PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing opening bands?

DrFink
10-30-2013, 12:46 AM
I have been consistently disappointed with the NIN openers since I first saw them in 2005. To this day the only openers I have enjoyed are The Dresden Dolls and Bauhaus. I hated Street Sweeper Social Club, TV on the Radio, Autolux, Queens of the Stone Age, and I'm not all that happy about having to sit through Explosions in the Sky next month.

I respect that Trent puts different genres together and gives unexpected openers, but they have never quite clicked for me. Anyone else have similar experiences with NIN openers?

Alvetica
10-30-2013, 01:27 AM
Should I get off your lawn?

Zipfinator
10-30-2013, 02:09 AM
Street Sweeper I didn't really care for. I would have been quite ecstatic to see either Queens or Autolux open for NIN though. Too bad I was 13 and my music taste was shit then.

downward
10-30-2013, 05:46 AM
Count yourself lucky that you didn't have to sit through 40 minutes of Godspeed you black emperor ! 40 minutes of my life I'll never get back, absolutely a horrible opening band that put the crowd to sleep instead of winding them up!

redshoewearer
10-30-2013, 07:28 AM
I must disagree. NIN is one of the few bands that I usually like the opening band choices. TR is a good curator of other music.

ethan829
10-30-2013, 07:32 AM
A Place to Bury Strangers sucked, Boris was kinda cool, SSSC was pretty awesome I thought, and I was pleasantly surprised by Explosions in the Sky.

tony.parente
10-30-2013, 07:42 AM
I hated Queens of the Stone Age.

How does this happen?

sick among the pure
10-30-2013, 07:46 AM
Saul Williams and Peaches, I will always count myself lucky that I got to see both of these openers. The rest of the openers I've seen make a jumbled list where I can't remember exactly how much less I liked them. Somewhere near the bottom is Explosions, because standing for one 45 minute long song got tired, fast.
For me, it's never been about disliking a band for the opener, just not something that (in my opinion) worked well as an opener for NIN. I'd have no problem listening to most of the openers I've seen, sitting at home, enjoying music. Or even seeing them live, in a seat, just taking it in. But when I'm on the floor, standing, been in line for 6 hours, excited to see NIN, they just aren't doing it for me.

icklekitty
10-30-2013, 07:53 AM
On behalf of everyone from the UK (and schteph): LADYTRON

fillow
10-30-2013, 08:49 AM
IS THIS THREAD FOR REAL?

I can only think of one NIN opening band that sucked: The Bug. A couple of others I didn't really care much, but the majority were fucking awesome choices.

maryelle
10-30-2013, 09:01 AM
GY!BE was my most disliked opening band at any show I’ve ever been to. They are a good band, I mean; they are talented; and I think they would be fantastic to listen to at home with some phones on and/or while having a couple glasses of wine, or smoking a joint, or eating mushrooms, or having S&M sex. They’d be great at a symphony hall or in as a featured act in an art exposition. But I found them a giant snoozefest before NIN. I prefer a band that gets you ready for the headliner, not one that makes you wish to god you could sit down. I was dying, esp. at Asheville with my broken boot. Nothing to distract me for what seemed like 3 hours. Also they had the most horrible stage presence I’ve ever seen. It was like watching Bodies, The Exhibition, up there. Contrast to Trent who is twice their age and didn’t stop moving the whole time during his set. The one guy with his back to the audience the whole time, bleh.

For other acts, I most enjoyed SSSC, Dresden Dolls, Numan (more of a pre-act than an opener at my show), Dillinger Escape Plan, Peaches, Manson. I didn't even mind The Bug - that guy was really nice too; met him after the show.

m15a
10-30-2013, 10:48 AM
i've really enjoyed most of NIN's opening bands and definitely being introduced to different groups, some of which i still listen to. there was one group that i didn't like (i won't say which because who cares what someone doesn't like?), but i will say that i think they may have been even less appreciated than GY!BE.

i find it, uh, pretty strange that people think that opening bands should function to put them in a certain mood or whatever. if you want to get pumped up, listen to EDM on your headphones while drinking a few beers or something. (i'm just kidding. i don't even know exactly what EDM is, and i don't drink beer.)

Highly Psychological
10-30-2013, 11:26 AM
I always thought NINs opener's in the U.S over the years have been good, The Bug, Hole, Type O Negative, Autolux, Deerhunter, QOTSA etc.

Ive never really liked NINs opening bands in UK Ladytron were fucking awful, sounded like bored androids playing a casio keyboard, and The Dresden Dolls were crap Pantomine.

The less said about Atrai Teenage Riot experience the better.

With the exception that track from 28 Days Later ive never been able to get into Godspeed, most tracks are about 20 mintues long.

virushopper
10-30-2013, 02:14 PM
I can only think of one NIN opening band that sucked: The Bug.
Totally agree with you there.

icecream
10-30-2013, 04:08 PM
I would kill to seen NIN with Queens! Wish I could afford to go to Aus to see that tour. Stupid school/being poor. On a side note, I agree. Trent tends to pick pretty shitty bands. Though I like Godspeed, I wouldn't want to sit through them before a NIN show. That isn't to say I want Manson before a Nin show. Just... All of us are super excited before the show. It would be great to get a bad who will play with and build up the excitement. I'm not looking forward to Explosions either, they just don't do it for me. On record or live, I just don't find them interesting. As my friend described them, they are the colour beige of music.

That other guy
10-30-2013, 11:35 PM
This is just my thoughts , I think openers as well as Merchandise (tour shirts are basic and shrink , why isn't Rob assisting increating awesome shirts?) is a weak point for Trent ( don't get me wrong he has amazing talent) , but both lack that extra punch, to create that much more of an "amazing experience"

Charmingly Miserable
10-30-2013, 11:53 PM
I thought Autolux was kinda boring but Saul Williams was crazy good. I wish I could have seen Dresden Dolls and Does It Offend You, Yeah? and Peaches. I was totally into DIOYY at the time. My wish was to have Death Grips open for NIN this time around.

Tyson
10-31-2013, 12:04 AM
How does this happen?

