PDA

View Full Version : Starting a NIN Podcast

Pages : [1] 2

KarenLeslie
08-22-2013, 02:09 PM
This is carrying over from the Random NIN questions thread, where we were talking about the possibility of starting a NIN podcast. I got the idea because I like listening to podcasts while I draw and tried to find a NIN one, and realized it didn't exist yet. Maybe we can make one.

A little bit of my background in regards to podcasts: I did host an anime podcast for a while a few years ago, which I edited myself. I've also guested on a few podcasts, so I'm not a total podcast newb. That said, I'm not sure I'd be the best person for hosting duties...there's nothing like being sick for a few days and then getting a bunch of emails like "OMG, where is the podcast? Have you edited it? Is it uploaded? WHERE PODCAST?" I don't know if I'm ready to sign up for that AGAIN, but then again, this could end up being a casual thing without hard deadlines, so it may be doable.

Anyway, this thread is just for hashing out ideas and seeing who might be interested in appearing and/or contributing. It's been my experience that having a conversation on Skype and then recording it is easy, but planning a podcast that's actually worth people's time to listen to is a whole 'nother matter:).

OSLIN
08-22-2013, 02:12 PM
You should try like a trial run. I think the first show should be a discussion on the new release Hesitation Marks. I am down to contribute in anyway possible.
I think we should discuss a title and once everyone has their input on here we seriously talk about starting this up.

Euphemism
08-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Great idea! I love podcasts and I would totally be into this! Let me know if you need help of any kind.

sheepdean
08-22-2013, 02:16 PM
I'd be more than happy to get involved with this - could host on soundcloud or tumblr don't forget, very easy to do. But some kind of framework would be needed

KarenLeslie
08-22-2013, 02:22 PM
You should try like a trial run.

Yeah, that would probably be the best way to do it. That's how I'm approaching the game I'm making as well, trying to make the first 1-2 hours a complete adventure, so even if I don't end up completing the entire game, I'll still have one satisfying, completed project. Even if we only ended up doing the one Hesitation Marks show, some people would enjoy it.
@sheepdean (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=350) : What I used to do in terms of structure back in the day was make up an outline for each episode, then paste it into the Skype chat right before we recorded. It would be a pretty loose outline, but that way we could subtly nudge each other back on track when we'd gone off on one topic for too long.

sheepdean
08-22-2013, 02:37 PM
That all seems to work to me. HM would be a logical start, but if it was to be done before the album came out, maybe an overview ep then HM as e2. I don't know, seems like a fun idea, though, as I said, feels very, very finite.

OSLIN
08-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Podcast Title Ideas
Yes, some of these are cringe worthy, but I'm just throwing out feelers.

The Pigs Podcast (some variation)
Echoes the Sound (some variation)
And All That is NIN
Nine Inch Nailed
Closer to Pod
Podcast (version)
10 Dials High
The Four of Us are Podcasting
Underneath It All
Digging Even Deeper
Ripe (with Opinions)
Opinions 30
The Collectors
Human Junk Just Words
Capital P
The Void
Our Version of the Truth
Zeros and Ones
I Want to Talk it Up
The Silencing Machine
Some Second Thoughts
Podcasters, Inc.
A Warm Place
All The Time in the World
Above the Trees
The Warning
Waiting and Picking

hani
08-22-2013, 02:46 PM
a great episode would be a direct comparison of elements in HM and TDS since they're connected, according to Trent.

binaryhermit
08-22-2013, 02:48 PM
Closer to Pod
I like this one.

sheepdean
08-22-2013, 02:51 PM
I've always wanted to finish writing up the "Bleedthrough" analysis of With Teeth, looking at how the remaining elements are still related to the original concept. Might be a show idea.

Also, Pigcast

Hitman2110
08-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Podcast Title Ideas
Yes, some of these are cringe worthy, but I'm just throwing out feelers.

The Pigs Podcast (some variation)
Echoes the Sound (some variation)
And All That is NIN
Nine Inch Nailed
Closer to Pod
Podcast (version)
10 Dials High
The Four of Us are Podcasting
Underneath It All
Digging Even Deeper
Ripe (with Opinions)
Opinions 30
The Collectors
Human Junk Just Words
Capital P
The Void
Our Version of the Truth
Zeros and Ones
I Want to Talk it Up
The Silencing Machine
Some Second Thoughts
Podcasters, Inc.
A Warm Place
All The Time in the World
Above the Trees
The Warning
Waiting and Picking

I like:

Closer To Pod
And All That Is NIN
Ripe (With Opinions)
The Four Of Us are Podcasting
Underneath It All
Our Version of the Truth

KarenLeslie
08-22-2013, 03:03 PM
"And All That is NIN" is probably the best title in terms of making it clear that we're open to everything NIN-related, not just the songs themselves.

Closer To Pod and Podcast(version) are ADORABLE though:). That's a really fun list.

Toadflax
08-22-2013, 03:17 PM
I saw the first post and was going to write, "I'm in as long as it's not called Closer To Pod."

...then I read the rest of the thread. Whoops.

That, said, I'd love to help! I do think an appropriate lyric/song title would be better than a pun, though. Closer To Pod, Pod Money, Pod Is Dead, etc. sound too kitschy.

Something that references Echoing The Sound and Hesitation Marks at the same time:

Echo Of An Echo

tony.parente
08-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Can't we just call it "Down In It: The NIN Podcast"?

It's not punny, it's straight to the point, it's not trying to hard and I won't be embarassed telling my friends what it's called.

Just my 2 cents.

OSLIN
08-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Can't we just call it "Down In It: The NIN Podcast"?

It's not punny, it's straight to the point, it's not trying to hard and I won't be embarassed telling my friends what it's called.

Just my 2 cents.

How about Down Wit It? Then you can tell your homies.

OSLIN
08-22-2013, 03:47 PM
I think starting the podcast with a Pinion/New Flesh mix is a must. Anybody really good with sound mixing?

Toadflax
08-22-2013, 04:18 PM
I think starting the podcast with a Pinion/New Flesh mix is a must. Anybody really good with sound mixing?

I make electronic music, so I'm pretty experienced with Logic Pro. I'm sure I can make whatever we need happen. I'm also getting pretty good at Photoshop if we need any artwork. Time permitting, of course.

eversonpoe
08-22-2013, 04:18 PM

:: raises hand ::

i'll have it for you by the end of the weekend.

edit: do you want any kind of voice-over introduction? or just the music?

gorast
08-22-2013, 04:21 PM
I'd be willing to contribute with helping to plan each episode out, as well as speaking if need be.

OSLIN
08-22-2013, 04:28 PM
Yeah once we have all the details we can figure out, who will be contributing. Also, if anyone is out there that has actually podcasted before, your knowledge would be invaluable.
Thanks everyone, I will PM you soon.

Butterscotch
08-22-2013, 04:32 PM
I have a title for the podcast.

Black Bomb (Podcast in the Bag)

OSLIN
08-22-2013, 04:34 PM
I have a title for the podcast.

Black Bomb (Podcast in the Bag)

Josh Wink Wink

KarenLeslie
08-22-2013, 07:14 PM

But being too embarrassed to tell your friends is what podcasting is all about!

I jotted down a few more ideas, then the forum went down and I lost my post. Gah. Oh well, more later.

ImTheWiseJanitor
08-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Oh, snap. I like this idea. If the ball gets rolling soon enough, it could even cover some monthly/(dare I say) weekly updates about tour. I'd listen to that.

Mark Fraser
08-22-2013, 07:49 PM
I'd 100% be down to contribute if you guys need an extra voice.

greenbaymackey
08-22-2013, 08:10 PM
I would definitely listen to every episode of this. Just putting that out there in case you guys are gauging interest.

I like Podcast (version), or something simple like NINcast.

edit: I'm a longtime lurker here, but I like this idea so much I had to finally say something.

KarenLeslie
08-22-2013, 08:17 PM
I would definitely listen to every episode of this. Just putting that out there in case you guys are gauging interest.

Cool, thanks.

Just to clarify, I'm okay with hosting the first episode (and given the fact that I'm currently writing show outlines in my head, I may as well), I was just saying in the OP that I don't know if I wanna be the host if this ends up being a dozens-of-episodes dealie. But in the short term, I'm assuming I'm hosting the pilot episode unless anyone wants to fight about it.

I'm also willing to edit the podcast audio, including editing in any musical intros/outros that the more musically inclined provide. The main thing I really do is take out dead air and any superfluous "ums" and things, but I like to do it myself to know that it gets done. Way too many podcasts are really sloppy about that....

eversonpoe
08-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Cool, thanks.

Just to clarify, I'm okay with hosting the first episode (and given the fact that I'm currently writing show outlines in my head, I may as well), I was just saying in the OP that I don't know if I wanna be the host if this ends up being a dozens-of-episodes dealie. But in the short term, I'm assuming I'm hosting the pilot episode unless anyone wants to fight about it.

I'm also willing to edit the podcast audio, including editing in any musical intros/outros that the more musically inclined provide. The main thing I really do is take out dead air and any superfluous "ums" and things, but I like to do it myself to know that it gets done. Way too many podcasts are really sloppy about that....

one of my specialties is dialogue editing, so if you don't feel like it, i'm well-versed. :)

KarenLeslie
08-22-2013, 08:33 PM
That would be cool...must...hold back...control freak side....

Lol, that would be great. I don't particularly enjoy audio editing, I just got roped into doing it in the past since I was the only one who really cared, and I think it's necessary.

Unrelated, but I need to get myself a custom title and avatar, since I feel awkward trying to spearhead this as a "Hairy Member" >__<. It's not the $5 that's the issue, it's the fact that I'm kind of afraid to find out what's happened to my Paypal account from a zillion years ago. Oh well, guess I gotta bite that bullet sooner or later.

OSLIN
08-22-2013, 08:43 PM
It would be interesting to have podcast artwork that incorporated all the different NIN eras.

thefragile_jake
08-22-2013, 08:47 PM
I would love to help contribute to this!

gorast
08-22-2013, 09:50 PM
It would be interesting to have podcast artwork that incorporated all the different NIN eras.

Each episode could have artwork that's reflective of the dominant topic, or it could cycle through each era every episode.

OSLIN
08-22-2013, 09:56 PM

Each episode could have artwork that's reflective of the dominant topic, or it could cycle through each era every episode.

I agree if we are doing a review/discussing a certain topic you can have that. I'm thinking of a standard general artwork for the miscellaneous topics. Sort of like a logo for the show. I'm not the greatest graphic artist but I'm sure there's plenty of people roaming these here boards that excel in that sorta thing.

Vertigo
08-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Been working on an intro today, cobbled from NIN intro and outro tracks of various eras. Lasts just under 50 seconds, I've almost finished and plan on uploading it to Soundcloud after dinner.

OSLIN
08-23-2013, 01:30 PM
@Vertigo (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=628)
Look forward to hearing it. I'm working on an outline too.
If you have any thing to add to the podcast you should share it with KarenLeslie.

