PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

r_z
09-08-2016, 04:11 PM
I felt that with The Slip he had a lot to say, actually.

Volband
09-08-2016, 05:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYDUk0ESwt4

billpulsipher
09-08-2016, 05:54 PM
If only he had already begun an anthology series of tracks without lyrics. Call it like, Spirits.

And you act like he's never had a partner before, and that all stresses in his life are magically gone. I mean, he has to deal with fans like you still, that's at least an EP's worth.

thank god for his sake he has fans like me and parente who demand the best out of him..if all his fans were lap dogs like you and roswell, we would have 5 albums of songs like 'everything'

pcpunk
09-08-2016, 06:00 PM
so, uh, my Fragile Instrumental album on Apple Music has been reduced to the first five tracks. anyone else getting this?

Frozen Beach
09-08-2016, 06:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYDUk0ESwt4
Wow, even that video says it's not available in my country. Why are all the videos blocked in the US?

sheepdean
09-08-2016, 06:21 PM
Wow, even that video says it's not available in my country. Why are all the videos blocked in the US?
Freedom isn't free

sheepdean
09-08-2016, 06:22 PM
thank god for his sake he has fans like me and parente who demand the best out of him..if all his fans were lap dogs like you and roswell, we would have 5 albums of songs like 'everything'
I don't know the man, but I'm 100% sure he doesn't make music because you demand it

BRoswell
09-08-2016, 08:29 PM
Oh god! Billy Boy called me a lapdog just because I don't absolutely despise some song he has a creepy obsession with! I...I can't handle this! *cries*

If being a lapdog means I don't bitch and moan about the same song for three years straight without a hint of constructive criticism, then I'll gladly be called a lapdog. Ruff ruff, motherfuckers!

Bachy
09-08-2016, 10:33 PM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/ZuAu5WwLGo3ZK/giphy.gif

nooneimportant
09-08-2016, 10:58 PM
I get the feeling YZ was about an alternate reality

You might be onto something!

Volband
09-08-2016, 11:21 PM
IT'S FINALLY HERE GUYS! AFTER 3 YEARS, A NEW SONG! I CAN HARDLY BELIEVE IT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB94lvJbETE

Pretty good as well! Not Juno-level good, but still good.

simonn
09-09-2016, 01:29 AM
If the 'new NIN' turned out to be the Tension Blu Ray (say 2-3 shows worth of content), would you accept that? I know I would.

Bookmark
09-09-2016, 03:47 AM
If the 'new NIN' turned out to be the Tension Blu Ray (say 2-3 shows worth of content), would you accept that? I know I would.

I don' t know. On the one hand it would be cool to get Tension after such a long time. However, on the other hand to be honest I almost forget about it, so I would prefer something new instead that I can really look forward to. A big part of the LA - concert is online. So some fanmade recordings are. Yeah, a proper surround audio would be cool but that's it mostly. If new NIN would be "only" Tension plus maybe some bonus footage from other performances I wouldn't be unhappy but it would be definitely nothing I would really look forward to or be excited about. Yeah, I would accept it but in some sense I would be disappointed. Too much time simply passed since the first accouncement of the live album.

Khrz
09-09-2016, 06:27 AM
I don't know the man, but I'm 100% sure he doesn't make music because you demand it

And given NIN's output since '99 and how bill welcomes it every time, I wouldn't say his strategy is a very successful one anyway...

Ryan
09-09-2016, 06:56 AM
December 31st 2016 = Halo V - VIII box set with same crappy cover design as Halo I - IV.

Also, a remix of Juno.

"YOU GET NOTHING [ELSE]! YOU LOSE. GOOD DAY SIRS AND MADAMS!"

sick among the pure
09-09-2016, 12:47 PM
Oh god! Billy Boy called me a lapdog just because I don't absolutely despise some song he has a creepy obsession with! I...I can't handle this! *cries*

If being a lapdog means I don't bitch and moan about the same song for three years straight without a hint of constructive criticism, then I'll gladly be called a lapdog. Ruff ruff, motherfuckers!

Man, Bill gave me a good custom user title in one of his "bill vs other fans" rants a while back, but now I'm tempted to change it again...

Mutilated
09-09-2016, 02:11 PM
I'm both optimistic and pessimistic, if that's possible. I still think he'll surprise drop an album this year, and not a fucking remix or greatest hits piece of crap. On the other side of the coin, we'll get nothing, and the album is postponed til 2017.

somewhat_
09-09-2016, 03:14 PM
I think between "Before the Flood" and "Juno" that will probably wrap it up for "other things" for 2016.

kel
09-09-2016, 03:18 PM
IT'S FINALLY HERE GUYS! AFTER 3 YEARS, A NEW SONG! I CAN HARDLY BELIEVE IT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB94lvJbETE

Pretty good as well! Not Juno-level good, but still good.
that's dope as fuck.

scorpiusdiamond
09-09-2016, 03:28 PM
Josh Homme plays guitars on it, and it's produced by Blood Pop (AKA Blood Diamonds, who has collaborated with Grimes)
Fun facts, but I'm not into it.

xfocalinx
09-09-2016, 11:29 PM
Part of me still thinks we're going to get something new soon.. however, I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I'd rather be surprised when something drops.

well, there ya have it.

Ryan
09-10-2016, 06:15 AM
My boner for new NIN in 2016 is getting smaller and smaller and smaller.

r_z
09-10-2016, 10:37 AM
So you're closer to sob?

botley
09-10-2016, 11:07 AM
Before the Flood soundtrack next month, new NIN after that.

sweeterthan
09-10-2016, 12:01 PM

My fingers are crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

somewhat_
09-10-2016, 12:06 PM

New NIN single next week with album to follow in November or December.

sick among the pure
09-10-2016, 02:15 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a new NIN album coming soon that he's waiting until after the movie/soundtrack comes out (so that us rabid NIN fans are more likely to buy it while waiting for more NIN). Similar to when he announced NIN was touring again right after HTDA was announced so that the asshole fans wouldn't go just to see him perform and be jackasses during the show.

buckaroo
09-10-2016, 03:47 PM
I think between "Before the Flood" and "Juno" that will probably wrap it up for "other things" for 2016.

I think there is more on the way honestly. This and Juno kind of came out of nowhere and without any real promotion or mention from Trent. I expected something Trent would be talking about a little more or hyping up. I was also assuming something would be out related to the new season of Twin Peaks. Maybe a new How to Destoy Angels track? Or maybe that will come later since it isn't airing until next year. I also kind of expect more soundtrack work for a bigger scale movie.

