PDA

View Full Version : E3 2013

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-10-2013, 05:52 PM
I thought it'd be a good idea to just make a general E3 thread.

I just saw the Rabbids Invasion TV show/game thing. I have no idea what the fuck that's about. But hey! On to Assassin's Creed!

Wretchedest
06-10-2013, 06:04 PM
good idea!

I think Microsoft manage to do okay, in light of nobody really wanting to buy it so far. EA had Battle front... and right now the Rock's little sister is destroying the Ubisoft conference.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-10-2013, 06:17 PM
The Division looked pretty sick. And then they showed the "Tom Clancy" moniker, and I came EVERYWHERE. That looks pretty awesome.

liquidcalm
06-10-2013, 06:50 PM
few things are currently stoking my gamer loins. MGS5, new Mirrors Edge... thats about it for now.. still catching up on trailers. The news coming from the MS presser is.. what everyone pretty much expected? £425 is a big ask.. the PS3 launched at that price over here and everyone laughed, I don't quite get how this is different.

nemesiswontdie
06-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Trailers for MGS5 and Dragon Age: Inquisition made me rock hard lol.

Hopefully the PS4 price announcement wont be too bad.

It's very unlikely it will happen, but I'd love to see Persona 5 get announced since the Persona series has always been Playstation exclusive.

liquidcalm
06-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Hopefully the PS4 price announcement wont be too bad.

It's very unlikely it will happen, but I'd love to see Persona 5 get announced since the Persona series has always been Playstation exclusive.

if the PS4 came in at £350 (what I paid for the ps3 plus 2 games about 7 months after launch) + a Persona title.. I'd start queuing now. Well.. that's a lie, but after my wife beat Persona 4 The Golden with 90+ hours on the clock, then dove straight into Arena and P3P this weekend.. I wouldn't have to justify the purchase as hard as I intended =)

Wretchedest
06-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Xbox was exactly the price I figured it would be. Not surprised in the least.

and the Division seems awesome. My favorite new thing so far.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-10-2013, 07:40 PM
The Division looks like it'll definitely hold us over until we get the next Rainbow Six. Wherever the hell that went.

Fingers crossed for some concrete info on the PS4, and no more bucket-cumming over the new controller!

Wretchedest
06-10-2013, 08:19 PM
They still really need to fire their live director. I want to see in game video, not video of screens. I hate it when they pull out.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-10-2013, 08:21 PM
But the kids love dubsteps!

Hm....PS Vita bundle with Telltale's Walking Dead (First season, plus 400 days) plus some other stuff? I might have to get in on that.

Piko
06-10-2013, 08:42 PM
That console is small... Almost identical tech as Xbox. What the hell did Microsoft put in that thing?

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Starting the PS4 presentation with not video games. Alright then.

Wretchedest
06-10-2013, 08:43 PM
They're doing the Xbox thing I see, and not talking about the games....

also did anyone else's ears stand up like a cat's when they mentioned Nine Inch Nails? it's reflexive!

Piko
06-10-2013, 08:46 PM
That's what they did in February. But i'm sure they'll cover games. It's a two hour presentation.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-10-2013, 08:49 PM
No doubt that they will. I guess it wasn't much of a surprise, you gotta get the crap out of the way before you get to the good stuff. Well, hopefully good stuff.

Tums206_BFY
06-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Independent developers time

Piko
06-10-2013, 09:18 PM
I'm confused. Versus XIII is now FFXV?

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-10-2013, 09:21 PM
I think...they're two seperate games? Maybe? It'd be pretty rad if they just made it into FFXV, though.

Piko
06-10-2013, 09:22 PM
The impression I got is that it's now FFXV, which i'm certainly fine with. I'm calling 2015 release date. Nice to see some KH3 as well. Sony is looking pretty good right now.

Tums206_BFY
06-10-2013, 09:33 PM
Watchdogs just looks more amazing every time I see it

Piko
06-10-2013, 09:42 PM
And there was a deathblow!

Conan The Barbarian
06-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Sony has won this generations war

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Piko
06-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Microsoft is going to get slaughtered now... They're hurt, don't ask them if they're ok. Honestly, i'm very surprised they aren't going the DRM route. Just shows how greedy microsoft truly is. They're fucked.

Conan The Barbarian
06-10-2013, 09:55 PM
I'm still a fan of the one, just don't know which one to get first now :(

I really want dead rising 3

Piko
06-10-2013, 09:57 PM
I'm still going to get an xbox, eventually. Probably when there's a price drop or something. For launch, though, it's PS4. I might wait a few months but I'm definitely getting a PS4 now.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Is that Bill Nighy in Destiny?? Damn, that game's looking even cooler. I'm gonna put my pre-order for the PS4 in next payday, for sure. They won me over tonight.

DAMN. That pricetag! Killing it!

thelastdisciple
06-10-2013, 10:01 PM
http://youtu.be/kWSIFh8ICaA

Piko
06-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Looked like a good mix of Halo and Borderlands. Looks amazing.

400 bucks?!

Wretchedest
06-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Holy shit! I don't think I've ever seen a console war won in such few words! Very exciting!

I will second the total and increasing confusion regarding Square. Finan Fantasy versus 13 is now FF 15. WHAT THE FUCK IS ANYTHING ANYMORE?

