PDA

View Full Version : Bloodborne

Jinsai
03-23-2015, 09:52 PM
I've worked through the first four bosses, and so far I think this might be my favorite Souls game. The combat especially is a massive improvement.
Comes out tonight in the US. Get it. First ps4 game that justifies the cost of the system.

Non-Spoiler Primer and tips for people wondering what's different:

- backstabbing has been drastically changed. Now, you can't just run up behind someone and backstab. You have to actually sneak up, charge your attack, stun them, and then backstab.

- So far I haven't been invaded... Not sure if invasions are still a thing?

- equip weight is no longer a thing... and I actually like this. All the other DS games required light equip for higher level play, and it just makes sense to cap it there and to stop pretending that dumb weighty builds are worthwhile.

- Combat is much faster, and you need to use gun-parrying to get by. In every way everything has been improved.

- There are a lot less items and equipment, but they're all much more developed and unique.

- You'll see lanterns hanging by some doorways in the town districts... these are people you can possibly recruit and sources for smaller missions.

- There isn't an Estus flask in the same sense as there was... you need to get used to spending the rest of your blood echoes on reserve healing potions and bullets.

- Every time you beat a boss, check the upstairs area in the hub... there's a bubbling cauldron up there that will sell you the boss' armor for your Insight. Insight is otherwise used to call in help from other players, but there's some good stuff in there that will only show up right after a boss fight, and after you check the cauldron it will disappear.

Spoiler tips for stuff you could miss (that I've already missed)

While you're walking around chatting with the doors, one will have a girl asking about her parents. She gives you a music box. You can use the music box on the second boss (his name is something like Mr Garsciolane or something) and he will shift into his werewolf form (which is a lot easier imo). Also, on the roof is the brooch the kid is asking about... when you go back, do not give her the brooch, refuse it, or she'll just keep crying and won't go into the sanctuary with you. Also, the brooch has another use.

After you beat the second boss, be careful about returning to that area. When you do, there will be another hunter there who will attack you, and a third hunter who will assist you. If you just run through there (like I did) she will die, and you're kinda fucked.

Also, after the second boss, there's an area around the chapel where a new mob spawns carrying a burlap sack... let him kill you, and he'll take you to a new area called the Unseen Village. You want to go here as soon as possible, because the enemies are easy (once you learn their patterns) and they drop higher upgrade shards, which will make the sophomore challenges in the game a lot easier.

Tums206_BFY
03-24-2015, 01:03 AM
I'm really intrigued by this game looks really good and it's getting excellent reviews but I have never played Dark Souls or Demon Souls. My brother has both Dark Souls for PS3 so I might borrow them from him and play those before I get into this. Looks so good though!

liquidcalm
03-24-2015, 04:19 AM
Ugh... the wait for this is.. difficult. Not out here until Friday. All the pre/re-views that spilled out last night are making for exciting reading.

Kodiak33
03-24-2015, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the impressions, I'm awaiting my shipment...although I need to finish Inquisition first.

Space Suicide
03-24-2015, 05:43 PM
Had Dark Souls and didn't care all too much for it, way too time consuming with the trial and error stuff. It wasn't necessarily the "difficulty" that scared me away from it either. The game was and is as hard as you make it aka you play like an impatient dumbass who is offensive heavy, you're going to die.

I'm not really into that type of shit. HOWEVER, whenever and if I get a PS4, this is a definite buy from me. I like how it looks and how it plays from video gameplay. Not to mention it looks to be a bit more deep gameplay wise as well as with lore. The game looks a lot more accessible as well.

Aladdinsanity
03-24-2015, 07:28 PM
Do I need to play the other Souls games to get into Bloodborne story-wise? I'm getting a gaming PC soon and considered getting into Dark Souls I & II. If I can, I'd like to just jump straight into Bloodborne since my PS4 has dick in terms of console exclusives.

Wretchedest
03-24-2015, 07:52 PM
Bout to hop onto this, thanks Jinsai for the tips.

Space Suicide
03-24-2015, 08:18 PM
Yeah it's a souls successor but I'm so sick of people doing nothing but comparing and placing this with the Souls games. Fuck off with that analogy and comparison.

Kodiak33
03-25-2015, 07:26 AM
Do I need to play the other Souls games to get into Bloodborne story-wise? I'm getting a gaming PC soon and considered getting into Dark Souls I & II. If I can, I'd like to just jump straight into Bloodborne since my PS4 has dick in terms of console exclusives.

Nope, totally different story/setting.

Jinsai
03-25-2015, 11:07 AM

It's a similar type of game, but there's no story or world overlap. The setting and atmosphere in this one is completely different too... Bloodborne is rooted in what seems like a sort of HP Lovecraft gothic scenario, with the primary enemy being some sort of lycanthrope. The Dark/Demons games seemed to be taking inspiration from a more general concept of dark fantasy.

If you're feeling low on reasons for owning a PS4, I'd buy this game ASAP.

Question for anyone that's been invaded yet... I've been playing most of the game offline so far. The first time I rang a bell to activate online to look for co-op partners, I got a message that seemed to imply I was being invaded, yet it didn't seem to actually happen. In this one, can you only be invaded if you're looking for help? If so, that's actually kind of cool.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-25-2015, 11:22 AM
I never cared for the previous souls games myself. Beating the bosses you have been trying to for a long time feels very rewarding, but it was just too dam slow for my liking. I bought this last night, but I am currently still in the middle of The Last of Us and Infamous: Second Son at the moment.

Kodiak33
03-25-2015, 11:47 AM
Question for anyone that's been invaded yet... I've been playing most of the game offline so far. The first time I rang a bell to activate online to look for co-op partners, I got a message that seemed to imply I was being invaded, yet it didn't seem to actually happen. In this one, can you only be invaded if you're looking for help? If so, that's actually kind of cool.

http://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/304ona/how_are_the_invasions/

From what this says, I think that's right Jinsai. You can also ring the Sinister Bell if you want to be invaded too.

Wretchedest
03-25-2015, 03:41 PM
How fo you get to where you can level up? This game is so hard, i still havent gotten to the second bonfire....

