PDA

View Full Version : Yoga!

theimage13
03-03-2013, 12:18 PM
I figured I'd post in case anyone else here practices. After years of making excuses not to try it, I take my first class on Tuesday. It doesn't seem to be any particular "kind" of yoga (ashtanga, etc), it's just an hour long class that's supposed to help you with flexibility and overall health. Most likely, I'll be the sole late-20's guy in a class full of old women, as that tends to be the way things go at the gym I belong to.

Anyone else practice? Or try it and decide it wasn't for them?

dominik
03-03-2013, 12:25 PM
I have downloaded a DVD where someone named "Sarah" shows you how to do Yoga and I think it's awesome. I don't know if I would do it in a class because I would be too afraid that I have to fart really loudly.

Swykk
03-03-2013, 01:08 PM
I've been doing YRG Yoga for about 2 weeks now. I had leukemia as a kid (been in remission since 1987) and have neuropathy as a consequence. I'm very limited in what I can do exercise-wise but this has been wonderful. I have an elliptical too, which I also try and do on the regular. Eventually, I'd like to combine both once I'm used to the yoga.
Honestly, I can't say enough good things about YRG. I have the DDP version and he shows you how to do AND modify each move, which has been very helpful to me. I figure if a guy who couldn't walk did this for about a year and now looks totally different and runs now, then I can do it for sure, neuropathy and all. So far, so good.

Dra508
03-03-2013, 06:41 PM
I've being doing yoga for about a year and find it to be a life saver. The center I go to is Anusara which basically means really fucking low key non-competitive yoga, heavy on form over flow and meditation, which was so what I needed.

Now, I'm getting a bit better and definitely more flexible which is the yang to my ying - crossfit.

Don't be intimidated by the other folks, everyone has to start somewhere.

As for the farting, yeah, I've heard that from guys before - no one cares, honestly - woman just have more control, but not all the time. :)

Merse
03-04-2013, 09:48 PM
I did a semester of Pilates, and I miss it! Does anyone know how yoga compares?

theimage13
03-06-2013, 05:24 AM
Well, day one: not good.

Between the physical atmosphere of the room (basically an empty room with a kitchen setup at one end), the inclusion of too many people and being driven into the wall (making half the transitions impossible) and the instructor not giving any feedback on positions, posture, etc...it was really disappointing. I signed up more for the mental health benefits than the physical, and walked out feeling so much worse than when I walked in. Physically, I didn't leave feeling any better or worse than when I entered.

Still haven't decided if I'll try it again next week.

Dra508
03-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Well, day one: not good.

Between the physical atmosphere of the room (basically an empty room with a kitchen setup at one end), the inclusion of too many people and being driven into the wall (making half the transitions impossible) and the instructor not giving any feedback on positions, posture, etc...it was really disappointing. I signed up more for the mental health benefits than the physical, and walked out feeling so much worse than when I walked in. Physically, I didn't leave feeling any better or worse than when I entered.

Still haven't decided if I'll try it again next week.Find another place. That's not how it's suppose to be.

henryeatscereal
03-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Im a huge fan! 15 minutes of "warm-up", 30 of postures and 15 minutes of meditation is my routine

theimage13
03-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Find another place. That's not how it's suppose to be.

Well, I know that's not how it's supposed to be ;)

The big decision right now is whether I give them a couple more tries. They do have larger spaces to practice in, so I'm hoping maybe the move to the smaller room was just a one-time fluke. As for the instructor...well, yeah, I definitely need someone else. But I know there isn't another "intro" class within 30 minutes of me for another month, so I feel like I may be able to at least try to learn from observing the other people at the class I went to instead of just waiting several weeks.

allegro
03-07-2013, 06:28 PM
try a DVD? I have some awesome yoga DVDs, including one where I can do yoga with Sting's wife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01dwz6AX37E

orestes
03-07-2013, 06:52 PM
http://www.myyogaonline.com/ has loads of videos on yoga, Pilates, meditation, etc.

theimage13
03-14-2013, 08:24 PM
Week Two: much better than the first week. Definitely not going to be my "this is it" class, as it's only once a week and the environment is still not exactly conducive to relaxing, but it's free and it's better than not doing it at all.

Also, the urge to let one rip has been extremely strong at one time or another during each session. One of these days, I'm sure I'll finally have to just let it go. But so far, so good.

allegro
03-14-2013, 08:52 PM
http://www.myyogaonline.com/ has loads of videos on yoga, Pilates, meditation, etc.
Thanks, awesome!!

Also, farting during yoga is one of the great reasons for practicing at home.

One of the bad things about practicing yoga at home: My dog. She evidently hates yoga. (She hates it a lot less than step bench stuff, though.)