My top films of the year so far :

Jane Eyre
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
Tomboy
A Dangerous Method
Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Michalrose
12-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Drive was very good. My friend screamed through the violent parts, sort of embarrassing. Hope Ryan Gosling is recognized for his role.
I haven't seen Tree of Life or HP Deathly Hallows 2 yet. Both are On demand. Hope to watch one this week.

xmd 5a
12-01-2011, 04:54 PM
The only good films I've seen from this year are Moneyball and Harry Potter 7-2. Really really want to see The Tree of Life and Jane Eyre.

REPLICA
12-01-2011, 05:09 PM
I really enjoyed both Harry Potter and Moneyball but I saw a limited release called Another Earth, I thought it was great.

richardp
12-01-2011, 06:32 PM
So far, the two best films I've seen all year are Drive and Hugo. Both of which heavily deserve Best Picture noms in my book.

There are still a few more films I want to see, though, before I sit down and create a definite Best Of 2011 list.

thevoid99
12-01-2011, 07:17 PM
So far...

1. The Tree of Life
2. Drive
3. Melancholia
4. Midnight in Paris
5. Hugo
6. The Skin I Live In
7. 50/50
8. Moneyball
9. George Harrison: Living in the Material World
10. Pearl Jam Twenty

There's still a lot of stuff I want to see. I'll be pissed if Terrence Malick doesn't get a Best Director Oscar nod.

Morad
12-02-2011, 02:48 AM
1. The Tree of Life
2. Shame
3. Take Shelter
4. Midnight in Paris
5. Drive
6. Moneyball
7. We Need to Talk About Kevin

I really hope Michael Fassbender gets an Oscar nomination for Shame. I saw it when it first premiered at TIFF and watched it again tonight, and it's one of the most harrowing movies I have ever seen. Fassbender's performance is incredible.

I have yet to watch Beginners, but it looks great and it's also been winning a lot of awards recently. Very excited for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Carnage too. Definite Oscar contenders, both of them.

I really recommend Take Shelter if anybody hasn't seen it yet. It's unbelievably good.

Emil Dorbell
12-02-2011, 06:02 AM
Definitely Drive and Melancholia, the latter being the stronger contender in my book.

bobbie solo
12-03-2011, 01:58 AM
yeah Shame is supposed to be no joke. very excited to see it.

Melancholia was surprisingly very good. I went it pretty skeptical bc Antichrist was alot of hype and ended up being ridiuclous to me. Melacholia was shot beautifully, Dunst is very good, and the story was interesting.

REALLY wanna see Rampart, Mary Marcy whatever, that Storm movie with Michael Shannon, Dragon Tattoo of course, that documentary about the Limelight club, and Moneyball.

richardp
12-03-2011, 10:39 AM
I really recommend Take Shelter if anybody hasn't seen it yet. It's unbelievably good.

Oh yeah that was a great film. The scene at the end inside the shelter was powerful stuff. Michael Shannon hit it out of the park in this role. I also really loved the subtle explanation for the "oil rain" on the beach at the very end. Took me a second to figure it out, but once I got it was floored. Great great film that will sadly probably be massively overlooked by the Academy.

onthewall2983
12-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Big hopes for Drive to win it all, but at most I'm realistically expecting Albert Brooks to win best supporting actor.

sheepdean
12-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy was a fucking amazing film, brilliant casting too. I hope it at least gets a nom

PooPooMeowChow
12-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Drive is the only good movie I've seen this year.
To me, it's been a rather shit year for movies but fuck does Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy ever look good.

littlemonkey613
12-08-2011, 05:02 AM
Yeah We Need To Talk About Kevin just skyrocketed to the top of my list. I cannot even.

richardp
12-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Just watched Melancholia. While the first part was awfully tedious at times, and felt really disconnected from the second half of the film, I think Kirsten Dunst was amazing and would like to see her get a Best Actress nom.