Seriously. I was gonna come in here and jokingly say QOTSA was the worst ever, because I was sure they wouldn't be on any lists. Back in the WT days I was excited about having them as openers, and disappointed that the show I was attending would be opened by some guy I'd never heard of named Saul Williams. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised.

k258
10-31-2013, 05:42 AM
I can tolerate any band for 45 minutes. I love the opportunity for a new experience. Godspeed was one of my favorites. Mind blowing, immersive presentation.

fillow
10-31-2013, 06:40 AM
Bands I knew and liked before they toured with NIN or before I learned about them touring together at some past tour:
skinny puppy
meat beat manifesto
jane's addiction
siouxsie and the banshees
marilyn manson
pig
die krupps
david bowie
a perfect circle
queens of the stone age
peaches
boris
godspeed you! black emperor
explosions in the sky
gary numan

bands/artists that I checked only after (and mostly due to) their NIN tour connection:
a) chemlab, treponem pal, type o negative, the dresden dolls, health (ok, but not exactly my cup of tea)
b) peter murphy, the jesus and mary chain, butthole surfers, pwei, prick, helmet, atari teenage riot/alec empire, saul williams, moving units, autolux, bauhaus, ladytron, a place to bury strangers, does it offend you yeah?, crystal castles, street sweeper social club, mew (like them all)
c) hole, dfa1979, the bug (IMO they suck)

Some honorable mentions (opened or co-headlined once or twice): the melvins, unkle, serena maneesh, the silversun pickups, foo fighters, theodor bastard, tomahawk, guns'n'roses, eagles of death metal

Bands that are still a complete mystery to me: die warzau, the wonderstaff, carter the unstoppable sex machine, fem 2 fem, the dandy warhols, the popo, a few more that I forgot

ltrandazzo
10-31-2013, 04:27 PM
Tony's favorite openers since 2005 -

Autolux, QOTSA, Saul Williams, Deerhunter, DIOYY?, Boris, The Bug, Explosions in the Sky.

I'm with everyone on Godspeed, though. They can fuck right off.

Charmingly Miserable
11-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Wasn't Crystal Castles the laughing stock of that whole tour? Or am I just making that up? (I missed seeing them open up for Depeche Mode.)

ethan829
11-05-2013, 12:30 AM
Wasn't Crystal Castles the laughing stock of that whole tour? Or am I just making that up? (I missed seeing them open up for Depeche Mode.)

I really can't imagine them being worse than A Place to Bury Strangers. It was like a shitty garage band with a strobe light.

Charmingly Miserable
11-05-2013, 12:36 AM
I really can't imagine them being worse than A Place to Bury Strangers. It was like a shitty garage band with a strobe light.

I agree. Even though I didn't see APTBS play, their song on that tour sampler is kind of unlistenable to me.

Corona Radiata
11-05-2013, 12:46 AM
GNR didn't coheadline with NIN. NIN were the opening act.

fillow
11-05-2013, 01:31 AM
I know. That wasn't the point.

richardp
11-05-2013, 12:05 PM
The only NIN opening act that's sucked, in my opinion, since The Fragility era was Moving Units, who opened a string of dates (including mine) on the With Teeth tour. They were just a boring Interpol ripoff. But the rest have been insanely good. Although I guess I'm just too big of a hipster NIN fan, because I think GY!BE is easily the best opener Trent has ever picked. Just wish that they would have played more than just east coast dates.

Swykk
11-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Oh man, The Moving Units were fucking horrid. So were Dresden Dolls. Nothing against Bauhaus, and he was decent on the summer amphitheater shows but fuck Peter Murphy for derailing and nearly ruining the 8/29/09 show.

Nothing will beat A Perfect Circle but Autolux, Boris and Mew ruled.

Those were just for the shows I went to. I'm sad I missed Saul Williams, Gary Numan, David Bowie, Prick and Manson when he mattered.

Sarah K
11-05-2013, 09:57 PM
EITS bored the shit out of me.

I think in a different context it would be okay. Like, say I was just broken up with after a long relationship, I was drunk, and I was thinking about buying some cats... Then I could dig it. But it in no way got me excited, and kinda put me to sleep.

NINisamazing
11-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Godspeed is amazing, didnt see them open nin. To be perfectly honest, they need at-least 2 hours for them give you the full effect. Them as an opening act in general just doesn't work.

Charmingly Miserable
11-05-2013, 10:57 PM
So were Dresden Dolls.
I missed out on the Dresden Dolls. I really liked them back then but I hate Amanda Palmer now.

mindviolation
11-06-2013, 05:12 AM
Oh man, The Moving Units were fucking horrid. So were Dresden Dolls. Nothing against Bauhaus, and he was decent on the summer amphitheater shows but fuck Peter Murphy for derailing and nearly ruining the 8/29/09 show.

Nothing will beat A Perfect Circle but Autolux, Boris and Mew ruled.

Those were just for the shows I went to. I'm sad I missed Saul Williams, Gary Numan, David Bowie, Prick and Manson when he mattered.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat??? Dresden Dolls were fucking bad ass imo. I saw them and NIN at Vegas @ The Joint and I was truly blown away by Amanda Palmer and her cabaret act.

Swykk
11-06-2013, 05:21 PM
I don't know how one could describe them as "badass" but to each his or her own.

And yes, Charmingly Miserable, Amanda Palmer is insufferable now (more than ever).

thefragile_jake
11-08-2013, 12:31 PM
I don't think I've ever been downright disappointed by anything Trent's picked for an opening band. I wasn't the biggest Queens of the Stone Age fan in 2005 but I was more than happy to check them out live, but I think my favorite opening band for the four times I've seen NIN now has either been Autolux or Explosions in the Sky. I've always been more of a Mogwai fan when it comes to that post-rock instrumental sound but EITS blew me away and Autloux had such an incredible impact on me when I saw them in 2005.

One of the things I love about Trent picking his opening bands is because I feel like I share a lot of his taste in music, from groups like Deerhunter, Crystal Castles, Boris, Godspeed You, Peaches, TV on the Radio...the man certainly has a great ear for new bands but the one thing I can't stand is people who tend to be more of the "moderate rock" fans can't wrap their heads around the new acts. I'll never forget last month when I saw Nine Inch Nails, this dude in complete Hot Topic gear was yelling at Explosions in the Sky at how much they 'sucked' and 'please stop'. His wardrobe taste aside, the guy acted like a complete tool for doing that.

Scarlet Siren
11-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Just finished watching Explosions. Ugh, quite possibly the worst 45 minutes I've ever been through. Fucking horrific.

heavenly_bearded
11-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Just finished watching Explosions. Ugh, quite possibly the worst 45 minutes I've ever been through. Fucking horrific.
I have seen much, much worse. Though it is sleepy time music. Their set feels like one long song.

nemesiswontdie
11-08-2013, 11:13 PM
EITS wasn't bad in my opinion, just not my kind of music. It just felt like their time on stage was just dragging on and on because one song leads right into the next. Plus waiting outside for hours on end waiting to see NIN probably didn't help my impatience.