And Destiny looks great. exactly what I was hoping it would be.

oh FUCK i posted this BEFORE the price announcement. DOA XB1 RIP

thelastdisciple
06-10-2013, 10:03 PM
$400

sony wins at life.

Space Suicide
06-10-2013, 10:06 PM
I'd like the Xbox One over the PS4 first but my wallet might like me better if I went with PS4 for the price itself. Decisions, decisions....

I'd also like to state the online community of gamers are a bunch of ignorant, mindless sheep. No one here but the comments on articles I'm reading on game/console articles today shows how much I hate the term 'gamer' and the people that call themselves 'gamers.'

thelastdisciple
06-10-2013, 10:17 PM
I think it's pretty cut and dry which is the better deal here..... i mean unless you're a masochist.

Miss.Selfdestruct
06-11-2013, 01:16 AM
That console is small... Almost identical tech as Xbox. What the hell did Microsoft put in that thing?
a big ass fan
http://cdn.overclock.net/b/b4/350x700px-LL-b4206ad9_600x.jpeg

Miss.Selfdestruct
06-11-2013, 01:33 AM
And yeah, The Division looked hawt. Definitely grabbing that.

For the longest time, i've wanted to see Killer Instinct come back. It finally happens and it came off wack, and likely will be Xbone exclusive :/ Am hoping there's a demo to try out this week.

Curious what Nintendo might do tomorry. Really hoping for some Bayonetta 2 news.

FYI, Gamestops started taking pre-orders for PS4 at 100$ min. deposit.

liquidcalm
06-11-2013, 02:16 AM
a hell of a lot of Sony's conference fell flat. There was some great stuff in there, FFv13.. sorry.. FF15 could be great, and remember all those third party games eg COD:G, Battlefield, WatchDogs etc. are there too, and Second Son looked lovely.
It's a shame that you need PS+ to play online (which they didn't say, but inferred.), even though its still great value, and they really need to show the Gaikai goods, rather than just say coming 2014. If they had been able to say 'All first party PS3 games at launch', that would have been killer.
Used games and a full £80 cheaper though? Plus a smaller, slightly better looking device? I know which I'll be looking to get. I wonder if it still comes with the camera?

Wretchedest
06-11-2013, 02:50 AM
it doesn't come with the camera. the camera is 60 bucks.

nemesiswontdie
06-11-2013, 02:52 AM
Doesn't come with it, but at least PS4 doesn't need one.

Kodiak33
06-11-2013, 07:19 AM
What pissed me off about Xbox Live Gold was that you still needed it for Netflix, ESPN3, HBO Go, etc. The PS3 never did need PS+ to use those (it did not have HBO Go and ESPN3 however).

I'll be going with PS4 and PC until the prices comes way down on the Xbone.

october_midnight
06-11-2013, 08:14 AM
After all the knee-jerk reactions (which, come on now...it's 2013, were 100% expected), I still think Xbox One wins. Like Cliff B. said, it's ALL down to the games. The end. People from each side pissed and moaned about the current gen consoles and why PS3 was better and why Xbox 360 was better...a few years later, nobody gives a shit. They just like one and play it. I wonder what'll happen in a few years...

It's about the games, not internet pleasing rhetoric.

liquidcalm
06-11-2013, 08:33 AM
After all the knee-jerk reactions (which, come on now...it's 2013, were 100% expected), I still think Xbox One wins. Like Cliff B. said, it's ALL down to the games. The end. People from each side pissed and moaned about the current gen consoles and why PS3 was better and why Xbox 360 was better...a few years later, nobody gives a shit. They just like one and play it. I wonder what'll happen in a few years...

It's about the games, not internet pleasing rhetoric.

if you can swallow the pill of the drm, and you want to play the games then buy it. If Nintendo broadcast a load of awesome games In The next few hours, I'd consider a WiiU. It is all about the games. I just got my Ouya , it's... Not great, but I can play Mother 3 on it so in my mind, I'm happy. The console is a means to an end: fun.

things like drm, cost, connectivity are just barriers to that fun in some people's opinion, and in others they allow additional Enjoyment... No one is wrong for wanting an Xbox to play something fun. Or a WiiU, or an Ouya or anything else.
/zen

october_midnight
06-11-2013, 09:14 AM
I just got my Ouya , it's... Not great, but I can play Mother 3 on it so in my mind, I'm happy.

What don't you like about it? Nothing personal, just wanted an opinion as I was looking in to Ouya myself.

liquidcalm
06-11-2013, 09:28 AM
What don't you like about it? Nothing personal, just wanted an opinion as I was looking in to Ouya myself.

It is what it is really, it's not that powerful, and the games that are available right now on the store are bad. Very bad. The box itself is lovely and weighty. The controller too has a good weight to it, however it's quite chunky and I'm used to smaller controllers. The triggers are very cheap. You can pair a dual shock 3 which I'll try tonight.

you can however side load apps, meaning I got Gba, snes, nes, n64 and psx emulators up and running in no time. Loads more out there too.

it might get better, and it is fun to fiddle with for sure. Just don't be too expectant over graphics and quality of titles. If you couldn't run emulators I would be very upset. But who knows, there's a fair few games on the way.

october_midnight
06-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Alright cool. Emulators were one of the reasons, there are a ton of SNES games that I'd wanna play again...I do have a ton on my computer but would wanna play on my plasma tv haha...

liquidcalm
06-11-2013, 09:41 AM
I think alot of people were just expecting more. Expecting it to spew out graphics on par with a Samsung galaxy s3, which costs three times as much, is just asking for disappointment. But yeah. Emulators, streaming apps etc? In a neat little box for $99? Not too bad. Just not too great either.