thevoid99
01-01-2012, 06:44 PM
I just posted an unofficial list of the best films of 2011 (http://thevoid99.blogspot.com/2012/01/unofficial-best-films-of-2011.html). There's still a bunch of films I want to see as I want to go for 50.

aggroculture
01-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Best:
Drive
The Help
Source Code
Cowboys and Aliens (yeah I loved it)
Another Earth (enjoyed this a lot more than Melancholia)
The Mill and the Cross (brilliant film about a Brueghel painting with Rutger Hauer)
The Black Power Mixtape (I liked this but it was a bit too long)

Worst:
Sucker Punch
The Tree of Life
Melancholia
Shame
A Dangerous Method
Captain America
The Other F Word

Good, but not great:
Red State
Limitless

So-so/disappointing:
The Descendants
Midnight in Paris
Contagion
Hanna
Super 8 (what a bunch of pointless hype)
Sleeping Beauty (Breillat)
I Saw the Devil (I love me some Oldboy but this was awful)
The Adjustment Bureau (Philip K Dick is turning in his grave)

Will not see:
Moneyball (saw the trailer and this looks sooo unappealing)
Bridesmaids (ditto)
Carnage (Polanski just fuck off already)
Tintin / Warhorse

Want to see:
The Artist
The Iron Lady

Delusional
01-01-2012, 10:16 PM
I just watched Martha Marcy May Marlene (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441326/) last night, why am I the first to bring it up in here? I haven't seen a lot of movies this year so I can't really make a best of list but this was extremely well shot with amazing performances, all around a very powerful film.

bobbie solo
01-01-2012, 10:48 PM
aggroculture trollin hard

littlemonkey613
01-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Changed my list to:

HP part 2
Another Earth
We Need to Talk about Kevin
Dragon Tattoo
Jane Eyre
The Artist

In no particular order.

Honorable mentions.

Drive
Crazy Stupid Love

Self.Destructive.Pattern
01-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Drive and 50/50 I would like to see get some recognition. Melncholia was oook. The first half of the film was pretty pretentious, but it was shot beautifully. The second half of the film was very good and very dark. You can really feel that the world was ending for these people.

Drive all the way though. So original and amazingly shot.

Pemulis
01-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Surprised to see no mention of Warrior or Submarine. Definitely two of my favorite this year. Probably not Oscar contenders but I enjoyed them a lot more than some movies that probably will be.

Also enjoyed Meloncholia, Drive, 50/50, Crazy Stupid Love, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Midnight in Paris, Super 8, We Need to Talk About Kevin, Contagion, Bridesmaids, Moneyball. Still need to see Shame, A Dangerous Method, Hugo, Take Shelter, The Tree of Life, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and Martha Marcy May Marlene.

onthewall2983
01-05-2012, 10:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8BPP4ASQWo

If The Trip was like this for the entire movie (and from what I understand, there was more of it in the mini-series), it would have dethrone Drive ​easily.

Jadezuki
01-05-2012, 10:33 AM
....Am I the only person who really liked X-Men: First Class? I know the chances of an Oscar nom are about nil, but I thought McAvoy and Fassbender turned in some nice performances.

Jadezuki
01-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Double-post: In case you need your memory jogged, here's a nicely edited 2011 Portfolio (and I think you'll recognize the first few songs):
http://youtu.be/g_p3qroDp-M

Vertigo
01-05-2012, 11:30 AM
....Am I the only person who really liked X-Men: First Class? I know the chances of an Oscar nom are about nil, but I thought McAvoy and Fassbender turned in some nice performances.

Hah, I thought I was the only one who didn't like it. I'll certainly agree that the acting was strong though.

