PDA

View Full Version : Humans on Mars by 2024? The Mars One project

GulDukat
02-10-2015, 08:24 AM
http://www.mars-one.com/

Good luck to these people, should this project go forward. While I find the Mars One project intriguing, I don't see this being successful, given all the things that could go wrong. And what's the hurry? Why not spend another 100 years researching the project, waiting for technology to improve etc. and give the project a fighting chance?

Swykk
02-10-2015, 08:32 AM
Get your ass to Mars!

allegro
02-10-2015, 08:47 AM
We need a space program again. This is cool.

sentient02970
02-10-2015, 08:48 AM
All this work only to discover that Mars is haunted.

aggroculture
02-10-2015, 09:22 AM
We need an Earth program.

We're dying and killing each other in droves, beheading each other on the internet, burning up this planet as fast as we can. And buying into sci fi fantasies.

I think humanity deserves extinction.

GulDukat
02-10-2015, 09:27 AM
We need an Earth program.

Ideally we should have both-take care of our planet and our people while setting our sights to the stars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toG6aSQFF7Y

cahernandez
02-10-2015, 09:34 AM
Yeah, I see a Mars program as pointless, and Hollywood movies have tricked people into thinking that going to Mars is something reasonable. Like aggroculture said, we need an Earth program. Why do we need to colonize a completely inhospitable planet for human life, if what we have here is the perfect planet! It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Instead of directing all those funds to sending a robot to Mars, spend all that money in renewable energy and better and cleaner public transport.

If you have traveled around this Earth, you will see that we have the perfect planet, and that the Mars' idea is just bollocks (there's no surface water there! no trees...it will not be able to sustain human life unless it's heavily modified!)

GulDukat
02-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I see a Mars program as pointless, and Hollywood movies have tricked people into thinking that going to Mars is something reasonable. Like aggroculture said, we need an Earth program. Why do we need to colonize a completely inhospitable planet for human life, if what we have here is the perfect planet! It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Instead of directing all those funds to sending a robot to Mars, spend all that money in renewable energy and better and cleaner public transport.

If you have traveled around this Earth, you will see that we have the perfect planet, and that the Mars' idea is just bollocks (there's no surface water there! no trees...it will not be able to sustain human life unless it's heavily modified!)
The Captain Kirk video didn't inspire you?

I'd love to see humans go to Mars, but only when we're ready and it could really have a chance to succeed.

allegro
02-10-2015, 09:38 AM

If you know anything about Earth, at all, you'd know that it's not a very hospitable planet, at all, and that it's good to have a Plan B. But it seems awfully scary. I wouldn't go, let me put it that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5E3MCNEWR0

aggroculture
02-10-2015, 10:35 AM
Been reading this comic lately: very creepy.
They send cockroaches to Mars to help terraform the atmosphere there, and the roaches evolve into hostile humanoids.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/98/Teraformars_vol1.jpg

cahernandez
02-10-2015, 04:28 PM
If you know anything about Earth, at all, you'd know that it's not a very hospitable planet, at all, and that it's good to have a Plan B. But it seems awfully scary. I wouldn't go, let me put it that way.

Earth, not a very hospitable planet? Ha! Right amount of oxygen, PLENTY of fresh water for our needs, right "amount of gravity", plenty of trees that process carbon dioxide (if you calculated the economic value that trees represent, you would come up with a figure in the billions of dollars...and they are all doing that work for us, for free! You wouldn't have that in Mars), plus a great biodiversity (there's not much that can live in Mars that could sustain us!) If you think about our knowledge of the universe, we are a very interesting accident. There were just the right conditions in this Earth for us to live here. Like I said, it's a lot easier to focus our attention into preserving our home, than to waste money in a doomed experiment.

Read this article: http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/feb/09/mars-one-mission-a-one-way-trip-to-the-red-planet-in-2024

And read the comments :)

allegro
02-10-2015, 05:20 PM
Earth, not a very hospitable planet? Ha!
It's not a totally hospitable planet because of earthquakes, volcanos, tornados, tsunamis, and the dozens of other ways that Earth doesn't give a rat's ass if it's inhabited by life forms. Earth isn't here to help us live. Sure, Earth isn't as bad as Mars currently is, but there's evidence that Mars USED TO BE Earth-like; there's evidence that our life forms on Earth came from Mars. If something happened like what happened that wiped out the dinosaurs (meteor?), then where's your escape hatch? We've had natural ice ages in the past that completely wiped out all life forms, that were before the Industrial Revolution and were totally not human-related; they were just Earth cycles and normal. If that happens again, what do you propose we do? Light a giant bonfire? (The Sun will go Red Giant in a Billion years so there's nothing wrong with planning ahead, but Mars is a pretty bad choice for a Plan B in that event (http://www.universetoday.com/12648/will-earth-survive-when-the-sun-becomes-a-red-giant/).)

Space travel is interesting, but we just don't seem to have the current technology to TRAVEL fast enough, that's our biggest problem.

There are probably lots of other galaxies out there with planets that are identical to Earth, but we can't find them or reach them because we're incapable of getting very far outside of our own orbit. We can't even figure out jet propulsion. We rely on Einstein's Theory of Relativity to say that we can't travel faster than the speed of light, and we have no methods of propulsion that can go even close to that. (Except see this (http://www.livescience.com/16248-speed-light-special-relativity-neutrinos.html))

I still contend that we could have technology that could "beam" us somewhere outside of our galaxy, someday, like on Star Trek. We wouldn't need to move an entire fucking spaceship via propulsion or need warp technology like on Star Trek.