16 Gave Up
17 Hurt
18 1,000,000
19 The Hand That Feeds
20 Head Like A Hole

Will post review tomorrow. Goodnight.

FULLMETAL
02-28-2014, 08:13 PM
Night three. This was my last NIN show (at least until they announce dates in the US) and I could not have been more pleased with the vibe of the evening.

Again, Ally opened with a similar set but this time I could see him up close. It was really cool to see him manipulate the synth and hear exactly what was happening. I know Rob recorded some video, so hopefully that will surface at some point. Regardless, he was the perfect opener for these intimate shows.

I find it amusing how some fans use social media thinking they saw the same show as people who were actually in attendance, and then attempt to critique the performance. I think the band feeds off of the enthusiasm & energy of the crowd and that intangible aura is impossible to quantify unless you're in attendance. Judging a show without the personal experience is a disservice to the essence of live performance. /rant

Anyhow, this was a great show to say goodbye with. In terms of the setlist, I was pleased it was heavy on YZ. I cannot get enough of "The Warning", "Me, I'm Not" & "The Great Destroyer." Plus, "Survivalism" & TBOTE always rock the house. Again, "Hand Covers Bruise" going into BYIT was exquisite, but powering through with "1,000,000", THTF & HLAH to close the show practically concussed everyone in the audience.

In terms of the production, no one should be expecting Tension's lights and screens. If anything, it's akin to the two Las Vegas shows or Mountain Oasis performance from 2013. That's not a bad thing since it frees up the band to add songs from the catalog into the show without having to make radical adjustments to the lighting. Of course, practice makes perfect and as they get further into the tour I imagine more gems will be uncovered.

I must close this by sending extra-special thanks to the wonderfully kind & passionate NIN fans I had the pleasure to meet and hang out with while visiting Japan. I welcome the chance to rock out with you all again. I had such a great time and can only hope to return the generosity you've shown me.

Here's some pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/slobass/tags/nin2014/

LustLain
02-28-2014, 09:22 PM
Man, I was super pissed last night... thanks to having to wait for a friend, we didn't get to the show until the middle of The Beginning of the End.

Setlist was good. I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of Piggy/March of the Pigs, not that I would've disliked hearing those live. The only song that didn't really do much for me was Echoplex. Would've rather had Sattelite or Reptile there.

And while The Warning was good (naturally), I think I'd have much preferred God Given or Meet Your Master in its place.

Other than those minor quibbles though, it was a fantastic show. The fuck-up during one of the YZ tracks (I think it was Me, I'm Not) was pretty entertaining too.

Kenji_Tokyo
03-01-2014, 10:00 AM
Tokyo day 1 was mix of the old and the new. Day 2 was greatest hits minus HM.
I had expected on day 3 NIN would go back to day 1's tone, but it turned out "expect the unexpected".

Setlist-wise, this was the most unusual NIN show I've attended. They culled many songs from HM and YZ.
If you are a casual fan who wanted "MOTP", "Closer" and "Wish", surely you were disappointed.
But for diehards like me, it was a great show that gave us rarely played songs.

At the end of the opener "All Time Low", TR sang "you get me closer to god" that was the only snippet of "Closer" heard in 3 nights.

One of the reasons that made NIN one of the best live acts in the world is their great musicianship, but tonight there were a few mistakes.
When the first lines of "The Great Destroyer" was meant to kick in, TR forgot lyrics. The band stopped playing, TR said to the audience not to tell this (sorry if my post mars your reputation , TR!) and the band restarted the song from the intro. TR also failed to properly start to sing "Copy Of A". Luckily the crowd was warm to him and didn't boo.

"Hurt" sandwiched between "Gave Up" and last 3 rocking tunes was odd. It would have been better if "Hurt" had been played before "Gave Up".

Not a perfect show, but the overall vibe of the show was great. Experiencing different aspects of NIN's music on each night was the proof that TR has successfully made NIN sound multi-dimensional through his career.
I had the best view of 3 nights, at the front row between TR and Alessandro that helped me enjoy the show.

Kenji_Tokyo
03-01-2014, 10:05 AM
I must close this by sending extra-special thanks to the wonderfully kind & passionate NIN fans I had the pleasure to meet and hang out with while visiting Japan. I welcome the chance to rock out with you all again. I had such a great time and can only hope to return the generosity you've shown me.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in Tokyo. Hope we meet again sometime, somewhere.