Thiah
03-25-2015, 03:50 PM
I somehow made it to the second boss without seeing the first one. I must have killed over 75 enemies before he killed me. :( I gave up trying to kill that axe reaper guy near the beginning after about 15 attempts. I'm guessing checkpoints in this game are really, really spread out. There's also nothing more satisfying than seeing your character drenched in enemy blood. Let's you know you're a badass

october_midnight
03-25-2015, 04:08 PM
Watched my friend play this last night at his place for a while over some beers. Holy shit did he die a lot haha, love it. To hell with how much hand-holding modern games do...so much that when games like this drop, how 'hard' they are makes news. Used to be the norm!

Millionaire
03-25-2015, 07:29 PM
So far its great. The combat, I think, is faster and a lot better than the Souls games. The bosses are really impressive. I read somewhere that many Western developers think that boss fights are unnecessary, hence why you get a lot of those Calladoody-style "press x to shoot the end boss" things. Fuck that shit. Boss fights are awesome.

Jinsai
03-26-2015, 12:10 PM
How fo you get to where you can level up? This game is so hard, i still havent gotten to the second bonfire....

Once you fight the first boss you can then level-up via the doll in the main hub. You don't need to beat the first boss, just reach him and fight him.

And yeah, it is really hard in the beginning there. Practice the gun parry move. Basically, when the enemy is swinging at you, shoot him in the face. If you time it right, it will stun, and then you can run in and hit R1 to eviscerate them. Really helpful in the beginning when you're facing those larger troll guys.

Also, try sneaking up on enemies that are giving you a problem and backstab them. To do that, you have to charge R2, then, you can do the same thing as when you stun them with the gun: just run in and hit R1.

Another suggestion would be to buy some better armor from the birdbath. I think you can also fortify your weapon before you reach the first boss if you have enough blood shards. You do that via the bench in the workshop in the hub.

liquidcalm
03-26-2015, 07:24 PM
So far its great. The combat, I think, is faster and a lot better than the Souls games. The bosses are really impressive. I read somewhere that many Western developers think that boss fights are unnecessary, hence why you get a lot of those Calladoody-style "press x to shoot the end boss" things. Fuck that shit. Boss fights are awesome.
I think many devs see bosses now as a 'set piece' rather than a challenge. A good boss takes everything you know about the game and tests you on it. A great boss does that in context of the level you are in. But thats just me, I know games like God of War have some tough bosses, and sort of defines that whole 'boss as a set piece' design, and it has its place sure, but my favourite bosses have always been encounters like The Boss in MGS3, some of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls bosses were up there too, so fingers crossed for Bloodborne (can finally buy it tomorrow!)

Kodiak33
03-26-2015, 08:28 PM
Ugh, this game is already going to pull me in. No one does atmosphere like From does.

They really haven't changed much of their animations etc have they? A Souls game through and through :D

Wretchedest
03-27-2015, 12:59 AM
The only prpblem i have is that the parry window is really slim and ambiguous. Sometimes it works and sometimes you eat shit. There should have been a better cue.

I had some luck on the third boss when it fell through the map on my first attempt. I thought it was pulling a dig maneuver, but then i got the prey slaughtered haha and i was stoked. Also took the fourth boss on my first attempt. So its turning out to be maybe a bit easier than previous games but the atmosphere amd graphics are really second to none.

Kodiak33
03-27-2015, 07:49 AM
Are the "bloodstains" broken for everyone? Sometimes they work but most of the time they don't.

Jinsai
03-27-2015, 04:21 PM
Are the "bloodstains" broken for everyone? Sometimes they work but most of the time they don't.

Do you mean the stains that show you how other people died?

If you're talking about going to your bloodstain to collect your blood echoes, they changed that... most of the time, your souls will get picked up by a mob in the area, usually the one that killed you, and you need to defeat them to get them back. You can see which one has them because they have glowing white eyes.

Kodiak33
03-27-2015, 07:03 PM
Do you mean the stains that show you how other people died?

If you're talking about going to your bloodstain to collect your blood echoes, they changed that... most of the time, your souls will get picked up by a mob in the area, usually the one that killed you, and you need to defeat them to get them back. You can see which one has them because they have glowing white eyes.

I meant how the other people died. I also didn't know about them picking your echoes up...that's awesome.

Jinsai
03-27-2015, 07:43 PM
I meant how the other people died. I also didn't know about them picking your echoes up...that's awesome.

I think the only bloodstains that don't show how people died are when you click on your own bloodstain, but I could be wrong

liquidcalm
03-28-2015, 05:21 AM
Well... I've died. A lot.. Way more than Dark Souls. This 'attack the enemies' combat is different. Not saying its bad, it has the same 'respect EVERY enemy' that the DS series has, which means frustration can easily get the better of you. For a hard game, I never died all *that* much in Dark Souls because I took everything reallly slow (so slow I've not finished it, also lack of PS3 now..), this makes me confront that..

All this said. I like this game a lot. It has the Demon Souls Nexus feel, its pretty, its intense and I love the setting.

implanted_microchip
03-28-2015, 07:01 AM
I'm enjoying this more than Dark Souls. The setting and atmosphere has me totally engaged, the lore is interesting, I'm in love with this combat. Couldn't be happier.

Kodiak33
03-28-2015, 08:03 AM
I think the only bloodstains that don't show how people died are when you click on your own bloodstain, but I could be wrong

Im thinking of those gravestones that pop up, which replaced bloodstains from the previous Souls games.

Jinsai
03-28-2015, 09:55 PM
Im thinking of those gravestones that pop up, which replaced bloodstains from the previous Souls games. I haven't been clicking them much, but they seem to work for me when I do.

Just found something... might be considered a spoiler, so Not 100% sure how I got the item, but I think it was the female hunter that appears in the very first area of the game. You can access her after you kill the witch boss in the forest. If you kill her, you block the whole side quest where you can send people to her workshop for safe keeping, so you might not want to do it. But if you do, go to the witch's area from the warp portal, and then backtrack down the steps outside. Around where the armored executioner guys are with the axes there is a black monument that looks like a small tower. Approach it and a coach will ride in and take you to this snowy castle area... From what I've looked into online, I guess this is where you join the vampire cult... which would be happening for me now if I could beat the boss, who is insanely hard.

