12-01-2011, 08:20 AM
There are some new Massive Attach mixes on Soundcloud for OWS

http://soundcloud.com/occupy-radio-1

Also a new demo from 3D. Liking the new stuff,

http://soundcloud.com/euan-me/nuone-04-mix-mastered

dominik
12-01-2011, 03:17 PM
that demo is great.

i just discovered that the first album is awesome too, haha. somehow i always ignored that except Safe From Harm and Unfinished Sympathy.

liquidcalm
12-01-2011, 05:29 PM
today I remembered how awesome 'Live With Me' was:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIIovpUQiro

Nothing (apart from maybe the last couple of tracks) on the last album were that good. Those Burial remixes were pretty sweet though.

dominik
12-01-2011, 05:36 PM
um, Pray for Rain? Girl I Love You? Babel?

liquidcalm
12-01-2011, 05:43 PM
*as good as Live with Me.

It was okay on its own, just didn't hit any big highs for me.

dominik
12-01-2011, 05:54 PM
i think this one is pretty amazing too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKv_eZwJh34

Diet Poison
12-01-2011, 05:59 PM
The best part of the last album was the remix of Psyche that wasn't even on the album, but on the Splitting the Atom single.

bobbie solo
12-03-2011, 02:23 AM
those Burial mixes are fantastic.

fortheloveofgod
12-04-2011, 08:09 AM
those Burial mixes are fantastic.

Hope the rumors are true and Burial remixes the whole album like Mad Professor.

seasonsinthesky
12-04-2011, 08:21 AM
the "Four Walls" mix is literally mindblowing. i've never heard anything like it.

lebruit
12-04-2011, 01:34 PM
The best part of the last album was the remix of Psyche that wasn't even on the album, but on the Splitting the Atom single.
This remix always slays me.

scottness
01-12-2012, 11:33 PM
This is one of those bands that snuck into being one of my favorites.

It was sitting on my computer for a year (thanks to @sheepdan for the hookup on Heligoland!) before I got around to listening to it. Loved it.

Now I have to check out some more of their material.

october_midnight
01-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Start with Mezzanine. I still listen to that album at least once a week.

RevolvingSheep
01-16-2012, 09:29 AM
I want all of the MA bsides and remixes... what should I look for?

seasonsinthesky
01-16-2012, 10:12 AM
^ Singles 90/98, for one. otherwise, the second disc of Collected, and the following singles:
- Butterfly Caught
- Special Cases
- Live With Me
- False Flags / United Snakes
- Splitting the Atom
- Atlas Air
- Four Walls / Paradise Circus (Burial mixes)

other tracks:
- Nature of Threat
- The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game
- Fake the Aroma
- Nature Boy
- Aftersun
- Inflight Data (a track by 3D)
- Eurochild (live session)

there are also some tracks featuring 3D on vocals (a couple of pretty good U.N.K.L.E. ones, for instance). and i definitely missed a few things!

xcore
02-04-2012, 01:29 PM
With every listen I give "Heligoland" I love it more!

Highly Psychological
02-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Massive Attack -BBC Essential Mix- NOVEMBER 1994.......if you want to know why Mezzanine is one of the best records of all time, you should hear some of the music they were listening to preceding its making and release. This is one of the best mix tapes I have ever heard, its one of the most requested on Radio 1 too,.......Mostly obscure wonderful Hip-Hop but some of the best music I have ever heard in general too, and makes me wonder how many of these tunes were not picked up upon and bigger at the time.......... TLC, Urban Thermo Dynamics, Masters at Work, Public Enemy, Kenny Ken Lou, Onyx, Gang Starr, A Tribe Called Quest, Black Moon and all that, Dont listen to the one on youtube its weird, wrong tracks and has been edited loads. Its a shame they lost their Hip Hop influence a bit, when Mushroom left, they have not been as good since, loved some of 100th Window, very cold but quite liked the iciness of it, but Heligoland was just boring and disappointing. Felt really tame, was not sonically exciting in the way previous releases had been back in the 1990's, Paradise circus was good but it was hardly Teardrop, or Unfinished Sympathy. I miss Tricky and Mushroom. Protection is overlooked loads too. But Massive Attack could reach a power very few acts ever could. Some of their material is so powerful its unreal. Love them.

dominik
07-20-2012, 04:40 AM
Martina Topley Bird was Surprise Vocal Act in the best club of Vienna on Wednesday and it was awesome.

Sutekh
07-20-2012, 07:54 AM
My mate has that burial/massive attack vinyl... V jealous

I would suggest anyone new to massive attack, just get mezzanine... It is one of the all time best. Their brixton show in 08 or 09 was superb, guest spots from horace andy and damon albarn, it was bliss. I really like 100th window, sounds more like mezzanine than all the other non mezzanine albums. Future proof and antistar are gorgeous

Ps brizzle rules

seasonsinthesky
11-29-2012, 11:52 PM
resurrection thread because the Blue Lines 2012 mix/master is out and it's pretty glorious. very few changes, just sounds a lot better and more separated. the 24/96 version of "Unfinished Sympathy" is amazing.

kinda wondering why they didn't include bonuses, like "Any Love" or "Home of the Whale" (the latter being the best b-side they ever chose not to put on a record!).

Camille
11-30-2012, 06:33 AM
resurrection thread because the Blue Lines 2012 mix/master is out and it's pretty glorious. very few changes, just sounds a lot better and more separated.

Indeed it does sound great. I remember buying the original when it was first released, I have followed them ever since.
The new mix/master/whatever does sound very fresh. I bought the standard cd version and the only gripe I have with it is the album/song credits are printed on the inside of (underneath) the cd tray, which is made of black plastic. So if you want to read the album/song credits, you have to remove the black plastic cd tray.
Anyway, besides that small annoyance, this is a great wee package and it sounds fantastic.

Camille
11-30-2012, 06:38 AM
My mate has that burial/massive attack vinyl... V jealous

Your friend is lucky. I sadly missed out on that 12inch. Copies are selling for over £100 on ebay. I was actually nonplussed about the remixes, but the packaging is nice.

fortheloveofgod
11-30-2012, 07:20 AM
Terry Callier died recently who did the vocals for live with me. They put a 15min snippet of this recording sessions on soundcloud. Includes Live with me and some of this own songs from 2005.

http://soundcloud.com/massive-attack-2/terry-callier-the-windmill

Still would love to hear Burial remix of whole albums worth of music.

Camille
12-01-2012, 07:06 AM
^^ Thanks.

Camille
12-01-2012, 07:09 AM
Massive Attack -BBC Essential Mix- NOVEMBER 1994....... Dont listen to the one on youtube its weird, wrong tracks and has been edited loads.

People who are still interested in this can find the unedited MA Essential Mix, and a lot of other classic and newer mixes for download here http://www.mixesdb.com/db/index.php/Category:Essential_Mix

R-Dot-Yung
12-02-2012, 09:24 PM
The memories of me discovering Massive Attack are good times...big fan of this troop

fortheloveofgod
12-03-2012, 09:04 PM
People who are still interested in this can find the unedited MA Essential Mix, and a lot of other classic and newer mixes for download here http://www.mixesdb.com/db/index.php/Category:Essential_Mix

Thanks for that website. I can now listen to all my favorite mixes from the 90's:)

dominik
12-04-2012, 02:19 PM
just posting this in case anybody doesn't know it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm2cKQ2i_HA

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-04-2012, 07:43 PM
JESUS. That's good stuff. I've never heard it before. I pray to god we get a studio recording of that puppy someday.

fortheloveofgod
12-04-2012, 07:45 PM
[QUOTE=dominik;59735]just posting this in case anybody doesn't know it.
/QUOTE]

Thanks. I don't know how I missed this and Red Light....

Camille
12-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Forgot about this one. It's Massive Attack's BBC 6-Mix from 2012. Listen and/or download https://soundcloud.com/everybodywantstobethedj/massive-attack-6-mix-2012-11
Very nice mix this one, 2hrs.

dominik
12-09-2012, 06:40 AM
The Blue Lines Remaster is so awesome.

fortheloveofgod
12-12-2012, 03:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ419H-w9z4

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Battle Box sounds INCREDIBLE. I can't wait to hear more. The 3D and Guy Garvey tag team never disappoints.

october_midnight
12-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Holy shit that's great.

Camille
12-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Interesting interview with 3D by Crack Magazine http://crackmagazine.net/music/3d/

theburningreptile
03-15-2013, 11:02 PM
Massive Attack has become my favorite band over the past couple of months. I first checked out "Angel" and thought it was amazing. I even listened to it at least 15 times in one sitting. Then I checked out more songs from Mezzanine. My favorite now being Group Four. Now my reaction every time I hear them now is: Where have you been all my life?! :D

deepblue
03-16-2013, 09:14 AM
Massive Attack has become my favorite band over the past couple of months. I first checked out "Angel" and thought it was amazing. I even listened to it at least 15 times in one sitting. Then I checked out more songs from Mezzanine. My favorite now being Group Four. Now my reaction every time I hear them now is: Where have you been all my life?! :D
Usually Mezzanine is considered Massive Attack's best album. This album is indeed excellent.

My top would be: Mezzanine > Blue Lines > Protection > Heligoland > 100th Window

thevoid99
03-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Mezzanine is still my favorite Massive Attack album with Blue Lines a close second. I really love Protection as I think it's just a good night-driving album. Heligoland and 100th Window were all right as they have some moments.

Ruined
07-03-2013, 12:26 PM
This project ("gilm") sounds amazing. I wish I could attend: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/jun/30/massive-attack-adam-curtis-manchester-festival

estringrose
09-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Just heard Paradise Circus. I never liked Heligoland, but this one really stood out to me. It's pretty.

100th Window also has a beautiful sound to it.

