PDA

View Full Version : "TWENTY THIRTEEN" Taper's Section

NotoriousTIMP
03-10-2013, 04:02 AM
With all this talk of HTDA/NIN touring this yea, I figured I would dust off the old recording gear and get myself prep'd for another around bootlegging. :) I also thought we could benefit from creating a Taper's Guild 2.0 and coordinate a list like last time around so we know what shows will be recorded and from how many sources.

Since ETS has changed so much since the first round of WITH_TEETH shows, I know a good portion of the original tapers who documented the 2005-2009 era of NIN are no longer around these parts. I thought posting up a 'how to' on stealth recording might be a good way to get new members interested in recording the upcoming tour. Below is a great walk-through on how to sneak gear in and properly record a show.....

STEALTH RECORDING 'HOW TO'

There are a lot of people that aspire to tape/record upcoming concerts. The
problem of course is that you're not sure how to approach it. Right? Well here it is: a how-to of taping.

Most of the information presented here is from a discussion that occurred on ams-p in June of 2000, with bits an pieces thrown in on an ad hoc basis. Here are some of the answers that you may seek:

1) How do you get the deck into the venue?

Between the legs. That's the only place they -definitely- won't pat you down, unless you make some custom props (tall shoes, etc.). Some venues won't let you bring in bags, some venues won't even let you have a chain on your wallet or a ball-point pen. But for the most part, tapers agree that by using this method it is unlikely that you'll get caught. Even with an ultimate frisk (arms, legs, back, front (they occasionally even check cleavage in the girls' line)), or the "take -everything- out of your pockets" pat-downs, the hide-in-the-crotch technique works great.

2) How do I stuff the deck and accessories down my pants without it all falling out?

The secret? Get 2 pairs of boxer briefs (which you put over your normal everyday underwear, unless it's just for one show & you have a chance to wash them), & either sew or safety-pin them together around the legs well enough so that nothing slips through. Coil up the mics, bundle them next to the battery box, stick it all on top of your deck, & shove it all right down there, underneath "everything", between the two layers of boxers. Do -not- shove it right in front, make sure its right between your legs. If you shove it in the front, there is a large risk of getting caught. With the deck between the legs, even if they go for the completely thorough pat-up-the-legs, it'll be high enough that they'll stop before hitting the equipment (your own, and the machinery). They won't hit anything patting around the front pockets, and if they've got metal detector wands, it won't get close enough to the machinery to make a sound unless they stick the wand -right- between your legs, in which case you're probably screwed anyway.

3) I got caught before I got in! What now?

Don't panic. Despite what the door attendants may tell you, they have -no legal right- to take away your equipment. They'll probably try to scare you and make you give it up, but stand your ground and just quietly walk back to your car, or far enough away so that you can 'adjust' without drawing suspicion, & put everything somewhere else where they're -not- checking. If you're going to try to get in again, make sure you pick a different lineup: you don't want the same attendant frisking you again! If however you're worried about getting caught again and not being allowed into the venue, then just put the equipment in the -trunk- of your car. Don't want to get it stolen do we?

4) Can the bouncers/venue legally take my equipment away from me?

No! No matter what, no one is allowed to confiscate your equipment. If you get caught before getting into the venue (see #3) then just put the equipment back in your car and enjoy the show. If however, you get caught inside taping, it is best to give the bouncer the tape if they ask for it and to quietly continue watching the show without making a fuss; no point losing your tape -and-getting kicked out. They may kick you out anyway, but that is their prerogative.

5) Ok. I'm in the show, but now what?

Obviously we've got to set up the equipment before we can record. (Special note: recording with the mics wound up and placed in the crotch area will not produce high quality results :-) The best place to go is to a bathroom stall and pull it all out and set it up (see the next sections for placement etc).

4) Where do I put the mics?

Waist-level is a bad idea- theoretically, you should place them as high aspossible. You want to get the mics above the crowd so that the people that are behind and beside you won't scream directly into the mics. Here are the methods in order of preference and quality of recording (A is best):

Option A: On a pair of glassesIf you've got long enough hair, one of the best things to do is clip them to the arms of your glasses, right over your ears, & let your hair cover them completely from view. If you don't wear glasses, go to the local eye-shop and get a pair of safety glasses that look like normal glasses (ie: don't get a pair that -obviously- don't look like normal glasses). All that should be visible are the wires going down the back of your neck, which will just look like a string to keep your glasses from falling. With a collared shirt (or longer hair), you won't even be able to see them at all.

Option B: On a baseball cap/hatClip the mics to the sides of your cap, near the ears. While this one is likely to produce recording just as nice as Option 1, it is more likely that you will get caught since the mice are clearly visible on the outside of the cap. A general note with the use of this technique is that it has been rumored that some venues -look- for people with hats. So tread lightly when using this method and stay out of the bouncers' way.

Option C: On the collar of your collared shirtClip the mics on the collar of your shirt. You'd likely want to have one on each side of your neck. This technique is frowned upon by many tapers because the sound tends to be slightly muffled at that level and it is quite likely that people will scream right into the mics. If you are close to the speaker stacks, however, this technique might work nicely if you point the mics directly at them.

5) The mics are in place, but I feel very uncomfortable and I probably look like I'm guilty just standing there. What do I do?

Easier said than done, but just try to look 'natural', bob your head a bit so you're not just standing there like a stiff, & enjoy the show. You don't want to be jumping around like a maniac because you mics will catch every bounce, but you don't want to stand there motionless because that -is- suspicious.

6) The tape is almost run out and/or I need to adjust the input levels. What do I do?

The best thing to do is to -practice- taking out and reinserting the tape/DAT/minidisk before you go to the venue. Many people have been caught because they make it obvious that they're changing the tape or adjusting the levels. The idea is that you don't want to look down to your feet. Do everything while continuing to look forward and acting 'normal'. Keep your tapes in you pocket readily available and easily accessible.

One of the most important tips is to monitor how much time you have until the end of the tape. Use a watch. If you know that there is 60 minutes of recording time on a tape (I'm talking DAT here, in particular) and the band is finishing up a song at 55 minutes, change the tape -before- they start the next song.

Other notes:
- In general, the more spacing between the mics, the better the stereo recording (as opposed to mono that is).
- Avoid adjusting the position of the mics during the show. You -will- hear it n the tape afterwards, and as many traders know, this can be really annoying.
- If you have someone else with you, have them keep watch for security when you need to check the input levels on the deck, & use them as a human buffer from the loud & obnoxious people you'll invariably end up next to, as you try to move away from them.
- Do not talk while you are recording. Your voice will be registered on the recording before anything else.