KarenLeslie
08-23-2013, 02:32 PM
I wanted to link some examples of the podcast I used to host back in the day, but apparently the files aren't available for download anymore because the site sucks and is trying to destroy all evidence of the time when it was cool. Anyway, you can still check out what the show posts I did used to look like, which included a header image (different every time, but with some common design elements-- most of the time someone else did them), and show notes including time stamps.

http://www.japanator.com/japanator-am-episode-7-let-s-draw-magma-13780.phtml#ext

http://www.japanator.com/japanator-am-12-of-dubbing-and-subbing-14451.phtml#ext

Vertigo
08-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Okay, well... this is it. I'm not entirely sure Right Where It Belongs was the best way to end it, but whatever, I did try to match the pitch and tempo. It sounded an awful lot better while I was working on it.
:/

https://soundcloud.com/nick-porter-4/nin-collage

OSLIN
08-23-2013, 03:22 PM
Yeah, it's great but RWIB does not mesh well at all. Maybe you can try the end of TWOIT or the beginning of BOTE or TL on a loop.

Vertigo
08-23-2013, 03:27 PM
TWOIT's a good idea. Any other suggestions? It'd be pretty easy for me just to throw something else in there.

Also thinking I should strip out the first few seconds a little, there's rather a lot going on at once.

OSLIN
08-23-2013, 03:33 PM
A Pinion, New Flesh, 999,999 hybrid leading into the guitar riff from TWOIT, with vocals just saying Underneath it All then fading with the end of TWOIT or ANVOTT.

OSLIN
08-23-2013, 03:36 PM
What do you guys think about these Podcast titles?
And All That is NIN
Underneath it All: The NIN Podcast
Spiral Speak: A NIN Podcast

I know we have some creative thinkers out there, I haven't heard the one that just screams YES! YES! YES! yet.
I do enjoy Podcast (version), but only a few select would get that.

KarenLeslie
08-23-2013, 04:02 PM
"Underneath It All: The NIN Podcast" is good because it implies that we will be discussing the potential meanings of songs and doing some actual analysis, as opposed to just saying "this song is awesome" a lot. I'm flexible though; in practice, people are going to end up calling it by an abbreviation like NINcast anyway:p

OSLIN
08-23-2013, 04:08 PM
I'm flexible though; in practice, people are going to end up calling it by an abbreviation like NINcast anyway:p

So true, very ninteresting.

eversonpoe
08-23-2013, 04:43 PM
"Underneath It All: The NIN Podcast" is good because it implies that we will be discussing the potential meanings of songs and doing some actual analysis, as opposed to just saying "this song is awesome" a lot. I'm flexible though; in practice, people are going to end up calling it by an abbreviation like NINcast anyway:p

totally did not mean to facepalm this. sorry!

OSLIN
08-23-2013, 04:47 PM
eversonpoe
Would you be able to create an intro that's like 40 seconds long that incorporates the song Underneath it All? Thanks!

eversonpoe
08-23-2013, 05:36 PM
@eversonpoe (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=588)
Would you be able to create an intro that's like 40 seconds long that incorporates the song Underneath it All? Thanks!

aye aye, captain!

will have it to you by monday morning the latest.

KarenLeslie
08-24-2013, 03:05 PM
http://otakusphere.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/underneathitall.jpg

Butterscotch
08-24-2013, 03:07 PM
That has got to be one of the most adorable things I've ever seen.

Mark Fraser
08-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Okay, well... this is it. I'm not entirely sure Right Where It Belongs was the best way to end it, but whatever, I did try to match the pitch and tempo. It sounded an awful lot better while I was working on it.
:/

https://soundcloud.com/nick-porter-4/nin-collage

Personally, I think that the ending is great. It doesn't mix perfectly but I kind of prefer it that way. It sends a clear message to the listener that "THIS IS THE TIME WHEN WE ARE GOING TO PULL A ZANE LOWE AND TALK OVER THE MUSIC".

thefragile_jake
08-24-2013, 04:03 PM
http://otakusphere.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/underneathitall.jpg

I love it! Please, we should all really consider doing this!

KarenLeslie
08-24-2013, 04:19 PM
Thanks guys.

If any visual types want just the layer of the piggy and the mic to perhaps make a cooler image out of it, they're welcome to it. I can make art but I'm not much of a graphic designer.

OSLIN
08-25-2013, 08:39 AM
That's awesome! If I could suggest maybe some Russell or Mills artwork as the background, maybe a combo of the both.
Maybe a Nin font for the writing with a backwards "P" in Podcast.

Toadflax
08-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Thanks guys.

If any visual types want just the layer of the piggy and the mic to perhaps make a cooler image out of it, they're welcome to it. I can make art but I'm not much of a graphic designer.

Could you send it to Toadflax@aol.com? I love what you have, but I've been spending a lot of time in Photoshop lately, so I'd like to at least play and see if I can incorporate some NIN background. Also, someone in another forum mentioned what the TDS/HM font is, so maybe I could incorporate that.

And just because I don't think anyone has yet: Conversation Marks.

eversonpoe
08-25-2013, 01:57 PM
how's this for an intro? (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3587448/NIN%20Podcast.wav)

combination of underneath it all, the new flesh, and pinion. did a bunch of small edits and volume adjustments...i think it's attention-grabbing and slightly disorienting (like a proper NIN song), familiar and yet new.

also, let me know if you'd like it in MP3 format or if WAV is ok.

Toadflax
08-25-2013, 02:39 PM
how's this for an intro? (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3587448/NIN Podcast.wav)

combination of underneath it all, the new flesh, and pinion. did a bunch of small edits and volume adjustments...i think it's attention-grabbing and slightly disorienting (like a proper NIN song), familiar and yet new.

I'm a fan.

OSLIN
08-25-2013, 02:47 PM
how's this for an intro? (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3587448/NIN Podcast.wav)

Very fucking nice sir!

OSLIN
08-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Could you send it to Toadflax@aol.com? I love what you have, but I've been spending a lot of time in Photoshop lately, so I'd like to at least play and see if I can incorporate some NIN background. Also, someone in another forum mentioned what the TDS/HM font is, so maybe I could incorporate that.

And just because I don't think anyone has yet: Conversation Marks.

Yeah, I would like to see what you can come up with. I think we are sticking with Underneath It All: A NIN Podcast, but that would be a good title for the pilot episode since we will be discussing the new album.

Thanks for your time!

Also, any artwork or additional input can be PM'd to @KarenLeslie (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2818).

Butterscotch
08-25-2013, 02:51 PM

Oh my god, I want to have sex with this intro.

Well done.

binaryhermit
08-25-2013, 02:52 PM
You'll probably at least want to FLAC up the intro before sending it. MP3 would probably work too, though you'd want to use a high bitrate.

theSplinter04
08-25-2013, 02:54 PM
I think we are sticking with Underneath It All: A NIN Podcast, but that would be a good title for the pilot episode since we will be discussing the new album.

Shouldn't it be The NIN Podcast? Are there other ones?

thefragile_jake
08-25-2013, 02:54 PM

This is really cool! Great job!

eversonpoe
08-25-2013, 03:41 PM
You'll probably at least want to FLAC up the intro before sending it. MP3 would probably work too, though you'd want to use a high bitrate.

(not being combative, actually wondering) why would we need it in FLAC format? WAV is perfectly playable (and lossless). i didn't know if it needed to be MP3 for more convenient, small file size or anything, but FLAC seems unnecessary...

binaryhermit
08-25-2013, 03:45 PM
(not being combative, actually wondering) why would we need it in FLAC format? WAV is perfectly playable (and lossless). i didn't know if it needed to be MP3 for more convenient, small file size or anything, but FLAC seems unnecessary...
Because a FLAC file is smaller than WAV, still lossless, and smaller obviously means less disk space and less bandwidth/less time transferring.

OSLIN
08-25-2013, 05:04 PM

They're interchangeable. That's what I had at first but then KarenLeslie made the artwork using "a". I think with "the" it sounds more like NIN is broadcasting it themselves, where as "a podcast" is saying its a podcast made from an outside source. That's my perspective on it, but I have been known to be full of shit.

Toadflax
08-25-2013, 05:23 PM

I was thinking the same thing (Conversation Marks was a joke).

Underneath It All: The Nine Inch Nails Podcast.

Sounds badass and final. Just try and start another one. We will destroy you.

Toadflax
08-25-2013, 06:07 PM
Thanks for your email, Karen. I actually already started on this from the existing image. This is just a rough draft, but I wanted to see what people thought before spending too much time on it.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s292/brianbitner/UIA.jpg

Toadflax
08-25-2013, 06:19 PM
This is a little cleaner. The text is smaller- more like the albums.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s292/brianbitner/UIA2.jpg

Toadflax
08-25-2013, 06:24 PM
I can also darken Piggy to fit in with the image a little better, but I kinda like the wackiness of it as is. I just noticed his collar. Awesome.

KarenLeslie
08-25-2013, 06:27 PM
Great job on the intro, eversonpoe!

They're interchangeable. That's what I had at first but then KarenLeslie made the artwork using "a". I think with "the" it sounds more like NIN is broadcasting it themselves, where as "a podcast" is saying its a podcast made from an outside source.

That was exactly my reasoning behind using "a." I think we're going to want to make it clear this is unofficial.

Here's some other stuff that might seem super-obvious to most, but I thought it best to put it down in writing:

-For those who don't know, the easiest way to record a podcast is over Skype. We're going to want more than one person recording the conversation, because there's nothing worse than recording a 2 hour podcast and then finding out that your recording failed (NOT THAT I WOULD KNOW OR ANYTHING.) It is possible to utilize audio clips from people who can't be a part of the Skype chat for whatever reason, but that would create more work for the person editing the podcast together, so it's not a trivial effort.

-We should avoid talk of TR's private life, and the Reznor family in general. I know it's a bit of a fine line since so much of Trent's music is inspired by events in his life, but I think it's easy to differentiate what's appropriate from what isn't: talking about his substance abuse and recovery re:With Teeth is relevant to the music; talking about what celebrity he may or may not have dated isn't relevant.

-Due to the content of NIN lyrics, I don't think there would be any avoiding getting the "Explicit" tag if this podcast goes to Itunes, so it would be pretty silly to have restrictions on swearing. That said, the folks on the podcast should treat one another with a certain level of respect; you can say "Fist Fuck" when you're talking about Wish, but that's very different from calling me a "fucking bitch" if I disagree with you about something. Just because we are free to use all the naughty words we want doesn't mean we can't have class:).

-Podcast cast members should be willing to do a certain minimum amount of prep work before shows. It's nothing difficult, mostly just being familiar with whatever we're going to be discussing beforehand. For example, if we're doing an episode on With Teeth and you haven't actually listened to WT in four years, take a little while to listen to the whole album and maybe jot down some notes. Just that little bit of forethought by everyone involved can make the discussion so much richer.

-You will never make everyone happy in regard to show structure. If we run a really tight ship and always stay on topic, sticking to the outline like glue, some listeners will like it, yet some will complain that the show is too serious and has no spontaneity. If the show runs long, or if we go off on a lot of tangents, some will find it sloppy but some will enjoy the surprises. You just have to play it by ear and end up doing what works for your particular group. It may, and probably will, take several episodes before we find a balance that feels right.

EDIT: Toadflax: I think the TDS artwork might make a better bg for the image than the HM art. It looks a little busy to me-- plus, the image should be smaller than that because the art gets pixellated when you blow it up.

Toadflax
08-25-2013, 06:36 PM
EDIT: Toadflax: I think the TDS artwork might make a better bg for the image than the HM art. It looks a little busy to me-- plus, the image should be smaller than that because the art gets pixellated when you blow it up.

Yeah, I can recreate whatever we settle on once we're there to help with clarity and pixelation (and change "the" to "a"). I'm just doing quick drafts for now.

And, appropriately enough, I had already started on a TDS version:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s292/brianbitner/UIATDS.jpg

Toadflax
08-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Okay, last post until someone else is in here with me, I promise.

