PDA

View Full Version : lady gaga

kel
12-01-2011, 03:18 PM
even the snobbiest hipster and the grimiest goth can find something to like. the last thread was a favorite and kept me up-to-date with all things gaga.

remix album out, dvd out, grammy nominations, talk of an upcoming tour, and a fucking thanksgiving special. lots to talk about.

*edit: the 'marry the night' vid is debuting tonight, too.

Space Suicide
12-01-2011, 07:15 PM
I love that song, my fave from Born This Way. I watched the Thanksgiving Special too, pretty neat.

slave2thewage
12-02-2011, 07:17 AM
That video was WEIRD. I want Scheisse to be the next single.

lady weetly
12-02-2011, 09:30 AM
I really liked the new video. It's been a while since we've had a super weird video and it was great. I don't even want to think about her announcing tour dates soon because I know I can't afford a ticket. Also, I loved the thanksgiving special. It was really cute.

kel
12-02-2011, 10:21 AM
i LOVED the thxgiving special. it was sooo sweet. anyone have the hbo special dvd? or the new deluxe-ish version of the album? i really want one of those flash drives in the shape of her on that chopper.

*edit: i watched the full-length vid. i thought it was BRILLIANT. tick tock 'til she starts doing movies. hope she picks the right scripts.

Lutz
12-02-2011, 08:00 PM
I thought the video would have been better without the prologue which I found super annoying. Anyway Marry The Night continues the release of tracks I deleted off this album as singles.

I pre ordered the Lady Gaga X Terry Richardson book but it hasn't come in the mail yet.

Tea
12-02-2011, 08:19 PM
I don't think any of her other videos have so many awkward moments.

Space Suicide
12-02-2011, 08:51 PM
I pre ordered the Lady Gaga X Terry Richardson book but it hasn't come in the mail yet.

I browsed through it at Barnes & Noble. There's like 15 or so photos of her eating spaghetti at various times and locations. Girl loves her spaghetti.

bobbie solo
12-03-2011, 03:07 AM
i think it would be better for her to NOT tour for a while. she seems like she does WAY too much. relax for a while, why rush it? not like she doesnt have a gazillion dollars already.

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
12-03-2011, 04:05 AM
I would imagine the drive to work and create is likely more important to her than either the money or the opportunity for leisure time.

kel
12-27-2011, 05:49 PM
http://soundcloud.com/stuckonfuckinyou/lady-gaga-stuck-on-fuckin-you

i love it. the obvious criticism will be on the vocals. read the back story -- she was (happily) "wasted" during the one-take recording and wanted to give this away as a snapshot into her life at that time. ask celine dion to sing 'my heart will go on' after a fifth of stoli. a super unexpected born this way b-side.

and i fucking love the single's cover pic. perfect match.

aggroculture
12-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Lady Gaga earned $90 million in 2011 and never mentioned Occupy Wall Street. :( Am disappointed. Even Miley Cyrus made a pro-OWS vid.

kel
12-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Lady Gaga earned $90 million in 2011 and never mentioned Occupy Wall Street. :( Am disappointed. Even Miley Cyrus made a pro-OWS vid.
so you like the new song, killjoy?

slave2thewage
01-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Talk of the next album already.

Silly Stefani.

aggroculture
01-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Kissing Bloomberg...I thought Gaga was supposed to be one of the good guys, not a lackey for the 1%.
I refuse to listen to her new song: occupy Gaga!

slave2thewage
02-09-2012, 09:33 AM
First tour dates are out
April 27 Seoul, South Korea Olympic Stadium On sale tbc
May 2 Hong Kong Asia World Arena On sale Feb 27
May 10 Tokyo, Japan Saitama Super Arena On sale Mar 11
May 28 Singapore Indoor Stadium On sale tbc
Jun 7 Auckland, New Zealand Vector Arena On sale Feb 17
Jun 13 Brisbane, Australia Brisbane Entertainment Centre On sale Feb 17
Jun 20 Sydney, Australia Allphones Arena On sale Feb 17
Jun 21 Sydney, Australia Allphones Arena On sale Feb 17
Jun 27 Melbourne, Australia Rod Laver Arena On sale Feb 17
Jun 28 Melbourne, Australia Rod Laver Arena On sale Feb 17
Jul 7 Perth, Australia Burswood Dome On sale Feb 17

According to Billboard, the Born This Way Ball will have these legs:
Asia/Australia: See above
Europe: August/September
Latin America: "end of year"
North America: January-March 2013

Lutz
02-09-2012, 10:49 PM
Lady Gaga opens up about her bulimia.

