PDA

View Full Version : Nature is violent

joplinpicasso
09-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Is that even the official lyric? I don't know, but I do know that "In Two" is an amazing piece of art-rock-industrial-pop. Flame me for that phrase! Just remember that we couldn't have asked for a cooler climax to Hesitation Marks. Rekindles old NIN fires while pushing new boundaries. Gorgeously gritty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh00MY_qycA

Like that "All Time Low" thread, this thread is dedicated to track no. 12 from the new album!

InvitingmeAway
09-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Yes that is the official lyric. Great song, love it's placement on the record. The whole last half of the record is so great, it never let's go of you Once you hit Satellite you are guaranteed to soak in the rest of the album. Seems like Trent always has some of the best songs at the end of his records. Reptile, TDS, Hurt and Even Deeper, TGB on the left and I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally, The Big Come Down, Ripe [With Decay] on the right. TLBTB, BYIT and Right Where It Belongs on With Teeth etc....

joplinpicasso
09-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Highly agreed. Who else feels like Robin's gremlin vocals would do this song a big favor in the live setting?

Amaro
09-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Highly agreed. Who else feels like Robin's gremlin vocals would do this song a big favor in the live setting?

They would and they will.

This song is great. The most surprising track from HM for me. Old NIN sound, and it's executed perfectly.

Shadaloo
09-02-2013, 10:11 PM
TR sounds ten years younger on this track than anywhere else on the album.

joplinpicasso
09-02-2013, 10:47 PM
Whooaa, Eugene from Autolux is on this? Kickin' hard.

Mr.Benjamin
09-03-2013, 12:55 AM
That bridge with the guitar and then the sound of fireworks. Nuff said.

JessicaSarahS
09-03-2013, 02:11 PM
This song is perfect.

jesus
09-03-2013, 02:34 PM
the best song in the album, damn maybe the best NIN song of the last 4 albums

hobochic
09-03-2013, 02:47 PM
In this thread I shall reside. I love this track and want Trent to go further down this path. It has all the qualities of NIN I ever loved, from Broken (HIS) to TDS (Heresy, Mr.SD, Ruiner) to TF. The demonic electrovox and the falsetto choir is the long awaited climax I've been longing for. Well done.

Kamelion
09-03-2013, 03:06 PM
This song blows me away every time I hear it. I love I Would For You so much that I always forget what's coming next. That transition into In Two is so fucking incredible. Favourite bit of the album right now :).

joplinpicasso
09-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Leave them behind. You are free.

chroipahtz
09-04-2013, 12:17 PM
It's been over a week now since I first heard this song, but my enjoyment of it has only waned a tiny bit. I'm pretty close to declaring it my favorite NIN song, period. Blasphemous? Maybe. But, by God this song is good.

scorpiusdiamond
09-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Reminds me only sliiightly of..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CpRCc4Jre8

FernandoDante
09-05-2013, 01:28 PM
One of my favorite songs on HM, but I'm kinda irked about "nature is violence" and the way Trent's voice sounds during that bit.

chroipahtz
09-05-2013, 01:30 PM
One of my favorite songs on HM, but I'm kinda irked about "nature is violence" and the way Trent's voice sounds during that bit.
Another instance of "gettt yerrrr techno outta my nine inch nails"?

botley
09-05-2013, 03:07 PM
What I love about reading people's reactions to this record is how clearly and distinctly some musical biases and prejudices come out. I think Year Zero was the last time I thought "shit, this is killing me, where are the clever lyrics and strong top melodies?" Whereas the electronic heaviness was just "oh, that's pretty cool". This new shit has BOTH.

richardp
09-05-2013, 04:10 PM
This song could easily fit right into The Fragile (Right), in my opinion.

OSLIN
09-05-2013, 04:16 PM
I don't have any in-depth song analysis, but every listen makes me want to screech like a pterodactyl in heat.

hobochic
09-05-2013, 05:37 PM
I just realized that the buzzing noise behind the bass/guitar section in the middle (02:57) seems to be sampled straight from Hurt's outro noise – but in a pulse.

Transfixed
09-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Best song on the album. The long, Fragile-esque segment at the end "I just don't know anymore" building and building and building into that explosive finale IS the best part of the entire record.
Disagree and ye shall perish.

captainbeyond
09-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Best song on the album. The long, Fragile-esque segment at the end "I just don't know anymore" building and building and building into that explosive finale IS the best part of the entire record.
Disagree and ye shall perish.

