PDA

View Full Version : as good as blind

Amaro
09-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Running.

One of my current favorites from HM. More than anything I would feel a lot of The Fragile here, particularly the way Trent sounds, along the vocal treatments, some of the instrumentation as well, but really it's a true HM track. Yes.

The song is pretty dense with sounds, a solid orchestration. There's a lot to appreciate, and I really do. It sits next to more fleshed-out songs, for that I believe it gets a little misunderstood, and in other cases better understood for the same reason. I find its place on the record is great; it helps the latter half out a lot in variance, and it's oddly a very satisfying tune.

While I'm not that much into Thom Yorke or a mega fan of Josh Homme (not emotionally invested), I can still see some of their familiarities across this song, the distinct pace of the song to TY type stuff, and mostly JH kinda channeled in the last vocal melody, for me. (I don't think his name was ever mentioned when it came to this song, unlike TY.) More so than TY there, probably simply because TY's whole voice quality is far different from anybody's on planet Earth.

Anyway...TRENT nails it completely on this one.

The small vocal note changes on the choruses get me so, I dunno why...

One of them in particular is @ 1:12 -- "I'm running out of places..."

And later on, separately--the subtly animated, kind-of whispering vocals conveying a lack of oxygen in the final breakdown(?)...pretty cool.

Dimitri.
09-02-2013, 02:11 PM
This song has really grew on me. It didn't caught my attention during the first listens, but it's really a solid track.
Too bad he didn't use the lyric "I'm running out of ways to keep on hiding this" in the chorus.

digshake
09-02-2013, 03:02 PM
This is a great track. Its rhythms, lots and lots of rhythms stacked on top of each other. Lyrics aren't terribly complex which is a great thing because you can stop processing them and interpret Trent's voice as yet another rhythm. I take a different path through this song every time I listen to it.

gorast
09-02-2013, 03:10 PM
I absolutely love the pre-chorus where Trent's voice is all around you when listening with headphones. Running would be an incredible track to hear live.

slave2thewage
09-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Funnily enough, I hear Lady Gaga in this. Reminds me of "Teeth", for some reason.

fillow
09-10-2013, 04:34 AM
This song would fit perfectly on Niggy Tardust album

Microwave Jellyfish
09-10-2013, 07:02 AM
Anyway...TRENT nails it completely on this one.

The small vocal note changes on the choruses get me so, I dunno why...

One of them in particular is @ 1:12 -- "I'm running out of places..."

And later on, separately--the subtly animated, kind-of whispering vocals conveying a lack of oxygen in the final breakdown(?)...pretty cool.
Feel free to facepalm this post, but: ha-ha-ha, you said nails!

Running was one of the growers for me, but now I like it quite a bit. I agree on the chorus changes, those little variations seem to turn the tone more personal minute by minute.

ComradeCornhole
09-10-2013, 10:58 AM
This has probably been stated elsewhere, but the rhythm and small percussion parts remind me of "The Believers", which just makes my day.

Bluebird
09-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Really like this one. Similarly to your appreciation of the little vocal variations in the chorus, I fucking love when Trent sort of trips over his own words when he's repeating "I'm running out..." @ 3:42 and then BANG - drums kick in again and the badass outro begins...yeahhhhh