I'm not sold on new nin this year, but I hope it does happen. Ideally he would announce Year Zero got picked up by Netflix and Year Zero part 2 is on the way.

implanted_microchip
09-10-2016, 03:57 PM
Ideally he would announce Year Zero got picked up by Netflix and Year Zero part 2 is on the way.

Don't put these dreams in my head

WorzelG
09-10-2016, 04:34 PM
The two other things that i think are in the works are the writing songs for a Fight Club musical (and Trent actually liked a tweet announcing this) and Mark Romanek doing a periscope talk where he said Trent would likely do a score for the Overlook film, sequel or prequel to the Shining I think which would be a perfect assignment

implanted_microchip
09-10-2016, 04:36 PM
Mark Romanek doing a periscope talk where he said Trent would likely do a score for the Overlook film, sequel or prequel to the Shining I think which would be a perfect assignment

Oh man, a Trent Reznor horror film score is something I could really go for right about now.

Honestly though the Fight Club musical has not interested me whatsoever at any point and I continue to struggle being open to it. Then again, the American Psycho musical sounded like the dumbest idea around, and now that cast recording is in my regular circulation these days.

WorzelG
09-10-2016, 04:53 PM
Oh man, a Trent Reznor horror film score is something I could really go for right about now.

Honestly though the Fight Club musical has not interested me whatsoever at any point and I continue to struggle being open to it. Then again, the American Psycho musical sounded like the dumbest idea around, and now that cast recording is in my regular circulation these days.
The thing about the musical is it seems right outside the comfort zone and I can't even imagine how it would manifest and let's say I'm intrigued.

But yes scoring a mark romanek horror film is a perfect match

Khrz
09-10-2016, 05:07 PM
Ideally he would announce Year Zero got picked up by Netflix and Year Zero part 2 is on the way.

I really don't care about either of those things, and even though I wouldn't say no to a return to the YZ sound (not the singing though, in my opinion that's one of the least emotionally involved Reznor ever was) I really dread a YZ2. As a general rule I just loathe the idea of bands treading old grounds and revisiting old concepts. As stupid as it may be, the fact that Hesitation Marks has been stated to be a continuation of sorts from The Downward Spiral has somewhat diminished the work for me.

As far as series go, YZ was really heavy handed and I don't see it working on a series format without looking like another silly dystopia. It would need some serious rewriting. It kinda worked as a concept album as i left you to decide which part was metaphorical and which part was actually happening, but in a film format I can't see it working, unless we're starting with a drugged-up unreliable narrator.

Microwave Jellyfish
09-10-2016, 05:32 PM
A docu with that title not being about "our" Flood (the producer) like I first thought, is kinda disappointing. Still excited to hear the score, of course. It's interesting that the trailer/preview shows Leo being mesmerized by narwhals - Fisher Stevens happens to be one of the producers behind the dolphin slaughter documentary "The Cove". Highly recommended.

Unrelated thought, I think Sanctified '13 is my favorite NIN song, and has been for two years now, closely fallowed by the feat. Peter Murphy Reptile/Haunted (...) radio performance. Two years on, and I still can't seem to get over this one girl, you see... and angsting about our break-up sort of became an ironic (except when I'm drunk) hobby and an art project of mine. Pathetic, innit?

Khrz
09-10-2016, 05:46 PM
Ahahahah yeah, I had that "so it's about NIN's past '94 era ?" thought when I read Reznor was involved in a "After The Flood" docu.

nooneimportant
09-10-2016, 07:56 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if new NIN came in time for Halloween.

ninlive
09-10-2016, 08:43 PM
December 31st 2016 = Halo V - VIII box set

I would not be mad at this in the slightest.

fillow
09-11-2016, 10:03 AM
I already have a headache thinking about how am I gonna tag the artist on this upcoming score. As if The Fountain wasn't hard enough.

Khrz
09-11-2016, 10:47 AM
I already have a headache thinking about how am I gonna tag the artist on this upcoming score. As if The Fountain wasn't hard enough.

"NIN. Other guys too. "

Frozen Beach
09-12-2016, 02:36 AM
Isn't it kind of long overdue for Trent to cover a Thomas Dolby song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVBWWyDuahY

Dr Channard
09-12-2016, 12:10 PM
If and when nin drops a new album, it’d be great to see Mills do the album art again.

stevejohnson
09-12-2016, 01:46 PM
If and when nin drops a new album, it’d be great to see Mills do the album art again.

My heart is holding out hope for something this Friday (*fingers crossed*)!

Bachy
09-12-2016, 07:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/2t3RSwn.jpg

Ryan
09-12-2016, 07:28 PM
Shallow
Shallow
Shallow
Shallow

niggo
09-13-2016, 04:03 AM
That extra guitar riff right at the end of the instrumental version of The Big Come Down is mind-blowingly awesome. Too bad it's not in the official version.

sick among the pure
09-13-2016, 08:37 PM
That extra guitar riff right at the end of the instrumental version of The Big Come Down is mind-blowingly awesome. Too bad it's not in the official version.

Maybe it'll be added to the live version on the next tour? (Wishful thinking, not based on actually knowing anything, but god that would be awesome).

implanted_microchip
09-13-2016, 09:11 PM
That whole ending section of Big Comedown where it's all

BRAH-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAHNAHNAHNAHNANAH

BRUH DUH DUH BRUH DUHUHH

BRUH DUH DUH BRUH DUHDUHHDUHDUHDUHDUHDUHDUH

BRUH-DUH-DA-DA-DADA BRAWNAWNAW NAWNAW

Is probably the coolest-sounding sequence of noise in the main NIN discography and the only real argument against that is if somebody else can come along and phonetically capture the essence of Ruiner

wizfan
09-13-2016, 10:04 PM

BRUH DUH DUH BRUH DUHUHH

Is probably the coolest-sounding sequence of noise in the main NIN discography and the only real argument against that is if somebody else can come along and phonetically capture the essence of Ruiner

We wouldn't have Saul's Black History Month or Kanye's Black Skinhead if it wasn't for The Big Come Down!

Also, allow me to cook Ruiner on phon(et)ics:

DAAAAAAAAAAAH DAAAAAAAAAAAH DAAAAAH DAAAAAAAAAAH DAAAAAAAAAAH.
DAAAAAAAAAAAAH (danananaaaaananananana)DAAAAAAAAAAAH DAAAAAH DAAAAAAAAAH DAAAAAAAAAH. DYAAAAAAAAAAAANGH.