Oh she's just like real people.

Space Suicide
02-10-2012, 12:47 AM
Lady Gaga opens up about her bulimia.

Oh she's just like real people.

Sarcastic?

bobbie solo
02-11-2012, 06:15 PM
not much of a fan, but she really needs to relax for a year or so and just enjoy her success. her workaholic tendencies are gonna kill her.

DVYDRNS
02-14-2012, 07:21 PM
Lady Gaga is a puppet of the 1%. do you really think she's going to "bite the hand that feeds" her.. as it were?

Her video's are rife with Freemason and Illuminati symbolism. She's a creation of the people that occupy stands against.

Lutz
02-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Lady Gaga is a puppet of the 1%. do you really think she's going to "bite the hand that feeds" her.. as it were?

Her video's are rife with Freemason and Illuminati symbolism. She's a creation of the people that occupy stands against.

Yeah no, it's already been established that Lady Gaga doesn't have a dick.

kel
08-19-2013, 06:46 PM
"applause."

discuss.

slave2thewage
08-19-2013, 07:09 PM
Sounds like an album filler track tbh. The video's good.

Space Suicide
08-19-2013, 07:09 PM
The vocal delivery is awkward and I don't know how I feel about it. The song is all right. Color by numbers GaGa by now.

kel
08-19-2013, 10:29 PM
i get it, but i like the track. will it be a hit? no. at least not in the states.

allegro
08-19-2013, 10:46 PM
I like the video and I like her new hair.

orestes
08-19-2013, 10:59 PM
I swear, I've seen more photos of Lady Gaga's side boob in the past week alone.

thevoid99
08-20-2013, 12:08 AM
I kinda like the song. My mom though will love it. She's become a big Lady Gaga fan.

Highly Psychological
08-20-2013, 04:59 AM
Madonna always had an arsenal of really good pop songs, with the exception of Poker Face im not hearing much in GaGa's music.
With the sudden wave of mind blowing pop, her music does not stand out at all. Thought her wacky fashion was funny a few years ago but i dont know how long people will find that funny for.

martin_b
08-20-2013, 05:00 AM
I like the way that Cartman has covered Lady Gaga's "Poker Face". It was so cool as the original version is. :-)

tony.parente
08-20-2013, 10:40 AM
EDIT: This decade old post was a trash take from a trash person. Disregard.

kel
08-20-2013, 11:01 PM
I wish someone would launch this phony, homosexual community exploiting pimple on the ass of the music industry into the fucking sun already.

i love her, too.

ambergris
10-22-2013, 05:10 AM
If I really want it, I can go to her "ARTPOP" presentation here in Berlin. But I am not 100% sure if she's "still got it" or if she's over. I am feeling giddy though.

slave2thewage
11-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Drip-pop.

Better than I thought it would be. Gypsy is my jam.

nemesiswontdie
11-02-2013, 03:19 PM
3 years ago, I actually got the chance to meet Lady Gaga...at a trucker gas station in the middle of nowhere in Kansas.

One night me and friend went to go get McDonalds and the closest one was in the middle of nowhere and after getting there, we saw a huge tour bus at the gas station across the street. We needed some cigs so we went over there and that's when we saw that the bus was Lady Gaga's tour bus. We parked at the pump next to it and when we were headed for the door to the gas station she came walking out of her tour bus. We went up and talked to her for a bit. She's a really nice person to my surprise.

I didn't get a pic of her, but I did get one of her tour bus after we parked and were headed inside the gas station.