Jadezuki
01-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Hanna was a nice surprise, and the lead was strong in my opinion.

frankie teardrop
01-05-2012, 11:53 AM
not oscar fodder either, but i thoroughly enjoyed the muppets... otherwise, been trying to make time for a dangerous method and melancholia...but it likely won't happen for a bit.

butters
01-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy last night and, while it was definitely one of the better films of 2011, I was left a tiny bit let down. I haven't read the book, but I honestly don't think that should be a requirement to gain character development, the movie should offer that as well. This is where it falters a bit. The film really lost the viewer on "who's who" and "who are they talking about again?" since no one, aside from Smiley, was ever really established and there are so many characters. As a viewer, playing catch-up makes you miss more and therefore play catch-up again. It's an intricate story (and I loved how it came together like a puzzle as the stories were revealed,) great acting, and overall one of the better films of the year... but not the best.

Reminded me A LOT of DeNiro's The Good Shepherd - came out very confused on the first viewing, probably make more sense some year down the road when I watch it again.

Btw, if like me you're unfamiliar with the novel - don't let the trailers fool you into thinking this is a intense thriller pacing-wise, it's very slow and deliberate. Not a complaint on my part, just a misleading trailer.

Collin
01-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Okay guys, Oscar nominations are officially being posted tomorrow morn'. Any nomination predictions?

thevoid99
01-23-2012, 10:25 PM
After seeing The Artist on Saturday, I'm pretty much convinced that it's going to win Best Picture although I want The Tree of Life to win that award.

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
01-23-2012, 11:17 PM
Saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy last night... I haven't read the book, but I honestly don't think that should be a requirement to gain character development, the movie should offer that as well.
Obviously you shouldn't have to read a book to understand a movie, you're absolutely right.

That being said, and aside from the issues with the current film, I very highly recommend both the book and the 1979 BBC television adaptation starring Alec Guinness. They're both great, great work.

richardp
01-24-2012, 12:35 AM
I saw Shame last night, and shit, that movie deserves Oscar noms left and right.

Collin
01-24-2012, 12:42 AM
Alright, I'll post my nominations predictions. These aren't the films I necessarily liked this year, but just films that I feel the academy will likely pick. (they can be a bit predictable sometimes.)

Best Pic:

Obvious Choices:

The Artist
The Descendents

Very Likely:

Hugo
Midnight In Paris
Moneyball
The Help

50/50 Chance:

War Horse
Tree of Life

What I would want, but not extremely likely (but has a chance):

Drive
Dragon Tattoo
Tinker Tailor Solider Spy
Shame (probably not due to content, which sucks, but the academy can be like that sometimes. dicks.)
Melancholia

They said they're picking something between 5 and 10 best pic choices, which makes it hard to make an exact list. but i'll just assume they're gonna do a full ten again, here's my final list of picks-

The Artist
The Descendents
Hugo
Moneyball
Midnight In Paris
The Help
War Horse
The Tree of Life
Drive (maybe a little biased cuz I love it, but come on, the academy has to recognize something about this.)

Best Director:

Locks-

Alexender Payne- The Descendents
Martin Scorsese- Hugo
Michel Hazanavicius- The Artist

toss between-

Terence Malick- Tree of Life
Spielberg- War Horse
Allen- Midnight In Paris
Whoever the fuck directed The Help (meh)

hope that Refn gets one for Drive, but idk about the oscars sometimes.

I'll also do Best Actor and Actress while I'm at it.

Best Actor:

George Clooney- The Descendents
Micheal Fassbender- Shame
Jean Dujardin- The Artist
Brad Pitt- Moneyball

for Num 5, it's a toss up between

Oldman- TTSS
Gosling- Drive or Ides of March
Wilson- Midnight in Paris

Actress:

Michelle Williams- My Week With Marilyn
Viola Davis- The Help
Rooney Mara- The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Meryl Streep- The Iron Lady
Tilda Swinton- We Need To Talk About Kevin

We'll see!

richardp
01-24-2012, 12:48 AM
Drive will unfortunately get snubbed so hard. Just like at the globes, the only nomination, if it gets anything will be Albert Brooks. I think that hands down if Nicolas Winding-Refn deserves best director. But if Oscar politics are going to get in the way, which they will, it should go to Scorsese.