Shnoorum
09-13-2016, 10:48 PM

BRUH DUH DUH BRUH DUHUHH

While great I'd definitely say Zero Sum could be a contender. The part where it shifts into the chorus without lyrics and it's all

BOOM BAH-DUM ZM DIDDLE BAH DA-DIDDLE-DUM
BOOM BAH-DUM DA DIDDLE BAH DA DOODLE-DUM

I actually signed in for the first time in years just to take part in phonetic Nine Inch Nails. Bravo Kleiner, bravo

Bachy
09-13-2016, 10:52 PM
I know Trent has probably played "Head Like a Hole" live for every one of his shows. I'm just fucking glad they filmed that performance for AATCHB, because they fucking nailed it that night. Easily one of the best live performances of a song that I've come across.

Bachy
09-13-2016, 11:22 PM
My heart breaks a little every time I hear Trent sing "I know you tried to rescue me."

fillow
09-14-2016, 01:49 AM
the only proper ending section for The Big Come Down is...
MMMMMMM BAH! G-GOTCHA-GOTCHA!

niggo
09-14-2016, 02:30 AM

BRUH DUH DUH BRUH DUHUHH

I'm trying really hard to figure out if that's only the original ending section or if you've already included the instrumental riff. :)

Either way, I definitely agree.

the only proper ending section for The Big Come Down is...
MMMMMMM BAH! G-GOTCHA-GOTCHA!

And don't forget: KTCH-KTCH--KTCH-KTCH!

eversonpoe
09-14-2016, 07:41 AM
I know Trent has probably played "Head Like a Hole" live for every one of his shows. I'm just fucking glad they filmed that performance for AATCHB, because they fucking nailed it that night. Easily one of the best live performances of a song that I've come across.

from what i remember, all the audio AND video for AATCHB is comped from multiple performances. there's not a single song on there that's from one straight performance. you might have the guitar from one night for half the song, and from another night for the other half, and the drums from three completely different nights.

Ryan
09-14-2016, 08:10 AM
Every time I think about how Trent reacts after reading our posts about new NIN I picture the 1:11 mark of this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39wPZs2t1M4

botley
09-14-2016, 08:17 AM
from what i remember, all the audio AND video for AATCHB is comped from multiple performances. there's not a single song on there that's from one straight performance. you might have the guitar from one night for half the song, and from another night for the other half, and the drums from three completely different nights.
This. They chose to film the tour with cheaper prosumer DV cameras specifically so they could afford to record a bunch more shows' audio, and stitch them all together in post-production (which was no mean feat, with circa-2001 offline editing workflow).

niggo
09-14-2016, 08:20 AM
Well, I can understand why you would stitch together different video sources -- but audio? With different parts from different shows within one song? I don't know how to feel about that.

fillow
09-14-2016, 08:30 AM
I think steady-cam edits of Gave Up, La Mer, TGB and The Mark... videos are probably from the same show (Gorge Amphitheatre?). They seem pretty seamless.
I also suspect that all of Reptile came from the same show since they played that song only 5 times on that tour.

eversonpoe
09-14-2016, 10:48 AM
Well, I can understand why you would stitch together different video sources -- but audio? With different parts from different shows within one song? I don't know how to feel about that.

when you play to a click track every night and have all the instruments individually mic'd, it's a lot easier to manage. and i can understand why...it's like comping any performance (i.e. i recorded drums for a friend's song yesterday, did five passes total, and used little bits from each take to get the best possible performance in each section), and trent was really being a perfectionist when editing that project.

SchwarzerAbt
09-14-2016, 11:24 AM
and trent was really being a perfectionist when editing that project.

When he was such a perfectionist he should have made sure everyone was wearing the same clothes on the nights it was taped. When watching the DVD I found it very irritating to have the band change outfits mid-song again and again.

fillow
09-14-2016, 11:36 AM
Tr has gone on record saying nin circa Fragility era, as good as it was,wasn't really as good as it can be and it's painful for him to revisit those performances past sobering up. They probably had to cut a lot of drunk antics and fuckups that one can witness on BDO/Japan/Euro Fests footage.

niggo
09-14-2016, 11:45 AM
when you play to a click track every night and have all the instruments individually mic'd, it's a lot easier to manage. and i can understand why...it's like comping any performance (i.e. i recorded drums for a friend's song yesterday, did five passes total, and used little bits from each take to get the best possible performance in each section), and trent was really being a perfectionist when editing that project.

Sure thing, I get that. Naturally that's totally fine when you're doing that in the studio. But doing that with a live show is where perfectionism goes too far, if you ask me. I don't know, maybe I would do the same, but as a listener and fan I believe that a live show should be at least one complete performance per song. I don't mind different video and audio sources, but a song in itself should be "real". But maybe that's just me.

botley
09-14-2016, 12:02 PM
^ I think they were really unsure whether it would actually work, and eventually sought outside help during post-production to ensure it was actually watchable.

I think steady-cam edits of Gave Up, La Mer, TGB and The Mark... videos are probably from the same show (Gorge Amphitheatre?). They seem pretty seamless.
I also suspect that all of Reptile came from the same show since they played that song only 5 times on that tour.
Yes, it's possible that the "Reptile" performance audio is from a single show (which would also be used for the finale of "March of the Pigs", since you can hear the "Reptile" intro begin as it ends). Possibly other songs too. But they recorded lots of shows with the specific intent to freely mix and match multiple performance elements in order to make it as strong as possible. Even the single-view camera angle has a visible cut, from being outdoors (at the Gorge) to an indoor show for the "quiet" songs, and the audio doesn't sync up with what you see the performers doing.

Tr has gone on record saying nin circa Fragility era, as good as it was,wasn't really as good as it can be and it's painful for him to revisit those performances past sobering up. They probably had to cut a lot of drunk antics and fuckups that one can witness on BDO/Japan/Euro Fests footage.
There weren't any embarrassing antics on the Canadian Fragility shows that I saw. But it's understood from what TR said in the Telegraph interview that he was on a rollercoaster of alcohol withdrawal and relapse until he sobered up, which was almost a year after the tour ended, also significantly delaying the post-production of And All That Could Have Been.

implanted_microchip
09-14-2016, 12:26 PM
When he was such a perfectionist he should have made sure everyone was wearing the same clothes on the nights it was taped. When watching the DVD I found it very irritating to have the band change outfits mid-song again and again.

Best part of this is the video of young Rob going "The best feeling is when I show this to somebody and they ask 'Where did you film this?' because they don't realize it's more than one show!"

BenAkenobi
09-14-2016, 12:36 PM
Best part of this is the video of young Rob going "The best feeling is when I show this to somebody and they ask 'Where did you film this?' because they don't realize it's more than one show!"