Is it wrong that I still have yet to like Blue Lines, though? I don't know, I feel like I should.

seasonsinthesky
09-19-2013, 10:55 PM
3D is putting out a Massive Attack art book, and it comes with a special 7" with an unreleased track. i wonder if it'll be a Heligoland outtake :O

Al_Hunter
09-20-2013, 02:18 AM
3D is putting out a Massive Attack art book, and it comes with a special 7" with an unreleased track. i wonder if it'll be a Heligoland outtake :O

The article I read on this subject the other day was fairly confusing. Suggested two prices - £50 and £350. I'd imagine £350 is more likely. Much as it'd be extremely cool to own it's a lot of money for what is, essentially, a coffee table decoration.

frankie teardrop
09-27-2013, 03:09 PM
just found out about the massive attack v. adam curtis performance(s) in nyc, with horace andy and liz fraser (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) in tow. i'm going on monday. (!!!!)

aggroculture
09-27-2013, 10:16 PM
I want to hear those Heligoland outtakes with Mike Patton.
Heligoland was good.
100th Window is a masterpiece.

neorev
09-28-2013, 12:50 AM
"100th Window" is great (Small Time Shot Away, Antistar, Futureproof)
my second favorite album from them right after "Mezzanine"
i was a little disappointed with Heligoland to be honest... maybe it was the lack of 3D vocals compared to previous releases

Al_Hunter
09-28-2013, 06:27 AM
Both 100th Window and Heligoland grew on me big time. Love both records, especially 100th Window. Special Cases particularly pushes my buttons.

Highly Psychological
09-28-2013, 01:17 PM
i think them losing Mushroom after Mezzanine affected their sound dramatically he was the guy who wanted them to stick to their hip hop soul roots. And he was responsible for most of the beats, 3D was more experimental and would bring in post punk elements but Mushroom sort of managed to reign it all back in and condense their sound. 100th Window is really good in places,loved the glacial cold vibe of it, but something was missing and Heligoland just sent me to sleep. Was amazed how boring it was. I did like their recent collab with Burial though, be good if they worked with more with him.

staleincense
09-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Tht thing with Heligoland is that whenever I listen to individual songs from the album, I like them, but somehow, when I listen to the album from beginning to end, I sometimes find it quite boring. I haven't actually listened to 100th Window though so I can't really comment on that...

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-17-2013, 09:29 AM
Battle Box 002! http://www.factmag.com/2013/10/17/massive-attacks-robert-del-naja-releases-new-12-3d-on-jupiter/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csopvw-SMfk#t=163

Now that I'm getting a better idea for what exactly Battle Box is, I really like it. Well, more than I already did. Hopefully I can attend some kind of exhibition/performance while the project's alive and well.

Sutekh
10-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Tht thing with Heligoland is that whenever I listen to individual songs from the album, I like them, but somehow, when I listen to the album from beginning to end, I sometimes find it quite boring. I haven't actually listened to 100th Window though so I can't really comment on that...

It has 3 or 4 amazing tunes in the vein of mezzanine, and then a load with sinead o'connor

frankie teardrop
10-17-2013, 02:58 PM
sinead o'connor was once great. lion and the cobra ​is awesome.

dlb
10-17-2013, 03:15 PM
future proof, special cases and butterfly caught are worth buying the album for on their own. fantastic tunes! That reminds that I should listen to Massive Attack way more. Especially now that winter is coming.

theburningreptile
10-17-2013, 05:10 PM
future proof, special cases and butterfly caught are worth buying the album for on their own. fantastic tunes! That reminds that I should listen to Massive Attack way more. Especially now that winter is coming. Agreed with this plus it contains my favorite MA song Antistar. Which is absolutely awesome. Highly recommend it.

dlb
10-18-2013, 05:39 AM
Antistar... how could I forget? Yep! That's one of my faves aswell!

3D needs to do way more stuff. Can't get enough of this guy along with Lavelle and TR.

Jord
10-23-2013, 03:12 PM
Heligoland came out about half a year after I first got into Massive Attack. Mezzanine was the portal that introduced me, and it was sort of a game changer for me hearing it for the first time, albeit so many years after it came out. 100th Window I am fond of, the earlier stuff not so much. Heligoland was something I was very excited about despite the stops and starts that plagued its birth, however ultimately it just bored me a little, I skip a lot of the CD. The album would have been better if it had been compiled of all the stuff they played live and scrapped, like Red Light and Hartcliffe Star and Dobro and whatnot. It just seems like there's so much material that they band have recorded with so many collaborators that's just been...forgotten about? They could have probably shat out an EP a year from the release of Heligoland up until now and if it consists of stuff like the material they scrapped for Heligoland it would have made for some amazing releases. In that respect, Massive Attack tend to disappoint me.

cahernandez
03-24-2014, 02:15 PM
Does anyone know the story behind the lyrics of Silent Spring (I've read the book of the same name, but I don't think the lyrics and the book are related)? Or the background of the song (b-side for which song?) I tried to look up info on this song in a fan site (massiveattack.ie) but didn't find much.

I spent repeating this song so many times this weekend. It's just awesome. Final question: would you guys recommend the soundtrack for Danny the Dog? I haven't heard it and it may be my next purchase.

aggroculture
03-24-2014, 02:28 PM
I don't like it. From what I recall it's too techno-y and upbeat to really qualify as a MA release in my mind. It doesn't really sound like MA to me.
You can listen to it here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF3C2C4059864284A

theburningreptile
03-24-2014, 02:30 PM
Does anyone know the story behind the lyrics of Silent Spring (I've read the book of the same name, but I don't think the lyrics and the book are related)? Or the background of the song (b-side for which song?) I tried to look up info on this song in a fan site (massiveattack.ie) but didn't find much.

I spent repeating this song so many times this weekend. It's just awesome. Final question: would you guys recommend the soundtrack for Danny the Dog? I haven't heard it and it may be my next purchase.

To answer your 2nd question, cause i'm still relatively new to Massive (even though they're my favorite) I would say yes. The songs i've heard are awesome. If it was here I would pick it up. :)

Just checked, don't know if you have it or not but Danny the Dog OST is on Spotify in full. Even though it's on there I would still like to collect it. Cause to me it would just fuel my liking for the band. Hope I've been of some help.

Mantra
03-24-2014, 04:13 PM

If I recall correctly, "Silent Spring" was an outtake from the Mezzanine era that was left unfinished over the years. It was eventually released on the "Collected" greatest hits compilation, on the second disc, which featured various b-sides and alternate versions of previously released songs, plus a handful new/unreleased material (i.e: Live With Me, False Flags, Silent Spring, Joy Luck Club, etc). I believe Liz Fraser's lyrics are basically just gibberish, similar to what she did on certain Cocteau Twins songs, so I'm not sure if there's a strong connection between the song and the Rachel Carson book, apart from the title itself of course.

As for Danny the Dog, I love a couple songs on there (specifically, the title track and the song called "Everything About You Is New") but the rest is kinda forgettable, in my opinion.

Gardenia Spectre
03-25-2014, 09:58 PM
just found out about the massive attack v. adam curtis performance(s) in nyc, with horace andy and liz fraser (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) in tow. i'm going on monday. (!!!!)

That was a very cool event. I especially loved the covers they did.

theburningreptile
05-08-2014, 02:40 PM
I read somewhere that Tricky might be guesting on the next MA album, which would be awesome. Also I want new Massive Attack. Should be getting close to a new release right? Also did anyone see the Adam vs Massive Attack shows? If so, i am jelly, but i salute you, cause that shit sounds awesome.

october_midnight
05-08-2014, 02:50 PM
They're also one of the newly announced Glastonbury headliners...crossing fingers for new music for sure.

fillow
05-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Knowing this band... Yeah they'll probably play two or three new tunes... none of which will end up on the actual album.

Tony Gordon
05-08-2014, 04:28 PM
Don't know much about them except for the Mezzanine album I listened to a bunch of times a few summers ago and was very impressed with it. Great album I should have bought a while back for my collection.

scorpiusdiamond
05-15-2014, 08:18 PM
I was going to see them play in Iceland, but things got in the way.
#1 band I still haven't seen live that I want to see

InnerLondon Skywave
05-31-2014, 06:17 PM
I find MA to be incredibly overrated

When an band has made an album like Mezannine and a song like Teardrop the word's 'incredibly overrated' do not fit.

its like calling Nine Inch Nails 'overrated', many people think Trent has not done anything truly groundbreaking of remarkable since The Fragile 15 years ago.
But like Massive Attack he will ALWAYS have respect and a fanbase due to the quality of his 90s material.

Same could be said for With Teeth he took 5 years to release that album and it sounded like it could have been made in 5 weeks and i personally found it crushingly disappointing.
Massive Attack are still deeply revered because Mezzannine, Blue Lines and Protection still sound heavy, sexy, druggy and fucking phenomenal years later and Unfinished Sympathy is probably the best song of that entire decade.

neorev
06-01-2014, 03:34 AM
When an band has made an album like Mezannine and a song like Teardrop the word's 'incredibly overrated' do not fit.

its like calling Nine Inch Nails 'overrated', many people think Trent has not done anything truly groundbreaking of remarkable since The Fragile 15 years ago.
But like Massive Attack he will ALWAYS have respect and a fanbase due to the quality of his 90s material.

Same could be said for With Teeth he took 5 years to release that album and it sounded like it could have been made in 5 weeks and i personally found it crushingly disappointing.
Massive Attack are still deeply revered because Mezzannine, Blue Lines and Protection still sound heavy, sexy, druggy and fucking phenomenal years later and Unfinished Sympathy is probably the best song of that entire decade.

Overrated? I don't know about that one.