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r672/nemesiswontdie3/38939_1561261157896_1426336928_1530180_7363347_n_z ps017d0d91.jpg (http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/nemesiswontdie3/media/38939_1561261157896_1426336928_1530180_7363347_n_z ps017d0d91.jpg.html)

ChasingTheGhost
11-02-2013, 03:24 PM
ARTPOP is okay. I need to listen to it more. The title track, Gypsy and Donatella are great though.

ambergris
11-03-2013, 05:32 AM
I forgot to tell...I didn't go to the presentation after all. My partner has his own private first aid/security company...he provides personnel for events/concerts/street fairs and the like, a privatized Red Cross so to say...And he was asked to provide personnel for that event, and sometimes I go as well and get free entry to concerts...but it didn't work this time because in the end, I didn't want it enough to topple our schedules. And that was for the best, because it was a very screened event. Only a couple of fans were allowed to actually see her. No media, no cameras, no officials were allowed inside. I would have stood outside in the cold four hours... Still, my partner's colleague said that he never saw so many gays in one place.

GulDukat
11-03-2013, 06:56 AM
She's clearly talented and a cut above Katy Perry and Miley--but I don't care for her music.

Mutilated
11-03-2013, 08:20 AM
On first listen, it strikes me as abysmally bad, full of slutty lyrics, attempts at being shocking/entertaining by singing about sex. Its soulless and vapid. The songwriting is virtually non-existent. On a positive, the production quality is quite good.

slave2thewage
11-03-2013, 09:27 AM
I think it's ironic that the track with Rick Rubin has the worst production (Dope).

Kid Charlemagne
11-03-2013, 09:53 AM
I think it's ironic that the track with Rick Rubin has the worst production (Dope).

Not really ironic have you heard the garbage he's produced for Shady?

Space Suicide
11-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Not really ironic have you heard the garbage he's produced for Shady?

Rubin sucks, always has in my opinion.

Downloading now, not expecting much. Underwhelming stuff I've heard thus far.

slave2thewage
11-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Jewels N Drugs is the worst song she's ever done. Awful, awful, awful.

Space Suicide
11-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Jewels N Drugs is the worst song she's ever done. Awful, awful, awful.

The title track, Aura and Gypsy make up for it.

I still like her as a musician and artist but frankly, more has been about aesthetic, cosemetics and pushing an envelope for some time now rather than the core music. The Fame and Fame Monster were excellent but Born This Way was a step down, this seems like one further. least for me and my interests, at least.

kel
11-03-2013, 01:34 PM
four tracks in. it's reminding me a lot of justice's cross.

edit: i've listened to it in it's entirety twice. i think it's great. it's fun, well produced and genuinely exciting.

i hope she announces a tour soon.

Amaro
11-04-2013, 04:46 PM
So far pretty underwhelmed... Sounds like a lot of Born This Way b-sides (and not good ones)...truly. And some really shitty tracks.

ChasingTheGhost
11-04-2013, 10:45 PM
If you get a chance, listen to the clean version streaming on iTunes. Had a very amusing time with it.

slave2thewage
05-05-2014, 11:04 AM
ArtRave setlist:

Artpop
G.U.Y.
Donatella
Fashion!
---------------
Venus (extended)
MANiCURE
Cake Like Lady Gaga
Just Dance
Poker Face
Telephone
---------------
PARTYNAUSEOUS (unreleased, playback)
Paparazzi
Do What U Want
Born This Way (acoustic)
---------------
Jewels N Drugs (playback)
Aura
Sexxx Dreams
Mary Jane Holland
Alejandro (playback)
-------------
Ratchet (playback)
Bad Romance
Applause
Swine
-------------
Gypsy

richardp
05-06-2014, 02:13 AM
Three songs and then a break seems like it'd get a bit tedious, am I wrong? Although the pictures I've seen of the stage setup look fucking phenomenal. I kinda lost interest in Gaga after Born This Way came out but I caught her set at Lolla 2010 and it was a blast. I had tons of fun at that. I feel like I remember someone saying she had one of the highest attendance counts in Lolla history at that set .

slave2thewage
10-17-2014, 11:16 PM
Jesus, the Artrave looks cheap in person.

aggroculture
10-20-2014, 09:01 PM
How's the Tony Bennett album? Anyone heard it?

slave2thewage
10-21-2014, 02:08 AM
How's the Tony Bennett album? Anyone heard it?