Do you have a link to said video?

sick among the pure
09-14-2016, 02:13 PM

I personally enjoy Robin's hair and makeup changes.

Papagolash
09-15-2016, 02:49 PM

The video of Reptile was from 2 shows definitely. There's a few times where you can see the difference of Trent with and without the black makup on his arms/chest/neck. And the most notable change is when the camera cuts from Trent looking to his left to him looking to his right , at 1:15 below. I do agree with you that the audio is from one show, the majority of the footage is from the less makeup show.

https://youtu.be/p_usBEy6jnI

billpulsipher
09-15-2016, 03:46 PM
notice on Trents twitter he deleted his entire tweet history...its listed as him having 9 tweets...for a guy who doesnt care about social media, seems like he went out of his way to delete his entire posting history.

BRoswell
09-15-2016, 05:02 PM
Yeah, we all noticed that...when it originally happened...a long time ago. :rolleyes:

heavenly_bearded
09-15-2016, 07:55 PM
Yeah, we all noticed that...when it originally happened...a long time ago. :rolleyes:

It was all there yesterday when I checked. Hopefully a sign of something coming "soon". I still want to hope that something might happen tomorrow.

BRoswell
09-15-2016, 08:05 PM
It was all there yesterday when I checked.

He hasn't deleted anything recently as far as I'm aware. Billy Boy just seems to think we should be up in arms about something Trent did over a year ago.

billpulsipher
09-15-2016, 08:10 PM

I havent looked at his twitter in 6 months..i should have known you probably have it bookmarked as your homepage....after all you are Trents number 1 fanboy

BRoswell
09-15-2016, 08:25 PM
I havent looked at his twitter in 6 months

Six months ago was still LONG after he did it, so why bring it up now? Next you'll be complaining about some random photo taken during the With Teeth tour. "Ugh. I hate Trent's pose in this picture. He's such an asshole. Why did he leave me at the prom?"

billpulsipher
09-15-2016, 09:38 PM
I dont give a shit that he deleted his entire tweet history. Its just odd that he would take the time out of his day to delete 7 years of tweets...why bother..unless he is embarrassed by all his tirades from 2009

ninlive
09-15-2016, 09:49 PM
Why did Kraftwerk go out and delete all of their tweets? It is what it is. Not like he had that many to begin with. and not like I know how many there were. (349)

Bachy
09-15-2016, 10:47 PM
I wish Trent had done a Still version of "We're in this Together." I think it really would be wonderful to hear a softer more simplistic version of the song similar to "The Day the World Went Away."

billpulsipher
09-15-2016, 11:52 PM
Why did Kraftwerk go out and delete all of their tweets? It is what it is. Not like he had that many to begin with. and not like I know how many there were. (349)

I was looking for the Reznor tweet from 2009 when he called andreaurbanfox and some escort girl a "uniformed cunt. a prostitute and a pig"..i wanted to make a fb status out of it

WorzelG
09-16-2016, 01:32 AM
I was looking for the Reznor tweet from 2009 when he called andreaurbanfox and some escort girl a "uniformed cunt. a prostitute and a pig"..i wanted to make a fb status out of it

Maybe now he's a member of the Academy and a rep of Apple Music he's decided such tweets are unbecoming, ha ha. Maybe it was easier to have a fresh start than go back and delete individually

buckaroo
09-16-2016, 01:20 PM
Even though The Day The World Went Away isn't one of my favorite nin songs I could listen to that drone before the guitar kicks in on a loop for hours. Also, the live version from And All That Could Have Been is one of their best live moments in my opinion. I wouldn't expect it to work so well, especially as an encore, but it just sounds amazing. Especially the extended "jam" at the end.

wizfan
09-16-2016, 07:14 PM
Relistening to Hesitation Marks today. It sounds like a very different album like it used to sound when I would blast it 100+ times between 2013 and 2014. I like that it doesn't sound stale at all to me. It has retained its freshness, somehow.

implanted_microchip
09-16-2016, 07:59 PM
Relistening to Hesitation Marks today. It sounds like a very different album like it used to sound when I would blast it 100+ times between 2013 and 2014. I like that it doesn't sound stale at all to me. It has retained its freshness, somehow.

Just last night I put the vinyl on for the first time in a long time and I was really struck by how much I think it's held up, overall. I really can't name a single song that I don't like on it and find the whole thing flows very, very well.

I was also very stunned to see how much more I now love Find My Way. I really just think it wasn't a song quite made for live venues and after seeing it 3 times at 3 shows that stuck with me, whereas, in studio, on album, focused and not surrounded by chattering half-drunk people waiting for Wish to play, it's really something else. Amazing how we can forget those things sometimes.

I also think even more now about elevenism's amazing point of Disappointed fitting really, really well as criticism of people who expected Obama to change the world and it goes hand in hand with comments Trent made in 2013. I don't think that's the entire focus at all, but could certainly see it clicking in, especially with Satellite being on the album.

And I finally realized why I love Running -- it's basically his attempt at writing a song that could've been on Talking Heads' Speaking in Tongues.

wizfan
09-16-2016, 08:23 PM
Just last night I put the vinyl on for the first time in a long time and I was really struck by how much I think it's held up, overall. I really can't name a single song that I don't like on it and find the whole thing flows very, very well. I was also very stunned to see how much more I now love Find My Way. I really just think it wasn't a song quite made for live venues and after seeing it 3 times at 3 shows that stuck with me, whereas, in studio, on album, focused and not surrounded by chattering half-drunk people waiting for Wish to play, it's really something else. Amazing how we can forget those things sometimes. I also think even more now about elevenism's amazing point of Disappointed fitting really, really well as criticism of people who expected Obama to change the world and it goes hand in hand with comments Trent made in 2013. I don't think that's the entire focus at all, but could certainly see it clicking in, especially with Satellite being on the album. And I finally realized why I love Running -- it's basically his attempt at writing a song that could've been on Talking Heads' Speaking in Tongues. I'm listening to the vinyl version too! Well, a vinyl rip, but... still. I prefer its mastering to the standard and "audiophile" digital releases. Analog synths need an analog release! And, holy shit, you're right. Running is totally a "Talking Heads gone wrong" thing. I say that as a compliment, as Trent has always liked twisting his musical influences into dark and/or insane shit, just like While I'm Still Here pays a somber, subdued and minimalistic tribute to Hank Williams, Sr. I love it that, three years down the line, we keep talking about HM. Love it or hate it, it still gave us plenty of room for discussion.

