PDA

View Full Version : Your hopes for "Hesitation Marks"?

kolopsia
06-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Personally, I love everything NIN has done but I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefere their more "rock" oriented sound of album With Teeth and The Slip (despite the hate, I LOVE The Slip). With that said, I'm hoping that this album has a good mix of all if their previous sounds, I thought the The Fragile was such a great mix of everything and for that reason it's probably my favorite NIN record. What are your hopes for the album?

pukkelpop
06-12-2013, 03:24 PM
i hope he surprises me, again.

sheepdean
06-12-2013, 03:39 PM
I hope he has a damn good reason for the name other than shock value.

And, you know, hope it sounds good as always. But I hope it's not a TDS, TF, YZ, TS or anything part 2.

Scarlet Siren
06-12-2013, 03:43 PM
I hope we're in for something that sounds dark, gritty and GNARLY! I'm switching between Broken and TDS at the moment so maybe that has an influence on my 'hopes' at this point in time.

Ultimately, I'm just happy we're getting new music and a tour especially!

kolopsia
06-12-2013, 03:55 PM
do you guys think they'll play anything from the slip on this tour? i'm crossing my fingers for at least ONE song because i love that album.

Trains
06-12-2013, 04:00 PM
I'll be happy with anything as long as it's sincere and it comes from an honest place, which I think is true of just about all of Trent's career.

KarenLeslie
06-12-2013, 04:19 PM
do you guys think they'll play anything from the slip on this tour? i'm crossing my fingers for at least ONE song because i love that album.

I can't see any reason why they wouldn't. I would bet they'll play Discipline at least.

My main hope is that the lyrics are more interesting and fresh than they are for Come Back Haunted; I feel confident in saying I'll enjoy the music itself, because I always do, but the lyrics could go either way. Also, I'm curious whether or not this album will reflect some of the changes in Trent's life in a major way, like getting married and fatherhood. In the past I wouldn't have thought that NIN would be the right vehicle for exploring those feelings, but this talk of "reimagining what Nine Inch Nails can be" makes me think it's possible. If he went that route, it would make this album substantially different from everything that's come before it, and that's intriguing.

carpenoctem
06-12-2013, 04:26 PM
I hope it's different. I love musicians who can find ways around their own style without losing their identity in the process. (ex. Animal Collective never do the same thing and yet it always sounds like them.) A new avenue in the same district, if you will. I was disappointed in The Slip mostly because it felt like a very talented NIN cover band. Trent played every trick in his book like a career retrospective, but the songs weren't memorable so it came off as an album of B-sides - something nice to listen to every now and then as a superfan, but not to be considered equal to the main event per se.

I want to have the same reaction to the new music that I had when I heard My Violent Heart for the first time. Which was, "Hmm, this is... eh... OH. OH LORD JESUS THIS BREAKDOWN."

sheepdean
06-12-2013, 04:48 PM
1M, Echoplex and Discipline will return for sure imo, they're very good live tracks. I hope for LITS/CR in the UK though.

fishtifer
06-12-2013, 11:02 PM
As long as the album doesn't have any more lyrics about being on "your hands and your knees" I'm sure it will be great.

imail724
06-12-2013, 11:12 PM
As long as the album doesn't have any more lyrics about being on "your hands and your knees" I'm sure it will be great.
Don't get your hopes up

BRoswell
06-12-2013, 11:49 PM
I hope it's an album by Nine Inch Nails.

Well, would you look at that!

thevoid99
06-13-2013, 12:04 AM
I just hope to be rocked (ala Broken), entranced (ala The Downward Spiral & The Fragile), and have some grooves (Year Zero), some pop (Pretty Hate Machine, The Slip, & With Teeth), and also be weird (Ghosts I-IV & The Fragile).

I just want it to be really good.

Leviathant
06-13-2013, 12:21 AM
I hope it sucks so I can finally shut this board down without protest.

Just kidding. Normally when Trent has a new album coming out, he says it's weird and that it'll piss people off. His announcement for this album was that it's "fucking great" and that's pretty interesting.

perceptionnexus
06-13-2013, 02:08 AM
I would like to see more than anything a return to song structures and arrangements that aren't so linear and straightforward (With Teeth/The Slip), rather the kind that sort of go through different movements musically. Best three perfect examples I can think of off hand are Ruiner, The Perfect Drug and 34 Ghosts IV. Those three songs I think are most brilliant in they each have have verses, choruses, bridges, etc. that vary quite differently within each song, but still keep a consistent mood throughout. Like in TPD, how it goes from the verse/chorus parts to psycho d'n'b programming and then straight to a slow-ass depressing coda.

As far as sound goes, I'm not too particular, but I would like to hear more of the complex, abrasive drum programming again. You know, the shit no human can play.

JessicaSarahS
06-13-2013, 03:04 AM
I want it to be a blend of everything. No pressure. ;)

BenAkenobi
06-13-2013, 03:04 AM
i hope it'll be released in my country simultaneously with the world, that's all

jmtd
06-13-2013, 05:39 AM
I want to finally hear "I Like Dudes" in 7.1. I hope the 3 remixes on the deluxe edition are rescued from the "Strobe Light" sessions.

theimage13
06-13-2013, 06:17 AM
I hope it'll convince me to spend $100 plus travel expenses to go see the fall tour.

BrokenSpiral
06-13-2013, 06:25 AM
Don't get your hopes up

Yeah, your hopes should be on their hands and knees.

allegro
06-13-2013, 06:32 AM
My hope is leaving.

simonn
06-13-2013, 07:01 AM
In a word - variety. Some rocky stuff - with some crazy ass Belew noodling, and I'm going to say it - proper guitar solos, cos Trent seems to only really play chords unless it's slower stuff (I await the backlash...). Also, double bass drums at some point'd be nice!

Some more poignant stuff - LITS is still one of my favourite ever songs of Trent's - he does this sort of song so well. And stuff with long instrumental breaks but that have vocals - Even Deeper springs to mind. Also, I quite like the recurring theme element of TF/TDS - Into the void/La Mer, Closer/TDS, so maybe something along those lines, as long as it's reasonably subtle.

No dubstep.

Henrie_Schnee
06-13-2013, 08:02 AM
Simple: A straight, meaningful and comprehendable first person narrative concept-record. Virtually TDS 2.0. Doesn't have to connect to anything, doesn't have to follow any previous "storyline"... all I want is a more mature Reznor doing that kind of framework again. Because, to me, he's always best when he forces himself to make music that evocates imagery, tapestry, texture... and by making another "musical movie" like TDS, he'd be forced to do exactly that... but with all the skills and gimmicks he learned over the last decade.

High hopes :-D

ensanchecedor
06-13-2013, 08:48 AM
After listening to CBH, I'm currently expecting an album sort of hybrid between with teeth and year zero.

About The Slip, I think it's not a bad record, but if we're talking about songs to be played live, if that depended on me they can go to hell except for one million, letting go and lights in the sky. the rest of the tunes are probably weaker than those on hesitation marks.

konstantin
06-13-2013, 10:26 AM
hope it doesn't blow too hard

mfte
06-13-2013, 10:46 AM
i hope he surprises me, again.

yup yup yup

IAmConsciousness
06-13-2013, 02:53 PM

You know he is referring to how society nowadays is SLAVED to the system we call " life", and people are dumbed down to the point were they can't feel the difference between being a free spiritual individual and being a slave. That's what 99% of NIN's songs are about. The other 1% is Trent being heartbroken by the ladies...

hobochic
06-13-2013, 03:30 PM
I want it to sound thick, massive and push air through the crumbling and infernal feedback walls of What The Fuck is This Shit!?

