PDA

View Full Version : The Marvel Thread - Multiverses and other Shenanigans

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

ImTheWiseJanitor
07-21-2013, 04:06 PM
From Random TV/Movie News -

Joss Whedon confirms that the Avengers sequel will be called The Avengers: Age of Ultron (http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=83845)

He also says that there'll be no Hank Pym in it (say what?) but there'll be more Hawkeye (YAY!).

So: Vin Diesel as Vision? I can see that happening.

ps: we need a comic book movie adaptation thread, darn it. Someone start one!

Ta-da! Hope you don't mind a Marvel thread. We can bring DC in here, too, but I figure those two universes could at least get their own threads if desired. Or does anyone else think it should just be a comic book adaptation thread? I can always just change the title to whatever everyone else thinks.

orestes
07-21-2013, 04:33 PM
A think a separate thread for DC and Marvel will suffice. I mean, it's not like people are clamoring to discuss R.I.P.D., for example. ;)

marodi
07-21-2013, 09:14 PM
I mean, it's not like people are clamoring to discuss R.I.P.D., for example. ;)

Huh. Ryan Reynolds should concentrate on getting the Deadpool movie done. I think he was the only decent thing from the mess that was Origins (aside from Jackman who can do no wrong and Liev Schreiber who was totally creepy).

Fixer808
07-22-2013, 08:32 AM
Giving X-Men: First Class another shot. Still a cinematic abortion, sorry. Hokey as fuck.

In other Marvel news, I saw this on a bus stop yesterday and thought "Best fucking movie poster of all time":
http://montreal.virginradio.ca/Pics/Blogs/1002128/the_wolverine_digital_exclusive-001.jpg

ImTheWiseJanitor
07-22-2013, 09:06 AM
All of the Wolverine posters look sick as fuck! Not too sure if I wanna see the movie, though. I haven't heard anything about it. Most people are turned off simply because of how Origins turned out.

Fixer808
07-22-2013, 09:52 AM
As long as he gets to go full-BlendTec and make himself some ninja juice, I'm a happy camper.

Fixer808
07-23-2013, 06:17 AM
In the comics, Ultron is a big bad robot hellbent on destroying humanity, but Joss tells Marvel LIVE that he'll be changing the villain's origins for the movie -- saying "We were crafting our own version of it where [Ultron's] own origin comes more directly from the Avengers we already know about."
Bolding mine, because I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and predict that J.A.R.V.I.S.is gonna go haywire and robo-jack one of Tony's suits, or secretly build his own. HEARD IT HERE FIRST, PEOPLE.

Deadpool
07-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Nice prediction, Fixer. I like that.

Was I the only one thinking that the Destroyer technology from Thor would play a part in Ultron's creation?

Fixer808
07-24-2013, 05:04 PM
Maybe a combination of both our theories...? Yours sounds quite plausible as well!

orestes
07-25-2013, 08:30 PM
These look fucking badass. (http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/07/22/x-men-first-look-days-of-future-past-posters/)

marodi
07-26-2013, 06:20 PM
J.A.R.V.I.S. and The Destroyer sitting in a tree k.i.s.s.i.n.g. Moments later, baby Ultron is born. Tony Stark is one pissed off grandpa.

Oh yeah, I'd watch this.

These look fucking badass. (http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/07/22/x-men-first-look-days-of-future-past-posters/)

Must have these.

SeeOhDeeWhy
07-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Since I couldn't find a thread for The Wolverine, I'll just say it here.

(Wolverine Spoilers)
The mid-credits scene at the end got me so fucking pumped for Days of Future Past. It would've been even more mindblowing if James McAvoy and/or Michael Fassbender was there too. Maybe to help audiences realize that the two series are connected.

Broadbent
07-28-2013, 01:06 AM
Since I couldn't find a thread for The Wolverine, I'll just say it here.

(Wolverine Spoilers)
The mid-credits scene at the end got me so fucking pumped for Days of Future Past. It would've been even more mindblowing if James McAvoy and/or Michael Fassbender was there too. Maybe to help audiences realize that the two series are connected.

That was easily the best part of the movie for me. I'm pumped!

Wretchedest
07-28-2013, 09:53 PM
I thought the Wolverine was pretty good. For what it was. The constant bombardment of Japanese cliches and stereotyping almost killed the rest of the movie, but the pacing and the action made it work. I'm shocked that all those cliches were able to make it past the filter that is the process to release.

Sometimes it was pretty dumb too. lots of things happened for no reason.

like how Logan leaves Mariko at the end, saying that he has more important things to do, and then promptly doesn't know where he's going. Or the entire character of her childhood boyfriend. or the Snake lady.

also, in the stinger, Why would they confront Logan in the airport of all places? and why have magneto be the first to talk to him, instead of professor X, or Bishop (who you can see).

The movie was at it's best when it was being minimal, or during the action scenes.... paradoxically.

Deadpool
07-29-2013, 12:02 AM
^ Yeah, agreed. I actually loved the small character moments, especially with Mariko and Yukio. There were some really long stretches of non-action/intimacy which was really nice even if it made the pacing a bit weird. Most of the action was great, but Silver Samurai and Viper were too cartoonish for me... even for a movie that features a (pretty badass) fight on top of a bullet train. Their presence wasn't so bad in itself, but their presentation was too much.

So I have mixed feelings, but there was definitely some stuff I really enjoyed. My friend did not like it. Maybe I wouldn't have either if X-Men Origins didn't come before it...

Wretchedest
07-29-2013, 03:55 AM
I actually loved how they handled the silver samurai...

My disappointment with Origins was that they really ditched the origin thing. That early moment where they fast forward 150 years in his life kind of ruined the whole movie for me. It kind of jumped from one akward placement ot the next in a really jarring way... i haven't seen it in a while though. The most infuriating part of Origins was that it took three of my favorite X-Men characters (Gambit, Sabretooth, and Deadpool) and flushed them down the toilet... They got the casting right and teased us with that and then ripped them away from us in a way that makes it unlikely they'll come back down the line.

This didn't throw in very many extraneous characters. It was about Wolverine and they never diluted it by throwing in some random spastic crap.

Tums206_BFY
07-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Saw The Wolverine on Friday, liked it. I would even say I liked it more then Iron Man 3.

Fixer808
07-29-2013, 03:32 PM
I liked Liev Schreiber as Sabretooth, but his character was all over the place, like they didn't know how to write him. And one of the things I loved about X2 was that they just hinted at the Weapon X process, that one shot of Logan naked and drenched in blood after coming out of the tank and crazy-slaughtering everyone in the room. Origins was a muddled shit sandwich, like First Class, but I'm still going to see The Wolverine.

Wretchedest
07-29-2013, 04:59 PM
If i recall correctly from the incredibly stoned state in which i wat hed the bootleg version before it came out, they completely blow past his entire time on Weapon X, basically before the story gets started, and so theres almost no reason for Wolverine and Sabretooth to hate each other. That whole movie was an enigma. I dont understand why they approached it that way.

Hazekiah
07-29-2013, 06:10 PM
Maybe someone should just go ahead and start a thread for The Wolverine so we can get back on-topic and start talking about the actual Marvel Cinematic Universe in here again.

Broadbent
07-29-2013, 06:48 PM
THANOS!

There we go, back on track.

marodi
07-29-2013, 07:53 PM
Speaking for myself only, I think it's fine to speak about things X-Men related since they are Marvel even if they aren't MCU. And Hugh Jackman said that he wants Wolverine to be in the Avengers so...

I want to see Logan call Thor "bub".

Mr. Blaileen
07-29-2013, 09:30 PM
I just got back from The Wolverine..I thought it was pretty good. It is a comic book movie, so I don't mind overlooking some of the absurd happenings/details that take place throughout these movies. The 'Silver Samurai' and 'Viper' were a little cheesy in how they were presented/their dialogue, but I'm used to the villains being a little on the cartoony side in the X-Men movies. Jackman does a fantastic job as Logan as usual. I liked that their were fewer mutants in this movie than in Origins, as I felt it allowed the movie to maintain focus. The setting took me a little bit to get used to, but it had grown on me by the end of the movie. Oh yeah, and the train sequence was pretty baller. Overall, I'd give it a solid 'B' grade.

LOVED the post-credits scene. The X-Men movies do those best, in my opinion.

Fixer808
07-30-2013, 04:26 AM
Maybe someone should just go ahead and start a thread for The Wolverine so we can get back on-topic and start talking about the actual Marvel Cinematic Universe in here again.
I'm not sure what you mean. It's a thread for Marvel movies. If a new Punisher were to come out, we'd talk about it in here, I'm sure. Just because you don't see Spiderman in the Avengers movie, you can just go ahead and assume he was swinging around town saving people dangling from things and saying stuff like "Hey, did you just see a guy with a big, horned helmet fly past on a rocket jet-ski? You did? Good, I'm not crazy. HEADS UP!" and then he has to drop them briefly after almost getting hit by a laser, but it's cool, because he shoots a web out that totally snags the person's wrist and swings them onto the rooftop of a police station, where the cops start shooting at him and he has to leap to safety shouting "Oh come ON! Same team, guys!" and JJJ runs an article the next day saying Spiderman was totally in on the whole invasion.

theburningreptile
07-30-2013, 12:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92YBR9gEyYI Viral marketing for Days of Future Past. Let the games begin! This has me all kinds of excited.

bobbie solo
07-30-2013, 11:50 PM
that is so awesome!!!!

henryeatscereal
08-01-2013, 02:22 PM
Saw Wolverine yesterday, it was OK, so much better than "Origins" (not difficult...), yet i thought the story was badly done, obviously they where going to change a lot of stuff from the Claremont/Miller original storyline, yet i think there where lots of unnecessary things like Viper, the constant apparition of Jean Grey or the mutant power of Yukio (it would only make sense if they use her ability in "Days of the future past", but i think they'll just forget that character...)
Still the movie was decent and and shot so much better than most X Men films... oh and the post credits scene is the one that made everything worthwhile, can't wait for "Days of the Future Past".

Wretchedest
08-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Oh yeah... i hated yukio. Thats the exact kind of power you should never put into amy kind of story. The rules behind it will always have to be broken.

Origins was horrid. They took a character who's nickname is "Merc with a Mouth" and REMOVED HIS MOUTH! I rarely say or believe this, but someone should be fired for that one.

wunderpanda
08-07-2013, 02:25 AM
http://www.trask-industries.com/

I am seriously excited for the Future Past movie, Trask site is very well done. Not a huge fan of Marvel movies except the X-verse, even liked the old Generation X pilot that aired on tv years and years ago.

As for the Wolverine Origins, removing Deadpool mouth was nothing, giving him the powers of Mimic was the bad part. As an origin movie, it did it's job well enough, fleshed out which murky past they decided to use and fit it well with the chronology. The new Wolverine was better, with the exception of confusing Yukio, Yuriko and Mariko biographies, but at least they stayed reasonably consistent having already used Lady Deathstrike.

I do wonder about continuity going forward, was this Wolverine 2, or was the first Wolverine really Origins 1 and not Wolverine 1, and is Future Past Origin 3 or XMen 4?

henryeatscereal
08-07-2013, 10:11 AM

I am seriously excited for the Future Past movie, Trask site is very well done. Not a huge fan of Marvel movies except the X-verse, even liked the old Generation X pilot that aired on tv years and years ago.

As for the Wolverine Origins, removing Deadpool mouth was nothing, giving him the powers of Mimic was the bad part. As an origin movie, it did it's job well enough, fleshed out which murky past they decided to use and fit it well with the chronology. The new Wolverine was better, with the exception of confusing Yukio, Yuriko and Mariko biographies, but at least they stayed reasonably consistent having already used Lady Deathstrike.

I do wonder about continuity going forward, was this Wolverine 2, or was the first Wolverine really Origins 1 and not Wolverine 1, and is Future Past Origin 3 or XMen 4?

I think the chronology goes:

1. Origins: Wolverine
2. First Class
3. Days of The Future Past ("Past" sequences...)
4. X-Men
5. X2
6. X-Men: The Last Stand
7. Wolverine 2
8. Days of The Future Past ("Present" sequences...)

...just like in the comics, the X-Men timeline is a mess! lol...