GavinCollins420
06-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Star Wars Battlefront 3, Kingdom Hearts 3 and a new MGSV trailer. I need to lie the fuck down.

october_midnight
06-11-2013, 11:12 AM
My last (maybe, lol) rant on the whole console war.

To me I just don't see Sony making many advancements beyond graphical enhancements and pandering to the social media world, which they obviously made strides toward. They are still going to rely heavily on a physical disc which is fine for now, but what about 5 years from now. I think Microsoft is taking real chances (and weathering the stale internet heat) which may fail in the long run, but they are headed in the direction we should be headed. Sony is pandering to the basic human instinct that fears change. I mean they are apologizing for charging for access to multiplayer servers which is ridiculous. If you listen to Microsoft, they're talking about removing AI and replacing it with human simulated opponents, which if it can be mastered would be a huge step forward. Sony on the other hand focused on how powerful the machine is, that it's cheaper, etc. We all want innovation but when it is staring at us we say 'Wait that is not what I'm accustomed to'.

The $100 difference in my mind won't mean anything in a short while once games are streaming out. The PS3 and 360 had different price points...people cried...then soon forgot about it and like I said, it became ALL ABOUT THE GAMES. Which is what's probably going to happen here.

Wretchedest
06-11-2013, 01:40 PM
I agree that it comes down to games and Xbox absolutely has exclusives that i want.! Halo! Dead Rising! Fucking Killer Instinct! For Free!

But i disagree that xb1 is somehow more innovative or more substantial in terms of non game features. These consoles do the same things, and none of its much newer than current console features. XB1 does have the ability to be a sort of extra cable box.... *shrug*

The key differences, to take another whack at the horse, are those of ownership and control. PS4 gives me options including the option to forego disc base games btw. Xb1 decided for me. These may seem like silly gripes, but i think yhese issues really mean something. Do we own what we buy?

Also, surprised to see no one talking about Nintendo, who just revealed Smash Bros 4... among other things. I was hoping that i would be more swayed in their favor today, but it more of the same... Zelda remake, Mario something.... Pikmin looks great. When wii u comes down maybe ill get one. Also smash bros is on gameboy, which is a thing.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Nintendo's doing pretty aight so far! Definitely making me feel better about considering a Wii U in the future.

october_midnight
06-11-2013, 02:09 PM
An interesting note about the PS4. (http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/11/playstation-4-drm-policies-third-party/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget)

Wretchedest
06-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Thats a thing I guess, although publishers have the ability to do that right now, and they dont for the most part. Still sony is putting it on them and Xbox comes with this plan predecided.

SM Rollinger
06-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Im still leaning towards a PS4, as this "online once every 24 hours, otherwise i cant PLAY MY GAMES I FUCKING PAID FOR" bull from Micro$$$oft, really turns me off.

october_midnight
06-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Please don't bring back the console wars. (http://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/please-dont-bring-back-the-console-wars)

Best line: "Neither of these companies like you."

thelastdisciple
06-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Just read a tweet from Elias Toufexis (voice of Adam Jensen in Deus Ex), says he heard from someone that works at some place that's doing pre-orders and it's at least a 30 to 1 ratio of people asking for PS4 vs. the new Xbox. Of course that could be BS or a major exaggeration but i wouldn't be surprised to be honest.

It'll be interesting to see come launch/holidays just how many units Xbox will sell in comparison once we've zoomed out from all these pre-orders and what not.

october_midnight
06-11-2013, 04:53 PM
I'd say it's accurate. Social media knee jerk reactions are powerful. If Facebook and Twitter were, back in 07, what they are now...we'd have seen the exact same thing.

Jinsai
06-11-2013, 05:05 PM
the Xbox One will sell fine, at least in the US. At the end of the day, people want the kind of games they like. If they like Halo and Gears of War, they have to buy an Xbox for that, and they will. That's not me, but that's fine. I was more interested in Dead Rising 3 until I saw that they seem to have completely changed the atmosphere of the game.... and I was interested in Killer Instinct until I saw who was developing it.

I just hope Microsoft doesn't pull that same obnoxious strategy towards courting the Japanese market that they did in the early years of the 360. It doesn't work, and the end result is that a handful of good JRPGs and niche games go unplayed as Xbox 360 exclusives.

Space Suicide
06-11-2013, 05:07 PM
After consideration and hopefully by the end means of when release occurs, I am going to get an Xbox One.

Hula
06-11-2013, 05:35 PM
So with this free game deal Microsoft have going on, they seem to want us to keep our 360s...

...which fits perfectly with my plan of buying the PS4 and getting the Xbone at some point down the line when the price is low and the list of Xbox exclusives worth playing is long. I'm always genuinely surprised when people say they're going for the Xbone based on what we've been told. It's like they're saying 'Ah, sure, it can't be that bad! I'll give it a go, why not.'

Miss.Selfdestruct
06-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Just read a tweet from Elias Toufexis (voice of Adam Jensen in Deus Ex), says he heard from someone that works at some place that's doing pre-orders and it's at least a 30 to 1 ratio of people asking for PS4 vs. the new Xbox. Of course that could be BS or a major exaggeration but i wouldn't be surprised to be honest.