Mezzanine is an absolutely amazing album. They have a way of being downtempo, but still have an edge... an energy to it. The title track is one of my favorite tracks from them as well. I remember telling my girl (who didn't really know much about them at the time) that the track "Mezzanine" makes me wanna fuck. She looked at me like I was crazy. Then she went to work that day with the album in her car CD player. She came home that night and was like, "You're absolutely right." And we... uh... well, you know... to that track. :rolleyes:
It was pretty intense.

Massive Attack makes dark and sexy music at the same time.
100th Window was great too. Small Time Shot Away is a great tune.
Though I was a bit disappointed with Heligoland.

I also love their collab "I Against I" with Mos Def... that track booms!

In regards to With Teeth, I love that album and is one of my top NIN albums. I never understood the dislike towards it. For me, it feel it was a proper continuation from The Downward Spiral sound. I was 50/50 with The Fragile, slightly disappointed with it to be honest. Could have made a great single disc though. But With Teeth is in my top 3 NIN albums, sorry y'all. :)

Sutekh
06-01-2014, 07:55 AM
haha... yes, mezzanine is a shagging album

That cover of Bela Lugosi's Dead they did at the Adam Curtis thing makes me want to drool

Are Massive Attack overrated? Not sure... how to define "overrated" is a prickly subject. There's when you personally feel it's not as good as people say it is, which is entirely your own thing and not a universal truth, then there's when something is actually overrated in a objective sense, for example being popularly but unduly credited with pioneering something they didn't.

Given that Massive Attack only ever did the one epic barnstormer (mezzanine) and everything before or since is a bit "almost but not quite", I'd say yeah in my opinion... they have sustained the glory of the one album quite well, shall we say

But more objectively I think Mezzanine did do a few things that hadn't been done before by a pop act, and isn't being overrated when people praise it as innovative (music aside, it was the first album you could buy online & download, fact fans)

seasonsinthesky
06-01-2014, 08:26 AM
did anyone get 3D's artbook? what's on the exclusive vinyl?

Jord
06-02-2014, 12:54 PM
I don't look forward to a new album from these guys as much as I should, after what was scrapped on heligoland, they take far too long putting stuff out what with all the unreleased material they have. Mezzanine remains a pleasure to listen to on a regular basis though.

elevenism
06-02-2014, 01:29 PM
The best thing that ever happened to Massive Attack was Tricky going solo.

aggroculture
06-03-2014, 07:13 AM
Protection is a masterpiece. Go discover it, if you haven't yet.
To me 100th Window is a unique album, I think it's totally spellbinding and perfect. It's like a sci fi dystopian world. It creates an aesthetic which is glacial, and melancholic, and deeply engaged with the alienations and synthetic pleasures of modern life.

I agree with Heligoland as a kind of With Teeth: a return after too long with much to prove and ultimately a big letdown.
I wish Heligoland had been 101th Window.

Also: where the fuck are those Mike Patton collaborations? Just leak them already.

Millionaire
06-10-2014, 09:55 AM
I really like 100th Window as well. To me its their most consistent album from song to song.

cynicmuse
06-19-2014, 03:17 PM
Yay! Massive Attack is playing in the US this fall. I've got tickets for LA. I'll get tickets for SB tomorrow. I'm passing on the festival in SF.

armogi
06-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Yay! Massive Attack is playing in the US this fall. I've got tickets for LA. I'll get tickets for SB tomorrow. I'm passing on the festival in SF.

yeah that sucks for us here in SF, why did they pick that stupid festival???
Atoms for peace did the same sh*t last year, it's so annoying.

cahernandez
06-19-2014, 04:32 PM

Where are the US dates? I looked in their website and couldn't find them, I only saw the European ones.

october_midnight
06-19-2014, 04:36 PM
Googling 'massive attack tour' gives this: http://www.songkick.com/artists/546131-massive-attack as the first hit.

Page 3, i see a few festivals in October, but nothing else.

cynicmuse
06-19-2014, 05:29 PM
Where are the US dates? I looked in their website and couldn't find them, I only saw the European ones.
They're playing LA on 10/16 at the Greek Theatre and the Santa Barbara Bowl on 10/17. They're playing the Treasure Island Festival sometime during the weekend of 10/18-10/19.

cynicmuse
10-17-2014, 02:13 AM
I saw Massive Attack at the Greek Theater in LA tonight.
Setlist:
Karmacoma
Battlebox
United Snakes
Paradise Circus
Risingson
Psyche (Flash Treatment)
Future Proof
Teardrop
Angel
Jupiter
Inertia Creeps
Safe From Harm
Splitting the Atom
Pray for Rain
Unfinished Sympathy

I enjoyed the performance, even if Section B was dead. We got the world premiere of Pray for Rain. I'm hoping for a repeat tomorrow night since TVOTR is opening for them. They were performing alternate versions of some of the older songs like Karmacoma.

ibanez33
10-17-2014, 02:17 AM
Googling 'massive attack tour' gives this: http://www.songkick.com/artists/546131-massive-attack as the first hit.

Page 3, i see a few festivals in October, but nothing else.

If either of us hear anything of a Vancouver date, we tell each other immediately. Deal?

littlemonkey613
10-17-2014, 03:54 AM
I saw Massive Attack at the Greek Theater in LA tonight.

I enjoyed the performance, even if Section B was dead. We got the world premiere of Pray for Rain. I'm hoping for a repeat tomorrow night since TVOTR is opening for them. They were performing alternate versions of some of the older songs like Karmacoma.

I was there too :). Great show. Terrible crowd in general until the end. I snuck into section B for a while and C was much much worse. At least the people in B could shut the fuck up.

Pray for Rain was amazing I'm 100% sure you'll get it again. I'm so jealous you get to see TVOTR. Tell us what they play aye? And how the new songs sound. :)

cynicmuse
10-20-2014, 04:29 AM
TVOTR and Massive Attack were excellent at the Santa Barbara Bowl. It was my first time there and I really liked the venue. The sound was good and I enjoyed the drive up along the coast. I'll definitely go back.

The set list for Massive Attack was the same as the previous night. I enjoyed hearing Pray for Rain again live. I was down in the pit and for the most part the crowd around me was good. It must have been the first MA show for the 50ish couple sitting behind me, since there was a good five minute discussion at one point about the graphics during one of the first songs ("United Snakes" I think...) The lighting setup for this tour feature a few overhead lights that could be used to spotlight the singers, with 3x3 rectangular LED panels with more lights behind them. During that song, the panels displayed corporate logos (everything from Boeing to Dole, so it wasn't just defense contractors) that would morph into flags... said couple didn't realize that MA liked to make political statements at their shows.

The visual aspect of the MA show is quite different than what other bands do (or at least the other bands that I've seen recently). During the first song, they were so heavily back lit that all you could see was the video playing on the screens above them. For most of the show, the performers are in darkness. I like how they always tailor the headlines used "Inertia Creeps" to reference local events. Also, the panels were mounted on actuators so that they could go from vertical to horizontal, controlling the amount of light coming from the lights behind them. One of the coolest visual effects happened during "Safe From Harm", when a row of lasers on top of the panels formed a cage of light over the performers.

I'm glad that I saw them two nights in a row. Hopefully they'll do a proper tour of NA at some point in the future.

Does anyone know what's the story with "Battlebox" and "Jupiter"? "Jupiter" seems to be a mash up of the beats from "3D on Jupiter": 3D on Jupiter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csopvw-SMfk)
with Martina Topley Bird's vocals from "Poison":Poison (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=simaWJIz1jw).
"Battlebox" is the beat from "Battlebox 001", but I'm not familiar enough with Martina Topley Bird's catalog to determine if it's using her lyrics.

armogi
12-23-2014, 02:55 PM
free stuff from robert del naja: http://ludumdare.com/compo/2014/12/01/free-jam-assets-for-ludum-dare-31/

download available in FLAC too!

r_z
01-04-2015, 06:17 AM
never heard of ludum dare, but I'm gladly taking this. thanks for the heads up!

kbo
02-25-2015, 08:58 AM
3D and Thom Yorke released a soundtrack
http://pitchfork.com/news/58613-thom-yorke-and-massive-attacks-robert-del-naja-release-uk-gold-soundtrack-for-free/

does anyone know if (how) you can download it?

Thanks

october_midnight
10-06-2015, 12:02 PM
2016 tour dates released. (http://www.massiveattack.co.uk/)

perceptionnexus
10-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Not coming anywhere near my neck of the woods. Still hoping they drop new record next year tho.

Exocet
10-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Massive Attack said today on Facebook they promise new music is going to be out by the end of the year. They also announced a tour.

I dont know what to expect musically at all. I still think their 90s material is some of he most powerful music ever writen.
But Heligoland was one of the most boring albums ive ever heard. I did not get what they were dong at all.

Be cool if some lifeforce is injected back into he band musically. I want hem to bring back the Hip Hop beats.
there were rumours of Burial, Thom Yorke, and The Bug and Run the Jewels working with them on new music.
Whenever Massive Attack releases a new album once every 5 years or so its always an event, so im interested if thats the case either way.

armogi
10-06-2015, 02:22 PM
hoping this is true, the wait for new music has been too long

seasonsinthesky
10-06-2015, 05:05 PM
I dont know what to expect musically at all. I still think their 90s material is some of he most powerful music ever writen.
But Heligoland was one of the most boring albums ive ever heard. I did not get what they were dong at all.

Really? I like it at least as much as 100th and Blue Lines. The only song that went too out there for me was "Flash of the Blade."

Nothing touches Protection and Mezzanine though.

cahernandez
10-07-2015, 09:26 AM
Apparently Tricky is coming back with them: http://music.mxdwn.com/2015/10/06/news/tricky-announces-he-is-returning-to-massive-attack/

october_midnight
10-07-2015, 09:59 AM
If it means he might be performing with them on the upcoming tour, it makes these shows an absolute must-see. Holy fuckballs it's been like 5 years since I saw them here.....TOUR NORTH AMERICA DAMMIT.