OSLIN
08-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Kevin Feige says they have their movies planned through 2021
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/178679-kevin-feige-says-marvel-has-their-movies-planned-through-2021 (http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/178679-kevin-feige-says-marvel-has-their-movies-planned-through-2021)

This is what I'm hoping for.

Avengers: Age of Ultron
Antman

Doctor Strange
Black Panther

Thor: Nine Realms
Captain America: The Last Avenger

Avengers: Civil War
The InHumans

Daredevil: The Man Without Fear
Doctor Strange: The Oath

Heroes for Hire
(The Black Widow and Falcon hire a team of the world's finest non-Avengers:
Iron Fist, Punisher, Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, Luke Cage, Silver Sable, Blade)
Guardians of the Galaxy: The Korvac Chronicle

The Infinity Gauntlet (Bringing all the heroes and villains together to face Thanos)

One could dream.

Conan The Barbarian
08-07-2013, 01:07 PM
So by that list , you are telling me I have to wait 8 years to see thanos in a movie?

Me no like

OSLIN
08-07-2013, 01:12 PM
So by that list , you are telling me I have to wait 8 years to see thanos in a movie?

Me no like

No, Thanos is supposedly appearing in the Guardians of the Galaxy. He's the man behind the evil.
The list is just what I was thinking as a time line, but who knows. They've only announced movies up to 2016, but they have a game plan (undisclosed) through 2021.
It's a shame that DC doesn't have the same sort of forethought.

Broadbent
08-07-2013, 04:52 PM

As far as chronological order I would say

First Class
Wolverine Origins
X1
X2
X3
The Wolverine
Days of futures past

Wretchedest
08-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Actually i think its more like:

First Class
Origins
Days
X1
X2
X3
The wolverine
Days

Broadbent
08-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Actually i think its more like:

First Class
Origins
Days
X1
X2
X3
The wolverine
Days

I figured time travel would just confuse him :)

Also, new Thor trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npvJ9FTgZbM

wunderpanda
08-07-2013, 07:32 PM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/UPDATED-Mystique-Kicks-Some-Ass-Set-X-Men-Days-Future-Past-38789.html

In the same interview, the director also upended early reports that said the new movie would be more of a sequel to First Class than a continuation of the original trilogy. In fact, in order to explain how the movie works he had to create a whole new term. Said Singer, "I’d say it’s not a sequel to one of the others. It’s an inbetwequel — that’s what I call it, for lack of a better word."

Time travel is easy to follow, was more curious how it fit with the other parts. After reading a bit, the Past is early 70s and the Future is a decade after X3 with the current Wolverine somewhere in between. Just was thinking Origins would be a trilogy, X1-3 were a trilogy and wondering if Wolverine would be followed by Wolverine 2 or would it be Wolverine 3 because of origins.

Broadbent
08-07-2013, 09:41 PM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/UPDATED-Mystique-Kicks-Some-Ass-Set-X-Men-Days-Future-Past-38789.html

Time travel is easy to follow, was more curious how it fit with the other parts. After reading a bit, the Past is early 70s and the Future is a decade after X3 with the current Wolverine somewhere in between. Just was thinking Origins would be a trilogy, X1-3 were a trilogy and wondering if Wolverine would be followed by Wolverine 2 or would it be Wolverine 3 because of origins.

If I remember correctly, after the first trilogy, Fox planned to release the 'X-men: Origins' prequel trilogy. With each movie showing the origins of a specific character. Wolverine being the first, then a Magneto/Xaiver flick, followed by a third I can't remember. But after Wolverine Origins did so poorly at the box office, they dropped the name and took what we now know as 'First Class' in a different direction. 'The Wolverine' is really just stand alone wolverine movie(which we all wanted) and 'Days Of Futures Past' will be the third of the prequels.

imail724
08-12-2013, 11:03 PM
Leaked Days of Future Past Trailer (http://heronuggets.com/days-of-future-past-trailer-leaked)

Damn

marodi
08-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Leaked Days of Future Past Trailer (http://heronuggets.com/days-of-future-past-trailer-leaked)

Damn

Sweet lord almighty that looks fantastic!

Broadbent
08-13-2013, 05:48 PM
Sweet lord almighty that looks fantastic!

Already taken down. ANybody able to steal it while it was up?

and AgentofChaos:

Any suggested readings for Guardians, I'm a complete newb to that comic but am pretty interested in the flick.

marodi
08-13-2013, 06:02 PM
Already taken down. ANybody able to steal it while it was up?

Still up here: http://www.superheromoviesnews.com/2013/08/lq-even-more-x-men-days-of-future-past.html

Click "close to play" on the player to see it.

AgentofChaos
08-14-2013, 09:33 AM
Broadbent,

The new Marvel NOW! series is only 5 issues in or so, so it's the perfect place to start. There was an issue #0.1 as well, if you want a bit of a prologue on Starlord and his daddy issues.

In addition, there were 4 Infinite comics, each giving a detailed back story on the other characters leading up the relaunch of the title and how they came to reunite as the guardians. These were just collected in a mini trade titled GotG: Tomorrow's Avengers, I believe.

If you want the whole new run collected in a torrent it wouldn't take me so long and I'd be happy to do it for you, or anyone else who may be interested. Just let me know.

Previously, the book relaunched in '98 and had a 25 issue run and more or less wrapped up involvement in the Thanos imperative. There were 4 trades that collected this run; Legacy, War of Kings 1 & 2, and Realm of Kings. After that they had been relatively dormant for a couple years until their reappearance in a few early issues of Avengers Assemble at the end of last year.

Now, if you want to go even further back, there was a run in the 90's and a lot of stuff before that, mostly in the 60's/70's, however it is a different incarnation of the team (Earth-691) so I'm not sure how relevant that it is to you. However its pretty good stuff and there are really only 3 main trades you need to read. You'll find some Ultron in there, some Claremont contribution, a little bit for everyone!

Quest for the Shield (the original 6 issue run),
and the two big collections Tomorrow's Avengers Vol 1-2 (note: these are different than the new mini trade mentioned above).

Hope that helps.

Hazekiah
08-14-2013, 07:54 PM

I'm not sure what you mean. It's a thread for Marvel movies. If a new Punisher were to come out, we'd talk about it in here, I'm sure. Just because you don't see Spiderman in the Avengers movie, you can just go ahead and assume he was swinging around town saving people dangling from things and saying stuff like "Hey, did you just see a guy with a big, horned helmet fly past on a rocket jet-ski? You did? Good, I'm not crazy. HEADS UP!" and then he has to drop them briefly after almost getting hit by a laser, but it's cool, because he shoots a web out that totally snags the person's wrist and swings them onto the rooftop of a police station, where the cops start shooting at him and he has to leap to safety shouting "Oh come ON! Same team, guys!" and JJJ runs an article the next day saying Spiderman was totally in on the whole invasion.

Fun response and everything, but it's not really addressing my point.

There is exactly ONE true "Marvel Cinematic Universe" worth of films going on right now. And that "universe" is comprised of the series of films produced by Marvel Studios and conceived, written, and executed in such a way as to make it blatantly obvious that they are all intricately interwoven with one another. It doesn't take any fanfic or shoehorning to connect them together, and that's pretty much the point of making them the way they've been made.

All those movies -- Iron Man 1, 2, and 3, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America:TFA, The Avengers, etc. -- are clearly coexisting within the same greater narrative and made by the same studio for expressly that purpose.

That is not the case with The Wolverine, the X-films, The Fantastic Four films, Daredevil, Elektra, Ghost Rider, Hulk, etc.

Those films did absolutely ZERO legwork towards establishing ANY sort of interconnectedness whatsoever. Each franchise exists as a standalone continuity. There was never even the barest suggestion made anywhere that they took place in the same universe or had anything to do with one another at all.

The Avengers and all the films tied directly to it were kind of a big deal for exactly that reason.

C'mon.

Which films actually belong in this discussion should be pretty clear to everyone by now.

october_midnight
08-15-2013, 10:32 PM
Definitely wouldn't have known what 'The Avengers' meant if it wasn't underlined.

In other news...

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/news/x-men-days-of-future-past-set-pics-beast-drowns-magneto-in-fountain.jpg

Umm...what.

marodi
08-15-2013, 10:44 PM
I always knew Magneto was into kinky stuff.

thevoid99
08-15-2013, 11:57 PM
The things I would love to do with Michael Fassbender. Him and Tom Hiddleston would make one great couple.

Hazekiah
08-16-2013, 06:32 PM
Definitely wouldn't have known what 'The Avengers' meant if it wasn't underlined.

So now you're giving people shit for using correct punctuation?

Go fuck yourself, ffs.

Great job missing the point, btw.

october_midnight
08-16-2013, 06:35 PM
All I really need to know is, is Fassbender wearing a black leather jacket? Or a chic black leather jacket?

Hazekiah
08-16-2013, 06:50 PM
If it were a more refined, sophisticated, and stylish reworking of an outdated and clunky old wardrobe, as is the case with April O'neil's shitty old jumpsuit vs. her sleek new jacket...then I'd say "chic" applies, yeah. Specific words DO mean specific things, after all.

But anyway.

Back to the MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE and all that.

wunderpanda
08-17-2013, 05:19 AM
http://screenrant.com/x-men-days-future-past-sentinel-blueprints/

Trask Industries release Sentinal blueprints! I'm surprised that the marketing for this started this far in advance, 8 months seems unheard of. Just hope they don't burn people out with the hype. Singer mentions in the write up that this will connect all the X films, so they too shall have an appropriate "cinematic universe" with as much continuity as time travel allows..... and they don't have to start wars to look like heroes.

wunderpanda
08-20-2013, 11:19 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/20/edgar-wright-the-worlds-end_n_3781902.html

So no AntMan in Avengers and he doesn't invent Ultron either, guess he fits in the universe same as Ghost Rider.

Edgar Wright was asked about not having Ultron in his Ant-Man movie

"It was never in my script. Because even just to sort of set up what Ant-Man does is enough for one movie. It's why I think "Iron Man" is extremely successful because it keeps it really simple. You have one sort of -- the villain comes from the hero's technology. It's simple. So I think why that film really works and why, sometimes, superhero films fail -- or they have mixed results -- because they have to set up a hero and a villain at the same time. And that's really tough. And sometimes it's unbalanced."

Hitman2110
08-22-2013, 01:03 AM
To be honest, I'm starting to burn out on all these comic book movies. The Avengers was excellent, the first two Iron Man films were very good, Captain America was fun, and everything else has ranged from average to bad. I'm not that excited by phase two. Will I see The Avengers 2? Yes. Will I see every film that takes place between future Avengers movies? Probably not. The only upcoming Marvel film I'm actually excited for is Guardians Of The Galaxy.

AgentofChaos
08-22-2013, 07:52 AM
I wouldn't say I'm getting burnt out. However I can somewhat understand the sentiment and I might use the word disillusioned. Everything post Avengers to this point is just starting to feel really lazy and watered down. This is coming from someone who hated Iron Man 3 though, so take this with a grain of salt if you actually enjoyed that as a follow up to Avengers.

Sure I am intrigued for Thor 2 with Alan Taylor (Game of Thrones) on board (didn't particularly love the first one), and I did like the first Cap so I have no reason to suspect the second one won't be half decent. And as with most, I'm also pretty interested to see how they pull off GotG. That said, it really wouldn't shock me if they were all junk unfortunately.

And I also don't expect any of them will have any real impact on Avengers 2 either, which kind of defeats the purpose of all these supposed well-laid plans. Marvel is taking the easy route; make a bunch of stand alones, then just tranfix everyone in one giant mega movie. Will it work again? Maybe. I'd rather they build on the universes they've created, and have it be a serial mini-series so to speak. They brand themselves as such, but are continually lacking the substance to support that image. And I get why; it would be waaaay too complicated for them to have all of their screenwriters and directors in sync on that level. Except it really wouldn't be. But whatever.

What *should* have happened is this. Iron Man 3 ends with Tony Stark blasting up into space to see what else is out there after shattering a bunch of worlds down here. Pym should have been introduced in that film as well, and IM3 should have been followed up by Ant-Man, and the trouble Pym gets into playing around with AI with Stark gone up in space (cue the GotG cameo) and Ultron is created. Thor and Cap have their standalone stories but during which times the "growing" of Ultron is referenced or cut to. In Avengers 2, Pym joins the team alongside a few other newbies (Wasp, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch), they defeat Ultron and just when they think the coast is clear Thanos arrives (to follow up on the end of GotG) and starts to fuck reign down on earth; cue Avengers 3 and the need to recruit Dr. Strange, Black Panther, etc.

