12-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Anybody heard of these guys? Pretty good stuff

imail724
12-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Indeed

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

sukey
12-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Just started listening to them as the final phase of my "listen-to-everything-Josh-Homme-has-ever-touched" life plan. I got Welcome to Sky Valley and I think it's awesome.

seasonsinthesky
12-03-2011, 07:48 PM
classic band, love the majority of stuff (save about 80% of Wretch).

this whole Kyuss Lives thing John Garcia is doing is kinda lame.

Totally
12-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Why? ......

seasonsinthesky
12-03-2011, 09:00 PM
it just strikes me as a cash grab. i'm really not interested in watching Garcia try to relive the glory days that won't happen again (mostly because Homme won't do it); it's pretty sad regardless of how great a gig they may play. i don't care about cover bands, and this is one step removed from that — besides, his vocals are pretty much icing on a fantastic cake. the actual band members not being around (save that one gig) makes this decidedly cakeless!

imail724
12-04-2011, 11:03 AM
it just strikes me as a cash grab. i'm really not interested in watching Garcia try to relive the glory days that won't happen again (mostly because Homme won't do it); it's pretty sad regardless of how great a gig they may play. i don't care about cover bands, and this is one step removed from that — besides, his vocals are pretty much icing on a fantastic cake. the actual band members not being around (save that one gig) makes this decidedly cakeless!But the actual band members are around. Only Homme isn't participating.

Just started listening to them as the final phase of my "listen-to-everything-Josh-Homme-has-ever-touched" life plan. I got Welcome to Sky Valley and I think it's awesome.If you like that you gotta check out Blues for a Red Sun.

Space Suicide
12-04-2011, 11:32 AM
is it sad I never really listened to Kyuss outside of Welcome to Sky Valley?

imail724
12-04-2011, 11:46 AM
I don't think it's sad, but you should give Blues a spin. Those are the only two Kyuss albums I have. Plus the split ep with QOTSA.

seasonsinthesky
12-04-2011, 02:20 PM
But the actual band members are around. Only Homme isn't participating.
true about Kyuss Lives, but at the same time, the majority of the Kyuss sound came from how Homme bounced off Oliveri (and then Reeder). dunno, seems like a rip watching Bruno Fevery either attempt to copy Homme's style or completely change it. there's only one Homme, and he doesn't even really play like that anymore in QOTSA.

think i'm a fire engine
12-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Of course there's gonna be people who just plain won't accept it because Homme isn't involved. I, however, am glad to see them up and going again. They were such a special band that they deserve to have the interested members back together instead of having record label issues, financial problems, mired in obscurity, and everything like their individual projects were going through for awhile. Let them have their nostalgia trip. It's only a shame if you let it be.

Zipfinator
12-04-2011, 06:51 PM
is it sad I never really listened to Kyuss outside of Welcome to Sky Valley?

That's hands down my favorite Kyuss album by far (Maybe even one of my favorite albums in general) and honestly there isn't much else in Kyuss' discography that I ever return to much. So no, I don't think it's sad.

Hula
12-06-2011, 05:14 AM
I've been listening to Kyuss a lot lately on my way to work, particularly Welcome to Sky Valley. It's pretty much the high point of the stuff they put out (and I'm saying this as a fan—Wretch might as well not even exist).

It's kinda nice to dig out their CDs after a few years and remember how it felt to be in love with them all over again.

Totally
12-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Circus could be their best. any given one could be

Space Suicide
03-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Josh Homme And Scott Reeder “Forced” To File Lawsuit Against Kyuss Lives!

Queens Of The Stone Age frontman Josh Homme and fellow former Kyuss member Scott Reeder have filed a lawsuit against singer John Garcia and drummer Brant Bjork – who have been recently performing classic Kyuss material under the banner of Kyuss Lives! – over the ownership of the Kyuss name.Homme and Reeder released a joint public statement this past weekend stating that they had “made every attempt to help [Garcia, Bjork and Oliveri] continue Kyuss Lives! respectfully. Only to discover while they looked us in the eye, Kyuss Lives! management and band had filed federal documents in 2011 in an attempt to steal the name Kyuss. This is desperately what we were trying to avoid.”
Reeder has released a new statement via his own Facebook page stating that he and Homme were “forced” to act quickly when they discovered the aforementioned naming issue.

“Maaaaaaan, I’ve been called every foul name in the book [on Saturday], and all I did was make a choice to stand up to defend and retain small rights that I should be able to keep sacred and unhindered for the rest of my life and beyond,” he writes. “I didn’t have much of a choice: lose all of the rights in two weeks, or keep them forever. I didn’t choose to be in this situation at all — I was forced to react very quickly with a looming deadline, and it’s been rough. I saw people bitterly divided [yesterday] over this stupid stuff… crazy. But the overwhelming support from friends and family was very much appreciated and needed. Thank you.”

Man, why can’t we all just get along?

