PDA

View Full Version : The Sitcom Thread

Halo Infinity
09-16-2013, 07:37 PM
I wasn't too sure about making multiple threads on cancelled sitcoms here, so I thought of just making a catch-all thread for sitcoms. You can list your favorite sitcoms here and discuss them if you have or want something to say about them. As for my favorite sitcoms so far, they are as follows in no particular order.

Oh yes, and any new and/or active sitcoms can obviously go in here since it's a catch-all sitcom thread. And but of course, not all of them have to be favorites either, considering how sitcoms in general are easily a big hit or miss for most people too. Heck, feel free to discuss the sitcoms you hate too.

Seinfeld - I loved the writing, timing, and acting. And like most fans, I preferred it more with Larry David on board.

Coach - I've always felt that this sitcom was very underrated even though it won many awards during its run. And it was sort of cool to know that the actor playing Dauber also plays Patrick Star in SpongeBob SquarePants.

Full House - I'm a sucker for Uncle Jesse, and it gives me a lot of nostalgia, and what else can I say? I have a soft spot for mush, corny humor, and puns. And then knowing just how Bob Saget is like outside of the Danny Tanner character makes it even more interesting to me. I thought I was over this show, but it grew on me again.

The Nanny - For similar reasons just like Full House, and it seems to actually have some similar humor to Seinfeld in some ways.

Yes, Dear - I thought I was over this show too, but I caught some re-runs again, and I still happen to like it.

Becker - I love Ted Danson's role in this show. A doctor named John Becker that was a curmudgeon with sharp wit that just wanted to be left alone. I also liked the quote describing his character. "His bedside manner is no manners at all!"

sa_nick
09-17-2013, 04:39 AM
Full House was awesome. Comedically I was more of an Uncle Joey kinda guy and then there was D.J. who I liked for other reasons (back when I was like, half her age?).

My fav's would have to be Arrested Development, Sunny in Philly, Louie, Scrubs and Community. Then there's the british stuff like The Office, Spaced, Red Dwarf, IT Crowd, Black Books... All awesome.

Of the newish popular US shows I really only like Parks and Rec and can stand Modern Family and How I Met Your Mother. Big Bang Theroy, Two and a Half Men, 30 Rock and US Office are all a load of crap that I just can not understand.

icklekitty
09-17-2013, 06:45 AM
Arrested Development: This is how Daddy gets his rocks off
Blackadder: So so clever. Educational, bitchy, hilarious
Coupling: Uses a lot of similar devices as AD, but this came before. The dance of dating was confusing to me, but this helped.
The IT Crowd: It's so good I can overlook the fact that no geek on earth lives like this
The Sheldon Is Awesome And Lives With Fucktards Show
Archer: Just the tip
Peep Show: If you haven't seen this, see it. Just see it.
Father Ted: ​ Priests on an island, entering Eurovision and getting lost in lingerie shops.

I could go on when it comes to UK sitcoms - from Fawlty Towers to Desmonds to Spaced. The golden age of US TV for me was the 90s, probably because that's when I grew up watching it on a Friday night. I'll watch the shittest Friends episode again and again, Frasier, Roseanne - even that shit the woman from Moonlighting was in. Recently I've only been able to dig my claws into 30 Rock and Parks and Rec. I watch How I Met Your Mother because there's a guy in a suit who's a whore.

Fixer808
09-17-2013, 06:54 AM
Arrested Development: This is how Daddy gets his rocks off
Blackadder: So so clever. Educational, bitchy, hilarious
Coupling: Uses a lot of similar devices as AD, but this came before. The dance of dating was confusing to me, but this helped.
The IT Crowd: It's so good I can overlook the fact that no geek on earth lives like this
The Sheldon Is Awesome And Lives With Fucktards Show
Archer: Just the tip
Peep Show: If you haven't seen this, see it. Just see it.
Father Ted: ​ Priests on an island, entering Eurovision and getting lost in lingerie shops.

I could go on when it comes to UK sitcoms - from Fawlty Towers to Desmonds to Spaced. The golden age of US TV for me was the 90s, probably because that's when I grew up watching it on a Friday night. I'll watch the shittest Friends episode again and again, Frasier, Roseanne - even that shit the woman from Moonlighting was in. Recently I've only been able to dig my claws into 30 Rock and Parks and Rec. I watch How I Met Your Mother because there's a guy in a suit who's a whore.

I wouldn't really call it a sitcom, but the few episodes of Shameless I've seen have been good.

Oh, and "It's Always Sunny..." may be one of the funniest shows to exist. Saw their panel at SDCC 2011, it was amazing.

Also, the Roseanne Halloween episodes are staples for a friend and I this time of year. John Goodman was so good on that show, and it changes the entire dynamic if you picture him as the main character. It gets really sad, it's all about a guy whose life turned out not at all the way he'd maybe hoped it to, living from job to job, not really knowing his kids... Kind of a bummer, really...

And "It's Always Sunny..." may be one of the funniest shows out there. Saw their panel at SDCC 2011 with heroicraptor and johnbron, great times!

sentient02970
09-17-2013, 07:55 AM
I don't know what took me so long to discover this show, it's not exactly a sitcom but it is exactly the sense of humor that grabs me:
http://youtu.be/HAfsgM_i8O4

thelastdisciple
09-18-2013, 08:52 AM
Anyone watch the pilot of "Dads"?