I've heard about half of it. I'm not a jazz fan, so I can't really comment but I thought that Bennett was really good constantly and Gaga was veering all over the place.

aggroculture
09-25-2016, 07:44 PM
Not sure what to think about the new single: so far I feel it's more Rick Astley than "The Perfect Drug"
Is she going for a Blondie thing?

Uraki14
09-25-2016, 11:21 PM
I may be in the minority here, but I really feel like she peaked The Fame/Monster. Everything after that has just seemed desperate and terrible. I like some songs on BTW and Artpop, but I really think her becoming famous was an absolute fluke. She is an amazing singer, I just wish someone would tell her to stop writing her own lyrics. They just keep getting worse. And this Perfect Illusion single is hands down the worst one she has put out yet. It sucks cause I thought so highly of her in the beginning and now I think the rumors of her producer boyfriend being responsible for making her great are true.

aggroculture
09-26-2016, 07:32 AM
I think BTW has some of her best work on it - but thought Artpop was terrible: I tried in vain to find a song on it I liked, a hit, that classic Gaga earworm, but did not.

Amaro
01-08-2018, 03:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP3UsFrDJfY

thenorthwood
08-12-2018, 11:36 PM
Bought tickets to both Las Vegas residency shows, Enigma and Jazz and Piano. I told myself NIN was the only band I would travel to Las Vegas to see (LV/The Strip and all its trappings does nothing for me) but my friend is a huge fan and wanted to see the residency shows. Looking forward to both shows, she’s an amazing performer. We will be in the “cheap” seats.

october_midnight
03-02-2020, 11:27 AM
New album Chromatica drops April 10. Preorders up at her site.

ickyvicky
03-02-2020, 01:49 PM
"Stupid Love" is fun, catchy.

kel
03-02-2020, 09:13 PM
i love it. feels like a return to form after joanne, which i enjoyed, but the few uptempo songs were kind of subdued. i'm more excited about the prospect of a tour. i hate vegas and never felt compelled to even try and catch her residency. i haven't seen her since the monster ball, which (holy fuck) was nine years ago.

god, i've missed her.

roolfdriht
03-03-2020, 08:36 PM
i love it. feels like a return to form after joanne, which i enjoyed, but the few uptempo songs were kind of subdued. i'm more excited about the prospect of a tour. i hate vegas and never felt compelled to even try and catch her residency. i haven't seen her since the monster ball, which (holy fuck) was nine years ago.

god, i've missed her.

I like it a lot, too - glad we have a street date for the full album so I know how long I have to resist the urge to play it out prematurely!

Joanne had its moments (I absolutely love Diamond Heart and the title track), but it’s so inextricably associated in my mind with the 2016 election that I have little desire to revisit it frequently. As such, I’m even more excited about new, non-ASIB material.

Space Suicide
03-03-2020, 10:55 PM
New song is alright but the video is like old times. I can't believe I found and have been a fan since January 2009. Time fucking flies.

Joanne didn't do anything for me and the last album I liked top to bottom was Born This Way (sans a few songs). ARTPOP was good but had some bad stuff. I miss the electro pop sound, hopefully the new album is like Stupid Love for most of its content.

roolfdriht
03-10-2020, 11:15 AM
Managed to score GA Pit tickets for the MetLife stadium show, which I’m excited about despite the price. At least the VIP package I “had to” (ha!) purchase includes early access, so it should be an excellent view.

Realize I haven’t seen her since one of the Roseland Ballroom (NYC) farewell dates back in 2014...time really flies.