Instead we get a bunch of pointless stories that aren't even adapted properly from the comics instead. Now again, it's not to say they can't end up being good on an individual basis, it just totally has killed my buzz for what I thought they were trying to do. I am much more stoked for Days of Future Past than I am for ANY of the upcoming Marvel films. And that pains me considering where we where a year and a half ago. Who knows after Thor 2 things could change for me, maybe I'm still just really sore after that absolute fuckin disaster of IM 3. Fuck me I really wish I didn't hate that film so much. It's coming out shortly on blu, maybe another watch or two if I can sit through it will lessen my hatred. We'll see.

Hitman2110
08-22-2013, 11:50 PM
Iron Man 3 was definitely a disappointing kick-off for phase two. I almost don't care anymore. Maybe all of that will change with one or two good movies. It's hard to say. This specific universe is a billion dollar industry, so it's no surprise that they're milking it as much as possible, but I think the best thing they could do creatively is give us two more Avengers films (along with Guardians Of The Galaxy and maybe an Iron Man 4) and then call it a day. Again, that will never happen, but out of pure creative integrity I think it would be the right thing to do. One can only dream lol.

Hazekiah
08-23-2013, 01:57 AM
While we're actually on the subject of the Marvel cinematic universe here for a change, I'd just like to add that I thought Iron Man 3 was a pretty cool bit of closure for its trilogy and likewise thoroughly enjoyable in and of itself, I just felt like it should have been more clearly intertwined with whatever Phase Two should clearly be building to by now. But in hindsight the mere fact that it's centered around Tony's cognitive dissonance following the events of The Avengers is ultimately enough in the long-run. I just wish the post-credits scene was less of a throwaway and more relevant to the big picture again. But I guess they're having trouble figuring out what to do with the Hulk now so the more Banner the better, whatever his context. Anyway, the point is fuck it. Iron Man 3 was awesome and so was Iron Man 2.:PHaha, one more thing! If you haven't yet than you should all listen to Whedon's commentary for The Avengers. Hilarious shit and it's worth the time wasted just to hear him geek out AND apologize for Hawkeye's underdevelopment and the "Queen Bee" deus ex machina at the end. Priceless! Also a mere buck or so at RedBoxes everywhere, lol.

wunderpanda
08-23-2013, 02:04 AM
https://twitter.com/xmenmovies/status/370608631286214656/photo/1 mutant detection devices now standard ;D

Tiz
08-23-2013, 04:38 AM
The Wolverine was solid. I recommend it over the other flicks this year. I'm holding hope DOFP will kick ass.

marodi
09-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Edgar Wright's Ant Man moved up to July 2015 (http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/09/marvels-ant-man-moved-up-to-july-2015.html)

The movie was supposed to come out in November originally. The move means that it will open one week after Batman Vs Superman.

It's going to be a great couple of weeks for comic book movies! :D

Fixer808
09-11-2013, 05:24 AM
Iron Man 3... Ugh.

OSLIN
09-20-2013, 10:00 AM
http://marvel.com/captainamerica

Listen to a sample of the Captain America: The Winter Soldier score. Digging it!

orestes
09-22-2013, 09:40 PM
As far as fan trailers go, this is pretty good. (The Wolverine stinger scene included.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXixgs_eyps

The Great Destroyer
09-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Agents of SHIELD wasn't bad, but I was a little disappointed in how it was framed as a police procedural like every other show on television. I had been hoping from a little more considering the show's high profile and the fact that Whedon directed it.

orestes
09-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Asgardian Mussolini.

henryeatscereal
09-24-2013, 09:45 PM
Cool marketing happening to promote "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." done right here in Mexico:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psR8FidoHFU

Wretchedest
09-26-2013, 03:30 AM
yeah, checked out 'Agents' pretty much has all the trademark Whedon vibes that everyone but me seems to love. Whole thing was pretty cringe worthy IMO. It cameclose to hitting the mark a few times. If it kept the mystery/procedural vibe. But it kept tipping its hand early on. Maybe it'll get better.

koz-ivan
09-26-2013, 07:10 AM
While we're actually on the subject of the Marvel cinematic universe here for a change, I'd just like to add that I thought Iron Man 3 was a pretty cool bit of closure for its trilogy and likewise thoroughly enjoyable in and of itself, I just felt like it should have been more clearly intertwined with whatever Phase Two should clearly be building to by now. But in hindsight the mere fact that it's centered around Tony's cognitive dissonance following the events of The Avengers is ultimately enough in the long-run. I just wish the post-credits scene was less of a throwaway and more relevant to the big picture again. But I guess they're having trouble figuring out what to do with the Hulk now so the more Banner the better, whatever his context. Anyway, the point is fuck it. Iron Man 3 was awesome and so was Iron Man 2.:PHaha,

I don't get why every movie has to have a direct tie-in to everything else, the tie-ins feel like the big crossover events where every superhero gets thrown into the same mixing pot, now some of those can be brilliant - but not all of them were.

IM3 was a movie i really enjoyed, their risky take on the Mandarin was brilliant even if it would also really torque some folks the wrong way. It had just enough post Avengers to make sense, and yet still be a standalone film. ie if IM3 is the only movie you've seen it still works. I didn't like the over the topness of the extremis stuff and all 3000 of the iron man suits being melted faster than butter vs a hot knife, (maybe it's just the inner geek in me, but i hate when films break physics) but the cast was great, the story worked, successful film.

IM2 otoh i just remember being bored during the final big battle scene.

henryeatscereal
09-26-2013, 11:38 AM
yeah, checked out 'Agents' pretty much has all the trademark Whedon vibes that everyone but me seems to love. Whole thing was pretty cringe worthy IMO. It cameclose to hitting the mark a few times. If it kept the mystery/procedural vibe. But it kept tipping its hand early on. Maybe it'll get better.
To me it was just a "CSI-kind-of-show" with the excuse that it is Marvel... didn't care about it to be honest...

orestes
09-26-2013, 05:17 PM
The Avengers: Age of Ultron teaser trailer that was shown at SDCC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr5rzSMNmRM

kdrcraig
09-26-2013, 06:08 PM
I liked Agents of Shield quite a bit, will definitely be watching every week. An hour of Agent Coulson every week? Yes please. I also quite liked the other characters, the meat head "bad ass" is pretty lame though.

Bought Iron Man 3 and watched it again, still liked it a lot.

marodi
09-26-2013, 07:04 PM
I definitely enjoyed Agents of Shield too although there were a few uneasy moments. It felt like trying on a new pair of shoes (stupid feet) that you love but that aren't broken in yet. I have about a dozen theories about what really happened to Agent that he must not know about, regarding his survival after his encounter with the Asgardian Mussolini (who, technically, is a Jotun Mussolini). The new characters are a bit bland but it's just one episode; hopefully, it'll get better.

I didn't dig Flying Lola though.

gorast
09-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Agents of SHIELD was alright. They made some plot and scene choices that were pretty perplexing (especially that bit where it looked like the dude got shot but then it was just a tranquilizer? Could they possibly have been more vague and confusing about what happened there? Jesus.), but overall the episode was solid enough. Hopefully things will ramp up with the rest of the season.

I do like that they're staying away from referencing the films too much, keeping the show mostly independent. That's a good move, and I hope they stick with it.

orestes
09-26-2013, 07:36 PM
If you missed Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. umm, two days ago ABC is re-airing the pilot episode right now.

orestes
10-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Man, do they have kinks to work out on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Aside from Coulson and Nick Fury, I can't stand the newbies. Fitz and Simmons are so annoying, the hacker girl is blah and Agent Ward is not a very good actor.

Oh, and the CGI is really weak. Stop using the science drones as a plot device!

Tums206_BFY
10-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Not impressed by this show at all, not giving up on it yet by any means because come on it is only two episodes in so I am willing to give it a chance but so far this hasn't been that good. That is just my opinion of course. Maybe I expected too much from this show.

I agree Orestes I find all the characters outside of Coulson just bland and annoying.

And in their advertisements they keep hyping up the fact we should watch the last 5 minutes of every show, the old "Hey there will be cameo's by people you might care about every show" trick.

AgentofChaos
10-04-2013, 02:09 PM
The show has been comically bad, but still manages to come off slightly charming for a variety of reasons. I suppose that's about as best as I could have hoped for given my low expectations. I won't care if I follow it chronologically or miss an episode(s), nor do I consider it relevant MCU cannon, but over the course of a show's 45 min run time, it gets a few half smiles from me and has enough nice moments to justify its campy existence. I have a feeling this would have done so much better in the 80's. It's just fucking depressing big picture wise that in this day and age this is the best serial Marvel could come up with. It's best not to think about that part.

marodi
10-04-2013, 02:41 PM
I watch it for Coulson. As long as it's showing me Coulson, I'm happy. And it's only been 2 episodes; it may get better yet.

kdrcraig
10-04-2013, 03:46 PM
I don't know, I like it. Agent Ward or whatever his name is is terrible but I don't mind the rest of the cast.

And like marodi said, as long as Coulson is in it I don't give a shit.

orestes
10-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Well, so far I'm enjoying the Thor commercials they've been airing each week more than the show. :p

orestes
10-09-2013, 12:33 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/970a6285202bd73697ed5c86a0039e11/tumblr_mudxfwYOK81shb6bbo2_400.gif

Yeah, this show- I'm out.

kdrcraig
10-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Yeah this week's episode was pretty bad

OSLIN
10-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Trailer on iTunes in 2 days

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u344/joslinin/ukz32_zps7b96fb87.jpg (http://s518.photobucket.com/user/joslinin/media/ukz32_zps7b96fb87.jpg.html)

gorast
10-23-2013, 12:58 AM
I wonder if that'll be the same trailer running before Thor. Hopefully that means it won't be a teaser and instead we'll get a full thing. But probably not.

OSLIN
10-23-2013, 08:02 AM
I wonder if that'll be the same trailer running before Thor. Hopefully that means it won't be a teaser and instead we'll get a full thing. But probably not.

I'm hoping a full trailer, but I would be content with a tease. I'm from Cleveland and had the chance to be an extra on set for a couple days, it was amazing. I hope I make the final cut, but with this mug I'll probably find the chopping room floor.

orestes
10-23-2013, 09:17 AM
There's this to whet your appetite.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=88945#54aDm3QpdqhWEbcB.99

The Great Destroyer
10-23-2013, 09:25 AM
Kevin Feige teases calls Ant-Man a "heist movie," all but confirms Dr. Strange.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=88960

gorast
10-24-2013, 11:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLWsK1ZFunA

Get hyped. This movie looks fucking incredible.

orestes
10-24-2013, 12:11 PM
^ ^ Oh shit!

X-Men trailer to debut before Thor: The Dark World.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/10/24/first-footage-from-x-men-days-of-future-past-mutant-mayhem-in-fragments/

edit: on second thought, no. Marvel is saying October 29th (http://instagram.com/p/f1nxeADozp/).

theburningreptile
10-29-2013, 07:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK2zYHWDZKo

Deadpool
10-29-2013, 10:39 AM
Had no idea Blink was in the new X-Men movie until today - so awesome! She's been one of my favorites since Exiles (great ongoing series that I never finished). That trailer was better than I expected. Starting to get really excited!

marodi
10-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Don't laugh at me but I had tears in my eyes when young Xavier yells "I don't want your suffering. I don't want your future!" to his older self and his older self answers calming with "please... we need you to hope again".

The feels, people; the feeeeels!

God I can't wait.

orestes
10-29-2013, 11:52 AM
Me tooooooo!

thevoid99
10-29-2013, 03:45 PM
OK, I'm putting this in my 25 films to see for 2014.

ziltoid
10-29-2013, 04:31 PM
I'm beyond excited to see X-Men Days of Future Past.

I'm curious as to why all of the marvel movies have yet acknowledge the existence of superheroes from other movies in their own movies?

Are the movies just like the comics, that each character has a separate part of the multiverse?

Superheroes such as Spider-man, The Punisher, Blade, Fantastic Four (Jack Kirby must have rolled over in his grave), Dare Devil, Ghost Rider, Thor, Ironman etc.

orestes
10-29-2013, 05:42 PM
Because different studios own franchise rights at the moment.