No biggie.

pukkelpop
06-13-2013, 03:43 PM
the worst things about making masterpieces is that it keeps "haunting" you.

binaryhermit
06-13-2013, 03:50 PM
I hope it's worth the $12 I paid for the digital download version.

Scarlet Siren
06-13-2013, 03:53 PM
I hope Trent goes easy on the tamborines! Geez!

pigpen
06-13-2013, 04:07 PM
I hope it's 17 live recordings of ripe(with decay), and then Came Back Haunted.

I don't care what it sounds like, I just hope it's a progression rather than a clear indication that Nine Inch Nails sucks now...

also, I'd like to see a return to vocal experimentation similar to what was done in earlier recordings, or what they did with the vocals on Welcome Oblivion.

simonn
06-13-2013, 05:13 PM
I hope Trent goes easy on the tamborines! Geez!

Nope. More tambourine for me! Even a tambourine solo maybe.

Dimitri.
06-13-2013, 05:27 PM
I hope it's something I can relate to.
I hope it's full of beauty and violence.

That's all.
I'd like to hear something layered, experimental, visceral... But whatever. Surprise me.

Highly Psychological
06-13-2013, 06:16 PM
I hope its weird and noise based. And that i dislike it first time, and it intimidates me, but then draws me in and end up loving it like all his best stuff. You forget how bizarre Broken the Downward Spiral and parts of the Fragile sounded ( Into the Void, The Wretched, Somewhat Damaged) back then on first listen, everything was done so differently. Most unusual, very weird and it intrigued you more. There was nothing else like it and its what set NIN apart. There was no clear way to interpret it because you had never heard anything like it before. It was not straightforward you could interpret it your own way like all the best art.
Last decade he did things differently perhaps he just wanted to do something different it was much more straightforward but I think what im saying is i hope its a return to something like the weird awkwardly produced experimental noise sculptures.

r_z
06-13-2013, 06:18 PM
I gotta say, I'd prefer a "mature" kind of album.

Something that shows a mellower side, while still dark and beautiful. Kinda like The Fragile 2013, sonically... but not as bloated.

Something not relying on the same old cliches, lyrically.

Something complete opposite to CBH, I guess.

Oh well. Surprise me, if you must, then.

katara
06-13-2013, 06:32 PM
The other 1% is Trent being heartbroken by the ladies...
Pretty sure that most references to women in NIN songs are actually just references to drugs.

I personally hope Hesitation Marks connects more to NIN's earlier material and is a total U-turn from all his recent work [not that I don't like it], but I think that's asking too much. I just hope the new album is good.

onthewall2983
06-13-2013, 06:43 PM
Longer songs. I'm still rather drawn to the lengthier stuff from Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and although I haven't given it a good listen I think there are a few long ones on the HTDA record too. Also, and this is just a pet theory, but with the primary opening acts on the tour, the presence of a string section and Adrian Belew also makes me think he's going a bit prog. Or at least taking the music to a more kind of ethereal, Floyd-esque place. Not on every song obviously, but I'd imagine there will be at least one or two tracks where it goes in this direction a little.

joplinpicasso
06-13-2013, 07:10 PM
^^^ I thought that the track lengths were released somewhere -- where they recanted? You make a good point about the opening acts; I do hope they are indicative of the larger sound of the album.

ryanmcfly
06-13-2013, 07:54 PM
I just want a great record.

elevenism
06-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Maybe i'm just a fanboy but maybe not.
I've loved EVERY nails album (except ghosts, which i at least LIKED) and 21 years of fan(boy)dom in, as long as it's an NIN record, i have no doubt that i'll love this one too.
My only fear was that it would be another ghosts record, and now that that fear has been assuaged, shit, bring it on!

pukkelpop
06-14-2013, 02:40 AM
^^^ I thought that the track lengths were released somewhere -- where they recanted? You make a good point about the opening acts; I do hope they are indicative of the larger sound of the album.

just look at iTunes..

Wolfkiller
06-14-2013, 04:08 AM
I hope it leaks as soon as possible.

ComradeCornhole
06-14-2013, 07:44 AM
In a perfect world? TR would step outside his comfort zone and do something really bold. For me, this conversation is part of a larger one regarding pre-WT material versus the rest. As a preemptive strike against potential misunderstanding, I thoroughly enjoy all the material of the last eight years, and a lot of it has aged well. But since WT came out, I've been trying to put my finger on exactly what feels different (what's missing?) from the holy trinity of NIN material (Broken, TDS, Fragile). I guess it's easy to see those three as a clear progression toward longer, denser and richer music. Recent material has trended toward the minimal and conventional in terms of arrangement and structure, despite having some fun experimentation with texture/timbre. As I've stated, I'm very fond of all of it, but I suppose you could count me among those who feel that Ghosts, TSN and GWDT are TR's most interesting post-Fragile work. If I have a criticism to make of later material, I'd describe it as a tendency to err on the side of caution and play within previously established boundaries, whereas the nineties seemed to be about tearing them down. For the record, I don't miss the drugs or the angst or the long wait between albums, though the coincidence of some of these facets with his "best" work may be telling in some cursory way; perhaps the paranoia of drugs that the material wouldn't be good enough, or the pressure to make it and be the best caused him to always second guess himself and keep at it until it was perfect. This being in contrast with the approach of the last few years apparently being much more casual and accepting toward whatever his first instincts were. Anyway, I'm sure the album will be solid; I'm just hoping that this time out he made himself sweat a little and stepped outside the box.

snaapz
06-14-2013, 08:50 AM
Off the top of my head... :confused:

Llive drums @ 110 tempo or less
Arpeggiator/synthesizer
Bass guitar (Clean & Dist)
10-12 bar guitar solo with slight wah
A song that references "she or her"
2 minute outros which build up and add layers every 8 bars
Xylophone
A song where TR says “nails” in the lyrics
Reference to the ocean or tide
Quotes from the Holy Bible
“Industrial” textures/sounds/effects
11/4 time signature infused with common time
Mention of seepage, decay, swelling, endless growth or persistent…
Tamb
Elektrik Piano or Organ
Mention of “pig”
The word “fucking” (adjective / not sexual)
At least one music video
And of course the world news report….

Blackbookpress1984
06-14-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm going into it with very low expectations after hearing CBH. I hate it the first time, but it's actually growing on me now. However, you know Trent didn't drop the strongest track as the single. He's holding something back, and waiting for people to react and hype it up so that when the album drops all people are going to talk about it how the single threw them off, or didn't sound like the rest of the album. Let your market do your advertising, give them something small, they flip their shit and do all the promotions for you, and then you come back and give them something else entirely.

PhoenixML
06-14-2013, 11:25 AM
If there's one thing I don't want is 3 instrumentals in the last 5 songs.