====================================
RECORDING DECKS

Next up is gear. I used to use the Mini Disc option back in 2005 but those have since become way outdated. If you're looking for a super cheap option, then I would look at these first. All of my recordings came from the following deck which was a breeze to use while standing in front of the mixing desk each night. The one bad thing about this option is the fact that MDs only held 60min of music. This means you have to do a 'Disc Swap' which usually results with a song getting cut due to the time it takes to swap a disc and get the MD recorder queued up to record again.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/tumblr_lu9k5qeJSg1qz8113o1_500_zpsf0cf75e5.jpg

You can find this deck (any many other MD recorders on ebay) for next to nothing by clicking HERE (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=MD-MT15&_sacat=0&_from=R40).DAT Recorders are known to produce the best sound. I plan on going this route with the upcoming shows even though these too are discontinued. You can get a decently working deck for around $100-150 which is way cheaper than the $400-600 that they used to go for back in 2005/2006. DATs (Digital Audio Tape) hold up to 120 minutes of music which usually more than enough time to record an entire concert! Below is a photo of the deck I plan on scooping up if I can find one for a decent price.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/tcd-d7_zpsbe9b91f5.jpg

Lastly, DARs seem to have replaced DATs but I don't know the differences between the two first hand. DARs (Digital Audio Recorder) record directly to a SD card. In theory, this should offer a quicker way to transfer your audio recording to your computer since you don't have to play the recording back in real time. From a quick google search, it seems like the ZOOM H4n has been very popular and is priced roughly around $239.99 (http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Handy-Portable-Digital-Recorder/dp/B001QWBM62/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1306420519&sr=1-1).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/41QfXIufH1L_zps3c69bb88.jpg

================================================== ====================
MICROPHONES

This section will impact your record just as much as the deck itself. Something you want to look at when selecting a set of microphones is size and quality. Since there are sooooo many different types of microphone setups out there, I will more or less just talk about the various options that I personally look for when selecting a set. The most important thing to look for is a bass roll off feature. This will help keep the low end leveled out so you don't get whats called "bass overload" - basically it means you're less likely to experience distortion from too much bass. Team this up with a good set of binaural microphones and you should be all set. Does anyone have any brand names to recommend for this section? Thats pretty much it. If there is anything else that needs to be added to this write up just let me know and I'll update as we go along.

Hazekiah
03-10-2013, 05:37 AM
Not too shabby.

But that shit about crotching is kind of a problem.

If you opt to go "between the legs" then you're really placing too much faith in the hopes that some grabby security douchebag won't just pat down your upper thigh and catch you.

In my experience, it's FAR safer to go with a "tranny-tuck" for your c0ck and then to use all that freed-up space up front for your gear instead. There's a chance they might feel up your thighs but there's no way in hell some musclebound security fuck is gonna go straight for your crotch. Plus, no metal-detector wand gives a shit if the metal's up high or down low, it's gonna go off regardless. Except most gear doesn't have significant enough quantities of metal these days anyway so it's kinda beside the point. But still. At least if it goes off closer to your belt buckle then you've managed to maintain plausible deniability.

And the double/triple-boxers are silly, too. Just get a pair of nice, tight bikini briefs and you're set. I don't like 'em any more than you do, but they get the job DONE, damnit. Everything's held in place and there's no need to hire a seamstress or worry about gear slipping down your leg on the way up to the head of the line. While we're at it, though...put your gear in a plastic baggie first. If it's an outdoor summer show or an indoor winter show, either way it's not a good idea to keep your expensive electronic devices somewhere that warm and sweaty for as long as it takes to sneak it inside WITHOUT any kind of barrier. Just sayin'!

Also, the OP is kinda limited to audio-only devices.

It's far better to go for something that at least has the OPTION of recording video, too. If you're too exposed or nervous then you can at least snag some audio, but if you wind up in a good spot then you've got the option of shooting some great video on top of that. You can get some pretty seriously good gear, HD video with sweet audio, for about what a MiniDisc recorder alone used to cost so it's pretty much a no-brainer if you've got at least two or three hundred bucks to invest.

For that matter, there are PLENTY of models out there that look a HELL of a lot like cellphones. Chances are you'll be buried in a sea of cellphones anyway so the more your gear looks just like all the others the better. Nine times out of ten, when I've been caught filming it's because I'm waving a camcorder around and that got me singled out. Nevermind the fact that I'm using antiquated analogue gear while everyone around me is filming in HD with their iPhones that put my video resolution to shame, the neanderthal minds of lunkheaded security workers aren't prepared to make such blatantly obvious distinctions.

But w/e, hopefully Trent Reznor's seen the light and will helpfully continue his earlier Open Taping policy and none of this will be an issue anyway.

:)

SM Rollinger
03-10-2013, 07:31 AM
This reminds me of when i first started taping shows. Good beginners info for sure. Man, i was sooooooo nervous the first time i snuck my rig into a show! hahah

But the technique i use is just tucking everything into my belt line, i have a specific pair of pants i wear for this. As far as actual recording goes, i find i have best luck with seats that are as close to dead center as possible. If you can get into a balcony of sorts, thats gona be your best bet, since you will be above whats generally the noisest part of the crowd (general admission.)

Anyways, I agree with the idea if a tapers guild would be a good idea so we can coordinate taping and stuff. Ill be taping for sure and hope to hit at least two shows (ill know how feesable this is once dates are announced.)

edit:as far as set up, i "upgraded" to a tascam dr05 recorder a about a year or so ago. for mics, i honestly dont know they dont have any sort of branding info on them. they give me good sound and if its not broke, i dont fix it. i inheareted them from a friend that got me into bootlegging, along with a sony md recorder (thats since failed and been replaced with the tascam.)

also, the tascam can be gotten for less than a hundred bucks these days, if you look around. its a good recorder for beginners and id reccomend it if your at all interested in trying this out for yourself.

sick among the pure
03-10-2013, 08:49 AM
Not too shabby.

But that shit about crotching is kind of a problem.

If you opt to go "between the legs" then you're really placing too much faith in the hopes that some grabby security douchebag won't just pat down your upper thigh and catch you.

In my experience, it's FAR safer to go with a "tranny-tuck" :| Well then... not getting into that...

for your c0ck and then to use all that freed-up space up front for your gear instead.

I actually found when I snuck a small camera into a summer WT show, that "crotching" equipment is possibly the best way to get it in, so long as it's small enough to actually fit in that area and not be suspicious.
What I actually did was wear 2 pairs of underwear, put the camera in a sandwich baggie, and taped it between the pairs, right between my legs. I knew while they might touch my inner thigh, like you said, they're not going to go up high enough to accidentally graze my actual crotch. I also wore baggy enough (not super-baggy my crotch is in between my knees) shorts, so the outline of the equipment wasn't going to be noticed through the fabric even if they were staring at me down there.