The Great Destroyer
11-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Marvel has announced that they will develop four new television shows for Netflix based on Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Jessica Jones. The shows will all have at least 13 episodes before crossing over into a Defenders miniseries and will debut in 2015. Talk about a huge deal for Netflix and it should be exciting to see the gritty street-level side of the Marvel Universe on the small screen. Now hopefully we get a Punisher show sometime soon...

Fixer808
11-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Y'know, I'd like to see Tom Jane reprise his turn as Frank Castle in a new movie and somehow get worked into the next Avengers movie. The second part won't HAPPEN, but a man can dream... War Zone was utter shit.

And for all its shitty bits, I still enjoyed Jane's Punisher.

The Great Destroyer
11-07-2013, 02:26 PM
I think Punisher would do better on TV and take more of a Greg Rucka route in how they portray the character. Less dialogue, more of a focus on Frank as a force of nature who only cares about his mission. They could frame the show from the perspective of the NYPD who are trying to capture Punisher. Plus we could see a Punisher/Daredevil confrontation which would be awesome.

gorast
11-07-2013, 04:11 PM
I very much prefer the idea of keeping these shows in the same universe but otherwise separate from the films. Iron Fist and Daredevil don't translate well to the kind of movies that Marvel Studios makes; Luke Cage could work in an Avengers movie because he's been an Avenger in the comics for a long time (but who hasn't?), and it would help keep the two tied together and remind audiences that "hey, yes, this is the same universe."

That said, did Marvel confirm that these are MCU TV series? I can't imagine why they wouldn't be, but I'd feel better knowing for sure that they are.

henryeatscereal
11-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Y'know, I'd like to see Tom Jane reprise his turn as Frank Castle in a new movie and somehow get worked into the next Avengers movie. The second part won't HAPPEN, but a man can dream... War Zone was utter shit.

And for all its shitty bits, I still enjoyed Jane's Punisher.
Tom Jane's Punisher was awesome, it was "far" from the comic but damn entretaining!
That fight with the Russian and Travolta's performance are the high points for me!

Broadbent
11-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Soooo, from what I understand... Netflix is producing 4 new original shows, with 13 episodes each, and a mini-series. that's 52 episodes plus whatever the mini series is. Let's say another 3 or 4 hour long episodes? That's a HUGE deal. I'm curious as to how they are going to be released. I don't think they'll shoot their wad and release all 4 series at the same time. Probably two a year, but will all the episodes be released at once like other Netflix originals? How long are these episodes half hour or full hour? Will they link in with "Marvel's Agents of shield" at all?

I for one certainly hope going to the internet allows these characters to have a little more hair on them so to speak. And not as cookie cutter as the Disney show. Marvel has also recently acquired the rights back to "Blade" and "The Punisher". This gives them some good "anti-heros"(Like Loki) who would be great in a tv series or cameo appearences , but don't necessarily need a big budget origins movie to be introduced to the MCU. It also sets up any "Versus" movies they would want to do. I'd love a Hawkeye Vs Punisher movie.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out..

orestes
11-07-2013, 10:58 PM
This is timely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSIwu1qT5K0

It is now my mission to seek out and watch as many of these as possible.

orestes
11-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Better watch before it gets pulled. Deleted alternate ending to The Wolverine.

http://vk.com/video-35604661_166578652?hash=967cc840cc2de471

Broadbent
11-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Better watch before it gets pulled. Deleted alternate ending to The Wolverine.

http://vk.com/video-35604661_166578652?hash=967cc840cc2de471

that's pretty sweet

october_midnight
11-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Hell, if you didn't see The Wolverine at all yet, better watch THIS before it gets pulled:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=h2DvZYLJGJU

imail724
11-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Anyone have a new link to the Wolverine alternate ending?

AgentofChaos
11-16-2013, 12:29 PM
As someone who somewhat ragged on Agents of Shield pages ago, I will give it up and say the last 2 episodes were pretty solid. Seems like the show is rounding into form now. It's never going to be what I want it to be, but it's definitely starting to explore some deeper concepts and connect a few more dots in the bigger picture of the MCU. Seems like there is actually a long form game plan to tie it in to Avengers 2. Glad I didn't give up on it. I know the ratings have been getting lower and lower, so its death could be imminent, but I hope the show does in fact get renewed. Or at least gets a proper finish and some closure to the Coulson story if it does indeed get canned. Feels like Disney/Marvel really want this to work as a lead in to AoU, so I think we should see some form of a season 2, even if it has to be truncated to cut out some filler.

FYI next week's Thor tie in episode will be directed by Jonathan Frakes.

imail724
12-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Has anyone watched the extended cut of The Wolverine yet? I'm curious what people think. So far I've read pretty mixed reviews of it, with some people saying the added language/violence is unnecessary and only makes the film drag on longer, while others are saying it is their preferred cut.

henryeatscereal
12-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Hi res image of the Amazing Spider Man 2 poster featuring Rhino, the "Green Goblin" and Electro...

HERE (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=49482)

imail724
12-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Wait, so they turned the Rhino into a mechanical bull?

Also Jamie Foxx as Electro looks like Michael Jai White as Spawn without the mask.

thelastdisciple
12-04-2013, 03:07 AM
This is timely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSIwu1qT5K0

It is now my mission to seek out and watch as many of these as possible.
They missed Generation X haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaV_gxB6VeA

henryeatscereal
12-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Wait, so they turned the Rhino into an mechanical bull?

Also Jamie Foxx as Electro looks like Michael Jai White as Spawn without the mask.
As cliché as it sounds: Worst "costumes"... ever...

elementroejoy
12-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Wait, so they turned the Rhino into an mechanical bull?
Rhinos storyline is that he "stole an experimental suit of armor from the U.S. military (http://stole an experimental suit of armor from the U.S. military)"

october_midnight
12-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Before it's pulled...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTTl_XvUiCA&feature=youtu.be

october_midnight
12-05-2013, 04:15 PM
Bryan Singer just tweeted something, of course it could mean anything but take it for what it is...

@BryanSinger #XMEN #Apocalypse 2016!

theburningreptile
12-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Bryan Singer just tweeted something, of course it could mean anything but take it for what it is...

@BryanSinger #XMEN #Apocalypse 2016!

Wow, I hope this happens. Apocalypse is my favorite mutant besides Magneto. He would be the perfect villain I think. They would just have to cast someone believable or pull a Dr Manhattan. Either way I can't wait for both movies.

thelastdisciple
12-07-2013, 06:03 AM
Wow, I hope this happens. Apocalypse is my favorite mutant besides Magneto. He would be the perfect villain I think. They would just have to cast someone believable or pull a Dr Manhattan. Either way I can't wait for both movies.
The guy that plays Xerxes on 300 would be perfect for Apocalypse i think.

Fixer808
12-07-2013, 06:40 AM
Hmm, that's a good call. I can imagine them finally mixing the franchises if Singer has his way. I mean, Days of Future Past could well be adapted as a "fragmented time" kind of thing to usher in the Age of Apocalypse... A man can dream, can't he? At the very least, I can see the Avengers universe characters being involved in whatever will be going on.

Also, if Apocalypse IS going to be in a movie it's likely Mr. Sinister will be showing his face! This fan-made image turned up in a Google search for Apocalypse, I hope a studio exec sees it, because I think it would be great casting:
http://media.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/19587/X-MEN FANCAST CHARACTER MR.SINISTER ACTOR RALPH FIENNES.png

marodi
12-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Paul Rudd as Ant-Man? (http://www.thewrap.com/paul-rudd-early-talks-play-ant-man-edgar-wrights-marvel-movie-exclusive)

He gets my vote.

gorast
12-18-2013, 09:09 PM
I am completely fine with Paul Rudd playing Hank Pym.

Ocean Blooms
12-18-2013, 09:26 PM
Yup, Marvel knows exactly what they're doing. If only DC could get their shit together.

marodi
01-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Anyone else still watching Agents of SHIELD? Because last night's episode is the stuff nightmares are made of. To quote a character: what was done to bring Coulson back from the dead was "ungodly".

I've never been this disturbed by something in a long time.

thelastdisciple
01-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Yeah that last Shield episode got pretty dark.

Seeing them reconstruct Coulson's brain was freaky..

marodi
01-08-2014, 11:13 AM
Yeah that last Shield episode got pretty dark.

Seeing them reconstruct Coulson's brain was freaky..

And hearing him begging them to let him die was horrible. Poor Coulson didn't deserve this. However, it did give us an amazing performance from Clark Gregg.

gorast
01-08-2014, 10:00 PM
I'm mad that we didn't actually get a god damn resolution for it. "You were dead for a while but we brought you back lol." That's not a definitive answer, that's more stringing along bullshit. This had better be definitively closed by the end of the season.

Aside from that, incredible episode. Glad to see Mike Peterson wasn't uselessly blown up last episode, and this is a great setup for a new (unwilling) antagonist.

Broadbent
01-09-2014, 11:57 AM
I'm mad that we didn't actually get a god damn resolution for it. "You were dead for a while but we brought you back lol." That's not a definitive answer, that's more stringing along bullshit. This had better be definitively closed by the end of the season.

Aside from that, incredible episode. Glad to see Mike Peterson wasn't uselessly blown up last episode, and this is a great setup for a new (unwilling) antagonist.

I feel like we got a resolution, it was just kinda shitty. What happened to Coulson? Well he died, then they brought him back to life. that's really all they gave us. He died, they fixed him. I don't know what else they really have to reveal. I've been watching this show since the start, and do you know what it really needs? It really needs a comedic character to take the edge off of all the supernatural stuff. If they got someone like Patton Oswald or Kevin Smith(you know a funny nerd type). That would really help the show for me, especially with the weak acting. Patton Oswald playing a "tech guy" or something sprinkling some jokes in every now and again would be great. maybe not break the 4th wall, but at least be self aware of how crazy the things going on are.

OSLIN
01-09-2014, 12:03 PM
http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u344/joslinin/1497558_794506800565894_356471377_n_zps35b8228c.jp g

marodi
01-09-2014, 12:24 PM
Just saw that. I don't want to get too excited about it though... who am I kidding. How awesome would that be?

edit: I think now the question isn't so much how did they bring Coulson back from the dead but why? Why him; what's so special about him? Also I can't wait to see how they are going to play the Mike Peterson story line.

marodi
01-13-2014, 11:25 AM
Bill Paxton joining Agents of Shield for multi-episode arc (http://collider.com/bill-paxton-agents-of-shield)

Best news ever. Unless it's game over, man! GAME OVER!

orestes
01-13-2014, 03:59 PM
Michael Douglas cast as Hank Pym. (http://www.nerdist.com/2014/01/michael-douglas-to-play-hank-pym-in-ant-man/)

gorast
01-13-2014, 05:41 PM
That's a super intriguing casting choice, because it makes me wonder where this movie is going, something we've been given exactly zero hints about up until now. Hell, Paul Rudd wasn't even announced to be Scott Lang when he was cast (and he still hasn't, for the record).

Making Hank quite a bit older than the rest of the Avengers, I think, puts him squarely in a support role once Avengers 3 comes around, if he even gets that. Ant-Man being called a heist movie by Kevin Feige and Edgar Wright makes much more sense with Scott Lang as the one doing all the "superhero" shit.

Plus, Michael Douglas is fucking awesome. Marvel continues to surprise me with the people they're able to rope into what is usually boiled down to "comic book movies."

marodi
01-13-2014, 07:44 PM
Michael Douglas is awesome that's for sure but I was surprised to read this. I was thinking that the movie was going to be an origin movie, with a younger Hank Pym. When Paul Rudd was announced as Ant-Man, I was thinking Ant-Man = Hank Pym, not Scott Lang. Not that I mind of course although there is one thing that I wonder about: does this mean that we'll never get to see Wasp?

gorast
01-14-2014, 10:54 AM
Well, she doesn't need to be paired with Hank Pym. She could be Scott Lang's love interest, or colleague, or she could be Hank's significantly younger wife (just like Michael Douglas), or she could be his age and someone else could take up the Wasp suit.