Agree 1000000%. I'm very surprised by the lack of comparisons to this moment and the end of "Beside You In Time." I remember when we got that first With Teeth preview and it was a clip of climax of "Beside You In Time" and I was so fucking excited to hear something like that. If Trent had released a Hesitation Marks promo clip back in May and used the climax of "In Two" as the music. Holy shit. I can't even imagine how I would have felt. I'm telling you, this will be the song where the visual climax will happen on the Tension tour.

The transition from the vocoder part into the falsetto chorus is absolutely magical. Something about that shift hits a spot in my brain. I love the vocoder part. Exactly the type of shit I want to be hearing from TR.

Also, the way the bass sounds in that "chorus" riff. I gotta say, I didn't even think of Eugene from Autolux being on this song after my first dozen listens but I can tell that has to be him. He had one of the meanest, fattest, yet clearest bass tones I'd ever heard live. Also, Lindsey Buckingham's part during the bridge is perfect.

voidnz
09-05-2013, 09:47 PM
I wish the "nature is violent" bit was repeated in the song. Maybe it's good that i'm left wanting more. Still probably my favourite or second favourite track from the record.

goingincirclez
09-05-2013, 10:59 PM
While I don't dislike a single track on the album, In Two is the one I keep coming back to as well. It's THE standout track that perfectly mashes all of NIN into one chaotic maelstrom.

I love the how the vocal effects from robo-synth to falsetto perfectly (yet almost subtly) underscore the sides at war. Contrast those with the defiant shouts in the verses, resigned into a pained, soft, repeated lamentation throughout the progressive bridge... Trent has never before used vocals to such varied degrees in one song. And it's fucking brilliant.

As someone who will admit to having a nervous breakdown, I can honestly say he has captured the terror and tension of a cascading moment in the most harrowing way possible. That build and the explosion at the end, and you're not quite even sure which side "wins"....

Even the placement of this song, right between I Would For You and While I'm Still Here, is perfect. Absolutely perfect. Somewhere between the calm surface and the longing for a contented now, oscillating at the whims of demons.

Yeah, I'm just a little in love with this album, but this track especially.

FernandoDante
09-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Another instance of "gettt yerrrr techno outta my nine inch nails"?
But it sounds like shitty techno.

"Nature Is Violent - Skrillex Remixes NIN"

minusthesnake
09-07-2013, 03:09 PM
But it sounds like shitty techno.

"Nature Is Violent - Skrillex Remixes NIN"

Actually, it's the single best moment on the album.

r_z
09-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Maybe if you're into Linkin Park.

hobochic
09-08-2013, 01:25 PM
I've been avoiding reading the lyrics so far but couldn't stand not knowing what he really says in this song.

Turns out I've been hearing a few things wrong:

What I heard:

"Shed

Brush your skin

Save yourself"

I like mine better XD

The chorus part I had insanely wrong...

Transfixed
09-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Maybe if you're into Linkin Park.

How, in any way, even a little bit, does that sound remotely like Linkin Park?

Have you ever heard Year Zero? yeahhh lots of electronic vocal distortions there, so it's in no way somehow "techno-ey" or "Linkin park-ey"... that's just hilarious.

Transfixed
09-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Agree 1000000%. I'm very surprised by the lack of comparisons to this moment and the end of "Beside You In Time." I remember when we got that first With Teeth preview and it was a clip of climax of "Beside You In Time" and I was so fucking excited to hear something like that. If Trent had released a Hesitation Marks promo clip back in May and used the climax of "In Two" as the music. Holy shit. I can't even imagine how I would have felt. I'm telling you, this will be the song where the visual climax will happen on the Tension tour.

The transition from the vocoder part into the falsetto chorus is absolutely magical. Something about that shift hits a spot in my brain. I love the vocoder part. Exactly the type of shit I want to be hearing from TR.

Also, the way the bass sounds in that "chorus" riff. I gotta say, I didn't even think of Eugene from Autolux being on this song after my first dozen listens but I can tell that has to be him. He had one of the meanest, fattest, yet clearest bass tones I'd ever heard live. Also, Lindsey Buckingham's part during the bridge is perfect.

I couldn't agree more! That ending to Beside You In Time, I must have listened to about 1000x because it was so damn good, and powerful! Agree totally about that transition into the falsetto vocal part too. It was brilliantly pulled off, and somehow captures the NIN lightning all in that one magic moment.

captainbeyond
09-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Funny how a vocoder reminds some of you of Skrillex and Linkin Park yet I love it because I'm reminded of Pink Floyd and King Crimson.

utterben
09-10-2013, 05:28 AM
"Shed

Brush your skin

Save yourself"

Trent's shopping/to-do list.