BRoswell
09-16-2016, 08:25 PM
And I finally realized why I love Running -- it's basically his attempt at writing a song that could've been on Talking Heads' Speaking in Tongues.

Hmm, interesting. I never thought of it that way. I'm going to have to listen to it again with that in mind.

implanted_microchip
09-16-2016, 08:59 PM
wizfan BRoswell I think I really noticed it because I've been watching/listening to Stop Making Sense quite a lot lately and, in general, the highly-percussive, manic freak-out rampancy of that performance and so much material from Speaking in Tongues seemed to fit right in with Running, all the way down to Trent's crazy, repetitive, fast and breathy vocals that a lot of people dislike but I've always felt worked for me for whatever reason.

If he covered something like Pull Up the Roots, I'd really expect it to be of a similar nature. Hesitation Marks seemed to have way more of him letting himself play around with his inspirations -- the opening drum machine on Everything is shot-for-shot Depeche Mode's New Life, and the song itself is totally New Wave Cure/New Order/Joy Division, Running is very Byrne-influenced -- I'd really love to see people try and spot what other songs might be under the influence of, because it felt to me like that whole time period was him being more open than ever to letting his inspirations have a bit more sway on his styles (only to then be shit on for it, of course, as is tradition).

m15a
09-16-2016, 09:49 PM
Maybe now he's a member of the Academy and a rep of Apple Music he's decided such tweets are unbecoming, ha ha. Maybe it was easier to have a fresh start than go back and delete individually
I struck out this tweet.
It's shaming me.
I'm unbecoming.

r_z
09-17-2016, 09:22 AM
I'd really love to see people try and spot what other songs might be under the influence of

"Copy Of A" always felt like it was heavily inspired by Factory Floor's debut on DFA Records, "Two Different Ways" especially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4T2K-dkxA4

EndlessLoveless
09-19-2016, 06:59 PM
Man i killed some MAJOR time this weekend when i stumbled into the Hotline's archives of old reviews and interviews. Before i knew it hours had passed and my phone was about to die. I love going back and re-reading all of that every few years. My wife and kid werent as into it as i was though. Thank you leviathant for all of your work! You are a fucking legend.

Bachy
09-19-2016, 09:17 PM
JMJ was a solid bassist, but I won't lie and say that I wasn't a little bit relieved when he finally ditched the fro.

sentient
09-20-2016, 08:47 AM
Hearing the percussive opening to Walking On Sunshine by Katrina And The Waves makes me think of March Of The Pigs...every time.

elevenism
09-20-2016, 09:37 AM
Has it ever occured to you guys that as rabid NIN fans, nearly all of us have some sort of darkness about us, or have been through some awful existential crisis, or addiction, or SOMETHING?
I mean, unless you ignore the lyrics.

We are all such nice people, but this music that brings us together is very dark, lyrically.

sweeterthan
09-20-2016, 12:06 PM
Ha! Everyone goes through stuff but I see your point. Before my life changing car accident, 12 year old me thought Trent was scary. After eating dashboard, losing a parent in a car accident and suffering through rounds of reconstructive surgery, his music appealed to me greatly and his abrasive image was sexy to 14 year old me.

Year later, listening to the fragile for the first time and hearing TDTWWA and the line "The plastic face forced to portray" hit me hard. People slam his lyrics but that song will always be an uncanny echo of the confusion and despair I went through after that event. That day...

neorev
09-20-2016, 12:12 PM
Has it ever occured to you guys that as rabid NIN fans, nearly all of us have some sort of darkness about us, or have been through some awful existential crisis, or addiction, or SOMETHING?
I mean, unless you ignore the lyrics.

We are all such nice people, but this music that brings us together is very dark, lyrically.

I can say I fit the bill :)

elevenism
09-20-2016, 01:02 PM
Ha! Everyone goes through stuff but I see your point. Before my life changing car accident, 12 year old me thought Trent was scary. After eating dashboard, losing a parent in a car accident and suffering through rounds of reconstructive surgery, his music appealed to me greatly and his abrasive image was sexy to 14 year old me.

Year later, listening to the fragile for the first time and hearing TDTWWA and the line "The plastic face forced to portray" hit me hard. People slam his lyrics but that song will always be an uncanny echo of the confusion and despair I went through after that event. That day...

Damn. I am so sorry. That's fucking awful. What an awful day.
I flipped a car five times with my wife in it on our first date, and we somehow emerged fairly unscathed.
The car didn't look like anyone could have survived.
So i know about the horror, the feeling of everything going terribly wrong, and the realization that you are like powerless.
But i don't know about the agony you went through. :(

I love trent's lyrics too. It sounds like we kinda got into nin in the same time frame.

joplinpicasso
09-20-2016, 01:30 PM
Damn. I am so sorry. That's fucking awful. What an awful day.
I flipped a car five times with my wife in it on our first date, and we somehow emerged fairly unscathed.
The car didn't look like anyone could have survived.
So i know about the horror, the feeling of everything going terribly wrong, and the realization that you are like powerless.
But i don't know about the agony you went through. :(

I love trent's lyrics too. It sounds like we kinda got into nin in the same time frame.
sweeterthan and elevenism, thanks for sharing those personal and horrific stories. Makes me think on a lot.

You also make me read into the lyrics of TDTWWA differently yet again, considering the stated meaning behind it.

elevenism
09-20-2016, 01:39 PM
joplinpicasso , sweeterthan 's story was the horrific one.
Mine was just a bit of identification.

As for me, i got into this band at 12 when broken came out because it was unlike anything else. It was somehow WAY heavier and darker than pantera or metallica.

Then, i wound up having a lifelong struggle with drugs and alcohol that has nearly killed me over and over and over again. That's MY horrific story. (i've been accused of telling it too much around here ;) )

And i relate 99% of trent's music to drugs, from the like pro-drug anthem "please" to the recovery inspired vibe of With Teeth. It's so interesting, because i think that people who haven't been through it might miss that in With Teeth, the recovery theme. Songs like With Teeth, Love is Not Enough, YNWYA, and even Only, can be read from like a recovery perspective, and i think it's 100% intentional.
I will say that that album helped save my life when i was at the bottom of my drinking.
And recovery teaches you that life is NOT ABOUT YOU, so it made sense for trent to turn his focus outward on Year Zero after a career of beautiful but ultimately kind of masturbatory, self involved tracks. Now don't get me wrong, i LOVE all those tracks and NIN is my favorite band of all time. I'm just saying that i seriously think that's why he changed his writing persepective at that time.

sheepdean
09-20-2016, 01:43 PM
No I'm an asshole

elevenism
09-20-2016, 01:50 PM
No I'm an asshole
you terrible bastard :P

yeah i didn't word that quite right.

how about this. I'M a fucking nice person, and...

is that better? that's more fucking like it, right? :P

sick among the pure
09-20-2016, 06:29 PM
Just a little bit of depression which probably stemmed from unknown at the time gender dysphoria for me. Something about hating every bit of your physical existence makes NIN appealing.