JamesCmuse
11-08-2013, 11:23 PM
And So I Watch You From Afar. A lot of people have given me grief for this opinion, but every song just sounds like a metal variation of Mario Kart's soundtrack. It's a novelty for the first 5 minutes and then it just becomes incredibly boring.

m15a
11-09-2013, 12:02 AM

you all have to get out and find some really awful music. :p

listen to "The Most Unwanted Song (http://www.ubu.com/sound/komar.html)" twice in a row, and let me know how it compares.

(note: i've never actually listened to EITS so i don't really know what it's like. also, the song i linked is kind of hilarious, but i only listened to part of it once.)

fatherof4in4
11-10-2013, 09:33 AM
The answer is of course Janes Addiction. Not because they were bad, but because Trent decided that they should close...

it was hilarious on the NINJA tour how the floor was a war zone for NIN and a cakewalk for Janes...

DrFink
11-10-2013, 01:43 PM
How does this happen?

It might have just been the show I was at, tbh. Homme kept picking fights with people in the GA floor in between songs and insulting the rest of the crowd so as a result they got booed throughout the set and they just didn't seem into it. I was never a huge fan of QOTSA but I never hated them. Ever since that performance I have avoided them at all costs.
As far as Autolux goes, just because they were on the same tour, I just found them boring.

Charmingly Miserable
11-11-2013, 11:39 PM
I thought EITS was a snoozefest.

DrFink
11-13-2013, 11:05 AM
I have to endure EITS tonight. I think they will be my dinner break.

Alvetica
11-13-2013, 11:20 AM
I thought EITS was a snoozefest.
The guy next to me in LA fell asleep. Until they made an extra loud sound that woke him up.

Scarlet Siren
11-13-2013, 01:36 PM
The guy next to me in LA fell asleep. Until they made an extra loud sound that woke him up.

During EITS I took a power nap at the rail in Phoenix. I'm not even joking.

Jinsai
11-13-2013, 02:28 PM
When I take a stroll over to this side of the board I'm reminded how silly you guys can be. I'm not even the biggest Explosions in the Sky fan (guess I would have rather gotten Godspeed), but that's a great opening act. It's actually one of the things that sealed the deal on the 100 dollar ticket for me.

Canuckle
11-13-2013, 08:32 PM
The blame placed on NIN for selecting a band that doesn't appeal to one's tastes is beyond hilarious.

I love that TR and NIN have almost always had solid openers. Especially when they are outside the proverbial box of NIN-type music. Do they always work? No. But it's clear from this thread that almost every band has hit a chord with someone, and really in the end, that's all you can ask for in an opener.

klyrish
11-14-2013, 11:42 AM
I thought Explosions in the Sky were/was (I never know which to use when talking about a band) okay...they had some cool songs, but the fact they're instrumental-only started to get tedious and the fact that every song started slow and built in a very predictable fashion (not to mention long...each song was like 7+ minutes long) got old quickly. I'm glad they were the only opener and NIN was on by 8:50.

october_midnight
11-14-2013, 11:49 AM
When I take a stroll over to this side of the board I'm reminded how silly you guys can be. I'm not even the biggest Explosions in the Sky fan (guess I would have rather gotten Godspeed), but that's a great opening act. It's actually one of the things that sealed the deal on the 100 dollar ticket for me.

Me too, especially after seeing how 7/10ish the setlists for NIN are, not to mention the smallish change to the stage show (I know...I know, it's different and all that, but still pretty same-y to me). I saw EITS about 2 years back here in a smaller theater and it was amazing. Different strokes and all that, but I agree...this thread's pretty funny.

DrFink
11-14-2013, 12:00 PM
I almost fell asleep during Explosions in the Sky last night. My friend nudged me and I decided it was time to take a walk. I only made it through about 15min of their set.

fillow
11-21-2013, 07:15 AM
Now, I'm sure that new tour in Europe will blow us away as usual.

Cold Cave though? I'm not sure about that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpV5fGBcHJU

katara
11-21-2013, 07:44 AM

Yeah, I'm really not feeling them at all... It's a shame, because I've liked every opener for NIN I've seen so far (with the exception of Ladytron, who were fucking awful imo).
Edit: and I couldn't stand Jane's Addiction, either. The only good thing about their set was that NIN were playing afterwards.

eversonpoe
11-21-2013, 08:57 AM

i've heard some of his studio stuff (in the studio it's mostly just wesley, the "frontman" in this video) and i like it a lot...i think the problem here is that there's only three dudes on stage, but there's a lot more happening, which means a lot of it is just playback. i understand when certain things have to be on backing tracks, but the fact that no one is actually playing that guitar line, and there's backup vocals that aren't being sung by anyone is kind of weird.

i actually really like this kind of music, but it doesn't seem to translate well to a live setting. :/ he was better live in Give Up The Ghost

(the video was supposed to start at 4:23 but that feature doesn't seem to be working)

http://youtu.be/YBsfFt9unQM?t=4m23s

frankie teardrop
11-21-2013, 01:55 PM
cold cave is awful live. they pretty much perform karaoke over backing tracks. i've never cared for them much anyway, but that was the final straw.

Your Name Here
11-21-2013, 02:23 PM
I think you have to keep an open mind when it comes to opening acts, they themselves know that you are not there to see them and it must be hard to open for NIN. The NIN fan base is extremely devoted and into seeing NIN and as a few people have mentioned they had been standing in line all day, only to come into the venue and wait through a band that they are not there to see. Everybody is enthusiastic to see NIN and after a long day of waiting our patience are stretched thin.
That being said I look at opening acts as opportunity to expand my musical horizons and experience something that I wouldn't normally go see if it were just the opening band. I never got to see Autolux but I have two of their albums and I like them a lot. Seeing NIN with bands like Jane's Addiction, Bauhaus, Gary Numan or David Bowie would simply be a bonus because I already like these artists, in fact David Bowie is my favorite along with NIN. I never got to see Crystal Castles with NIN and I just recently went to Depeche Mode and they didn't open that particular show on their tour. I like Crystal Castles I have all their stuff.
When I went NIN @ the Joint @ the Hard Rock 11/15 I gave Explosions In The Sky a chance. They weren't bad they were definitely different and different is a good thing. I found it interesting that they never stopped between songs to give the audience a chance to applaud or boo them they just kept going. Some people were actually applauding them but the didn't even give the audience a chance to acknowledge them in a positive or negative way. I looked at some of their albums on iTunes and listened to it a bit after the show but I just can't see myself listening to it on a regular basis. It doesn't mean they suck, its just not my thing.