It'll be interesting to see come launch/holidays just how many units Xbox will sell in comparison once we've zoomed out from all these pre-orders and what not.
I'm sure Gamestop or whoever can see stats on pre-orders soon. But people can always flake.

Xbone, while not winning over many gamers' heart, has the potential of appealing to general consumers that are all about the newest TV box.

Wretchedest
06-11-2013, 07:11 PM
When I went to gamestop this morning for my PS4 the clerk indicated that it was overwhelmingly ps4 preorders.

Also: FF XV gameplay trailer is out. It looks fucking absolutely crazy. Can it actually play like that? We'll see...

Also: Infamous gameplay traier. It looks a lot like Infamous. Hard to tell to which degree the graphics have improved, but infamous 2 already had some pretty crazy graphics.

Space Suicide
06-11-2013, 08:06 PM
So with this free game deal Microsoft have going on, they seem to want us to keep our 360s...

...which fits perfectly with my plan of buying the PS4 and getting the Xbone at some point down the line when the price is low and the list of Xbox exclusives worth playing is long. I'm always genuinely surprised when people say they're going for the Xbone based on what we've been told. It's like they're saying 'Ah, sure, it can't be that bad! I'll give it a go, why not.'

I'm not a bandwagon jumper like half of these shallow people (I've read and seen elsewhere) and the exclusives for Xbox One fit my tastes more than what PS4 has to offer. Only games I was interested in was Killzone 4 and Kingdom Hearts 3.

Titanfall, Forza 5, Killer Instinct and Dead Rising 3 have me in the want for the Xbox One.

I'm not going to lie, Microsoft enacted some questionable things but people are blowing it way, WAYYYYYY out of proportion.

Wretchedest
06-11-2013, 08:33 PM
Good news for you! Kingdom Hearts will be on the Xbox!

That list of exclusives is pretty tempting I have to say. Titan Fall looked really rad, and I've long anticipated the return of Killer Instinct, a childhood favorite. (I suppose I could just emulate it...) Dead Rising 3, and of course, as an avid Halo player... Halo 5. Although I have to say Destiny is undercutting a lot of my interest in Halo 5

So you're right, to some extent, that Xbox has things. I doubt Microsoft's new policies would affect me much, if at all! So there's that. The principle of the thing REALLY does bother me, and I think you might be undervaluing your own ownership of things. There are a lot of people who WILL be affected by Microsofts policies. If there's anything to this capitalism thing, your money votes on these kinds of things. I don't want to vote for that right now.

And Sony's console is cheaper and slightly more powerful. Someday, when I'm shitting money, I'll get a Wii U and then maybe an Xbox. It's not something I don't want, it's just something that has a very potent alternative.

Clownboat
06-11-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm not a bandwagon jumper like half of these shallow people (I've read and seen elsewhere) and the exclusives for Xbox One fit my tastes more than what PS4 has to offer. Only games I was interested in was Killzone 4 and Kingdom Hearts 3.
Bandwagon jumpers? Dude, this is gaming, not a country allegiance. This is a $400-500 hobby at minimum, and where you choose to spend your money to gain the best value for yourself doesn't mean you "switch sides." Brand loyalty is silly, these companies don't care about us. It's why arguing over consoles is always kinda sad.

Space Suicide
06-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Bandwagon jumpers? Dude, this is gaming, not a country allegiance. This is a $400-500 hobby at minimum, and where you choose to spend your money to gain the best value for yourself doesn't mean you "switch sides." Brand loyalty is silly, these companies don't care about us. It's why arguing over consoles is always kinda sad.

I'm not arguing about which console is better but all of these articles everyone is jumping ship left and right because PS4 is 'the right choice' in a huge group mentality. Lots of idiots are on my Facebook feed talking about how they're for the PS4/Sony and how Xbox One is their bitch etc. I have seen so much straight up mediocre bashing for the Xbox One on every article everywhere. I say it as a bandwagon jump for the simple fact that now everyone seems to be doing it. Everyone in person I knew despised Sony's products but are now kissing it's ass because of this E3 show.

It all seems like mindless sheep on the opinion. I wish I could articulate my words better because I'm really not bitter or for one console or the other.

Wretchedest
06-11-2013, 10:25 PM
I would disagree that arguing about consoles is sad! I have a lot of fun with it, otherwise I wouldn't be here. The whole console wars thing is something like a metagame.

BrokenSpiral
06-11-2013, 10:43 PM
As a long time Playstation fan, it's nice to see Sony getting some respect with this release. I admit they handled the PS3 release poorly. It looks like they've really learned a lot from it (lower price point, more features) and I think they will be back on top.

The DRM is enough of a reason to not get the XB1, in my opinion.

Space Suicide
06-12-2013, 12:06 AM
One thing I miss about not owning Nintendo products is my ability to play Donkey Kong. The New Tropical Freeze game looks great. I couldn't even play Country Returns either.

nemesiswontdie
06-12-2013, 01:10 AM
So apparently, if you don't have an internet connection, you don't really need an Xbox One and should just stick to the 360.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxkEe_l7S3g

Full thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bTAKSBvuT-A

Hula
06-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Microsoft's Xbox division just basically sound like a kettle of douchebags in all of this. They say they're catering to everyone with a multimedia experience, and then they're alternately telling certain gamers not to bother with their new generation console? Eh.