I agree that it's likely Trent will have a more open policy, so long as he gets a say in the matter. I know for shows other than NIN I've been to, I've called the venue ahead of time and they've said camera policy is set by the performer, so NIN without a label to tell him no, I'd imagine we can at least bring small equipment in with no problem. Which is great so long as the show I go to is when the equipment room is open at my school, because even after I graduate, there's a chance I could take some really good quality, new gear out to shoot/record this time around.

NotoriousTIMP
03-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Keep in mind that TR might say its cool, but a good deal of venues are not okay with people taping.

I always put my rig inside a plastic bag and tucked it next to my balls (really trying to sell a picture here) and I've never been caught. Doing the belt line thing just seems too risky if you ask me.

Hey SM, do you have any samples of your recordings with the DR-05? I'm curious to see how those sound....

SM Rollinger
03-10-2013, 10:53 AM
PM Sent to keep unrelated material out of this thread (and to avoid shamless self promotion of my utube...)
ANYWAYS...
Yeah, i never take any chances with venue security. Even if I know the artist is cool with roios, i still do the whole operation guerella style (sneak my stuff in and stealth record the thing.) Ive been going to shows now for 15+ years, and recording for 5, so after awhile, it just becomes part of the concert experence for me. Shit, i cant remember the last time I clapped at a show!

sheepdean
03-10-2013, 11:00 AM
You guys have crazy strict concert rules, all they do here is pat us down to make sure we didn't bring outside drinks.

If I had the money and a steady hand, totes would record a hell of a lot of shows

SM Rollinger
03-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Come to think of it, yeah we do. Alot of the best boots ive heard have been of overseas shows (UK and Japan especially, this isnt just NIN either)

ScreamingSlave
03-10-2013, 09:57 PM
I plan on taping HDTA and NIN :) been awhile cant wait to start putting out some good tapes again :) ScreamingSlave aka BennyBlanco :)

NotoriousTIMP
03-10-2013, 10:00 PM
I've got the Monterey and SF shows covered for the HTDA tour. What shows are you planning on recording?

gladcarrot
03-10-2013, 10:13 PM
I've got Chicago covered. No doubt I'll hit all the NIN shows in states that border Great Lakes. Provinces too.

icklekitty
03-11-2013, 04:15 AM
I believe RITC are trying to organise something for Chicago if anyone wants to get involved with that.

ScreamingSlave
03-11-2013, 05:37 AM
I will be taping in Boston for HDTA and for NIN ill be hitting Boston, NY, NJ and maybe PA. :)

ScreamingSlave
03-11-2013, 05:43 AM
Just won this off eBay to :) Sony DSC-HX20V also looking for a nice HD camera SD card based any recommendations for a good low light full HD camcorder that is pocket sized I used a Panasonic hdc-sd9 back in 09 but I am sure there are some better ones now any suggestions?

Camille
03-11-2013, 06:07 AM
I have attended a lot of shows over the years, and in the UK, we usually get a quick pat down and that is it. I have walked into venues in Scotland and England countless times with a back pack containing my dslr camera. I often get asked if door staff can take a look in the bag, they do so, give me a quick pat down and send me in. It is only in the last couple of years that venues seem to be a little apprehensive about letting me in with my gear.
I don't take equipment like a dslr to shows such as NIN though, as the risk of it getting knocked out my hand is greater.

Just saying.

theimage13
03-11-2013, 06:22 AM
I plan on taping HDTA and NIN :) been awhile cant wait to start putting out some good tapes again :) ScreamingSlave aka BennyBlanco :)

I do believe I was just listening to your Worcester LITS recording the other day and drooling over the bass in The Great Destroyer.

I do believe I'll be downloading anything you come up with from this year's shows.

thefragile_jake
03-11-2013, 09:28 AM
This is really great information! I have been wanting to record shows I've been to for quite sometime now, someone I see at all kinds of shows in St. Louis has a YouTube page where he essentially video tapes all the hottest shows in the area in perfect HD. I've been watching them from time to time but I was really wanting to get some audio recordings down.

I too look forward to anything the community comes up with for these shows this year, good luck everyone!

UninTY
03-11-2013, 01:16 PM
I finally understand how Trent got in your pants!!!

NotoriousTIMP
03-11-2013, 04:22 PM
I finally understand how Trent got in your pants!!!

It's times like this when I find myself wishing I had picked a better name lol

Broadbent
03-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Hey guys, I'm a taper from back in 06/07 era. I used the crotch method with no problem, I put my gear in a ziplock back and kind of put it right on top of my groin area using my belt to hold it in place, which also helps with metal detectors, tricking it into thinking it's the belt buckle. wear baggy pants too.

I have another tape question for you guys. My minidisc is out of commission(besides I don't think they sell minidiscs anymore) So I'm wondering if I can plug my miss into my iPhone and record it digitally on there.

I've got Core sound audio binaurals mics from 04/05 that still work great, but I'm wondering if I need an adapter or something to record with just the miss, battery box and iPhone.

FernandoDante
03-11-2013, 09:00 PM
I approve of this thread.

NotoriousTIMP
03-11-2013, 09:30 PM
I have another tape question for you guys. My minidisc is out of commission(besides I don't think they sell minidiscs anymore) So I'm wondering if I can plug my miss into my iPhone and record it digitally on there.

I've got Core sound audio binaurals mics from 04/05 that still work great, but I'm wondering if I need an adapter or something to record with just the miss, battery box and iPhone.

I just did a google search and found this. I say download something and let me know how it works. If one of these apps is decent I might just forget about getting a new deck!

http://homerecording.about.com/od/holidaybuyingguides/a/iphone_apps.htm

Broadbent
03-11-2013, 11:10 PM
Ya there are some free apps out there, but this brit says I need an adapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izcqjV9WNWA

A couple of bucks and I should have a half decent taping rig. I'll just have to smuggle in the mics, battery box, and adapter. I'm also thinking about trying to hook up the mics to a baseball cap, if I can hide the wires down the back. Get the mics up nice and high, and clipped to something sturdier than my collar.

NotoriousTIMP
03-11-2013, 11:21 PM
Hmmm.....so I found the adaptor on eBay and the price point is not bad at all.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=280989510896&index=8&nav=SEARCH&nid=43788469187

I might check this out and see how it well it works. Now I just got figure out what app to run....

ScreamingSlave
03-12-2013, 06:03 PM
http://www.ixymic.com/ Looks pretty great for those not wanting to buy a full rig.

ScreamingSlave
03-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Q: Will this adapter work with a stereo mic?