SarahConnor
09-21-2016, 08:14 PM
I think that the popular image on NIN misreads the themes of the lyrics, one of which is 'survival,' confirmed by the excellent tales here. Keep living and stay strong, all.

Ryan
09-23-2016, 07:03 AM
Member when Trent used to have an online presence and post updates?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndI9vkgw_1Y

sweeterthan
09-23-2016, 07:13 AM
I miss the online communication too. The last two years, we've barely heard anything from him. Look at this long ass post from 2012. https://www.facebook.com/treznor/posts/3265399773880:0
Where is that guy?

Mutilated
09-23-2016, 07:57 AM
The silence is deafening - I'm starting to take it personally! hahaha

Vertigo
09-23-2016, 01:42 PM
I miss the online communication too. The last two years, we've barely heard anything from him. Look at this long ass post from 2012. https://www.facebook.com/treznor/posts/3265399773880:0
Where is that guy?

He even called us his friends. :'(

It hurts when you're waiting by the phone and your friend doesn't call.

Then again, I'd imagine it also hurts when some of your friends continually criticise everything you've done for 11 years.

SM Rollinger
09-23-2016, 01:47 PM
Just confirmed "DIVE & SLAM" for early 2017 release. TR is saying that because of tragedy of the killing of Harambe, he has decided to re-record the vocals as a tribute to everybody's lovable gorilla friend.

Khrz
09-23-2016, 02:17 PM
I rarely facepalm, but, yeah...

bobbie solo
09-23-2016, 03:38 PM
Just confirmed "DIVE & SLAM" for early 2017 release. TR is saying that because of tragedy of the killing of Harambe, he has decided to re-record the vocals as a tribute to everybody's lovable gorilla friend.

no.

10 characters

TheBang
09-23-2016, 06:20 PM
This. They chose to film the tour with cheaper prosumer DV cameras specifically so they could afford to record a bunch more shows' audio, and stitch them all together in post-production (which was no mean feat, with circa-2001 offline editing workflow).

https://web.archive.org/web/20030410030722/http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2001/12/nindvd/index.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20010213224152/http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2000/06/trent/index4.html
http://www.macworld.com/article/1001384/reznor.html

It's fun hearing Trent geek out about computers.

Ryan
09-24-2016, 05:29 AM
Member when Trent used to have an online presence and post updates?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndI9vkgw_1Y

Member the typewriter font on NIN.com with weekly updates and things to look forward to?

Member Tension live set that would be an expansion of the YouTube video upload?

Member not feeling like Everything (Instrumental Version) that leaked from a reddit user was all we had to look forward to?

Member a potential Gary Numan + TR collaboration mentioned back in 2009?

Oh yeah, I member that!

...member Juno?

...no, not rly...

SarahConnor
09-24-2016, 11:51 PM
I enjoy the silence it plays a large part of suspense.

sick among the pure
09-25-2016, 02:04 AM
I enjoy the silence it plays a large part of suspense.

Like a seemingly endless loop of Pinion at the start of a show.

jarj
09-25-2016, 09:39 AM
Does anyone know where to get all the Jubilee (Aaron North's band) tracks that are out there? Preferably would like to buy them in a way that somehow gets back to the artists involved but I don't think an official channel like that exists for them anymore.

SarahConnor
09-26-2016, 12:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12yG21pfhEE&list=PL0vdHoqd9wy9GD5T8zCrMlRHMqAkEj1g3&index=16

I was away from NIN until Ghosts and really dig the Aaron North guitar sound. I really enjoy this lo-fi, sludgy recording of a loose soundcheck. I know it doesn't pass quality control but its good to hear them sounding like a basement band, after hearing them in HD for so long. The songs within the video aren't even their best. Improved by the spontaneity and mystery.
North is a maniacal guitarist. That Reading 'HLAH' is just what I needed today.

implanted_microchip
09-26-2016, 01:57 PM
The Tetsuo Theme is like The Downward Spiral and Year Zero having sex for five and a half minutes and I wish it went on for an hour

buckaroo
09-26-2016, 02:16 PM
The Tetsuo Theme is like The Downward Spiral and Year Zero having sex for five and a half minutes and I wish it went on for an hour

At this point an album of "Tetsuo Theme's" with vocals would be just about the best thing that could happen. That and the deluxe version of The Fragile and nin could retire.

implanted_microchip
09-26-2016, 03:07 PM
At this point an album of "Tetsuo Theme's" with vocals would be just about the best thing that could happen. That and the deluxe version of The Fragile and nin could retire.

It's really all I want at this point. And I don't even care that much about a Fragile deluxe edition, I just want a way to get the instrumentals without Apple Music and a way to get it on vinyl without having a baby just so I can sell it to afford it used

Jdirty661
09-26-2016, 04:12 PM
It's really all I want at this point. And I don't even care that much about a Fragile deluxe edition, I just want a way to get the instrumentals without Apple Music and a way to get it on vinyl without having a baby just so I can sell it to afford it used

https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/3bq5v1/the_fragile_with_teeth_instrumentals_torrent_links/

SarahConnor
09-27-2016, 10:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNzGzdbm4to

On a spree of 2007-era North guitar videos. Digging all of the bent notes and feedback-playing. This is incarnation of the live band is news to me! Great discovery when Spin or whomever wrote his story. Godspeed Mr. North.

reznovka
09-27-2016, 12:45 PM
Member the typewriter font on NIN.com with weekly updates and things to look forward to?

Member Tension live set that would be an expansion of the YouTube video upload?

Member not feeling like Everything (Instrumental Version) that leaked from a reddit user was all we had to look forward to?

Member a potential Gary Numan + TR collaboration mentioned back in 2009?

Oh yeah, I member that!

...member Juno?

...no, not rly...

Juno is still kinda in my mind...not the best memory but it's there...

buckaroo
09-27-2016, 01:32 PM

Honestly, this is all it would take. It just seems so odd to have no information for such long periods of time. There are plenty of bands that are inactive, but still have a strong presence and as far as we know nin is still active. Why not say something about the Before the Flood score? Why not give an update on any reissues in the works or a new album... or anything. It would literally take seconds to give an update to the fans.