Deepvoid
10-07-2015, 10:35 AM
Massive Attack said today on Facebook they promise new music is going to be out by the end of the year. They also announced a tour.

Be cool if some lifeforce is injected back into he band musically. I want hem to bring back the Hip Hop beats.
there were rumours of Burial, Thom Yorke, and The Bug and Run the Jewels working with them on new music.
Whenever Massive Attack releases a new album once every 5 years or so its always an event, so im interested if thats the case either way.

"Girl I Love You" played while I was shuffling music driving to work. I always loved this song and it made me wondered if they were working on new music.
Now I see this post. Nice coincidence.

I don't think Heligoland was that bad. It had some good stuff. Atlas Air comes to mind.

fillow
10-07-2015, 11:55 AM
Weird. I thought I remembered this forum going nuts over Heligoland back when it was released...

seasonsinthesky
10-07-2015, 12:10 PM
Weird. I thought I remembered this forum going nuts over Heligoland back when it was released...

MA have had a rough time meeting hype since 2001, so I suspect nothing could ever satisfy the fandom fully anymore. The hype machine goes haywire because they debut songs on tour, bootlegs collect up, the band doesn't use any of those songs, and then everyone goes lukewarm or sour when an album of unheard music comes out. Rinse and repeat.

liquidcalm
10-07-2015, 12:37 PM
I always bring it up, but I was pretty flat on Heligoland mostly because of that tease of Live With Me, off the best of. That track was an insane return to what I loved about Protection and Mezzanine, (I did like 100th Window, but it was colder).. then Heligoland just seemed to toy with the potential of that track.

cahernandez
10-07-2015, 01:08 PM
I don't think Heligoland was that bad. It had some good stuff. Atlas Air comes to mind.

Atlas Air kills live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB5EqNe5Jxo

Al_Hunter
10-07-2015, 01:53 PM
Booked tickets for Saturday 30th January 😃

Exocet
10-07-2015, 05:30 PM
Apparently Tricky is coming back with them: http://music.mxdwn.com/2015/10/06/news/tricky-announces-he-is-returning-to-massive-attack/

I never thought this would happen, i love Tricky loads, he's ok now, but when Tricky went crazy on Crack in the late 90s he used to, in interviews ramble for ages and diss rest of Massive Attack for taking his money and not paying him royalties. He wrote a song about it on his album Angels with dirty Faces called Money Greedy.
... didnt know they had made up.

i always thought it was a shame he left the group. Love his career too... but its great if he's recording with them again.

I would love Mushroom to get back involved too, and Shara Nelson too, she had a beautiful voice but thats unlikely as she's had mental health problems too and was arrested and sent to prison for stalking a British DJ a few years ago.
....They were a dysfunctional group.
It would be good to see Liz Fraser on this tour too. Saw her with them in 2006 she was amazing.

aggroculture
10-07-2015, 08:20 PM
Heligoland was very different from 100th Window, so I would call it an advancement of their sound + ideas.
Personally I want 101th Window, but that's just me.

Going to be teaching three MA albums in two different classes over the next couple of weeks, which should be interesting.

eversonpoe
10-09-2015, 08:40 AM
I've always viewed 100th Window as like a lo-fi rerun of what was happening on Mezzanine. It's not a bad album by any means, but it definitely has the feel that Del Naja didn't have a clue how to expand on their high watermark.

Heligoland has always bored me stiff. It's like they got a bunch of random guest vocalists to come in and sleepwalk their way through some rudimentary backing tracks. That album just never catches fire or goes anywhere different. I must have listened to it 50+ times in the year after it was released, haven't bothered with it since, and can't recall one track on the entire thing save for Paradise Circus. And that's only because I'll listen to anything she sings on. It bewilders me how it took them seven years to come up with that, and leaves me unexcited for what's to come

what about the Danny The Dog soundtrack? i LOVE everything on that. i feel like that was a perfect step forward after Mezzanine & 100th Window, and then they just kind of...abandoned all those ideas.

Jord
10-11-2015, 08:20 AM
I'll always check out new MA material, but I will never ever forgive them for Heligoland. Mainly because we all know that the tracks that they never included on it would have made an almighty album. Hartcliffe Star, Redlight, Invade Me etc...

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-13-2015, 01:40 PM
I feel like I'm the only one who didn't mind Heligoland at all. It's not my favorite, but it has some songs on there I really enjoy. I just feel like it was a little all-over-the-place and missing some essential parts that, indeed, would've made for one hell of an album. But hey, that's the way it panned out. I'm still kicking myself for not seeing their last US tour, so hopefully they come back stateside before toooo long.

Al_Hunter
10-13-2015, 02:07 PM
I feel like I'm the only one who didn't mind Heligoland at all. It's not my favorite, but it has some songs on there I really enjoy. I just feel like it was a little all-over-the-place and missing some essential parts that, indeed, would've made for one hell of an album. But hey, that's the way it panned out. I'm still kicking myself for not seeing their last US tour, so hopefully they come back stateside before toooo long.
I'm with you, I quite liked it. I'd like to own it on vinyl but the prices are utterly crazy.

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-14-2015, 08:16 AM
I'm with you, I quite liked it. I'd like to own it on vinyl but the prices are utterly crazy.

Yeah, no shit! I like the thing well enough, but not THAT much.

Speaking of vinyl. if anyone's interested, there's a reissue of Mezzanine that came out not too long ago for about $30. Couldn't help myself! And it beats paying at least twice that for an older pressing.

seasonsinthesky
10-14-2015, 08:41 AM
I bought the vinyl and it's definitely a beautiful piece but stuff printed and pressed in the EU and UK is just stupidly expensive no matter how nice. And because so much of MA's success is tied to their UK and EU legacy, unfortunately they are unlikely to care about US distribution.

Gray Grimez
01-17-2016, 05:41 AM
Currently working on the rehearsals for this tour plus a few of the shows. Here's a few photos including set list with new song titles. Peace

http://imgur.com/a/ff7XK

october_midnight
01-21-2016, 09:17 AM
New songs appear on MA's new "Fantom" app. (http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/01/massive-attack-launch-new-app-featuring-four-new-songs-listen/)

cahernandez
01-21-2016, 12:16 PM
Splitting the Atom does not seem like a set closer, in my opinion. Great to see they are playing quite a few new songs! http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/massive-attack/2016/olympia-theatre-dublin-ireland-4bf393e6.html

theburningreptile
01-21-2016, 01:32 PM
New songs appear on MA's new "Fantom" app. (http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/01/massive-attack-launch-new-app-featuring-four-new-songs-listen/)

I hope they release this app for the android. Has anyone heard the new material and do they have All I want on there by any chance?

innerturmoil
01-21-2016, 03:55 PM
Dead Editors
Ritual Spirit
Voodoo In My Blood
Take It There

No Original versions currently available.

october_midnight
01-22-2016, 02:54 PM
Looks like the new EP 'Ritual Spirit' (http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/01/massive-attack-tease-release-of-ritual-spirit-ep/) isn't too far off...

neorev
01-23-2016, 04:29 PM
1) Massive Attack & Roots Manuva - Dead Editors 4:45
2) Massive Attack & Azekel - Ritual Spirit 3:55
3) Massive Attack & Young Fathers - Voodoo In My Blood 4:01
4) Massive Attack & Tricky & 3D - Take It There 4:31

the new EP is definitely a step in the right direction. much better than Heligoland era.

spiralhate
01-23-2016, 04:36 PM
1) Massive Attack & Roots Manuva - Dead Editors 4:45
2) Massive Attack & Azekel - Ritual Spirit 3:55
3) Massive Attack & Young Fathers - Voodoo In My Blood 4:01
4) Massive Attack & Tricky & 3D - Take It There 4:31

the new EP is definitely a step in the right direction. much better than Heligoland era.

'Dead Editors' and 'Take It There' are truly remarkable!
Can't wait to see them live on Wednesday!

perceptionnexus
01-23-2016, 06:38 PM
Arrghhh is there any way to hear the songs outside of the app? If you have to put the songs together in it I have next to no patience for that kind of stuff.

New MA is always fully welcome and appreciated any day of the year, but was really hoping for a full length announcement. Hopefully the EP is just a teaser for a new full length later in the year.

neorev
01-23-2016, 08:05 PM
Well I happened to stumble upon the EP. Apparently some Dutch music site put it up for sale by accident. A friend of mine bought it and downloaded before they took it down. I guess it didn't fully leak all over, but there are some folks who do have it.

Jord
01-24-2016, 07:08 AM
6 years to come up with a fucking EP.

r_z
01-24-2016, 07:25 AM
Is Dead Editors the same song which was released on Del Naja's and Yorke's UK Gold soundtrack (https://soundcloud.com/ukgoldfilm/sets/uk-gold-soundtrack/s-lotqa) like a year ago...?

armogi
01-25-2016, 03:22 PM
it's leaked now, i really enjoyed that track with tricky, it reminded me of how well they sound together, the rest is meh so far, it may be a grower.

Al_Hunter
01-28-2016, 07:10 AM
Up for pre order on their site. £20 seems a bit steep for a four track EP but needs must

seasonsinthesky
01-28-2016, 07:51 AM
Up for pre order on their site. £20 seems a bit steep for a four track EP but needs must

It's titled "double vinyl" but only lists the songs on sides A&B. Maybe there are bonus remixes on a second record?

october_midnight
01-28-2016, 08:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWSt_q7M3zI

Exocet
01-28-2016, 05:20 PM
I like the Roots Manuva song. And i like it more than the Heligoland material...slightly more atmospheric, but i dont find it mindblowing or anything.