A: The combined headset jack on the iPhone and other devices only has a mono mic input so you cannot record in stereo. Most recording apps split the mono signal into both left/right channels when recording so the audio will play back in both ears. You can connect a stereo mic to this adapter but only one side of the mic will be active; if you use a stereo-to-mono adapter (http://www.kvconnection.com/product-p/t-aa215.htm) on your mic then it will make both mics active. There is a new stereo microphone product available which will allow for stereo recording using the docking connector; this is currently the only option available for stereo recording, Tascam IM2 stereo mic (http://www.kvconnection.com/product-p/product-p/t-tcm-im2.htm).

ScreamingSlave
03-12-2013, 06:49 PM
http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8Z082 cheaper solution for 1/8 jack stereo recording on ipod iphone :)

TheBang
03-13-2013, 10:32 PM
lol, DAT's and MD's.

If you're buying new equipment, there's little reason to go with DAT or MD over Digital Audio Recorders. DAT and MD are limited to 16/48, 16/44.1, or lossy recording, and if the show is longer than 60-90 minutes, you have to deal with a tape change/disc swap.

With Digital Audio Recorders, you record directly to a flash card at up to 24/96 as an easy to use WAV file. Even if you have a DAT/MD rig, I think at this point, you should consider dropping $200 for a DAR for the quality and convenience.

Some good DAR's to consider:

Sony PCM-M10
Roland R-05

If you really want to get super-nerdy about taping, this is the forum to visit:

http://taperssection.com/

gladcarrot
03-14-2013, 12:46 PM
lol, DAT's and MD's.

If you're buying new equipment, there's little reason to go with DAT or MD over Digital Audio Recorders. DAT and MD are limited to 16/48, 16/44.1, or lossy recording, and if the show is longer than 60-90 minutes, you have to deal with a tape change/disc swap.

With Digital Audio Recorders, you record directly to a flash card at up to 24/96 as an easy to use WAV file. Even if you have a DAT/MD rig, I think at this point, you should consider dropping $200 for a DAR for the quality and convenience.

Some good DAR's to consider:

Sony PCM-M10
Roland R-05

If you really want to get super-nerdy about taping, this is the forum to visit:

http://taperssection.com/

I must give an enthusiastic second to TheBang's suggestion. I used a minidisc recorder for years and complained about it every time I taped a show. Last year I finally switched to the PCM-M10 and have been kicking myself ever since for not buying one sooner. Digital audio recorders are so much easier to use, are more versatile, transfer recordings quickly, produce better quality recordings, and so far I have not lost a recording due to gear mishaps. I taped about 150 shows with my MD before switching to the PCM-M10. I probably lost 10 shows due to a failure of the minidisc to finalize the recording. My 7% MD failure rate resulted in a loss of the following band recordings; Fear Factory, Peter Murphy, Tricky, Yo Yo Ma, System of a Down, Slayer, Battlecross, and Hanzel und Gretyl off the top of my head.

FYI, I still have a few minidisc players/recorders and am always willing to transfer recordings if anyone comes across some old minidiscs.

NotoriousTIMP
03-15-2013, 01:21 AM
Well, if you're a taper who is on a tight budget (ie: Me) then looking at MDs and DATs are still an option.

I'd love to get the Sony M10 but I dont have the extra $200 sitting around. I'm about to pick up a set of Church Audio CA-11's and if worst comes to worst, I'll use them on the MD recorder my friend still has.

FULLMETAL
03-15-2013, 10:54 AM
I remember how much of a pain it was to smuggle my deck & mic in my pants through the security check, quickly visit the bathroom to unpack everything, and then hope no one on the floor would see what I was doing (not to mention trying to get a level check and keeping still). Ugh, so much stress. If there's an open taping policy, I might just dig out my PCM-M1 and record something.

Callahan
03-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Can we turn this thread into a camera suggestions too? for taking pictures, and recording video?

I always want to capture moments from the concerts I've been to, but I also don't want to lug around a massive DSLR camera, since I usually aim to be against the railing. I've mainly been using the best compact camera I can find when I purchase them, I managed to get a decent one during the LITS tour (YouTube page for reference (https://www.youtube.com/user/MichaelYK), audio was terrible on the camera). Those were taken prior to smart phones having HD video recording, so having HD in a small compact digital camera wasn't as common.

Fun fact, I think I may have been the first person to post a live HD NIN video[/URL].

[url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1NaPSFM3II (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1NaPSFM3II)

Now with the 2013/2014 tour coming up, I've been looking at buying a new compact camera! So what suggestions would you guys have in that regards? I've been looking at this model:

Sony DSC RX100 (http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-dsc-rx100)

The ratings on them have been top notch, and most seem to rate it as the best compact camera available to date.

TheBang
03-20-2013, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I think the DSC-RX100 would be a great camera especially if you're in the first few rows. Here are some samples for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npbSQ9pwN0s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGdajKWkKLQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usfdu-RNyME

However, if you're further back, like I usually am, I think you'd like having a compact travel zoom. That zoom power comes in really handy. Of the current crop of travel zooms, I think the DSC-HX20V is probably the best for video. Here are some samples (including some extreme zoom for the Stones video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7b4GwJ__X8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xaquUMwg1A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8z25rToAyI

ScreamingSlave
03-26-2013, 01:37 PM
I always want to capture moments from the concerts I've been to, but I also don't want to lug around a massive DSLR camera, since I usually aim to be against the railing. I've mainly been using the best compact camera I can find when I purchase them, I managed to get a decent one during the LITS tour (YouTube page for reference (https://www.youtube.com/user/MichaelYK), audio was terrible on the camera). Those were taken prior to smart phones having HD video recording, so having HD in a small compact digital camera wasn't as common.

Fun fact, I think I may have been the first person to post a live HD NIN video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1NaPSFM3II (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1NaPSFM3II)

I think I may have beaten you in recording them first in HD I traveled from Massachusetts to London and was shooting in HD in 2007 on a lumix dmc-lx2 camera I think it was one of the first ones to have hd capture at the time :) LOL couldn't even zoom when recording :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGTaiLYaIvM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7skck1iiyO8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fGze7Vc01k

There are a few more if you look on my page :)

ScreamingSlave
03-28-2013, 10:33 PM
For those looking to video I highly recommend the Sony hx20v check out some videos i just did a few nights ago this little cam does some insane low light video. Make Sure you watch in HD it records in full 1080p :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVWSOXje8KQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFnZtKKnR7c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp0undmpUTM

theimage13
03-29-2013, 07:11 AM
Kind of off topic, but just wanted to note that I can barely load this page without my computer getting extremely angry at me. Anyone else? Thinking it might be the barrage of embedded videos, but I'm not sure.

fillow
03-29-2013, 07:21 AM
I believe the Nickelback video is to blame. Fuck them.

