PDA

View Full Version : The Place Beyond the Pines

Reznor2112
03-27-2013, 08:37 AM
No idea why there isnt a thread on this.
Movie looks amazing.

Directed by Derek Cianfrance (Director of Blue Valentine) Score by MIKE PATTON (see below)
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/3/22/1363954781936/Extra-The-Place-Beyond-th-008.jpg

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G07pSbHLXgg

Advance stream of MIKE PATTON's new score for the film:
http://pitchfork.com/advance/53-the-place-between-the-pines/

NIN64
03-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Not only was this filmed where I live, but the story actually takes place where I grew up. Everyone I know is super excited for this to come out.

sentient02970
04-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Opening scene:
http://youtu.be/ZLI1Zz_x3jg

ibanez33
04-12-2013, 02:36 AM
Oh man, I saw a trailer for this quite a while ago and had completely forgotten about it until now. That opening scene already has me excited, might have to check it out this weekend!

NIN64
04-12-2013, 01:14 PM
Just saw it this morning. It was excellent.

thelastdisciple
04-12-2013, 11:29 PM
I just got back from seeing it tonight...

Went with my Dad who definitely didn't take a fancy to it, he was pretty bored and wanted to see Olympus Has Fallen instead, he's more of an action guy and less of a drama/psychological one.

Unfortunately i too didn't really think this was an amazing movie by any means at least not like all the glowing reviews I've been seeing come up, i mean i wasn't bored but i wouldn't call it a favorite... probably a 6.5/10 if i had to rate it. I really dug the opening sequence the most and the cinematography throughout the film, the acting was good, I think i was just caught off guard by the mood of the film and just how much of a shift this movie took from it's first act to it's second and then to it's third and quite literally this was almost three films in one i found...not in a Cloud Atlas way though, a lot less jumbled. I did find certain parts a bit draggy and slow though... could have been part of the vibe though.

For the first good while you spend time with this one point of view and then you're thrown into another and then some others later on. A very interesting turn of events that's for sure.

Good enough to watch it again? yeah i think it's totally worth another viewing and maybe I'll feel a bit different about it, can't say my Dad would say the same though that's for sure lmao.

I"ll say this though I was definitely not expecting Ryan Gosling's character to be killed off and absent from most of the film, i thought the getaway would have lasted a bit longer and there would have been more of a cat and mouse thing with Bradley Cooper.

thefragile_jake
04-14-2013, 03:52 PM
I really, really enjoyed it. Nice blend of everything and the three chapter scenario works out to it's advantage. Sure, it's a bit lengthy and I felt it dragged a tad towards the beginning towards the third act...but it eventually picks up and ties everything back together once again. Solid 8 out of 10 for me for sure.

sentient02970
04-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Saw it today. I really enjoyed the drama and efforts in this. Worth a try.

eversonpoe
04-28-2013, 11:51 AM
how was the music?

thevoid99
04-28-2013, 01:17 PM
I just saw it earlier today (review to be posted later in the day) as I thought it was really damn good film. Mike Patton's score is amazing as is the soundtrack. Ryan Gosling knocks it out of the park as usual while Bradley Cooper proves that he's a damn good actor once you ignore those Hangover films.

Edit: Here is that review: http://thevoid99.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-place-beyond-pines.html

eversonpoe
05-10-2013, 08:21 AM
saw it yesterday. it definitely wasn't quite what i was expecting. i don't know if i've ever seen a movie that switches (character) focus so many times while still moving forward and remaining true to the main storyline. it was really interesting, but it definitely felt as long as it was.

the music was obviously fantastic and i'm glad i saw it in a theater. i think my only complaint was the cinematography at certain points, as with a lot of "action" sequences these days, where they use a low shutter speed so everything is really jittery...gives me a headache...

thelastdisciple
05-10-2013, 07:12 PM
The carnival scene at the beginning of the film is absolutely gorgeous.

GoodSoldier333
05-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Great film Got REALLY sad towards the end. Loved the unexpected switch of story-telling/perspective. Caught me off guard. Bear in mind that the only reason it worked (I mean, you're pushing aside Ryan Gosling here) was because Bradley Cooper did a stellar job with the second half. And then if you zoom-out even more, as much as the audience starts missing Gosling right away, Bradley's character does also...immediately switching the audience's sympathy from Gosling to Bradley. The writer/director certainly got us in that respect.

bobbie solo
05-13-2013, 01:51 AM
started off great. all the coincidental characters meet-ups later in life were really forced and unbelievable. took me right out of the movie.

sa_nick
05-14-2013, 07:22 AM
I didn't think the meet up was too forced, but I guess I'm still unsure how Avery Jr became such a fucking douche with his hip hop/rap shit. Like Jason said, he seemed like he wasn't from anywhere around there.

Also, I love how the U.S. has finally caught onto Ben Mendelsohn. The previous little known Aussie actor gave some great performances in local films and recently I've seen him in shit like Dark Knight Rises, Killing Them Softly, Killer Ellite and now Place Beyond the Pines. Gosling obviously liked working with him because he's cast him in his directorial debut, How To Catch A Monster.

Overall I dug the film as I thought I would but Blue Valentine (also directed by Derek Cianfrance and staring Gosling) had a bigger emotional impact and just stayed with you longer after you'd seen it. Anyone who hasn't seen it should check it out.

Clownboat
05-14-2013, 08:12 AM
I really liked this movie. I want to go see it again, in fact.

^^ @sa_nick (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=255) With Avery Jr, it's probably just a symptom of being a teen in a boring area. I'm from a tiny, tiny town in countryside Ohio, and you'd better believe we had kids acting just like him despite being surrounded by nothing but cows and factories. Youth, man. I found it pretty believable.

NIN64
05-14-2013, 08:27 AM
I really liked this movie. I want to go see it again, in fact.

^^ @sa_nick (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=255) With Avery Jr, it's probably just a symptom of being a teen in a boring area. I'm from a tiny, tiny town in countryside Ohio, and you'd better believe we had kids acting just like him despite being surrounded by nothing but cows and factories. Youth, man. I found it pretty believable.

I can attest to this. I grew up in Schenectady in the 90's, and 00's; (my wife went to the high school featured in the film). The representation of Avery Jr.'s character is 100% accurate. There were plenty of poser douches just like that kid when I was growing up. . .

Reznor2112
05-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Just saw this, and surprisingly I felt Patton's score did not fit at all. Random guitar chords in awkward places. It felt like they tried to hard to make a basic drama be "indie" and different

sa_nick
05-15-2013, 12:48 AM
I can attest to this. I grew up in Schenectady in the 90's, and 00's; (my wife went to the high school featured in the film). The representation of Avery Jr.'s character is 100% accurate. There were plenty of poser douches just like that kid when I was growing up. . .

*shudders

Sounds terrible.

onthewall2983
01-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Had some admirable qualities and a couple edge-of-seat moments for me, but I'm not sure it's something I think will improve upon repeat viewings. I agree about Mendelsohn. I couldn't quite figure out who he was in some of the movies mentioned above until I bothered going to his imdb page finally.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
01-12-2014, 11:51 AM
I loved this movie. I tend to go on rottentomatoes and look up random movies I have never heard of, or movies that have a limited release and this movie blew me away. I had no idea what I was in store for, and completely forgetting that Bradley Cooper was in the film.. The whole movie was a nice surprise. Was kind of bummed that Goslings character was not around as long I as I would have liked him to be, but as the story goes on it makes sense.