Mantra
01-28-2016, 09:14 PM
"Take it There" is fucking great. I'm not particularly blown away by the rest of the songs. They're okay, nothing special. But damn, Take it There has a stronger sense of emotion that I've been missing in most of the songs they've done for the last 10 years, which to me have seemed like nothing more than atmospheric background music. There's been some good stuff, like "Live With Me" and the Hope Sandoval track, which are really powerful, but they're definitely the exception. Hopefully this new album can manage to tap into something deeper and more emotional again.

Also: Feels pretty righteous to have Tricky back in the fold. He's a huge part of what makes the song amazing.

seasonsinthesky
01-29-2016, 11:16 AM
The title track is the best song on it. Mesmerizing. Absolutely.

I'd call "Voodoo" pretty weak, though. Reminds me of "Flat of the Blade," by far the weakest song on Heligoland.

wizfan
01-31-2016, 05:32 AM
Now, we're talking. This is what Heligoland should have been. Dangerous.

Wow. THIS is more fucking like it. How hard was that? 3D, Daddy G and Tricky getting dark as fuck on a track that sounds like it was made a year after Mezzanine, with an appropriately weird music video to go with it.

Now if only they could come up with a full-length album of this kind of quality..

I'm echoing your sounds. :D

Al_Hunter
02-02-2016, 01:19 AM
Forgot to post these... Saturday night, Birmingham UK
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160202/66e61014d72451e2fb5058e1028bbc4d.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160202/ec221e30a70b3842da01ee7fb3bf901a.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160202/b4deee4c8d233feffbbec0493e70065d.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160202/6cb02e5014fbdecf246b929624aabcac.jpg

These are just a few I took on my phone. I also took some on my camera, but haven't had chance to go through those yet

fillow
02-02-2016, 03:45 AM
Those letters and numbers again? Meaning, they are still riding the exact same production they've been using since 100th Window era?

Al_Hunter
02-02-2016, 06:31 AM
Those letters and number again? Meaning, they are still riding the exact same production they've been using since 100th Window era?
I wouldn't know, first time I've seen them. I don't really care about what was happening behind them, I was more entertained by the live music.

seasonsinthesky
02-02-2016, 10:00 AM
Those letters and number again? Meaning, they are still riding the exact same production they've been using since 100th Window era?

The live band and arrangements have changed mightily, but yeah, the visuals remain. I imagine it's because they are in the same position as Tool: touring primarily for income.

At least they change the sets and play a shit ton of new material all the time.

Rdm
02-02-2016, 12:52 PM
It's titled "double vinyl" but only lists the songs on sides A&B. Maybe there are bonus remixes on a second record?

I ordered a copy from their website and it came out to be 38 dollars shipped to californian. Buying it now is probably wise seeing how every damn massive attack record shoots up for resale, and i can never afford to pay resell value.

Mantra
02-02-2016, 06:28 PM

That shit's expensive, I doubt they got the excess money to toss it all out and build a brand new setup just for variety's sake. Besides, you could maybe argue that it's just part of their live identity at this point, like MBV always doing the holocaust section at the end of every set.

seasonsinthesky
02-02-2016, 08:05 PM
I ordered a copy from their website and it came out to be 38 dollars shipped to californian. Buying it now is probably wise seeing how every damn massive attack record shoots up for resale, and i can never afford to pay resell value.

Still waiting for a reissue of 100th Window. Preferably with a smarter side layout than the inappropriately lavish 3xLP original press; it fits extremely easily on a double LP if you do 3 tracks/3 tracks/2 tracks/Antistar + LP4. This would also retain the transition from SC to BC, which is pretty killer.

Al_Hunter
02-06-2016, 10:50 AM
Still waiting for a reissue of 100th Window. Preferably with a smarter side layout than the inappropriately lavish 3xLP original press; it fits extremely easily on a double LP if you do 3 tracks/3 tracks/2 tracks/Antistar + LP4. This would also retain the transition from SC to BC, which is pretty killer.
The 3xLP version is worth owning if you can find an affordable one. I got it second hand and it is absolutely brilliant on vinyl

Rdm
02-06-2016, 11:18 AM
The 3xLP version is worth owning if you can find an affordable one. I got it second hand and it is absolutely brilliant on vinyl

I think i paid 70 dollars for my copy at amoeba. Massive attack vinyl are always top notch in sound quality.

Al_Hunter
02-06-2016, 11:20 AM
I think i paid 70 dollars for my copy at amoeba.
Pretty sure mine was about £40 middle of last year. In context, I've just paid £30 including shipping for the new Deftones 2xLP set.

Alexandros
02-23-2016, 08:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElvLZMsYXlo

Still not entirely sold on this track, but the video helps!

thevoid99
02-23-2016, 09:27 PM
That is a fucking awesome video. Love the reference to Possession as Rosamund Pike is just incredible.

eversonpoe
02-24-2016, 07:57 AM
That is a fucking awesome video. Love the reference to Possession as Rosamund Pike is just incredible.

i'm not sure about Possession (haven't seen it) but the floating sphere certainly reminded me of Phantasm haha.
and yeah, Rosamund Pike is amazing. that laugh? CHILLING. that was definitely one of the most engrossing and unsettling videos i've watched in a while.

oh, and the song is fantastic.

dlb
02-24-2016, 08:17 AM
I'm surprised no one shared his opinion on the recent live shows. I was in Munich on Sunday and I was completely blown away. It was easily one of the most captivating performances I have ever seen. While the backdrop remains the same for 10 years now I was really deeply unsettled by the up to date news (things I read that very morning before the show) and the imagery of refugees which is all so pain evoking as a fellow European myself.

Apart from that you just can't beat a band like this which so many different facettes and singers all bringing their best to the table whether it's Martina, Horace, Del Naja himself and all the other guest old and new. A very well balanced setlist combining their latest tracks, their hits and a good overview of their catalogue really sealed the deal for me.

Their shows might seem bland when watching youtube bits but damn, the sound, the atmosphere, the level of professionalism, things analogue and digital combined... truly an immersive experience. I have never seen a band this delicate, confident but in the meantime very modest. Just wow.

Massive Attack really pushed their way back into my conciousness with the stellar EP and an even more enormous live show. I hope a whole new album will follow and I get to see Del Naja again soon as he is one of my most admired modern artists.

Ruined
02-24-2016, 02:47 PM

The creepy hallway shot, and resulting violation, reminded me of Irreversible. Excellent video that added to the song. I hope I get to catch their live performance, this year.

thevoid99
03-17-2016, 04:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhI5T_NKYxc

Kate Moss still looks fucking gorgeous.

I finally heard the EP recently and honestly, it's the best thing I've heard from them since Mezzanine as I could play it over and over again. 100th Window and Heligoland have their moments but didn't grasp on me as whole albums as it got boring in some spots which is why I haven't really bothered to listen to them again like other albums.

Al_Hunter
04-10-2016, 01:51 PM
So I've started to go back to Massive Attack, stuff I'd not really paid much attention to in the past but am now looking into a bit more. I've always been "aware" of False Flags and United Snakes, but hadn't paid much attention to the songs particularly and it's only now I've discovered just how much I really like United Snakes. I'm having a little difficulty tracking down a decent quality copy of United Snakes that I can take with me on an external hard drive for in the car or on my phone for on the move - can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction? I recently got False Flags/ United Snakes on vinyl so no worries on that score, but desperately looking for a decent MP3 or other electronic format!! Help!

seasonsinthesky
04-10-2016, 02:05 PM
US was only released digitally on the False Flags promos. It might have been on one of the Heligoland deluxe editions too.

Al_Hunter
04-10-2016, 02:07 PM
US was only released digitally on the False Flags promos. It might have been on one of the Heligoland deluxe editions too.
Yeah that's all I've dug up so far, but can't find a copy of the deluxe heligoland including United snakes in the usual places. The only ones I've found have either been 128kbps or the shortened version used on the promo video

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

october_midnight
07-29-2016, 08:28 AM
Two new tracks, including 'The Spoils' featuring Hope Sandoval. (http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/07/massive-attack-and-hope-sandoval-team-up-for-the-spoils-listen/)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY0TZQTwwbk

thevoid99
07-29-2016, 03:36 PM
That is a great music video. Loved the usage of "Unfinished Symphony" in that video. I like what Massive Attack is doing. Keep it up guys.

october_midnight
08-09-2016, 11:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r31DFrFs5A

Paging NYRexall (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=911)

thevoid99
08-09-2016, 04:46 PM
This is total wank stuff. I love it.

zaps30
09-12-2016, 12:48 PM
Is there an LP coming or just digital EPs?

Al_Hunter
09-12-2016, 01:01 PM
Is there an LP coming or just digital EPs?
The Spoils on vinyl is up for pre order now...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

seasonsinthesky
11-22-2016, 10:15 AM
Next set of LP reissues are up for preorder at Amazon US and SRC Vinyl for 100th (still stupidly 3xLP), Mezzanine and Heligoland.

october_midnight
03-21-2018, 11:00 AM
Massive Attack have shuttered their Facebook account in light of the Cambridge Analytica scandal. (https://pitchfork.com/news/massive-attack-leave-facebook-due-to-cambridge-analytica-scandal/?mbid=social_twitter)

theburningreptile
03-21-2018, 11:54 AM
Weren't they going to release a new album or was the just the EP?

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-21-2018, 12:32 PM
Weren't they going to release a new album or was the just the EP?

When it comes to Massive Attack, I usually just assume nothing until the words "new album" come straight from the band somewhere. But maybe I missed something! We are overdue for one, after all.