ComradeCornhole
06-14-2013, 12:25 PM
you know Trent didn't drop the strongest track as the single. He's holding something back.
My feeling is that CBH is a bit of a head fake. There's been too much talk of "reinvention" and "fucking great"-ness for that song to be the standard. I feel the same way about the title. Hesitation Marks kind of sounds like Robert Smith and Jonathan Davis got drunk together and bemoaned a jilting from a common ex-lover. I'd guess that it's probably more than a little tongue in cheek coming from a happily married TR, or means something else entirely.

uroboros
06-14-2013, 12:54 PM
The man who expects nothing is never disappointed.

Khrz
06-14-2013, 12:58 PM
The man who expects nothing is never disappointed.

Well I never expected the Spanish Inquisition, but I can't say I was too thrilled when they came knocking...

eversonpoe
06-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Well I never expected the Spanish Inquisition, but I can't say I was too thrilled when they came knocking...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyml3wqxwl1r73anpo1_250.gif

becoming
06-14-2013, 02:13 PM
I hope it doesn't sound like CBH, I like it... just not that much.

thefragile_jake
06-15-2013, 03:24 AM
...that I don't want to download it when it leaks prior to getting my pre order.

As far as leaks go...You know me, I can't help myself.

pukkelpop
06-15-2013, 03:41 AM
...that I don't want to download it when it leaks prior to getting my pre order.

As far as leaks go...You know me, I can't help myself. thats why i dont pre-order. first listens happen in wicked excitement on the laptop, and then, i 'll buy it anyway in my local shop .

ComradeCornhole
06-15-2013, 10:14 AM

As far as leaks go...You know me, I can't help myself.
Well, I've already paid for it. So I'll just take any leak as exemplary customer service.
PS- What you did. I saw. Ha Ha.

ComradeCornhole
06-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Come to think of it, with things in TR's grasp tending to pop up online anyway, perhaps it isn't entirely a fool's hope that after some critical mass of preorders is reached, a copy will simply, y'know... appear.

kolopsia
06-15-2013, 11:18 AM
I hope there are at least a few guitar driven tunes on here, I don't want everything to be synth based because I'm huge fan of the fragile, with teeth and the slip (even though the fragile was a mix of everything).

thefragile_jake
06-15-2013, 11:46 AM
In all seriousness too, I just hope I like it. I'm sure I will as the only album that Trent's produced I didn't like as much originally then to over time was Year Zero...and I can still at least appreciate that album for what it is.

I was all under the impression and the notion that the next Nine Inch Nails record was going to feel like a Ghosts record musically and stylistically but instead of instrumental jams that he was going to implement studio experimentation and instrumentation into actual song structures. Similar to what he did on the Fragile, but condensed. With Trent saying that last record that he spent as much time with was The Fragile...this kind of has me feeling that I might be a little correct but we shall see. I can see why people are comparing CBH to songs off the Slip and Trent's work over the last couple of years...but as many people have been saying, I'm thinking this could just be the appetizer.

Again...we'll just have to see!

mostlymad
06-15-2013, 01:10 PM
I remember being ready for more NIN when Broken came out, but it wasn't the sort of music I was interested in. I listened to a few songs now and then. My mom, on the other hand, thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. I don't think I have any expectations about what it might be. If I like it, I'll happily put it in heavy rotation. If not, I'll let it simmer. After all, I love Broken now. It's been a long time growing on me. I never really know how my taste will change. I bet there will be plenty on here to love, though. If not, well, there's a back catalogue to listen to.

Prettybrokenspiral
06-16-2013, 06:17 AM
I expect nothing less than a modern-day successor to TDS. No bullshit.

The album artwork is virtually the same, it has the same number of songs, and even the title of the damn thing is suicide-themed. so naturally, my hopes are high. The signs are definitely there.

Plus, it's the same time period between albums as TDS and the Fragile, and TR certainly hasn't been lost for ideas like he was from 1995-1999. If this were a bloated double album loaded with a bunch of filler instrumentals like the Fragile, I'd be having a small fit right now.

I expect this album to be nothing short of a masterpiece. Minimal -- if any -- instrumental filler tracks, a cohesive story arc amongst the tracks, and songs every bit as memorable as his best work. He says this was his most painstaking album to make; prove it.

jmtd
06-16-2013, 07:20 AM
Gotta hate those instrumental fillers. In hope it's full of non-filler instrumentals personally.

Promethean
06-16-2013, 12:14 PM
That it sounds like Kanye West at a time when Kanye West is sounding like NIN. Seriously I'd love a record full of Tetsuo sounding craziness.

Ripe(withdecay)
06-16-2013, 12:33 PM
I just want a Nine Inch Nails record.

jesus
06-16-2013, 01:54 PM
I just want a Nine Inch Nails record.

that's exactly what I think

ninsp
06-16-2013, 02:22 PM
I'm honestly expecting a grown up, more mature version of TDS. The intro and outro tracks make me think it's going to be a concept album, and the art directly references TDS as does the end of CBH. I think he picked CBH because it's like the Closer of the album. Structured pretty similar, honestly. But the ending has the TDS theme, and the song itself has throwbacks to every single era of NIN. Wouldn't be surprised to see this as the last NIN album. The Slip just left NIN feeling incomplete. I have a lot of expectations, especially after listening to Yeezus...it sounds a lot like a rap version of NIN, to me.

Fangster_
06-16-2013, 02:57 PM
I remember being ready for more NIN when Broken came out, but it wasn't the sort of music I was interested in. I listened to a few songs now and then. My mom, on the other hand, thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

That's just... cool. My Christian KISS-prohibiting mom rocking to Broken is an alternative reality so absurd I'm honest to god completely unable to even create the mental image.

Scarlet Siren
06-16-2013, 03:04 PM
I have a lot of expectations, especially after listening to Yeezus...it sounds a lot like a rap version of NIN, to me.

Interesting... I might check it out.

Big Fat Matt
06-16-2013, 03:14 PM
i want a CD full of dancefloor hits that i can watch bitches twerk to.

butter_hole
06-16-2013, 04:16 PM
Interesting... I might check it out.
wasnt niggy tardust the rap version of NIN?

Scarlet Siren
06-16-2013, 04:40 PM
wasnt niggy tardust the rap version of NIN?

Some might think so, and what a BRILLIANT album it is. Saul is a wonderful lyricist. I dug this out last week and played it heavily at work, The Workmates seem to really enjoy it.

Right... well, I've listened to this Yeezus album and it's bloody horrific. I can hear poor man elements of NIN, some Aphex Twin. I'm not keen on Kanye's delivery and couldn't differentiate the lyrics (sounded like he was banging on about the same thing over, and over). This might sound revolutionary in the rap and hip/hop community but to my ears it sounded rehashed.

JamesCmuse
06-16-2013, 05:10 PM
Unless they're actually something of consistency, I agree. The instrumentals on TF are my favourite.