Actually, I would love that - Hank and Janet were Ant-Man and Wasp in the good old days, and here come Scott Lang and his female co-hort to steal the tech. Makes for a hilarious movie, IMO.

orestes
01-17-2014, 09:55 PM
Oh man, this is good news. (https://www.nerdist.com/2014/01/agent-carter-series-gets-showrunners/)

gorast
01-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Sif is going to be on Agents of SHIELD soon as well. Don't know how they swung that (does Jaime Alexander demand a lot of money?), but it's great news for getting film fans to watch the show, because Sif is a great character.

orestes
01-21-2014, 11:29 PM
Did anyone know they're rebooting Fantastic Four? (http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1720845/fantastic-four-casting-game-of-thrones-stars.jhtml) *crickets*

thevoid99
01-21-2014, 11:49 PM
Did anyone know they're rebooting Fantastic Four? (http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1720845/fantastic-four-casting-game-of-thrones-stars.jhtml) *crickets*

I've heard about this for months... does anyone really care?

orestes
01-22-2014, 06:24 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if this gets pushed back to not compete against Avengers 2 because otherwise, lol at Fox studios.

gorast
01-22-2014, 10:33 AM
I've heard about that for a while. Casting Michael B. Jordan was a good move, he's a good actor, but I can't help but feel that Fox will try to push racial diversity as their main selling point instead of, y'know, a good story.

Now, if the film is good, that's great for them, they made a good choice. But it won't be, because this is Fox, and everyone still remembers the other two Fantastic Four movies.

henryeatscereal
01-22-2014, 12:44 PM
I care, since they are my favorite Marvel characters right behind SpiderMan, yet the two Jessica Alba movies were so terrible the idea of another FF movie disgust me, hope they take a better route this time.

Space Suicide
01-22-2014, 12:53 PM
So due to the success of a darker, more serious reboot with Nolan's Batman films we have to have every superhero movie that flopped or was goofy see the same treatment? Absolutely zero interest in Fantastic Four from me. I enjoy The Thing but ehhhh.

marodi
01-22-2014, 01:02 PM
Michael Chiklis was great and I thought that Chris Evans was too. But Ioan Gruffudd was atrocious and he and Jessica Alba had zero chemistry (and she was very annoying). Julian McMahon had his moments but overall was wasted as Doom. Everything else was just horrible.

Frankly, I was surprised there was a sequel.

Fox should forget Fantastic Four for now and concentrate on the X-Men franchise.

thevoid99
01-22-2014, 03:59 PM
Michael Chiklis and Chris Evans were the only things in those films that were any good. Chiklis brought the Thing to life while Evans was right for the Human Torch. Plus, those two were very funny together. Everything else about those films just plain sucked ass.

henryeatscereal
01-23-2014, 11:01 AM
I don't want a "darker" "grittier" Fantastic Four movie, i just want them to respect the basic premise of the comic:

The whole feud of Reed Richards VS Victor Von Doom is the everlasting battle of "Science VS Magic" (since Dr Doom is an student of the mystic arts).
Making him part of the FF's origin was a terrible decision that went overboard by showing his armor is his actual skin...
Also Reed isn't supposed to be an arrogant cool leader, he's the father figure of them all and the voice of reason, Jessica Alba was a terrible invisible girl (he should be an older woman and actually blonde), but a agree that The Thing and Johnny Storm were done correctly.
If you add terrible dialog and terrible stories to the mix and there you go! ...the Fantastic Four as a franchise is crap!

Those things could be easily fixed, there's no need of a "darker" tone or different production values, just make a good story, good casting and try to use the source material as an inspiration, not just make a generic FF movie with handsome actors lots of effects...

gorast
01-23-2014, 12:00 PM
It felt like they were taking some inspiration from Ultimate FF - Doom was an essential aspect of their origin in that universe, Reed was/is a total tool, etc. But they took these concepts and paired them with the mainstream designs of the Fantastic Four and then concocted a horrible story for it.

If they do the mainstream design, they need to go all the way. If they do Ultimate, they need to go all the way. They can't pick and choose the way Marvel does because they're clearly terrible at it.

ziltoid
01-26-2014, 04:51 PM
Is it true that Ant Man will not be appearing in The Age of Ultron?
If so why? I don't understand how they could take out someone as integral to the story plot and make it work.

Spoiler: For fucks sakes he created the fucking thing and tries to destroy it.
Can some one be kind enough to show me how to implement spoiler tags?

gorast
01-26-2014, 05:02 PM
Ultron can be reworked to not be tied to Hank Pym because it's a new medium. The rumors say Ultron will probably be a governmental project, possibly aided by Tony Stark, who will end up in Hank's role.

Spoiler tags are [ spoiler] and [ /spoiler], without the spaces.

ziltoid
01-26-2014, 05:37 PM
Ultron can be reworked to not be tied to Hank Pym because it's a new medium. The rumors say Ultron will probably be a governmental project, possibly aided by Tony Stark, who will end up in Hank's role.

Spoiler tags are [ spoiler] and [ /spoiler], without the spaces. Thanks Final Destiny.
I see now. So it is correct to say that Ultron will be a Tony Stark creation?
I'm just trying to wrap this around my head.

I was really hoping to see Ant Man get the recognition he deserves, his story line is really fascinating. I guess I will just have to settle for the Ant Man movie and hope to high hell they don't mess it up. I know they're removing some unsavory "incidents" from his back-story so it will get a pg-13 rating and I'm ok with that. Edgar Wright directing gives me some hope that it will be at least watchable but I'm just not so sure about it.

gorast
01-26-2014, 07:49 PM
I wouldn't say "correct", necessarily - rather that it's the prevailing theory because it's the only one that makes sense. The MCU only has one genius level character as of right now, that being Tony Stark. (Bruce doesn't quite count, I think.) We won't get any Ant-Man related stuff until after the movie, excluding a possible post-credits scene attached to Avengers 2.

An-Man, however, will definitely do justice to, at the very least, Scott Lang. Seeing as Michael Douglas is Hank Pym, I think we'll be getting a much different, perhaps more sympathetic portrayal of Pym than we would have gotten if he were the main character - central character, rather.

Wretchedest
01-26-2014, 08:07 PM
Maybe it was because i was really high at the time but i fucking loved fantastic four and the silver surfer

henryeatscereal
01-26-2014, 11:39 PM
Thanks Final Destiny.
I see now. So it is correct to say that Ultron will be a Tony Stark creation?
I'm just trying to wrap this around my head.

Since "Ant Man" is getting his own movie directed by Edgar Wright and it will be a different franchise they decided to drop the Hank Pym character and handed the creation of Ultron to Iron Man (since "Jarvis" is an artificial intelligence already i think it will be "easier" to the audience to "accept" the fact that Tony is building a "better" and "improved" version of Jarvis as Ultron)
I hate the idea and found out it was very forced but what else are you going to do? we're talking about the guys that decided that The Mandarin should be joke...

Archive_Reports
01-27-2014, 12:41 PM
Has anyone brought up the possibility that Pym still creates Ultron but is working for the government or another party? It could be revealed at the end and tie it directly to the Ant Man movie.

marodi
01-27-2014, 12:46 PM
Maybe it was because i was really high at the time but i fucking loved fantastic four and the silver surfer

It must have been some really great stuff you were having!

Has anyone brought up the possibility that Pym still creates Ultron but is working for the government or another party? It could be revealed at the end and tie it directly to the Ant Man movie.

Mayyyybe but they will have to find a way to explain where Ultron comes from in the movie, don't they?

Joss Whedon have said that The Godfather part II is his "guiding star" for Age of Ultron. I'm still trying to process that.

henryeatscereal
01-27-2014, 01:12 PM
It must have been some really great stuff you were having!

Mayyyybe but they will have to find a way to explain where Ultron comes from in the movie, don't they?

Joss Whedon have said that The Godfather part II is his "guiding star" for Age of Ultron. I'm still trying to process that.
So, Tony Stark will be going to Italy at some point?

gorast
01-27-2014, 01:13 PM
Since "Ant Man" is getting his own movie directed by Edgar Wright and it will be a different franchise they decided to drop the Hank Pym character and handed the creation of Ultron to Iron Man (since "Jarvis" is an artificial intelligence already i think it will be "easier" to the audience to "accept" the fact that Tony is building a "better" and "improved" version of Jarvis as Ultron)
I hate the idea and found out it was very forced but what else are you going to do? we're talking about the guys that decided that The Mandarin should be joke...

What?

There's nothing forced about it. This is a completely different universe, one in which Hank Pym is currently an offhand remark by Selvig in Thor. Having him be responsible for the primary villain of Avengers 2 makes no sense for the audience the film is aiming at - the ones who don't read comics, but have been following these movies because they're good and they make sense. It makes sense to give Ultron to Tony, because Tony is who the entire universe revolves around. This is not 616 on the big screen. Origins do not have to conform to fifty-year-old comic books.

henryeatscereal
01-27-2014, 01:28 PM
What?

There's nothing forced about it. This is a completely different universe, one in which Hank Pym is currently an offhand remark by Selvig in Thor. Having him be responsible for the primary villain of Avengers 2 makes no sense for the audience the film is aiming at - the ones who don't read comics, but have been following these movies because they're good and they make sense. It makes sense to give Ultron to Tony, because Tony is who the entire universe revolves around. This is not 616 on the big screen. Origins do not have to conform to fifty-year-old comic books.
I agree that Tony as the creator of Ultron works better for the movie plot, he was already introduced to the movie audience and as i mentioned the "Jarvis AI" could be a parting point into making Ultron as a "credible" thing that Tony would built.
I agree that introducing Hank would only confuse the audience and it's better to hand the origin to Stark but that doesn' justify Marvelt to eliminate the Hank Pyn character altogether.
Either as Ant-Man, Giant Man or Yellow-jacket he's one of the coolest members of the Avengers, the character would work on screen and would be a much needed "wildcard" to the Avengers roster because his infamous "mood swings".
I think i would work in Avengers 2, he's still a founding avenger and would be awesome to watch him shrink or grow large to kick some ass...

In my opinion Pym works better as an avenger than as a solo hero, 'course i could be wrong and i have tremendous trust in someone like Edgar Wright to make his film, but i rather have him as a member of the Avengers and if that happens i could be easy to "buy" the fact that he creates Ultron.

gorast
01-27-2014, 05:33 PM
That's probably why Pym isn't the focus, in favor of Lang. It's going to be quite interesting to see, if Wright decides to make Pym a prototypical superhero of the 60s, or if Pym will have just created the technology but never used it, leaving the door open for Lang to become the "true" Ant-Man.

In any case, I knew very little about comics when the film was announced, so I thought it would be monumentally stupid, but now that I actually know these characters, there are so, so many ways to make the film awesome.

henryeatscereal
01-27-2014, 08:19 PM
That's probably why Pym isn't the focus, in favor of Lang. It's going to be quite interesting to see, if Wright decides to make Pym a prototypical superhero of the 60s, or if Pym will have just created the technology but never used it, leaving the door open for Lang to become the "true" Ant-Man.

In any case, I knew very little about comics when the film was announced, so I thought it would be monumentally stupid, but now that I actually know these characters, there are so, so many ways to make the film awesome.
I agree: the movies are one thing and the comics a whole different beast...

AgentofChaos
01-27-2014, 10:45 PM
What?

Sorry but this is bullshit to me. Everyone's biggest gripe about the x-universe is how they make everything extremely Wolvie centric. Now they're doing the same thing to Tony Stark in this world, and its not a cop out? How is it any different?

Here are some other reasons why Tony creating Ultron is problematic for the MCU for me;

1) As much as I disliked Iron Man 3 for many reasons, this would make the end of that film even more pointless and annoying. For a stand alone film, the whole point was to get Tony to learn some responsibility for his machines and thus he destroys them at the end as they became too powerful to control. Fast forward to A2, and oh ok he completely disregards everything he learns there and immediately creates some end of the world type intelligence that gets away from him. Nice, so IM3 becomes even more useless to the MCU - at this stage in the game that is just flat out terrible planning. Obviously he has to get back into the suit at some point, but the way to do that is by introducing a new relevant character to force that issue, not for Tony to immediately take 3 steps backward for no thought out or legitimate reason.