Conan The Barbarian
06-12-2013, 03:12 PM
As a long time Playstation fan, it's nice to see Sony getting some respect with this release. I admit they handled the PS3 release poorly. It looks like they've really learned a lot from it (lower price point, more features) and I think they will be back on top.

The DRM is enough of a reason to not get the XB1, in my opinion.

Until a publishers decides to DRM your ps4 copy of its game.

Jinsai
06-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Until a publishers decides to DRM your ps4 copy of its game.

Where is this misinformation coming from? Sony is not providing ANY new DRM options for publishers that do not already currently exist. NOTHING. The options that will be open to publishers on the PS4 are the exact same ones that are currently in place on the PS3 and Xbox360.

october_midnight
06-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Uh ohhhh!!!! (http://www.edge-online.com/news/e3-2013-drm-free-ps4-is-a-pr-play-expect-similar-policies-across-both-consoles-say-sources/)

WorzelG
06-12-2013, 04:59 PM
If I was going to say Microsoft deserved to be slagged off for anything, it would be windows vista not console gaming. I still have a laptop with vista that I just haven't converted to windows 7 yet - IMO they should have given out windows 7 for free vista was so bad. But regards to gaming i've always had a playstation, just because I bought a ps1 in 1998 originally so then got ps2 / ps3 because I wanted to continue with the games, I also have steam and play games on pc. I guess xbox wasn't released until too late for me, if I got another console it would probably be a wii as I have 2 little boys and wii seems more child friendly - of course the boys might ask for an xbox when they get older - what is all this about checking in on you though? Normally it wouldn't matter as we have a good broadband connection - but we tend to turn the ps3 off at night and when not in use, could go for a few days without turning it on - why do they need to do that? What happens if you don't get verified in24 hours?

Jinsai
06-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Uh ohhhh!!!! (http://www.edge-online.com/news/e3-2013-drm-free-ps4-is-a-pr-play-expect-similar-policies-across-both-consoles-say-sources/)

And this sounds like bullshit. Unnamed sources "expecting" things, and implying that this was made at the very last minute... and yet, earlier in the month, Shuhei Yoshida tweeted a joke about how "DRM is coming to PS4" only to have it actually link to a game called "Death Ray Manta."

In the meantime, I'd believe official statements over unnamed sources and their rumors.

october_midnight
06-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Already been said that most will never know, it'll check in as soon as you fire it up. Turn it off, go away for three days, fire it up like normal...game on. People just aren't thinking. 99.9% of those whining about constant online connection LIVE ONLINE 24/7.

Vertigo
06-12-2013, 05:24 PM
If I was going to say Microsoft deserved to be slagged off for anything, it would be windows vista not console gaming. I still have a laptop with vista that I just haven't converted to windows 7 yet - IMO they should have given out windows 7 for free vista was so bad.

I never had a problem with Vista. Bit annoying that it ate up so many system resources, but hardware performance has been so far in advance of software demands since the last console generation that I never found it a major issue.

Wretchedest
06-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Already been said that most will never know, it'll check in as soon as you fire it up. Turn it off, go away for three days, fire it up like normal...game on. People just aren't thinking. 99.9% of those whining about constant online connection LIVE ONLINE 24/7.

But its also an ownership issue. Not a simple "can i connect?" Issue.

october_midnight
06-12-2013, 05:45 PM
I'm gonna buy the games and I'll own them. Not too much of an issue for me. Sony is playing the PR social media angle, and judging from the ratio of pre-orders it's pretty obvious that's what they did and it's working. The consoles will level off as the months/years progress. If people think the whole "FUCK THIS MAN, FUCK MICROSOFT...I'm going to r/gaming to make some more memes!" is gonna actually sink the Xbox One, they're probably not playing with a full deck. (I know the whole 'I buy games and I'll own them' part' is just my case but that's all I'm concerned with.) In the end, like I've said...it all comes down to games. Always has and most likely will for my lifetime anyways.

Space Suicide
06-12-2013, 06:02 PM
I'm gonna buy the games and I'll own them. Not too much of an issue for me. Sony is playing the PR social media angle, and judging from the ratio of pre-orders it's pretty obvious that's what they did and it's working. The consoles will level off as the months/years progress. If people think the whole "FUCK THIS MAN, FUCK MICROSOFT...I'm going to r/gaming to make some more memes!" is gonna actually sink the Xbox One, they're probably not playing with a full deck. (I know the whole 'I buy games and I'll own them' part' is just my case but that's all I'm concerned with.) In the end, like I've said...it all comes down to games. Always has and most likely will for my lifetime anyways.

Like I realized on Monday night, everyone is jumping ship left and right and going off the handle to the most heightened extremes with negativity for the Xbox One and high, undeserved praise for the PS4. Both consoles will be good and offer the same things in the long run, different practices are the only issue and some are blown up huge a mile wide.

I find the gifs, memes, jokes and ignorant comments as childish garbage at face value.

Hula
06-12-2013, 06:44 PM

'Our contacts described Sony’s conference announcements as a PR play, and revealed that its decision to go DRM-free was made at the very last minute.'