I think Best Pic will be:

The Descendents
The Artist
The Help
The Tree Of The Life
The Warhorse
The Midnight In Paris
The Moneyball
The Hugo

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
01-24-2012, 03:05 AM
Wholeheartedly agree on 'Shame'. Flawed, but so very, very good. So good.

Alexandros
01-24-2012, 03:59 AM
I really don't get the enormous love for "The Artist". Don't get me wrong, it was good and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I'm getting the vibe that its impact is completely overestimated. Is it Hollywood wallowing on nostalgia?

Vertigo
01-24-2012, 06:51 AM
I really don't get the enormous love for "The Artist". Don't get me wrong, it was good and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I'm getting the vibe that its impact is completely overestimated. Is it Hollywood wallowing on nostalgia?

Yes. Although personally I didn't enjoy it at all - there was no flair or dynamism in the cinematography and direction, so it didn't feel like there was anything compensating for the lack of sound. Silent movies from the actual period tended to be very fast-paced and dynamic from what I've seen, and unfortunately this was the critical period element that Hanavicius failed to utilise. A couple of ingenious sequences (ironically the ones which involved sound), but I generally thought it was a disappointment.
The celebration of golden age Hollywood by a foreign country is obvious Oscar-bait, though - with Weinstein backing and an American supporting cast it's an awards juggernaut.

onthewall2983
01-24-2012, 08:00 AM
Nominations (http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/oscars/2012-oscar-nominees-list-215122612.html). It shouldn't be a shock, but am a little outraged Drive ​didn't get a single one.

Correction. Nominated for sound editing.

dpeters
01-24-2012, 08:16 AM
The idea that Drive didn't get a nomination for Cinematography (when it has great composition in virtually all of them) kind of makes me think the name of the game is politics--not necessarily artistic quality.

I would also contend that Gosling minimalist portrayal had more characterization without any dialogue than most of the nominees had with leather-chewing scenes where they could easily emote anger.

Highly Psychological
01-24-2012, 10:12 AM
I want Gary Oldman to win an Oscar, out of principle, despite the fact i found Tinker Tailor very very very boring, may have fell asleep. Gary Was good, but *I find it unbelievable he has never had a nomination.

richardp
01-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Not just the fact that Drive got snubbed for everything, but that Shame got snubbed for everything too, as well as Trent Reznor getting snubbed for two mediocre John Williams scores (I mean, seriously? Fucking TINTIN?!) just proves that The Academy is doing nothing, this year, to hide the fact that they are a bunch of 80 year old dudes.

This is probably the first year, where I couldn't give a fuck less who wins most of the categories. Just give it all to Scorsese and Malick.

butters
01-24-2012, 11:19 AM
As a big Oscar-fan, I admit I am pretty disappointed for the lack of balls in the noms this year. Anything for Shame or Drive would have been nice. Tilda for We Ned to Talk About Kevin. Dunst (who I actually can't stand) would've also been a good nom for Melancholia. TR & Atticus for best score (I don't think it's a winning score like last year, but they are the current winners.) Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close is a safe/throwaway pick, like that Bullock movie last year. So is War Horse actually.

That said, I think it's great to see the guy from A Better Life nominated. Oldman too. (Finally!) I'm surprised as shit (pleasantly surprised!) to see Jonah Hill nominated for Moneyball. NEVER thought I'd see that day and he was excellent. Happy for the writer/director of Margin Call to get a screenplay nom, since the script was tight and well executed.

Happy to see Footnote and In Darkness nominated in foreign language, even though A Separation will win.