2) If you are not connecting Pym to Ultron in any way, what in the hell is the point of introducing him as the immediate direct follow up to Avengers 2? You could still use Jarvis and have Stark be connected to the development but there needs to be a catalyst and Pym would be an excellent choice, especially given the timing. Again, I'm not asking for perfect comic book continuity, but make the characters you introduce relevant and the choices well planned and this does not appear to be either. It seems like AoU has pretty much no connection to IM3 at this point, and Ant Man is almost not even relevant at all to the MCU despite the fact it will be released a couple months afterward. It's like Wright just really wanted to do the movie, and they were like ok, but you can't have it touch or connect to anything we're doing. Because that would require too much work and/or attention to detail? Give me a fucking break. Maybe I'm wrong and they will try, at least loosely to connect them, but it's hard to have faith at this point. And you can't say well all of this is being done for the mainstream audience, because if we're watching an Ant Man movie featuring a founding member of the Avengers which has no ties to the Avengers MCU, then why the fuck is the mainstream audience even going to see Ant Man? This is not exactly a story that just needs to be told here. It's poor business because you want to give fans of Avengers a reason to see this flick, poor strategy because it devalues the other films in the phase, all while being disrespectful to the cannon in the process and pissing off the fan base. Where exactly is the benefit?

3) So if Jarvis becomes Ultron, you waste the Paul Bettany voice and just "replace" him with Spader? Seems a little off that because the machine evolves and becomes evil that his voice would just randomly change. It seems like this needs to be a new entity that would co-exist alongside Jarvis since while Tony is battling him he will still need a "co-pilot" so to speak. So while Jarvis could easily be connected to the creation of Ultron in some way, it would seem hard to accomplish this through Tony Stark without destroying the Jarvis character entirely, which would just be counter productive and provide a time wasting and needlessly difficult cinematic transition for so many reasons.

So yes, to me, giving Ultron to Tony is a brutal call. At least at this point. It's not so much that it's forced, its just fucking lazy. If you were going to go that route, you needed to plant the seeds in IM3, not just assume that the events of the previous film have little to no effect on the character and that it won't matter or people won't notice. Now maybe I'm wrong, and I'd be happy to eat crow here. But after IM3, my expectations are low. I hope Whedon can prove me wrong and there is currently more vision to the MCU than I can see right now.

marodi
01-27-2014, 11:22 PM
I think we're all forgetting that between now and Age of Ultron, there's still The Winter Soldier to come. The theory concerning WS is that it will paint Shield in a lot less sympathetic way (and Agents of Shield has already started that with the extreme ways Fury went to to keep Coulson alive). We already know Shield is shady from The Avengers; they were planning to build an arsenal based on the Tesseract. So my theory is that Shield will be exposed as definitely not friendly in WS (causing Cap to apparently steal his old uniform from the Smithsonian because the new one represents Shield and that's not what he stands for ). From the Winter Soldier trailer we also know that Fury is injured in a car accident, courtesy of dear old brainwashed Bucky; maybe he's replaced at the head of Shield? .

On the other hand, the MCU has established that Stark's technology has been stolen from him before. So here's my theory: Shield got their hands on a version of Jarvis (because why wouldn't they want it) and by tinkering with it, they end up creating Ultron. Stark blames Shield, Shield blames Stark, Banner sees green and Baron von Strucker comes out of nowhere to do God knows what.

As an after the credit scene, it could be revealed that Shield had tasked Hank Pym to mess with Stark technology, making him the creator of Ultron and introducing him for his upcoming movie.

In my head, it all makes sense. But then a lot of things do when in reality, they make no sense at all. :P

gorast
01-28-2014, 01:14 AM
I don't have the focus to formulate a response right now, but I do just want to say that the X-Men universe is trash and the MCU doesn't deserve to be compared to that, even in an argument that makes sense.

(You guys see Quicksilver? What the fuck is Bryan Singer doing?)

The Great Destroyer
01-28-2014, 10:08 AM
After seeing the costume designs for DoFP, it's pretty clear Bryan Singer has lost any of the credibility he had from the first 2 X-Men movies. Why does Wolverine need body armor? And Quicksilver's costume is horrible; makes the leather outfits from Daredevil look good! I was excited for this movie and Apocalypse as it might have reversed the franchise's negative momentum, but if anything it'll be an overcrowded mess of a movie.

ziltoid
01-28-2014, 03:13 PM
I think we're all forgetting that between now and Age of Ultron, there's still The Winter Soldier to come. The theory concerning WS is that it will paint Shield in a lot less sympathetic way (and Agents of Shield has already started that with the extreme ways Fury went to to keep Coulson alive). We already know Shield is shady from The Avengers; they were planning to build an arsenal based on the Tesseract. So my theory is that Shield will be exposed as definitely not friendly in WS (causing Cap to apparently steal his old uniform from the Smithsonian because the new one represents Shield and that's not what he stands for ). From the Winter Soldier trailer we also know that Fury is injured in a car accident, courtesy of dear old brainwashed Bucky; maybe he's replaced at the head of Shield? ...

As an after the credit scene, it could be revealed that Shield had tasked Hank Pym to mess with Stark technology, making him the creator of Ultron and introducing him for his upcoming movie.

In my head, it all makes sense. But then a lot of things do when in reality, they make no sense at all. :P

Could this be a catalyst to start tier three of the movies and set up Civil War?
I mean how possible could this be since some of the integral characters are split by different movie companies?

How excellent could Civil War be in movie form if done right?
I'm maybe setting myself up for disappointment for something that may never happen but I can't help myself from hoping that this could become reality. After IM3 I need to keep my enthusiasm and reality in check

henryeatscereal
01-28-2014, 04:54 PM
QUicksilver looks like (DC's) Impulse, WTF...

The Great Destroyer
01-28-2014, 05:26 PM
Could this be a catalyst to start tier three of the movies and set up Civil War?
I mean how possible could this be since some of the integral characters are split by different movie companies?

How excellent could Civil War be in movie form if done right?
I'm maybe setting myself up for disappointment for something that may never happen but I can't help myself from hoping that this could become reality. After IM3 I need to keep my enthusiasm and reality in check
Avengers 3 is going to be the Infinity Gauntlet, not Civil War.

marodi
01-28-2014, 05:55 PM

Funny you should say that because I've just read that Marvel is already planning Captain America 3 (http://variety.com/2014/film/news/anthony-joe-russo-captain-america-3-1201073078/)

While I don't believe the whole Civil War story line could be done, they could adapt some of it, mainly the events culminating in Captain America's death. WS is introducing Crossbones and Sharon and Bucky's back just in time to become the new Cap.

I don't want to get my hopes up (or anyone else's) but we've seen a couple of shots with Bucky holding the shield. Maybe it means nothing at all too...

And yes Avengers 3 will deal with Thanos.

orestes
02-03-2014, 03:41 PM
Sooooo Thor 3 has been confirmed with scriptwriting duties being shuffled around for Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost, both veterans of comic book writing. Nothing's been confirmed as far as overall storyline but there's a possibility the movie will entail Ragnarok (please include Sutur and Amora!) There are rumors that the movie will be released on May 6, 2016, which would put it squarely in competition with Superman vs. Batman. Right now, Marvel has an unannounced movie set for this date.

http://io9.com/does-the-choice-of-writers-for-thor-3-mean-well-see-ra-1514602235

Broadbent
02-03-2014, 10:03 PM
Sooooo Thor 3 has been confirmed with scriptwriting duties being shuffled around for Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost, both veterans of comic book writing. Nothing's been confirmed as far as overall storyline but there's a possibility the movie will entail Ragnarok (please include Sutur and Amora!) There are rumors that the movie will be released on May 6, 2016, which would put it squarely in competition with Superman vs. Batman. Right now, Marvel has an unannounced movie set for this date.

http://io9.com/does-the-choice-of-writers-for-thor-3-mean-well-see-ra-1514602235

I hope they kill Natalie Portman. My only complaint with the MCU is not enough death(All we got was the fake Coulsen death). Maybe Black Widow or Hawkeye will get the axe in Phase 3.

orestes
02-03-2014, 10:10 PM
I hope they kill Natalie Portman. My only complaint with the MCU is not enough death(All we got was the fake Coulsen death). Maybe Black Widow or Hawkeye will get the axe in Phase 3.

Neeeevvvvvvvver! We need a Black Widow origin story.

Broadbent
02-03-2014, 10:29 PM
Neeeevvvvvvvver! We need a Black Widow origin story.

But that'd be perfect. They could end her story in say Avengers 2. And then go back and give her a solo movie to tell the beginning.

orestes
02-03-2014, 11:20 PM
I could see them doing a Black Widow stand-alone movie after the current Captain America movie because her history and Bucky's is so intwined.

gorast
02-04-2014, 10:39 PM
All Hail the King is out today, as part of Thor 2's digital release.

The Mandarin has been real this whole time - it's just not Killian or Trevor Slattery. I'd say "that'll shut the fanboys up", but of course it won't. "IF HE EXISTED THEN WHY WASN'T HE THE VILLAIN?????"

Aside from that, what a genius One-Shot. These have just been getting better and better. Not to mention Justin Hammer at the end. Classic.

orestes
02-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Paul Bettany cast as Vision. http://variety.com/2014/film/news/paul-bettany-to-play-the-vision-in-marvels-avengers-age-of-ultron-1201090635/

cicatriz
02-06-2014, 09:43 PM
man i was banking on the clairvoyant turning out to be the vision or someone that eventually evolves into the vision

Deadpool
02-06-2014, 10:14 PM
Paul Bettany cast as Vision. http://variety.com/2014/film/news/paul-bettany-to-play-the-vision-in-marvels-avengers-age-of-ultron-1201090635/

Wow! Very unexpected but very welcome news. So curious how Bettany and Spader will shine through their characters...

marodi
02-07-2014, 01:40 PM

*dies*

Oh man the possibilities. Stark/Jarvis/Ultron/Vision is definitely a thing, all that's left is how it's going to play out.

man i was banking on the clairvoyant turning out to be the vision or someone that eventually evolves into the vision

My little theory about the Clairvoyant is that he's the Leader, especially since Couslon named-dropped Blonsky in the last episode.

orestes
02-07-2014, 01:45 PM
Let's just hope things don't get weird between Vision and the Scarlet Witch. ;)

gorast
02-07-2014, 06:20 PM
If the Clairvoyant turns out to be The Leader I would be ecstatic, because that brings Incredible Hulk deeper into the MCU and gives the show a much stronger tie to the films - win-win!

Is Tim Blake Nelson a feasible TV actor, though?

AgentofChaos
02-16-2014, 10:00 AM
Did anybody watch All Hail The King?

I won't go into spoilers exactly but let's just say it tried very hard to appease those upset at IM3. Being one of those people, I'd say it worked to a degree. It was a nice enough gesture, but ultimately it didn't change all that much in terms of the MCU that will likely be explored in the next 3-5 years. I don't know. Even the thought of trying to fix said mistake in IM4 (or 5?) seems a bit redundant now. At least there are some clear cut routes they could go down with some decent potential as far as I can see, if they ever bother to get that far.

It was a very fun short though, possibly my favorite one to date. Kingsley is aces. Oh, and stay after the credits for an even better cameo!

ziltoid
02-16-2014, 10:50 AM
This is all I can find, unfortunately it keeps cutting out every 5 seconds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi1U250FHyk

Edit: I guess they uploaded it like that so it wouldn't get picked up by the software they use to scan for copyright material.

gorast
02-16-2014, 10:56 AM
I think All Hail the King did what it wanted to without bending over backwards to appease people who were mad at IM3's twist - the real Mandarin always had the potential to exist, and I'm pretty sure IM3 directly referenced that. The short was just much more explicit about it.

Even though Drew Pearce said this could be a doorway to IM4 or 5, I sure hope it isn't, because I don't want shitty racist caricature Mandarin to be a thing in IM4 unless he gets brutally murdered in the opening ten minutes.

Hazekiah
02-16-2014, 11:02 AM
I closed out excess tabs, turned off the captions, disabled annotations, and switched to the lowest-res setting and it was still dropping out or w/e.

I'm assuming it was just ripped that way and posted as is, but I'm perplexed that no one seems to have mentioned it in the comments.

Reversed and replayed a few times and it's always dropping out in the exact same places, though...so I'm guessing that's that.

Either way, THANKS! I've been VERY curious about all these shorts so this'll do nicely for now. Anyone have a decent link to the one with Lizzy Caplan, btw?

marodi
02-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Ahhh sir Ben. What a splendid actor!

