PDA

View Full Version : Steven Wilson catch-all thread (Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

onthewall2983
12-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Grace For Drowning has been out for over 2 months now, and the first leg of his solo tour is complete. He stated on his Facebook that a second leg is in the works, focusing on the areas they first missed (he cites the West Coast, Mexico, Italy and India on his post as places where the show is in high demand). And it was just announced today that GFD garnered a Grammy nomination for Best Surround Mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK7vwvmalXQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3lQVoAFLLI&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXvEk1QfFSs&feature=relmfu

Somewhat Damaged
12-04-2011, 05:50 PM
Recently got into Porcupine Tree, I'm so fucking into them. I've listened to The Incident, In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear Of A Blank Planet, and Stupid Dream and loved it all. What album should I listen to next?

onthewall2983
12-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Nil Recurring, Lightbulb Sun, Signify, The Sky Moves Sideways and Up The Downstair. Beyond that, I'd also recommend the compilations Stars Die: The Delerium Years 1991-1997 and ​Recordings for more exposure to their pre-In Absentia work. Also recommended are the live DVD's of Arriving Somewhere... and Anesthetize (also on Blu-Ray).

Somewhat Damaged
12-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Cool, thanks!

onthewall2983
12-04-2011, 11:59 PM
You won't regret it. I honestly believe Steven is one of, if not the best kept secret in the music business now. He pulls in good numbers and sales, but doesn't get the recognition from the mainstream music press. He gets some, David Fricke has written some nice things about him in Rolling Stone (just gave Grace For Drowning a 4-star review). It's easier to imagine a time when someone of his talent would be a superstar, and maybe it's best that that didn't happen for him. Whether it's when we're all long gone or a few years from now, I know he will get his due.

adrenalinejunkie
12-05-2011, 12:34 AM
I'm a huge Steven Wilson fan as well. In Absentia is one of my favorite records of all time. I'm excited for this "Storm Corrosion" project between Mikael and Steven Wilson, but find myself a bit wary of it because Opeth's new record didn't do a whole lot for me and Grace for Drowning was a step backwards for Steven after the quite good Insurgentes album. There's nothing inherently wrong with either, they just didn't particularly hold my interest as much as I hoped/expected.

Goldfoot
12-05-2011, 02:54 AM
Recently got into Porcupine Tree, I'm so fucking into them. I've listened to The Incident, In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear Of A Blank Planet, and Stupid Dream and loved it all. What album should I listen to next?

Signify or Lightbulb Sun are more along the lines of Stupid Dream in that most of the songs aren't very long. Signify is like PT's version of DSOTM, in a sense. I've been listening to them for many years now and I like each album in its own way. FOABP has gotten the most listens for me, and that's due to it's concept nature. I know The Incident is also a concept album, but something keeps drawing me back to FOABP more than others. Also, definitely check out Recordings.

sweetcompanion
12-09-2011, 12:15 PM
I got into PT during the FoaBP era and just became obsessed. They quickly made it into my top-10 favorite bands. I also enjoy all of Steven Wilson's other projects, especially his solo material, no-man and Bass Communion. I got to see him twice on the Grace for Drowning tour and cannot wait for the second leg.

onthewall2983
12-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Steven said in an interview recently he's already at work on his next solo album and that for now nothing is planned for Porcupine Tree. Playing with his live band has inspired him for more material. Take it as you will but I like the idea of the band taking an extended break, with everybody doing their own thing for awhile. I know the other guys in the band have things in the pipeline so he isn't holding them up, obviously.

onthewall2983
12-16-2011, 07:42 AM
Steven announced the tour dates for the 2nd leg of his Grace For Drowning tour on his Facebook today. He said there will be new music on the tour, and one of the shows will be filmed for Blu-Ray/DVD.

30th April - Amager Bio, Copenhagen, Denmark
2nd May - 013, Tilburg, Netherlands
6th May - Garage, Saarbrucken, Germany
7th May - Theterhaus, Stuttgart, Germany
9th May - Z7, Pratteln, Switzerland
10th May - Alcatraz, Milan, Italy
11th May - Orion, Rome, Italy
13th May - FZW, Dortmund, Germany
14th May - AB, Brussels, Belgium
15th May - Shepherds Bush Empire, London, UK

And the official PT Twitter has said there's more dates to come.

seasonsinthesky
12-22-2011, 11:31 AM
The Sky Moves Sideways vinyl reissue just went up for preorder on Burning Shed, for a February ship date. they really went stupid on the tracklist this time around.

onthewall2983
12-22-2011, 06:29 PM
A new No-Man release is coming out in February, a live recording from their performance in October.

http://www.no-man.co.uk/images/loveandendingssmallnews.jpg

The music is drawn from all eras of no-man's output. Also featured is a previously unreleased song dating from the earliest days of the band, the brooding beaten by love.

Love and Endings sees no-man's core duo of Tim Bowness and Steven Wilson joined by respected classical violinist Steve Bingham and regular collaborators Michael Bearpark, Andrew Booker, Stephen Bennett and Pete Morgan.

Further details and a pre-order link will be provided in January.
Tracklisting:
1. my revenge on seattle (6.02)
2. time travel in texas (4.51)
3. all the blue changes (6.10)
4. pretty genius (3.58)
5. lighthouse (8.16)
6. beaten by love (3.58)
7. wherever there is light (5.09)
8. mixtaped (9.32)
9. things change (8.24)

Also, a Storm Corrosion Facebook page went up today. Not much on it currently, except some more personnel info about who else will be on it.

Storm Corrosion will be issued by Roadrunner in April 2012. Apart from Mikael and Steven, the album includes guest appearances by Gavin Harrison on drums/percussion, Ben Castle on woodwinds, and Dave Stewart on string arrangements.

onthewall2983
12-29-2011, 08:01 AM
Steven has also hinted at a limited edition 1 disc live recording from his solo European tour. He posted on Facebook that next year his plans are to work with the band he's been touring with on new material for his next solo album, and touring in the spring (one show will be filmed for Blu-Ray/DVD).

onthewall2983
01-03-2012, 10:13 AM
From his Facebook today

Folks, just to clarify news elsewhere of a new Blackfield album coming this year - please note that this time my involvement will be as a contributor rather than a member. I will still be mixing the album, and maybe sing on a couple of Aviv's songs (there will be other guest singers I understand), but with my complete blessing Blackfield is now under his sole curatorship, a process which really began with Welcome to My DNA.

Not surprised, as Welcome To My DNA ​felt less and less like it was 50/50 between the two of them.

[73]
01-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Steven has to be overwhelmed with all of the projects he undertakes. A couple of years ago, I never would have thought that Porcupine Tree would be put on hold. It's probably a good thing since the new album will sound very fresh. I'm looking forward to his third solo album.

onthewall2983
01-03-2012, 01:46 PM
You'd think so, but he never seems to complain about it all that much. He really enjoys what he does, and has a very strong passion for music, and I think that him doing so much is as part of that as is the quality of what he does. But maybe you're right, and now that he's in his 40's, he'll probably slow it down in the coming years enough to give each project (and himself) time to breathe.

onthewall2983
01-12-2012, 03:14 PM
From his Facebook

I can now confirm more shows in North / Central America. Please note that tickets are not on sale yet, but I'll post ticket links as soon as they are. Just to confirm the line up for this shows will be myself, Nick Beggs, Adam Holzman, Marco Minnemann, Theo Travis, and new guitar player Niko Tsonev - I plan to present one (very long) new piece, otherwise this is a continuation of the show presented on first leg of the GFD tour. 4th April - Showbox, Seattle / 6th April - Fillmore, San Francisco / 7th April - LA (venue to be confirmed) / 9th April - Dallas, House of Blues / 13th April - Metropolitan, Mexico City. South American and further European shows still to come...

seasonsinthesky
01-13-2012, 11:21 PM
part of my 'album retrospective' on The Sky Moves Sideways was posted (http://starsdie.com/wp/starsdie-com-retrospective-the-sky-moves-sideways-part-one) on starsdie.com today. potentially interesting read for SW fans (and grounds for disagreement!).

onthewall2983
01-27-2012, 09:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXNt2mdqYOM&feature=colike

Promo video for No-Man's Love And Ending's live album/concert film. This looks to put their previous live release to shame. Make sure to watch it in 720p, it looks absolutely stunning for something only shot with two cameras. It's available for pre-order (either as a CD/DVD, a double vinyl, or a bundle of the two) from their exclusively from burningshed (http://www.burningshed.com/store/noman) store.

onthewall2983
01-31-2012, 08:49 PM
A full performance from ^ of "Lighthouse".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PSkV7dj8xA&feature=g-u-u&context=G2a35011FUAAAAAAAHAA

onthewall2983
02-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Dates announced so far for the second leg of Steven's Grace For Drowning Tour:

4th April - Showbox, Seattle, USA
6th April - The Fillmore, San Francisco, USA
7th April- House of Blues, LA, USA
9th April - House of Blues, Dallas, USA
13th April - Metropolitan, Mexico City, Mexico
25th April - KB, Malmo, SWEDEN
26th April - Gota Kallare, Stockholm, SWEDEN
27th April - Peer Gynt, Bergen, NORWAY
28th April - Rockefeller, Oslo, NORWAY
30th April - Amager Bio, Copenhagen, Denmark
2nd May - 013, Tilburg, Netherlands
3rd May - Alte Feuerwache Mannheim, Mannheim, GERMANY
4th May - Trianon, Paris, France
6th May - Garage, Saarbrucken, Germany
7th May - Theaterhaus, Stuttgart, Germany
9th May - Z7, Pratteln, Switzerland
10th May - Alcatraz, Milan, Italy
11th May - Orion, Rome, Italy
13th May - FZW, Dortmund, Germany
14th May - AB, Brussels, Belgium
15th May - Shepherds Bush Empire, London, UK

onthewall2983
02-13-2012, 07:23 AM
Excellent interview with SW (http://www.innerviews.org/inner/wilson.html), discussing his recent and future projects.

blackholesun
02-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Yes! So excited to see this show in SF.

onthewall2983
03-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Watching the Insurgentes movie DVD now. It's an interesting piece, basically a reflection of his views on the industry, interspersed with glimpses of life on the road and in the studio. The scenes shot in his school and with his parents were the most interesting to me. Listening to the Bass Communion/Pig collaboration now, quite creepy as most any BC piece is.