EDIT: Woo hoo, if you beat him, you'll wind up in front of an empty chair. You need to put on the crown of cainhurst and approach the chair to get anything out of this.

Also, speaking of the forest area... As you progress through it, you'll see this guy crouching on the ground around a bunch of dead bodies. He'll seem timid and ask if you know a safe place to send him. If you send him to one of your save spots, he will show up and kill everyone there... so don't do it. Instead attack him, and he'll turn into a mini boss that drops a high level transformation rune.

Side note about Insight... they don't explain this, but if you collect a lot of insight the world changes. New monsters show up, things get harder, stuff unlocks....

Wretchedest
03-29-2015, 02:33 AM
Ive powered through all of the main game and now im checking out all the optional stuff i missed. Theres some totally random obscure impossibke shit you have to do to unlock entire areas and bosses... Crazy

Space Suicide
03-30-2015, 08:41 PM
So, I just bought this.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Bloodborne-Bundle/dp/B00UZGQ3G4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1427764991&sr=8-3&keywords=ps4+bloodborne

God have mercy on my soul.

Space Suicide
04-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Welp, got the console set up and the game came as well. Time to die. A lot.

Wretchedest
04-02-2015, 02:20 PM
I beat this on Sunday, cleared every boss. I have to say this was so much easier than dark souls or ds2. I cleared almost egery boss in the first 3 attempts. There is a period of adjustment in the begining of the game that i found quite difficult, but ultimately most of the challenge lay in the usual Dark Souls grind of memorizing and perfecting a path, and figuring out where you should go. So you have a game that is actually a lot closer to your average game in terms of difficulty. But that is made up in top tier graphics, art design and gameplay.

Some stuff is buried super, super deep. Getting the true ending.... There is no way to figure that out on your own. No way. I passed the routes to two of those items upwards of at least 20 times each, and never noticed their entry ways.

Space Suicide
04-02-2015, 07:12 PM
I beat this on Sunday, cleared every boss. I have to say this was so much easier than dark souls or ds2. I cleared almost egery boss in the first 3 attempts. There is a period of adjustment in the begining of the game that i found quite difficult, but ultimately most of the challenge lay in the usual Dark Souls grind of memorizing and perfecting a path, and figuring out where you should go. So you have a game that is actually a lot closer to your average game in terms of difficulty. But that is made up in top tier graphics, art design and gameplay.

Some stuff is buried super, super deep. Getting the true ending.... There is no way to figure that out on your own. No way. I passed the routes to two of those items upwards of at least 20 times each, and never noticed their entry ways.

I've died a lot and by dumb bullshit (like enemies hitting me through walls) but it seems easier than Dark Souls and might be actually attainable to get far into the game or hell maybe even beat it with my lame skills. I went with the Blunderbuss and the Cleaver.

Jinsai
04-03-2015, 12:19 AM
I've died a lot and by dumb bullshit (like enemies hitting me through walls) but it seems easier than Dark Souls and might be actually attainable to get far into the game or hell maybe even beat it with my lame skills. I went with the Blunderbuss and the Cleaver.

Yeah, I've beaten the game, and while I think it's absolutely brilliant, I'd say the other Souls games were harder over all. Judging from the outraged user reviews over the difficulty though, I think they made a smart move there by not having it be as punishing. I've also talked a few friends into trying it out, and I had to help them out for a bit before they rage quit. The game is still very hard, just not insane. I like it actually, and I think the difficulty is fair this time, just the NG+ exp grants are obscene. I'm leveling up every time I do practically anything, and I almost feel like I'm cheating.

Apparently the real challenge is in the deeper random chalice dungeons, but so far for me they've been incredibly easy. I admit I'm not digging into them as much, due mainly to the fact that I hate the layout and the clueless build of the dungeons, but I haven't heard anyone say that level 4 or 5 depth is a breeze.

My biggest complaint is actually that it seems that I've already done almost everything. I actually disliked that Dark Souls II's world was SO goddamn huge that it felt generally overwhelming. In this, I feel that I've already explored everything there is to find. That's ok, since I've put in a good 50+ hours, but I wish there was more to discover.

It's probably a good mark that I just want the game to never end, but it feels like it has... and that wasn't a sense that came so quickly with the previous games. Hopefully there's a DLC expansion in the works.

I'd be surprised if a game comes out this year that I like better though, and that includes the possibility of Persona 5 coming out... which looks pretty amazing.

I beat this on Sunday, cleared every boss. I have to say this was so much easier than dark souls or ds2. I cleared almost egery boss in the first 3 attempts. There is a period of adjustment in the begining of the game that i found quite difficult, but ultimately most of the challenge lay in the usual Dark Souls grind of memorizing and perfecting a path, and figuring out where you should go.

You also have experience with the gameplay from playing the other games. They want to maintain the challenge while also reaching out to new players... it's probably a really hard line to walk.

Actually, since they delayed the release of the strategy guide, it would seem that people did figure that out on their own. I even came really really close to just stumbling on it by myself, just didn't know that I needed to consume the prior to the final battle, so I'm glad others figured that out in time.

Space Suicide
04-03-2015, 12:48 AM
Yeah, I've beaten the game, and while I think it's absolutely brilliant, I'd say the other Souls games were harder over all. Judging from the outraged user reviews over the difficulty though, I think they made a smart move there by not having it be as punishing. I've also talked a few friends into trying it out, and I had to help them out for a bit before they rage quit. The game is still very hard, just not insane. I like it actually, and I think the difficulty is fair this time, just the NG+ exp grants are obscene. I'm leveling up every time I do practically anything, and I almost feel like I'm cheating.

Apparently the real challenge is in the deeper random chalice dungeons, but so far for me they've been incredibly easy. I admit I'm not digging into them as much, due mainly to the fact that I hate the layout and the clueless build of the dungeons, but I haven't heard anyone say that level 4 or 5 depth is a breeze.