Powhatan
11-22-2013, 01:06 PM
Why dont some of you people just show up later? Some of you sound so personally offended to watch a live band you dont like.
You paid for NIN. Why is it any surprise that a guy (Trent) has different taste than some of you? Hes older than most of you and grew up with different music in a different generation...we all have different taste. I am just happy to see a band perform that happened to be picked by the artist I am there to see and enjoy - many shows I see are NOT that situation.

Maybe invest in some 3 dollar earplugs if it is so painful to sit through a band you dont like?

virushopper
11-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Why dont some of you people just show up later?
We would but we would lose our awesome spots. It is a trade off anyway great spot but high tolerance for opening band.

I stand through Explosions in the Sky three times on this tour and it was unpleasant but that is the price I pay for being right by the sound man.

RGM81
11-22-2013, 07:32 PM
I enjoyed Explosions in the Sky. It was different and kinda neat to have a 45-minute instrumental warm-up.

[Shep]
11-22-2013, 08:41 PM
I enjoyed Janes Addiction, but I would've enjoyed them more had they had a shorter set. Boy they dragged it out.

scorpiusdiamond
11-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Has anyone checked out Cold Cave yet? I have them a brief listen and I'm not that impressed...

Microwave Jellyfish
11-22-2013, 09:03 PM
Well, they are supposed to remind us to Joy Division, at least this is what everyone's saying, but it's not working for me. Yeah, it's somewhat disappointing.

Heh, this is how I'd imagine three clones of Slam Bamboo-era Trent to look and sound like.

m33k
11-23-2013, 12:07 AM
\

For other acts, I most enjoyed SSSC, Dresden Dolls, Numan (more of a pre-act than an opener at my show), Dillinger Escape Plan, Peaches, Manson. I didn't even mind The Bug - that guy was really nice too; met him after the show.

Pretty sure Dillinger Escape Plan has never opened for NIN.

icecream
11-23-2013, 01:13 AM
I'm 95% sure Explosions in the Sky just have one song and they play it a bunch of times during their set. My friend said it sounded like they were all tuning their guitars at the same time.

maryelle
11-24-2013, 12:17 PM

Oh you are right; they just played with them onstage. Guess I wasn't paying enough attention!

m15a
11-24-2013, 12:37 PM
I'm 95% sure Explosions in the Sky just have one song and they play it a bunch of times during their set. My friend said it sounded like they were all tuning their guitars at the same time.

"the new NIN album is just bleeps and bloops."

that's what your comment sounds like.

(although at least you're not making it on an EitS board, so that's a big plus.)

icecream
11-24-2013, 07:16 PM
"the new NIN album is just bleeps and bloops."

that's what your comment sounds like.

(although at least you're not making it on an EitS board, so that's a big plus.)
Didn't mean to rub you the wrong way with that comment. Just my impression after seeing their set this week.

m15a
11-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Didn't mean to rub you the wrong way with that comment. Just my impression after seeing their set this week.

no. it didn't. i don't even like EitS. ;) but it did remind me of those sorts of comments that were made when HM came out.

DrFink
11-24-2013, 11:43 PM

It did. There were points during their set when I was still at my seat where the notes being played at the same time literally hurt my ears. I wasn't trying to be rude but I covered my ears 2 or 3 times because the sound was downright painful.

Hyperpower
11-25-2013, 11:55 AM
i think Trent has been pretty good at picking out opening bands and that is also probably the reason why im sad that i didn't get to see some bands that opened for them in the US but were not on the Toronto dates.
Street Sweeper Social Club was a memorable opener, super fun

EndlessLoveless
11-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Autolux fucking rules. Wheres some new tunes from them??? I didnt like the dresdon dolls. Saw them before the WT club tour, nin's big comeback show....couldnt wait for it to end. Too much anticipation. NIN should just do away with opening bands. They are TOO good. Everyone else sucks next to them. IMHO. Even A Perfect Circle before the fragile show i saw...didnt do anything for me. The anticipation is just too much to handle for me.

Khrz
11-25-2013, 03:17 PM
NIN should just do away with opening bands. They are TOO good.

I just replaced "NIN" with "Sex" and "opening bands" with "foreplay", and instantly found what's wrong with that reasoning...

icecream
11-25-2013, 04:45 PM
It did. There were points during their set when I was still at my seat where the notes being played at the same time literally hurt my ears. I wasn't trying to be rude but I covered my ears 2 or 3 times because the sound was downright painful.
Yeah, near the end of every single song they played when everything got really loud and climatic my ears hurt too. Not because it was loud (I was waiting to see NIN lol), but because the notes they were hitting just annoyed my ears.

cahernandez
11-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Yeah, near the end of every single song they played when everything got really loud and climatic my ears hurt too. Not because it was loud (I was waiting to see NIN lol), but because the notes they were hitting just annoyed my ears.

I take it you two haven't seen The Melvins or Mogwai live...you're missing out!

icecream
11-25-2013, 05:03 PM
I take it you two haven't seen The Melvins or Mogwai live...you're missing out!
Are they similar to EitS?

cahernandez
11-25-2013, 05:33 PM
Are they similar to EitS?

I would say Mogwai is a better version of EitS. Check out "Harcore Will Never Die But You Will", if you like it then start checking out the rest of their discography. Their shows are infamous for being loud...I recall hearing the guitar player blowing up his amp during a show in Austin TX.

icecream
11-25-2013, 05:50 PM
I would say Mogwai is a better version of EitS. Check out "Harcore Will Never Die But You Will", if you like it then start checking out the rest of their discography. Their shows are infamous for being loud...I recall hearing the guitar player blowing up his amp during a show in Austin TX.
Alright, I'll check them out tonight. I'm pretty much up for trying anything, it's how I got into NIN about 10 years ago lol.

Brundlefly
12-03-2013, 10:35 PM
I feel like I'm blaspheming, but I honestly couldn't get into Gary Numan at the show in Orlando on Halloween. His band sounded so generic that I was wondering when Gary Numan was going to come on, and then they started playing "Cars". Then when Trent brought him up for Reptile, eventually I just wished Gary would get in his car and drive away. It was very grating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9zke1y7_-E

It's a very important song to me, and I just couldn't get into his voice-- it sounded so out of place.