Is this Pixar's first non-appearance? Makes sense this year.

littlemonkey613
01-24-2012, 11:30 AM
The best picture list is horrible. Can't believe all the snubs.

aggroculture
01-24-2012, 11:53 AM
I guess I would be rooting for The Help then, if I had any respect for the Oscars.

dlb
01-24-2012, 12:03 PM
I honestly don't get the fuzz about the Artist. Having sat through two seminars about silent movies at university I don't see anything which hasn't been on the big screen before. Is it because people are surprised how watchable movies like that still are today? Or that someone got the balls to do a movie like that and even put John Goodman in it? I seriously don't get it. It's good, good actors and all and I thought it was very entertaining, but...

And while TR&AC's score didn't click with me (just like the whole movie) it's still sad to see fucking Tintin nominated over Dragon Tattoo. 3 hours of music is a lot to digest and the score is very hit and miss IMHO, but sonically I was blown away by just the 3 trailers and how well they did go with the images. During the actual film I'm not sure, but I think it would have deserved a nod at least. No win, but a honorable mention, especially with these other quite mediocre scores being nominated.

butters
01-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Is it because [A] people are surprised how watchable movies like that still are today? Or that [B] someone got the balls to do a movie like that and even put John Goodman in it?

I enjoyed it, but I think it's "B" for most people. (I think Vertigo, a few posts above, nailed it on how I feel about it too.)

thevoid99
01-24-2012, 12:50 PM
The snubs are horrible this year. No nods for Shame, Melancholia, and We Need to Talk About Kevin and yet, 2 stupid nominations for that Oscar-bait bullshit in Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close. BOO!!!! At least, not surprising, Chivo got a Cinematography nod for The Tree of Life. Yet, I was hoping that film got a whole lot more for visual effects, editing, sound, and art direction. Drive got a sound editing nomination but that's it? Fucking lame. No Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Michael Shannon, Michael Fassbender, Michael Fassbender's penis, Albert Brooks, Tilda Swinton, Michael Fassbender's penis, Kirsten Dunst, Charlize Theron, Patton Oswalt, and Michael Fassbender's penis makes me sad and angry. No nod for Trent & Atticus and 2 nominations for John Williams. This list blows!

NIN64
01-24-2012, 12:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4p1ArxUS6w

butters
01-24-2012, 02:05 PM
The snubs are horrible this year. No nods for Shame, Melancholia, and We Need to Talk About Kevin and yet, 2 stupid nominations for that Oscar-bait bullshit in Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close. BOO!!!! At least, not surprising, Chivo got a Cinematography nod for The Tree of Life. Yet, I was hoping that film got a whole lot more for visual effects, editing, sound, and art direction. Drive got a sound editing nomination but that's it? Fucking lame. No Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Michael Shannon, Michael Fassbender, Michael Fassbender's penis, Albert Brooks, Tilda Swinton, Michael Fassbender's penis, Kirsten Dunst, Charlize Theron, Patton Oswalt, and Michael Fassbender's penis makes me sad and angry. No nod for Trent & Atticus and 2 nominations for John Williams. This list blows!

Yes you're correct, I would definitely add to my "lack of balls in the nominations" list a few posts above: Michael Shannon for Take Shelter, Charlize and the surprising performance by Oswalt for Young Adult. I think you may be forgetting about Fassbender's penis....

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
01-24-2012, 03:38 PM
I hope Malick sweeps because this year's noms are atrocious.

marodi
01-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Oscars 2012: 16 Snubs that Bug You (http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20311937_20564220,00.html#21110263)

The "you" being the readers of EW. Still, I think they have it nailed down pretty good. Off that list, the 2 names I find myself the most bummed about are Alan Rickman and Andy Serkis. Although the quality of the Harry Potter movies greatly varied from one to the other, Rickman was always excellent and his work should have been recognized with at least a nomination. Same with Serkis who is something of a pioneer in his field. There should be (eventually) a category for his line of work.

There's also should to be a category for Michael Fassbender's penis, the biggest snub of them all.

edit: The biggest laugh of all is in the original score category, with the nomination of Tintin. Come on, where the heck did that come from?

richardp
01-24-2012, 10:54 PM
The biggest laugh of all is in the original score category, with the nomination of Tintin. Come on, where the heck did that come from?