I'm going to throw this little idea of mine out there as food for thought: you're seeing this one shot as some sort of fan service thing to those who were upset after IM3 came out but what if this was the plan all along? What if Marvel had planned the outrage at the fake Mandarin for the beginning and watched with glee as the rage exploded all over the Internet? Remember: the MCU has been in development for years.

I think a lot of people have been Loki'ed.

gorast
02-16-2014, 12:58 PM
That would be an extraordinarily shitty thing for them to do - intentionally piss off their fanbase? Why?

It's one thing to reinvent a character and make them topical - that's fine, and I thought it was a great move. But solely to troll people? No.

marodi
02-16-2014, 03:11 PM
I most definitely explained myself poorly in my last post so here the long ass theory I have.

The Mandarin has a mystical side to him with the powers the Ten Rings give him. As of now, the MCU has yet to introduce this aspect in its story lines. Sure there's Loki but until The Dark World, we barely saw him do any actual magic and he's an alien who may or may not be a god, depending on whom you ask. Everything Earth related has been science and technology based. For Iron Man 3, the powers that be at Marvel knew the fan base was expecting the Mandarin but (and this is my theory, based only on my faulty brain) it would suit the MCU better to introduce AIM, another villain that can be used in other movies. Also, the plan is (and this is somewhat official) to introduce magic and mystic in the form of Dr Strange in Phase 3.

So what I think happened is this: they brought back the Ten Rings from Iron Man 1 and the Mandarin but they made it into this plot twist to move AIM at the front of the bad guys line. But they always knew there was a real Mandarin down the line, a Mandarin most likely closer to its comic book self that they can introduce in let's say Phase 4 (or a possible Iron Man reboot once RDJ's out). They knew the plot twist would upset some of the fan base (but whatever they do, there's always someone upset: Cap's not big enough; Thor doesn't wear his helmet; where's *insert character's name here*) and I do say some of the fan base because there are those of us who really like the plot twist (and Trevor is awesome). So when the uproar started, they must have been smiling to themselves thinking "oh ye of little faith".

Bottom line: I don't believe All Hail The King is fan service, I think it was planned that way all along. Also: I have too much time on my hands.

orestes
02-16-2014, 10:30 PM
If the Clairvoyant turns out to be The Leader I would be ecstatic, because that brings Incredible Hulk deeper into the MCU and gives the show a much stronger tie to the films - win-win!

Is Tim Blake Nelson a feasible TV actor, though?

I've heard speculation that the Clairvoyant is actually Loki and . . . ahahahaha, I'm sorry, I can't stop laughing.

gorast
02-17-2014, 12:12 AM
That speculation isn't serious, is it? Because I might actually throw something. Aside from that being the dumbest thing I've ever heard, having Loki in absolutely anything before Thor 3 will just make me hate him that much more. I blame Tumblr for that, though, with its disgusting tendency to over-fetishize every single thing ever made.

orestes
02-17-2014, 06:10 AM
Nah, I think it's just wish fulfillment. I mean, the speculation continued that Skye was his daughter. *smfh*

Conan The Barbarian
02-17-2014, 06:25 AM
That speculation isn't serious, is it? Because I might actually throw something. Aside from that being the dumbest thing I've ever heard, having Loki in absolutely anything before Thor 3 will just make me hate him that much more. I blame Tumblr for that, though, with its disgusting tendency to over-fetishize every single thing ever made.

You have described that website accurately. That site has turned me off from shows that I probably would had liked. ( sherlock, Dr who, Hannibal.)

Anyways, they should have had mandarin be the iron man 2 villain instead of whiplash.

Shame on marvel really. How dare you tease the mandarin like that to people.

AgentofChaos
02-17-2014, 07:36 AM
Marodi; No. Just no. If they had really planned things that well, they would have stingered showing the real Mandarin or alluded to him at the end of that film, or post credits. Instead of that useless Banner/Stark scene they just tacked on that really did not do anything to move along the story whatsoever because they hadn't gotten that far in their phase 2/3 planning and had nothing else to say i.e the vague statement of "Tony Stark will return". You are giving them far, far too much credit. They were smiling alright, at IM3's BO returns, and I'm sure they had some slight discussion about where they would take the IM franchise in the future, and the idea of having a real Mandarin as a future villan was floated at some point of course, but it is clear to me that nothing was drawn up to the point of them being able to say "this was all part of the plan". I do agree with you that they did intend to further introduce AIM as this global entity, for future henchmen purposes, as AoS baddie fodder, etc. But that's about it. Good try though. I wish I could agree with you.

AgentofChaos
02-18-2014, 10:04 AM
As much as GotG looks like it could be something incredible if done the right way, and as pumped as I am to see the full trailer tonight, I'm much more focused on Cap right now. The latest trailer looks like it's going to put Iron Man 3 to shame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SlILk2WMTI

imail724
02-25-2014, 11:22 AM
Just watched the unrated/extended version of The Wolverine (saw the original version in theaters). Was glad to see Logan put that cigar in his mouth and light it with the explosion from the snow blower.

ziltoid
03-19-2014, 10:03 PM
I gladly present to you the first 11 minutes (http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/videos/captain-america-2-winter-soldier-preview/) of Cap 2: Winter Soldier.

theburningreptile
03-24-2014, 08:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6acRHWnfZAE

In my list of top anticipated movies of the year. I've grown up with The X-men and this just looks awesome to me. I cannot wait for Apocalypse either. Hnnnng.

orestes
03-24-2014, 09:38 AM
The new poster looks like shite.

Broadbent
04-01-2014, 10:56 PM
Anybody who stuck it out with Agents of Shield got rewarded tonight. Looks like it might intertwine with the new Cap movie. Which I'm pretty pumped for this weekend.

thelastdisciple
04-01-2014, 11:59 PM
Yeah i think it's safe to say the remaining episodes for Agents of Shield are going to be preeeeetty good.

marodi
04-02-2014, 12:24 AM
In Whedon we trusted and boy are we glad we did! Was it awesome or what?

So Sitwell has a boat to catch, eh?

And how about that Bill Paxton? I want MORE Bill Paxton, damn it. This is going to be one hell of a ride!

edit: it does tie in with The Winter Soldier very very neatly.

littlemonkey613
04-02-2014, 06:12 AM
orestes nice icon, have u been reading the new Young Avengers?

orestes
04-02-2014, 09:46 AM
Oh yes! I've read all the issues of Gillen & McKelvie's run on YA and just finished reading issues surrounding the original team.

"Come with me if you want to be awesome!"

richardp
04-07-2014, 11:00 PM
This is going to sound like an extremely stupid request to probably 99% of you guys, but to any of you that have all of the Mavel Cinematic flicks on Blu-Ray, if you've got the slip-covers for them and are one of those people who hates slip covers, please feel free to shoot my obsessive nerd self a DM, as I've got a couple missing the covers and my OCD tendencies are killing me. I'd be willing to throw some bucks your way.

Carry on now everyone!

gorast
04-08-2014, 10:41 PM
So, Agents of SHIELD.

Spoiler tags, I guess, because this episode basically assumes you've seen Winter Soldier and says "fuck you" if you haven't. Goddamnit Garrett, how could you do this to us? You HYDRA-hailing bastard.

I loved that they tugged us in so many different directions with the whole "who's HYDRA and who isn't???" deal throughout the episode. But, they really need to double down on Ward being a traitor. The way he's portrayed in the preview for next week, though, doesn't give me much hope. Reeks of redemption. That's bullshit - I want him to be a stone cold motherfucker, and then for Skye to kill him in the season finale.

Broadbent
04-09-2014, 06:22 AM
Soooo I haven't seen Captain America yet... Should I watch this weeks episode or agents of shield or should I see see Captain America first?

orestes
04-09-2014, 06:34 AM
No, you have to see The Winter Soldier first.

Broadbent
04-09-2014, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the spoiler heads up.

marodi
04-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Epic fail?

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd119/marodi511/1604391_852439281439312_4171999607251204371_n_zps8 f33d151.jpg

AgentofChaos
04-09-2014, 09:07 PM
http://assets2.ignimgs.com/2014/04/08/hail-hydra2jpg-e32522.jpg

orestes
04-11-2014, 06:26 AM
http://37.media.tumblr.com/abf640deba56c9a2cd94dea8cec404e2/tumblr_n3qqw0jjgT1qf6fy7o1_400.jpg

AgentofChaos
04-17-2014, 08:21 AM
Patton Oswalt on this last ep of Agents of Shield was a fuckin boss. Loved his character!

thelastdisciple
04-23-2014, 03:42 PM
I can't stand Patton Oswalt so I'm kinda glad i don't have to see him anymore lol

AgentofChaos
04-23-2014, 11:11 PM
Not liking Patton should be a criminal offense.

thelastdisciple
04-23-2014, 11:30 PM
Nice catch.

Although i suppose you might want to edit that last bit of yours as well.. AgentofChaos since someone might be able to deduce something by how focused you are on loving a character in the past tense.

Broadbent
04-25-2014, 02:49 PM
So I saw Captain America 2 last night(then immediately caught up on 3 weeks of agents of shield) and I was pretty disappointed with it(see rant in Cap2 thread). I would rank it pretty low amount the other MCU flicks, but it gave me the idea to rank them all and figured you guys would have fun doing this too so lets hear em!

1. The Avengers
2. Iron Man
3. Captain America
4. Iron Man 3
5. Thor
6. Hulk
7. Iron Man 2
8. Thor 2
9. Captain America 2

AgentofChaos
04-25-2014, 04:22 PM
1. The Avengers
2. Captain America
3. Iron Man
4. Winter Soldier
5. The Dark World
6. Incredible Hulk
7. Thor
8. Iron Man 2

9. Iron Man 3

marodi
04-25-2014, 07:28 PM
1. The Avengers
2. Iron Man
3. Winter Solider
4. Thor, The Incredible Hulk, The Dark World, Iron Man 3, The First Avenger,
5. Iron Man 2

I do what I want!

implanted_microchip
04-25-2014, 07:53 PM
My list with minor explanations here and there:

1. Winter Soldier: for me it isn't just the hype, either, it's that when I was younger Captain America was my favorite superhero for a period of time, and finally seeing him done right, and seeing him appreciated as a character is really something else; plus I just found it to be a genuinely great and satisfying movie. It's cool to see a solo film in the MCU have a (presumably) broad impact on the franchise at large, as this kind of stuff happens plenty in comics. The only large criticisms I've heard are of cars getting product placement, something I barely noticed and couldn't care less about, and that there's no explanation for the other Avengers being present, to which I say: They establish the Avengers were founded to distract the heroes from Hydra, as revealed in the post-credits scene, so to assume they had the other Avengers away and doing something else isn't a broad leap; Thor leaves Earth all the time and doesn't care much anyway; Iron Man had his own shit to deal with if you assume this is at the same time as Iron Man 3 and even then Stark is far from focused on any friends. Not to mention this is something that happens in literally every solo comic series across Marvel and DC, so if we're liking the MCU for feeling like comics then let's not bitch about things that are inherent elements of them. The brief nods to Thor and Iron Man were good enough for me.

2. The Avengers: The first of its kind, a turning point for superhero films, bright and shiny and lovable and something I never thought would ever be a thing. I remember when Marvel first announced their plan for Phase 1 way way back, and I thought it wouldn't ever pan out. I loved being proven wrong. Plus, as someone who got origin story fatigue from all of the films leading into it, seeing all of these characters in one place without forced backstory was great. It was like watching Joss Whedon play with action figures for a few hours, and that's all I really wanted.

3. Iron Man

4. Iron Man 3: I thought it was a great, serious take on Tony Stark as a character, and couldn't care less about them changing things; considering they take a lot from the Ultimate Universe, what they changed actually made it into if anything a blend between Earth 616 and Ultimate universe versions of that character. Also as a fan of Shane Black and Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, this was almost like a sequel to that in a sense. As a whole I found it fun, entertaining and an interesting take on Iron Man, while actually showing repercussions of things from The Avengers taking a toll on Tony; while it isn't the first superhero movie to show psychological impacts of being a superhero, it's the first of the Marvel films to really hone in on it.

5. The Incredible Hulk: I just found it fun, enjoyable and so much better than the 2004 Hulk that I think I over-looked the flaws so many found in it; haven't seen it in years now, so I might just be remembering it as better than it was.