Usedtohaveaporpoise
12-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Saw Ghostland Oberservatory open in SA in 2008. they are always fun. EITS was good at first, but as many other posters suggested...it got old after a while.

the duder
12-10-2013, 05:23 PM

But, fuck, if they did....

Wait, won't they both be touring this summer/fall 2014?

50 Volt Phantom
12-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Trent said on a Spiral Q&A that he wouldn't want to follow up a Dillinger performance, but I'm all for it.

I don't understand the Godspeed hate, they are the best opener I've seen for NIN, even better than QOTSA for me. On the flipside the Dresden Dolls were fucking atrocious, some of the worst shit I've ever seen.

Volband
12-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Cold Cave sounds awesome, interesting and also, original. I'm really looking forward seeing them live!

(nope; nope; nope; nope)

Seriously, NA gets bands which are either cool and/or interesting (Ladytron, NINJA opening bands), or some garage band, but at least you can jump around for that shit. Trent has to open with Vessel, followed up by The Collector, to keep the gay-theme CC will set. And here I thought Alec Empire jamming with a face of "boy, am I really paid for this?" was terrible. /okay, if suffering through this joke will mean NIN will play The Collector for real, I'm OK with that)

Edit:

:D:D:D::D:D:D::DA_,d.-das,dsa-,das.-dsa,sa-a.,a.,da.s,das-. what the fuck is this, LOL, ain't no The Collector worths it. Bah, whatever, I guess I'll have to drink some alcohol.

eversonpoe
12-17-2013, 02:20 PM
^ wh...what? did you just take a whole lot of drugs before you wrote that post?

frankie teardrop
12-17-2013, 02:26 PM
hahahahahah, i mean i'm NO cold cave fan, despite the band operating in the same kind of gothic synthpop world i adore, but that post is a hoot and a holler.

wizfan
12-17-2013, 04:10 PM
And here I thought Alec Empire jamming with a face of "boy, am I really paid for this?" was terrible.

This. So fucking this.

I expected Alec to perform with his band The Hellish Vortex when I saw him open for NIN and JA in Greece. I even listened to as many of his solo albums as I could in order to become familiar with his post-ATR material. Then I saw him just wanking on his drum machines for 30 minutes or so and then he waved at us and left. I was hugely disappointed, and I remain a big ATR/Alec fan.

GulDukat
12-18-2013, 06:42 AM
Trent said on a Spiral Q&A that he wouldn't want to follow up a Dillinger performance, but I'm all for it.

I don't understand the Godspeed hate, they are the best opener I've seen for NIN, even better than QOTSA for me. On the flipside the Dresden Dolls were fucking atrocious, some of the worst shit I've ever seen.

I thought that Godspeed were alright. It might not be the best idea to have an all-instrumental band open for NIN though. It was the same thing when Explosions in the Sky opened for the Pumpkins. I hate it when audience members heckle the opening act though--it's just so rude. Why don't you assholes get up on stage and try to play your music?

I thought that the Dresden Dolls were great.

xolotl
12-18-2013, 10:11 AM
I'll raise everyone's ire by saying that I've never been able to get into QOTSA, and was frustrated by their pretty long opening set when I saw 'em in, um, 2006? Alas!

In general I've found I don't tend to end up remembering much about NIN openers... I did enjoy Explosions, though I'd have preferred Godspeed. I thought Dresden Dolls were awesome on the 05 club tour, that's when I first got into them.

andre78
12-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Some honorable mentions (opened or co-headlined once or twice): the melvins, unkle, serena maneesh, the silversun pickups, foo fighters, theodor bastard, tomahawk, guns'n'roses, eagles of death metal

Damn, I'd really, really, really like to see Tomahawk open for NIN. My wet dream is seeing Trent and Mike Patton sharing a stage. Or doing music together.

PUNCHLINE
12-21-2013, 08:35 AM
Ladytron. Saw them twice on that tour and both times they were just dreadful. Dull, uninspiring, looking like a bunch of students playing a load of Casio presets and trying hard to be "moody".

kel
03-18-2014, 07:11 PM
IS THIS THREAD FOR REAL?

I can only think of one NIN opening band that sucked: The Bug. A couple of others I didn't really care much, but the majority were fucking awesome choices.

word. i didn't get it. at all. jamaican dancehall-ish?

my experience --

the good: deerhunter, crystal castles, tvotr, qotsa, autolux, saul.

the bad: a perfect circle, bauhaus.

the hideous: the bug, carre callaway.

TheRealNs1
03-18-2014, 07:31 PM
Any particular reason why APC was horrendous? I mean, granted it's 15 years later but I would've destroyed someone to see APC open up for NIN.

For me, all the NIN openers have been terrible, with notable WTF going to "The Bug" and "HEALTH".

sheepdean
03-18-2014, 08:39 PM
For me, all the NIN openers have been terrible, with notable WTF going to "The Bug" and "HEALTH".
As in, all the ones you've seen, or you think Ally doing a solo instrumental set is a bad thing?

TheRealNs1
03-18-2014, 09:31 PM
As in, all the ones you've seen, or you think Ally doing a solo instrumental set is a bad thing?

I saw that set too. It was okay, I didn't love it or anything.

Ally's solo is most certainly better than HEALTH...

kel
03-18-2014, 10:53 PM
it was boring. *shrug*

it was my first nin show, so impatience (i was 19) might've been a factor. maynard stood near the front of the stage in that thirsty wig, barely moving. i saw tool a few years later and he was (surprisingly) even less engaged, but the visuals kept my attention. apc just had (what looked like) a velvet banner/curtain. it was oddly disorienting, watching it in a huge, undersold arena, pissing my cargo shorts in anticipation.

elevenism
03-19-2014, 04:33 AM
I haven't even heard this band, but this comment had me laughing.

@c0f3d (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=420) ...APC...Bad?
I saw them open for nails in dallas and i thought they were fucking AWESOME.

I was disappointed with Boris. It was cool for about 10 minutes, and then started to give me a fucking headache.

i was surprised/shocked by marilyn manson. my brother and i had never heard of them...(this was in 94, mind you,) and we were expecting maybe a dark folk rock act or something. Musically, they were pretty fucking awful, but it was cool to watch in the "what in the FUCK is this" sense.