Also bought the Grace For Drowning Blu-ray today. Can't wait to hear these songs in 5.1 finally :)

Deadpool
03-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Watching the Insurgentes movie DVD now. It's an interesting piece, basically a reflection of his views on the industry, interspersed with glimpses of life on the road and in the studio.

I watched this with my friend who got me into Porcupine Tree some months ago, and we actually got into a bit of an argument about Steven's approach and philosophy in the film. We're both huge fans and best friends, so it didn't go past that day, but I think the Insurgentes documentary definitely gets a reaction one way or another out of its audience. I personally quite liked it. Since then, that same friend actually got us free tickets to the NYC Grace For Drowning show a little while back. Amazing show. Still can't believe they opened with "No Twilight..."

Anyway, Storm Corrosion is available for pre-order!

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/page/News?news_id=118307

I was not expecting such warm colors in the cover art - reminds me of Jane's Addiction, actually. Dying to hear this album.

eversonpoe
03-11-2012, 09:02 PM
i'm still a bit sad that there's no visual accompaniment to the tracks on the blu-ray of "grace for drowning." i never like having a mostly black screen up on my TV while i'm listening to music.

onthewall2983
03-11-2012, 09:32 PM
If you choose the "songs" part of the menu, you can look at artwork (and videos for 5 of the songs) as you do it. It's not as easy to access as it should be, but it's there.

eversonpoe
03-11-2012, 09:37 PM
oh, cool. thanks!

i guess i kinda figured with the awesome (and lengthy) menu video, they would have had some video (or at least stills) to go with the songs.

onthewall2983
03-11-2012, 09:44 PM
I watched this with my friend who got me into Porcupine Tree some months ago, and we actually got into a bit of an argument about Steven's approach and philosophy in the film. We're both huge fans and best friends, so it didn't go past that day, but I think the Insurgentes documentary definitely gets a reaction one way or another out of its audience.

I agree, and I liked it as well. He has very valid points throughout, and even though I disagree with his view on iPods he makes a strong enough argument as to why he feels it degrades the quality of the art. For me personally, as he's a very bony guy physically and even says in the film that he was a crap athlete, I doubt he knows the pain of dealing with a skippy portable CD player while on a treadmill.

But I think the answer to the specific problem he has about sound quality and actual artistic artwork is something he's partly solved by putting Grace For Drowning on Blu-ray. I can see more artists in the future, who care about the sonic quality of their work, using BR as a medium that provides both the best sound quality and replicates the kind of experience SW talks about in the movie with record sleeves.

onthewall2983
03-24-2012, 05:17 PM
The Mexico City (http://www.rollingstone.com.mx/noticias/steven-wilson-grabara-su-concierto-en-mexico) on April 13th show will be filmed for DVD/Blu-ray.

eversonpoe
03-25-2012, 05:32 PM
special record store day 12" release!

Steven Wilson, best known as founder and front man of British rock band Porcupine Tree. Catalogue/Preserve/Amass is a collection of live recordings from the European leg of his recent tour.
Limited to 2000
$29.99

more info here (http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/5408)

[73]
03-29-2012, 06:47 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Catalogue-Preserve-Amass-Steven-Wilson/dp/B007F5GY2Q/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1333021577&sr=8-5

onthewall2983
04-05-2012, 06:31 PM
QuadrophonicQuad Q&A with SW (http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?15812-Here-are-Steven-Wilson-s-responses-to-your-questions), covering some interesting items concerning his work with 5.1 mixes for his own music and projects for other artists (he reveals that he's in the midst of working on new mixes for Emerson, Lake & Palmer), in particular his desire to do new stereo and surround mixes of In Absentia and ​Deadwing.

henryeatscereal
04-11-2012, 11:56 AM
hope he finishes te whole King Crimson catalogue, im seeing him live this Friday also woo!

Boo Berry!

eversonpoe
04-12-2012, 08:53 AM
hope he finishes te whole King Crimson catalogue, im seeing him live this Friday also woo!

have fun seeing him live! i saw him last year and it was fucking incredible.

also, has he said in any interviews how much of the catalogue he's mixing? i would imagine that all we have left is Lark's Tongues, Beat, and Three Of A Perfect Pair, as he's probably not doing the 90s/00s stuff (but i'd love to be proven wrong).

henryeatscereal
04-12-2012, 01:46 PM
have fun seeing him live! i saw him last year and it was fucking incredible.

also, has he said in any interviews how much of the catalogue he's mixing? i would imagine that all we have left is Lark's Tongues, Beat, and Three Of A Perfect Pair, as he's probably not doing the 90s/00s stuff (but i'd love to be proven wrong).

Thanks bro i will, i saw him in 2010 with Porcupine Tree, but im excited to see him again with this new proyect, i dont know if he's mixing more KC albums, i also heard that Ian Anderson was so pleased with the "Aqualung" remaster that he asked him to do the whole Jethro Tull catalog so who knows? but a "Vrooom" remaster would be fn' awesome...

seasonsinthesky
04-12-2012, 09:31 PM
SW is done once the '80s stuff comes out. another engineer is doing THRAK and The Power to Believe (ConstruKction isn't on the list, for whatever reason).

eversonpoe
04-12-2012, 09:38 PM
SW is done once the '80s stuff comes out. another engineer is doing THRAK and The Power to Believe (ConstruKction isn't on the list, for whatever reason).

interesting...and odd. why would they skip over ConstruKction? i hope the other two 80s albums and Lark's get finished up and released soon...i'm itching to hear all of them.

onthewall2983
04-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Last I heard, Jakko Jakszyk is doing the latter-day KC mixes. He's worked with Fripp on several projects, most notably last year's A Scarcity Of Miracles.

henryeatscereal
04-12-2012, 09:58 PM

No ConstruKction??? Dammit!!!

onthewall2983
04-30-2012, 06:03 PM
Don't have the article on me, but I think SW declared the obvious and said officially that Porcupine Tree is on hiatus.

henryeatscereal
05-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Don't have the article on me, but I think SW declared the obvious and said officially that Porcupine Tree is on hiatus.
I heard that, and it's obvious he's very pleased with his solo record, in an interview in Mexico he said he's already planning the follow up of "Grace for drowning", so between this and Storm Corrosion, i dont think we'll see a new Porcupine Tree album 'till fall of 2013, bummer

Check this interview, the audio is terrible, but the first question is mine, yay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOMTzhuXH98

seasonsinthesky
05-01-2012, 11:58 AM
No ConstruKction??? Dammit!!!

indeed, it would benefit most. maybe Fripp considers it a lost cause, or he just doesn't want Mastelotto to have to re-record the whole record (after all, those MIDI drums are a major pitfall... they were done much better when he integrated straight loops behind his acoustic drumming).

onthewall2983
05-18-2012, 09:30 AM
Six-part interview with SW (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/page/News?news_id=119642) about a variety of interesting topics.

onthewall2983
06-14-2012, 09:32 PM
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/550865_428528197167448_2139957920_n.jpg

First cover on a major American publication :)

henryeatscereal
06-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Funny, the least commercial he becomes, the more success he gets...

onthewall2983
06-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Now on Twitter @StevenWilsonHQ and a new unreleased track on his SoundCloud account "Godfearing" (http://soundcloud.com/steven-wilson/godfearing-demo-2001-03).

henryeatscereal
06-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Sweet track, i would love it in a special ed for "Deadwing" (Double with extra tracks videos and 5.1 Audio)

onthewall2983
06-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Well, it is free to download. A new surround edition of Deadwing will probably come to fruition, per the article with Steven talking about surround sound and how it's changed since the mixes for both that and In Absentia ​came out.

onthewall2983
06-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Just announced he is singing a version of the Gabriel-era Genesis track "Can Utility And The Coastliners" on an upcoming Steve Hackett album, assisted by Mikael from Opeth.

And the good news keeps on coming, the Mexico City concert Blu/DVD is being worked on now with preview material coming soon!

henryeatscereal
06-25-2012, 01:53 PM
And the good news keeps on coming, the Mexico City concert Blu/DVD is being worked on now with preview material coming soon!
I was on that gig, it was AWESOME one of the best concerts of my life im not exaggerating, it was even better than the 3 other times i saw him with Porcupine Tree!

onthewall2983
06-26-2012, 09:45 AM
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/582110_435514783135456_722302096_n.jpg

Here is the front cover for the live "Get All You Deserve" Blu-Ray / DVD. There will also be an edition with the full concert included on 2 audio CDs. Release date is 25th September, more info and preview material soon....

onthewall2983
06-27-2012, 09:11 PM
http://a.yfrog.com/img734/8906/nthpf.jpg

Screen cap from the show, suddenly very jealous of henryeatscereal.

henryeatscereal
06-27-2012, 10:11 PM
^ Teatro Metropolitan is one of the best concert-venues in town (An old XIX century theatre), can't think of a better place for Steven Wilson, he has used the venue before for his concerts with Porcupine Tree, but i think it fits better for his solo stuff.

Can't wait for this!!!

onthewall2983
06-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Forgot to mention this, but No-Man will be playing two live dates in the UK in a few months

August 31st 2012 - Zoetermeer, Netherlands, Boerderij
September 2nd 2012 - London, UK, Islington Assembly Hall

henryeatscereal
06-28-2012, 09:21 PM
I already know the answer to this but...

Is it too much to ask for a Storm Corrosion mini-tour?

onthewall2983
07-02-2012, 08:27 PM
The most I could ever see is Mikael making a guest appearance at one of SW's solo shows and maybe doing a song or two from the album, but that's being hopeful.

Speaking of which, SW has confirmed on Twitter there will be a tour behind his next solo album scheduled for release next spring, and has hinted that it will reach more cities than his first two jaunts.

onthewall2983
07-05-2012, 08:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3vg0mUErXg&feature=colike

Pre-Order available from BurningShed (https://www.burningshed.com/store/stevenwilson/product/65/4009)

Get All You Deserve, is a high-definition 4 disc (blu-ray, dvd, 2cd) audio-visual set from Steven Wilson.

Filmed in Mexico City and directed by long-time visual collaborator Lasse Hoile during the Grace For Drowning Tour, the set is a superb representation of the spectacular live experience that Wilson and Hoile created for the tour.