Haha there was one pretty good rofl moment for me when the maid sees the picture of Rocky from the movie Mask with Cher.... and then she turns to look at Seth Green's Dad sitting on the couch for comparison.... that fucking killed me.

dvp
09-18-2013, 10:46 AM
NewsRadio - Better with the late Phil Hartman. It wasn't until I started re-watching it that I realized how I hate laugh-tracks.

sa_nick
09-18-2013, 10:29 PM
NewsRadio - Better with the late Phil Hartman. It wasn't until I started re-watching it that I realized how I hate laugh-tracks.

Probably my favourite US sitcom of the 90's. Didn't see most of it until this year though. I still haven't ever seen it aired on Aussie TV. Surely it did at some point :\

AgentofChaos
09-19-2013, 12:04 AM
Shocked a lot of the classics I love haven't been mentioned... but yet the fuckin Nanny and Yes, Dear have already been dropped. For SHAME!

Here is my desert island top 10 sitcom dvd collection

Seinfeld
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Cheers
Frasier
Married... with Children
Perfect Strangers
The Cosby Show
All in the Family
The Odd Couple
The Honeymooners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EmmkXH_k0w

marodi
09-19-2013, 11:02 AM
A few of my favorite have already been mentioned:

Coupling
Friends
Seinfeld
NewsRadio

My all time favorite is Perfect Strangers. It was such an amazing show. Scenes like this still make me laugh until I cry today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXsIhJlS2BI

One that hasn't been mentioned yet, which I find surprising is 3rd Rock From The Sun. Watching Joseph Gordon-Levitt grow up on screen was a delight and I could tell right away that this one has a bright future in front of him.

I also had a soft spot for Mad About You and Suddenly Susan.

Deepvoid
09-19-2013, 11:39 AM
I love sitcoms!

I watched the following:

Fresh Prince
Friends
Seinfeld
Mad About You
Everybody loves Raymond
King of Queens
According to Jim
Two guys, A Girl and a pizza place
Party Down
How I Met Your Mother
Two and Half Men
Big Bang
Anger Management
New Girl
Always Sunny
Arrested Developments

Couldn't finish Scrubs. Only watched a couple seasons of The Office. It's next on my list to watch in its entirety.

slave2thewage
09-19-2013, 12:16 PM
I sill never understand how people find Seinfeld funny.

Arrested Development
Summer Heights High
Frasier
The League of Gentlemen
Father Ted
Blackadder
30 Rock
Black Books
Parks and Recreation
I'm Alan Partridge

There's probably a lot more that I'm missing.

Pillfred
09-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Haven't had cable on a regular basis in about 15 years and even then I want home much to watch TV. Having said that I've enjoyed bits of shoes that I have seen.

Becker
Three's Company
Seinfeld
Always Sunny
Scrubs
Raymond
30 Rock
Cheers
Freinds
News Radio
Perfect Strangers
Married with Children
KVRR (?) In Cincinnati
Mork and Mindy

I'm sure I'm missing some but it's always been hit or miss. Sadly much of my TV viewing growing up was late night movies and shitty infomercials.

marodi
09-19-2013, 12:46 PM
Pillfred I think you mean WKRP In Cincinnati. I watched a bit of it too while I was young and it was indeed funny.

And I forgot to mention Malcolm in the Middle ​aka that show Bryan Cranston was in before he did Breaking Bad!

Vertigo
09-19-2013, 01:10 PM
The IT Crowd and Blackadder are easily the funniest sitcoms I've ever seen, beyond their first seasons at least. Just a shame they made so few of them, the number of strong episodes is only enough to make up a single season of an American series.
I love how slick, polished and easily digestible Friends is, it makes most of today's sitcoms look strangely creaky, like they were made ten years before it. On the rare occasions you do get a top-notch Big Bang Theory episode, though, it's magnificent.

Oh, and Arrested Development is the best show at being Arrested Development.

:edit: Ooh ooh. Fresh Prince. Can never get enough Carlton-is-short gags.

Halo Infinity
09-20-2013, 11:42 AM
Shocked a lot of the classics I love haven't been mentioned... but yet the fuckin Nanny and Yes, Dear have already been dropped. For SHAME!

Here is my desert island top 10 sitcom dvd collection

Seinfeld
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Cheers
Frasier
Married... with Children
Perfect Strangers
The Cosby Show
All in the Family
The Odd Couple
The Honeymooners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EmmkXH_k0w
I noticed that I couldn't do the @ thing with your username, so I thought I'd just let you know that I also made a Seinfeld thread (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/208-Seinfeld) back in late 2011. It seemed to be one of those cancelled shows that worked well as threads on ETS, alongside Twin Peaks and Arrested Development.

thevoid99
09-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Let's see... my favorite sitcoms...

Full House-Kimmy Gibler was my favorite character.
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air-Carlton... the greatest character in TV.
& Married... with Children-Lots of cleavage, insulting jokes, and the willingness to be un-PC about everything. Best show ever.

allegro
09-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Absolutely Fabulous
Everybody Loves Raymond
Seinfeld
Home Improvement
According to Jim
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Freaks and Geeks
Modern Family
Taxi
Murphy Brown

slave2thewage
09-20-2013, 07:49 PM
Speaking of non-PC comedy, everyone should watch Gimme Gimme Gimme.

"...if you pardon the pun."
"I love a bit of punnilingus on a Wednesday afternoon."

thelastdisciple
09-20-2013, 10:31 PM
Mrs. Brown's Boys is a newer one, fucking hilarious though... highly recommend it...