FernandoDante
09-27-2016, 09:07 PM
I haven't even listened to fucking Juno. As much as I love Trent's music, knowing that an instrumental song is the only thing we've got, that kinda bums me out. I'm sure I'll give it a listen at some point.

implanted_microchip
09-28-2016, 02:46 AM
I feel like Juno would've had a much warmer reaction had it been in addition to other things going on. If there'd been a new NIN single release date or album or something like that and then that came along as "Oh hey and by the way," I think those uninterested in his score work wouldn't care as they'd be happy and pre-occuppied anyway and those that are more "eh" about it would've seen it as a cool bonus.

I don't know, I feel like all the issues in the NIN fanbase currently would be easily prevented if anybody involved in the thing was vocal and communicative. The fact there was such a period where Trent and Co. really were so directly engaging and shared so much and so many updates and announcements so often makes it only worse, since a lot of people who've been around for a while got accustomed to that.

WorzelG
09-28-2016, 04:44 AM
Maybe he's learned his lesson in not announcing things until they are actually going to happen? Given the amount of things get announced then scrapped

fillow
09-28-2016, 04:49 AM
^^
He can try to learn another one: deliver things you promised or at least give any explanation on why you wouldn't.
I like the way Trent handled failures with Closure DVD, LITS concert film and Tapeworm. I don't like total radio silence on everything else.

reznovka
09-28-2016, 10:41 AM
Now you mentioned it I realized how quiet he became in the past years.
Well...he got a family and got older. Maybe we already saw the best times...

bobbie solo
09-28-2016, 11:01 AM
the instrumentation on this still rips, despite your thoughts on the rapping. I personally only feel that Diddy's parts don't work b/c...ya know...it's Diddy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64qvmd3v-2Q

implanted_microchip
09-28-2016, 02:46 PM
Now you mentioned it I realized how quiet he became in the past years.
Well...he got a family and got older. Maybe we already saw the best times...

I just fail to see how that makes it impossible to tweet every month or so with a casual update or write a single blogpost or something. He is not the first artist to have a family and to age and yet plenty are still communicative and able to let their followings know what's going on. It's just frustrating never being able to confidently expect anything announced and never get any real updates at all.

ninlive
09-28-2016, 03:01 PM
Although, TR/NIN is one of my favorite artists/bands. I understand that most bands can go years between releasing new material. Not going to lie, it was nice to get updates from my favorite artist daily/monthly. But we (as NIN fans, and how many others have stated this fact in the past) have been spoiled with an onslaught of releases from 05-2010. That's just unheard of! I loved it. But realistically, you can't have a steady state of releases almost every year. Quality over quantity any day. But at the end of the day. Even I would pay to hear obscure recording sessions that have no end or start. :p

sweeterthan
09-28-2016, 03:02 PM
I made this to demonstrate the difference between what we're used to and what we're getting. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160928/4f92eb70da905a104e334a5d44feafc2.jpg

BRoswell
09-28-2016, 03:38 PM
God forbid Trent doesn't write paragraph after paragraph every time he gets on social media. :rolleyes:

pcpunk
09-28-2016, 03:46 PM
i'm hoping this silence is because he's just too busy with the next NIN album to really comment on anything else. like, maybe the next NIN album turned into a much more major piece of work than he initially envisioned. and soon, he's gonna drop it on us AND WE DON'T EVEN KNOW, YOU GUYS.

Khrz
09-28-2016, 03:49 PM
I wish I still was as innocent as you. Stay pure, you brave little soldier, don't let this cruel world bring you down !

somewhat_
09-28-2016, 04:29 PM
I'm really starting to feel like it's not coming out this year

sheepdean
09-28-2016, 04:33 PM
I'm really starting to feel like it's not coming out this year
I felt like that in 2015

Khrz
09-28-2016, 04:42 PM
I felt like that in 2015

And see what happened ? Nothing came out in 2015 ! So everyone quit feeling that way if you want it this year god damnit !!!

SM Rollinger
09-28-2016, 04:43 PM
And see what happened ? Nothing came out in 2015 ! So everyone quit feeling that way if you want it this year god damnit !!!

What, Nothing Records sampler in 2015?

blassster
09-28-2016, 05:02 PM
WHERE IS TRENT
https://i.imgur.com/IIHobu0.png

Bachy
09-28-2016, 05:30 PM
Trent's waiting until Election Day to release YZ2

m15a
09-28-2016, 10:46 PM
I just fail to see how that makes it impossible to tweet every month or so with a casual update or write a single blogpost or something. He is not the first artist to have a family and to age and yet plenty are still communicative and able to let their followings know what's going on. It's just frustrating never being able to confidently expect anything announced and never get any real updates at all.
He's not the first artist to not post on social media every month either. I'm pretty sure Beethoven didn't even have a Facebook page.

Seriously, though, I find the annoyance about not posting updates kind of odd. I follow a lot of artists that don't post updates even yearly or once a decade. Even Taylor Swift (who I think literally has the biggest social media presence in terms of followers) hasn't posted anything about music in the last 6 months (and that was just a promo for a music video).

And we know what's going on with Trent. He scored a film that's being (widely) released next month. I know, that was announced a whole 19 days ago, so not exactly recent.

billpulsipher
09-28-2016, 10:55 PM
my guess is he scrapped the whole fucking thing...NIN might be dead and buried for all we know....He apparently keeps getting asked to score films and hasnt learned the art of saying "NO"....combined with the fact this apple bullshit has most likely consumed most of his time....6 months from now if nothing has come out,. I think it is safe to say NIN is finished

BRoswell
09-28-2016, 11:31 PM
Seriously, though, I find the annoyance about not posting updates kind of odd.