I agree completely. It was the most basic, run of the mill, phoned in, soundtrack to a kids movie. Don't get me wrong, Tintin was a great movie, but the score had absolutely NOTHING special, nor original about it. Not to sound like a fanboy, but there is no reason that Tintin's score should have been nominated over Dragon Tattoo's score.

butters
01-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Oscars 2012: 16 Snubs that Bug You (http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20311937_20564220,00.html#21110263)

Hey! At least one person said that there was a snub for Trent Reznor and Atticus......... Finch :(

marodi
01-30-2012, 06:50 PM
They wuz robbed (http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2012/01/they_wuz_robbed.html) by Roger Ebert.

A very interesting read.

allegro
01-30-2012, 07:55 PM
just proves that The Academy is a bunch of 80 year old dudes

Um ... we seem to go through this "What is the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and Who are the Members?" discussion every year on ETS because people have NO idea:

http://www.oscars.org/academy/members/members.html

The people who nominated best score? PEOPLE WHO WRITE MUSIC. PEERS. TRENT REZNOR IS A MEMBER OF THE ACADEMY! HE NOMINATES AND VOTES!

This ain't the Grammies.

That being said, sometimes the Oscars do really weird shit that nobody can explain. It is assumed that everybody is drinking heavily while sending in nominations.

They wuz robbed (http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2012/01/they_wuz_robbed.html) by Roger Ebert.

A very interesting read.
BRAVO!

marodi
02-26-2012, 10:58 PM
Am I the only one who watched it? Really?

Okay, it was quite boring and many jokes fell flat. But the Cirque du Soleil number was excellent and I loved the RDJ/Paltrow presentation number. No real surprises about the winners though. I am very very happy for The Artist and for Christopher Plummer; it's about time his talent is recognized!

Also: FREAKIN FIGWIT WON AN OSCAR! How AWESOME is that?

thevoid99
02-26-2012, 11:51 PM
I liked Billy Crystal but why did they put fucking Justin Bieber in the opening skit? That was terrible. Some of the jokes weren't great and I found some of it to be predictable though I'm still not happy that Chivo lost the Cinematography Oscar prize, again. Next year's Oscars, we need some surprises.

Deadpool
02-27-2012, 12:01 AM
I watched most of it and sincerely enjoyed it. Nice to see Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall take home Oscars for Editing on Dragon Tattoo - I wasn't expecting that, and neither were they (very awkward acceptance speech!), but I'm very happy for them and I think they deserved it in a very competitive/talented category. Would've been cool to see Rooney Mara win, but the only person who seemed bummed by the loss was Michelle Williams who I love. Great to see James Earl Jones get an Honorary award as well, he's so amazing. RDJ's bit with Paltrow was funny.

Overall, it seemed like a more streamlined Oscars than past years - no overblown dance numbers, or super extended introductions/patters. It obviously sucks that Drive and others got screwed, but the only thing I'm still a little frustrated by was the lack of Fincher recognition. How long did it take for Scorsese to get an Oscar again? I have a feeling the same thing's gonna happen with Mr. Fincher.

Vertigo
02-27-2012, 03:49 AM
The only thing I'm still a little frustrated by was the lack of Fincher recognition. How long did it take for Scorsese to get an Oscar again? I have a feeling the same thing's gonna happen with Mr. Fincher.

Nah. There's no schmaltz or reverence in Fincher's work; he may be one of the finest artists in the medium but I have a hard time seeing him ever appealing to the octogenarian Oscar votership. Then again, I suppose until the 2000s when his work became a little lighter and mainstream, you could have said the same about Scorsese.