My biggest complaint is actually that it seems that I've already done almost everything. I actually disliked that Dark Souls II's world was SO goddamn huge that it felt generally overwhelming. In this, I feel that I've already explored everything there is to find. That's ok, since I've put in a good 50+ hours, but I wish there was more to discover.

It's probably a good mark that I just want the game to never end, but it feels like it has... and that wasn't a sense that came so quickly with the previous games. Hopefully there's a DLC expansion in the works.

I'd be surprised if a game comes out this year that I like better though, and that includes the possibility of Persona 5 coming out... which looks pretty amazing.

You also have experience with the gameplay from playing the other games. They want to maintain the challenge while also reaching out to new players... it's probably a really hard line to walk.

Actually, since they delayed the release of the strategy guide, it would seem that people did figure that out on their own. I even came really really close to just stumbling on it by myself, just didn't know that I needed to consume the prior to the final battle, so I'm glad others figured that out in time.

It took me close to three hours and tons of swearing and frustration but I finally killed that Cleric Beast fucker. It resorted to me being a dodgy little bitch who was molotov happy (landed 4 I think) and having spatial awareness. Minus beginner's learning and experience, I fully understand and know how this game works now. I just hope the future isn't as difficult for me. I think the game is great honestly and I get the appeal. As stated, I wasn't too big on Souls but this game...it's different. I'll get there....eventually.

Space Suicide
04-03-2015, 01:44 PM
Me and my friend did co-op and killed Father Gascoigne in one go. Fun fucking shit!

Wretchedest
04-04-2015, 07:09 PM
Holy shit. This is why the end game was so easy for me:http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/4/8345263/bloodborne-boss-glitch-video-easy

Logarius was totally dumb and easy for me. Every single boss after a certain point repeated the same two or three attacks non stop. I thought the design was just lazy but it looks like i basically encountered a massive glitch.

Jinsai
04-07-2015, 01:34 PM
I love this game so much... but really, WHY did they have to continue the tradition of making online matchmaking with friends a technical nightmare? I'm trying to help out my friends, so I quickly threw together a new character (made him look like a lanky version of Tim Burton's take on the Penguin), leveled him up to the same level as my friends, beat the bosses I needed to to get to where they were at, and then, once we'd done everything right, we tried to connect.

You'd figure that now, because there's password options to play with friends, that they'd make this work. Nope... we had to constantly restart our systems to get it to function, and even then, it often took a few minutes to get it to properly connect. And, with all this restarting over and over again, the host player is burning through insight to try to get this to work.

I know insight isn't really hard to come by in this game, but to new players it can seem really precious, and so this sort of unacceptable bullshit just sours the game for them. COME ON guys, time for a patch update. Fix this now, and next time, make playing with your friends fun, not unnecessarily obnoxious.

I also thought it was annoying how once we got one of us connected and we waited around trying to get our other friend into the game, we constantly got invaded. arrrrrrrgg....

Space Suicide
04-07-2015, 01:43 PM
I love this game so much... but really, WHY did they have to continue the tradition of making online matchmaking with friends a technical nightmare? I'm trying to help out my friends, so I quickly threw together a new character (made him look like a lanky version of Tim Burton's take on the Penguin), leveled him up to the same level as my friends, beat the bosses I needed to to get to where they were at, and then, once we'd done everything right, we tried to connect.

You'd figure that now, because there's password options to play with friends, that they'd make this work. Nope... we had to constantly restart our systems to get it to function, and even then, it often took a few minutes to get it to properly connect. And, with all this restarting over and over again, the host player is burning through insight to try to get this to work.

I know insight isn't really hard to come by in this game, but to new players it can seem really precious, and so this sort of unacceptable bullshit just sours the game for them. COME ON guys, time for a patch update. Fix this now, and next time, make playing with your friends fun, not unnecessarily obnoxious.

I also thought it was annoying how once we got one of us connected and we waited around trying to get our other friend into the game, we constantly got invaded. arrrrrrrgg....

OH How I hated when I tried to matchmake and the game didn't connect me to anyone so I ceased looking. I wasted Insight on that shit. Me and my friend (who helped me beat Father Gascoigne) managed to get together twice the same time we were on in the same session. Took a few minutes but to back you up, the matchmaking aspects/co-op in this game is absolutely ass.

Speaking of ass...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CB4R86eUIAAxkHw.jpg

LOL!

Thiah
04-08-2015, 03:11 AM
So I just got to byrgenwerth...like...WHAT THE FUCK! FUCK YOU GAME

Jinsai
04-08-2015, 03:32 AM
So I just got to byrgenwerth...like...WHAT THE FUCK! FUCK YOU GAME

Are you having problems with Rom the Spider or the hunter? If you're having trouble with the hunter, her most devastating attack is the spell. She'll raise her hands over her head and some blue lights will form. Once you see the dots of that spell form, dodge forward towards her. You will completely dodge the spell and catch her while she is recovering. You should be able to get a good set of hits in.

If you're having trouble with the spider... for the first round, kill all the little spiders he spawns, then attack him until he teleports. From this point on, don't worry about the little spiders, don't lock-on your attack, and just rush through and swing with a heavy weapon and then run away. Hit him anywhere but the armored head. Keep your eye on him... when he lifts his upper body up, he's about to launch those ice crystals at you... so get ready to dodge left (or right) as soon as his body lands. Keep dodging until you're clear, and then run in and slash (don't lock on). Be careful because when you get close he has other attacks... but as long as you're running in from a distance, he won't prime those, and as long as you get away after hitting him he won't hit you with them. If he launches one and you're safe while he's doing it, rinse/repeat and run in and ruin him.

ALSO, for anyone that might be having problems connecting with friends... I've been troubleshooting this constantly with my friends and I think I've found some solutions. If the game isn't connecting you, the quickest solution is to have the ASSISTING player restart the PS4 and then run in to the same area and ring the bell. If this still doesn't work, have the support players run in and out of the area.

If this doesn't work, sorry, the host player has lost a point of insight... Host needs to restart the system and try again.

Really... sony... please.... patch this shit. But in the meantime, this works.