I don't think any of us wants to not see Piggy in all his glory, but I blacked him out by accident and decided to run with it. It's obviously less fun but does make for a more consistent aesthetic:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s292/brianbitner/UIATDS2.jpg

In other news, I went to Photobucket to host these images. I haven't been there in about five years, and here's what I found in there. A capture I took when I noticed Jeordie's face shows up in the (I think) Vessel breakdown of LITS:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s292/brianbitner/Capture-0.jpg

And a creepy stalker photo I took once when someone sat two tables away from me in a restaurant, and I proceeded to shit my pants:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s292/brianbitner/photo3.jpg

OSLIN
08-25-2013, 11:27 PM
Toadflax
Great work toad! With piggy and the mic blacked out it looks like she's about to drink from a martini glass with an umbrella. :) Like the tds background but I can't help but wonder what it would look like with a lesser known (recognizable) NIN cover. Great job with the font and bg though. Have you tried it with the "p" in podcast backwards? Is that even doable?
KarenLeslie
I agree on all your points. I figured explicit language was a must for a nincast :)
I was thinking the same thing about notes. If we are listening to the album we should do it once without interruption then maybe once more while jotting down what we notice about the tracks and themes of an album. I like the structured feel as a layout of the show and I feel as long as there's a host to make sure any tangents dont get out of control that the show should flow nicely.

Lets keep this going everyone. This could shape up into something awesome.

Toadflax
08-26-2013, 02:02 AM
Okay, Piggy's back:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s292/brianbitner/UIATDS3.jpg

I thought about doing a more obscure album cover (which is why I started with the artwork for Everything), but the problem is they're all so dark, so I just don't think it would work as well. If you have a specific one you want me to try, though, let me know.

Also, a backwards p is a q, so it would be "a nine inch nails qodcast." Just looks weird in my opinion, but yes, I can flip any letter easily if that's what people want. I personally like having just the N's backwards, though- makes it look genuine.

Toadflax
08-26-2013, 02:38 AM
We could also do a one, two, three punch and:

1. Go against expectations.
2. Make Piggy feel at home in his own color spectrum.
3. Give a shout out to the original poster.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s292/brianbitner/UIAHLAH.jpg

thelastdisciple
08-26-2013, 04:12 AM
I always thought this would even be something that The NIN Hotline might have tackled for themselves one day.

A podcast version of the website with a weekly/monthly episode or something and just call it simply The NIN Hotline: Podcast Edition or The NIN Hotcast. Similar to for example The Force.net and The Forcecast.

Just some ideas for segments:

Introduction + Headlines and General Commentary

NIN spotting in pop culture: tv, movies, print.

Guest interview.

TR quote of the day/words of wisdom.

Nine Inch Nails Covered (feature of a random artist covering NIN)

Have an email address for user submitted content..

OSLIN
08-26-2013, 06:31 AM
Also, a backwards p is a q, so it would be "a nine inch nails qodcast." Just looks weird in my opinion, but yes, I can flip any letter easily if that's what people want. I personally like having just the N's backwards, though- makes it look genuine.

Ha, I didn't even think of that. As my dad would say, well slap me and call me a baboons uncle. It looks good the way it is for sure.

KarenLeslie
08-26-2013, 09:08 AM
We could also do a one, two, three punch and:

1. Go against expectations.
2. Make Piggy feel at home in his own color spectrum.
3. Give a shout out to the original poster.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s292/brianbitner/UIAHLAH.jpg

I kind of love you right now:).

I think the pink version and the finished TDS version both look good, although I like the pink better just for subverting expectations, lol. Suggestion, do you think it might look better if you give Piggy a slight drop shadow? Or are drop shadows totally out of fashion these days? Arrrgh me being backseat graphic designer >__<
thelastdisciple- These are all ideas we can utilize, some of which I had in mind and some of which are new to me. The TR quote of the day (or maybe a NIN lyric quote) could be kind of like the Moment of Zen on The Daily Show.

Talking logistics, think it's time to hammer out a recording time? I know the album just leaked, but to be respectful to the band, we should definitely wait until after Sept. 3, although preferably not too long after. I work freelance and make my own hours, so I'm pretty flexible on time. We have to allow a few hours for the first recording even if the actual episode isn't going to be that long, since we may want to spend some time practicing or rerecording things that don't work.

Toadflax
08-26-2013, 10:53 AM
I kind of love you right now:).

I think the pink version and the finished TDS version both look good, although I like the pink better just for subverting expectations, lol. Suggestion, do you think it might look better if you give Piggy a slight drop shadow? Or are drop shadows totally out of fashion these days? Arrrgh me being backseat graphic designer >__<

I think a little drop shadow works; it lets Piggy stand out a bit. I can easily change the angle and distance if you like.

Also, I just realized I'd been neglecting the first "n" in "underneath," so that's taken care of.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s292/brianbitner/UIAHLAH2.jpg

KarenLeslie
08-27-2013, 09:52 AM
Neat, thanks for all your work on this Toadflax.

How about Thursday, Sept. 5 as a day to record? Figured we had to start narrowing it down somewhere.

Right now the line up looks like this:

Host: KarenLeslie
Editor: Eversonpoe
Potential Cast: OSLIN, Eversonpoe(?), Euphemism, sheepdean, Toadflax(?), Final Destiny, Mark Fraser, thefragile_jake,
(Question marks indicate people who are contributing but haven't specified if they'd like to be part of the discussion.)

Apologies if I missed anybody who said they might want to be on. Anyway, obviously that's too many people to be on at once, so we're going to have to whittle down who really wants to be on the first episode, specifically. I don't know if "just let anyone on the podcast who wants to be on," is a good strategy, but we don't really have a better means of selecting at this time. I'd rather err on the side of being too inclusive than coming up with snotty-ass reasons to exclude people.

So, who really wants to be on the first episode IMMEDIATELY, and who's cool with maybe being a cast member at some point down the line?

gorast
08-27-2013, 10:01 AM
I would be willing to wait for an episode where there might be a shortage of people, considering I haven't actually contributed to making this podcast happen. It'd be rude and snotty to just sit back and demand to be on the first episode otherwise.

OSLIN
08-27-2013, 10:04 AM
How about Thursday, Sept. 5 as a day to record? Figured we had to start narrowing it down somewhere.

So, who really wants to be on the first episode IMMEDIATELY, and who's cool with maybe being a cast member at some point down the line?

I am in.

Could we maybe do it on Sept. 3? I'm only available on Thursday night after 8:30 pm EST. If not, I guess I'm out but I would still like to contribute creatively.

KarenLeslie
08-27-2013, 10:07 AM
I can do Tuesday, Sept. 3. How does 8 p.m. EST sound?

OSLIN
08-27-2013, 10:10 AM
I can do Tuesday, Sept. 3. How does 8 p.m. EST sound?

That sounds lovely, I could do anytime during the day too, if you're available. I'm off for a nice long weekend. PM your Skype.

eversonpoe
08-27-2013, 10:11 AM
i don't need to be included in the discussion, at least on the first episode, but i'm still happy to do the editing!

also, i'm thinking that the intro mashup i made might work better as a closing piece, and i should do something else for the intro? or keep it as the intro and do something else for the closing? idunno.

OSLIN
08-27-2013, 10:12 AM
i don't need to be included in the discussion, at least on the first episode, but i'm still happy to do the editing!

also, i'm thinking that the intro mashup i made might work better as a closing piece, and i should do something else for the intro? or keep it as the intro and do something else for the closing? idunno.

You do have a new batch of songs to work with :)

eversonpoe
08-27-2013, 12:04 PM
You do have a new batch of songs to work with :)

haven't listened yet. it's killing me, but i'm waiting until i have a physical copy in my hands...

KarenLeslie
08-27-2013, 12:13 PM
I think the mashup works as an intro, but I defer to you here.

Waiting until the album release day, eh? You're strong. I was able to do that for With Teeth, but I gave in this time-- not regretting it, though:D

OSLIN
08-27-2013, 12:20 PM
haven't listened yet. it's killing me, but i'm waiting until i have a physical copy in my hands...

You're more of a man then I am. I think the original works for now. If we continue to podcast then we can talk about a different intro but like Karen said, I defer to you.

It would be cool to have an opening like the movie Se7en with some Closer (precursor)/the art of self destruction in the mix.

You know something ambient and eerie, that way the host can speak over it. Your call.

Toadflax
08-27-2013, 01:16 PM
I'd love to be a part of the discussion, but I'm perfectly happy to wait until whenever.

It might be good to establish the subject matter of the first few podcasts first and then see who's best suited for each. For instance, someone whose first experience with Nine Inch Nails was With Teeth would be better suited for a WT podcast than someone who found it disappointing, and someone who's been around from the beginning would be better suited to discuss Pretty Hate Machine than someone who picked it up as an afterthought while catching up with the catalog and hasn't listened to it much. Or it might be fun to have someone from both ends of the spectrum in cases like these.

If the first episode will in fact be about Hesitation Marks, it could be fun to work backwards, a different album per episode back to PHM. With that in mind, here's a list of potential episode topics:

Hesitation Marks
The Slip (Ghosts could be included or be a separate episode)
Year Zero
With Teeth
The Fragile (potential Left/Right two-parter)
The Downward Spiral
Broken (short album, but the movie, Fixed, etc. could lend itself to a full episode)
Pretty Hate Machine
B-sides, rarities, Trent on other people's songs, etc.
Live shows
Each cast member's personal NIN story (this could be a 10+ person episode with individual monologues instead of a discussion)
Song interpretations (this could be several episodes if we want to go deep)

Not NIN, but relevant:
Score/soundtrack work
How To Destroy Angels
Bands that influenced NIN / Bands that were influenced by NIN / NIN camp members' other bands

The only thing to be careful of is running out of topics. For albums, we could discuss each album in general but with full knowledge we'd come back to it in a future episode in more detail when it's called for.

It might also be good to treat the first episode as practice. If we like it, we can post it; if we don't, we can use it as a guide for what not to do going forward. I'm sure you know what you're doing, KarenLeslie, with your experience, but I just figured I'd make all my thoughts available- take or leave them as you like, of course.

P.S. I posted the following about Hesitation Marks (spoiler free for anyone holding out), which I'm sharing just as a taste of what my opinions are on the new album (and the last few):

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2168-Hesitation-Marks-ETS-Reviews/page8?p=122648#post122648

P.P.S. With any luck, I'll be in line for the Troubadour show Tuesday at 8pm Eastern, so definitely count me out for episode one if that's the timing.

KarenLeslie
08-27-2013, 03:36 PM
I'd love to be a part of the discussion, but I'm perfectly happy to wait until whenever.

It might be good to establish the subject matter of the first few podcasts first and then see who's best suited for each. For instance, someone whose first experience with Nine Inch Nails was With Teeth would be better suited for a WT podcast than someone who found it disappointing, and someone who's been around from the beginning would be better suited to discuss Pretty Hate Machine than someone who picked it up as an afterthought while catching up with the catalog and hasn't listened to it much. Or it might be fun to have someone from both ends of the spectrum in cases like these.

I think having both ends of the spectrum is really the best case scenario, or at the very least, a variety of opinions. If we all agree with each other all the time, it's going to make for a duller show than it could be.

If the first episode will in fact be about Hesitation Marks, it could be fun to work backwards, a different album per episode back to PHM.

I'm more of a fan of doing it as a progression after HM-- so starting with PHM and going all the way on up. I just think that's a more intuitive way to do it, but if other people would rather go backwards, I'm not totally opposed to the idea.