Well duhhhhhhhhhh :p

Wretchedest
06-12-2013, 08:07 PM

But you'll own them in a depreciated way. You will own those games in less of a way than you own a modern day game, like Tomb Raider. Your ownership is starting to become at there mercy in this new, grey area. That grey area could become deeper in the future, too.

And I get that Publishers have the option of doing it on the PS4 as well, but they have the option of doing it on the PS3 and the 360 too. And they don't. We'll see how it all plays out, but the fact the Microsoft made the decision for it's publishers is not something to be played down.

also, I wouldn't play down the impact of social media. I've seen many of my friends who are not serious gamers express that they'll go PS4 because of this. The news has quite a bit of momentum, and it appears to be making an impact in the store front.

Space Suicide
06-12-2013, 11:31 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/dc05872d2d29d9ab94292c9c44b15696/tumblr_mo6yx8tlpU1sohme4o1_500.png

Jinsai
06-12-2013, 11:47 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/dc05872d2d29d9ab94292c9c44b15696/tumblr_mo6yx8tlpU1sohme4o1_500.png

Why haven't I heard anything about Persona 5?

If it's on the show floor then someone should at least be able to say what console it's coming out on, though I'm expecting it to be PS3/360

littlemonkey613
06-13-2013, 12:06 AM
My dad works at the LA Convention Center part time and gave me his work polo today like "want to go to a entertainment convention? Put this on and act natural". I get inside and its E fucking 3. I had a great day.

Wretchedest
06-13-2013, 12:35 AM
My guess is that they probably did show Red Dead and Persona but during closed doors events...

Rabbit
06-13-2013, 12:49 AM
And this sounds like bullshit. Unnamed sources "expecting" things, and implying that this was made at the very last minute... and yet, earlier in the month, Shuhei Yoshida tweeted a joke about how "DRM is coming to PS4" only to have it actually link to a game called "Death Ray Manta."

In the meantime, I'd believe official statements over unnamed sources and their rumors.

Right, right. It's the same stuff i've been hearing for months now so it is very believable to me. Sony has been smoke and mirrors at almost every E3 why would they be different this time? That little funny video about sharing games... you think that was created when? Last year? Come on. They're taking a PR opportunity and running with it.

nemesiswontdie
06-13-2013, 01:35 AM

Fuck Red Dead. I WANNA SEE PERSONA 5!

Wretchedest
06-13-2013, 01:41 AM
Right, right. It's the same stuff i've been hearing for months now so it is very believable to me. Sony has been smoke and mirrors at almost every E3 why would they be different this time? That little funny video about sharing games... you think that was created when? Last year? Come on. They're taking a PR opportunity and running with it.

I keep hearing this "oh, they don't care about you, it's just a PR stunt!"

I don't care what their motivation is! or when the decision was made: they made the right decision and that's what counts.

liquidcalm
06-13-2013, 02:21 AM
All the statements Sony have put out since (through interviews and PR) seem to read like this:

DRM: We are not putting DRM (ie tying physical content to an account) on our games. Third parties can.
Used games: If you put any disc in the Ps4 it will play. However third party publishers can restrict online interactions with online passes. Also if it is an MMO etc you will need an account etc.

So the same as PS3, but remember Sony now wants PSN+ to play online anyway so there is their funding stream. Plus any content downloaded digitally with still only be active on a max of 2 consoles (their current policy).

Jinsai
06-13-2013, 03:07 AM
All the statements Sony have put out since (through interviews and PR) seem to read like this:

DRM: We are not putting DRM (ie tying physical content to an account) on our games. Third parties can.

Not exactly, and since people have asked them to clarify, they have. The DRM that third parties can implement is related to online passes, which is exactly what's happening now. The only way this would be a comparable restriction would be if the game really had no single player mode, or if the multiplayer was the central focus.

stuff

As others have said, I don't care why Sony is making the decision that panders towards what I want. I don't care if they changed their minds ten seconds before they got on stage. Who cares? The decision has been publicly announced, and there will be a huge backlash if they change their stance now. So they won't.

Also, I have a strong internet connection that's never gone down. I still think the idea of having to check in every 24 hours to prove I'm not a thief is stupid. I'll tolerate that from expensive professional software, not a goddamn video game system.

liquidcalm
06-13-2013, 08:03 AM
Not exactly, and since people have asked them to clarify, they have. The DRM that third parties can implement is related to online passes, which is exactly what's happening now. The only way this would be a comparable restriction would be if the game really had no single player mode, or if the multiplayer was the central focus.

As others have said, I don't care why Sony is making the decision that panders towards what I want. I don't care if they changed their minds ten seconds before they got on stage. Who cares? The decision has been publicly announced, and there will be a huge backlash if they change their stance now. So they won't.

Also, I have a strong internet connection that's never gone down. I still think the idea of having to check in every 24 hours to prove I'm not a thief is stupid. I'll tolerate that from expensive professional software, not a goddamn video game system.

I think they've gotten a little tongue tied with drm as you could buy a mmo which requires a subscription in the store, use the code or whatever, then yeah, if you sold the disc on, it is useless without an additional purchase.
So technically that *is* a way of making a used game useless. But yeah like you say, single player etc should be just fine.
After reading about this for a few days, I'm pretty sure come Xmas most games will not have any drm on either console, as ms stated publishers don't have to get involved... For now at least.

Space Suicide
06-13-2013, 08:40 AM
I'm pretty sure come Xmas most games will not have any drm on either console, as ms stated publishers don't have to get involved... For now at least.