Grace For Drowning was the second album released under Wilson's own name, following 2009's exceptionally well-received Insurgentes. The album, released in September 2011, entered the UK top 40 album chart at #34, both the Dutch and German national charts at #22, the US Billboard Rock album chart at #19 (#13 in independent chart) and debuted at #7 in the Polish national charts.

Following the release of Grace For Drowning, Steven embarked on his first ever solo tour, assembling a virtuoso band, featuring Marco Minnemann (drums), Nick Beggs (bass), Theo Travis (flute and sax), Adam Holzman (keys) and Niko Tsonev (guitars), to accompany him. For the shows he worked extensively with Lasse to create a show unlike anything else he had attempted with his other bands, Porcupine Tree, Blackfield, No-Man or Bass Communion.

The shows submerged fans in a rich sensory experience: rear speakers provide surround-sound effects, giant screens show off Lasse's films made specifically to accompany these songs, and cutting-edge lighting designs giving texture to each song.

Get All You Deserve captures one of the key shows from the tour. Recorded at a sold-out Teatro Metropolitan in Mexico City, the gig features tracks from both Wilson's solo albums along with the new, as yet unreleased, track Luminol.

The limited deluxe edition of the 4 disc set (Blu-ray, DVD & 2CD) is packaged in a DVD sized hard-back 40 page book and is now available to pre-order from the Kscope store for the early bird price of £24.99 (+ P&P).

Pre-order now for 24th September 2012 release date.

1. Intro ('Citadel')
2. No Twilight Within the Courts of the Sun
3. Index
4. Deform to Form a Star
5. Sectarian
6. Postcard
7. Remainder the Black Dog
8. Harmony Korine
9. Abandoner
10. Like Dust I Have Cleared From My Eye
11. Luminol
12. Veneno Para Las Hadas
13. No Part of Me
14. Raider II
15. Get All You Deserve
16. Outro ('Litany')

henryeatscereal
07-05-2012, 08:25 AM
*Cries from happiness*

seasonsinthesky
07-05-2012, 08:44 AM
i realize it's YouTube, but goddamn that audio mix is horrible.

onthewall2983
07-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Steven said it's mono and out of phase, but being worked on. It's kind of cool how he's taken to Twitter. Updates it more often personally than his Facebook page it appears.

henryeatscereal
07-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Im glad he's releasing both the video and the audio, i already ordered mine, the fuckin shipping is expensive as fuck! but Steven you're worth it!

wizfan
07-05-2012, 05:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbW56ersWe8

Audio fixed!

seasonsinthesky
07-05-2012, 09:19 PM
sadly, that didn't change my opinion — the snare sounds absolutely awful imo, as do the distorted rhythm guitars (a problem SW has had with his live rig for years).

the video quality is great, though! Nick Beggs is a very... interesting musician.

onthewall2983
07-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Not to nitpick, but it looks like Marco is playing a higher pitched snare off to the side of his kit during most of the song. I will agree with you on the rhythm guitars, however.

[73]
07-06-2012, 05:43 AM
Thanks for the heads-up, onthewall2983. I'm going to wait until the single Blu-ray disc is offered to purchase it. $40.20+$7.30 is too pricey for me since I only want to watch the Blu-ray. I don't need the DVD or 2 audio CDs.

onthewall2983
07-06-2012, 09:38 AM
It's actually 40 bucks with shipping.

onthewall2983
07-18-2012, 04:35 PM
HI folks - an update of sorts.... The writing for the next SW album is almost finished, and this time I've written it all for my live band to play, mostly pretty long pieces (including the piece we previewed on the recent tour "Luminol"). We will start recording in LA in September with Alan Parsons overseeing things. Alan, as I'm sure many of you know, was the engineer on Dark Side of the Moon, one of the best sounding records ever. The new album should be out in early 2013, and conceptually and visually we are planning to take things to the next level with the packaging and live show too. Lasse is also going to be there to film so we plan to bring you some in the studio footage on the official SW YouTube channel.

That's just a kind of awesomeness that's beyond words.

henryeatscereal
07-18-2012, 09:59 PM
i've always found a big Alan Parson's influence in Steven's work, im glad they are working together...

onthewall2983
07-19-2012, 10:51 AM
It is a match made in sonic heaven. Alan, for those who don't know, also worked with The Beatles on Let It Be and Abbey Road as an engineer. So I'm sure Steven will be soaking up a lot of knowledge and expand his vocabulary a bit with the recording process. I'm anxious to see how this record comes out.

onthewall2983
08-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Some Porcupine Tree news for once. Kscope has just announced the release of Octane Twisted, a live 2-CD/DVD set from the Chicago stop on the Incident tour. Not much else as far as that, but here (http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/porcupine-tree/2010/riviera-theater-chicago-il-73d4eefd.html) is the setlist from that night. You'll notice in the comments section it mentions Steven told the crowd it was being filmed for a DVD.

Deadpool
08-03-2012, 12:30 PM
It's wild that we're getting both a Porcupine Tree live set and a Steven Wilson solo one this Fall. Must replenish funds!

henryeatscereal
08-03-2012, 02:18 PM
happy to hear about The Incident DVD, i loved that tour and it's one of my favorite PT albums

[73]
08-04-2012, 07:48 PM
http://www.kscopemusic.com/podcast/

It's scheduled for release on November 5th.

onthewall2983
08-04-2012, 09:20 PM
The Incident is probably Porcupine Tree's weakest album in comparison to their other work, but it still has some great songs. It is telling that PT has been on this hiatus after their tour finished. Steven has been on such a roll with his solo work as of late, I do wonder where the band will go from this point. As good as those albums are (and as great as I'm sure the next one will be), he does have an undeniable chemistry with the three other guys. But with his shifting attitudes (going away from the metal influence for instance), I would expect the next Porcupine Tree album to possibly be vastly different from their last 3-4 albums.

onthewall2983
08-10-2012, 10:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3MpGBwGdVk&feature=g-u-u

onthewall2983
08-30-2012, 11:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzqpQN3upWg&feature=youtu.be

henryeatscereal
08-30-2012, 12:12 PM
...almost in my hands!

onthewall2983
09-06-2012, 09:36 AM
https://vimeo.com/48874389

henryeatscereal
09-06-2012, 12:22 PM
I heard Steven is arriving somewhere (black), not here...

onthewall2983
09-16-2012, 09:11 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A26s3NiCQAAQkRl.jpg

Recording on #3 has commenced. Video coming soon, he says.

onthewall2983
09-17-2012, 07:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTiLoiyHDRI&feature=player_embedded

henryeatscereal
09-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Luminol is an awesome track, can't wait for the new album!

onthewall2983
09-17-2012, 04:13 PM
The four-disc edition is on Amazon for a little under 30 bucks now. I feel like a schmuck for getting it for 50 on burningshed.

eversonpoe
09-17-2012, 04:34 PM
The four-disc edition is on Amazon for a little under 30 bucks now. I feel like a schmuck for getting it for 50 on burningshed.

the version on burning shed has more elaborate packaging, i believe, and is limited edition. the version on amazon is the "retail" version (whatever that means) so i'm sure you'll get your money's worth!

onthewall2983
09-18-2012, 03:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tepmJdFYiqI&feature=player_embedded#!

henryeatscereal
09-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Adam's t-shirt is awesome, lol

onthewall2983
09-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Very brave of Steven to be posting what is essentially raw elements of unreleased material by sharing these vids now.

henryeatscereal
09-18-2012, 09:44 PM
it's funny how he dissed iPod and American idol culture, yet he's taking a very interactive social network oriented path lately... im enjoying the ride so far!

onthewall2983
09-21-2012, 01:23 PM
the version on burning shed has more elaborate packaging, i believe, and is limited edition. the version on amazon is the "retail" version (whatever that means) so i'm sure you'll get your money's worth!

I read somewhere that that's the case, so yeah I feel less bad about it now. Plus it's better that the money is going to them than Amazon anyway, since they are doing in general fans of progressive music a great service by putting out what they do. It's just too bad they can't get an American office up and running.

onthewall2983
09-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Was happy to see this in the mail this morning, not thinking it was coming in today until I saw that Burning Shed was re-tweeting customers who had theirs arrive already. The package is wonderful, and I was very tempted to just leave it in the wrapping before temptation became too heavy and I went right in for it. Lasse Hoile did again, a wonderful job lighting and directing the performance. Each musician is given equal camera time, gradually exposing the nuances of their performances as the show carries on.

Steven is just a man possessed, going back and forth between electric guitar, acoustic, keyboards and singing. And in "Raider II" he goes between all of them quite frequently. Likewise Theo Travis is on all but one song, switching reeds and even playing keyboards himself on a few tracks. Marco does an excellent job on the heavier stuff, and adds his flavor to songs like "Index" where the song really comes alive compared to the more clinical studio version. All in all, it's a very tight band and I don't blame Steven one bit for immediately going back into the studio with these guys for his next album.

henryeatscereal
09-22-2012, 10:15 PM
The packaging is so pretty, im so glad i ordered and just watching the concert again gives me chills, fuckin magic night one of the best concerts in my life, that's for sure!

onthewall2983
09-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Jesus the crowd is dead quiet during the opening of "Raider II".

henryeatscereal
09-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Jesus the crowd is dead quiet during the opening of "Raider II".
Oh yeah, Steven asked us to be "silent" during the begining of the song for dramatic purposes, the mexican audience is very loud so this was unique, but there's always the asshole that "squeals" during the silence, what a douchebag! im glad you can barely hear him...

onthewall2983
09-24-2012, 11:10 AM
He isn't there at all on the CD mix, I'm guessing it might have taken some post-production trickery to remove it. That or it wasn't picked up by the recording equipment.

joplinpicasso
09-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Damn, "Luminol" is amazing (and has a distinctly Steven Wilson title, ha). I don't know if I'll buy the DVD, but the performances sound really spectacular.

onthewall2983
09-28-2012, 11:50 AM
https://www.burningshed.com/covers/large3256.jpg

Pre-order link for limited 3 disc edition (https://www.burningshed.com/store/kscope/product/272/4174)

onthewall2983
10-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Lengthy article/interview with Steven about his various projects (http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=42991#.UGmP3037KSq). Also gave us an idea when to expect the new record, which should hit sometime next March. 7 new songs, 4 of them 10-plus minutes.

henryeatscereal
10-05-2012, 12:33 PM
onthewall is going to kill me but here's the third video for the recording sessions...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYcnNdStvHE

This sounds so good! i can't wait for the new album, and im starting to listen the Alan Parson's influence!

onthewall2983
10-05-2012, 12:46 PM
To the contrary, it's good someone else is pulling their weight here LOL. The track sounds awesome, it's described as orchestral so I hope they record strings for it. As awesome as this band is, I still hope Steven somehow imploys more exotic instruments on top of what's being put down already.

henryeatscereal
10-05-2012, 05:10 PM
I think he's evolving even more! i mean it's impressive the growth from "Fear of a Blank Planet" to "Grace for Drowning", think his solo stuff "triggered" something in him, so it's safe to say he'll be using different and exotic instruments in a near future

onthewall2983
10-12-2012, 08:31 PM
His official website (http://stevenwilsonhq.com) has been re-done, complete with news on the new album (http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/new-album-update), and the first dates of his 2013 jaunt (http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/tour-dates)

Also ran into this bit of artwork on the site, a preview of what will be part of the next album's packaging and also promotion for the Paris show.

http://www.swhq.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Paris-Ad.jpg

onthewall2983
10-20-2012, 04:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I2Intvuetk4

onthewall2983
10-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Stream/download of "I Drive The Hearse" from Porcupine Tree's forthcoming Octane Twisted​ (http://emailunlock.com/kscope-burningshed/porcupine-tree-i-drive-the)

henryeatscereal
10-23-2012, 09:40 PM
My favorite song from "The Incident" by far

eversonpoe
10-24-2012, 08:43 AM
i love how collaborative it seems like this new album is. like steven is still running the show, but everyone has a say. maybe i'm not describing it well. either way, i'm REALLY excited for the album.

onthewall2983
10-27-2012, 04:53 PM
What I see it is, is that Steven is aware of his technical limitations compared to some of the other players in his ensemble. He's an above-average (he probably would say just average) guitar/bass/keyboard guy and has a great capacity for melody, but he wants the best guys he can get to express and push his ideas further. They all are doing their own thing, but following him at the same time.

wizfan
10-27-2012, 06:50 PM
Plus, Steven has confessed that he can't read music or remember the names of chords. He plays music by ear, so every time he needs help with notation, he asks somebody like Barbieri.

onthewall2983
10-31-2012, 06:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lWjVZn4xQoQ#!

henryeatscereal
10-31-2012, 09:40 AM
Steven: i know you're happy playing with Marco and Adam but please play with these guys again!

onthewall2983
11-02-2012, 01:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n9JgUizq8M&feature=g-all-u

onthewall2983
11-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Today is his birthday, btw (45, WTF?)

onthewall2983
11-09-2012, 10:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U0t60vgOFY&feature=g-all-u

onthewall2983
11-16-2012, 02:31 PM
*drip drip*

henryeatscereal
11-17-2012, 01:23 PM
^Mr Wilson is going to get mad and destroy our iPods for that (im already listening)

seasonsinthesky
11-23-2012, 10:53 PM
^ still dislike that song greatly. it really was doomed as a single.

Octane Twisted leaves me saying "meh" too. second disc of audio is great, but i don't particularly care about the first disc (it certainly doesn't outmatch the album), and the DVD is pretty godawful. i doubt anything will dethrone Coma Divine and Anesthetize from now onward.

onthewall2983
11-24-2012, 03:23 AM
I love it actually, but I get what you mean. "Piano Lessons" is worse.

I'm not surprised the DVD isn't up to par, based on the videos. There's a big question mark surrounding the band right now, but I'll just come out and say I won't be surprised if they part ways soon enough. Wilson has really come into his own with these solo records, and maybe the idea of going back to Porcupine Tree will be like stepping backward artistically.

henryeatscereal
11-24-2012, 11:41 AM
I love it actually, but I get what you mean. "Piano Lessons" is worse.

I'm not surprised the DVD isn't up to par, based on the videos. There's a big question mark surrounding the band right now, but I'll just come out and say I won't be surprised if they part ways soon enough. Wilson has really come into his own with these solo records, and maybe the idea of going back to Porcupine Tree will be like stepping backward artistically.
I agree, as i said on an earlier post: Steven is way to confortable with the "Grace for drowning live band" and he is very happy with all the fan support and acclaim his solo carrer has received, plus now he's not tied with the "most commercial" format of PT (that he seems to dislike at moments).
I would like him to keep his "two bands" (plus No-Man), with his solo carrer as the "main band" and PT as the "part-time band" (much like Trent Reznor is trying to do with HTDA and NIN).
I would really love another PT album and a small tour but im also looking forward for Steven's third album, at least the second one it's a sure thing...

onthewall2983
11-25-2012, 10:22 AM
I thought last night it would be cool if Gavin, Richard and Colin formed a new band with John Wesley if Steven does put the brakes permanently on PT.

onthewall2983
11-28-2012, 06:22 PM
http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/TheRavenThatRefusedToSing_Medium.jpg

The new album by Steven Wilson and band The Raven that Refused to Sing (and other stories) will be released on Kscope on 25th February. The album was written between January-July and recorded in Los Angeles in September with Steven’s current band line up of Guthrie Govan – lead guitar, Nick Beggs – bass guitar, Marco Minnemann – drums, Adam Holzman – keyboards, Theo Travis – saxophone / flute and engineered by legendary producer/engineer Alan Parsons.

Track listing:
1. Luminol (12.10)
2. Drive Home (7.37)
3. The Holy Drinker (10.13)
4. The Pin Drop (5.03)
5. The Watchmaker (11.43)
6. The Raven that Refused to Sing (7.57)

More info here (http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/new-album-details/).

henryeatscereal
11-30-2012, 08:42 AM
The cover art is weird, almost very "un-wilsonish" maybe it's because this time he isn't on the cover... maybe because the art looks like a children's book...

I bet the music will be top-notch and im hoping something even better than GFD and Insurgentes

onthewall2983
11-30-2012, 07:04 PM
I'm guessing by the number of tracks, lengthy as they may be, that this might be a more disciplined effort than Grace. That album kind of went all over the place, in a good way if not a little bit disjointed in places because of it. That he has this band, that can translate the kind of depth and scope he wants to achieve, could mean the songs have more focus. His interest in the supernatural is well-documented from some of the songs he's written about it before to the Bass Communion album Ghosts On Magnetic Tape (which is one of the projects he's most proud of as a musician).

onthewall2983
12-05-2012, 11:07 PM
No-Man: Part 1

I've been meaning for a little bit to write something about them, because I'm not sure they're as well-known to people on ETS as PT or his solo career might. It's an important piece to the Steven Wilson story as far as his evolution as an artist, but it's not as celebrated. At least in America, I do know they've had some sizable importance in the UK. It's not as accessible as Porcupine Tree or Blackfield, and it's struggling to define it as one easy genre. At times, elements of electronic, folk, jazz, prog, industrial, rock, and dance music have found their way into the tapestry of their music. I have always felt that the way they operate works to Steven's strengths purely as someone arranging the music, since he has Tim's voice words to play off of. And the work proves that he's just as much at ease working in strict collaboration as he is calling the shots.

Their 1999 album Speak, a collection of their first recordings with re-recorded vocals, has become a personal favorite. The way it's described in the documentary Returning was that it was an attempt to pay homage to the kind of folk music they'd admired (using Nick Drake and Donovan as examples, who they in fact cover on this) but with the mostly electronic instruments they had at their disposal. It comes off very well, a sound of it's own, dipping into the past but looking into the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0J2K3YSrLk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOxn_XIPKUU

The track, "Angel Gets Caught In The Beauty Trap", from their 1994 effort Flowermouth is possibly one of my favorite pieces of music. It's more seductive than anything close to progressive rock should be. It marks the first collaboration Steven had with Robert Fripp, who would go on to play on a few more No-Man tracks and a few on the Fear Of A Blank Planet/Nil Recurring period for Porcupine Tree. He provides his distinctive Frippertronics and a scorching guitar solo alongside a soprano sax, keyboard, trumpet and violin accompaniment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GK1W0yQOSo

After some bumps in the road, and detours into attempts at being more commercial, they came into their own with 2001's Returning Jesus, a record that had taken several years to come out. The return to their roots while working on Speak had actually given them the spark that would lead to the future of the band. A more melancholic approach, more considerations to atmospheres and organic instrumentation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuvqwrJZGmw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-BKvg3Yi6c

Together We're Stranger is the most expansive, quasi-minimalist record outside of Bass Communion SW has ever been involved with. Some of his BC work is actually the foundation for the title track, with instruments and vocals added later. The concept behind the first half of that record, a suite or tone poem of songs interlinked together was arguably a more successful experiment in that area compared to what was done later on the Porcupine Tree album The Incident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8-WLOPIHNI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-zkzsqz4HU

henryeatscereal
12-06-2012, 09:00 AM
^ One of the reasons i visit ETS, bravo!

I really like No-Man i think it's Steven's weirdest project, but i consider it his most personal work along with his solo carrer.
I think it's something you have to discover by yourself along with Bass Communion and Blackfield but all of his projects have something special that defines them and single them out from the others...
My favorite Bass Communion album is "Returning Jesus" it makes me think of a 70's Mogwai, i really want to watch him perform with No-Man someday (Much like he did with Bass Communion in Mexico)

onthewall2983
12-06-2012, 09:17 AM
My favorite Bass Communion album is "Returning Jesus" it makes me think of a 70's Mogwai, i really want to watch him perform with No-Man someday (Much like he did with Bass Communion in Mexico)

Got BC on the brain, eh? :)

henryeatscereal
12-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Got BC on the brain, eh? :)
Hahaha, guilty as charged! I guess it helped that i was listening the "Live in Mexico City" album a few days ago!
It was a great gig with Pig and Rogelio Sosa (He used to be a teacher of mine by the way), one of the best performances i've ever attended!

Both Bass Communion and No Man are awesome acts! and i really need to watch No-Man live!

onthewall2983
12-10-2012, 09:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr-lA-Znr-0&feature=g-high-rec

henryeatscereal
12-11-2012, 11:57 AM
god he was young!

onthewall2983
12-14-2012, 07:29 PM
These images from the new album are available to download as wallpaper, in larger sizes here (http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/resources/downloads/#!prettyPhoto).