The only thing to be careful of is running out of topics. For albums, we could discuss each album in general but with full knowledge we'd come back to it in a future episode in more detail when it's called for.

There are a lot of things we can do to keep from running out of steam. For example, let's say we do PHM-- some period of time later, we could revisit PHM, only with some different cast members than were on the first time. Also, I think covering the things the fan community does (remixes, etc.) will give us plenty to work with.

It might also be good to treat the first episode as practice. If we like it, we can post it; if we don't, we can use it as a guide for what not to do going forward. I'm sure you know what you're doing, @KarenLeslie (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2818) , with your experience, but I just figured I'd make all my thoughts available- take or leave them as you like, of course.

Oh yeah, it's totally possible the first episode could suck^^;;. There's different levels of suck, like "This sounded awkward, but we can salvage it with editing," versus "This sounded terrible and there's no way we can put this out." We don't know each other, we don't know what kind of dynamic we may or may not have, etc. If we don't feel good about it, we won't put it out until we have something we do feel good about.

P.P.S. With any luck, I'll be in line for the Troubadour show Tuesday at 8pm Eastern, so definitely count me out for episode one if that's the timing.

NOOOOoooo! I mean, good for you that you're going to the show, bad for us that we're down a cast member. So far it's just me and OSLIN...unless we reschedule? *head asplodes*

OSLIN
08-27-2013, 03:42 PM
I love the piggy artwork, but I was just "noodling" around and attempted something more simple with an underlying tension.

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u344/joslinin/uiapc4_zps878dd7b8.jpg (http://s518.photobucket.com/user/joslinin/media/uiapc4_zps878dd7b8.jpg.html)
I don't know where the original art is from, it was saved in my photobucket. Here's one without the mind-bending title.

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u344/joslinin/uiapc3_zpsaf3f50dd.jpg (http://s518.photobucket.com/user/joslinin/media/uiapc3_zpsaf3f50dd.jpg.html)

I'm doing this in my office at work. Shhhh... I have also been cranking this album in my ears all day, taking notes for this upcoming podcast :)
Also, here's some artwork @Toadflax (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=669) for maybe a background for piggy.

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u344/joslinin/insecurity_by_fish_ee-d324y63_zps7ea7c1ca.jpg (http://s518.photobucket.com/user/joslinin/media/insecurity_by_fish_ee-d324y63_zps7ea7c1ca.jpg.html)

Toadflax
08-27-2013, 04:05 PM
I'm more of a fan of doing it as a progression after HM-- so starting with PHM and going all the way on up. I just think that's a more intuitive way to do it, but if other people would rather go backwards, I'm not totally opposed to the idea.

Yeah, makes sense. It'll be easier for us to discuss how each album evolves into the next that way.

There are a lot of things we can do to keep from running out of steam. For example, let's say we do PHM-- some period of time later, we could revisit PHM, only with some different cast members than were on the first time. Also, I think covering the things the fan community does (remixes, etc.) will give us plenty to work with.

This reminded me of another idea. I don't know if you've thought about incorporating music into the show. I would mostly advise against this, since many people won't want to hear a song they've heard a billion times interrupt the conversation, but it could be interesting to end each show with a song (or two). Even at the end, just saying, "here's a song off this album," might be boring, but spicing it up with a rare track, rare/interesting live performance, remix, fan remix, B-side, etc. could be interesting (and a nice surprise for anyone out there who only knows the albums).

NOOOOoooo! I mean, good for you that you're going to the show, bad for us that we're down a cast member. So far it's just me and OSLIN...unless we reschedule? *head asplodes*

I'm not definitely going- I'm just hoping (and maybe I'll show up and see if I have any luck). I can say I'll do it as long as I don't go, but that's a pretty soft commitment. Maybe reschedule if you're light on cast.

Toadflax
08-27-2013, 04:13 PM
I love the piggy artwork, but I was just "noodling" around and attempted something more simple with an underlying tension.

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u344/joslinin/uiapc4_zps878dd7b8.jpg (http://s518.photobucket.com/user/joslinin/media/uiapc4_zps878dd7b8.jpg.html)
I don't know where the original art is from, it was saved in my photobucket. Here's one without the mind-bending title.

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u344/joslinin/uiapc3_zpsaf3f50dd.jpg (http://s518.photobucket.com/user/joslinin/media/uiapc3_zpsaf3f50dd.jpg.html)

Damn you these are good *leaves thread forever.*

I think the non-mindbending title, but with the darker of the grays.

Totally up to KarenLeslie. The Piggy artwork is tongue in cheek and has the pig/microphone image to hammer in the fact that it's a podcast. The above, though, looks more professional, more serious, and, frankly, kinda badass. It really depends on what aesthetic we're going for.

eversonpoe
08-27-2013, 04:13 PM

I'm doing this in my office at work. Shhhh... I have also been cranking this album in my ears all day, taking notes for this upcoming podcast :)
Also, here's some artwork @Toadflax (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=669) for maybe a background for piggy.

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u344/joslinin/insecurity_by_fish_ee-d324y63_zps7ea7c1ca.jpg (http://s518.photobucket.com/user/joslinin/media/insecurity_by_fish_ee-d324y63_zps7ea7c1ca.jpg.html)

holy. shit. dude.

OSLIN
08-27-2013, 04:18 PM
Damn you these are good *leaves thread forever.*

I think the non-mindbending title, but with the darker of the grays.

Totally up to @KarenLeslie (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2818). The Piggy artwork is tongue in cheek and has the pig/microphone image to hammer in the fact that it's a podcast. The above, though, looks more professional, more serious, and, frankly, kinda badass. It really depends on what aesthetic we're going for.

You will always have a place here Toadflax
No, I agree. I really enjoy the Piggy because it's so goddamn good, just figured I would come from the other end of the spectrum.

holy. shit. dude.

I hope this is a compliment :)

eversonpoe
08-27-2013, 04:24 PM
I hope this is a compliment :)

most definitely. sorry, i forget that tone isn't usually conveyed through internet text. i was in awe of how awesome those look!

also, i think the piggy is adorable, and could definitely work on the third image.

sheepdean
08-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Does anyone want to actually get down and dirty and organise this rather than pipe dreaming it on a thread?

Kamelion
08-27-2013, 04:30 PM
Missed this thread before! If this podcast is going anywhere, I'd be more than happy to help out. I'm an experienced podcast host (I co-founded and hosted the Darker Days podcast for a couple of years before moving on to other things) and am flexible with my time. I can help out with post-production to a certain degree but have had mixed results when recording Skype calls. Anyway, let me know if you need extra bodies in the mix :)

OSLIN
08-27-2013, 04:30 PM

To quote an old friend, "Where is Everybody?"

To all ETSers:
If you are seriously interested in chatting with @KarenLeslie (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2818) and @OSLIN (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1033) on Underneath it All: A Nine Inch Nails Podcast to discuss this new amazing record Hesitation Marks, PM us with your opinions and join us next Tuesday. We are looking for at least one more girl and one more boy or one sheboy. I don't give a shit, let's just get this rolling.
If for some reason you are not used and tossed away after the first episode, no worries, we will try to get all willing participants in at least once.
It's a podcast by the fans for the fans, which can be really fantastic or blow up in our faces. Either way it's going to be a blast.

EDIT: After I posted this I realized people are responding. Thanks for wanting to help out Kamelion and @sheepdean (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=350)

OSLIN
08-27-2013, 04:32 PM
most definitely. sorry, i forget that tone isn't usually conveyed through internet text. i was in awe of how awesome those look!

also, i think the piggy is adorable, and could definitely work on the third image.

No, I got it. My sarcasm doesn't show through on the interwebs either.

gorast
08-27-2013, 05:40 PM
If no one else is stepping up, I can be in. What time was it? 8 PM Tuesday?

Doing an HM discussion would probably be best for this first episode, since the album's official release is right around the corner. The structure of the episode could be a track-by-track discussion/analysis, perhaps bookended with first listen thoughts and then more in-depth thoughts, to follow the flow of the album.

sheepdean's right, though, the episode's "script" so to speak has to be ready before we start recording, or else we'll run out of things to talk about very quickly, or it'll become a directionless mess.

OSLIN
08-27-2013, 05:44 PM
Final Destiny
Yeah I wrote up a quick outline last week. It pretty much stated what you did with more detail. I'll send you the PM.

nobies
08-27-2013, 05:58 PM
I'm in. Who do I PM to get in on this?

KarenLeslie
08-27-2013, 07:04 PM
I was going to wait and post this in the Skype chat, but since there are concerns about the show having
direction, here's my outline for the episode; it has a lot in common with OSLIN's outline, I just
put it more in my style. Times are approximate, we're not going to be cutting people off in mid-sentence
or anything.

Outline
Underneath It All: A NIN Podcast
Episode 01: "Conversation Marks"

Part 1. Introduction
a. Custom intro music by eversonpoe (1 minute)
b. Introduction to the podcast by Karen Leslie, explaining how the podcast came
about and some of the topics we hope to cover moving forward. (1-2 minutes)
c. Introduction to the host/cast members; a little info from everyone present on
who you are (in brief!) and how you got into NIN. (5-10 minutes)
d. Pre-HM thoughts: Everyone discusses what their expectations were going into HM, how they
felt as the singles were released, etc. (5-10 minutes)

Part 2. Album analysis (30-50 minutes)
a. Eater of Dreams
b. Copy of A
c. Came Back Haunted
d. Find My Way
e. All Time Low
f. Disappointed
g. Everything
h. Satellite
i. Various Methods of Escape
j. Running
k. I Would For You
l. In Two
m. While I'm Still Here
n. Black Noise

Part 3. Putting it all in context/Closing (15 minutes)
a. Everyone gives brief final thoughts on the album as a whole, and where it ranks for
them as of now in the NIN catalog.
b. Brief discussion of some prominent reviews of the album so far, pointing out interesting
things others have had to say on HM.
c. Outro: Thank the audience for listening, note what we'll be covering in ep. 2 (probably PHM).
d. EITHER a piece of outro music OR a stinger-- funny outtake or other moment from the podcast. Actually,
we could do both, but only if we end up with something funny to use.

When it says "everyone talks about ___", that means I will be prompting people to talk. You can speak out of turn if you
want to chime in on what someone else said (or disagree), but when in doubt, I will prompt to keep the discussion moving.
In later episodes, we may want to make use of regular segments-- like "NIN news" or talking about the latest
show on the tour-- but for now, as others have stated, let's keep it relatively simple and focused. Also, I kept off any
discussion of the HM remixes, I figured we could save that for another time.

In other news, I'm looking into file hosting now.

In other-other news, I made the Piggy graphic because the idea occurred to me and it seemed too fun NOT
to do it-- I'm not set on it being THE graphic for the podcast or anything. Maybe we can use OSLIN's graphic
as our go-to show graphic, and pull out Piggy when we do a TDS episode?

KarenLeslie
08-27-2013, 07:09 PM
I'm in. Who do I PM to get in on this?

You don't have to PM anyone, but you do have to be available at 8 p.m. EST on Sept. 3. Right now we have three people
confirmed (Me, OSLIN, Final Destiny) and two possibles (Toadflax depending on schedule, Karmelion depending on whether he can work with the time difference), so spots are filling up.

nobies
08-27-2013, 09:43 PM
I'll be available.