But what tops it all off for me was the melvins in 95 in dallas. No audio or video survives from this performance as far as i know. Pop Will Eat Itself was the original opener, but they didn't show for whatever reason.
This was when nin still played "fair park colliseum," (which is the place where they have the fucking dog show at the state fair.) Disney on Ice had been there a few nights before, and the ice was poorly covered with wood in the ga area.
Now, anyone who saw nin in the early nineties or watched closure knows that an NIN crowd was a violent sea of black clothing, hormones and teen angst.
It seems like the melvins played one or two songs and got booed. But then, people in the GA area started throwing things at them. HEAVY things.
And THEN, people started throwing pieces of the fucking FLOOR at the Melvins. Big pieces...big heavy pieces of wood!
I have never seen anything like it.
But the craziest part was that rather than seeking shelter, the Melvins kept playing, composing an impromptu song, singing "DAAAAAALASSS, THROW SHIT AT MEEEEEEE!"

They finally left the stage, and Trent came out and told the crowd that if we didn't chill the fuck out, he wouldn't play.

Was anyone else there? DigitalChaos maybe?

elevenism
03-19-2014, 04:55 AM
the one thing I can't stand is people who tend to be more of the "moderate rock" fans can't wrap their heads around the new acts. I'll never forget last month when I saw Nine Inch Nails, this dude in complete Hot Topic gear...

Sorry for the double post, but i had to jump on this. Jake, i watched boris with an open mind. I didn't fucking like it!
That doesn't mean i only listen to what corporate radio jams down my throat. I love Boards of Canada, Tricky, Squarepusher, Rasputina, Subtle, Girl Talk, Prefuse 72, FSOL, Baxter, Broadcast...i could go on all day.
And what is "hot topic gear?"
Are my 1" plugs and NIN shirt "hot topic gear?' I mean, that's where i bought my new NIN shirt.

That being said, i would NEVER scream at ANY band to get off the stage or that they "sucked." Sounds like this guy probably screamed for trent to hurry up and play "fuck you like an animal.

But sometimes, it's not that people can't wrap their heads around a band. Sometimes, they just don't fucking like it!

TheRealNs1
03-19-2014, 11:46 AM
it was boring. *shrug*

it was my first nin show, so impatience (i was 19) might've been a factor. maynard stood near the front of the stage in that thirsty wig, barely moving. i saw tool a few years later and he was (surprisingly) even less engaged, but the visuals kept my attention. apc just had (what looked like) a velvet banner/curtain. it was oddly disorienting, watching it in a huge, undersold arena, pissing my cargo shorts in anticipation.

you know, that reminds me - I did actually go to an APC show back when Thirteenth Step was released and I felt much the same way, underwhelmed. Of course, a decade later I lost my shit over APC - go figure.

cahernandez
03-19-2014, 12:24 PM

@c0f3d (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=420) ...APC...Bad?

I was disappointed with Boris. It was cool for about 10 minutes, and then started to give me a fucking headache.

i was surprised/shocked by marilyn manson. my brother and i had never heard of them...(this was in 94, mind you,) and we were expecting maybe a dark folk rock act or something. Musically, they were pretty fucking awful, but it was cool to watch in the "what in the FUCK is this" sense.

But what tops it all off for me was the melvins in 95 in dallas. No audio or video survives from this performance as far as i know. Pop Will Eat Itself was the original opener, but they didn't show for whatever reason.
This was when nin still played "fair park colliseum," (which is the place where they have the fucking dog show at the state fair.) Disney on Ice had been there a few nights before, and the ice was poorly covered with wood in the ga area.
Now, anyone who saw nin in the early nineties or watched closure knows that an NIN crowd was a violent sea of black clothing, hormones and teen angst.
It seems like the melvins played one or two songs and got booed. But then, people in the GA area started throwing things at them. HEAVY things.
And THEN, people started throwing pieces of the fucking FLOOR at the Melvins. Big pieces...big heavy pieces of wood!
But the craziest part was that rather than seeking shelter, the Melvins kept playing, composing an impromptu song, singing "DAAAAAALASSS, THROW SHIT AT MEEEEEEE!"

They finally left the stage, and Trent came out and told the crowd that if we didn't chill the fuck out, he wouldn't play.

Was anyone else there? @DigitalChaos (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=598) maybe?

That Melvins/NIN show is famous, you can hear a section from that show in their "Singles 1-12" album, the song is aptly called "Dallas". Super funny song, it shows EXACTLY the moment you're talking about, you have Buzzo saying "THROW IT THROW IT COME ON...Let's tear this place apart, let's do it! There's a lot of expensive cameras back there, come on let's tear those apart too!". It's AWESOME, listen to it, it'll bring back memories. Back in the day The Melvins were notorious for heckling hostile crowds, typically in these weird billings where the Melvins obviously didn't fit (like NIN, KISS or Megadeth). They would also play reaaally weird songs, extended guitar jams/distortions/walls of white noise, just to heckle crowds. They used to be antagonistic like this, brilliant stuff, although they don't do that anymore. I believe their live album "Colossus of Destiny" was born from that idea, weird experimentation meant to antagonize the crowd. Listen to that as well, it has Adam Jones "playing" in it.

thefragile_jake
03-19-2014, 04:46 PM
Sorry for the double post, but i had to jump on this. Jake, i watched boris with an open mind. I didn't fucking like it!
That doesn't mean i only listen to what corporate radio jams down my throat. I love Boards of Canada, Tricky, Squarepusher, Rasputina, Subtle, Girl Talk, Prefuse 72, FSOL, Baxter, Broadcast...i could go on all day.
And what is "hot topic gear?"
Are my 1" plugs and NIN shirt "hot topic gear?' I mean, that's where i bought my new NIN shirt.

That being said, i would NEVER scream at ANY band to get off the stage or that they "sucked." Sounds like this guy probably screamed for trent to hurry up and play "fuck you like an animal.

But sometimes, it's not that people can't wrap their heads around a band. Sometimes, they just don't fucking like it!

There's nothing wrong with not liking a band, not everyone is supposed to like everything. There are some indie darling bands like Tune-Yards and Dirty Projectors that people, like myself, who read Pitchfork absolutely love but I just can't get into them....same goes for bands on modern rock stations too. Everyone's tastes are different but that said, I think it all comes down to respecting a band that's opening who was clearly chosen to open for the band you came to see. I'm not indicating you should sit there, eyes wide open and watch the show...but if don't be an asshole if you're that bored.