Jord
03-21-2018, 02:06 PM
I've lost interest in Massive Attack full stop now, it's more a political show than churning out anything new of real substance. The last EP wasn't bad (a major step up from Heligoland) but they promised another EP last year followed by an album this year. They are quick enough to announce more and more gigs but no new material leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

october_midnight
09-13-2018, 01:10 PM
Mezzanine to get 20th anniversary 2xCD / 3xLP reissue in November. (https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/09/massive-attack-mezzanine-reissue-mad-professor/)

Would be great, but $143 CAD plus shipping makes it a big noooooooooooope!

neorev
09-13-2018, 01:13 PM
Mezzanine to get 20th anniversary 2xCD / 3xLP reissue in November. (https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/09/massive-attack-mezzanine-reissue-mad-professor/)

Shame they didn't include Mezzanine's b-sides. I would have liked them remastered as well. Here's hoping for a 24 bit hi-res digital copy.

eversonpoe
09-13-2018, 01:37 PM

it's even $134 USD on amazon (https://smile.amazon.com/Mezzanine-3-LP-Super-Deluxe/dp/B07GW4FCX8/ref=sr_1_4_twi_lp__2?ie=UTF8&qid=1536863775&sr=8-4&keywords=massive+attack+mezzanine), which is WAY TOO MUCH MONEY for a 3xLP, even if it comes with a book. will sadly be passing on this :(

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-14-2018, 12:43 PM
I’d feel more comfortable buying this if they hadn’t literally JUST reissued Mezzanine twice in the past couple years.

....*sigh* But, that IS a cool set. I’ll probably give in and order myself one eventually. Fingers crossed that some of that money might lead to the release of a new full length in the next, I dunno, six years or so.

ltrandazzo
09-14-2018, 01:17 PM
... Yeah, I'm part of the problem because I totally just preordered this.

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-14-2018, 05:14 PM
... Yeah, I'm part of the problem because I totally just preordered this.

Such a bittersweet feeling. “What?? What is this overpriced bullshit? It’s barely even worth it......ugh.....” *pulls out credit card*

seasonsinthesky
09-15-2018, 08:58 AM
Definitely not interested, both from the price point and the lack of good extra material. I get that the unreleased Mad Prof remix album has an 'aura' around it (and it seems to include both a Wire remix and one of a song we've never heard), but like... howsabout including Wire? The original Superpredators? Other things unheard that are made by MA and not the Prof? I don't get it.

Jord
09-15-2018, 12:08 PM
They manage to shit the bed every time these days when it comes to releases, either miss the mark or leave the best stuff off. A comprehensive box set with all the Mezzanine Era stuff would have been dope, but just a couple remixes, not even the b-sides? Nah

neorev
09-15-2018, 01:37 PM
Yeah, I agree Jord
They could have done both b-sides and remixes and people would have still bought it. But I don't really care for Mad Professor's remixes. The tracks themselves are amazing. So why would I want a remix of it? Give me original shit. Give me b-sides. Give me demos. Give me alternate versions/takes. But remixes? Nah.

XL pulled this shit with their reissue of The Prodigy's The Fat Of The Land. None of its b-sides, but they commissioned remixes from modern day electronic music producers instead. Leftfield did the same shit with their Leftism 22 reissue.

The only folks who have done amazing reissues were Underworld. They included their b-sides and tons of unreleased material for their Dubnobasswithmyheadman, Second Toughest In The Infants, and Beaucoup Fish album reissues.

The Smashing Pumpkins reissues were also great.

These are how you do it. This is how you celebrate an album. Not remixes.

halo eighteen
10-30-2018, 06:52 AM
Massive Attack w/Liz Fraser: Mezzanine XX1 2019 Tour

Jan 28 – Glasgow @ SSE Hydro
Jan 29 – Manchester @ Manchester Arena
Jan 31 – Brussels @ Palais 12
Feb 01 – Amsterdam @ AFAS Live
Feb 02 – Amsterdam @ AFAS Live
Feb 04 – Frankfurt @ Jahrhunderthalle
Feb 05 – Munich @ Zenith
Feb 06 – Milan @ Mediolanum Forum
Feb 08 – Rome @ Palalottomatica
Feb 09 – Padua @ Kioene Arena
Feb 11 – Paris @ Zenith
Feb 12 – Paris @ Zenith
Feb 13 – Nantes @ Zenith de Nantes Metropole
Feb 14 – Bordeaux @ Sant Jordi Club
Feb 16 – Barcelona @ Campo Pequeno
Feb 17 – Madrid @ Palacio Vista Alegre
Feb 18 – Lisbon @ Campo Pequeno
Feb 22 – London @ O2 Arena
Feb 24 – Dublin @ 3Arena
Mar 01 – Bristol @ Steel Yard
Mar 02 – Bristol @ Steel Yard

North American dates being announced Friday, Nov. 2:
Washington
Philadelphia
New York
Boston
Toronto
Detroit
Chicago
Saint Paul
San Francisco
Los Angeles
San Diego

holy fuck holy fuck holy fuck

somewhat_
10-30-2018, 08:01 AM
Massive Attack w/Liz Fraser: Mezzanine XX1 2019 Tour
Jan 31 – Brussels @ Palais 12
Feb 01 – Amsterdam @ AFAS Live
Feb 04 – Frankfurt @ Jahrhunderthalle
Feb 05 – Munich @ Zenith
Feb 06 – Milan @ Mediolanum Forum
Feb 08 – Rome @ Palalottomatica
Feb 09 – Padua @ Kioene Arena
Feb 11 – Paris @ Zenith
Feb 13 – Nantes @ Zenith de Nantes Metropole
Feb 14 – Bordeaux @ Bordeaux Metropole Arena
Feb 18 – Lisbon @ Campo Pequeno
Feb 22 – London @ O2 Arena
Feb 24 – Dublin @ 3Arena
Mar 01 – Bristol @ Steel Yard

North American dates being announced Friday, Nov. 2:
Washington
Philadelphia
New York
Boston
Toronto
Detroit
Chicago
Saint Paul
San Francisco
Los Angeles
San Diego

holy fuck holy fuck holy fuck

Still haven’t seen massive attack live and I’ve been waiting for that Detroit date since they cancelled on us many years ago. Definitely looking forward to this!

halo eighteen
10-30-2018, 08:07 AM
Still haven’t seen massive attack live and I’ve been waiting for that Detroit date since they cancelled on us many years ago. Definitely looking forward to this!

Dude.. I'm really hoping the third time is the charm because I've not had the best of luck with this band. I stupidly got heatstroke at Coachella in 2006 and ended up missing Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Massive Attack, and Tool. I might vaguely remember hearing bits of "Angel" as I was laying back in my tent thinking I was going to die, but that's about it. Then later that same year the visa issues with the canceled show, yeah. I won't believe it until they're actually in front of me on a stage.

october_midnight
10-30-2018, 08:42 AM
Bah, no Vancouver date. Their show here in 2010 was unbelievable, and they haven't even played anywhere nearby since.... Bah I say.

Mantra
10-30-2018, 01:16 PM
saint paul

oh my god!!!!!! oh my fucking jesus oh my god oh my god oh my god i cant breathe

loopcloses
10-30-2018, 01:20 PM
No PNW date is quite upsetting indeed, I may have to look into booking a flight to CA when the dates are released. Massive Attack is such a rare opportunity.

Toadflax
10-30-2018, 04:17 PM
Birdies are telling me the Los Angeles stop will be three nights at the Palladium. Maybe we have NIN to thank for that. :p

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-30-2018, 07:42 PM
No PNW date is quite upsetting indeed, I may have to look into booking a flight to CA when the dates are released. Massive Attack is such a rare opportunity.

Agreed. I'd prefer them to play a liiittle closer to Kansas, but I'd be willing to make a trip to finally see them live, especially for a tour celebrating the album that got me into them in the first place.

halo eighteen
10-30-2018, 07:47 PM
Given the complete lack of anything in the south/pnw, I'm really hoping that's just a tentative list of confirmed cities and that there'll be a few more on Friday.

bobbie solo
10-31-2018, 12:04 AM
I think I'l be seeing Massive Attack in 2019.

elevenism
10-31-2018, 05:33 AM
Sigh. No Denver means I can't see them.
Well, not in my current situation.

I need a hustle, damnit.

katara
11-02-2018, 05:56 AM
Caved and got myself a ticket. I've seen a few people say this is a bucket list show, and I have to agree. Mezzanine is one of my favourite albums. I'd most likely regret missing this forever.

zaps30
11-02-2018, 07:23 AM
I saw them in Boston in 2010. It was the most diverse concert crowd I've ever been to. I'll try this time. I hope it's not at the House of Blues again.

ltrandazzo
11-02-2018, 08:36 AM
Got to see them in LA back in 2010 and it was epic. Grant got drunk on champagne during the show and couldn't finish Karmacoma post-encore so Del Naja ended it for ours and his' sakes. It was amazing.

halo eighteen
11-02-2018, 09:08 AM
http://www.bochcenter.org/buy/show-listing/massive-attack

Boston is March 14 at Wang Theatre, $39.75 - $125

*edit - link dead already, there was no on sale date listed*

*edit two - price was a range*

TinDefacto
11-02-2018, 09:30 AM
http://www.bochcenter.org/buy/show-listing/massive-attack

Boston is March 14 at Wang Theatre, $39.75

*edit - link dead already, there was no on sale date listed*

Hell yesssss!! I grew up on Mezzanine and have never had the chance to see them live; so pumped I will now.

Now to debate with myself on whether to get a seat on the lower level or... the mezzanine...

halo eighteen
11-02-2018, 11:23 AM
March 11 - Montreal, QC - Place des Arts
March 12 - Toronto, ON - Sony Centre for the Performing Arts
March 14 - Boston, MA - Wang Theatre
March 15 - New York, NY - Radio City Music Hall
March 19 - Philadelphia, PA - The Met
March 20 - Washington, DC - Anthem
March 22 - Detroit, MI - Masonic Temple Theatre
March 23 - Chicago, IL - Chicago Theatre
March 24 - St. Paul, MN - Palace Theatre
March 28 - San Francisco, CA - Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
March 29 - Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Palladium
March 30 - Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Palladium
April 2 - San Diego, CA - Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theatre

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-02-2018, 11:28 AM
I might just be missing something, but any information yet regarding on-sale times for these NA dates?