OSLIN
08-27-2013, 10:20 PM
I'll be available.
Could you be available during the middle of the day. Like 1-2 pm EST for a few hours. That goes for everybody wanting to participate.
KarenLeslie and I can do it during business hours. We may stick with the 8 start time. Just throwing out feelers, we would have more time without feeling rushed if we started early also.

gorast
08-27-2013, 10:27 PM
I won't be available during that time; I have a stretch of classes from 12:30 to 4:45, with about an hour of buffer time on each end. If 2 pm is more convenient for everyone and there are enough contributors, however, I'd be willing to drop out for this episode.

nobies
08-27-2013, 10:28 PM
I'll be available closer to around 2:30 PM.

OSLIN
08-27-2013, 10:31 PM
We will figure it out and as stated before if we can't get people in for this episode, there will be more episodes to participate on (hopefully).

Toadflax
08-27-2013, 11:19 PM
I'd be available during the day.

nobies
08-27-2013, 11:47 PM
I don't think you're all ready for this jelly.

cheddamash
08-28-2013, 12:02 AM
Hey all. Just caught on to this thread. I'm down for a future episode. 9/3 is out for me though.

Kamelion
08-28-2013, 04:32 AM
You don't have to PM anyone, but you do have to be available at 8 p.m. EST on Sept. 3. Right now we have three people
confirmed (Me, OSLIN, Final Destiny) and two possibles (Toadflax depending on schedule, Karmelion depending on whether he can work with the time difference), so spots are filling up.

I can work with the time difference. When I was running the Darker Days show we coordinated podcasts with hosts in the USA, UK and Australia. I laugh at time differences ;).

OSLIN
08-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Episode #1 Possible Titles

Conversation Marks
The Marks Have Been Made
I Got the Marks, See It Reviewed
Review of a Review of a... New NIN Record!
Various Methods of Review
Came Back Haunted
Marky Marks and the Hesitating Bunch

Just a couple to chew on. The last couple were for fun.

I still like Conversation Marks (it's short and sweet), but I also enjoy The Marks Have Been Made & Various Methods of Review.

Discuss.

KarenLeslie
08-28-2013, 10:07 AM
I can work with the time difference. When I was running the Darker Days show we coordinated podcasts with hosts in the USA, UK and Australia. I laugh at time differences ;).

LOL, you are a badass. What was the Darker Days show about? I feel like I should already know, but I'm drawing a blank.

So if we were to push the time back to around 1 p.m. that day like we've been discussing, would that make it more or less of a pain in the ass for you?

OSLIN: I think we should stick to Conversation Marks, but we can put your alternate episode titles somewhere in the show notes. No creativity need be wasted:)

KarenLeslie
08-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Noodling around, I realized I'm still paying a monthly fee for a Podbean account that I haven't been using lately, so I may as well use it as our paid hosting for the podcast. I may have to upgrade my account if we get hammered with traffic, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Here's what I have so far:
http://karengellender.podbean.com/
Piggy icon is a placeholder until we decide on a final, default podcast graphic. Bg can also be changed, I just wanted to change it to something NIN-related.

Obviously, we're going to need some kind of a domain, since my maiden name+podbean does not a good URL make. I'm wondering if we should wait until we have the first episode down before we go through the motions of paying for a domain though. Thoughts?

Kamelion
08-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Conversation Marks is nice - current and applicable. Darker Days is a podcast about the World of Darkness rpg lines :). 1pm est is easier for me, yes, but go with what works for the majority and I'll fit to that - it's all just Tuesday evening for me, heh heh.

Kamelion
08-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Noodling around, I realized I'm still paying a monthly fee for a Podbean account that I haven't been using lately, so I may as well use it as our paid hosting for the podcast. I may have to upgrade my account if we get hammered with traffic, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Piggy icon is a placeholder until we decide on a final, default podcast graphic. Bg can also be changed, I just wanted to change it to something NIN-related.

Obviously, we're going to need some kind of a domain, since my maiden name+podbean does not a good URL make. I'm wondering if we should wait until we have the first episode down before we go through the motions of paying for a domain though. Thoughts?

That's cool - gotta start somewhere. I say keep it lean and simple initially until we find our feet. We can go for domain names and the like if we sustain listeners' interest ;)

thefragile_jake
08-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Episode #1 Possible Titles

Conversation Marks
The Marks Have Been Made
I Got the Marks, See It Reviewed
Review of a Review of a... New NIN Record!
Various Methods of Review
Came Back Haunted
Marky Marks and the Hesitating Bunch

Just a couple to chew on. The last couple were for fun.

I still like Conversation Marks (it's short and sweet), but I also enjoy The Marks Have Been Made & Various Methods of Review.

Discuss.

I really enjoy Conversation Marks!

KarenLeslie
08-28-2013, 12:21 PM
Conversation Marks is nice - current and applicable. Darker Days is a podcast about the World of Darkness rpg lines :). 1pm est is easier for me, yes, but go with what works for the majority and I'll fit to that - it's all just Tuesday evening for me, heh heh.

Awesome! Okay, so it looks like the podcast lineup for Conversation Marks is going to be:

KarenLeslie
OSLIN
Toadflax
Kamelion

And...four people is probably about right for the first episode. Nobies, I'm sorry, but these other guys were first. There will be other episodes.

Also, played World of Darkness once-- I was pissed that all of the NPCs were so mean to my vampire. She was just a new vamp, trying to survive on squirrels and whatnot...

Toadflax
08-28-2013, 01:00 PM
I like "Conversation Marks" (yes, partially because I came up with it). If we make that the title of the first episode, though, are we committing to every episode title being a play on the album title and some variant of talking?

1. Conversation Marks
2. Chatty Hate Machine
3. Spoken
4. The Downword Spiral
5. Fragile Thoughts
6. WITH_TALK
7. Spiel Zero
8. Gab Up The Ghosts
9. Letting It Slip

We might want to consider just calling the episode "Hesitation Marks" to avoid painting ourselves into a punny corner (although I'm sure we can come up with better options than I just chucked up).

OSLIN
08-28-2013, 01:04 PM
I like "Conversation Marks" (yes, partially because I came up with it). If we make that the title of the first episode, though, are we committing to every episode title being a play on the album title and some variant of talking?

1. Conversation Marks
2. Chatty Hate Machine
3. Spoken
4. The Downword Spiral
5. Fragile Thoughts
6. WITH_TALK
7. Spiel Zero
8. Gab Up The Ghosts
9. Letting It Slip

We might want to consider just calling the episode "Hesitation Marks" to avoid painting ourselves into a punny corner (although I'm sure we can come up with better options than I just chucked up).

We could always wait until we are done recording and title it after something that really sticks out from the episode.

eversonpoe
08-28-2013, 01:57 PM

well, tumblr is a pretty customizable platform that's free, so why don't we host it there?

edit: you can only post a 10MB mp3 file...so, that's not gonna work. damnit.

KarenLeslie
08-28-2013, 02:08 PM

I think the title of the episodes should be something more interesting than "On (insert album name here)" just for variety, but there's no reason why every title needs to be the exact same kind of play on the album title. We could call the PHM episode "Kinda We Want To: Pretty Hate Machine," or something like that.

OSLIN
08-28-2013, 02:11 PM
I will see what we can do about a domain KarenLeslie and I might as well place these here too.

www.twitter.com/NINPodcast (http://www.twitter.com/NINPodcast)
www.facebook.com/NINPodcast (http://www.facebook.com/NINPodcast)
http://ninpodcast.tumblr.com

Kamelion
08-28-2013, 04:20 PM
I will see what we can do about a domain @KarenLeslie (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2818) and I might as well place these here too.

Good stuff - subbed to all of those. That artwork really is something special, by the way. I really like it :).

KarenLeslie
08-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Just reinstalled Skype. Does anyone know what the best call recording program to use is? Back in the day I used a paid app called Pamela, but Pamela doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Toadflax
08-28-2013, 05:46 PM
OSLIN I love how out of place the Piggy photo looks on the Facebook page. :D
KarenLeslie Excited to be a part of episode 1. I'll probably just be talking into my MacBook Pro's built-in mic. Is that what most of us are working with? I can try to wrangle some better equipment if not.

OSLIN
08-28-2013, 09:22 PM
I'm really digging this for the podcast.

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u344/joslinin/image_zpse4ca016b.jpg (http://s518.photobucket.com/user/joslinin/media/image_zpse4ca016b.jpg.html)

eversonpoe
08-28-2013, 11:32 PM
I'm really digging this for the podcast.

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u344/joslinin/image_zpse4ca016b.jpg (http://s518.photobucket.com/user/joslinin/media/image_zpse4ca016b.jpg.html)

b-b-b-BONER!

no, seriously...i might be talking to you about doing some artwork/design for my upcoming album.

thefragile_jake
08-28-2013, 11:40 PM
I will see what we can do about a domain @KarenLeslie (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2818) and I might as well place these here too.

All of these look perfect! Nice stuff!

Kamelion
08-29-2013, 05:00 AM
b-b-b-BONER!

no, seriously...i might be talking to you about doing some artwork/design for my upcoming album.

Yeah, it's great. My wife was looking at this one yesterday and said it's her favourite. What is all that black stuff? It looks like some kind of plant. Oh, also OSLIN, did you mention that you had a rough outline for the show? Shoot me a copy when you a have a moment :).

OSLIN
08-29-2013, 06:21 AM
Yeah, it's great. My wife was looking at this one yesterday and said it's her favourite. What is all that black stuff? It looks like some kind of plant. Oh, also @OSLIN (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1033), did you mention that you had a rough outline for the show? Shoot me a copy when you a have a moment :).

I will shoot you a copy, but it's very rough I did it last week and only spent like 10 minutes on it.
I'm letting KarenLeslie worry about all that show layout stuff since she will be hosting, I'm concentrating on some quirky commenting for the song analysis.
It's a tree (I have no idea what the name of it is) and I just flipped the picture to make it seem like they're roots. It makes it seem like you're kind of "underneath" the ground, hence the image. It's fairly simple, but I feel like it conveys the message well.

OSLIN
08-29-2013, 06:23 AM
b-b-b-BONER!

Who knew you had such an affinity for nature?
I would definitely be interested. I'm not huge into graphic design, but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Kamelion
08-29-2013, 07:00 AM
I will shoot you a copy, but it's very rough I did it last week and only spent like 10 minutes on it.
I'm letting @KarenLeslie (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2818) worry about all that show layout stuff since she will be hosting, I'm concentrating on some quirky commenting for the song analysis.
Got it - thanks. Should all be straightforward enough once we get rolling. As for recording software, Pamela is still out there: http://www.pamela.biz/en/download/.

KarenLeslie
08-29-2013, 07:14 AM
Got it - thanks. Should all be straightforward enough once we get rolling. As for recording software, Pamela is still out there: http://www.pamela.biz/en/download/.

Cool, thanks. Hmm, I wonder if my license for that is still good or if I have to purchase it all over again? Bah, software....

I posted an outline for the show on Page 4 of this thread, if you haven't seen it.
Toadflax: It would be better if you could get a standalone mic. Not sure about what's available for Mac, but for Windows at least, mics are really cheap and have pretty good sound quality.

OSLIN
08-29-2013, 07:22 AM
Has anybody tried this for recording?

http://voipcallrecording.com/

@KarenLeslie (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2818)
Do you know if an iphone is good with recordings? Or would it be more ideal if I went with the cpu and mic?

KarenLeslie
08-29-2013, 07:52 AM
Do you know if an iphone is good with recordings? Or would it be more ideal if I went with the cpu and mic?