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/hajo-background-2-10801.jpg

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/hajo-background-3-1080.jpg

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/hajo-background-4-1080.jpg

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/hajo-background-5-1280.jpg

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/hajo-background-6-1280.jpg

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/hajo-background-7-1280.jpg

onthewall2983
12-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Available for pre-order (https://www.burningshed.com/store/stevenwilson/product/65/4461/)

Steven Wilson's supremely ambitious third album The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories) was written between January and July 2012 and recorded in Los Angeles in September.

Steven's current band comprises some of the world's most respected musicians - lead guitarist Guthrie Govan, bassist Nick Beggs, Marco Minnemann on the drums, Theo Travis playing saxophone/flute, and Adam Holzman on keyboards - and has taken his music into new and unexpected directions.

Lyrically based on stories of the supernatural, the record has been engineered by legendary producer/engineer Alan Parsons and contains 6 songs, 3 of which are over 10 minutes long.

This 4 disc deluxe edition of the album is presented in a 128 page hardback book - illustrated by Hajo Mueller -containing lyrics and ghost stories.

CD1 - studio album

CD2 - 7 demo tracks (album tracks plus one unused idea, Clock Song)

DVD-V - 96/24 Stereo LPCM of the album, plus 2 x 5.1 mixes of album (DTS 96/24 5.1 surround & Dolby AC3 5.1 surround)
Art Gallery (images by Hajo Mueller)
Photo Gallery (photographs by Lasse Hoile)
Studio Documentary (filmed and edited by Lasse Hoile)

Blu-Ray - 96/24 Stereo LPCM of the album, plus 2 x 5.1 mixes of album (96/24 5.1 LPCM & DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1)
Instrumental versions of the album tracks (96/24 Stereo LPCM),
bonus track ('Drive Home - lounge version', also 96/24 Stereo LPCM).
Art Gallery (images by Hajo Mueller)
Photo Gallery (photographs by Lasse Hoile)
Studio Documentary (filmed and edited by Lasse Hoile)

henryeatscereal
12-21-2012, 10:16 AM
The shipping is going to rape my wallet, but i really want the 4 disc deluxe ed...

onthewall2983
12-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Me too. And the timing might be good for me to get it now.

onthewall2983
12-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Tour: Steven Wilson USA/Canada Tour 2013

16/04/13 Tampa, Florida The State Theater United States

17/04/13 Atlanta, Georgia The Variety Playhouse United States

19/04/13 Glenside, Philadelphia Keswick Theatre United States

20/04/13 Washington, Washington D.C. Howard Theatre United States

21/04/13 Buffalo, New York Town Ballroom United States

23/04/13 Toronto, Ontario Phoenix Concert Theatre Canada

25/04/13 Montreal, Quebec Club-Soda Canada

26/04/13 New York City, New York Best Buy Theater United States

27/04/13 Boston, Massachusetts Berklee Performance Center United States

30/04/13 Pittsburgh, Philadelphia Mr Small’s United States

02/05/13 Cleveland, Ohio House of Blues Cleveland United States

03/05/13 Chicago, Illinois Park West United States

04/05/13 Minneapolis, Minnesota The Fine Line United States

06/05/13 Boulder, Colorado Boulder Theater United States

09/05/13 San Francisco, California The Fillmore United States

10/05/13 Los Angeles, California Club Nokia United States

14/05/13 Mexico City Teatro Metropolitan Mexico

eversonpoe
12-28-2012, 11:39 AM
sweet! i can usually get in to park west shows for free/discount because i put up their satellite dish! that's where i saw SW last time and it was fucking phenomenal. i can't wait.

henryeatscereal
01-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Steven's update on the tour:

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/new-year-update/

According to the link, he's playing a Porcupine Tree song in his upcoming solo tour!

onthewall2983
01-08-2013, 09:21 AM
The video for the title track will be released later this month. Here (http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/the-raven-that-refused-to-sing-video-stills/) is a look at some stills of the video, directed by Jess Cope (who also did the Storm Corrosion video, and has worked with Tim Burton on some of his recent projects).

blackholesun
01-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Going to try very hard to make it to the SF show.

blackholesun
01-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Drip, drip.

onthewall2983
01-09-2013, 06:00 PM
http://katatonia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/OPETH_SW_1-731x1024.jpg

Trains
01-10-2013, 12:43 PM
That would literally be my dream concert. Shame I live thousands of miles away from NY...

Love the artwork though, the cover from Heritage actually looks better there, slightly more subtle.

henryeatscereal
01-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Gotta say the album is awesome and "Drive Home" is my favorite track right now! (Sorry Steven i couldn't help myself...)

joplinpicasso
01-23-2013, 09:28 PM
How could I pass up going to that Opeth/SW show? Got two tickets! ;) Does the album art remind anyone of David Firth's animation? And does the poster remind anyone of...Majora's Mask? Connections.

onthewall2983
01-24-2013, 11:06 PM
Actually, I'm kind of pissed that it leaked. Yet I couldn't help myself either (financially as well, cancelled the order on the box set but still will purchase it on iTunes and get the Blu eventually). It's a fabulous album. Steven's really hitting his stride with this band. It's pointless trying to compare it to Porcupine Tree, it's a different dynamic there.

henryeatscereal
01-25-2013, 08:21 AM
Actually, I'm kind of pissed that it leaked. Yet I couldn't help myself either (financially as well, cancelled the order on the box set but still will purchase it on iTunes and get the Blu eventually). It's a fabulous album. Steven's really hitting his stride with this band. It's pointless trying to compare it to Porcupine Tree, it's a different dynamic there.
I think he's beyond Porcupine Tree now, you can tell this is what he always wanted for his music (At least that's my opinion)
Anyone who didn't like "Grace for Drowning" (anyone?) will hate this one, this album is even more "70's prog" that the last one and i think he has surpassed "Insurgentes" by far (Still, i like all the 3 albums a lot!)

onthewall2983
01-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Speaking of the Tree, I was shocked to find this (http://www.studiomlive.com/nearfest2001/porcupinetree.html). It's a performance from the 2001 NEARfest. Can't get enough live stuff of the 4-piece years.

henryeatscereal
01-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Even Less!!!

Piko
01-30-2013, 10:15 AM
I think PT might be done for. Steven doesn't seem too willing to go back. And, the more I listen to the new one, the more I love it.

onthewall2983
01-30-2013, 10:43 AM
I think so too. The solo career is just going too well for him. Fortunately the other guys all have stuff they've been doing and playing on. Not as high-profile as with the band, but they're still working and not waiting by the phone for SW to give them studio and/or tour dates. However, I'd imagine Steven will still utilize them as players on other projects and maybe even future solo projects.

Trains
02-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Loved the No-Man retrospective onthewall2983, I went out and bought Together We're Stranger on the strength of your recommendation. Been meaning to give them a try for a while now, but I have to say I'm kind of not getting it. No matter how many times I listen to it I can't get excited about it. I don't know whether it's the fact I can't stand Tim's vocals or if it's the somewhat depressing nature of the music, but something in my brain is not connecting here. To be honest (and I'm going to feel like a massive philistine for saying this) but I doubt I'd give it a second listen if it didn't have SW's name attached to it. I'm all up for stripped back minimalism and I love Wilson's more ambient side (certain tracks from The Incident and Insurgentes, as well as Storm Corrosion for example) but I feel like he's capable than a lot more than a few repeated synth lines and some strummed guitar chords. Who knows, maybe it wasn't the best starting point, or perhaps it's simply not for me.

Trains
02-02-2013, 11:35 AM
Loved the No-Man retrospective onthewall2983, I went out and bought Together We're Stranger on the strength of your recommendation. Been meaning to give them a try for a while now, but I have to say I'm kind of not getting it. No matter how many times I listen to it I can't get excited about it. I don't know whether it's the fact I can't stand Tim's vocals or if it's the somewhat depressing nature of the music, but something in my brain is not connecting here. To be honest (and I'm going to feel like a massive philistine for saying this) but I doubt I'd give it a second listen if it didn't have SW's name attached to it. I'm all up for stripped back minimalism and I love Wilson's more ambient side (certain tracks from The Incident and Insurgentes, as well as Storm Corrosion for example) but I feel like he's capable than a lot more than a few repeated synth lines and some strummed guitar chords. Who knows, maybe it wasn't the best starting point, or perhaps it's simply not for me.

onthewall2983
02-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Probably not the best starting point. I'd recommend Returning Jesus or Schoolyard Ghosts. Those are a little more faster (but not by a whole lot) in comparison.

Trains
02-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Yeah maybe, though I'm not sure if it's the 'slowness' of the record that's bugging me. Perhaps I just need to give it more time.

onthewall2983
02-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Steven announced on his Facebook that Chad Wackerman would be taking over drum duties for the North and South American tours, as Marco is set to tour with Joe Satriani (I know, lame) around that same time.

Extensive interview with Steven about the album (http://www.innerviews.org/inner/wilson2.html). He also says reissues of PT's Yellow Hedgegrow Dreamscape and In Absentia (this one with Blu-ray) are coming this year. Also interviewed are Alan Parsons, Theo Travis and Nick Beggs.

henryeatscereal
02-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Steven announced on his Facebook that Chad Wackerman would be taking over drum duties for the North and South American tours, as Marco is set to tour with Joe Satriani (I know, lame) around that same time.

Extensive interview with Steven about the album (http://www.innerviews.org/inner/wilson2.html). He also says reissues of PT's Yellow Hedgegrow Dreamscape and In Absentia (this one with Blu-ray) are coming this year. Also interviewed are Alan Parsons, Theo Travis and Nick Beggs.
It sucks that Marco wont play around here, he's a monster drummer but the other guy played with Frank frikin Zappa! so there's the lighter side...

In Absentia with Blu Ray? Shut up and Take my Money!!!

henryeatscereal
02-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Video for the track "The Raven that refused to sing":

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/video-gaga/exclusive-porcupine-tree-steven-wilson-releases-debut-video-180525498.html

onthewall2983
02-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Here it is in HD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8sLcvWG1M4

joplinpicasso
02-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Whoa! http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/steven-wilson-talks-the-raven-that-refused-to-sing-and-other-stories-570809/7

onthewall2983
02-10-2013, 06:45 PM
The Storm Corrosion album lost to an album you can't even find on Amazon. Typical.

henryeatscereal
02-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Fuck the Grammys, they know about music as much i know about Phrenology...

onthewall2983
02-10-2013, 11:06 PM
Trent and Atticus winning sort of makes up for this, so I'm not too sore about it. Plus I'm sure he'll be nominated next year for the new album.