NotoriousTIMP
04-08-2013, 12:29 AM
Just bought a Tascam DR-05 and now I'm on the hunt for a decent set of microphones for next week's HTDA shows!! :D

This will be my first time taping with a digital recorder. Does anyone know how much space I need for a standard concert? Is a 2GB card big enough?

ScreamingSlave
04-08-2013, 05:56 AM
Just bought a Tascam DR-05 and now I'm on the hunt for a decent set of microphones for next week's HTDA shows!! :D

This will be my first time taping with a digital recorder. Does anyone know how much space I need for a standard concert? Is a 2GB card big enough?

Excellent News I would go with a 8 or 16gb and go with a name brand like Kingston or San disk tape in highest quality 24/48 or 24/96 and down sample from there in post to 16 or 24 bit if you wish recording in 24 bit will yield the highest results :).

NotoriousTIMP
04-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the pointers!

Since its down to the wire, do you have any recommendations for some microphones? Maybe something that I can get at Fry's Electronics or something? I can't believe the HTDA shows are next Wednesday and Tuesday!

ScreamingSlave
04-08-2013, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the pointers!

Since its down to the wire, do you have any recommendations for some microphones? Maybe something that I can get at Fry's Electronics or something? I can't believe the HTDA shows are next Wednesday and Tuesday!

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-CMC-8 - omni will pick up what you hear directly naturally including people and sounds around you.

Cardioid is more directional and must be pointed in the direction you are recording.

http://www.core-sound.com/mics/1.php

Core Sound Mics are good as well .

If you cant afford any of these options let me know and ill loan you a set I'd just have to have you pay for shipping and insurance back and forth and ask you take very good care of them.

once you start getting into taping you may want to step up to dpa's I personally recommend the 4061 series they are highly recommended and are amazing in quality but they are expensive 900$ for a new set. Although you can also pick up used on eBay and try and match and rewire for much less then that.

Let me know if you have any questions ill be happy to help :)

NotoriousTIMP
04-08-2013, 10:55 AM
I've used CSB in the past but after spending some time over at Taperssection.com the general opinion is that Core-sound makes subpar microphones for the money. At this point I'm looking for a quick solution to help get me familiar with my new rig and then after these HTDA shows I will drive deep into the microphone section over there and find myself a more permanent setup :)

BTW, you have a PM! :D

ScreamingSlave
04-08-2013, 11:17 AM
I've used CSB in the past but after spending some time over at Taperssection.com the general opinion is that Core-sound makes subpar microphones for the money. At this point I'm looking for a quick solution to help get me familiar with my new rig and then after these HTDA shows I will drive deep into the microphone section over there and find myself a more permanent setup :)

BTW, you have a PM! :D

if you are looking for in store options they are very limited but here are 2 mics at fryes keep in mind with these mics you will need to be holding the recorder.

http://www.frys.com/product/3596304?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://www.frys.com/product/3343692?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

The sound professionals i recommended would be a better choice imo they are a very good bang for the buck they are not dpas but are very good sounding :)

You should be able to get them overnight or 2 or 3 day shipping id just call and ask. IMO CSB mics are a good starting point i wouldn't pay full price again for a pair but i made several great recordings with them back in 06 and 07 just a little work in post with sound forge can go a long way check out these samples.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/22/807311/14.The%20Big%20Comedown.flac

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/22/807311/16.Down%20In%20It.flac

didn't get a pm?

ScreamingSlave
04-09-2013, 01:58 PM
I have hooked up NotoriousTIMP by loaning him my custom mics so his shows will be covered.

I will be covering the Boston HDTA show and any NIN shows out this way I am also covering Lollapalooza :)

I will be using my DPA'S & Custom BB for all shows :)

ScreamingSlave
04-09-2013, 01:59 PM
If anyone else needs mics for other shows I am happy to loan them out as needed :)

Will be nice to have all these shows in HQ for later listening :)

NotoriousTIMP
04-09-2013, 05:51 PM
SS, you rock!!! This is why I keep coming back to ETS....such awesome people here :)

NotoriousTIMP
04-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Thanks again, SS!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/7FF19D2D-F7E6-4091-8B5D-9E1DB099BC1D-597-000000171873A2EB_zps842522df.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/cingularrox/media/7FF19D2D-F7E6-4091-8B5D-9E1DB099BC1D-597-000000171873A2EB_zps842522df.jpg.html)

Now I just need my Tascam DR-05 to show up and I'll be all set! :D

NotoriousTIMP
04-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Test Recordings in 3....2.....1......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/EF039262-860A-4AD3-90CB-89592A47673C-4225-00000130BDAEF157_zps58c290f0.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/cingularrox/media/EF039262-860A-4AD3-90CB-89592A47673C-4225-00000130BDAEF157_zps58c290f0.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/376088D1-8002-45A4-8124-AE6CFFC0F66D-4225-00000130C025A959_zps93d289e4.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/cingularrox/media/376088D1-8002-45A4-8124-AE6CFFC0F66D-4225-00000130C025A959_zps93d289e4.jpg.html)

becomingtom
04-24-2013, 02:04 AM
So I read in the Chicago Tour Journal that they were allowed to record the show, I have a camcorder and would like to record it as well. Does this mean I will be able to? I'm going to the Toronto show.

NotoriousTIMP
04-24-2013, 11:44 PM
So I read in the Chicago Tour Journal that they were allowed to record the show, I have a camcorder and would like to record it as well. Does this mean I will be able to? I'm going to the Toronto show.

The recording of the Chicago show was something special. I would still use caution when bringing your recording gear into a venue

becomingtom
04-25-2013, 12:00 AM
The recording of the Chicago show was something special. I would still use caution when bringing your recording gear into a venue

Thanks for the reply! I think I'm leaning on not trying to bring it. I do have an iPhone I may try to record with. But I don't have any extra mics to hook up to it and I guess I'm out of time to get any now.

stefler
04-26-2013, 02:40 PM
Hello,

I 've bought an Olympus LS-05 recorder. Now I'm also looking for good microphones.

I just think about to buy this combination:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Preamp-Mics-for-R09HR-Sony-D10-D50-ZOOM-H4N-Tascam-DR-/250820435654?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3a66101ec6

Can anybody tell me, if that would be a good combination. Please let me know your (other) suggestions. :-)

heavenly_bearded
04-26-2013, 02:49 PM
I have a Flip device that records 1080p. I am planning on setting up camp somewhere and recording the Lolla set. It really does record some beautiful shots, just not the best for audio.