The latter. It was a few years ago, but I had a bad experience with someone using an iPhone to record.

Btw, everybody can call me Karen-- I just went with KarenLeslie since "Karen" was already taken. I gotta find that byatch and give her a knuckle sammich. *shakes fist drukenly*

Really, everybody should be using some kind of program to record the podcast, there are some free ones out these days. Redundancy is good, VERY GOOD.

eversonpoe
08-29-2013, 07:58 AM
Has anybody tried this for recording?

http://voipcallrecording.com/

the iphone's mic is definitely going to add more distortion/compression than your computer's.

OSLIN
08-29-2013, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the iphone everyone.
Yeah we should all definitely be recording.

Also, are all the guest male? Obviously Karen isn't (I think), but we should add another lady to the mix.
That sounds like something Austin Powers would say. Honestly, we prob could use another feminine point of view.

eversonpoe
08-29-2013, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the iphone everyone.
Yeah we should all definitely be recording.

Also, are all the guest male? Obviously Karen isn't (I think), but we should add another lady to the mix.
That sounds like something Austin Powers would say. Honestly, we prob could use another feminine point of view.

i wish i was going to be available, as i'm all kinds of queer and gender-fluid (though i look/sound like a dude) so i would be able to offer a unique perspective...well, down the line somewhere...

KarenLeslie
08-29-2013, 09:10 AM
Yes, I am a gurl. In general I think having a mix is good for all the obvious reasons, but I don't think we need to worry about it for the first episode. At least, I don't want to boot somebody off at this point for the purpose of bringing in a woman, and adding a fifth person will make recording the first episode that much more complicated.

OSLIN
08-29-2013, 09:26 AM
Yes, I am a gurl. In general I think having a mix is good for all the obvious reasons, but I don't think we need to worry about it for the first episode. At least, I don't want to boot somebody off at this point for the purpose of bringing in a woman, and adding a fifth person will make recording the first episode that much more complicated.

Maybe for the next one then.

Toadflax
08-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Just a quick thought. Is there any concern we'll be recording this the day the album comes out and therefore (probably) won't have the physical copy in hand to discuss artwork, lyrics, etc. (but by the time the show comes out, the audience will)? I don't think it's a big deal, but I just wanted to mention it.

OSLIN
08-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Just a quick thought. Is there any concern we'll be recording this the day the album comes out and therefore (probably) won't have the physical copy in hand to discuss artwork, lyrics, etc. (but by the time the show comes out, the audience will)? I don't think it's a big deal, but I just wanted to mention it.

I'll have a physical copy and will scan over it before we start. If there is anything of interest in the booklet, I will make sure to add it to my notes and share it beforehand.

Toadflax
08-29-2013, 03:35 PM
I'll have a physical copy and will scan over it before we start. If there is anything of interest in the booklet, I will make sure to add it to my notes and share it beforehand.

Perfect. My biggest concern is not knowing what a certain lyric is, so we'll have you if we need a quick reference.

OSLIN
08-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Perfect. My biggest concern is not knowing what a certain lyric is, so we'll have you if we need a quick reference.

I'm your guy, although I am sure that ninwiki will have the lyrics right once the Aussies get the physical copy tomorrow.

Kamelion
08-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Just a quick thought. Is there any concern we'll be recording this the day the album comes out and therefore (probably) won't have the physical copy in hand to discuss artwork, lyrics, etc. (but by the time the show comes out, the audience will)? I don't think it's a big deal, but I just wanted to mention it.Are the live streams of the album through iTunes and whatnot still active? I was planning to listen to one of those if the cd doesn't arrive on Tuesday :)

scorpiusdiamond
08-29-2013, 04:57 PM
For future reference, if you'd like me to contribute on a forthcoming episode, I'd happily do it. I wrote this article on NIN (http://fearandloathingblog.tumblr.com/post/54922656763/nine-inch-nails-a-beginners-guide-written-by-an) and if it seems like the kind of things you'd like me to discuss, I'm available to do it.

eversonpoe
08-29-2013, 05:13 PM
i can't remember if anyone mentioned it as a viable topic for an episode, but a whole episode on sex & sexuality in NIN songs would be a good one.

or maybe do it as half an episode? sex & sexuality / politics & religion?

anyway, just a thought!

OSLIN
08-29-2013, 05:32 PM
i can't remember if anyone mentioned it as a viable topic for an episode, but a whole episode on sex & sexuality in NIN songs would be a good one.

or maybe do it as half an episode? sex & sexuality / politics & religion?

anyway, just a thought!

i want to high five you like an animal.

KarenLeslie
08-29-2013, 05:33 PM
I think sexuality, politics and religion could all be their own episodes.

gorast
08-29-2013, 05:36 PM
Oh, definitely. You could talk for hours about the overt meanings and under the surface symbolism.

Is the recording still scheduled for 2 pm next Tuesday? If so, I have to bow out.

KarenLeslie
08-30-2013, 11:07 AM
Oh, definitely. You could talk for hours about the overt meanings and under the surface symbolism.

Is the recording still scheduled for 2 pm next Tuesday? If so, I have to bow out.

Yeah. No worries, we'll get you another time.

thefragile_jake
08-30-2013, 11:33 AM
Hey guys, I spoke with OSLIN in regards to helping out and contributing to the podcast...unfortunately I won't be able to make the 2pm next Tuesday show (which is a shame cause I would've loved to have been a part of that) cause I work 9-5 every day but please let me know the next show and if I can help out!

I'm extremely excited to hear what you guys come up with next week!

KarenLeslie
08-30-2013, 12:04 PM
We may end up cycling the times to give different people a chance to appear on the cast. Although I'm getting ahead of myself and should probably just focus on trying to make the first one right now, heh.

tony.parente
08-30-2013, 12:19 PM
Oh my god this is becoming a thing.

OSLIN
08-30-2013, 12:49 PM
Oh my god this is becoming a thing.
Oh yeah buddy boy, we're set to record on Tuesday. Hopefully everything runs smoothly, fingers crossed!

tony.parente
08-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Oh yeah buddy boy, we're set to record on Tuesday. Hopefully everything runs smoothly, fingers crossed!

Someone call Trent.
What's his cell?

KarenLeslie
08-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Someone call Trent.
What's his cell?

We're full up for this episode, if Trent wants to be on the podcast he can get in line with everyone else;)

Recording: It looks like Pamela may be our best bet. You can download the pro version and use it for 30 days with no restrictions (about $45 to buy I think), and I know from past experience that it works pretty well. There are several other Skype add-ins that allow you to record, both free and paid, but they all seem to have really bad user reviews. It seems like the free ones either only record for 15 minutes at a time or crash entirely, and the paid ones don't seem to be much better.

I'm probably going to end up buying Pamela again, but for the purposes of the first episode, I believe everyone can download the trial version and use it to record so we have back ups-- assuming you can't find something better. It's possible there's a good free program out there that I just haven't found.

Kamelion
08-31-2013, 12:57 PM
We're full up for this episode, if Trent wants to be on the podcast he can get in line with everyone else;)

Recording: It looks like Pamela may be our best bet. You can download the pro version and use it for 30 days with no restrictions (about $45 to buy I think), and I know from past experience that it works pretty well. There are several other Skype add-ins that allow you to record, both free and paid, but they all seem to have really bad user reviews. It seems like the free ones either only record for 15 minutes at a time or crash entirely, and the paid ones don't seem to be much better.

I'm probably going to end up buying Pamela again, but for the purposes of the first episode, I believe everyone can download the trial version and use it to record so we have back ups-- assuming you can't find something better. It's possible there's a good free program out there that I just haven't found.

Excellent - I just popped on the board to post pretty much the same thing :). I just downloaded the trial version of Pamela - if the podcast has legs, I'll pay for the license. Any preferences on audio quality? I found the default bitrate of 32 mono to be a little too lofi. I reset it to 96 stereo at 44100 which should be fine for podcast speech but whatever works best is fine with me.

Toadflax
09-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Hesitation Marks came four days early! Some interesting things of note we might want to discuss on Tuesday:

1. Disappointed has an entire verse in the lyrics that isn't in the song.

all of this
theater
i wouldn't waste
your voice
comes a day
you figure out
you never had
a choice
(and i am part of the reason)

There's another song where two lines are different in the lyrics than in the song (I can't remember which at the moment) and plenty of small differences. The chorus of Running switches between "i'm running out of places i can hide form this" and "i'm running out of ways to keep on hiding this," but he only says the former in the song.

2. Adrian Belew and Josh Eustis are credited with backing vocals on Everything (AB only) and I Would For You. Survivalism is the only other song I can think of where he used another vocalist (not counting the woman speaking in La Mer), and you can't really hear Saul in Survivalism, where on these songs you can definitely hear different voices in the harmonies. Am I missing any other songs with other backing vocalists? I find this noteworthy because Alan Moulder mentioned how collaborative Trent was being- bringing Lindsey Buckingham and just letting him try things- as opposed to the past where he'd just say, "you play these notes here." So it might be worth discussing how this approach influenced the album.

3. While I'm Still Here borrows a few lines from, of all things, a Hank Williams song (this may have been discussed in other threads already). The verse starts at 1:34:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p8CFsfPIS4

As much as this album thrives on the unexpected, "watch young lovers walking by" still seemed pretty unique for a Nine Inch Nails song. Although I'm sure I would have said the same about "Annie, hold me a little tighter."

OSLIN
09-01-2013, 12:27 PM
For anybody interested in this podcast visit these sites:

www.facebook.com/NINPodcast
www.twitter.com/NINPodcast
www.ninpodcast.tumblr.com

We will be recording on Tuesday and hopefully have something out by next weekend. We will be discussing and reviewing HM (song by song). The first episode will be hosted by ETS' own KarenLeslie. So support these pages and this podcast if you would like to see more episodes. Now back to your thread hopping and raving about NIN's latest masterpiece.

gorast
09-01-2013, 12:41 PM
I believe All Time Low has a minor lyrical variation (minor as in one word), but I'm not sure what the other song is.

Even though I can't contribute to this episode, I'll still be promoting it all over the place. On my personal Facebook, on Trent Reznor's Ass (betcha didn't know I run that satirical-but-also-not-satirical fan page), on Tumblr, etc.

Toadflax
09-01-2013, 05:39 PM
There's another song where two lines are different in the lyrics than in the song.

So, I remembered, but I think it's just mishearing. In Two has a line that sounds like "money, afterbirth, what you're worth," where the lyrics say, "bleed, have to purge, what you were." Listening to it, though, it sounds like that is in fact what he's saying, sooo, the end.

OSLIN
09-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Getting ready to record this podcast in a couple hours. Excited and fearful. A good place.
At least, I'm not hosting, right Karen?
Anyway, we are doing a song by song analysis today and I've jotted down some notes on the new album, but I thought it would be fun to get some thoughts from you guys on some of your favorite tracks.
Help a brother out (here or on one of our sites listed below) and I will give you a shout out during the recording if I enjoy your comment.

KarenLeslie
09-03-2013, 10:54 AM

I am sticking out my tongue at you right now.:p

Kamelion
09-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Looking forward to the show! :)

nobies
09-03-2013, 11:17 AM
I'm going to have to bow out of this first podcast for a couple reasons. Sorry guys, I'll let you know if anything changes at the last minute.

thefragile_jake
09-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Getting ready to record this podcast in a couple hours. Excited and fearful. A good place.
Anyway, we are doing a song by song analysis today and I've jotted down some notes on the new album, but I thought it would be fun to get some thoughts from you guys on some of your favorite tracks.
Help a brother out (here or on one of our sites listed below) and I will give you a shout out during the recording if I enjoy your comment.