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
06-16-2013, 08:40 PM
especially after listening to Yeezus...it sounds a lot like a rap version of NIN, to me. I am the type of guy who gives all music a chance but why do so many people on this board suck off Kanye so much? I am a musician and I really love all different kinds of music but I have NO love (or even respect for him). NIN was one of my first favorite bands but as I grew as a musician I have found that as far as being complex or super badass musician Trent is not. He really is a great songwriter don't get me wrong. I just mean not as musically inclined as say a Danny Carey or a John 5 type. That being said he still can make smart music. It has a pop format but still twisting in his dark electronic influences or whatever else he is experimenting with that day. I hear some similar type things in reference to Kanye but I really fail to hear them (and I have tried). The only progression I hear in his music is his ego. His lyrics make him sound like the biggest coke-head on the planet. I know that hip-hop is an egotistical genre for the most part but he is just too much. Most people that give out a lot of advise and talk about how smart they are are completely fucking stupid and he is no exception. I really bums me out that this cut and paste "producer" is making more money than El-P or CX Kidtronik or someone else like those guys. I guess the average listener will always go for what I call "dumb" music. I mean no disrespect to anyone who likes him I just get a bad taste in my mouth when people compare what I think of as "smart" music to what I think of as "dumb" music.

Now that I have ranted I will say I think that Hesitation Marks is going to be a lot darker than this single! The name alone screams TDS part 2.

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
06-16-2013, 08:42 PM
This might sound revolutionary in the rap and hip/hop community but to my ears it sounded rehashed. Mainstream Hip-Hop is WAY behind most other genres in general. Their is some stuff in the underground but the popular shit is just garbage.

littlemonkey613
06-16-2013, 09:22 PM
as I grew as a musician I have found that as far as being complex or super badass musician Trent is not.

Wtf? The more I grow as a musician I think the opposite.

Jinsai
06-16-2013, 09:33 PM
as I grew as a musician I have found that as far as being complex or super badass musician Trent is not. He really is a great songwriter don't get me wrong. I just mean not as musically inclined as say a Danny Carey or a John 5 type.

http://izquotes.com/quotes-pictures/quote-you-ve-unleashed-the-fucking-fury-yngwie-j-malmsteen-249437.jpg

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
06-16-2013, 11:29 PM
If you say that Trent Reznor is as good at guitar as John 5 or Dimebag or someone like that then you don't know crap about music. Trent knows how to bring in the right guys to execute his vision (Robin, Adrian, Etc.) AND BOY DOES IT WORK! He is an AWESOME pianist but he still is smart enough to let Mike Garson rock that shit or even Alessondro do some electronics work that he couldn't do himself. I don't need to explain myself here anymore. If you play any kind of instrument you know the differences in skill level. This is in NO WAY a knock at Trent Reznor, he needs guys like that just like guys like that need him!

Max Leo
06-17-2013, 12:19 AM
If you say that Trent Reznor is as good at guitar as John 5 or Dimebag or someone like that then you don't know crap about music. Trent knows how to bring in the right guys to execute his vision (Robin, Adrian, Etc.) AND BOY DOES IT WORK! He is an AWESOME pianist but he still is smart enough to let Mike Garson rock that shit or even Alessondro do some electronics work that he couldn't do himself. I don't need to explain myself here anymore. If you play any kind of instrument you know the differences in skill level. This is in NO WAY a knock at Trent Reznor, he needs guys like that just like guys like that need him!
He has always admitted that he is not a very good guitarist, and he uses other musicians for some of his albums because they are better PLAYERS, but that doesn't make them better musicians or songwriters or composers or whatever you want to call them/it. Trent can write and produce music that is far better than anything John 5 could ever do, the same way Robin Finck can probably play live guitars much better than Trent does and can probably write a billion riffs for "Chinese Democracy" but he has not released an album like TDS or any other thing that Trent has done.

When I listen to Trent's music I'm not looking for amazing guitar solos or complicated live drum beats where Trent shows how great he is playing different instruments, he has been saying that since the PHM's days, that he is not interested in doing that kind of music, he is not pretending to be a guitar god or the best pianist, and he doesn't need to do it, I can listen to his TGWTDT's score which is quite long and I don't need mindblowing instrumentation in every track to think that it's fucking great music and way better than most of the stuff released by other musicians who can probably write more complicated stuff with their guitars or pianos.

Jinsai
06-17-2013, 12:47 AM
If you say that Trent Reznor is as good at guitar as John 5 or Dimebag or...

or Yngwie fucking Malmsteen!!!! Wooooooooooo hoo

mostlymad
06-17-2013, 03:56 PM
That's just... cool. My Christian KISS-prohibiting mom rocking to Broken is an alternative reality so absurd I'm honest to god completely unable to even create the mental image.

There were good things about being the daughter of the black sheep of the family. I never suffered censorship issues.

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
06-17-2013, 06:52 PM
I said the same thing as Max Leo as far as him needing them and them needing Trent but he seems to have missed that. I guess its hard for some people to understand things like Trent < God.

Prettybrokenspiral
06-18-2013, 07:27 AM
Just please, God, an album that is not cluttered with needless instrumentals. We have plenty of instrumentals on already, on every NIN album, bar PHM.

Songs, that tell a narrative. Please.

Indefinite_Cure
06-18-2013, 07:39 AM
He has always admitted that he is not a very good guitarist, and he uses other musicians for some of his albums because they are better PLAYERS, but that doesn't make them better musicians or songwriters or composers or whatever you want to call them/it. Trent can write and produce music that is far better than anything John 5 could ever do, the same way Robin Finck can probably play live guitars much better than Trent does and can probably write a billion riffs for "Chinese Democracy" but he has not released an album like TDS or any other thing that Trent has done.

When I listen to Trent's music I'm not looking for amazing guitar solos or complicated live drum beats where Trent shows how great he is playing different instruments, he has been saying that since the PHM's days, that he is not interested in doing that kind of music, he is not pretending to be a guitar god or the best pianist, and he doesn't need to do it, I can listen to his TGWTDT's score which is quite long and I don't need mindblowing instrumentation in every track to think that it's fucking great music and way better than most of the stuff released by other musicians who can probably write more complicated stuff with their guitars or pianos.

Hah! I remember having a discussion with some fellow university music students about Trent Reznor winning the Oscar for the best soundtrack being a joke because the theme song has about 5 notes...I was like "just put on some earphones and listen to the score before you judge it. Anyway, it's quite idiotic to judge the quality of music by the amount of notes it contains" I mean, Barber's Adagio for strings is almost only rising scales with minor 7 chords only orchestrated with strings, when you look at it...but it's the most chills-inducing musical piece ever and it's fucking brilliant!

sheepdean
06-18-2013, 07:52 AM
Just please, God, an album that is not cluttered with needless instrumentals. We have plenty of instrumentals on already, on every NIN album, bar PHM. Just please, God, an album that is not cluttered with needless vocals. We have plenty of singing on every NIN album, bar Ghosts.

mfte
06-18-2013, 07:54 AM
Has any one said more cowbell yet?

pigpen
06-18-2013, 10:36 AM
has anyone NEEDED to mention cowbell!? that's a given

Promethean
06-18-2013, 01:07 PM
Google 'Nine Inch Nails Yeezus' and you get tons of hits, everyone's saying the same thing. People were slagging TR lyrics on another thread but if your read lyrics from the likes of Kanye and Jay Z, both of whom are held up as poets, TR's lyrics seem better and better. What strikes me about the whole 'Kanye sounds like NIN now' thing is how career affirming it must be for TR to be an influence to someone who most people think is the greatest pop star on Earth. Almost 24 years into his career and he's still influencing people, not a legacy act at all, still leading the way. Pretty amazing really. I can't think of another artist who maintained that level of influence for so long.

