PDA

View Full Version : [Music] Things Self Destruct: The Complete 'Further Down The Spiral'

TheLazenby
06-29-2013, 12:13 AM
Possibly because it was the first I ever owned, "Further Down The Spiral" has always been my favorite NIN album. I even find these versions greatly superior to the "Downward Spiral" originals. But, as you all know, this album was released in a strange fashion - the US and UK versions are *drastically* different. To remedy this, I decided some years back to make one giant, cohesive version combining both editions - plus the Japanese bonus track - into a logical track order. The total, I believe, is far more enjoyable than the two separate parts. The result, which I retitled "Things Self Destruct," is now my preferred version of the album without a doubt. But one dilemma was the artwork; I always wanted it to have legit-looking covers that would sit well alongside the rest of the "Spiral" era. Older, lazier versions of the cover I made just ripped off pictures of rusty metal I found on Google. That wasn't good enough for me; I mean, I am a graphic designer, after all. So for the most current version, I decided to take my own photographs. Luckily, the cyberschool I work for is in a former warehouse with a few rather ugly, disused sections that were left to rot over the past century or so - and in keeping with NIN's cover motif of rust and decay, these were perfect for photographing. Take a look: Front: http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4613/4hk8.jpg Back: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/9389_10151661531377107_1231688621_n.jpg Tray: https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1005068_10151662587207107_1230958776_n.jpg You can download the finalized, hi-res versions here: http://www10.zippyshare.com/v/68316338/file.html As for the track line-up.... DISC ONE 01) Piggy (Nothing Can Stop Me Now) 02) The Art Of Self Destruction, Part One 03) Self Destruction, Part Two 04) Self Destruction, Part Three - I trimmed the end of Part Two so that after the hard final thud, this still manages to keep the beat when it begins. 05) Heresy (Version) 06) The Downward Spiral (The Bottom) 07) Hurt (Quiet) 08) Eraser (Denial; Realization) Bonus Track 09) The Downward Spiral (A Gilded Sickness) - A rejected FTDS track, from the "Uncoiled" boot. DISC TWO 01) At The Heart Of It All 02) Ruiner (Version) 03) Eraser (Polite) 04) Self Destruction, Final 05) Reptilian - For accuracy, I actually did take this from the Japanese FTDS; unlike the 'Pigs' single version which starts from a dead silence, the fade in on this copy starts rather abruptly. 06) The Beauty Of Being Numb 07) Erased, Over, Out 08) Hurt (Live) - From the promo single, which fades out rather than stopping suddenly. Bonus Track 09) Eraser (Reduction) - A rejected FTDS track, from the "Uncoiled" boot.

MAD
07-01-2013, 03:12 AM
You know, this could easily land under the "Fan Made Singles" thing we have going on. Nice work.

[parasite]
07-01-2013, 04:10 AM
I really like the idea of this, I'm gonna do the same and see how it listens, I too much prefer ruiner [version] & heresy [version] to the tDS versions,

little by little we went insane

SM Rollinger
07-01-2013, 05:47 AM
I love doing things like this myself! Nice photogs too, by the way.

Miss.Selfdestruct
07-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Giving this a try. What won me over is the lack of Closer :P

eversonpoe
07-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Giving this a try. What won me over is the lack of Closer :P

why would closer be on it? it's not on any versions of further down the spiral...

TheLazenby
07-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Yep - I've always been kind of glad that "Closer" and its various incarnations were kept in their own separate EP and nowhere to be found on this album.

TheLazenby
07-05-2013, 12:56 PM
I should give credit where it's due...

Years ago, I saw the cover for the ETS fan single "Something Blue," and was impressed how the creator made gorgeous artwork by photographing rubble in his basement. So when I made this, I took the same idea of 'use what's around you' - even avoiding photographing a drain because that would've been TOO close to "Something Blue."

If anyone has that cover, please post, I'd love to see it again!

misterhabs
09-09-2014, 06:49 PM
Any chance of a re-up on this. I'd love a copy.

xolotl
04-28-2022, 05:03 PM
Necropost!

Anyone still have these covers? I never did assemble myself a "combined" FDTS release, and what with the new tour and all I've been digging back into some NIN listening, and thought perhaps now is the time. Not asking for the audio, of course -- just the covers. Cheers!