PDA

View Full Version : Hesitation Marks listening help - Headphones Suggestions?

hyserure
08-31-2013, 09:03 PM
I know that there are plenty of websites and blogs out there with "best headphones" posts, but I have been through too many bad online recommendations lately and I wanted to ask the people who would know best -- NIN fans. What are the best sub-$100 headphones/earphones for listening to NIN music that will give the most "accurate" sound/bass? Your suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks

MrSlfDstruct
08-31-2013, 09:08 PM
I was in the same place and ended up ordering a pair of Sony MDR-7506's (the same kind Trent wears in the SICN Still video and featured in Pitch Perfect (shut the fuck up, that movie is awesome :D) coincidentally) based on multiple recommendations of people here and reading reviews online. They're on their way so I can't vouch for them personally yet, but that's where my research led me.

Looking for headphone reviews online is maddening isn't it? I spent so many hours reading reviews and I feel like I accomplished very little.

Santos L Halper
08-31-2013, 09:13 PM
I was in the same place and ended up ordering a pair of Sony MDR-7506's (the same kind Trent wears in the SICN Still video and featured in Pitch Perfect (shut the fuck up, that movie is awesome :D) coincidentally) based on multiple recommendations of people here and reading reviews online. They're on their way so I can't vouch for them personally, but that's where my research led me.

Looking for headphone reviews online is maddening isn't it?

I can't attest to the Sony's but I can tell you that reading headphone reviews can drive one insane. It took me forever but I settled on a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1 ii's....granted they are not sub $100. Let us know what you decide on.

gorast
08-31-2013, 09:14 PM
I primarily use Sennheiser 438s (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD438-Circumaural-Headphone-Enhanced/dp/B002DGTGNQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378001590&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+438), which I got for just under 50 bucks. Good, strong bass response, you can hear pretty much everything going on in the background. Though, I'm not an audiophile, so there's a chance someone will stroll in here and piss all over my headphones, but that's alright.

pigpen
08-31-2013, 09:14 PM
I was in the same place and ended up ordering a pair of Sony MDR-7506's (the same kind Trent wears in the SICN Still video and featured in Pitch Perfect (shut the fuck up, that movie is awesome :D) coincidentally) based on multiple recommendations of people here and reading reviews online. They're on their way so I can't vouch for them personally yet, but that's where my research led me.

Looking for headphone reviews online is maddening isn't it? I spent so many hours reading reviews and I feel like I accomplished very little.

These, for sure.
They're not the BEST headphones out there, but my god do they sound fucking great. These combined with the cd itself or some high quality flacs
will blow you away. Just be prepared to see the headphones you already own in a very different light after listening with these.
I don't mean to sound overly advertisement-like, but these things are just so clear and balanced that they've really REALLY impressed me..

hollowsminion
08-31-2013, 09:32 PM
Surprisingly the new Apple earPods are a solid little contender for detail and modest bass.
For open air headphones on a budget, I like Grado SR60's.
In ear monitors I love Westone UM2's

hyserure
08-31-2013, 09:33 PM
Thanks guys! Really appreciate it. On a side note - which EQ setting do you use when listening on your iPhone/iPod? I use Rock but I'm still trying to figure out if that sounds best or not. Btw i am no audiophile but I do want my NIN to sound as awesome as possible :)

hollowsminion
08-31-2013, 09:36 PM
I don't use any EQ settings on the iPhone. Hate 'em!

MrSlfDstruct
08-31-2013, 09:36 PM
NONE. Ten characters.

Winter Is Coming
08-31-2013, 09:54 PM
I'm rocking some Shure SRH 750 DJ headphones for my home listening. Build quality reviews aren't great but every review on the sound is amazing. I love them but am still listening to the HM leak. Can't wait to hear what they sound like with the audiophile master.

Problem is that if you are using an iPod lots of audiophiles I talk to will say that you need an amp to get the best out of high end headphones.

they retail for about the same price as those Sony's.

thatguymark
08-31-2013, 09:59 PM
+1 to the Sony MDR-7506 recommendation. I also just picked a pair of these up based on recommendations from this board and the nearly universally positive reviews on various websites. They just arrived today, and betwen one listen through of Hesitation Marks, one listen through of a bluray from Neil Young's Archives Vol 1 set, and a couple of mp3's, I can easily say these are by far the best-sounding headphones I've ever owned. Even the lossy mp3's sounded way better than I expected. And the Neil Young Blu was absolutely stunning --- I could actually hear a very faint hiss from the studio source reel-to-reel recording. I am very impressed so far, and they're supposed to improve as they get worn in. As far as EQ settings go, I generally leave all that stuff flat as I trust the recordings were mastered to sound how the creators wanted them to sound without my ignorant alterations. I hear that a headphone amp can make high quality phones sound better, but that may be a little overkill for me personally, so I haven't started shopping for one of those just yet.