Paperthin567
06-19-2013, 12:14 AM
I apologize in advance if this has been mentioned, but I find it odd that we are getting many references to NIN's previous work. A few examples include Alessandro posting pics on twitter of NIN broken cassette tapes. Eric Avery showing pics on his Facebook page of him doing "homework" and it's the Fragile on his IPOD. And NIN posting pics on TUMBLR of all of the previous eras as well as videos, including the most recent post of all of the previous NIN singles being streamable in a playlist. I dunno. What do you guys think? Foreshadowing or coincidence?

sheepdean
06-19-2013, 12:25 AM
I apologize in advance if this has been mentioned, but I find it odd that we are getting many references to NIN's previous work. A few examples include Alessandro posting pics on twitter of NIN broken cassette tapes. Eric Avery showing pics on his Facebook page of him doing "homework" and it's the Fragile on his IPOD. And NIN posting pics on TUMBLR of all of the previous eras as well as videos, including the most recent post of all of the previous NIN singles being streamable in a playlist. I dunno. What do you guys think? Foreshadowing or coincidence?
You know that the tour is going to be mostly songs from previous albums? That's kinda how it works

Bonedwarf
06-19-2013, 06:58 PM
That it sounds like Kanye West at a time when Kanye West is sounding like NIN. Seriously I'd love a record full of Tetsuo sounding craziness.

I agree. For me the Tetsuo theme is the best thing Trent has done in years. Easily since Downward Spiral IMO. There's just something in that track that captivates me and affects me.

Paperthin567
06-19-2013, 08:22 PM
You know that the tour is going to be mostly songs from previous albums? That's kinda how it works

Really? You know that 100%, unequivocally, without a doubt for sure? I don't think that you do. I was posting a sincere thought about something out of excitement. I can live without the sarcasm, dude.

MrSlfDstruct
06-19-2013, 08:46 PM
It's really strange/great to see all these posts and references to older NIN, particularly the 90's, on their Tumblr/Twitter/Facebook, and now a new collaboration with David Lynch & Russel Mills.

I really can't wait to start seeing some interviews with Trent regarding this album, his intentions/concept and approach.

sheepdean
06-19-2013, 09:48 PM
Really? You know that 100%, unequivocally, without a doubt for sure? I don't think that you do.
With over a hundred songs in the back catalogue, normally 20+ song sets and the knowledge that no band will play their entire new album live at any show other than an album launch party, yes, I can say for sure that the majority of songs played are going to be not from HM.

DVYDRNS
06-19-2013, 10:06 PM
my hope is that it doesnt suck.

allegro
06-20-2013, 12:08 AM
the knowledge that no band will play their entire new album live at any show
My husband and I saw David Gilmour during the "On An Island" tour and Gilmour and band played the entire new album live. Then they did some Pink Floyd songs.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/david-gilmour/2006/rosemont-theatre-rosemont-il-bd6150a.html

rboggs
06-20-2013, 02:29 PM
neil young did for greendale. i'm sure there are other examples

jessamineny
06-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Did those artists tell people in advance they were doing it, or did they sell thousands of tickets and then piss off and alienate a huge chunk of the fanbase? (Hint: I agree with sheepdean)

onthewall2983
06-20-2013, 03:09 PM
I heard people were mad on the Neil Young tour because he played the entire album solo, when it was advertised as a Neil Young & Crazy Horse show. I didn't dig deep into reviews of the Gilmour tour but speaking as someone who counts it as a life regret missing the Chicago show I would have loved to have seen it. The first half of the show was the new album and the 2nd half was Floyd songs. Not necessarily hits either but a very good selection of early Floyd stuff and some of the hits. Roger's show that same year was more of a jukebox in that regard.

Steven Wilson's latest album has only 6 (albeit quite lengthy) songs and played all of them on his shows from his latest tours. On the tours behind the last two Porcupine Tree albums, they played the latest material in the first set and older stuff in the 2nd.

On a side note, it's kind of funny this is being brought up because Bob Dylan is playing here sometime soon. They are giving away tickets on the oldies station, with the guy saying "hear Bob play all the hits!". I'm by no means an expert on all things Bob but even I know that crowd is going to be lucky to hear "Subterranean Homesick Blues".

frankie teardrop
06-20-2013, 03:17 PM
smashing pumpkins also played oceania in full followed by a set of classics on their last tour- and they have a MUCH larger back catalog than nine inch nails does. long story short: it happens, guys.

jmtd
06-20-2013, 03:34 PM
I seem to recall some of the last NIN shows being TDS in full, and it being well received. Obviously that is a classic and well known album and not a new and unproven one.

screwdriver
06-20-2013, 06:17 PM
smashing pumpkins also played oceania in full followed by a set of classics on their last tour- and they have a MUCH larger back catalog than nine inch nails does. long story short: it happens, guys.

yeah, though they told people ahead of time they were doing that

Paperthin567
06-21-2013, 12:29 AM
NIN also played TDS start to finish live at two shows back in 2009, I believe. So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

eversonpoe
06-21-2013, 12:39 AM
NIN also played TDS start to finish live at two shows back in 2009, I believe. So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

a) that was already mentioned
b) it's very different to play a classic album front to back at a show (without prior announcement) then it is to play a new, unheard album front to back at a show.

Zipfinator
06-21-2013, 01:03 AM

Jeepers peepers... Even if they do play the new album in its entirety do you think that's all they're going to play after multiple tours of 20+ song set lists? Obviously many songs from older albums are going to be played alongside songs from the new album. Put that in your dumb shit pipe and smoke it.

allegro
06-21-2013, 02:58 AM
neil young did for greendale.
We saw that!!!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/neil-young/2003/united-center-chicago-il-5bd05320.html

Did those artists tell people in advance they were doing it, or did they sell thousands of tickets and then piss off and alienate a huge chunk of the fanbase?)
No warning, no. Zero.

Yup, pissed off the fans but we got over it. Especially since we got a bunch of hits after they finished playing the entire album (with both David Gilmour and Neil Young).

Not saying Reznor would ever have the guts to do this, just saying it does happen and I've seen it, with zero warning to anyone, twice.

DVYDRNS
06-21-2013, 11:03 AM
I was at the Greendale tour, and being a gigantic Neil fan, I didnt care one bit that he played Greendale all the way through! I loved it! BECAUSE I LOVE NEIL YOUNG. I enjoy his music. One of the perks of being a musician that has been going for 20+ years is that you can do stuff like that. And your fans are gonna be your fans. they will come. thats why they're your fans...

After he played Greendale, he came back out and rocked another hour full of hurricane, into the black, cortez and powderfinger. and it was amazing.

ElOsoBlanco
06-27-2013, 06:12 PM
I'm hoping for a proper follow up to The Fragile (NOT a sequel - an evolved sound rooted in that record), with an emphasis on a mature, NIN 2.0 sound. With Teeth felt like he was trying too hard to prove he could still make an NIN album sober. I'm not the biggest PHM fan, but I recognize PHM, TDS and Fragile are the defining NIN albums. Broken is great, I thought Year Zero was inspired stuff, and I like most of The Slip, especially live. That said, 2005-2009 feels like a lost era of NIN - incredibly ambitious, but lacking any cohesive feel (despite some impressive tours). I really admired the DIY approach, the Ghosts&Slip release model, the Year Zero promotion and supplementary material, but the music didn't redefine NIN like TDS or The Fragile.