My bad, it is actually on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Cool-Blu-ray-Patricia-Barber/dp/B00802EYDO/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header).

onthewall2983
02-14-2013, 09:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt8zX8JB4rw&feature=g-high-rec

Holy shit...

onthewall2983
02-20-2013, 12:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LLmTZuWcRI

onthewall2983
02-26-2013, 11:24 AM
Well, it's come out today and is currently the #1 Rock album on iTunes.

henryeatscereal
02-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Well, it's come out today and is currently the #1 Rock album on iTunes.
As i said before: "The least commercial he gets, the more successful he becomes"
This is bitter/sweet because in a way im starting to lose faith on a Porcupine Tree reunion...

henryeatscereal
03-01-2013, 02:04 PM
<3

http://characternine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Steven+Wilson+coldplay+are+wankers.jpg

onthewall2983
03-01-2013, 02:10 PM
You probably know this, but that was a fan's letter obviously. I think it was at a Blackfield show.

henryeatscereal
03-01-2013, 10:26 PM
You probably know this, but that was a fan's letter obviously. I think it was at a Blackfield show.
I know it was a fan-letter and i heard he showed it at a gig, still i find very funny (and odd too!) that Steven "endorsed" the fan's opinion, i guess he couldn't help himself...

eversonpoe
03-01-2013, 11:31 PM
got the new album yesterday and i love it so far. haven't had a chance to listen in 5.1, yet.

profane
03-02-2013, 03:53 AM
That picture has me questioning my sexuality. I'm weirdly aroused by it.

eversonpoe
03-05-2013, 03:43 PM
ok, now i'm listening in DTS 96/24 5.1 and HOLY FUCKING SHIT this album is amazing.

Reaps
03-05-2013, 03:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt8zX8JB4rw&amp;feature=g-high-rec

Holy shit...

I did that with NIN's A Warm Place, 30 glorious minutes..

Anyway. New Raven album is rather splendid, though with every successful SW release it seems less and less likely of anything PT related coming this way soon.

eversonpoe
03-05-2013, 04:21 PM
I did that with NIN's A Warm Place, 30 glorious minutes..

Anyway. New Raven album is rather splendid, though with every successful SW release it seems less and less likely of anything PT related coming this way soon.

i wish there was a mac version of the program that will allow you to time-stretch audio like that...

also, i'd honestly be ok with no more PT stuff. i feel like steven has been going in a direction i enjoy quite a bit more, but the incident was also a pretty great album on which to end a band's run.

onthewall2983
03-08-2013, 12:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&amp;v=ZElSmdG1rnA

henryeatscereal
03-08-2013, 01:34 PM
I couldn't resist and i took a peek to the recent set lists... let's just say im very hyped and impressed!

onthewall2983
03-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Blu-ray.com review (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Raven-That-Refused-to-Sing-Blu-ray/63638/#Review), for anyone curious about the 5.1 mix which I've heard is very very good.

onthewall2983
04-16-2013, 02:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hp6lYx4Fvw

theSplinter04
04-16-2013, 05:41 PM
beautiful.

onthewall2983
04-16-2013, 10:02 PM
Not sure I get why Steven picks up the bass towards the end (other than to possibly show off, that's four instrument changes in one freaking song!). I suppose I should do a review of the album soon. It's been on my mind a little lately.

henryeatscereal
04-17-2013, 09:00 AM
The album it's so perfect it's sickening, Lol...

joplinpicasso
04-17-2013, 09:55 AM
I'm going to that Opeth/SW show in Albany next weekend. Sweet mercy, I'm looking forward to that.

onthewall2983
04-17-2013, 10:14 AM
That's awesome! (utterly, utterly jealous). Tell us all about it when you get back, please.

onthewall2983
04-17-2013, 11:58 AM
Per Marco Minnemann's Facebook page:

It's a long story, something very important has come up.
So..... please note that I actually WILL now be playing the entire US/Canada tour with STEVEN WILSON, starting from April 19th in Philadelphia.
Thank you
--MM

and...

Since many of you asked: ....YES...I now will be doing the STEVEN WILSON USA/Canada shows starting from Philadelphia on.
And just to clarify: The JOE SATRIANI and ARISTOCRATS tours will also happen as planned.
Thanks and see you soon,
--MM

joplinpicasso
04-29-2013, 06:41 PM
One of the tightest shows I've ever seen! Steve and his band were so on point it was spine-tingling. I know he's currently working with some of the best musicians in their disciplines around but I'm blanking on their names besides Guthrie Govan (who was amazing). I couldn't take any good pictures because of Steve's no-photo policy, but the killer setlist was as follows:

Luminol (Steve was so animated during this one — real rock band frontman-type stuff)
Drive Home
The Holy Drinker
The Watchmaker (through people for a loop but definitely pleased the metalheads)
Harmony Korine (definitely caught people off guard when he mentioned it was about the director of 'Spring Breakers')
Raider II (So fucking surprised that he whipped this out. He warned that it was a long piece and politely asked for silence during the "pretentious pauses")
The Raven The Refused To Sing

I already felt that I had gotten my ticket and travel money's worth...and then Opeth came on and went all out. Mikael was hilarious as usual — too many great quotes to mention (I'll edit this post later). For those curious:

The Devil's Orchard
Ghost of Perdition
Atonement
Deliverance
Hessian Peel
Haxprocess
Demon of the Fall (acoustic)
--fake encore with the band remaining on stage--
Blackwater Park

Katatonia were pretty solid, too! A bit disappointed that SW didn't come out on stage during the very end to do something cool with Opeth or Mikael but it was definitely one of the highest quality shows to which I've been.

eversonpoe
05-04-2013, 08:17 AM
oh, man...the show last night was even better than the last time i saw him.

they played the entirety of the new album along with raider II, postcard, deform to form a star, grace for drowning, harmony korine, and sectarian. (i don't remember the exact order, though). when they came back for an encore, steven described how the first three porcupine tree albums were essentially "solo" albums, and proceeded to play radioactive toy, at which point i headed out since they had already been playing for two hours. i kind of wish i had stayed to see what else they did...

anyway, it was a great show. steven was hilarious in between songs, especially when he was describing his mistake of reading some amazon reviews of the new album. there was one he described in which the reviewer was praising it and saying lots of good things until he used the phrase "Tolkien-esque lyrics," which caused the entire audience to crack up.

also, Nick, the bassist, was awesome. he's probably my favorite member of the band. he not only looks like a cross between young edgar winter and alexander gudnov (the giant scary german guy from die hard), but his backup vocals were put through processing to sound like a whole group of backup singers (and routed to the rear speakers, along with some sound design elements), and he was just a lot of fun to watch.

pulse
05-04-2013, 08:31 AM
One of the tightest shows I've ever seen! Steve and his band were so on point it was spine-tingling. I know he's currently working with some of the best musicians in their disciplines around but I'm blanking on their names besides Guthrie Govan (who was amazing). I couldn't take any good pictures because of Steve's no-photo policy, but the killer setlist was as follows:

Luminol (Steve was so animated during this one — real rock band frontman-type stuff)
Drive Home
The Holy Drinker
The Watchmaker (through people for a loop but definitely pleased the metalheads)
Harmony Korine (definitely caught people off guard when he mentioned it was about the director of 'Spring Breakers')
Raider II (So fucking surprised that he whipped this out. He warned that it was a long piece and politely asked for silence during the "pretentious pauses")
The Raven The Refused To Sing

I already felt that I had gotten my ticket and travel money's worth...and then Opeth came on and went all out. Mikael was hilarious as usual — too many great quotes to mention (I'll edit this post later). For those curious:

The Devil's Orchard
Ghost of Perdition
Atonement
Deliverance
Hessian Peel
Haxprocess
Demon of the Fall (acoustic)
--fake encore with the band remaining on stage--
Blackwater Park

Katatonia were pretty solid, too! A bit disappointed that SW didn't come out on stage during the very end to do something cool with Opeth or Mikael but it was definitely one of the highest quality shows to which I've been.

Whoever saw this show can go fuck themselves. Seriously... There is no other concert in 2013 that will even remotely come close to that awesomeness. You got to see Opeth perform Ghost of Perdition and Blackwater Park after seeing Steven Wilson? I hate you.

Edit: I'm not joking :(

I'm lying. I don't hate you. Lucky pricks!

onthewall2983
05-04-2013, 09:16 PM
http://www.soundofcontact.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/560194_493435880724287_617015486_n.jpg

Far more jealous of the people who are going to see this. I dig Pineapple Thief, love Crippled Black Phoenix, have recently discovered the old Caravan records, and am a little psyched for Sound of Contact's (Simon Collins' new band, with John Wesley on guitar) debut album.

wizfan
05-04-2013, 09:21 PM
Same here. :((((

henryeatscereal
05-05-2013, 07:49 PM
So, the reissue for the "Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape" is officially up to pre-order, it will include a six panel digipack and a booklet full with lyrics and info... Shut up and take my money! (obviously)
(http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/headphonedust/porcupine-tree-yellow-hedgerow-dreamscape-cd/)

PS: 9 days till i watch him perform live for the 5th time in my life, so happy!!!

onthewall2983
05-09-2013, 03:40 PM
I could take or leave the new PT release, actually. Not really crazy about the pre-Up The Downstair ​stuff.

henryeatscereal
05-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Even Steven (cool rhyme) said is better to: "Lower your sonic and musical expectations for these experiments", i agree with him, and i do think his early stuff lacked of technique and production values, but it is rich in creativity and experimentation and to this day i find "On the sunday of life" a very intriguing album, so im happy he's releasing "Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape", i guess im a fan from hell!

onthewall2983
05-11-2013, 09:37 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/936918_571062139580719_1311132198_n.jpg

SW with Rob Trujillo (and wife) of Metallica at last night's show in L.A.

henryeatscereal
05-12-2013, 01:29 AM
Cool shirts!

henryeatscereal
05-13-2013, 01:16 PM
Im watching him tomorrow night, woooooo!!!

just because im happy here's a pic of Steven Gavin and Collin hating the mexican bootleg T-shirts :P

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/45135633/Porcupine+Tree+Mexican+Merchandise.jpg

onthewall2983
05-13-2013, 03:58 PM
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/54356459/Steven+Wilson+audio+engineer.jpg

henryeatscereal
05-13-2013, 04:31 PM
100% pure "Blackfield blend"

http://www.mostlypink.net/pics/blackfield.jpg

onthewall2983
05-18-2013, 10:56 PM
How was the show henry?

henryeatscereal
05-19-2013, 11:50 AM
How was the show henry?
Fuckin awesome thanks for asking! I've been a bit busy so i wasn't been able to post something decent the last few days, so i'll do it while im having breakfast, lol...

