplinter04
03-25-2018, 10:23 AM
I'm enjoying this "less focused" approach, especially on tracks like Respect Commander, Hypermisophoniac & Get in the Mind Shaft, but there's also way too much filler in there. Without the spoken bits the album could easily be reduced to an EP. I'm not against interludes in general, I just don't really care about the ones on this album.

versusreality
03-25-2018, 07:06 PM
gave it a full on listen today. was surprised by the amount of spoken word tracks. in that sense, I got a bit of a later day Tom Waits vibe. spoken word over some bizarre music.

Kodiak33
03-26-2018, 07:14 AM
I've never been a fan of Jack White studio stuff (even the White Stripes) but, holy shit, seeing him live is incredible. He and his band are so fucking good.

october_midnight
03-27-2018, 03:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M_c1Svz_PI

The Doctor
03-29-2018, 02:00 PM
I've been a massive fan of Jack White ever since I heard "Fell in Love with a Girl" back in 2001 and bought White Blood Cells on the strength of that 1 song (that sounded like Buzzcocks to me). I've loved everything he's done in all his bands, and solo. Until now.

I'm at a loss with this one. It just feels like a mess, and some of it is so abstract purposefully and some of the "funk" type stuff sounds so cheesy. It was no surprise when I discovered my favorite song on the album, "Over and Over and Over," started as a White Stripes song (supposed to be on Icky Thump) and he's tried it with every band. I think it would have been a great song with any of those bands, and probably would've sounded better without the weird female vocals. Can't help but think that if it was Alison Mosshart instead, it would be totally badass.

And if you visit the r/jackwhite subreddit, wow. What a massive circlejerk about how it is Jack's 'Kid A.' I did a spit take on that one. As someone whose favorite band is Radiohead that is not an apt comparison. Radiohead weren't weird/abstract for the sake of it, they blew it all up sound wise, but at the core, almost every piece on the album was a solid song no matter what the instrumentation. For Jack, these are weird sketches and noodling around without much of the song craft I expect from him. I'm completely disappointed. I'm sure it will grow on me to some extent with time, but it will always be the weakest in discography up to this point.

For anyone interested, I chopped it up into an EP and it's a much more pleasant listen: https://open.spotify.com/user/inertiaticwrist/playlist/78vm57as9q5ilrbVHBcDEC?si=Zt8NGCHkQXyYtegJBw7N4A

BRoswell
04-04-2018, 08:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfr59ngohec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSHSoHlAPxw

mfte
04-04-2018, 08:55 PM
I don't think I want to hear that.

ah
it aint so bad

no worse than Down In It

thevoid99
04-04-2018, 08:56 PM
ah
it aint so bad

no worse than Down In It

Hey, that song rules!

GulDukat
04-07-2018, 01:20 PM
Not feeling this one. I give him credit for trying something different.

BRoswell
04-25-2018, 11:25 AM
https://open.spotify.com/track/1rCBSWN2vjJ8C7qnxnmw3m

NotoriousTIMP
10-09-2018, 05:04 PM
latest VAULT package looks AMAZING....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/0639850D-7F57-45F0-9FE7-5A45A1ADA16A_zpsbceliilj.png (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/cingularrox/media/0639850D-7F57-45F0-9FE7-5A45A1ADA16A_zpsbceliilj.png.html)

october_midnight
04-02-2019, 10:23 AM
The Raconteurs' third album "Help Us Stranger" drops June 21. (https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/04/the-raconteurs-help-us-stranger/)

bobbie solo
04-02-2019, 01:49 PM
Two songs released already sound great. By far my favorite Jack White project, with Dead Weather in second place.

october_midnight
04-08-2019, 09:53 AM
The Raconteurs 2019 Tour Dates:

04/16 – Auckland, NZ @ Powerstation
04/18 – Melbourne, AU @ Regent Theatre
04/20 – Milsons Point, AU @ Big Top Sydney
04/22 – Byron Bay, AU @ Bluesfest Byron Bay
04/24 – Minato City, JP @ Akasaka Blitz
04/25 – Minato City, JP @ Akasaka Blitz
05/25 – London, UK @ All Points East (https://consequenceofsound.net/festival/all-points-east-festival-2019/)
05/26 – Paris, FR @ L’Olympia
05/27 – Brussels, BE @ Cirque Royal
05/28 – Cologne, DE @ E-Werk
05/30 – Berlin, DE @ Verti Music Hall
05/31 – Kværndrup, DK @ Heartland Festival
06/01 – Warsaw, PL @ Orange Warsaw Festival (https://consequenceofsound.net/festival/orange-warsaw-festival-2019/)
06/02 – Hilvarenbeek, NL @ Best Kept Secret Festival (https://consequenceofsound.net/festival/best-kept-secret-festival-2019/)
07/12 – Detroit, MI @ Masonic Temple Theatre
07/14 – Milwaukee, WI @ Eagles Ballroom
07/15 – Minneapolis, MN @ Armory
07/18 – Seattle, WA @ WaMu Theater at CenturyLink Field Events Center
07/19 – Vancouver, BC @ Queen Elizabeth Theatre
07/21 – Troutdale, OR @ Edgefield
07/23 – Oakland, CA @ Fox Theater
07/26 – Los Angeles, CA @ Greek Theatre
07/27 – Santa Barbara, CA @ Santa Barbara Bowl
07/28 – San Diego, CA @ Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theatre
08/10 – Lexington, KY @ Railbird Festival (https://consequenceofsound.net/festival/railbird-festival-2019/)
08/11 – Knoxville, TN @ Knoxville Civic Auditorium
08/12 – Indianapolis, IN @ Egyptian Room at Old National Centre
08/13 – Pittsburgh, PA @ Stage AE
08/15 – Cleveland, OH @ Agora Theatre
08/16 – Watkins Glen, NY @ Woodstock 50 (https://consequenceofsound.net/festival/woodstock-2019/)
08/17 – Washington, DC @ The Anthem
08/18 – Charlotte, NC @ The Fillmore
08/20 – Columbia, SC @ Township Auditorium
08/21 – Atlanta, GA @ Tabernacle
08/22 – Atlanta, GA @ Tabernacle
08/29 – Nashville, TN @ Ryman Auditorium
08/30 – Nashville, TN @ Ryman Auditorium
09/03 – Raleigh, NC @ Red Hat Amphitheater
09/06 – New York, NY @ Hammerstein Ballroom
09/07 – Brooklyn, NY @ Kings Theatre
09/09 – Boston, MA @ House of Blues
09/12 – Toronto, ON @ Sony Centre
09/13 – Columbus, OH @ Express Live!
10/12 – Oklahoma City, OK @ The Criterion
10/13 – Tulsa, OK @ Cain’s Ballroom
10/14 – Tulsa, OK @ Cain’s Ballroom
10/17 – Kansas City, MO @ Arvest Bank Theatre
10/18 – St. Louis, MO @ The Pageant

cdm
04-08-2019, 01:03 PM
Very excited for this tour. I was afraid they'd go the easy route and book the festival circuit.

bobbie solo
04-08-2019, 01:52 PM
No cell phones again on this tour.