Space Suicide
03-10-2020, 11:25 PM
Managed to score GA Pit tickets for the MetLife stadium show, which I’m excited about despite the price. At least the VIP package I “had to” (ha!) purchase includes early access, so it should be an excellent view.

Realize I haven’t seen her since one of the Roseland Ballroom (NYC) farewell dates back in 2014...time really flies.
Does the VIP include Merch and a meet and greet?

roolfdriht
03-10-2020, 11:28 PM
Does the VIP include Merch and a meet and greet?

There’s some sort of merch package; definitely no meet & greet (presumably for a star of her stature anything like that would be tiny and not marketed via Ticketmaster).

kel
05-29-2020, 05:28 PM
chromatica is fucking sick. early 90's house, almost start to finish. "alice" and "enigma" are my favorites, but not a single dud.

Space Suicide
05-29-2020, 08:18 PM
chromatica is fucking sick. early 90's house, almost start to finish. "alice" and "enigma" are my favorites, but not a single dud.

Vastly superior to Joanne. I didn't like that album at all.

HWB
08-10-2020, 04:30 AM
Just opened up my mind more and gave The Fame Monster a proper listen, really great album, can't wait to explore rest of her discography too if all of it is t his energetic and fun.

roolfdriht
08-12-2022, 09:21 AM

I totally forgot I posted about The Chromatica Ball right before the world got turned upside down…but finally made it to the show more than two years later.

Will keep this spoiler-free in case anyone else is catching it, but my honest reaction is that it seemed weirdly unambitious and half-baked (for her, at any rate). For context, this was my fifth show, so a lot of my issues may be the tough comparison with the gonzo Fame/Fame Monster era.

The good news is that her vocal performance absolutely killed, as per my prior experience and meeting high expectations. I imagine many of the creative choices were driven by the need to protect the Crown Jewels, as it were. However, even with that in mind, there were missed opportunities. The stage was starkly brutalist and screen-dominated, par for the course in huge stadiums, but the extent to which it was otherwise static and lacking in interesting setpieces surprised me. It was also fairly under-utilized. I certainly wasn’t expect her to be sprinting up and down the two catwalks, but with such a large crew of dancers, it seemed like they could have either planned to use them or just nixed one and sold more GA tickets.

The setlist and pacing was the other aspect that fell a bit flat for me. Song-wise, I went in without many expectations other than for a lot of Chromatica, probably no Joanne, and the full complement of hits. This was pretty much spot-on, but the choices for the first act were bold enough that I remarked “holy shit!” to my husband at the first interlude. I allowed for the possibility that she had more genuine surprises for us…but alas. It’s difficult to unpack this much more sans spoilers, but let’s just say the momentum definitely flagged - particularly with the loooong time spent at the middle stage and the heavy emphasis on Chromatica tracks that IMO have not held up particularly well after two years with the album.

YMMV, of course, and I hope I’m a very lonely dissenting voice here! Anyone catch the tour yet or planning to?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220812/c2bb0fd6d3caf9c1f0d519c4e6895046.jpg

thenorthwood
08-12-2022, 06:25 PM
^Wow, great view! I’m seeing her at Wrigley Field on Monday. It’s strange to think of the stage setup as being stark and brutalist given the elaborate stage setups in the past tours. Looking forward to the show, bought my tickets in 2020, too.

roolfdriht
08-12-2022, 06:55 PM
^Wow, great view! I’m seeing her at Wrigley Field on Monday. It’s strange to think of the stage setup as being stark and brutalist given the elaborate stage setups in the past tours. Looking forward to the show, bought my tickets in 2020, too.

We splurged for the Little Monsters VIP tickets with early entry, so even though we checked in at the last moment, we were able to get a rail spot with no difficulty at all - always appreciate having something to lean on!

With so few dates on the tour, it would not be surprising to hear that the overall production design was driven more by profitability vs. artistic considerations. If so, fair enough! It just makes me appreciate even more having had the opportunity to see multiple dates back when she was willing to hemorrhage money on that stuff.

Hope you have a great time at WF and don’t end up sharing any of my minor laments!