Just throwing this out there, am I the only person in the world who thought The Artist was utterly unworthy in all but the acting and music categories?

icklekitty
02-27-2012, 05:01 AM
Screenplay for The Artist: http://issuu.com/cinemoi/docs/the-artist

Lutz
02-27-2012, 05:20 AM
Who were all those nobodies on the red carpet?

Also. STUNNING...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/d_g_m/nicole-kidman-oscars.jpg

Lutz
02-27-2012, 05:29 AM
And totally disappointed Werner Herzog wasn't there to bitch slap that cunt Wim Wenders.

allegro
02-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Am I the only one who watched it? Really?
I've only missed an Oscars night once in my life, when I had a night class back when they telecast it on weeknights.

Christopher Plummer; it's about time his talent is recognized!
Amen, sister!!

I wish they'd completely shitcan all that schmaltzy presenter schtick, it's so stupid.

RocketScience
02-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Christoher Plummer seems like the sweetest most genuine old hollywood geezer around. I saw his speech for the Golden Globes and it was probably one of the most humble speeches I've ever heard and the oscar speech was no different. Total class act.

butters
02-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Not a terrible ceremony even if the winners were almost as predictable as the nominations. Dean fuckin' Pelton has an Oscar... absolutely awesome.

The Indie Spirit Awards the night before were ten times better, though thats's probably because they recognized better films.

elementroejoy
03-01-2012, 11:00 AM
I thought Hugo was a pretty good movie but in NO way deserved all the technical awards it won. Best Visual Effects?! Over ALL of those other nominees? Thats insane.

These oscars felt like "hmm, not much out there, i guess we could nominate this..." even though there were good movies for sure, a lot of it felt forced. Not that it would be the first time for the oscars.

orestes
03-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Watched Hugo last night and honestly, until it got to Papa Georges' story, I found it rather boring. And what is with all the English accents in a movie set in Paris?

botley
03-01-2012, 12:21 PM
The British accent is Hollywood code for "not American, but non-threatening, and intelligible".

butters
03-01-2012, 03:12 PM
These oscars felt like "hmm, not much out there, i guess we could nominate this..." even though there were good movies for sure, a lot of it felt forced. Not that it would be the first time for the oscars.

I thought 2011 was a very strong year for film, maybe the best since (the AMAZING) 2007. Mind you, I'm not necessarily talking about the Oscar recognitions, just the year-in-film in general. I do agree the nominations were meh.

Watched Hugo last night and honestly, until it got to Papa Georges' story, I found it rather boring.

I was surprised by this film and sorta enjoyed it, but it did have a serious identity crisis. The best part of it was Georges' story, but for a "kid's movie," I'd assume they could give a shit about Georges. It was kinda weird in that regard.

orestes
03-01-2012, 06:15 PM
The British accent is Hollywood code for "not American, but non-threatening, and intelligible".

Ha, yes! Just like in Prince of Persia.

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
03-01-2012, 07:11 PM
The best part of it was Georges' story, but for a "kid's movie," I'd assume they could give a shit about Georges. It was kinda weird in that regard.
I think this is because Hugo is fundamentally not a movie meant for kids in the common understanding of a "kid's movie", but one dressed with that descriptor primarily by a studio finding difficulty with how to market the project.

On the other hand, I think Scorsese would very much like to consider it a movie for kids, in that he sought somehow to convey the sense of wonder and magic of the cinema, and he wishes for younger audiences to see this and be excited in a way very much like the young Martin.

Vertigo
03-01-2012, 11:06 PM
On the other hand, I think Scorsese would very much like to consider it a movie for kids, in that he sought somehow to convey the sense of wonder and magic of the cinema, and he wishes for younger audiences to see this and be excited in a way very much like the young Martin.

Having not seen the film, this is something I can't understand. Isn't it just about a couple of kids fucking around in a train station? Where's the 'wonder of cinema' element?

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
03-02-2012, 04:22 AM
Nah, that's not what it's about. You should check it out—it was released on DVD and Blu-Ray this past week.