The set was killer and very similar to the last ones from the north-america dates, still i wanted to listen to "Ljudet Innan" and that did not happen, this is my sole complaint (don't know if he was tired or why it was thrown out of the set...), still im so grateful i got to listen to "Radioactive Toy" live (beautiful and awesome "cover").

My favorites were: "Luminol", "Postcard", "The Watchmaker" (beautiful visuals in this one), "Insurgentes", "Raven that refused..." and "Radioactive Toy", last's years stuff sounded a bit different yet great, obviously because the inclusion of Guthrie and Chad...

Chad Wackerman did an awesome job by the way, still i like Marco a bit more since he's more dynamic, Guthrie is a monster, killer as a guitar player!!!

The show was less "perfect" than last year's yet they played as the greats...
I felt they weren't stressed as last year and they just enjoyed, letting themselves go and even doing more improv, that gave the show a different "taste" plus they showed us the big quality they have as a musicians but also showed us that they can have fun!

We even we had our very own "SpinalTap-esque moment" because the band played with rented amps (Steven said before playing "Raider II": "We're playing with rented equipment tonight, that's so unprofessional i know..." "I fucking hate Marshall amps...", You could see he was bummed but also very happy; of course i was laughing my ass off!), this gave the show a different and less serious tone to the one it had last year and it reminded us that he's an awesome musician and a very complex technician but he can also have fun and have sense of humour about himself...

Steven was awesome to us he even dedicated to us a big "I love you" in spanish, you could tell he was very happy to be in Mexico, and the audience appreciated that a lot!!!

The show was great, this wasn't better nor worse than last years just different and im so thankful i got to be there, the stuff from the "Raven that refused to sing" it's awesome live and im glad he's still experimenting and perfecting his live act, he's one of the best musicians i've ever had the pleasure to listen to live and im preparing already to watch him for the sixth time in my life and so and so...

onthewall2983
05-19-2013, 01:27 PM
The set was killer and very similar to the last ones from the north-america dates, still i wanted to listen to "Ljudet Innan" and that did not happen, this is my sole complaint (don't know if he was tired or why it was thrown out of the set...), still im so grateful i got to listen to "Radioactive Toy" live (beautiful and awesome "cover").

From how it reads on setlists, it sounds like "Ljudet Innan" is just played over the PA as everyone files out.

henryeatscereal
05-20-2013, 10:54 AM
oh, than it's my bad, i did saw one setlist and i thought he played it, i still want to listen the "Storm Corrosion" stuff live someday!

onthewall2983
05-20-2013, 02:28 PM
I can't imagine how that's possible unless it's in a smaller venue. Then again, Steven has performed as Bass Communion live so maybe if him and Mikael did it in some of those venues it's possible.

onthewall2983
06-08-2013, 02:30 AM
Blackfield IV pre-order details (https://www.burningshed.com/store/kscope/product/272/4816). Steven's playing and singing on several tracks, but if there's a tour it's a good guess he won't be part of it.

henryeatscereal
06-08-2013, 10:18 AM
Im still attending if there's a tour... my favorite Blackfield is "Welcome to my DNA" and Steven had little to do with that one, Aviv is doing a good job keeping Blackfield alive! plus i would love to watch a Steven Wilson concert with Blackfiled as opener or maybe a No-Man/Blackfield double concert?

onthewall2983
06-14-2013, 04:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&amp;v=SZtZIUgY0IM#!

henryeatscereal
06-14-2013, 05:04 PM
great, now im crying again...

Ax Mr. L
06-19-2013, 05:48 PM
http://www.kscopemusic.com/blackfield/iv/

Blackfield is releasing new album "IV" on August 26th.

Tracklist:

1. Pills
2. Springtime
3. X-Ray (feat. Vincent Cavanagh - Anathema)
4. Sense of Insanity
5. Firefly (feat. Brett Anderson - Suede)
6. The Only Fool is Me (feat. Jonathan Donahue - Mercury Rev)
7. Jupiter
8. Kissed by the Devil
9. Lost Souls
10. Faking
11. After the Rain

onthewall2983
07-03-2013, 03:04 AM
Steven shared the following on his Facebook a few weeks ago, about some of his new work as a surround-sound mixer for other artists.

A press release from Panegyric:

XTC and Yes to join the roster of acclaimed King Crimson reissues via the Panegyric label in 2013.

Panegyric, the label responsible for issuing DGM's acclaimed King Crimson 40th Anniversary Edition sets, has announced that it will be issuing new archive CD/DVD-A & CD/Blu-Ray editions by XTC starting with Nonsuch and Yes with Close To The Edge. Both albums will feature additional tracks and new stereo/surround sound mixes by Steven Wilson.

September:

XTC - Nonsuch - available in two editions - CD/DVD-A & CD/Blu-Ray.

Ape House will issue the first in a series of XTC releases with Hi-res stereo original mixes, new stereo & 5.1 mixes plus additional music & (on Blu-Ray) video footage.

October:

King Crimson - The Road to Red - Limited edition, multi CD, DVD-A/Blu-Ray boxed set.

DGM has assembled a set focusing on the final North American tour of 1974. Though edited portions of this tour was documented on 1992's The Great Deceiver, the bulk of The Road To Red is previously unreleased on CD and will include new hi-res transfers from original analogue tape mixes of complete, unedited concerts. Also included in the set is a new stereo mix of Red by Robert Fripp & Steven Wilson.

October:

Yes - Close to the Edge - available in CD/DVD-A & CD/Blu-Ray editions.

Panegyric will issue the first in a series of Yes releases with Hi-res stereo original mixes, new stereo & 5.1 mixes plus additional tracks.

News of further releases by all of the above bands to follow.

I am absolutely overjoyed that he is starting to work on Yes' stuff now. Close To The Edge is an absolute benchmark for the band and progressive rock as a whole.

eversonpoe
07-03-2013, 09:12 AM
but when are Beat and Three Of A Perfect Pair coming out? they're the only two pre-90s/00s King Crimson albums left to do, and they're SO GOOD. i just want to hear them in 5.1 and complete my collection...

though, the road to red sounds pretty intriguing.

onthewall2983
07-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Jakko Jakszyk, a recent collaborator with Fripp, is working on 5.1 mixes for those last I heard.

eversonpoe
07-03-2013, 01:56 PM
i thought he was just doing "thrak" through "the power to believe" and that steven had finished the mixes for beat & three of a perfect pair, but they just aren't releasing them yet...

onthewall2983
07-03-2013, 02:21 PM
I think you're right there, so no I have no clue what's holding them up other than Steven's busy schedule. The Road to Red set is something like 20 CD's, 1 DVD and 2 Blu-rays.

Jon
07-03-2013, 03:14 PM
The Road to Red set is something like 20 CD's, 1 DVD and 2 Blu-rays.

Between this, Grateful Dead's May 1977 box set, and the upcoming Pumpkins' Aeroplane set, this has been a rewarding year for me.

Here's the 'Road To Red' Q & A for those that haven't seen it (http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=222689). I linked to the blu-ray.com forums because it's easier.

henryeatscereal
07-03-2013, 08:34 PM
I was aware Steven is a big fan of XTC, yet i didn't expect him to remaster their discography, im glad because they are a very underrated band that deserve better from the mainstream/critics...

oh and this photo made my day:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/p480x480/1044621_594004057286527_451392097_n.jpg

onthewall2983
07-10-2013, 09:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stYqszyPekk

onthewall2983
07-19-2013, 04:52 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/602472_601455729874693_972038749_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/17621_601455713208028_562689691_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/999484_601455719874694_955822064_n.jpg

Jess Cope is currently working on a new animated video for the song "Drive Home" from the current album, which will be released as the lead track on an EP in October. The film will also be part of the revamped live show that will be on the road from mid October. Here are some work in progress stills....

This looks great. The color scheme matches perfectly with the song.

henryeatscereal
07-19-2013, 11:47 AM
My favorite from the album, hands down! looking forward to this one, i hope a video for "The Holy drinker" also gets made!

onthewall2983
07-25-2013, 10:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnHJR9auE3o

onthewall2983
08-04-2013, 02:16 AM
Details for King Crimson's The Road To Red boxset (https://www.burningshed.com/store/kingcrimson/multiproduct/313/3884/), XTC's Nonsuch CD/Blu-ray set (https://www.burningshed.com/store/panegyric/product/340/4999) and Yes' Close To The Edge CD/Blu. (https://www.burningshed.com/store/progressive/product/494/5002/)

wizfan
08-04-2013, 04:12 AM
What is the "Close to the Edge" bonus track on the CD? An alternative version, perhaps?

onthewall2983
08-04-2013, 04:53 AM
The website says it's an early mix.

wizfan
08-04-2013, 04:55 AM
D'oh! Completely missed that.

onthewall2983
08-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Update from his Facebook

Things have been quieter than usual over the last 2 months, just a few festival appearances, but things will soon be gearing up again. Firstly I've written some new material for the first time in over a year - still a long way to go before any new album will take shape (aiming to record next Summer I think), but in the meantime we may premiere something pretty long on the European tour starting in mid October. Lasse Hoile has been over filming new visual content for the show, and we did a few photos at the same time, see attached. Jess Cope is also working on a new animated film for Drive Home. There will be a video EP out in time for the tour, which will include this, as well as the earlier video Jess made for The Raven that Refused to Sing, and a couple of live songs filmed in Frankfurt in March this year (different to the ones we already put on YouTube).

Later this month the new Blackfield album "IV" is released - though I'm involved more as a guest rather than a collaborator this time, Aviv has written and produced a set of beautifully melancholic songs which have that recognisably warm and distinctive Blackfield sound. I sing lead vocals on a song called "Jupiter", which you may have already seen the fantastic sand-art video for.