Thiah
04-08-2015, 04:07 AM
Yeah, it's that hunter in the building. I will prevail! Thanks for the advice. I haven't gotten to the spider yet

EDIT: beat her. we fought going around the staircase. She couldn't hit me much that way

DF118
04-12-2015, 11:12 PM
Does anyone else play From Software games while feeling forced to read a wiki like it's a fucking travel guide?

"Go to the first floor of Iosefka's clinic, to get the summons to go to the castle. Then go to this random place to get carriage that you would otherwise miss if you weren't reading this."

The amount of bullshit external knowledge you need is on par with something like Nethack.

Edit:

"Also! Don't kill Iosefka yet, make sure you randomly come back here in 6 hours otherwise you can't get the umbilical cord".

For fuck sake.

Thiah
04-13-2015, 09:14 PM
Yeah I totally killed her and missed out on the cord. I read about that after it was done.

Jinsai
04-13-2015, 09:56 PM
Does anyone else play From Software games while feeling forced to read a wiki like it's a fucking travel guide?

"Go to the first floor of Iosefka's clinic, to get the summons to go to the castle. Then go to this random place to get carriage that you would otherwise miss if you weren't reading this."

The amount of bullshit external knowledge you need is on par with something like Nethack.

Edit:

"Also! Don't kill Iosefka yet, make sure you randomly come back here in 6 hours otherwise you can't get the umbilical cord".

For fuck sake.

Yeah, but all that stuff is optional. Also, if you miss Iosefka's coil, you can still get your third from the prostitute if you sent her to the chapel.

implanted_microchip
04-13-2015, 10:18 PM

As soon as you find the summons that are very close to the room you find Iosefka in it outright mentions going to Hemwick Lane and as soon as you approach the general area it triggers a cutscene. I know what you're saying but personally I'd consider that a bad example, I've been playing with zero guides and still found that.

Millionaire
04-21-2015, 10:22 AM
I beat it! I feel like a deserve a free car or a vacation or something.

Space Suicide
04-25-2015, 03:46 PM
Fuck this Turret Hunter asshole on the roof in Old Yharnam. I'm going to push him off sometime.

Jinsai
04-25-2015, 04:37 PM
Fuck this Turret Hunter asshole on the roof in Old Yharnam. I'm going to push him off sometime.

Yeah, he can be a pain.

So you know... there's another option. If you beat the boss Paarl (sp?) downstairs in the unseen village (you can be transported there by being killed by the wraith looking guys around the cathedral carrying the burlap sacks) you get a backdoor to the lower area past him... so you can just run up from there and knock him off the building.

Another strategy is to just not fight the enemies... just keep running till you get to the area where you can go up the ladder and hit him. I did it with the hammer... just rush him and hit him hard and he'll fall off.

Apparently there's a way to become friends with him too... but fuck that.

Also, I finally got the platinum in this game. I think it's fair to say that it's my favorite 'souls' game ever... especially now since I just rebooted Dark Souls 2 and I'm kind of hating it for a lot of reasons, but mostly because it's just such a step down in almost every way from Bloodborne.

Space Suicide
04-25-2015, 10:35 PM
Yeah, he can be a pain.

So you know... there's another option. If you beat the boss Paarl (sp?) downstairs in the unseen village (you can be transported there by being killed by the wraith looking guys around the cathedral carrying the burlap sacks) you get a backdoor to the lower area past him... so you can just run up from there and knock him off the building.

Another strategy is to just not fight the enemies... just keep running till you get to the area where you can go up the ladder and hit him. I did it with the hammer... just rush him and hit him hard and he'll fall off.

Apparently there's a way to become friends with him too... but fuck that.

Also, I finally got the platinum in this game. I think it's fair to say that it's my favorite 'souls' game ever... especially now since I just rebooted Dark Souls 2 and I'm kind of hating it for a lot of reasons, but mostly because it's just such a step down in almost every way from Bloodborne.

Someone beat me to knocking the Turret dickhead off the roof but myself and a party member ended up defeating the Blood-Starved Beast on a second go (had him down to 1/3rd but I died due to instal-kill pounce move) so yeah. Getting further along.

Space Suicide
04-26-2015, 12:04 PM
Found Vicar Amelia and got my ass torn up due to lack of blood vials and of course, damage. I'm farming...level 31 now. I'm at the Unseen Village lantern farm area where you can kill the tall pricks with bags. They give 1300 blood echoes apiece and also give out Blood Stone Shards and Twin Blood Stone Shards with each death. Run down the stairwell below the lantern spawn They can't go due to height. Boom. profit. Easy farming for big gains. I'll probably waste all day here. I want to make Vicar Amelia my bitch.

Level 38. I have killed Vicar Amelia and the Witch of Hemwick. Feels good, man.

liquidcalm
04-27-2015, 05:28 AM
After a few weeks off I just got back into Bloodborne.. It was nice besting the Blood Starved Beast on the first go back after my previous attempts being very quick insta-deaths. Then I got bagged. Then I went to bed. I love this game.. Its very much more stripped back options wise that Demons and Dark Souls, but I like that it is not at the expense of lore and the world.. year I can do what I did in Demons which was shot arrows at a long distance from everything, but hey, I get to hit stuff with a massive hammer...

Space Suicide
04-27-2015, 05:13 PM
Killed The Shadow of Yharnam with my friend. Me and him are more or less co-oping it. Best fun we've had in a LONG time. Next stop Byrgenwerth.

Boss checklist:

Cleric Beast
Father Gascoigne
Blood-Starved Beast
Vicar Amelia
Witch of Hemwick
Shadow of Yharnam
Rom, The Vacuous Spider

Level 50 now. We killed Rom and I died by a spiderling after he died. I didn't get my Blood Echoes. BS.

Update: Level 53. Killed The One Reborn. Nice stuff. Onwards!

Space Suicide
04-29-2015, 06:30 PM
I'm 56 and now On Micolash, Host of the Nightmare. I caught onto his patterns and got him halfway before I decided to bail and keep the blood echoes. I had no Blood Vials to make the effort/risk worth it.

Then I'm off to face the Celestial Emissary. Can probably do Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos. If I get the nerves to do Amygdala I'll do that. I'll try that solo as my friend says I could do it.