Good luck today guys!

Kamelion
09-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Well that sucks. We're 20 minutes into recording the podcast but I'm having some hardware issues (read - horrendous buzzing noise). I've dropped out of this episode to spare all the listeners the torture. Hope to have my gear repaired for next time. From the sounds of it, though, you guys are in for a treat. Your remaining hosts really know their stuff :). Looking forward to hearing the completed show!

NINfan04
09-03-2013, 01:45 PM
This is just a suggestion but the site tinychat.com has free chatrooms that you can instantly make. (ie... tinychat.com/NIN)

You can have real time chat, have everyone on webcams, just be on your microphone with no video, post links, play a youtube video for everyone to watch, etc... It literally takes 5 minutes to set one of these up. Someone can be the main admin, password protect the room (keeps out bot spammers) and vwallah!

I think the Podcast idea is great and I'm sure you wouldn't have any shortage of listeners.

Kamelion
09-03-2013, 01:56 PM
This is just a suggestion but the site tinychat.com has free chatrooms that you can instantly make. (ie... tinychat.com/NIN)

You can have real time chat, have everyone on webcams, just be on your microphone with no video, post links, play a youtube video for everyone to watch, etc... It literally takes 5 minutes to set one of these up. Someone can be the main admin, password protect the room (keeps out bot spammers) and vwallah!

I think the Podcast idea is great and I'm sure you wouldn't have any shortage of listeners.

I've seen something similar work well with Google+, where podcasts are streamed live using video of all the participants, and also recorded for later release. I've never run one, though. Doing it all live and on camera would be amusing to say the least, heh heh.

Toadflax
09-03-2013, 03:11 PM
We did it! Sadly, we had to lose Kamelion due to technical difficulties, but I look forward to hearing him on future episodes. All hail KarenLeslie for making this happen and Jeffrey "Pop-Tarts are delicious" OSLIN for the stimulating conversation. I feel lucky to have been a part of such an intelligent and funny group.

I can't wait for you guys to hear what we put together, and I'm excited to be a part of future episodes, whether as a participant or a listener.

OSLIN
09-03-2013, 03:20 PM
The recording is finished. Thank you to Karen Gellender @KarenLeslie (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2818)for hosting. @OSLIN (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1033): I was a bit nervous, so be gentle. Thanks to Brian @Toadflax (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=669) for contributing and Mark @Kamelion (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=662) who was unable to get a good connection, so couldn't join us, next time mate. Also, shout out to @eversonpoe (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=588) for music, sound and all that shite.
Hope the show turns out well in the end. Thanks to everybody for their contributions.
Should be out in a couple days.

OSLIN
09-04-2013, 06:08 PM
The pilot episode of Underneath It All: A Nine Inch Nails Podcast is available for streaming and download at:

www.soundcloud.com/NINPodcast

This will be a temporary site of this podcast until we find a more permanent home.
Thanks for the listen and the "constructive" criticisms.
Episode one is a discussion on Nine Inch Nails latest album Hesitation Marks.
Enjoy pigs!

gorast
09-04-2013, 07:08 PM
You know, I'm 20, so that would've brought the younger perspective if our schedules had lined up. Next time, definitely.

Toadflax
09-04-2013, 07:10 PM
You know, I'm 20, so that would've brought the younger perspective if our schedules had lined up. Next time, definitely.

Get off my lawn!

thefragile_jake
09-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Yeah, maybe a 26 year old's perspective as well. :D

I noticed the audio cuts out at an hour and nineteen minutes though in mid conversation, how much more was left in the podcast? Unless of course this was a tribute to the Perfect Drug?....

ba dum tsh.

Toadflax
09-04-2013, 07:21 PM
I noticed the audio cuts out at an hour and nineteen minutes though in mid conversation, how much more was left in the podcast?

Oh no, you're right! KarenLeslie OSLIN! Clean up on aisle 1!

OSLIN
09-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Yeah, temporary fuck up. Soundcloud for some reason didn't take the full download, we are trying an new upload asap, there should be about 5 more minutes on the podcast. I guess that's why they call it a pilot episode. This is the time I wish I could facepalm my own post.

Toadflax
09-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Here's a Dropbox link for the impatient (and in case Soundcloud continues to be fritzy):

EDIT: File deleted (the SoundCloud link is all better now).

OSLIN
09-04-2013, 07:52 PM
I'm uploading a the replacement, it's almost 20 minutes longer. So it will be streaming and available for download in full very soon.

www.soundcloud.com/ninpodcast (http://www.soundcloud.com/ninpodcast)

Thanks again!

OSLIN
09-04-2013, 08:13 PM
It is finally up (in full) and ready for the world to view.

Enjoy, sorry about the fuck up!

www.soundcloud.com/ninpodcast/episode1

KarenLeslie
09-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Now everyone can hear "Spin Review (Version)" in all its sproingy goodness!

Hope you guys enjoy this episode, it was a blast to put together.

Mark Fraser
09-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Listening to the podcast now, it sounds great!

eversonpoe
09-04-2013, 08:55 PM
you know, i was having mixed feelings about it before, but now i'm quite happy with the intro i crafted :D

let me know when we're planning our next recording, as i would definitely love to be a part of the conversation (especially if we're going backwards through the halos and talking about the slip, because i love that album).

OSLIN
09-05-2013, 06:36 AM
you know, i was having mixed feelings about it before, but now i'm quite happy with the intro i crafted :D

Yeah, it's awesome.

Getting some listens. Anyone know of any other way we could reach the NIN masses?

Underneath it All (http://www.soundcloud.com/ninpodcast)

Toadflax
09-05-2013, 06:52 AM
Yeah, it's awesome.

Getting some listens. Anyone know of any other way we could reach the NIN masses?

Underneath it All (http://www.soundcloud.com/ninpodcast)

We should definitely contact The NIN Hotline to see if we can get a shout out on their page. That would be huge. It's up to Karen whether we wait until hosting is settled for that, though.

KarenLeslie
09-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Uh...not sure?

I think we should wait a few days at least and see what happens, it's early in the process yet and we can always do some promotion later on.

OSLIN
09-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Uh...not sure?

I think we should wait a few days at least and see what happens, it's early in the process yet and we can always do some promotion later on.

So... no billboards in Time Square just yet?

KarenLeslie
09-05-2013, 10:04 AM
So... no billboards in Time Square just yet?

No, but I can ask my husband to yell real loud the next time he passes through Times Square. He'll probably just look at me funny and won't do it, though.

OSLIN
09-05-2013, 10:07 AM
No, but I can ask my husband to yell real loud the next time he passes through Times Square. He'll probably just look at me funny and won't do it, though.

Tell him to man up.

thelastdisciple
09-05-2013, 11:26 AM
I posted it in a NIN centric FB group, also shared it to my own FB feed and to twitter.

Aside from NIN fansites and things of that nature...

Maybe NIN SubReddit?

KarenLeslie
09-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Maybe NIN SubReddit?

"SubReddit?" What is this sorcery?

jubilee
09-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Love the idea, love the intro and the topics of discussion. This is something I wish I was a part of too. Will continue to listen and spread the word to other NIN and podcast fans.

OSLIN
09-05-2013, 12:08 PM
I posted it in a NIN centric FB group, also shared it to my own FB feed and to twitter.

Aside from NIN fansites and things of that nature...

Maybe NIN SubReddit?

http://redd.it/1lslps

Let's get that bad boy rising up the charts!

"SubReddit?" What is this sorcery?

Witchcraft.

Love the idea, love the intro and the topics of discussion. This is something I wish I was a part of too. Will continue to listen and spread the word to other NIN and podcast fans.

Thanks, if you would like to contribute we will be hopefully doing future episodes and are always looking for people who would like to talk NIN.

scorpiusdiamond
09-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Did anyone put it on the iTunes podcast database? That'd be awesome :)

OSLIN
09-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Did anyone put it on the iTunes podcast database? That'd be awesome :)

Yeah, we definitely want to do this. Unfortunately, I am not sure if we can do it from soundcloud. If there is somebody more gifted in the ways of computers, that could help us out, that would be awesome.

jubilee
09-05-2013, 02:18 PM
I would most definitley be interested in this, although I'm not 32 ;)
Keep me posted and hopefully we could organise something in the near future.

OSLIN
09-05-2013, 04:26 PM
Over 100 listens today, thanks for listening everybody!

www.soundcloud.com/ninpodcast/episode1

Kamelion
09-05-2013, 04:59 PM
You guys did a great job :)

OSLIN
09-05-2013, 05:15 PM
Thanks Kamelion! And even though you did make a slight cameo at the end, I'm looking forward to your grand introduction on a future cast.

greenbaymackey
09-05-2013, 10:17 PM
I listened to this today at work and loved it. You guys did a great job. Can't wait for the next one!

OSLIN
09-05-2013, 10:46 PM
I listened to this today at work and loved it. You guys did a great job. Can't wait for the next one!
Thanks! We have a couple ideas in store for episode two. Stay tuned...

Mark Fraser
09-05-2013, 10:53 PM
I loved the podcast and can easily see myself listening to every single episode from here on out. However, if I had to make one critique it would have to do with the length (NOTE: I make this exact same critique with just about every single podcast out there).

I can't help but to think that the show would work better in the future if each episode was only 30 minutes in length (even if this meant having to review one album or era over 2-3 episodes). My commute to work is about 30 minutes and I really enjoy podcasts that I can listen to in 1 go. It seemed that when podcasts first came out, people generally kept them to a reasonable length. Now it is not uncommon for podcasts to go 3-4 hours in length which is just crazy to me.

I would not be surprised if I was the only person who felt this way. But just thought I'd say it anyways.

But again, loved the show and I cannot wait until the next episode. If you ever need a fill in don't hesitate to send me a PM.

OSLIN
09-05-2013, 11:12 PM
Mark Fraser:
I agree to an extent, and not all of the episodes will be that long. You could just find good stopping points and then listen over a couple days. Yeah, soon we will be looking for more contributors and thanks for listening.

Kamelion
09-06-2013, 03:45 AM
Sometimes you just gotta go long :). I do agree, though, that the optimal length for a cast is around 30-45 mins, just for ease of listening. Some shows can be longer, of course. A nice long debut is cool because it allows everyone to find their pace and get comfortable, something that is harder to do in a shorter show. I've had a couple of shows that went too far, of course (three hour marathons geeking out about Mage: the Ascension, heh heh), but I don't think there's any danger of that here. Not until the show gets around to covering Strobe Light, that is... :P

scorpiusdiamond
09-06-2013, 05:10 AM
Yeah, we definitely want to do this. Unfortunately, I am not sure if we can do it from soundcloud. If there is somebody more gifted in the ways of computers, that could help us out, that would be awesome.

All you need is an RSS feed I believe, that's it.

OSLIN
09-06-2013, 01:39 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/nin/

Help us climb up!

thatguymark
09-06-2013, 04:21 PM
Awesome work, guys. I started listening, thinking I'd give it a shot and see what it was like with no intention of getting through the entire 98 minutes. Here I am 92 minutes later still listening.

Toadflax
09-07-2013, 12:58 AM
I think we should start taking callers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrlS9_n8GX4

Toadflax
09-07-2013, 01:25 AM
Also, starting with our Pretty Hate Machine episode, I propose a fun new math segment for the kids called PIGONOMETRY!