Because I’m about to move heaven and earth to make sure I get a ticket to Chicago while I can.

halo eighteen
11-02-2018, 11:33 AM
I might just be missing something, but any information yet regarding on-sale times for these NA dates?

Because I’m about to move heaven and earth to make sure I get a ticket to Chicago while I can.

Seems like most shows have a presale on Wednesday with general sales on Friday. Definitely will want to check the specific show though.

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-02-2018, 11:54 AM
Seems like most shows have a presale on Wednesday with general sales on Friday. Definitely will want to check the specific show though.

Ahh, cool, thanks! I don’t have a Twitter, so naturally I never think to look there, and sure enough, the venue tweeted just a moment ago that general sale will be on the 9th. Guess I’ll have to be ready!

theimage13
11-02-2018, 01:14 PM
Anyone know how Amex presales work? I have one of their cards; how do I actually utilize that to get into the presale on Wednesday?

versusreality
11-02-2018, 01:48 PM
awesome, radio city. and I don't have to wait in the rain this time for 6 hours :)

Kid A
11-02-2018, 02:35 PM
Going to hit the CHI show. I've only seen them one, in 2010, and it was incredible!

bobbie solo
11-02-2018, 03:31 PM
That NYC date is smack dab in the middle of March Madness. Oh well, guess I'm not going after all.

You can bet at least one more Radio City will be added in there btw.

r_z
11-02-2018, 04:16 PM
Tickets scored! Excited!

halo eighteen
11-04-2018, 04:17 PM
Anyone know how Amex presales work? I have one of their cards; how do I actually utilize that to get into the presale on Wednesday?

Pretty sure from my past experiences you either have to simply use an Amex card to complete the purchase, and/or if it requires a password it's the 10-digit customer service phone number on the back of the card.

theimage13
11-04-2018, 04:19 PM
Pretty sure from my past experiences you either have to simply use an Amex card to complete the purchase, and/or if it requires a password it's the 10-digit customer service phone number on the back of the card.

Sweet. I'll make sure my card is registered as my default method of payment ahead of time and will have it sitting next to me in case I need that number. Thanks.

somewhat_
11-04-2018, 04:25 PM
Am I missing something? There isn’t an AMEX presale for the Detroit show, is there??

Edit: I’m assuming for the live nation presale on Wednesday i just need to be logged in?

halo eighteen
11-04-2018, 04:37 PM
Am I missing something? There isn’t an AMEX presale for the Detroit show, is there??

Edit: I’m assuming for the live nation presale on Wednesday i just need to be logged in?

Looks like Detroit is a Live Nation/Mobile App presale.. not sure if they'll use a password for that? Hopefully they post more info on that if it needs one.

*edit: yeah, no Amex sale for that show. From what I can tell, anyway. It's annoying that the venue doesn't even have the show listed yet*

zaps30
11-05-2018, 07:34 AM
What the heck does "local presale offers" mean for the Boston show? They have an AMEX presale and that local presale offers...does that mean go to the box office?

eversonpoe
11-05-2018, 07:42 AM
What the heck does "local presale offers" mean for the Boston show? They have an AMEX presale and that local presale offers...does that mean go to the box office?

for the chicago show, i got a presale code for being subscribed to the Metro's mailing list (they're another venue in chicago), so i'm guessing it's something like that.

halo eighteen
11-05-2018, 09:31 AM
for the chicago show, i got a presale code for being subscribed to the Metro's mailing list (they're another venue in chicago), so i'm guessing it's something like that.

yess, I got that email! I had an oh shit moment earlier when I remembered I have a doctor appointment on Wednesday right when the presale is, but I guess Chicago's is on Thursday for some reason? I'll be back to work then, but I'm used to looking for tickets there lol

seasonsinthesky
11-06-2018, 05:36 PM
I am hopefully going to the Montreal show. We'll see how presale goes...

Check out the gig description:

Mezzanine XX1 will be a totally new audio / visual production featuring Elizabeth Fraser and designed by Robert Del Naja with collaborators to be announced at a later date.

The show will re-imagine Mezzanine twenty one years on from its release using custom audio reconstructed from the original samples and influences.

Robert Del Naja says: “It’s going to be a one off piece of work; our own personalised nostalgia nightmare head trip”

Could be quite an interesting set...

halo eighteen
11-06-2018, 05:39 PM
I am hopefully going to the Montreal show. We'll see how presale goes...

Check out the gig description:

Could be quite an interesting set...[/FONT]

The listing for the St. Paul show is advertising both Elizabeth Fraser and Horace Andy being there. I wonder if that's it or if maybe they could get Shara Nelson in for the shows, too. Not even getting my hopes up on Tricky haha.

zaps30
11-07-2018, 06:42 AM

Well, I signed up for the Boston one on Monday and haven't received anything from them other than the confirmation about signing up. So either I signed up too late or that presale is done another way (in person?).

theimage13
11-07-2018, 09:03 AM
Couldn't get orchestra seats in presale, it gave me a "device error" and suggested I try a different computer. Tried again and got halfway back in the balcony. Sucks, but oh well.

somewhat_
11-07-2018, 10:25 AM
For Detroit, I got some great seats within the price range I was shooting for. Looking forward to it!

Ruined
11-07-2018, 12:16 PM
After 10 minutes I managed to get seats for the San Francisco show. Obviously, I wanted floor, but, the seats are pretty close, so, no complaints here. Just glad I finally get to see them perform, live!

deadwinterskies
11-07-2018, 10:11 PM
Sweet. Got my tix for the SD show. Now to figure out what LA show to try to get tix for.

Leviathant
11-08-2018, 08:34 PM
What were prices like for the Philly show? I've been busy AF with work this week, and was on a plane while the presale was taking place.

mostlymad
11-09-2018, 03:44 AM
I'm going to need to try to wait a while before I can get tickets, now. I must see this, though. It's one of those rare things I need to do.

theimage13
11-09-2018, 08:40 AM
What were prices like for the Philly show? I've been busy AF with work this week, and was on a plane while the presale was taking place.

Can't speak to Philly. but Boston was $85 for about a third of the way back on the balcony, and closer to $100 for the back of the orchestra underneath the overhangs.

seasonsinthesky
11-09-2018, 09:39 AM
Buying tickets blows. Sitting forever in the Ticketmaster queue.

Kid A
11-09-2018, 09:47 AM
Good luck to those trying today! I managed a 9th row pair for Chicago yesterday and can't wait!

EDIT: 2nd NYC date and 3rd LA date added.

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-09-2018, 10:20 AM
I gave up on waiting for Chicago and managed to instantly get Washington DC. AHHHHHH FUCK. I can not fucking wait.

fortheloveofgod
11-09-2018, 11:39 AM
Got my DC tix!!! It’s actually been 20 years since I have seen them live. Last time was the 9:30 club in ‘98!

Mantra
11-09-2018, 12:09 PM
I got my tickets, but Jesus that was a harrowing experience.

I was waiting there ready to order the second they went on sale, but when it came time to order the site started freaking out, I guess cause they were getting slammed. When it finally started working again after about a minute, it said "No Tickets Available." So I thought I'd missed out, and I was more or less was ready to begin crying my ass off. But I saw that the Palace Theater twitter account said to keep hitting refresh, so I did, and I managed grabbed two floor tickets that came available. Man, when I saw those tickets available, I swear I thought my heart was going to pound right out of my fucking chest.

But anyway, I got my fucking tickets. Thank god. I feel like I've been waiting for this my whole life.

zaps30
11-09-2018, 04:59 PM
I got 2 tickets to the Boston show. A few rows behind where our NIN seats were. This will be our 2nd time seeing them.

Anyone catch that the Mezzanine remaster is delayed now until January?

Miss.Selfdestruct
11-09-2018, 05:48 PM
Scored 2 tix for 2nd L.A. show, woo!

eversonpoe
11-10-2018, 09:27 AM
i started my new job on thursday and completely forgot about the presale (and the regular sale yesterday) so i guess i'm missing this :(

halo eighteen
11-10-2018, 10:26 AM
i started my new job on thursday and completely forgot about the presale (and the regular sale yesterday) so i guess i'm missing this :(

:( I didn't realize it was already sold out. Hopefully more tickets will pop up again. I thought I was doing Chicago, but I was able to score 2nd row for Detroit so my partner and I decided that was probably good enough. Plus, Hælos is touring around that same time and will involve us either going to Chicago or DC, so yeah. Absolutely love them.

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-10-2018, 10:42 AM

That's the worst. I was busy at work and didn't remember the presale until 5 minutes after it started, and had already missed out. Hopefully something opens up closer to the show! If you're insane like me and don't have a problem driving halfway across the country for a show, tickets are still available for Washington DC at least? But then again, I'm the kind of person who buys tickets before I even know how I'm getting there, heh.

Unrelated - If I recall, the special edition vinyl was sold out before, and seems to be available now. So as much as I don't want to pay that price tag, maybe now I can actually get a copy in the next month or so.

october_midnight
01-29-2019, 09:53 AM
The first show of the Mezzanine anniversary tour looked to be sufficiently bonkers. (https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/01/massive-attack-mezzanine-tour-kickoff/)

Sigh...

bobbie solo
01-30-2019, 01:24 AM
damn March Madness is going to probably prevent me from being able to attend their shows here.

fillow
01-30-2019, 02:15 AM
Eh. Pretty unimpressed with that setlist. 5 random covers in a 15-song show? I could live with Horace's track since he's pretty much a member, but the rest were unnecessary IMO.