Oh and this dude had ear about 2" ear plugs and a green and purple basketball jersey on with some metal band. I'm pretty sure he was with the family that I overheard say "What in the hell....no Closer?!" after the show was over.

In closing I guess... I always say like what you like but don't be a prick about it I suppose. Oh and Boris fuckin' rules. Next to Death Grips, they were one of my favorite live acts I saw last year.

suprefan
03-19-2014, 09:13 PM
word. i didn't get it. at all. jamaican dancehall-ish?

my experience --

the good: deerhunter, crystal castles, tvotr, qotsa, autolux, saul.

the bad: a perfect circle, bauhaus.

the hideous: the bug, carre callaway.

The Bug was Dubstep before Skrillex and everyone else got a hold of it and made it commercial if you never paid attention.

If youre going to complain, blame Trent for not being close minded. Blame his iPod, blame Spotify, blame the urge to discover.

Kid Charlemagne
03-19-2014, 09:34 PM
Worst NIN openers I've seen: Saul Williams, SSSC, Ghostland Observatory and Dresden Dolls. I really think Saul is overrated, I always have, had TR not invested largely in him, I think the majority of people on this board would not care who he is. As for DD, they were just bad, Brian is a hell of a drummer, but their music did nothing for me, especially since they were opening up on the club leg of the WT tour, I was so excited to see NIN and they almost put me to sleep. SSSC had two talented guys in Boots and Tom Morello and I was still unimpressed, it was like Diet RATM, not as bad as Audioslave, but close. GLO were fucking dreadful, pure frat boy EDM with a guy who sounds like a goddamn goat, I think they're the worst band I've probably ever seen live.

However, the arena leg with DFA 1979 and QotSA that year fucking ruled, one of the best shows I've seen, and the '06 Amp tour with Bauhaus and TV on the Radio was awesome, still cool to see TVotR before they fucking blew up with Return to Cookie Mountain. EitS were awesome, always been a huge fan of them and was glad to see them get a huge stage like that, I always thought the bigger stage the better for them. Pretty sure I'm missing some other openers I've seen with NIN, obviously looking forward to the tour in the summer.

TheRealNs1
03-19-2014, 09:36 PM
lol, SSSC is totally diet RATM.

Collin
03-19-2014, 09:57 PM
Nin's had some fantastic openers. Namely- Crystal Castles, Deerhunter, A Place To Bury Strangers, Godspeed, HEALTH, Queens Of The Stone Age, Explosions, Does It Offend You Yeah, Saul Williams etc. honestly, some of my favorite bands are in that list. (Like Castles, Deerhunter, Godspeed, Health and Queens) Compared to other big acts that I follow, NINs actually gotten some of the best openers. That being said, Boris from the LITS tour was awful and I wasn't a big fan of SSSC either.

ethan829
03-20-2014, 07:16 AM
Nin's had some fantastic openers. Namely- Crystal Castles, Deerhunter, A Place To Bury Strangers, Godspeed, HEALTH, Queens Of The Stone Age, Explosions, Does It Offend You Yeah, Saul Williams etc. honestly, some of my favorite bands are in that list. (Like Castles, Deerhunter, Godspeed, Health and Queens) Compared to other big acts that I follow, NINs actually gotten some of the best openers. That being said, Boris from the LITS tour was awful and I wasn't a big fan of SSSC either.

Weird, I would count A Place to Bury Strangers as one of the worst openers I've seen, and Boris as one of the better ones. They were just so much fun!

TheBang
03-20-2014, 07:59 AM
Swampa ZZ. Ugh, what a meathead band. Can't believe I remembered their name.

On the flip side, Pop Will Eat Itself impressed me so much (had never heard of them before) that I became a huge Poppies fan.

elevenism
03-20-2014, 08:10 AM
Swampa ZZ. Ugh, what a meathead band. Can't believe I remembered their name.

On the flip side, Pop Will Eat Itself impressed me so much (had never heard of them before) that I became a huge Poppies fan.
fucking pop will eat itself didnt make it to the dallas show in 95, but at least i got to see that crazy fucking melvins performance

elevenism
03-20-2014, 08:18 AM
There's nothing wrong with not liking a band, not everyone is supposed to like everything. There are some indie darling bands like Tune-Yards and Dirty Projectors that people, like myself, who read Pitchfork absolutely love but I just can't get into them....same goes for bands on modern rock stations too. Everyone's tastes are different but that said, I think it all comes down to respecting a band that's opening who was clearly chosen to open for the band you came to see. I'm not indicating you should sit there, eyes wide open and watch the show...but if don't be an asshole if you're that bored.

Oh and this dude had ear about 2" ear plugs and a green and purple basketball jersey on with some metal band. I'm pretty sure he was with the family that I overheard say "What in the hell....no Closer?!" after the show was over.

In closing I guess... I always say like what you like but don't be a prick about it I suppose. Oh and Boris fuckin' rules. Next to Death Grips, they were one of my favorite live acts I saw last year.

i don't wear metal shirts, but the holes in my ears aren't "hot topic gear." they are battle scars from being so heavily into the drum and bass scene in the late 90's-early 2000s.

And jesus christ, i WANTED to like Boris. I really dig the CONCept of what they do...i was stressed the fuck out from driving to amarillo to tulsa (where i had never been,) checking into a hotel, and making it to the venue with a whiny girl who was way too young for me...(that came out wrong...not ILLEGALLY young, lol...i was 27 and she was 19) panicking that we weren't gonna make it to the point that i wanted to shoot myself...or her. So by the time Boris came on, i was stressed to the max. Like i said, i LOVED it at first, i LOVED what they were doing, but it got annoying.
I like their more cohesive stuff, like some of the songs on smile, but that's not what they played. They kinda reminded me of Hella or something.
Once i move back to dallas, i'll check them out again at a small club in my comfort zone.
But if i don't like it, i'm holding YOU responsible Jake. YOU! ;)

magnolia
03-20-2014, 11:09 AM
I've only seen NIN twice live, but personally I liked both openers I got to see. I didn't have a clue who Dresdon Dolls were, but ended up really loving them. Explosions in the Sky I had know of for a long time, and I thought they were good live, but it left me feeling... I don't know, sort of sleepy. My husband, (who had seen them once before several years back), leaned over to me in the middle of the set and said "These guys were better when I was high." Or something to that effect. :)

Hadn't heard of Death Grips before the tour was announced, but I've given them a listen, and I'm looking forward to seeing them.

dvdglss
03-20-2014, 11:21 AM
Health was the WORST... dudes yelling for 3 minutes not playing an instrument was just so silly. God, just crappy crappy crappy....