6. The First Avenger: Not bad not great. Don't really know what to say. I enjoyed it as a Cap. in WWII story, but it's definitely not what I was interested in seeing. It came out at the point that I was getting truly sick of the origin stories, and Hugo Weaving felt really underutilized.

7. Thor 2

8. Thor: I'd tie it with Thor 2 almost; what can I say, I really don't find Thor in the films all too compelling and Loki is basically becoming fan-bait.

9. Iron Man 2

marodi
04-29-2014, 10:11 PM
Holy shit Agents of Shield!

Coulson was behind the T.A.H.I.T.I project? I never saw that one coming. Never, ever. That means that Coulson was the head of a project that was doing human experiments. Sweet, unassuming, adorable, Super Nanny fan Coulson? Bloody hell. I think I love him even more! Also I so wanted Skye to let that s.o.b Ward die! And Fitz needs to stop freaking out. Get a grip. man!

gorast
04-29-2014, 10:17 PM
I feel like this won't be very popular, but I am so fucking sick of Fitz's whiny bullshit and his complete inability to grow a god damn pair. All he does is get pointlessly angry, be a dick to Triplett because Triplett's better than him, and then pussyfoot around Simmons every chance he gets. I hope Ward puts a bullet through his stupid face. Several bullets.

Other than that, this show has been great. This episode in particular had huge revelations that were just astounding. And Cobie Smulders, of course. Love her.

orestes
04-30-2014, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I can't stand Fitz.

So who was the original test subject of T.A.H.I.T.I.? A mortally wounded Avenger? Hmmm.

orestes
05-08-2014, 09:47 PM
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. renewed for a second season.

Agent Carter is a go!!!! Don't fuck this up!

marodi
05-12-2014, 10:58 AM
Season finale of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is tomorrow night and Clark Gregg keeps dropping weird "clues" about it:

So happy...but by Odin, u best listen to the Son of Coul: You miss the season finale of #AgentsofSHIELD on Tues, u will be verrry sorry.

Tmrw night #AgentsofSHIELD S1 finale 8/7c. A visit from 2 old friends & maybe a ghost.Hey,Hydra-#HailThis Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Hum...

orestes
05-12-2014, 12:35 PM
Oh, come on, it won't be Thor.

marodi
05-12-2014, 01:32 PM
You never know! :p

It's the ghost part that I find most intriguing.

gorast
05-12-2014, 03:26 PM
The ghost is most likely to be Nick Fury, seeing as he's been in the previews. (spoiler tagging just in case someone managed to miss that)

I don't think Clark Gregg is in any position to hype this show, considering that, though it has gotten much, much better, it's not something a huge amount of people are ever going to be excited about, given the atrocious quality of the first half.

marodi
05-12-2014, 03:57 PM
Clark Gregg is the show. A big part of the show's problem is the time it took to like and/or care for the other characters.

As for his tweet: Since it's already known that Fury's in the finally, I'm counting him as one of the 2 friends. The ghost may be Graviton since apparently no one knows that Hill survived being pulled inside the gravitonium. More outlandish theories are that it's the Winter Soldier (he was called a ghost in the CA:WS movie) and the least likely one (but the most fun) is that it's Loki since he's "dead".

orestes
05-12-2014, 05:42 PM
Hahahahaha no. :/

AgentofChaos
05-12-2014, 08:36 PM
Yeah I figure Fury and Hill are 2 of the three. Other options as I see it could Selvig, Falcon, or possibly Widow or Hawkeye. We haven't heard much from Hawk since Avengers. Fury being the ghost, and two old friends being the non super hero Avengers?

Also if Hill is in it, they might reference her going to Stark. Which could include anyone from Rhodey to Pepper or Happy or even Stark or Banner although I think its probably safe to say we could rule out anyone on that scale (although it would be no different that filming a stinger on set and just saving it to use on the show for a brief minute near the end).

They might also try to cross reference Agent Carter to pump that show, include a flashback scene etc which could feature a slew of people from Cap 1 that could be on that show including Carter, Chester Phillips, young Howard Stark, some of the howling commandos.

There are a ton of options. My personal hope is that reveal that Red Skull is back and was behind Pearce's actions in Winter Soldier and they flesh out Hydra some more, especially in connection to what role they may play in AoU.

october_midnight
05-13-2014, 10:47 AM
Channing Tatum is the new Gambit. (http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/05/13/channing-tatum-confirmed-as-gambit)

marodi
05-13-2014, 11:00 AM
Channing Tatum as Gambit: oh fuck no. No no no no no. NO. Fuck that shit.

Haweye in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. finale? Please please please please please please please please please yes.

Anyway, this review of the finale calls it a game changer that affects all of the MCU franchises. (http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2014/05/12/review-the-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-season-finale-plants-marvels-flag-on-the-small-screen/)

littlemonkey613
05-13-2014, 04:16 PM
Gambit's not for the MCU though right?

Still sucks though... I have a few friends who are about to off themselves.

marodi
05-13-2014, 05:07 PM
Well no, the X-Men are not MCU but they are Marvel that don't belong to Marvel so...

I'm still in total denial about this. That guy can't act. And he has no neck although it's not related to the fact that he can't act. They should have brought Taylor Kitsch back and give him a proper speech/accent instructor.

AgentofChaos
05-13-2014, 05:58 PM
I don't even hate Channing Tatum he's not a bad actor, and while physically he's not the right look or build, I would maybe have been ok with it if Taylor Kitsch hadn't already played the role. It didn't exactly work the first time you cast a young whitebread piece of cake in the role, so why are you going down the same path again? Doesn't make sense to me.

I want to give the benefit out of the doubt here but I don't see him capable of knocking it out of the park hard enough to justify a whole film about the character. As a team member on X-Force or something MAYBE (even though that wouldn't exactly make sense), but a Gambit solo movie starring Channing Tatum? Takes real balls from some hollywood dummies to imagine that somehow it will be pulled off well enough to be received properly. And not Heath Ledger as joker kind of balls although like I said at least Tatum has some acting chops so its not like they gave it to a completely talentless meathead.

Just give it the role to Josh Holloway already and be done with it (and have the character be successful first in an ensemble before justifying a solo flick). He's a bit older than you probably want but him scumming it up in the swamps of new orleans with a true detective vibe would definitely be a perfect fit in my eyes.

gorast
05-13-2014, 08:47 PM
In regards to SHIELD:

Well, that sucked. That's literally all I have to say.

marodi
05-13-2014, 10:09 PM
I have to respectfully disagree. It did not live up to the hype maybe but it did not suck. We did get our two old friends and our ghost.

We just saw the resurrection of SHIELD under the guise of Director Coulson who, in the eyes (eye?) of Nick Fury is an Avenger which is the "why" he was brought back to life. Deathlok is out there on his own, Quinn left with his gravitonium which is more than that; Skye's father is creepy and Coulson has learn a new language. Fitz is in a coma, of which he'll hopefully wake up less whiny. And how many Koenigs are there? We got answers to questions, we got some well deserved ass kicking, we got a gory scene I can't believe made it pass the censors. And there's enough left open to make for a potentially awesome season two.

And this time, Couslon knows what it does!

orestes
05-13-2014, 11:37 PM
The episode was worth it alone to watch Melinda kick the ever-loving shit out of Ward. I had a good laugh over Garrett's last scene.

gorast
05-13-2014, 11:55 PM
Maybe it was just the feel of it that I wasn't fond of. And the lack of any resolution for Skye whatsoever - they kept talking about "what she is" and the "monsters in her," but they wouldn't fucking tell US. Infuriating.

Garrett's last scene had a real Men in Black feel to it that I didn't like all that much, either. Aside from that, all of his scenes were great.

And, plus, a ton more Fury than I expected. Like, wow, he was in over half the episode. I wonder who they sacrificed to get that to happen.

I think, really, that I was just disappointed with the lack of resolution to some of the season's plot threads and I was more annoyed about it immediately afterward than I am now. Oh well.

littlemonkey613
05-14-2014, 10:51 PM
Well no, the X-Men are not MCU but they are Marvel that don't belong to Marvel so...

Is it possible the MCU could do its own version of the character though? I don't quite get how the property shit allows them to do Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. Is there hope?

AgentofChaos
05-15-2014, 12:12 AM
^ No. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were unique because they are mutants, started in the x-books, but for the majority of their careers were Avengers. So both studios had rights to them. But there aren't very many, if any, other characters, who would cross those boundaries.

gorast
05-15-2014, 02:26 AM
It's all about where characters are seen most prominently. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are primarily known as Avengers moreso than being associated with the X-Men, so they can be part of both franchises. Characters like Wolverine and Spider-Man, however, are unmistakably their own franchises, so there will never be any degree of "sharing" between Marvel Studios and Fox/Sony for the forseeable future with them.

I believe the Kingpin falls under the same/a similar rule, because, though he began as a Spider-Man villain, he has become primarily identified with Daredevil, which is why Marvel Studios will likely be able to use him in the Netflix series.

marodi
05-15-2014, 07:59 AM
The deal with Fox regarding Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch is that Marvel Studio can use them for Age of Ultron as long as they don't call them "mutants" because the term "mutants" (as in X-Men mutants) belongs to Fox. That's why, in The Winter Soldier first credit scene, Baron von Strucker calls them "miracles" and it is imply that they were the result of experimentation with Loki's staff.

Here a very cute graphic that explains who owns what:

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/comicsalliance.com/files/2014/02/tumblr_n0sbtcJKyr1qa0uujo1_1280.png

marodi
05-20-2014, 11:48 AM
Hugh Jackman wants Wolverine to join the Avengers (http://variety.com/2014/film/news/wolverine-in-the-avengers-1201186428/)

Should he get his wish, the nergasm would kill me.

gorast
05-20-2014, 12:10 PM
The problem with Spider-Man or Wolverine joining the Avengers, beyond the obvious interference from Sony/Fox, is that everyone involved would have to work extra hard to make sure that the movie doesn't become the Spider-Man/Wolverine Show. Those two are characters that we expect to see solo, even if Wolverine ostensibly appears in X-Men movies (the original trilogy is The Wolverine Show all the way through). There's none of the cross-pollination we've seen with the other Avengers, and Spider-Man and Wolverine have had too many movies each at this point. It just wouldn't work.

Fixer808
05-22-2014, 09:39 PM
Just finished a re-watch of The Avengers. Kinda want a shawarma now.

thevoid99
05-22-2014, 11:02 PM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t40/Flee-Marquette/shawarma-hulk.jpg

liquidcalm
05-23-2014, 04:15 PM
Edgar Wright has left Ant Man =(
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/edgar-wright-exits-marvels-ant-man-as-director-1201190458/

Mr. Blaileen
05-23-2014, 04:24 PM
So...regarding the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Finale...

When Fury says "I'll be everywhere" and then lifts up his eye patch, does that mean he's got one of those eye-device things in his head?

I just binge watched the whole season over the past few days. Having seen The Winter Soldier and the back half of the season, I can see why the first half was sort of vanilla. I'm glad I was patient! I can't wait for season 2.

thevoid99
05-23-2014, 04:28 PM
Edgar Wright has left Ant Man =(
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/edgar-wright-exits-marvels-ant-man-as-director-1201190458/

BOO!!!! Fucking studio executives.

gorast
05-23-2014, 06:27 PM
I wonder what the issues were.

AgentofChaos
05-23-2014, 06:43 PM
I'm surely in the minority but I'm happy, or at least indifferent that Wright's left. I had a feeling it was going to be Shane Black all over again. Talented and fun director who was going to go overboard, because that's what he does, and that's what makes him great, but not the right fit for this kind of film. I suppose it's too much to hope for that the creative differences were Marvel wanting to make it more connected, and more of a proper follow up to AoU? Even still, I can't see the project dropping in quality as a result of this. Maybe I'm wrong and I'll be begging for Wright's Ant-Man when all is said and done, but I don't see anything to get torn up about at this point.

gorast
05-23-2014, 09:09 PM
The release date being pushed up makes me think that his vision of the film didn't quite line up with what Marvel wanted to tell in the wake of Avengers 2.

I think a lot of the disappointment comes in the fact that Wright had been working on this project in some form for years and years, before even Iron Man was out. So, he probably had a very specific view of the film going in, and then as the MCU grew around it, maybe he found that he didn't want to work in the constraints of the universe.

We'll probably never know, and that's fine. So long as they get a good, competent replacement, it doesn't matter all that much.