I have a question, I know everything is cosmetic only but I really do want a new Hunter get up. I'm literally wearing the Yharnam Hunter Garb stuff ever since I initially bought it from the store, which I did before Cleric Beast. I want to look cooler and have better shit going for me but nothing appeals and seems to be a small step down stats wise in some areas when I decide to go elsewhere. Opinions? @Wretchedest (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=107) @Jinsai (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=272)

Wretchedest
04-29-2015, 08:34 PM
I literally wore that first set of armor through the entire game, it has the highest protection against physical damage, which accounts for almost all of the damage from bosses in the game that is difficult to dodge. It's lame, but thats how it is.

I had an outfit for decking out my character, but i always make my souls character look like my wife, because i think it's funny, so... What looked good on my character might not on yours, if i recall correctly the outfit didnt have much in the way of practical use. I think it was the crown from martyr Longinus, surgical gloves, some kind of dress.... Idk.

Like i said, as far as running into battle goes, i jever changed my gear throughout the course of the entire game.

Space Suicide
04-30-2015, 06:41 PM
I literally wore that first set of armor through the entire game, it has the highest protection against physical damage, which accounts for almost all of the damage from bosses in the game that is difficult to dodge. It's lame, but thats how it is.

I had an outfit for decking out my character, but i always make my souls character look like my wife, because i think it's funny, so... What looked good on my character might not on yours, if i recall correctly the outfit didnt have much in the way of practical use. I think it was the crown from martyr Longinus, surgical gloves, some kind of dress.... Idk.

Like i said, as far as running into battle goes, i jever changed my gear throughout the course of the entire game.

I've mix matched some bullshit. I'm moderately happy for the most part.

Can't find co-op help for Ebrietas since no one is ever in area and anytime I have, they're a fucking moron who sucks ass. This game is getting to me today. Guess it's the way to counterattack how easy it was to defeat Celestial Emissary.

Wretchedest
04-30-2015, 08:15 PM
I wish i had that problem i dumbed dow. All the bosses by accident apparently ebriatus went down first try.

Space Suicide
04-30-2015, 08:33 PM
I wish i had that problem i dumbed dow. All the bosses by accident apparently ebriatus went down first try.

I did Darkbeast Paarl solo just now, first try. I'm proud of myself. :p

Next stop is Cainhurst and Gehrman then I am done with my first play through.

Beat Martyr Logarius and finally Gehrman, onto NG+!

Sucks to lose all my lanterns though.

I hope this game gets new DLC.

Space Suicide
05-01-2015, 01:06 PM
Damn this game ramps up the difficulty. It felt like I just started the game again, literally. Made it through Central Yharnam relatively quickly, 10 minutes tops after dying once. I made it to and defeated the Cleric Beast. Onward, ho!

Burial Blade is a pretty good weapon but it eats up stamina like crazy and well, it's weak now compared to my 8+ Saw Cleaver.

Wretchedest
05-01-2015, 03:14 PM
That moment where you have the souls from gehrmen and the moon beast and you basically have to beat the cleric beast on the first attemot to use them... Thats pretty hardcore.

Kodiak33
05-02-2015, 08:25 AM
Beat it, now I've finished every Souls game...so good. The only big thing that bothers me about these games are the terrible endings. You have these great worlds with vague stories, then a 20 sec ending almost every time. It's ridiculous.

Space Suicide
05-02-2015, 10:23 PM
I went and bought Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin for my PS4 today. Looking for more fun. Right?

Jinsai
05-02-2015, 10:37 PM
Beat it, now I've finished every Souls game...so good. The only big thing that bothers me about these games are the terrible endings. You have these great worlds with vague stories, then a 20 sec ending almost every time. It's ridiculous.

One of the choices at the end actually does have a pretty lengthy ending that's really nifty.

I went and bought Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin for my PS4 today. Looking for more fun. Right?

Yeah... as soon as they fix the issues I'll dive back in. As it stands now, rolling/dodging is broken due to the frame rate increase, and weapons degrade at least twice as fast as they should. I've heard there's problems with hit detection too... so I think I'll just wait for the patch. The game's hard and frustrating enough without that

Space Suicide
05-02-2015, 10:38 PM
One of the choices at the end actually does have a pretty lengthy ending that's really nifty.

Yeah... as soon as they fix the issues I'll dive back in. As it stands now, rolling/dodging is broken due to the frame rate increase, and weapons degrade at least twice as fast as they should. I've heard there's problems with hit detection too... so I think I'll just wait for the patch. The game's hard and frustrating enough without that

Is it? I think they fixed the weapon durability glitch.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-dark-souls-ii-patch-finally-fixes-year-old-dur/1100-6426819/

Kodiak33
05-03-2015, 11:22 AM

Jinsai, do you mean the "third" ending? I actually saved my game to a USB stick to see all of them.

Jinsai
05-03-2015, 02:47 PM
Jinsai, do you mean the "third" ending? I actually saved my game to a USB stick to see all of them.

The one where you "submit" and don't fight the final boss... I liked that one...
Also, maybe I'm interpreting it wrong, but my guess was that the "good" ending, if you fight the real final boss etc, is a reference tying to the final boss of Demons Souls?

and yeah Space Suicide, that's the patch, but it's still incoming with no official date set yet.

Space Suicide
05-28-2015, 05:04 PM
Bloodborne expansion confirmed!

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/bloodborne-expansion-confirmed/1100-6427497/

Cannot wait. Love this game!

Jinsai
05-28-2015, 07:30 PM
Bloodborne expansion confirmed!

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/bloodborne-expansion-confirmed/1100-6427497/

Cannot wait. Love this game!

excited too...

Bloodborne is the best game I've played in years.

Jinsai
11-24-2015, 02:34 AM
DLC is live... currently getting my NG+++ character back to the endgame
Also, remembering why this might be the best game ever made.

Space Suicide
04-28-2016, 05:13 PM
Well, after putting it off of no reason and beating DSIII extremely quick (doing PvP and random exploring before NG+) I have decided to revisit Bloodborne and buy The Old Hunters DLC. Can't wait to start it in a bit!