MrSlfDstruct
08-31-2013, 10:07 PM
Surprisingly the new Apple earPods are a solid little contender for detail and modest bass.

I was actually very surprised by these when I tried them out when I got my iPhone 5. They're my go to for casual listening when I need something that doesn't completely isolate me from the outside world. Insanely comfortable and a huge upgrade from the crap headphones that used to come with iProducts.

snaapz
08-31-2013, 10:18 PM
Honestly, laugh it up but my $30 Sony MDR-V150 headphones from walmart work fucking great. I'm blasting as I type. No over modulation for any frequency, the bass is punchy and gets the low end. The high end is clear. Connected to a proper device or port and it goes louder than I can handle (I'm connected to a BOSE companion audio jack which is connected to integrated audio hardware on my PC). I'll never pay $200 for headphones unless its for professional work, but I'm sure they (expensive headphones) sound "clearer" or produce lower end bass... but I think I can get a damn great sound by adjusting the software equalizer (standard V; bit more 14k and 16k than usual as I find it helps to show some of the glitchy/static sounds.

Wow. Now that I'm paying closer attention... Disappointed is kinda Sgt. Peppers.

piggy
09-01-2013, 06:51 AM
For an EQ setting, I like to use this custom one for all my music:
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20040902070807431

And for headphones under $100, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 218 (the new version is 219) that I like. They're suitable for both home and portable use and if you hunt around, you can get them factory refurbished for cheap.

Totally
09-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Try AmpAudyssey equalizer for the iphone.. its optimised for most particular earphone models. Apparently this is the amp to have for eq.. I have to snag another pair of earpods unless I can find something that decent for that price.. theyre really fucking punchy, but not comfortable buds if you've got the one small ear hole.
listened to the album on Jvc XX's and its great. Look forward to gettin another pair of 7506 studios for recording & also hearing music flat response

hyserure
09-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Thanks... I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD202's from amazon last week and they were absolutely TERRIBLE. muffled unclear sound that was subpar to even my crappy skullcandy earbuds. I think I'm gonna try the Sonys that everyone is mentioning, I've always liked sony audio products.
Thanks guys!

Lastentrance
09-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Look no further than the Sony MDR 7506. I use them for all my sound monitoring.

gorast
09-01-2013, 09:44 AM
Thanks... I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD202's from amazon last week and they were absolutely TERRIBLE. muffled unclear sound that was subpar to even my crappy skullcandy earbuds. I think I'm gonna try the Sonys that everyone is mentioning, I've always liked sony audio products.
Thanks guys!

202s are entry-level Sennheisers, I used them for about sixteen months before the left earcup crapped out. I wouldn't call them terrible, but they were also my first "real" headphones, so I didn't have anything to compare them with.

theimage13
09-01-2013, 11:02 AM
The Sony 7506s get this touring audio tech's vote as well. They're what I use both for work and for casual listening at home.

The MDR-V6 seems to be virtually identical, but usually leas expensive. If money is of any concern, that's a route worth investigating.

fabripav
09-01-2013, 11:09 AM
Look no further than the Sony MDR 7506. I use them for all my sound monitoring.

The Sony 7506s get this touring audio tech's vote as well. They're what I use both for work and for casual listening at home.

The MDR-V6 seems to be virtually identical, but usually leas expensive. If money is of any concern, that's a route worth investigating.

Was about to post about the MDR-V6. Fantastic headphones, really.

Damian
09-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Check out the KRK KNS-8400, KRK has prosumer grade studio monitors but these headphones are some of my favorite in the sub $200 range. Also very comfortable for long duration, and fairly flat response once they get burned in a little (mids improve after a few hours break in). Also good closed-back if you need anything ever for recording.

hyserure
09-01-2013, 05:04 PM

The 7506s are actually cheaper on amazon...
i also just saw the Sony MDR-ZX600s in Target and they looked pretty sweet. Anyone try these? They're a little less "bulky" looking.

d-signet
09-01-2013, 05:07 PM
never change the EQ settings

never

no exceptions

unless you think you're better at mixing and producing than the guys listed in the album liner-notes of course?

no?

then no exceptions.

SM Rollinger
09-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Ive had a cheap pair of Sony MDR-V150s for the last 10 years or so and they have served me great for music. Plan on using them for my first HM spin

broevol
09-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Sony MDR-V55. $79.99 at Wallyworld. Better than Beats.

nineismine
09-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Thanks guys!