Which is why I don't know why people are jumping the gun about Xbox One blocking used games ASAP.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-13-2013, 05:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39TUFxSGtYE&feature=youtu.be

dominik
06-16-2013, 07:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWJD8DMasCU

This is so cool.

Hula
06-16-2013, 07:26 AM

This is so cool.

Goddamn. In the preview of the video it looks like a frickin' photograph.

dominik
06-16-2013, 07:33 AM
Yeah, in the beginning I thought it's a rendered video until the guy just started to play :D Amazing. And it's an MMO, which makes it even cooler.

Hyperpower
06-16-2013, 07:43 PM
okay, set the console bs aside for a minute.
has anyone seen/heard anything about Half Life 3 at E3?

im interested in what approach they will be taking with the next game in this series.

nemesiswontdie
06-17-2013, 01:55 AM
okay, set the console bs aside for a minute.
has anyone seen/heard anything about Half Life 3 at E3?

im interested in what approach they will be taking with the next game in this series.

I didn't hear anything about HL3. I doubt we'll hear anything about it for awhile.

Wretchedest
06-17-2013, 02:15 AM

This is so cool.

I just finished the Last of Us, which makes for a great graphical comparison. The Division looks PHENOMENAL compared those already stellar looks. Gameplay looks fun too.

liquidcalm
06-17-2013, 02:17 AM
I didn't hear anything about HL3. I doubt we'll hear anything about it for awhile.
No Valve news at all.. which is odd as they seeming had been pushing for their Steam boxes this year. Didn't their hardware designer also leave? Maybe they just wanted to avoid all the PS4-X1 coverage and do something on their own but its odd to not hear anything at all.

Vertigo
06-17-2013, 02:32 AM
Well, something is coming at Valve, because we know they're working on Source 2. The engine won't be unveiled without a game to demonstrate it.. and what better showpiece than Half Life?

Hyperpower
06-17-2013, 03:15 AM
Well, something is coming at Valve, because we know they're working on Source 2. The engine won't be unveiled without a game to demonstrate it.. and what better showpiece than Half Life?

exactly.
just doesn't make sense not to unveil a game (with a new engine) that is the staple of your company.
i guess we will just have to wait.

and about this Steam box or whatever its called, not sure why Valve is entering the console market, they are doing alright with Steam and all the games under them right? hm...

Tums206_BFY
06-17-2013, 12:38 PM
God Damn The Division looks really good...... Ubisoft has some nice games coming out for the new systems, this along with Watchdogs (I don't play AC so it is not a big deal to me). Anyways this will def be on my list of games to get.

nemesiswontdie
06-17-2013, 12:55 PM
God Damn The Division looks really good...... Ubisoft has some nice games coming out for the new systems, this along with Watchdogs (I don't play AC so it is not a big deal to me). Anyways this will def be on my list of games to get.

They showed off The Division right when I turned off the Ubisoft conference. Is it just me or do they always put on the most boring fucking conferences?

At least the chick hosting it was hot.

Wretchedest
06-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Yeah, it was way boring. They spent a lot of time showing not gameplay. I thought the host was really annoying, loaded with those cringe worthy force fed one-liners. I turned the vloume off.

That racing MMO looked cool too, if your in to that sort of thing, which im not. But it still looked interesting.

And the Division looked like one of the best new reveals at the show. Overall ubisoft showed good games, its just that the presentation was lacking.

Hyperpower
06-20-2013, 11:53 PM
Also, I have a strong internet connection that's never gone down

okay theres something i gotta say about this and i really wish i had the opportunity to say it in front of all of the major game developers.
i really don't care how strong or weak my internet connection is, i do care to have the option to turn off internet capabilities because there are times i just don't want to be online regardless of whatever and it bothers me when someone or something is forcing me to be online to play a game.
yes i realize more and more content is online based and more and more often i choose to play the games that i do not need an internet connection to and im sure theres people out there who feel the same way.
not everything is about online content, a downloadable pak etc.

and for the record, there are times when my internet connection is down, and to these developers, what then? give people options so when their connection is not working, they can still play what they bought.

Jinsai
06-21-2013, 12:03 AM
okay theres something i gotta say about this and i really wish i had the opportunity to say it in front of all of the major game developers.
i really don't care how strong or weak my internet connection is, i do care to have the option to turn off internet capabilities because there are times i just don't want to be online regardless of whatever and it bothers me when someone or something is forcing me to be online to play a game.
yes i realize more and more content is online based and more and more often i choose to play the games that i do not need an internet connection to and im sure theres people out there who feel the same way.
not everything is about online content, a downloadable pak etc.

and for the record, there are times when my internet connection is down, and to these developers, what then? give people options so when their connection is not working, they can still play what they bought.

Well, this is mostly a non-point now that they've rescinded their policies about internet check ups. I agree though, to a point... even though they were trying to give people the option to use their tethered smartphone for the DRM check.

I'm curious though. Has anyone gotten a word from MS about why they've abandoned a bunch of things they were promising which would not be hindered in any way by a lack of DRM? Has anyone even tried to ask them?

liquidcalm
06-21-2013, 02:35 AM
most of their 'family sharing' and 'online game collection' hinged on that you had to install the game to the XBone. Then the disc was useless. I'm not sure how the tech works, if there is a code in the box with the game, but they did patent a small chip that sits on the disc that says if it is used or not. It is certainly something deeper than what we are used to as to turn it off requires a day-one patch for the console.. Either way, these policies and features to move your full games around require the full games to be locked to accounts, otherwise one disk could give hundreds of people access to all the games.
Take away the DRM and then that feature has to go.