Kodiak33
04-28-2016, 06:35 PM
Old Hunters is absolutely amazing, hope you like it!

Space Suicide
04-29-2016, 12:47 AM
After playing and failing I've easily become frustrated with this DLC already, which i expected but not this early on. I'm playing NG+ so besides being semi-rusty this added difficulty modifier is making this even more difficult than it could and should be to me. My weapons are so fucking weak I can't even damage Ludwig in the first boss fight. I'm not even using a shitty leveled weapon. I'm using a +8 Saw Cleaver. It does next to no damage. Guess I'll be power leveling with bosses in co-op just to level myself up to kill this fucker.

Kodiak33
04-29-2016, 07:18 AM
NG+ would be really hard, shit regular mode was really difficult. I thought it was the hardest part of any of the Souls series so far. I've beaten all of them except for DS3.

liquidcalm
05-01-2016, 06:48 PM
what is a good point to hop into the dlc, I'm still like mid way in the game, just reached the Shadow of Yarnham boss, been taken to some of the nightmares and am about level 55 (i do suck at bosses tho..)
Also snake head things? my newest fear.

Space Suicide
05-02-2016, 02:03 PM
After finding help on reddit I killed Ludwig the Jerk. Jesus Christ was that difficult.

Jinsai
05-02-2016, 02:08 PM
After finding help on reddit I killed Ludwig the Jerk. Jesus Christ was that difficult.
that was for me the hardest fight in the whole game. I went into it on NG+++, but that was really rough.
@liquidcalm (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=305) ummmm, you might as well unlock the DLC because you're at the point where you can, and maybe you'll want to run in there and grab some of the cool things you can loot... but just don't frustrate yourself unnecessarily if it's too much. The DLC is easily the hardest "area" of the game.

It depends on your build and how you play, but 55 might be a little low.

implanted_microchip
05-02-2016, 02:48 PM
I don't play a lot of games and finish even less but Bloodborne is seriously a top-contender for my all-time favorite, and that says a lot. I've been obsessed with KOTOR since I was a kid and in love with classic Fallout for ages but, good god, BB is just ... it's everything I ever wanted in a game but never expected to get. It's a Lovecraftian nightmare shrouded in a Victorian Gothic wrapping paper with some of the greatest lore and visual world-building, fast-paced and challenging combat that's often more fair than it isn't, some of the most breathtaking and horrifying (and often at times a mixture of the two) art I've ever seen in a game world. It's just near-perfect for me.

I've still avoided the DLC because I don't like the idea of never having anything else new to do in this world. I extremely doubt we'll ever get a BB2, but just, fucking hell. I'm still really obsessed with it. No game's gotten under my skin like it did thematically. It's an incredible story of the birthing process and maternal grief, an incredible presentation of cosmic dread and a really kickass action game to boot.

It's the only game that's genuinely made me feel deep dread and terror despite being a powerful bad ass. Most horror games fail miserably when they let you run around killing everything -- I never got Dead Space and couldn't find it remotely scary because I could beat the whole game relatively easily with just the starting gun, let alone all the other high-level shit they toss into your hands. But Bloodborne really, really freaked me out deeply and in a psychological way from just ... everything about it. The implications of the lore. The world around you. The level design. The absence of humanity. The regular sense that you're stepping foot in a place where there used to be life, just a moment ago, but now it's completely desolate and all that's left are the monsters that made it that way. It's the only reason I don't regret buying a PS4 in general (I just hardly play anything and it's often the Netflix Machine in my living room). I can't gush enough about it. It feels tailor-made for me and my interests.

Space Suicide
05-02-2016, 03:33 PM
that was for me the hardest fight in the whole game. I went into it on NG+++, but that was really rough.
@liquidcalm (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=305) ummmm, you might as well unlock the DLC because you're at the point where you can, and maybe you'll want to run in there and grab some of the cool things you can loot... but just don't frustrate yourself unnecessarily if it's too much. The DLC is easily the hardest "area" of the game.

It depends on your build and how you play, but 55 might be a little low.

As I've heard, seen and read EVERYWHERE. You're not alone and I definitely say he was hard as shit. He tests EVERYTHING. Luckily the guy that helped me had a strong arcane build. He helped a lot with additional damage. His 2nd phase is far cooler and easier to fight (and wow the music!). It played a lot like a Dark Souls tank type boss. That 1st phase where he's a rampaging, unpredictable dickhead had me gripping my controller and my desk in huge muscle flexes of angst. I'm glad it's over and I dig his sword. I'll try leveling it through my continuing play through.

After seeing and reading up I'm really dreading the Orphan of Kos fight as well.... Maria of the Astral Clocktower seems like it'll be a cool fight. Can't wait to try that one.

As for the Hunter's Nightmare in general, what makes it difficult is all the hunter enemies. They're so quick and those weapons they use are brutal. I think they overamped the difficulty for the DLC though. Admitted I'm only in NG+ in the Forbidden Woods (haven't played the game since last summer) but the DLC feels like NG++ to my character.

I don't play a lot of games and finish even less but Bloodborne is seriously a top-contender for my all-time favorite, and that says a lot. I've been obsessed with KOTOR since I was a kid and in love with classic Fallout for ages but, good god, BB is just ... it's everything I ever wanted in a game but never expected to get. It's a Lovecraftian nightmare shrouded in a Victorian Gothic wrapping paper with some of the greatest lore and visual world-building, fast-paced and challenging combat that's often more fair than it isn't, some of the most breathtaking and horrifying (and often at times a mixture of the two) art I've ever seen in a game world. It's just near-perfect for me.

I've still avoided the DLC because I don't like the idea of never having anything else new to do in this world. I extremely doubt we'll ever get a BB2, but just, fucking hell. I'm still really obsessed with it. No game's gotten under my skin like it did thematically. It's an incredible story of the birthing process and maternal grief, an incredible presentation of cosmic dread and a really kickass action game to boot.