NotoriousTIMP
04-26-2013, 03:07 PM
I have a Flip device that records 1080p. I am planning on setting up camp somewhere and recording the Lolla set. It really does record some beautiful shots, just not the best for audio.

Got any sample shots?

heavenly_bearded
04-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Got any sample shots?

Only lots of ice fishin' videos. I'm about to take my son outside for a walk, will post when I get back.

Edit: Or not, just plugged my Flip into my new laptop and it deleted everything! I though Flipshare was set up to ask me if I would like to sync? This relationship with Windows 8 is really starting to become love/hate...

ScreamingSlave
04-27-2013, 10:41 AM

whats nice about lolla is if we have any good members who can rip streams we should have a nice 1080P pro shot of the entire set lolla streams HD now :)

And from what Ive heard Lolla should be special as its NIN return 1st show in the USA and the first time they have played lolla since they were discovered there !!!!

SM Rollinger
05-14-2013, 05:09 PM
Just got confirmation that my new set of Core Stealthy Cardiods are on their way and should be here Friday! Ill have to wait till the July 3rd Manson show in Omaha before im really able to give them a trial run though :(

(Alice in Chains are headlining the local radio rock festival in Sioux Falls tonight, and was hoping to test them out on that. but oh well)

FULLMETAL
05-14-2013, 08:17 PM
...the first time they have played lolla since they were discovered there !!!!

I thought that show was from 2008 and found a quick link from Brooklyn Vegan. I think there was some controversy since they couldn't play another gig in Chicago around that time and some folks missed out that portion of LITS.
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2008/08/nine_inch_nails_5.html

SM Rollinger
06-13-2013, 03:37 PM
So, with the dates announced and presales happening as we speak, i would have thought there would be some info on an official recording policy by now. Anybody know anything? My new Cores thirst for sound!

ninlive
06-13-2013, 10:09 PM
So, with the dates announced and presales happening as we speak, i would have thought there would be some info on an official recording policy by now. Anybody know anything? My new Cores thirst for sound!

At the moment, it is stealth only. :(

NotoriousTIMP
06-14-2013, 01:54 AM
Looks like I have until November to finally secure a good set of mics....

ninlive
06-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Looks like I have until November to finally secure a good set of mics....

Any way to get your HTDA San Fran source?

NotoriousTIMP
06-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Any way to get your HTDA San Fran source?

PM me your email address and I'll send you the files you need

AbjectMark
06-16-2013, 09:50 AM
I've got this little thing

http://images.tigerdirect.com/SKUimages/enhanced/S190-7534-call10-ge.jpg

It does the job. The recordings aren't crystal clear but they're better than some bootlegs I've heard. I try and tinker with the sound post recording but I don't really know what I'm doing half the time haha.

Anyway, I'm gonna try to get tickets for the Sunrise FL show (I'm coming from the UK) so I can record this date.

ninlive
06-16-2013, 10:20 PM
I've got a new audio rig for the upcoming tour. I was hoping to get a count of what shows people are hitting in order to get the whole tour covered by tapers. I know these will be tough recordings to get of these shows:

St. Paul
Kansas City
St. Louis
Raleigh
Sunrise, FL
Orlando, FL
San Antonio
El Paso
Vancouver
Seattle
Edmonton
Calgary

For these shows I am willing to send around my alternate "Taping Rig" of a Sony TCD-D8 DAT recorder and my Sony ECM-717 to anyone who wants to tape the show. I don't know if anyone would be interested in doing something like this. But I know for a fact El Paso, Edmonton and Calgary are the ones I am wanting to hopefully get to tape with this rig. (If someone wants to). Just throwing it out there.

SM Rollinger
06-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Im doing St Paul

NotoriousTIMP
06-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Count me in for Seattle and Vancouver

dunebug81
06-18-2013, 09:25 PM
I've not posted here much but I've taped 600 or so in the last decade and the switch from MD to solid state was the best thing ever. Those HI-MDs were getting harder and harder to find not to mention the expense. Do yourself a favor and donate enough blood/semen/eggs to get yourself a Sony M10 or something similar.

Im gonna see about a dozen shows. If i can ever figure out this torrent thing ill upload
them. I tried to torrent both APC from this past December in Vegas and HTDA in NJ but dime for some lame ass reason says I have to download before i can upload. It's a stupid policy!

Anyone reached out to Rob or TR about taping policy's?

ninlive
06-18-2013, 09:38 PM
Anyone reached out to Rob or TR about taping policy's?

Yes, I have been told there will be no open taping policy like from previous tours.

I thought you erased all of your recordings? I think many would love to hear your 26 With Teeth Tour recordings and whatever else you have. If you need help getting them out to the masses, I'd be happy to help.

dunebug81
06-18-2013, 10:04 PM
Yes, I have been told there will be no open taping policy like from previous tours.

I thought you erased all of your recordings? I think many would love to hear your 26 With Teeth Tour recordings and whatever else you have. If you need help getting them out to the masses, I'd be happy to help.

Well that's too bad about the taping policy. I suppose that's what happens when being signed to a big label.

Im not sure what I have. I wasn't the best about backing stuff up and combine that with losing a hard drive and it doesn't look good. I'm not sure what discs I reused and which ones I didn't. I'm an over the road truck driver so I don't get home often. Next time I'm home Ill go thru and see what I've still got.

Thanks for the help offer. Ill take you up on that! My HTDA show from Pomona didn't happen due to either dead batteries or I accidentally shut the recorder off but the NJ set came out great.

You were looking to get San Antonio or El Paso taped, Ill be at EP and working on plans for SA.

i plan on going to Raleigh, Nashville, Atlanta, Asheville, Orlando, Sunrise, LA, Phx, El Paso, and both Vegas shows. DC, Portland, Seattle, Denver, and San Antonio are possibilities but are not places I go for work and are harder to get to then the other cities out west.

TheBang
06-18-2013, 10:24 PM
No!!! Well, at least I don't have to get a new camcorder then. Looks like I'll have to stick with the travel zoom and see how much I can record.

For those looking to buy a brand new camera (the kind you don't get stopped at the door for), it looks like the best options this year are the Panasonic DMC-ZS30 and the Sony DSC-HX50V. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

i plan on going to Raleigh, Nashville, Atlanta, Asheville, Orlando, Sunrise, LA, Phx, El Paso, and both Vegas shows. DC, Portland, Seattle, Denver, and San Antonio are possibilities but are not places I go for work and are harder to get to then the other cities out west.
Are you able to schedule your work driving destinations to coincide with the tour dates? If so, that's pretty cool!