DigitalChaos
03-20-2014, 01:28 PM

Was anyone else there? @DigitalChaos (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=598) maybe?

holy shit. i wish I were there.
I don't think I had even left the state of WI around 95 though. Someone link me to a recording of this!

DigitalChaos
03-20-2014, 01:29 PM
Health was the WORST... dudes yelling for 3 minutes not playing an instrument was just so silly. God, just crappy crappy crappy....
A guy who used to be on my team played with Health (or opened for them?). They have one good song.

rewt75
03-20-2014, 01:56 PM

Yep. I was there for that show. Every time someone brings up NIN openers, the first thing that pops to mind is the damn Melvins and his huge fro. What a hilarious spectacle that was.

My first NIN show was at the Bomb Factory in Dallas when Manson opened up. I will never forget the "and the rowers keep on rowing" chanting he did. I was about 18 at the time and that pretty much exploded my skull to see.

I think I've seen Pop Will Eat Itself and don't remember anything about them. I got to the show late that Prick opened up and have never forgiven myself for it. Prick's album is one of my all time favorites. I'm getting annoyed just thinking about it.

The Dresden Dolls were fine but it was mostly that I was at a great venue which was Stubb's in Austin. Someone could've played the kazoo for 45 minutes and I would've enjoyed it knowing that I was about to see TR that close up.

The rest of the openers are pretty much a blur. Street Sweeper Social Club was pretty cool.

thefragile_jake
03-20-2014, 04:04 PM
i don't wear metal shirts, but the holes in my ears aren't "hot topic gear." they are battle scars from being so heavily into the drum and bass scene in the late 90's-early 2000s.

And jesus christ, i WANTED to like Boris. I really dig the CONCept of what they do...i was stressed the fuck out from driving to amarillo to tulsa (where i had never been,) checking into a hotel, and making it to the venue with a whiny girl who was way too young for me...(that came out wrong...not ILLEGALLY young, lol...i was 27 and she was 19) panicking that we weren't gonna make it to the point that i wanted to shoot myself...or her. So by the time Boris came on, i was stressed to the max. Like i said, i LOVED it at first, i LOVED what they were doing, but it got annoying.
I like their more cohesive stuff, like some of the songs on smile, but that's not what they played. They kinda reminded me of Hella or something.
Once i move back to dallas, i'll check them out again at a small club in my comfort zone.
But if i don't like it, i'm holding YOU responsible Jake. YOU! ;)

Boris is just all over the place, I think that's what I like about them so much. Their best record by far is PINK but they'll go from releasing doom metal to j-pop in the blink of an eye. They're very much like how I like the Flaming Lips in the fact they just put out what they think is interesting in their heads musically at the time and don't cater to popular opinion on how they should sound. They just have a very naturally progressive sound with each record. I think Boris fits better in a small club which makes their sound and the experience of seeing them so much more personal...I did hear good things with my friends in Columbia, Missouri who saw them open for the Lights in the Sky tour 2008.

AND NO PLZ DON'T BLAME ME!!! ;)

A guy who used to be on my team played with Health (or opened for them?). They have one good song.

I got to say, I disagree with both of you. Not only was Health was one of the best live bands I've seen in the last couple of years but I really, really enjoy their records. I honestly think the only band that ever really bored me that opened for Nine Inch Nails was Street Sweeper Social Club.

madeale
03-22-2014, 08:38 PM
guys,

is there a place where I can see all the opening bands divided per tour?

thanks!

sheepdean
03-22-2014, 08:46 PM
guys,

is there a place where I can see all the opening bands divided per tour?

thanks!You know, there really should be. You can check the tour pages on ninwiki which will list them, but afaik there isn't a masterpost.

madeale
03-22-2014, 08:52 PM
thanks. yes, I checked some of them in ninwiki, but there isn't a masterpost indeed.

well, maybe someone is going to do it.

TheRealNs1
03-24-2014, 06:56 PM
well, I can confirm death grips does nothing for me. Somewhere inbetween SSSC x The Bug

screwdriver
03-24-2014, 07:09 PM
thanks. yes, I checked some of them in ninwiki, but there isn't a masterpost indeed.

well, maybe someone is going to do it.

I think you just nominated yourself!

ryanj101
03-28-2014, 08:24 AM
I am reasonably certain that Soundgarden is going to be the first opening act (yeah, I know, they aren't necessarily an "opening act") that I have seen with NIN that I am looking forward to/will enjoy since APC on the Fragile tour. Although, not my cup of tea generally, I did like the War Pigs cover that Dresden Dolls did when they opened for NIN on the comeback club tour.

KingDeathMachine
03-29-2014, 11:24 AM
Severely underappreciated (unknown?) band that opened for NIN back in the 90s: GROTUS. I'm too lazy to link you, but go YouTube "Grotus: Slow Motion Apocalypse" and listen to the full album. I think most of you will really like it. They made two albums and split in '97 lol.

Scramasax
04-14-2014, 08:37 AM
I had been excited to see Jane's Addition on the NINJA UK tour, (I know they were co-head liners but they came on before NIN) but goddamn did they put on the most boring performance! Hardly anything from the 'Nothing's Shocking' which I was so looking forward to hearing. I did not care forRitual de lo Habitual or anything post 'Nothing's Shocking' and being performed live did not bring anything new or interesting to the songs for me.

When they played Belfast last year they were supported by 'And So I Watch You From Afar' who again, I was looking forward to seeing since I'd heard 2 of their tracks before and liked them. But they were utterly woeful. No charisma what-so-ever and every track was an instrumental. Now, as an NIN fan, I have no problem, with instrumentals, in fact I love them. But with a lack of singing, they need to really fall back on their arrangement and musical content as well as notably different from the other instrumentals. For example, when Ghosts 20 goes into Ghost 21, you KNOW the track has changed. ASIWYFA's tracks did not do that. I heard the same guitar rift in at least three different 'songs' and there was no unique bass line or drum beat to off-set it. they were just so utterly dull.

I don't know any of Cold Cave's music so I can't comment but I am gutted that the UK misses out on both QOTSA and Soundgarden come this tour.

Charmingly Miserable
05-18-2014, 10:45 PM
As I'm listening to Die Antwoord, I think they could work as an opener.