It's the only game that's genuinely made me feel deep dread and terror despite being a powerful bad ass. Most horror games fail miserably when they let you run around killing everything -- I never got Dead Space and couldn't find it remotely scary because I could beat the whole game relatively easily with just the starting gun, let alone all the other high-level shit they toss into your hands. But Bloodborne really, really freaked me out deeply and in a psychological way from just ... everything about it. The implications of the lore. The world around you. The level design. The absence of humanity. The regular sense that you're stepping foot in a place where there used to be life, just a moment ago, but now it's completely desolate and all that's left are the monsters that made it that way. It's the only reason I don't regret buying a PS4 in general (I just hardly play anything and it's often the Netflix Machine in my living room). I can't gush enough about it. It feels tailor-made for me and my interests.

I agree on just about every point you stated minus not wanting to add more to the game's lore so you avoided the DLC. The DLC adds tremendous replayability and cool background history lore through the Old Hunters you can summon. Check out Valtr of the League to see what I mean.

Jinsai
05-02-2016, 04:03 PM
Try to beat Maria solo. It's super easy with decent co-op, but it's a really rewarding win if you do it yourself. I liked the crazy difficulty ramp up, but the overpowered new weapons measure that out. Whirligig is ridiculous

Space Suicide
05-02-2016, 04:08 PM
Try to beat Maria solo. It's super easy with decent co-op, but it's a really rewarding win if you do it yourself. I liked the crazy difficulty ramp up, but the overpowered new weapons measure that out. Whirligig is ridiculous

I always try to do every boss solo unless I am a complete failure and have no other choice. I know she works like Gehrman and Father Gascoigne with parries and out of the entire "SoulsBorne" series, Bloodborne is the ONLY game I can 100% parry enemies about 90% the time without damage beforehand. So I should be decent!

implanted_microchip
05-02-2016, 04:08 PM
Space Suicide I have every intention of getting the DLC at some point, I'm just pretty lazy about getting around to gaming and haven't been desperate to run out of first-experiences with the game any time soon.

Also I thought everybody solos Souls games for the first time? I played DS1 with friends co-oping me through it and didn't get the hype at all, then did BB solo and totally understood why people love the games. Part of the fun for me is that helpless discovery and sense of overcoming impossible challenges.

Space Suicide
05-02-2016, 04:16 PM
@Space Suicide (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=532) I have every intention of getting the DLC at some point, I'm just pretty lazy about getting around to gaming and haven't been desperate to run out of first-experiences with the game any time soon.

Also I thought everybody solos Souls games for the first time? I played DS1 with friends co-oping me through it and didn't get the hype at all, then did BB solo and totally understood why people love the games. Part of the fun for me is that helpless discovery and sense of overcoming impossible challenges.

The original post just seemed like if you got it, the game would be spoiled in some way. Maybe it was the wording.

Not necessarily. I love and enjoy solo but enjoy playing with my friend (who I've been real life friends with for 14+ years now) as well. It's a toss up. There's no wrong way to play this game or any of the game series installments.

Kodiak33
05-02-2016, 04:24 PM
I thought Ludwig and OoK were the hardest parts of the game for sure. Bloodborne has to be in my Top 5 games ever.

liquidcalm
05-02-2016, 04:40 PM
Well, still on my first playthrough, but just beat Rom with a cheeky bit of jolly co-operation, just headed into the Unseen Village and I'm like.. whoa.

Wretchedest
05-03-2016, 05:30 PM
I guess I'm on the section where the DLC fits, so I'm gonna get it

Space Suicide
05-13-2016, 09:06 PM
Laurence the First Vicar had one hit left. I got one shotted. I'm done for the night.

Thought I'd share the rage.

Wretchedest
05-14-2016, 10:56 PM
I just reached maria and it's a tough, perfect souls fight. She is so fast, and hits so hard it's just downright discouraging, but the visual style and tempo of the fight are unmatched in gaming. Dlc is totally worth it. Ludwig was great, too.

Space Suicide
05-15-2016, 08:16 AM
I just reached maria and it's a tough, perfect souls fight. She is so fast, and hits so hard it's just downright discouraging, but the visual style and tempo of the fight are unmatched in gaming. Dlc is totally worth it. Ludwig was great, too.

Even though he pissed me off, Ludwig is probably my favorite boss in this game in retrospect. Not to mention his theme during his fight is amazing.

I ended up beating Laurence yesterday morning. Need to do the Research Hall and Living Failures today sometime.

Wretchedest
05-15-2016, 10:16 AM
The living failures are absolutely a walk in the park... should I do Lawrence before maria and Orphan, then?

Kodiak33
05-15-2016, 12:05 PM
I did Lawrence after Maria, but it's really up to you.

Wretchedest
05-15-2016, 08:49 PM
I ended up taking down Maria first. Now I'm waiting at Launrence, Orphan of Kos, Martyr Logarius, and the forbidden woods. I have a lot of options. I've also picked up the bow and Rakuyo, and Rakuyo is the first weapon that I've ever actually used seriously instead of the threaded cane, so eager to level that up from its current +8

Space Suicide
05-17-2016, 02:04 PM
I beat maria of the Astral Clocktower solo....only about 8 tries. Ughhhhhh.

All I have left is Fishing Hamlet and the crying bitch (Orphan of Kos).

Space Suicide
06-08-2016, 04:12 PM
Gonna face and kill the Orphan of Kos tonight!

Space Suicide
06-09-2016, 10:34 PM
Old Hunters DLC 100% completed. Got every trophy and Old Hunter weapon too!

Space Suicide
07-15-2021, 09:37 PM
Sorry to bump this thread but this was too awesome not to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CmYGBO-6as

Self.Destructive.Pattern
07-19-2021, 09:10 PM
Sorry to bump this thread but this was too awesome not to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CmYGBO-6as

Never apologize for bumping this thread...

Jinsai
07-19-2021, 09:42 PM
I was expecting the thread-bump to be about the fact that these rumors about a sequel have (once again) been debunked. Whatever the rumored "Veil" game that From is working on is not directly tied to Bloodborne.

At least it seems Elden Ring is back on track.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
07-24-2021, 05:35 PM
https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1416654671502999555?s=19

Love how this guy just keeps showing his love for this game.