In summary, my hopes are that Hesitation Marks stands out as a defining album for a new era of NIN a la TDS or The Fragile. In reality, I'm not expecting much more than a mix of With Teeth and Year Zero.

ElOsoBlanco
06-27-2013, 06:15 PM
As far as yall talking about playing a new album start to finish, the recent Rolling Stone feature on QOTSA describes Homme as deciding to do just that minutes before a show. Could have been staged for the magazine reporter. The article says the fans loved it, of course the writer gushed about ...Like Clockwork.

MrSlfDstruct
06-27-2013, 09:27 PM
CBH will be the only track with vocals. The rest is a Billy Joel-inspired turn and Trent is going back to his classical roots.

ninsp
06-29-2013, 08:44 PM
yeah, though they told people ahead of time they were doing that

I have a poster from the tour that says featuring music from Oceania but not the whole album. Either way, loved that they did that. Amazing show. Billy talked about it, but I'm not too sure he actually advertised it as such.

allegro
06-29-2013, 08:56 PM
I was at the Greendale tour, and being a gigantic Neil fan, I didnt care one bit that he played Greendale all the way through! I loved it! BECAUSE I LOVE NEIL YOUNG. I enjoy his music. One of the perks of being a musician that has been going for 20+ years is that you can do stuff like that. And your fans are gonna be your fans. they will come. thats why they're your fans...

After he played Greendale, he came back out and rocked another hour full of hurricane, into the black, cortez and powderfinger. and it was amazing.
At first, we were, like, WHAT? This is like A MUSICAL?!? But, we were surprised, we really liked it, it was interesting, the story was good, the music was good, and - like you said - when you love Neil Young, you trust Neil Young, because he's fucking Neil Young!

xerom
06-29-2013, 10:09 PM
I hope that it's a good, solid album. I'm sure that it will be, but I'm with others here in thinking that the time has past for another "ground-breaking", or "defining" album. I would be absolutely shocked if it were another TDS or The Fragile. With that said, I'd also be shocked if it were a bad album... I know I've found myself enjoying about 97% of his work so far over the last few decades.

billpulsipher
06-30-2013, 12:42 PM
I had high hopes for the album...But I disliked CBH and disliked the video for CBH even more...now I am skeptical this is going to be some mammoth return to form for TR...Most likely will just fit somewhere in between the rest of his post Fragile work.

jessamineny
06-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Look, I don't like the video either, but not for one hot second do I think it's any reflection on the quality of the music I'll be hearing in September. That logic just defies me.

thefragile_jake
06-30-2013, 12:54 PM
What's funny is how much I've been on board again with everything regarding this record...again the only record that was post Fragile that didn't do anything for me in particular was Year Zero and even still I can appreciate where it stands in Nine Inch Nails history at least.

I can't get Came Back Haunted out of my head and now especially with the music video, it's even put already a new spin and new life into an already healthy, functioning single for me.

As far as what any hopes for the rest of the album, I had always said I would've loved to have seen a new Nine Inch Nails album be somewhat of a digestible Fragile record. Now, the Fragile is my favorite NIN album of all time but I was always intrigued with the possibility of seeing something like the sound textures of Ghosts I-IV brought into a 13-14 track album. Something moody and full of sound textures but also based within the song structure notion.

Came Back Haunted is very electronic sounding and Trent has gone on to say that Hesitation Marks is more electronic in sound and my only hope is that it doesn't suffer the Year Zero electronic sound...which to me just felt like Trent playing around with the drum loops in Garageband. Haunted already has a better electronic sound to me than most of the songs on YZ so I'm fairly confident I will love Hesitation Marks.

Amaro
07-01-2013, 08:37 AM
Yeah...I can't explain it...even though HM is said to be an electronic album, based off of CBH, I don't believe it will be in the YZ glitchy variety. I don't know if it was that electronic approach or the songwriting on YZ I didn't like...but I didn't like it. This song is a bit less daring than SRVVLSM, for example, but I enjoy it more. Possibly because it's less forward musically, and it just may be more introspective in theme. I personally think CBH has a LOT of more vintage NIN sound to it.

BenAkenobi
07-01-2013, 09:05 AM
YZ glitchy variety

what's glitchy about YZ? glitchy i thought was a brief effect of one Self destruction remix on FDTS, where song got extremely slowed down to halt for a few seconds and that's it...

Amaro
07-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Maybe I haven't heard YZ in that long of time...but I thought all things "glitchy" particularly came out of YZ...

eversonpoe
07-01-2013, 10:56 AM
i think by "glitchy" he was referring to the style of drum programming, in particular. it has a very electronic sound to it rather than the more organic-sounding drum programming of earlier NIN.

AlanMorlock
07-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Famously, during a show in the '95 NIN/David Bowie tour, once the show transitioned to Bowie alone without Trent, Bowie only played his new album straight through. Pissed a lot of people off.

thefragile_jake
07-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Yeah...I can't explain it...even though HM is said to be an electronic album, based off of CBH, I don't believe it will be in the YZ glitchy variety. I don't know if it was that electronic approach or the songwriting on YZ I didn't like...but I didn't like it. This song is a bit less daring than SRVVLSM, for example, but I enjoy it more. Possibly because it's less forward musically, and it just may be more introspective in theme. I personally think CBH has a LOT of more vintage NIN sound to it.

I agree, there's just something about the way the drums sound in Year Zero and that certain esthetic he wrote the album in that I didn't care for as much either. It's got this almost static and super sequenced sound to it that on paper sounds like it would be really interesting but I end up getting eventually bored with the record after awhile....it's funny too cause Beginning of the End doesn't sound like it should be on that album at all.

CBH DOES feel a lot like vintage NIN to me as well too. I'm hoping that if Hesitation Marks is some sort of album in the same conceptual world of The Downward Spiral we got songs that feel very electronic in their programming and production but maybe get a couple songs with primal sounding drums like in the Fragile as well!

I can't believe this thing comes out in a mere two months!!

Dragoro
07-01-2013, 05:51 PM
I always like the wait and anticipation the best.

Dragoro
07-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Famously, during a show in the '95 NIN/David Bowie tour, once the show transitioned to Bowie alone without Trent, Bowie only played his new album straight through. Pissed a lot of people off.

I remember that. The show at the palace in michigan emptied almost as soon as bowie took the stage.

carpenoctem
07-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Now, the Fragile is my favorite NIN album of all time but I was always intrigued with the possibility of seeing something like the sound textures of Ghosts I-IV brought into a 13-14 track album. Something moody and full of sound textures but also based within the song structure notion.

You're describing Welcome Oblivion. Obviously that wasn't just Trent, but his hand was heavy in it.

thefragile_jake
07-02-2013, 12:04 AM
You're describing Welcome Oblivion. Obviously that wasn't just Trent, but his hand was heavy in it.