Guys try these:

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108323-Premium-Hi-Fi-Headphone/dp/B007SP2CO2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1378076594&sr=1-1&keywords=monoprice+mep-839

binaryhermit
09-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Guys try these:

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108323-Premium-Hi-Fi-Headphone/dp/B007SP2CO2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1378076594&sr=1-1&keywords=monoprice+mep-839
Those are pretty good, though they're a few bucks cheaper directly from monoprice.com

FernandoDante
09-01-2013, 06:26 PM
I approve of this thread.

I have a pair of American Audio HP700s, but they're a bit large and hard to carry around. Plus, they're starting to wear out and fit loosely on my head. If I want to get something as good or better, but less bulky, what should I do?

ericy210
09-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Anyone tried beats by dre headphones?

MrSlfDstruct
09-01-2013, 11:18 PM

I've tried a few of them. They're not bad, but like any Monster product they're overpriced for what they are.

d-signet
09-02-2013, 01:20 AM

tried them

hated them

totally destroyed the original sound, boosted the bass way too much....

i was blind-testing whole group of headphones in store and ranked the beats ones among the £30-£40 sets. Even the cheapest pair of Sennheiser absolutely destroyed them.

m15a
09-02-2013, 01:45 AM
not so easy for most, but i really recommend trying out headphones if you can. it's not just about the sound either. the fit makes a difference too.

i have the sony MDR-v6 mentioned above. had them for 8 years actually. Sound is good, although some people hate them. The main thing that bothers me is the large coiled cord. it may seem minor, but i would use them way more if they had a lighter uncoiled cord. wouldnt say i regret the purchase, but it makes me wish i had another option.

Vertigo
09-02-2013, 02:24 AM
I know what I don't recommend, and that's a gaming headset. I'm using a Steelseries Siberia V2 USB, and formerly a Creative Fatal1ty HS800, and both are flawed for music. The Siberias are extremely clear with a broad soundstage, making it easy to pick out elements, but bass production is weak as a Guardian music review, and these are widely regarded as one of the very best gaming headsets available. The Fatal1ty just has poor sound quality across the board.

One of the better-reviewed headphones for a reasonable sum is the Creative Aurvana Live, people rave about the music production, even more so than the MDR-7506 that gets so much play around here. Good for gaming too apparently. Just need to watch out for build quality issues.

Digital Twilight
09-02-2013, 07:20 AM
You can't go wrong with Sennheisers. Great all round headphones.

These are my current pair: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-High-End-Open-Circumaural-Headphones/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378124389&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+hd598

theimage13
09-02-2013, 09:52 AM

never

no exceptions

unless you think you're better at mixing and producing than the guys listed in the album liner-notes of course?

no?

then no exceptions.

Lighten up, Francis.

minarets77
09-02-2013, 01:28 PM
You can't go wrong with Sennheisers. Great all round headphones.

These are my current pair: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-High-End-Open-Circumaural-Headphones/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378124389&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+hd598

I just got a pair if these on Saturday. Currently breaking them in (I heard around 12-15 hours?) but they sound great so far.

theimage13
09-02-2013, 09:45 PM
The 7506s are actually cheaper on amazon...
i also just saw the Sony MDR-ZX600s in Target and they looked pretty sweet. Anyone try these? They're a little less "bulky" looking.

Huh, that's pretty surprising. Granted, the last pair I bought was last year when they were $40 on Black Friday. But the last time I was actively looking for a pair for someone else, they were cheaper everywhere I looked. Wonder if something's shifted in the market.

tricil
09-02-2013, 09:53 PM
I listened to Various Methods of Escape on a pair of Sol Republic Master Tracks on in Best Buy and they were pretty great: http://www.solrepublic.com/headphones/master-tracks

It's hard to tell tho, maybe Hesitation Marks is just THAT good of a record. Can't wait to download my audiophile version in a couple of hours =)

voidnz
09-02-2013, 10:07 PM

I have beats pros. Listened to HM on them the other day. Was awesome.

Go into the store and try a bunch. That's the only real way to find the ones that are right for you.

MrSlfDstruct
09-03-2013, 11:07 PM
I got my Sony MDR-7506's today. I love them, listening to the audiophile version of HM and a bunch of other tracks. Best description I could give would be "balanced". Bass is definitely there but not overpowering, treble is crisp but not harsh (except on the one Eminem track I listened to, but his stuff always has ridiculous amounts of treble), vocals are very natural sounding. Overall I'm very happy with the purchase. I've had them on for about two hours now and they're very comfortable.

I did have a bit of a laugh when I pulled them out of the shipping box. They've been selling these since 1991 and the packaging looks like they could've been pulled off the shelf then and sent through time warp to arrive at my house in the present. But whatever, they sound good.

millhouse
09-03-2013, 11:26 PM
Bowers and Wilkins P5 (http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Headphones/P5/Overview.html) are my pick.