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s292/brianbitner/566400.jpg

gorast
09-07-2013, 01:46 AM
One time on the old ETS two full pages of a random topic were dedicated to "figuring out" Trent's math in Ringfinger. It was the greatest thing of all time.

Toadflax
09-07-2013, 01:49 AM
SOMEONE BEAT ME TO IT? Damn. Well, moving on, then...

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s292/brianbitner/Untitled-1-1.jpg

KarenLeslie
09-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Wow, these are maybe the only math-related things I've seen in the past 20 years that I enjoy.

Guys, start checking the Underneath it All group for talk about future episodes, I think it's better if we keep our planning there rather than this thread.

scorpiusdiamond
09-07-2013, 03:03 PM
For future reference you can use this link to subscribe via iTunes! (http://itpc://karengellender.podbean.com/feed/)

Microwave Jellyfish
09-07-2013, 03:53 PM
One time on the old ETS two full pages of a random topic were dedicated to "figuring out" Trent's math in Ringfinger. It was the greatest thing of all time.

SOMEONE BEAT ME TO IT? Damn. Well, moving on, then...

Please don't hesitate to share anything like these, if you still have some. Me going OFF-topic shall end here, though.

I'm just an echo of an echo (x3) by saying that I really enjoyed the podcast, guys. Actually having a "Year Zero is the shit!"-type younger guest would be interesting too, but that's just my two cents.

KarenLeslie
09-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Actually having a "Year Zero is the shit!"-type younger guest would be interesting too, but that's just my two cents.

You're right. Youngsters! Stop playing on the lawns of the world and come podcast with us! No one wants you playing on that lawn anyway.

scorpiusdiamond
09-09-2013, 03:36 AM
You're right. Youngsters! Stop playing on the lawns of the world and come podcast with us! No one wants you playing on that lawn anyway.

Year Zero is my next favourite album after With Teeth, it was the first NIN album I bought and I'm 21, does that count?

OSLIN
09-09-2013, 06:52 AM
Year Zero is my next favourite album after With Teeth, it was the first NIN album I bought and I'm 21, does that count?

Yeah, the podcast won't get to With Teeth or Year Zero for awhile but you can definitely participate in those episodes if you like.

Microwave Jellyfish
09-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Yeah, go for it!

Speaking as a 23-year-old, who only became a fan in late 2009 (probably during or right after the very last shows, typical), YZ is in my top3, although I'm not a huge fan of W/T. At least not of its first half. I think it's kinda rare that those two are the two favorites of someone.

OSLIN
09-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Episode two will be recorded this Thursday and hopefully released by next Tuesday. We also have an official site which will go live with the next episode. Stay tuned!

gorast
09-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Episode two will be recorded this Thursday and hopefully released by next Tuesday. We also have an official site which will go live with the next episode. Stay tuned!

What time on Thursday? I may be able to contribute this time around.

OSLIN
09-10-2013, 08:50 PM
What time on Thursday? I may be able to contribute this time around.
8 pm EST
We have enough for this cast. The 3rd cast will cover PHM if you're interested.

gorast
09-11-2013, 12:18 AM
What's this episode covering, then, if not PHM?

If you don't want to mention it publicly I'd be fine with a PM. Or not. I do like surprises.

eversonpoe
09-11-2013, 12:26 AM

If you don't want to mention it publicly I'd be fine with a PM. Or not. I do like surprises.

see here (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/group.php?discussionid=4&do=discuss) for info (you're a group member so you should have access to it)

gorast
09-11-2013, 12:32 AM
You know, it'd be awesome if the group sent notifications for every new post. I completely missed that. (My fault.)

Or, alternatively, I could just learn how to fucking use ETS. Subscribed for daily emails instead.

eversonpoe
09-11-2013, 12:53 AM
You know, it'd be awesome if the group sent notifications for every new post. I completely missed that. (My fault.)

Or, alternatively, I could just learn how to fucking use ETS. Subscribed for daily emails instead.

i kind of wish the group wasn't so tucked away, so it'd be easier to see when there was a new post. i have to keep reminding myself to go there.

dzaver
09-11-2013, 01:08 AM
is the second podcast already finished?

gorast
09-11-2013, 01:18 AM
Recording is on Thursday.

OSLIN
09-11-2013, 06:35 AM

Shhhhh... secrets?
As eversonpoe said, in the group discussion is where your answer lies.

new now
09-12-2013, 03:30 AM
Okay, finally got around to listening to this all the way through (listening in small chunck on my way to and from work) and have a few critiques (not criticisms)

First, there should be the inclusion of some snippets of the music you are discussing, otherwise your talking in a vacuum. Should someone want to know more about HM before they buy the album it would be great to have a little context to the talk - copywrite permitting of course.

Also, maybe vary the demographic of those taking part in the discussion. The opinion of 3 (presumably) white, 31 yr old americans who definitley love NIN does not a healthy debate make.
One of the most interesting things about the matrix' documentaries and commentaries is the fact that the wachowski siblings actually chose to have the opinions of critics who disliked the film involved.

Just some thoughts, otherwise, well done fall the commitment and dedication.

eversonpoe
09-12-2013, 08:23 AM
Okay, finally got around to listening to this all the way through (listening in small chunck on my way to and from work) and have a few critiques (not criticisms)

First, there should be the inclusion of some snippets of the music you are discussing, otherwise your talking in a vacuum. Should someone want to know more about HM before they buy the album it would be great to have a little context to the talk - copywrite permitting of course.

Also, maybe vary the demographic of those taking part in the discussion. The opinion of 3 (presumably) white, 31 yr old americans who definitley love NIN does not a healthy debate make.
One of the most interesting things about the matrix' documentaries and commentaries is the fact that the wachowski siblings actually chose to have the opinions of critics who disliked the film involved.

Just some thoughts, otherwise, well done fall the commitment and dedication.

1. clips of songs are going to be included in the next episode (and likely all subsequent episodes), as i will be editing them.
1.5 *copyright :p
2. there were supposed to be different & more diverse discussion members, but schedule conflicts caused some people to be unable to join. there will be more variation in future episodes.
3. thanks for taking the time to listen and offer up constructive criticism! i'm glad that you picked up on all the things we want to change/improve for next time. :D

OSLIN
09-12-2013, 08:27 AM
Recording the second episode today and it should be out next Tuesday.
@new now (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=406) we actually have already discussed using music clips for the second show which will have us discussing our top 5 favorite NIN songs.
Also, future episodes will include new cast members with a variety of backgrounds as we move forward. Thanks for listening!

OSLIN
09-13-2013, 06:40 AM
Okay, now that episode 2 is in the bag. It should be released next Tuesday. Looking for people that would like to participate in an episode 3 discussion on Pretty Hate Machine.
So, if you're looking to sit in on the cast PM me OSLIN and KarenLeslie here. We just need a brief synopsis on why you want to do the show and your age. Then you could be on the next episode :) Trying to get a mixed variety.

Thank you!

Any good title ideas for Episode 3, share them please.

frothy_ham
09-13-2013, 07:06 AM
Argh! Being on the podcast sounds like so much fun! Why do I have to be a white, middle-class american male in his late 20's??? Woe is me! </sarcasm>.

Seriously though, I'd love to throw my hate in the ring but I'm worried I wouldn't have a unique enough viewpoint from what three three of you brought in the initial episode.

OSLIN
09-13-2013, 07:25 AM
Argh! Being on the podcast sounds like so much fun! Why do I have to be a white, middle-class american male in his late 20's??? Woe is me! </sarcasm>.

Seriously though, I'd love to throw my hate in the ring but I'm worried I wouldn't have a unique enough viewpoint from what three three of you brought in the initial episode.

Get out of here whitey. You can throw your hat/hate/hatehat (all make sense) in the ring. You never know when we can use extra bodies.

frothy_ham
09-13-2013, 08:28 AM
You can throw your hat/hate/hatehat (all make sense) in the ring.

http://i.imgur.com/m2tBmsw.jpg

OSLIN
09-13-2013, 08:40 AM
http://i.imgur.com/m2tBmsw.jpg

That's what I get.

gorast
09-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Looking at my schedule and the albums coming up on the podcast, I might sit out until The Fragile / With Teeth. Then I'll drop the fuckin' 20-year-old viewpoint bomb on all of you.

Especially keep a spot open for me on WT. I still have dirty dreams about that album...
Kris , what are you doing liking this post in 2015?

Toadflax
09-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Serious Title Suggestions:

Down In It
The Words Spill Out
Echoing Your Voice
Come Inside
You Know Who You Are
Nine Inch Nails Is Trent Reznor
Hate Love

The Other Kind:

Chatty Hate Machine
Hataz Gonna Hate
Not So Pretty Now
I'm Drunk

OSLIN
09-13-2013, 09:05 PM
I'm Drunk
Great list! You could go even further with that last one.
I really like/love Hate Love.

Let me take a stab at this:
I'm Drunk and Right Now I'm Reviewing You
Pretty Great Machine
Lets Hear It For Nine Inch Nails
Bow Down
My Sweet Everything
Recall the Taste
It Comes Down to This
Carry Out Our Sentence
Messed Up Review
Drink It Up and Swim In It
Opinions Carved in Stone
These Ten Acts of Refection

That's more or less pulling lyrics off PHM.
I really thing Bow Down would be the simplest and most memorable of the bunch though.

Toadflax
09-13-2013, 10:19 PM
Great list! You could go even further with that last one.
I really like/love Hate Love.

Let me take a stab at this:
I'm Drunk and Right Now I'm Reviewing You
Pretty Great Machine
Lets Hear It For Nine Inch Nails
Bow Down
My Sweet Everything
Recall the Taste
It Comes Down to This
Carry Out Our Sentence
Messed Up Review
Drink It Up and Swim In It
Opinions Carved in Stone
These Ten Acts of Refection

That's more or less pulling lyrics off PHM.
I really thing Bow Down would be the simplest and most memorable of the bunch though.

Yeah, Bow Down is catchy and doesn't require you to know lyrics from the less well-known songs on the album. Hate Love also satisfies that but might sound too much like we're just going to talk about how much we like the album (instead of being more even handed, which will hopefully be the case).

KarenLeslie
09-14-2013, 11:09 AM
I think Bow Down is perfect:).

Waiting with baited breath to hear the finished version of Episode 2, it's exciting now that someone else is editing it and I won't have listened to it to death by the time I hear it, lol.

eversonpoe
09-14-2013, 04:49 PM
I think Bow Down is perfect:).

Waiting with baited breath to hear the finished version of Episode 2, it's exciting now that someone else is editing it and I won't have listened to it to death by the time I hear it, lol.

hehe, i'll probably have it done tomorrow, or monday at the latest. i'm currently in rehearsals for a play that's opening in less than two weeks, and there's sound THE WHOLE TIME, as well as a bunch of songs that the cast actually sing, so i literally have to be at every rehearsal.

botley
09-15-2013, 12:02 AM
Hi folks, thanks for shouting out my review and blog! Really enjoyed the first episode, looking forward to more. As a podcast fan/podcaster myself I must say you did a fine job indeed.

Toadflax
09-15-2013, 12:04 AM
Hi folks, thanks for shouting out my review and blog! Really enjoyed the first episode, looking forward to more. As a podcast fan/podcaster myself I must say you did a fine job indeed.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

OSLIN
09-15-2013, 08:43 AM

No problem, was one of the best reviews I read on HM. Thanks for listening!