Last but not least, several remixes of classic albums are being released in October (done over a very long period of time, so it's coincidence that they all seem to be coming out on top of each other!) Yes (official) "Close to the Edge", XTC "Nonsuch", Jethro Tull "Benefit", and King Crimson "Red" were all remixed from the master tapes into stereo and 5.1 (except Red which is a new stereo mix only). I notice these releases referred to as "remasters" quite a lot on the internet, but what I do is remix, which is a very different and much deeper process that involves actually going back to the multitrack session tapes and rebalancing the instruments and recreating the whole sound picture. In fact most of my mixes these days are released without any mastering at all, I prefer it that way. (-:

onthewall2983
08-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Blu-ray/CD

https://sphotos-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1175532_619827384704194_1751430960_n.jpg

CD/DVD

https://sphotos-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1176382_619829371370662_73451648_n.jpg

onthewall2983
08-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Blackfield IV isn't very special apart from it being only 31 minutes, making it the shortest full album SW has been involved with. His involvement is fairly limited compared to the previous albums (apart from the two songs he sings lead on), but it does retain a little variety due to the guest vocalists involved. The surprising thing is that on those songs, the vocalists pretty much are the focus and neither SW or Aviv do much other than the occasional harmony.

henryeatscereal
08-26-2013, 11:07 PM
Blackfield IV isn't very special apart from it being only 31 minutes, making it the shortest full album SW has been involved with. His involvement is fairly limited compared to the previous albums (apart from the two songs he sings lead on), but it does retain a little variety due to the guest vocalists involved. The surprising thing is that on those songs, the vocalists pretty much are the focus and neither SW or Aviv do much other than the occasional harmony.
So, you like "Welcome to my DNA" better?
Sometimes i feel ashamed to say that's my favorite Blackfield release so far...

onthewall2983
08-26-2013, 11:12 PM
I really just prefer several songs from the first two, and a few from DNA. I'm often disappointed at the lack of major mainstream interest in Steven's work, but that it extends to Blackfield too is downright surprising. It probably speaks to the state of the industry, but if they started in the 80's or 90's they would have been pretty big.

henryeatscereal
08-26-2013, 11:26 PM
Blackfield is a nice group, i don't find them "essential" as you said but they have that "Wilson seal", that makes it listenable and intriguing...

In a way i consider Blackfield an extension of "Lightbulb Sun" (oddly enough is also one of my favorite Porcupine Tree albums....)

onthewall2983
08-27-2013, 12:18 AM
What I'm surprised about is that Aviv is the one still hanging on. He is huge in Israel and other parts of the world (and he has friends in pretty high places, Coldplay released a video wishing him a happy birthday and he's sung on stage with U2), and does make solo records but is still in this group that is highly dependent upon SW's free time more and more lately.

onthewall2983
08-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Info on the Drive Home ​single.

Here are the full contents of the Drive Home video EP - it will be released on Kscope in both Blu-Ray/CD and DVD/CD combinations in October.

Blu-Ray / DVD (running time: 30m video + 11m audio only)

Drive Home (video)
The Raven that Refused to Sing (video)
The Holy Drinker (live in Frankfurt)
Insurgentes (live in Frankfurt)
The Birthday Party (audio only)
The Raven that Refused to Sing (orchestral mix - audio only)

CD (running time: 30m)

Drive Home (4.08 edit)
The Birthday Party
The Raven that Refused to Sing (orchestral mix)

Here are some pre-emptive answers to possible questions (I tried to think of everything!) :

The new Drive Home video is directed by Jess Cope who also did the beautiful and much acclaimed video to The Raven that Refused to Sing. The video will also be released on the internet.

The all new cover artwork is by Hajo Mueller, based on the characters from the video.

The Birthday Party is an additional (mainly instrumental) song from the sessions for The Raven that Refused to Sing.

All the songs on the Blu-Ray and DVD are mixed in both stereo and 5.1 sound, including the 2 audio only titles.

The audio on the Blu-Ray is full lossless 96/24 throughout.

There won't be any other DVD release from The Raven that Refused to Sing tour.

The CD duplicates most of the contents from the video disc for ease of home/in car listening.

The video for the Raven that Refused to Sing could not previously have been included on the Blu-Ray of the album because it was not ready in time.

There won't be a vinyl edition.

As with the album the audio is again flat transferred from the mixes, no mastering was done.

Despite being a double disc, I wanted it to be priced as an EP, so hopefully very reasonably - I'm waiting for the record company to confirm prices.

The video is for the full length album version of Drive Home, the edit only appears on the CD.

onthewall2983
08-27-2013, 08:20 PM
Some revised info on the EP

Due to a lot of requests the 2 live songs from Frankfurt currently on the official YouTube channel, The Watchmaker and The Raven that Refused to Sing, are being added to the Drive Home release. The DVD/BD now runs for one hour, and the CD for 50 minutes. Hmm... I might have a hard time persuading the record company that this is still an EP (-;
The revised running order:
DVD/BD
Drive Home (video)
The Raven that Refused to Sing (video)
The Watchmaker (live in Frankfurt)
The Raven that Refused to Sing (live in Frankfurt)
The Birthday Party (audio only)
The Raven that Refused to Sing (orchestral mix - audio only)

CD
Drive Home (4.08 edit)
The Birthday Party
The Raven that Refused to Sing (orchestral mix)
The Watchmaker (live in Frankfurt)
The Raven that Refused to Sing (live in Frankfurt)

pulse
09-05-2013, 03:58 PM
The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Short Stories) has won Progressive Rock Album of the Year for 2013 (http://www.progrockmag.com/news/2013-progressive-music-awards-the-story-of-the-night/) at the annual Prog Rock Magazine Awards. Congratulations to Mr. Wilson.

Piko
09-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Finally heard Blackfield IV a few days ago. Not bad. It definitely shows how little SW was involved. Not sure why Aviv decided on guest vocalists though. He seems more than capable of just singing the lead parts. Jupiter is all sorts of amazing.

onthewall2983
09-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Aviv and Steven miming "Jupiter" for German TV (http://mediathek.daserste.de/sendungen_a-z/435054_morgenmagazin/17000694_musik-live-blackfield?buchstabe=M), in what sadly is probably SW's sole "live" performance with Blackfield for the forseeable future.

onthewall2983
09-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Drive Home CD+DVD pre-order (https://www.burningshed.com/store/kscope/product/272/5094) and CD+Blu pre-order (https://www.burningshed.com/store/stevenwilson/product/65/5095).

eversonpoe
09-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Drive Home CD+DVD pre-order (https://www.burningshed.com/store/kscope/product/272/5094) and CD+Blu pre-order (https://www.burningshed.com/store/kscope/product/272/5094).

i want the blu-ray for the higher-resolution audio...but i hate blu-ray cases so much, and i love mini-LP-style CD/DVD cases...ARGH!

henryeatscereal
09-12-2013, 10:31 AM
i want the blu-ray for the higher-resolution audio...but i hate blu-ray cases so much, and i love mini-LP-style CD/DVD cases...ARGH!
Im having the same issue, in a way i don't want to buy DVD's anymore because im favoring the Blu-Ray in my collection but the packaging of the DVD is more convenient and i like it more too...!

onthewall2983
09-13-2013, 08:50 PM
The Blu for me definitely, but I would have preferred to have it in the mini-LP style packaging (it could be for all we know, sometimes those pics are misleading).

eversonpoe
09-13-2013, 11:27 PM
The Blu for me definitely, but I would have preferred to have it in the mini-LP style packaging (it could be for all we know, sometimes those pics are misleading).

it's not just the pictures, the cd/dvd version actually states that it comes in mini-lp packaging, whereas the blu-ray makes no mention of the packaging.

onthewall2983
09-20-2013, 11:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf4ejxFXTRU

henryeatscereal
09-20-2013, 11:29 AM
^too early to cry, dammit...

Lerxto
09-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Great video. I was never into his music before, but his solo songs are much better, IMO. Listening to Blackfield first was a bad choice.
So, which Steven Wilson (or Porcupine Tree) albums should I listen first? Can anyone here recommend me some?

onthewall2983
09-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Porcupine Tree: In Absentia, Deadwing, and Fear Of A Blank Planet (as well as the Nil Recurring EP) at first. They best represent the band's flirtation with heavy metal. Then I'd move onto earlier records like Signify, Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun. This is where Steven came into his own as a writer I feel, going into a more song-orientated direction. They still have a lot of space and atmosphere. Last, I'd say get into Up The Downstair and The Sky Moves Sideways. These were the last records of Porcupine Tree as a solo project of Steven's, with gradual involvement from the band. It's way more electronic-sounding, with SW's psychedelic guitar playing for good measure.

Solo-wise: Get all of them, but my personal favorite is Insurgentes.

henryeatscereal
09-20-2013, 08:24 PM
^What he said: he's the expert...

I started with "Deadwing" and went "up" from there... I also think the live album "Warsawa" is a good place for PT beginners...

onthewall2983
10-14-2013, 06:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytBLujGnYL8

Lerxto
10-17-2013, 08:11 AM
https://soundcloud.com/kscopemusic/steven-wilson-the-birthday
Soundcloud link for 'The Birthday', from the upcoming Drive Home EP.

+) My blu+cd pre-order shipped today. Can't wait!

onthewall2983
10-19-2013, 03:26 AM
Tour spoilers, in case anyone is going to his upcoming shows this month.

According to recent setlists, he's premiered two new tracks "Ancestral" (described as 15 minutes long) and "Break It (And It's Yours)". And he's been opening shows with an acoustic version of "Trains".

Lerxto
10-19-2013, 04:05 AM
Tour spoilers, in case anyone is going to his upcoming shows this month.

According to recent setlists, he's premiered two new tracks "Ancestral" (described as 15 minutes long) and "Break It (And It's Yours)". And he's been opening shows with an acoustic version of "Trains".
Hope he's planning to release a decent live album for this tour, too. :)

onthewall2983
10-21-2013, 08:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK-aG6px9dw

Lerxto
10-23-2013, 02:35 AM
The blu+EP arrived today. Live videos are amazing, so as the Raven orchestral version. Love the new song, too.

BTW, does Steven usually provide lyrics in his booklet? The lyrics on the internet seem very inaccurate.

onthewall2983
11-19-2013, 10:48 PM
Contrary to his minimal creative involvement on their last record, Steven will be touring with Blackfield on a number of European dates in February.

onthewall2983
12-07-2013, 12:10 AM
Grammy nominations were announced tonight. If anyone cares, Raven was not included in the nominees for Best Surround Mix.