A review from Head-Fi.org (http://www.head-fi.org/t/618836/review-of-bowers-wilkins-p5s-truly-a-concert-for-one).

darkoutsider
09-03-2013, 11:35 PM
Big fan of anything Grado. The SR80i are fantastic for $100, and if you have extra money get the SR325i. They really sing with NIN.

darkoutsider
09-03-2013, 11:38 PM
Also if you want a great quick easy to use guide by price range from guys who are bigger nerds about headphones than we are about NIN....go here http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

d-signet
09-04-2013, 01:35 AM
As a budget option, the Soundmagic e10s sound better than anything I've tried for under £80, but can be picked up for well under £30 if you shop around.

Sent from my Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

jmtd
09-04-2013, 03:11 AM
I primarily use Sennheiser 438s (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD438-Circumaural-Headphone-Enhanced/dp/B002DGTGNQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378001590&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+438), which I got for just under 50 bucks. Good, strong bass response, you can hear pretty much everything going on in the background. Though, I'm not an audiophile, so there's a chance someone will stroll in here and piss all over my headphones, but that's alright.

These are my current favourite headphones. I got mine open box ex demo for £20 and bought them on a whim and I've never looked back. They've blown away all the phones I've used prior to that. I blogged about them at the start of the year http://jmtd.net/log/phones/

Apart from the audio fidelity, they don't leak much and they're very goddamn comfortable which is something underrated in headphones imho.

One day I hope to try some Senn 5xxs.

Oblong Cheese
09-04-2013, 06:18 AM
Go to www.headphones.com.au and anything with a 'Recommended' tag inside your price range is what you're after.

They are based in Perth, Australia, so you probably would want to find the same model at your local retailer.

fuchal
09-04-2013, 07:05 AM
I recommend Audio-Technica ATH-M50.

r_k_f
09-04-2013, 07:34 AM

never

no exceptions

no?

then no exceptions.

gotta disagree with this.. in a perfect world maybe.... but when everyone's gear on the listening end is different, and you have somewhat of an idea of what you're doing, why shouldn't you?

d-signet
09-04-2013, 08:06 AM
gotta disagree with this.. in a perfect world maybe.... but when everyone's gear on the listening end is different, and you have somewhat of an idea of what you're doing, why shouldn't you?

because you're only compounding the problem.

if it sounds better to your ears - then fine - go for it - but remember that you're about as far removed from what the engineers and producers intended as-is possible.

yes, some equipment is better than others - but the entire metric that we usually go by when we say "which is better" means "how well does what goes in your ears reflect the sound that was stamped onto the media"

every piece of equipment and software between the disc/file/tape and your ears has the ability to alter the sound away from what was intended, and the easiest possible way to get as far away as possible (without purposefully buying crap equipment) is to bugger about with the EQ.

Especially - EQing with a mindset of "let's boost the bass, ease-off the mid, and boost the treble" is essentially doubling-up on the destructive techniques that most "loud" mastering causes.

r_k_f
09-04-2013, 08:36 AM

if it sounds better to your ears - then fine - go for it - but remember that you're about as far removed from what the engineers and producers intended as-is possible.

yes, some equipment is better than others - but the entire metric that we usually go by when we say "which is better" means "how well does what goes in your ears reflect the sound that was stamped onto the media"

every piece of equipment and software between the disc/file/tape and your ears has the ability to alter the sound away from what was intended, and the easiest possible way to get as far away as possible (without purposefully buying crap equipment) is to bugger about with the EQ.

Especially - EQing with a mindset of "let's boost the bass, ease-off the mid, and boost the treble" is essentially doubling-up on the destructive techniques that most "loud" mastering causes.

I can agree with this.. especially since you included the "if it sounds better to your ears..." that is what counts in the end doesn't it?

fuchal
09-04-2013, 08:52 AM

If EQ is used sparingly to overcome flaws in listening equipment and environments - there's nothing wrong with using it for that purpose at all. In fact it should get you closer to what was intended in the studio. But of course an overblown EQ like iTunes presets provide are basically going to exaggerate aspects of the sound to an extreme.

m15a
09-04-2013, 11:51 AM
but the entire metric that we usually go by when we say "which is better" means "how well does what goes in your ears reflect the sound that was stamped onto the media"

note: we = d-signet

d-signet
09-04-2013, 12:03 PM
And i love you too, m15a

Sent from my Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

staleincense
09-04-2013, 03:49 PM
I love the Oneohtrix Point Never remix of Find My Way, very atmospheric. I might check out some of the artist's work now...

A.Cash
09-04-2013, 06:10 PM
I've been using SOL Republic 'Tracks HD'. The guy that runs SOL is the son of the creator of Monster. Pretty amazing headphones and they are extremely clear.
http://www.amazon.com/SOL-REPUBLIC-Tracks-On-Ear-Headphones/dp/B005OLOIUI