Jord
01-30-2019, 07:50 AM
Saw this last night in Manchester. It was awesome, but the covers were a little strange, I guess it's what they were influenced by at the time of making the record? Nevertheless, Dissolved Girl was fantastic, although the vocals were a backing track. Man Next Door was fantastic and the Liz Fraser songs were spellbinding, I know she rarely performs these days so it was special to get her singing. The visuals were very political, very striking and lots of food for thought.

Overall a good night, but I would've preferred they axed the covers and played an encore of a couple of originals.

r_z
01-30-2019, 10:00 AM
According to the band those covers are songs they sampled or drew inspiration from when making Mezzanine.

ImTheWiseJanitor
01-30-2019, 10:11 AM
According to the band those covers are songs they sampled or drew inspiration from when making Mezzanine.

What I’m really curious to find out is how much the setlist changes from night to night. I’m excited either way, though, because this’ll be my first time finally getting to see them play. Just realized this is also going to be the furthest I’ve traveled to see a live show, hah. At least I can take a few extra days to see DC, I haven’t been there in years.

fortheloveofgod
01-30-2019, 10:36 AM
What I’m really curious to find out is how much the setlist changes from night to night. I’m excited either way, though, because this’ll be my first time finally getting to see them play. Just realized this is also going to be the furthest I’ve traveled to see a live show, hah. At least I can take a few extra days to see DC, I haven’t been there in years.

Seeing them in DC too! Saw them last in 1998 at the 9:30 club for the original Mezzanine Tour.

eversonpoe
01-30-2019, 10:55 AM
i am so, so sad i didn't get a ticket for chicago :(

ImTheWiseJanitor
01-30-2019, 11:42 AM
i am so, so sad i didn't get a ticket for chicago :(

Not gonna lie, if I happen across a ticket on the secondary market between now and the show date, there’s a chance I’ll take it and just drive to Chicago and back the same day just for the show. Would not be the first time I’ve done this for Chicago. ^^’ I have a problem.

dlb
02-02-2019, 07:49 AM
Anyone who was there yet and can spill some details about the merch? Going on Tuesday and will post a pic if anyone is interested.

r_z
02-05-2019, 07:33 AM
Been to the show yesterday. Great performance overall. They threw in a cover of Bela Lugosi's Dead.

I think, I liked the performances of Mezzanine, Group Four and Risingson the most. The visuals were great - still thinking about some of the stuff. Also, it was great to see Liz Fraser sing.

Those fucking smartphones, though. Really put me off during Teardrop.

Jord
02-05-2019, 08:21 AM
It's been a week since I went and the cover of Where Have All The Flowers Gone still haunts me, alongside those visuals. I learnt that the first night in Glasgow had uncensored images of real fucked up shit that they pixellated in Manchester. Haunting stuff that left an impression.

dlb
02-06-2019, 07:03 AM
Heard a couple of negative reviews and didn't know what to make of them until yesterday... something just felt off as I have never enjoyed a show more while disliking a lot of elements. The visuals just didn't click with me although they are very similar to their usual show. The band sounded great and tight but I just didn't like my fourth MA show... sadly.

Some of the cover versions sounded great but I was very much reminded of the Tricky show I saw a couple of years back where did some 1:1 covers aswell that felt rather akward in context.

Merch was very limited, mostly prints and some shirts. The usual.

r_z
02-10-2019, 12:47 PM
So I tried to compile a CD with post-Heligoland material that would make for a cohesive listen in album length and this is what I came up with:

1. Dead Editors (w/ Roots Manuva)
2. Ritual Spirit (w/ Azekel)
3. Voodoo In My Blood (w/ Young Fathers)
4. Take It There (w/ Tricky)
5. WPIC (w/ Tunde Adebimpe)
6. The Spoils (w/ Hope Sandoval)
7. Come Near Me (w/ Ghostpoet)
8. Watching You (Extended RMX) (w/ Jean-Michel Jarre)
9. He Says He Needs Me (w/ Young Fathers)
10. Mad Lifeline (w/ Tunde Adebimpe)
11. For Nothing (w/ Lyndsey Lupe)
12. Dear Friend (w/ James Massiah)

fillow
02-10-2019, 01:11 PM
Wait, they've got so much stuff released? Or is it including new live-only tracks? I only knew they had 4-track EP and The Spoils/Come Near Me single

armogi
02-10-2019, 01:28 PM
So I tried to compile a CD with post-Heligoland material that would make for a cohesive listen in album length and this is what I came up with:

looks like i am missing some here, seems they are mostly 3D remixes tho, that's not all massive attack proper (if that means anything anyways...)

chuckrh
02-10-2019, 01:45 PM
nice cover version of "10:15 Saturday Night" from recent show up on youtube

r_z
02-10-2019, 01:55 PM
looks like i am missing some here, seems they are mostly 3D remixes tho, that's not all massive attack proper (if that means anything anyways...)
Yeah, most of it is 3D produced stuff. Then again, the whole Ritual Spirit EP seems to be produced by 3D and Euan Dickinson respectively, while the Spoils one is by Grant and his co-producer. 100th Window was 3D and Neil Davidge with no involvement of G at all. So...

armogi
02-10-2019, 03:35 PM
Yeah, most of it is 3D produced stuff. Then again, the whole Ritual Spirit EP seems to be produced by 3D and Euan Dickinson respectively, while the Spoils one is by Grant and his co-producer. 100th Window was 3D and Neil Davidge with no involvement of G at all. So...

absolutely right, after mezzanine it's been mostly 3D, i just try to separate originals and remixes :)
I didn't realize it was 3D with Euan on the obia ep tho so this one is quite legitimately a massive attack track

Jord
02-11-2019, 02:48 AM
I wonder if we'll ever get the Daddy G produced follow up EP to Ritual Spirit...being a MA fan sure is testing at times.

ltrandazzo
02-11-2019, 08:36 AM
I wonder if we'll ever get the Daddy G produced follow up EP to Ritual Spirit...being a MA fan sure is testing at times.

I know it's categorized as a single, but the impression I got from The Spoils is THAT was the follow up to Ritual Spirit. Both songs are produced by G - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spoils_(song)

r_z
02-11-2019, 01:36 PM
absolutely right, after mezzanine it's been mostly 3D, i just try to separate originals and remixes :)
I didn't realize it was 3D with Euan on the obia ep tho so this one is quite legitimately a massive attack track
The only remix in my sequence is the one with Jean-Michel-Jarre. Everything else is original material with Adebimpe's songs being covers.

mauro995
02-12-2019, 03:56 PM

I just heard this playlist in this order and I loved it. Ritual Spirit and The Spoils were great, but really I also needed something in the form of a full lenth record after so many years.

Jord
02-13-2019, 03:16 AM

Will definitely be giving this a whirl before the week's out, it's gotta be better than Heligoland.

mauro995
02-17-2019, 09:38 AM
After giving this thing some listens I ended making my own playlist which is a shortened version that flows even better in my opinion.

5. The Spoils (w/ Hope Sandoval)
6. Come Near Me (w/ Ghostpoet)
7. Mad Lifeline (w/ Tunde Adebimpe)
8. He Says He Needs Me (w/ Young Fathers)
9. For Nothing (w/ Lyndsey Lupe)
10. Dear Friend (w/ James Massiah)

The Doctor
02-18-2019, 10:08 PM
Damn, I went to go create this playlist on Spotify but some of it is not there...sigh.

deadwinterskies
02-19-2019, 07:49 PM
Damn, I went to go create this playlist on Spotify but some of it is not there...sigh.

Ditto, but the missing tracks can be found on YouTube.

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-06-2019, 11:18 AM
Just wanted to put the feelers out there - Does anybody here happen to have a ticket to the Chicago show they might want to part with? I’d be willing to pay above cost for it. Let me know and we can work out a deal! (There are some on stubhub, but for like $140 a pop.)

I’m considering going to the Chicago show instead of DC to save myself a ton of financial strain, so if that goes through I’ll have a ticket to the Washington DC show for sale, too!

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-08-2019, 12:24 PM
Aaand double post for an update from Jam Productions on the Facebook page for the Chicago show:

Massive Attack regret to announce that the upcoming Mezzanine XXI shows in the USA and Canada have been postponed due to illness. The shows will be rescheduled for this fall, with a full announcement to be made on Thursday March 14th. All current tickets will be valid for the new dates.

The band are deeply sorry for any inconvenience and are looking forward to bringing the show to the USA and Canada soon.

Well. That sucks. :/ At least I don’t need to sell my ticket now. Looking forward to the full announcement next week, though.

halo eighteen
03-08-2019, 12:25 PM
I have the WORST FUCKING LUCK with this band. Detroit damn well better be on a new set of dates. I'm already having a shit day and this isn't helping.

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-08-2019, 12:33 PM
I have the WORST FUCKING LUCK with this band. Detroit damn well better be on a new set of dates. I'm already having a shit day and this isn't helping.

I’m very curious to see whether any new shows will be added, or if the sets will change slightly to add any different material. Hope the new dates work out for you though! For me, the delay is kind of a godsend (although a bummer because I’ve been waiting like 15 years to see this band). Just gives me more time to stash money away and go ham on merch or make a bigger trip out of it, but I know this isn’t the case for many other people.

halo eighteen
03-08-2019, 12:50 PM
I’m very curious to see whether any new shows will be added, or if the sets will change slightly to add any different material. Hope the new dates work out for you though! For me, the delay is kind of a godsend (although a bummer because I’ve been waiting like 15 years to see this band). Just gives me more time to stash money away and go ham on merch or make a bigger trip out of it, but I know this isn’t the case for many other people.

As long as there's a Detroit show, I'll be there. It's the closest thing to a local show for me and I guess unless it's on Sept 8 (same night as Bush/Live/OLP but let's be real, I would still go see MA instead) I'm good to go. I'm more worried that they won't reschedule every show.