The family sharing and online library was a good idea, I don't think anyone argued against it. Theres no reason it can't work with digital content, but hey.
It's a big win for Xbox consumers. Me personally couldn't give a damn, I don't trust Microsoft as far as I can throw em. Their policies across the board are anti-ownership and anti-consumer, everything from the Windows App store, Windows 8's interface to their new server licensing models to Office 365. The Xbox was in line with those. People were saying the messaging wasn't clear on the Xbox, but it was. It was saying 'We are doubling down on your right to keep, own and use OUR software'. Like they are doing us a favour.

BUT they have backed down. Not that they would have if PS4 was doing the same. None of this shit will matter to most consumers and the negative press will be behind them in time for launch. They have some strong titles on show, at least even if not better than the PS4's line up. I'm not buying it but I won't be jealous of the people that do, I just don't want to live in Microsoft's filter bubble (image used for effect not accuracy)
http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/science/assets_c/2013/06/binggoogle-thumb-570x232-124806.jpg

Wretchedest
06-21-2013, 02:53 AM
You know what was cool in this E3? New, original games. Sequels were a minority. It was cool.

Madmya
06-21-2013, 09:43 AM
most of their 'family sharing' and 'online game collection' hinged on that you had to install the game to the XBone. Then the disc was useless. I'm not sure how the tech works, if there is a code in the box with the game, but they did patent a small chip that sits on the disc that says if it is used or not. It is certainly something deeper than what we are used to as to turn it off requires a day-one patch for the console.. Either way, these policies and features to move your full games around require the full games to be locked to accounts, otherwise one disk could give hundreds of people access to all the games.
Take away the DRM and then that feature has to go.

The family sharing and online library was a good idea, I don't think anyone argued against it. Theres no reason it can't work with digital content, but hey.
It's a big win for Xbox consumers. Me personally couldn't give a damn, I don't trust Microsoft as far as I can throw em. Their policies across the board are anti-ownership and anti-consumer, everything from the Windows App store, Windows 8's interface to their new server licensing models to Office 365. The Xbox was in line with those. People were saying the messaging wasn't clear on the Xbox, but it was. It was saying 'We are doubling down on your right to keep, own and use OUR software'. Like they are doing us a favour.

BUT they have backed down. Not that they would have if PS4 was doing the same. None of this shit will matter to most consumers and the negative press will be behind them in time for launch. They have some strong titles on show, at least even if not better than the PS4's line up. I'm not buying it but I won't be jealous of the people that do, I just don't want to live in Microsoft's filter bubble (image used for effect not accuracy)
http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/science/assets_c/2013/06/binggoogle-thumb-570x232-124806.jpg
Sorry to break it to you, but it is Sony that has the patent that renders a disc useless if you try to use it on another console. Shock! Horror!

liquidcalm
06-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Sorry to break it to you, but it is Sony that has the patent that renders a disc useless if you try to use it on another console. Shock! Horror!

Yup, that's right, knew it was one of them. Ms's drm scheme patents were the ones around the number of users monitored via kinetic or something. Not that it matters as they have backed down so I guess we'll never really know exactly how it was going to work beyond the idea of tying content to an account. Curious though. I guess a disc could have a writable section that its burnt onto saying if it was used or not?

bring back cartridges!

Space Suicide
06-29-2013, 10:52 AM
Funny enough to share

http://25.media.tumblr.com/ffaa12c13a7dbd8cfe973b9a5dc09c5d/tumblr_mok53vrQHw1qih8e7o3_500.png
http://24.media.tumblr.com/8e738cbe7b56f6ed6a3fda9d055cdc67/tumblr_mok53vrQHw1qih8e7o1_500.png
http://25.media.tumblr.com/a4afd8542a55dac4243d53f0f765d386/tumblr_mok53vrQHw1qih8e7o2_500.png

october_midnight
06-30-2013, 01:52 PM
Kinda unrelated, but still fascinating: Are the PS4 and Xbox One really that expensive? (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/are-the-ps4-and-xbox-one-really-that-expensive-historically/)

The chart showing the cost in today's 'dollars' is a killer. Fuck me the 3DO and Neo Geo were expensive as fuck. Like six bills back in 1991? God damn.

liquidcalm
06-30-2013, 05:03 PM
I do find anyone saying games are too expensive these days to mostly be full of crap, they have gotten a lot cheaper, and we demand so much more value for our money.
Games are still pretty expensive as a one off purchase, but buying a new release game is like paying to go to the cinema, you pay a premium to see/play it first. Games are a hell of a lot cheaper that movies too.. Last of Us took me 18 hours to finish which is what, £3 an hour? its £9 to go see a 2d movie here for 2 hours.

Consoles have to launch at super competitive prices or they will just get buried (look what happened to the 3DO, Neo Geo, n64 and ps3). Both ps4 and xb1 are at decent 'at launch' points. I'm curious as to how fast we are going to see the prices come down, as a new Ps3 or 360 is still sitting at around £200 for a decent model.