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/josh-homme-and-scott-reeder-forced-to-file-lawsuit-against-kyuss-lives/

fillow
03-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Didn't Reeder replace Oliveri at some KL! shows? I thought he was on Garcia's side too.

botley
03-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Didn't Reeder replace Oliveri at some KL! shows? I thought he was on Garcia's side too.
Sure. Plus Garcia sang some Kyuss tunes at a Queens of the Stone Age gig several years back. That doesn't make it okay for his camp to try underhandedly stealing the band name from anyone else. It's not about taking sides but rather what is or isn't fair. They can play the old material all they like, but there's no way Homme's going to let them take over the Kyuss trademark and everything it represents for their own personal gains. Nor should he. Let it be something sacred to those who want it that way.

novacide
03-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Sky Valley is one of my favourite albums ever.

Madmya
03-15-2012, 03:54 AM
The whole thing stinks, but I understand what Josh is doing. He shouldn't use the name Kyuss anyway, they must want to release an album.

As for Kyuss Lives!, well I've seen them and the show was sooooooo good. Yes, we all knew it would have been even better with Josh there but it doesn't take away from the fact that the show was one of the better live gigs I've seen. It was a mother fucking rock show and I wish I could have dragged some hipster wannabe in there to see it to show them what a live show can be.

bobbie solo
03-16-2012, 12:55 AM
ugh what does the term "hipster wannabe" even mean? i am so sick of this blanket phrase nowadays for anyone dressed even remotely unique or part of an underground music scene that YOU don't like. hipster needs to be retired, it means nothing.

Madmya
03-16-2012, 02:46 AM
Mmmm, that's hipster wannabe talk if I've ever seen it.

It is a throwaway phrase for someone who dresses like a douchebag in the beholder's eyes. Hipster's are a bunch of tossers though:

http://youtu.be/o_5uVdy5YmA

bobbie solo
03-16-2012, 04:16 AM
when someone is dressed in some obnoxious, absurd outfit that screams LOOK AT ME, with the handlebar mustache, and lives in or is seen out in Williamsburg, Austin, Silver Lake, whatever....yeah, I get using it there. That's where the term seems to have picked up steam again. But now, people use the word as a put down for many diff. people with only the slightest difference in image. For example, some metalheads call anyone at a show with a plaid button-down & glasses a hipster. come on....thats a pretty common style across all diff. kinds of people nowadays.

Madmya
03-16-2012, 07:04 AM
I wear glasses anyway. I used it as a meaningless comment, mainly stemming from my general dislike to the fads in music these days. It's like if you can just get some synth and have a chorus of 'whooaaaaa ohhh ohhh ohhh whoaaaaa' then you're going to be popular on triple J. I just wondered how people can dig that shit live, and then I saw Kyuss Lives! and it was phenomenal and wished that everyone could have experienced that. The crowd was pretty much 30+ which may have attributed to it being great though. It's like they'd been waiting to see it for a long, long time and everyone's joy came out at once. I won't hesitate in seeing them again.

P.S. Welcome to Sky Valley is amazing.

botley
03-22-2012, 11:32 PM
Nick has quit the band. He talks about it here (http://www.antiquiet.com/interviews/2012/03/interview-nick-oliveri-quits-kyuss/).

I knew something was fishy ever since the announcement that they'd be trying to record new material together. No one came out of this fiasco untarnished, but at least Oliveri is able to show the decency to get out while the getting's good.

Harry Seaward
03-23-2012, 12:51 AM
Nick has quit the band. He talks about it here (http://www.antiquiet.com/interviews/2012/03/interview-nick-oliveri-quits-kyuss/).

Holy shit. I'm trying to like that guy, but watching the interview, he acts like every annoying-ass tweaker I've ever met. Fuckin' A.

botley
03-26-2012, 12:56 AM
Here is the actual suit (https://s3.amazonaws.com/www.filmesq.com/03092012_homme_v_kyuss_lives.pdf) filed by Homme.

Harry Seaward
03-26-2012, 04:05 AM
^ Could've at least censored out their addresses...

jonypony81
04-15-2012, 08:26 PM
I am mad that I missed them coming through in milwaukee, wished they would have played a weekend night, love that crunchy rock they so vehemently perfected...what this about josh homme though I thought he was an original member how was he not on the KYUss lives tour?

botley
04-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Simple answer is that he doesn't need the money and didn't feel comfortable doing it.

henryeatscereal
04-15-2012, 11:03 PM
shame that Nick Oliveri left, but he's very unstable i guess he's returning to Mondo Generator... KYUSS LIVES was in my town a few month ago but i didnt saw them, HUGE mistake :(

henryeatscereal
05-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/kyuss-lives-on-josh-homme-lawsuit-we-have-decided-to-fight-for-our-rights/

Totally
03-07-2018, 10:40 PM
Heads up! John Garcia is doing a single N. American date in Calgary, AB this Saturday March 10th at Dynamite.

Trying Ng to make the show myself coming from Vancouver.

He'll be playing an electric set including stuff from his whole back catalogue. Besides this one off show, he's playing four dates in Australia.

If you think you might hit up Cowtown, give me a shout! :-)