Eh. Agree to disagree with that notion I suppose, Oblivion on paper sounds extremely similar to what I described but I think the songwriting and production isnt very strong on that record. I get interested than very bored after awhile. I do hear where you're coming from though..

wight rabbit
07-02-2013, 09:31 AM
It's got this almost static and super sequenced sound to it that on paper sounds like it would be really interesting but I end up getting eventually bored with the record after awhile....

Eh. Agree to disagree with that notion I suppose, Oblivion on paper sounds extremely similar to what I described but I think the songwriting and production isnt very strong on that record. I get interested than very bored after awhile. I do hear where you're coming from though..

I see a connection here...

thefragile_jake
07-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Oh boy, am I that predictable with explanations? :( That's what I get for being tired while writing that I guess, haha.

Is anyone hoping for an eventual remix album to follow Hesitation Marks? I really like the idea of companion remix albums after full lengths and such, my favorite probably being Things Falling Apart.

sheepdean
07-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Is anyone hoping for an eventual remix album to follow Hesitation Marks? I really like the idea of companion remix albums after full lengths and such, my favorite probably being Things Falling Apart.
Well, DE disc2 has remixes, though not many. The fact that HTDA had so many means TR is still clearly down with the idea though.

jesus
07-02-2013, 06:19 PM
anyone know why "with teeth" doesn't have a companion remix album? aaaah! I also think "Pretty Hate Machine" doesn't have one too... anyone know why??

reseen_lamenti
07-02-2013, 06:23 PM
anyone know why "with teeth" doesn't have a companion remix album? aaaah! I also think "Pretty Hate Machine" doesn't have one too... anyone know why??
Closest you're gonna get is EDIETS single for WT and HLAH (US version) for PHM

eversonpoe
07-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Closest you're gonna get is EDIETS single for WT and HLAH (US version) for PHM

(not a stab at you, just in general)

why do people insist on abbreviating things? i mean, i know some things are obvious (PHM) but when people abbreviate EVERY freakin' song title and album title, it gets exhausting. especially because, sometimes, unless you've abbreviated it yourself, you have to sit there and figure out what is being abbreviated.

Dethbryte
07-02-2013, 08:44 PM
I hope my body is ready.

Jon
07-02-2013, 08:54 PM
I hope my body is ready.

In keeping with Everson Poe's post about acronyms...

http://www.pathtofatloss.com/wp-content/woo_custom/4-ediets.png

eversonpoe
07-03-2013, 09:37 AM
electronic diets? easy diets? erotic diets? entomologist diets? i mean...there are so many possibilities!

Jon
07-03-2013, 09:52 AM
electronic diets? easy diets? erotic diets? entomologist diets? i mean...there are so many possibilities!

eDiets = Every Diet Is Exactly The Same

My hope for Hesitation Marks is that 'Black Noise' will sound good with 'The Eater Of Dreams' after it... "infinite" albums are sweet.

Edit: that's a cluster of a sentence up there but I don't want to correct it. I think I got the point across okay.

eversonpoe
07-03-2013, 02:00 PM
eDiets = Every Diet Is Exactly The Same

see what i mean? i honestly didn't even think of that.

seasonsinthesky
07-03-2013, 10:04 PM

why do people insist on abbreviating things? i mean, i know some things are obvious (PHM) but when people abbreviate EVERY freakin' song title and album title, it gets exhausting. especially because, sometimes, unless you've abbreviated it yourself, you have to sit there and figure out what is being abbreviated.

i find it makes posts fun if you pronounce (in your head) the abbreviations like they're words:

Closest you're gonna get is e-diets single for wot and hlah (US version) for ffhm

elevenism
07-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Really? You know that 100%, unequivocally, without a doubt for sure? I don't think that you do. I was posting a sincere thought about something out of excitement. I can live without the sarcasm, dude.

Ummmm... youngblood? that's kinda how it goes. have you ever been to a rock concert? i'm not trying to be an asshole, but dude? how old are you? no offense, for real.

elevenism
07-05-2013, 03:24 PM

It proves that you are cooler than everyone else, right? I mean, what REAL nin fan wouldnt know what ILFTJYF means at first glance, right?

elevenism
07-05-2013, 03:30 PM
OK sorry for 3 posts.

I REALLY hope the new album is an industrial rock album by Nine Inch Nails.

Ive been listening to these albums for 21 years now, and i am starting to feel like the old guy when i hear "i got into nin when with teeth came out.

But yeah. A Rock and Roll album by NIN in 2013...shit, that's the holy fucking grail."

SarahConnor
07-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Since the definition of a hesitation mark is a self-inflicted wound, the LP could be some inverse or continuation of The Downward Spiral's themes of self-destruction. The two records share the same visual presentation and number of tracks as well. That's what I expect to hear.

elevenism
07-17-2013, 03:22 AM
i have this strange feeling..like some of you have said...that it may be some sort of upward spiral?

The resolution for the "character" in TDS and TF maybe? but who knows.
it IS an interesting thought

hobochic
07-18-2013, 03:23 PM
One of the things I'm mostly looking forward to is discovering Lindsey Buckingham's place in the album. Is it acoustic guitar? distant vocals? It's a strange collaboration and I'm a sucker for oddball fusion clashes. Buh-ring it.

pigpen
07-19-2013, 07:59 PM
I'm hoping there will be at least one epic instrumental on this record. You know, the kind you were hoping TR made 36 of
when he announced Ghosts.

kolopsia
07-22-2013, 12:57 AM
I hope the album has some groovy tracks in the same vein as "only", "discipline", "echoplex" ect. Not to say came back haunted isn't groovy, but I like analog drums slightly more than drum machines.

BenAkenobi
07-22-2013, 02:30 AM
...Not to say came back haunted isn't groovy...

I hope (in vain) came back haunted is rerecorded for album with more attention to vocal parts.

dlb
07-22-2013, 02:38 AM
so you're hoping Trent is pulling a Christopher Nolan/Bane and re-records his vocals, because people have trouble understanding him? :D

He might be a little sensitive when it comes to critics but I highly doubt that. My hopes are up for some other neat tracks and no single filler.

wight rabbit
07-22-2013, 07:31 AM
I hope the album has some groovy tracks in the same vein as "only", "discipline", "echoplex" ect. Not to say came back haunted isn't groovy, but I like analog drums slightly more than drum machines.

I'd say Came Back Haunted's drums are fairly similar to Echoplex's drums. Only utilized Battery drums, Discipline utilized Addictive Drums, and Echoplex sounds like an old drum machine.

butter_hole
07-22-2013, 07:43 AM
Only was an old analogue Drum machine. not sure of the name.