NotoriousTIMP
06-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Hey Dunebug, welcome back to ETS. :) I was having some issues with torrential my HTDA shows and I ended up uploading them to my Mega Upload account and then sent a link to RITCNIN so he could host the files on his site. :) I say try that out if dime doesn't work for you

dunebug81
06-19-2013, 03:38 AM
TheBang Yes and no. I own my own truck so I can accept or turndown a load for just about any reason. I live in Atlanta so all points in the southeast are only a few hours in any given direction and most likely ill do that by car. Stuff out on the west coast Phx, LV, El Paso, Albuquerque, etc are places I go to all the time and many arenas and amphitheatres will let me park my rig there for about $25 or so. I don't get to see tons of shows like I used to but when there is a minitour on the west coast with 5 dates i now can make it to things like that and get paid doing so. I saw a bunch of APC shows when they first came back a few years ago. That your was only 4-5 cities.

I also do a fair amount of car rentals when in California to see shows as there is no truck parking in LA or SF.

SM Rollinger
06-19-2013, 05:50 AM
Usualy taping policies are decided by the band or the venue. I just cant see, that after 20+ years of "open" taping policies, Trent is gonna change his mind and say "fuck em." He knows how die-hard the segment of his fan base is.

NotoriousTIMP
06-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Only since the YZ shows has there been an open taping policy.

TheBang
06-20-2013, 05:36 AM
Only since the YZ shows has there been an open taping policy.
No, it was only the Wave Goodbye tour that had an open taping policy. Everything before then was stealth.

dunebug81
06-20-2013, 07:05 AM
No, it was only the Wave Goodbye tour that had an open taping policy. Everything before then was stealth.

No, the NINJA tour was also open taping.

TheBang
06-20-2013, 01:22 PM
No, the NINJA tour was also open taping.
That was part of the Wave Goodbye tour...

http://www.ninwiki.com/Wave_Goodbye_Tour

SM Rollinger
06-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Lol at all the back and forth. As long as its not posted "no cameras or recording devices", then im not too worried.

dunebug81
06-20-2013, 06:49 PM
That was part of the Wave Goodbye tour...

http://www.ninwiki.com/Wave_Goodbye_Tour

Oh, different venue different tshirts to me is a different tour....but what the fuck do I know, lol??

TheBang
06-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Lol at all the back and forth. As long as its not posted "no cameras or recording devices", then im not too worried.
That's the problem. Unless there's an open recording policy, that's probably what will be posted.

It's really only a problem for video recording though, as it's always easy to sneak in audio recording gear and stealth tape.

With the proliferation of smartphones though, I've noticed that within the last few years, security has no problems with compact cameras. So long as it's not a DSLR or anything approaching a DSLR size. Which is why I recommended the travel zooms above, which have fantastic video recording and zoom capabilities given their compact size.

ninlive
06-22-2013, 10:44 PM
Well that's too bad about the taping policy. I suppose that's what happens when being signed to a big label.

Im not sure what I have. I wasn't the best about backing stuff up and combine that with losing a hard drive and it doesn't look good. I'm not sure what discs I reused and which ones I didn't. I'm an over the road truck driver so I don't get home often. Next time I'm home Ill go thru and see what I've still got.

Thanks for the help offer. Ill take you up on that! My HTDA show from Pomona didn't happen due to either dead batteries or I accidentally shut the recorder off but the NJ set came out great.

You were looking to get San Antonio or El Paso taped, Ill be at EP and working on plans for SA.

My thoughts exactly on the taping policy. It has to be Columbia. Which I respect it... Not like I mind stealthing.

I know for one, I'd love you Lexington 2006 recording.. http://www.reflectinginthechrome.com/samples/2006/20060224dunebug1.mp3

No!!! Well, at least I don't have to get a new camcorder then. Looks like I'll have to stick with the travel zoom and see how much I can record.

For those looking to buy a brand new camera (the kind you don't get stopped at the door for), it looks like the best options this year are the Panasonic DMC-ZS30 and the Sony DSC-HX50V. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

I fully agree with this. The DMC models pump out great video, and in 720p I believe. Which is totally suffice.

Hey Dunebug, welcome back to ETS. :) I was having some issues with torrential my HTDA shows and I ended up uploading them to my Mega Upload account and then sent a link to RITCNIN so he could host the files on his site. :) I say try that out if dime doesn't work for you

Yep, you can upload them via FTP or send them to me dropbox/megaupload to be hosted. Here is TIMP's recording btw. Really good.

http://www.reflectinginthechrome.com/shows/2013/20130418.html

Usualy taping policies are decided by the band or the venue. I just cant see, that after 20+ years of "open" taping policies, Trent is gonna change his mind and say "fuck em." He knows how die-hard the segment of his fan base is.

True. But this tour they have decided no open taping. And not to beat a dead horse, but from 89-08 they did not have an open taping policy and were stealth only. Only NINJA and the Wave Goodbye Tour were open. A few shows at the end of the Lights In The Sky Tour were open because Interscope shot down the 3D concert recording and thus, ThisOneIsOnUs was formed. But Rob and Trent have said the archive and live recording of their performances is totally cool. Even if the shows/tickets don't say "no audio or video recording devices allowed" out loud. Don't expect to be able to walk in freely with your gear.

@TheBang (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=176) I wonder how well the smartphone game is in regards to audio recordings? Tascam has a PCM app that will allow an iPhone to record in 16-bit/44.1 and they even have a mic in/preamp available. HERE: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=905535&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I am really tempted to just buy it for shits and giggles to see how well it really is.

ninlive
06-22-2013, 10:49 PM
By the way.. I am going to create an excel spreadsheet again for this tour to see who is taping what shows (or attempting because more than half don't). So if you'd like to be added to this list let me know what shows you are hitting. If you want to add an email address or what gear you're using, that would be awesome. Here are the shows I am hitting up:

Confirmed:
08.02 Lollapalooza
10.04 Toronto
10.05 Cleveland
10.07 Auburn Hills
10.08 Pittsburgh
10.14 Brooklyn
10.15 Newark
10.18 Washington DC
10.19 University Park

Maybe:
11.15 Las Vegas
11.16 Las Vegas

Stubhub tickets for the Vegas shows are around the same for an arena floor right now. Would be pretty cool to head out to Vegas again for some shows.

jessamineny
06-22-2013, 10:54 PM
My thoughts exactly on the taping policy. It has to be Columbia. Which I respect it... Not like I mind stealthing.

Wonder if they're going to film the tour themselves (try to resurrect that dead Cameron project, or a similar one?) and thus don't want a bunch of quality audience recordings watering down the marketability of their final product...

ninlive
06-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Wonder if they're going to film the tour themselves (try to resurrect that dead Cameron project, or a similar one?) and thus don't want a bunch of quality audience recordings watering down the marketability of their final product...

I can see this happening, and I TOTALLY don't mind! :)

innerturmoil
06-23-2013, 01:33 AM
The Tascam iphone mic is really handling sensitive. Don't think it'll be practical for concerts. Move at all it picks up vibrations.

TheBang
06-23-2013, 03:15 AM
I fully agree with this. The DMC models pump out great video, and in 720p I believe. Which is totally suffice.
Actually the past couple years' models of Panasonic DMC's have gone up to full 1080p60 video. And at least with this year's model, I think the video quality has caught up with Sony's.

I@TheBang (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=176) I wonder how well the smartphone game is in regards to audio recordings? Tascam has a PCM app that will allow an iPhone to record in 16-bit/44.1 and they even have a mic in/preamp available. HERE: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=905535&Q=&is=REG&A=details
I haven't seen anything compelling in smartphone recording yet. I'll stick with the 24/96 ADC in my Edirol for now.

I'm tentatively planning on going to:

Las Vegas x2
Vancouver
Seattle

I have tickets to the above, but travel arrangements aren't certain yet.

dunebug81
06-23-2013, 07:41 AM
I'm planning on Raleigh thru Sunrise, possibly San Antonio, then LA/phx/el paso, and finally Vegas. If I happen to be in the area for other shows then those too.

NotoriousTIMP
06-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Hey Dunebug, was it you that had video footage from the F/R/D gigs in 2005?

screwdriver
06-23-2013, 02:12 PM
The Tascam iphone mic is really handling sensitive. Don't think it'll be practical for concerts. Move at all it picks up vibrations.

not just that, I have problems with the iphone abruptly stopping recognizing it and switching to the internal microphone. ruined a few recordings -- quite frustrating.

dunebug81
06-23-2013, 02:36 PM
Hey Dunebug, was it you that had video footage from the F/R/D gigs in 2005?

Yes it was. My brother and I got some gear in. I don't remember any of it being stellar quality. It was pretty old school miniDV that we used. I should find those tapes next time I'm home. I'm sure someone on here has a camera that could do something with them.

ninlive
06-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Yes it was. My brother and I got some gear in. I don't remember any of it being stellar quality. It was pretty old school miniDV that we used. I should find those tapes next time I'm home. I'm sure someone on here has a camera that could do something with them.

*waves hand*

dunebug81
06-23-2013, 10:20 PM
*waves hand*

Lol, well ill go home in a month or so once my divorce is final and clean out some stuff from storage. If those tapes are anywhere it will be there.

AbjectMark
06-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Secured our tickets for Sunrise. I'll tape this show!

SM Rollinger
07-04-2013, 02:57 AM
Ok, time for a pro-tip...

DONT RE-USE BATTERIES WITH YOUR RECORDING DEVICE. ONE RECORDING SESSION AND THATS IT, TAKE THEM OUT AND PUT THEM IN A CLOCK OR REMOTE CONTROL OR SOMETHING UN-IMPORTANT.

I decided to take a chance with used ones, and it bit me in the ass tonight (gauge said the were still full-ish when i started taping...) Check your user manual for requirements, but personally for any and all portable electronic devices, i use Energizer Ultimate Lithiums.

dunebug81
07-04-2013, 05:33 AM
That's the problem with using lithium batteries. If your device doesn't have a setting for that type of battery then it won't gauge how much juice is left in the battery correctly. I only use the lithium batteries as a backup. My main set are Duracell pro cell. They last forever and the battery indicator reads correctly. Not to mention they are a hell of a lot cheaper.

SM Rollinger
07-04-2013, 10:07 AM
My recorder does have a setting for Lithiums, and it was on that too...

So yeah, like dunebug81 said, make sure you have your recorder set for the type of batteries your using.

dunebug81
07-04-2013, 11:49 AM
What kind of recorder are you using?

I still suggest the Duracell Procells. I use the 9v in my pre and AAs in my M10....or I do when I get somewhere to stock up on them.

mrfang
07-05-2013, 07:12 PM
I have a ticket for Asheville, but may have to deputize someone else to record audio if I end up getting a media pass to do photography instead.

Definitely taping San Antonio, but hope other people do too. The more sources, the better.

NotoriousTIMP
07-09-2013, 08:12 AM
Hey Dunebug, sorry if you have posted this already but what microphones are you currently using? I need to secure a set before the tour kicks off and I'm a little behind the times when it comes to what sounds good and what doesn't

dunebug81
07-09-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm using DPA4060s > MMA6000 > Sony M10

You could pick up the mics for $700 and the preamp for about $500 from Sweetwater or possibly a local seller.

NotoriousTIMP
07-10-2013, 10:46 AM
I'm using DPA4060s > MMA6000 > Sony M10

You could pick up the mics for $700 and the preamp for about $500 from Sweetwater or possibly a local seller.

Good lord, thats a lot of money. Maybe if I was recording shows like I did back in the day I would be game for dropping that kind of cash, but at this point I only plan on recording the two NIN gigs I'm going to and thats it. Got any recommendations for a decent set of microphones that will run me $200-300?

dunebug81
07-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Not really all that up todate with mic technologo vice been using mine since 06. I'd check the forums over at taperssection.com for advice. Who knows you might be able to find some used DPAs....or borrow a set from someone.

NotoriousTIMP
07-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Not really all that up todate with mic technologo vice been using mine since 06. I'd check the forums over at taperssection.com for advice. Who knows you might be able to find some used DPAs....or borrow a set from someone.

That site is awesome, I had so many people offer to let me borrow a set of microphones to record the HDTA shows. The one guy who ended up sending me a set also sent me a backup set + another DAR. I need to head back over there and lurk the FS section :)

ninlive
07-10-2013, 11:32 AM
200-300 I would just buy some AT853's like you were using.

You don't need to use those MA6000 for those DPA's TIMP. I just use CA preamp and it works fine. To be honest, mics are the most important and where you are located in the arena.

If you tape a lot, I would invest in rechargable batteries. They are great for these SD recorders.

Like I said, if anyone wants to use my backup rig (Sony ECM-717 + Sony TCD-D8) for any gigs, just let me know. I'll supply the DAT tape as well.

dunebug81
07-10-2013, 01:39 PM
I didn't think about church audio making a thing for the 4060/4061s. I picked up my gear used from a guy of TS.com and came as a complete set. If you found a used pair of DPAs and got the church preamp that could save you some coin.

As for rechargables I don't trust them. These solid state recorders have such good battery life that switching out a new set of AAs every month or so isn't a big deal. Just think of all they money you're saving by not buying minidiscs or DATs any more!