The Reason Being
07-22-2013, 08:55 AM
My hope for Hesitation Marks is simply that he's not repeating himself in any way, or getting caught up in a bygone era (arguably the most popular one). I find it weird how when talking about NIN in March he stressed how important it was to him to not repeat himself and to not look to the past for inspiration and to stay true to the present, which is something he admires Bowie for (The irony here being The Next Day album cover). The artwork / font used for HM is clearly in reference to TDS, which is really strange and kind of offputting. Came Back Haunted doesn't sound like it, it does sound like its own thing, so that's encouring and definitely most important. There were people who were saying it had the Downward Spiral motif toward the end and that worried me, but thankfully that was just fan wankery and there's nothing resembling TDS motif in the track. So yeah, in a nutshell, don't repeat yourself Trent, and especially please don't pretend to be all gothy and angsty like you were when TDS came out because you're clearly not that anymore, and it would be super lame. I can ignore the cringey album title, the ugly and annoyingly Downward Spiral-esque artwork and the shitty video, as long as the music is good i don't care about any of that stuff. I'm excited, though :)

telee.kom
07-22-2013, 08:57 AM

That's funny, I'm hoping in exact opossite. These tracks are not really my favourites. Plus Echoplex has definitely drum machine instead of live drums and Discipline isn't really sound like live drums either

screwdriver
07-22-2013, 09:03 AM
My hope for Hesitation Marks is simply that he's not repeating himself in any way, or getting caught up in a bygone era (arguably the most popular one). I find it weird how when talking about NIN in March he stressed how important it was to him to not repeat himself and to not look to the past for inspiration and to stay true to the present, which is something he admires Bowie for. The artwork / font used for HM is clearly in reference to TDS, which is really strange and kind of offputting. Came Back Haunted doesn't sound like it, it does sound like its own thing, so that's encouring and definitely most important. There were people who were saying it had the Downward Spiral motif toward the end and that worried me, but thankfully that was just fan wankery and there's nothing resembling TDS motif in the track. So yeah, in a nutshell, don't repeat yourself Trent, and especially please don't pretend to be all gothy and angsty like you were when TDS came out because you're clearly not that anymore, and it would be super lame. I can ignore the cringey album title, the ugly and annoyingly Downward Spiral-esque artwork and the shitty video, as long as the music is good i don't care about any of that stuff. I'm excited, though :)

I think Bowie is a good analogy, who would frequently manage to put in references to his past eras through the artwork or even the music but not copy those eras wholesale. That seems to be (on the basis of CBH) what is going on here. If all we had was the art, I'd be nervous too, but CBH seems pretty novel for TR.

That said, that video was awesome :-) (And yeah, its definitely NOT the Closer motif at the end of CBH. fan wankery is right!)

screwdriver
07-22-2013, 09:10 AM
... this is trolling, right?"Only" is an analog drum machine EDIT: It's an old sample-based drum machine, I should look before posting
"Discipline" is most likely a digital sample-based drum machine
"Echoplex" sounds (to me) like a digital synthesis drum machine

So none of the things you identified have anything in common, besides being drum machines. Also, "analog" generally refers to analog circuitry, not to "real, physical" instruments like drums. (Note: obviously analog instruments are REAL, I just mean, like, make actual noise without an amplifier.)

Leviathant
07-22-2013, 09:15 AM
... this is trolling, right?
"Only" is an analog drum machine

Wh-wh-whaaaa? Pray tell, which analog drum machine?

"Discipline" is most likely a digital sample-based drum machine
"Echoplex" sounds (to me) like a digital synthesis drum machine

But you said Only uses an analog drum machine.

slave2thewage
07-22-2013, 09:22 AM
I could've sworn TR said he used a Metasonix for Only.

screwdriver
07-22-2013, 09:24 AM
Wh-wh-whaaaa? Pray tell, which analog drum machine?

But you said Only uses an analog drum machine.

? I'm confused by your response.

but anyway, my understanding was the drums from Only were Drumtraks, based on this:
Fur-Lined drums

Karlzt Michael: why are the drums in "Fur-Lined (http://www.ninwiki.com/Fur-Lined)" recycled from "Only (http://www.ninwiki.com/Only_(song))?"
TR: They aren't. I think I used the same "vintage" drum machine (SC Drumtraks - I think) so the sounds could be similar / the same.
http://www.ninwiki.com/Htda_Questions#Fur-Lined_drums

If that's incorrect info, I apologize.

EDIT: The drum machine isn't analog. I should've looked before posting.

sheepdean
07-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Only used this drum machine http://www.vintagesynth.com/sci/drumtrx.php

Source: http://www.ninwiki.com/Htda_Questions#Fur-Lined_drums

cashpiles (closed)
07-22-2013, 09:38 AM
I'm hoping Trent pushes his unique sound in a happier, more good-times, upbeat direction for the new album. At the same time, some new twist on the darkness would also be welcome. Either way, he just has to make it awesome in its own right, so it can stand beside the greatest NIN albums.

kolopsia
07-22-2013, 10:37 AM
I'm hoping Trent pushes his unique sound in a happier, more good-times, upbeat direction for the new album. At the same time, some new twist on the darkness would also be welcome. Either way, he just has to make it awesome in its own right, so it can stand beside the greatest NIN albums. To me this kind of describes how "The Slip" sounded, generally upbeat sounding with a dark edge.

fakdoo
07-22-2013, 07:34 PM
generally upbeat sounding with a dark edge.

Funny how an album with the line "blow my fucking brains out" can be considered generally upbeat, relative to the other albums.

As for Hesitation Marks: I hope some of the stuff that the Kronos Quartet (allegedly) recorded made it onto the album. I'm not optimistic seeing as how they weren't on the "additional musicians" list released to the press.

kolopsia
07-22-2013, 07:56 PM
I can't tell if you're putting it perspective or being a dick, sorry, it's only because there have been so many people on here who have been "as a matter of fact" and laughed at my opinions on things.

fuckit
07-22-2013, 08:10 PM
I hope that it has more layers than recent nin material. I might get hanged for this, but I'm hoping for a track that's as ethereal as HTDA. Something along the lines of And The Sky Began to scream. That song has so much depth to it. It feels reminiscent of the fragile. Of course, I'd hate the album to be nothing but that. Oh yeah, I hope trent has a different solo guitar effect than the one used on came back haunted and survivalism

tony.parente
07-22-2013, 08:15 PM
I hope the album is as good the chorus of Came Back Haunted, but better than that god awful opening.

h-h-haunted.

what?

Trent, plz go.

fakdoo
07-23-2013, 01:17 AM
I can't tell if you're putting it perspective or being a dick, sorry, it's only because there have been so many people on here who have been "as a matter of fact" and laughed at my opinions on things.

Not trying to be a dick. I agree, The Slip was relatively lighter and more accessible than some of the other albums. My friend who likes Barenaked Ladies likes The Slip. Even so, the lightest TR gets is still pretty bleak territory.

I'm curious to see what themes are explored in HM. The art and title seem to suggest something with more depth and substance than the NIN-by-the-numbers, club-friendly Came Back Haunted. I'm hoping for some more subdued, thoughtful tracks like Lights in the Sky.

kolopsia
07-23-2013, 02:58 PM
I hope the album has that ying/yang feel that the fragile had, heavy tracks with softer intermission songs and instrumentals. I think that's one of Trent's best abilities as a songwriter, riding each polar opposite of vibes.

hellospaceboy
07-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Funny how an album with the line "blow my fucking brains out" can be considered generally upbeat, relative to the other albums.

It's interesting just how much the mood of an album actually depends on what state YOUR life is at the time it hits. I'm always amazed that my sister swears that Bowie's Outside is one of the happiest albums she heard, and even used the term "upbeat" for Strangers When We Meet, just because she was in a great place in life when she discovered it. But still, WTF, right?!

thefragile_jake
07-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Wrong thread.