It's downright silly to me. People are acting like the sky is falling just because Trent hasn't written some huge post about what he's done or been doing. As far as I can tell, he's held up half of his 2016 promise so far ("Other stuff, too."), and I see no reason why he can't hold up the other half before the year is out. People are just filling the void with bullshit at this point.

tony.parente
09-29-2016, 01:52 AM
http://www.gizoogle.net/index.php?search=nine+inch+nails&se=Gizoogle+Dis+Shiznit

Here is the nin wiki link sourced through gizoogle. (http://www.gizoogle.net/xfer.php?link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Inch_Nails&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjRtsHl_rPPAhWGBsAKHWUkBL8QmhMIaygAMAw&usg=AFQjCNFMk8pQQiQr022wIEsLKPOoJlLfEQ)

"There was a scene w[h]ere I was lyin on tha ground, appearin ta be dead, up in a Lodger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lodger_(album))-esque pose n' our crazy asses had a cold-ass lil camera wit a funky-ass big-ass drizzle balloon filled wit helium hooked up ta it ... tha straight-up original gangsta one our phat asses did, we started tha film, I was layin on tha ground n' tha ropes dat was holdin tha balloon snapped, tha camera just took off tha fuck into tha atmosphere ... tha camera landed two hundred milez away up in a gangbangin' farmerz field somewhere, so peek-a-boo, clear tha way, I be comin' thru fo'sho yo. Dude findz it n' takes it ta tha police, thankin dat itz a surveillizzle camera fo' da sticky-icky-icky, they pimp tha film n' be thinkin dat itz some sort of snuff film of a murder, give it ta tha STD n' have pathologists lookin all up in tha body saying, 'yeah, he rotting,' (I had corn starch on me, right) 'hez been decomposin fo' 3 weeks.' Yo ass could peep tha other thugz of tha crew struttin away n' they had these weird tracksuits on, n' they thought dat shiznit was some kind of gang slaying.[43] (http://en.wikipedia.org/#cite_note-43)"

WorzelG
09-29-2016, 02:43 AM
my guess is he scrapped the whole fucking thing...NIN might be dead and buried for all we know....He apparently keeps getting asked to score films and hasnt learned the art of saying "NO"....combined with the fact this apple bullshit has most likely consumed most of his time....6 months from now if nothing has come out,. I think it is safe to say NIN is finished

Come on, I'm sure Trent has turned down plenty of film scores, he's hardly done any considering he won an Oscar for his first one.
But I agree with the Apple stuff, I really hope his involvement has ended now

Mutilated
09-29-2016, 03:02 AM
Since its not announced now, any possible forthcoming announcement will be for a release in 2017 I'd say. Unless he does a "The Slip".

WorzelG
09-29-2016, 03:21 AM
Since its not announced now, any possible forthcoming announcement will be for a release in 2017 I'd say. Unless he does a "The Slip".

I hope he goes back to doing video teasers, I really liked those htda videos.

r_z
09-29-2016, 04:13 AM
He'll probably pull an "Apple exclusive" since that's a thing nowadays and he's working for them.

buckaroo
09-29-2016, 06:51 AM
He's not the first artist to not post on social media every month either. I'm pretty sure Beethoven didn't even have a Facebook page.

Seriously, though, I find the annoyance about not posting updates kind of odd. I follow a lot of artists that don't post updates even yearly or once a decade. Even Taylor Swift (who I think literally has the biggest social media presence in terms of followers) hasn't posted anything about music in the last 6 months (and that was just a promo for a music video).

And we know what's going on with Trent. He scored a film that's being (widely) released next month. I know, that was announced a whole 19 days ago, so not exactly recent.

I see no problem at all with an artist choosing not to post anything on social media or give updates as to what they are currently working on. However, what does bother me is when an artist regularly makes announcements of things with imminent release and then never offers an update, even if that update is to announce it is no longer in the works. If he had never tweeted anything it wouldn't be an issue, but he tweeted in large bold font "new nin coming in 2016" and nine months later...

Substance242
09-29-2016, 06:57 AM
It would be funny (for me), if there was a counter*1 on nin.com, which would reset itself to random values few times a day. ;-)

*1 yes, inspired by depechemode.com

Khrz
09-29-2016, 07:09 AM
I see no problem at all with an artist choosing not to post anything on social media or give updates as to what they are currently working on. However, what does bother me is when an artist regularly makes announcements of things with imminent release and then never offers an update, even if that update is to announce it is no longer in the works. If he had never tweeted anything it wouldn't be an issue, but he tweeted in large bold font "new nin coming in 2016" and nine months later...

You have just defined "Soon".

Ryan
09-29-2016, 07:46 AM

"Not true."

reznovka
09-29-2016, 08:46 AM

He might be able to post updates but maybe he just doesn't care as much as he did before he got kids 'n stuff.
Film scores promote themselves and he is busy with Apple Music.
Maybe he knows that nobody really cares about Apple Music, so he stays silent.

I still hope he's just enjoying our torture and in some weeks there's an update on nin.com with a download link and a shop update as well :D

WorzelG
09-29-2016, 09:33 AM
He'll probably pull an "Apple exclusive" since that's a thing nowadays and he's working for them.

How would that make any commercial sense for either NIN OR Apple? He's not Drake, if anything he should make stuff available everywhere to pull more people in. The instrumental fragile thing was different as it was on Connect and available for free

Bachy
09-29-2016, 10:13 AM
Come on, I'm sure Trent has turned down plenty of film scores, he's hardly done any considering he won an Oscar for his first one.
But I agree with the Apple stuff, I really hope his involvement has ended now

He did turn down both a scoring opportunity and cameo in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, which was probably for the best.

billpulsipher
09-29-2016, 11:41 AM
Remember kiddies, Tension dvd will be released "Spring 2014".........lmao

BRoswell
09-29-2016, 12:03 PM
Remember kiddies, Tension dvd will be released "Spring 2014".........lmao

Remember, Billy Boy...he's already released music this year.

musidora
09-29-2016, 12:06 PM
He might be able to post updates but maybe he just doesn't care as much as he did before he got kids 'n stuff.

Yeah, no shit. When you've got a job and 4 kids under 6, certain things just move to the backburner.

sweeterthan
09-29-2016, 12:14 PM
There's a fourth kid now??? They are busy for sure.

musidora
09-29-2016, 12:21 PM
The youngest born last year is a pair of twins, apparently. He probably hasn't slept a lot lately, let alone thought to provide us with daily updates.

bobbie solo
09-29-2016, 01:26 PM
jesus christ, really? Twins? and now 4 total? Poor guy is turning into Jim Gaffigan.

sweeterthan
09-29-2016, 01:38 PM
This is the first I've heard that it was two babies. But I guess people are speculating that based on the pic Mariqueen posted to instagram. I thought it was just a baby friend but I'm horrible at clues.

musidora
09-29-2016, 01:46 PM
But she doesn't strike me as the type who'd post her friends' kids on her social media. *shrug*

(apologies, I really didn't mean to drag this thread into the gossip gutter :p)

sweeterthan
09-29-2016, 02:16 PM
There's a new pic with two babies. I did notice the two cribs in the laundry pic but it never occurred to me that it could be two babies. Like I said above, I never pick up on these things.

two babies would definitely slow down record making, I think. The big complaint here is no updates from him but this information changes my outlook on the situation for sure. Four kids is a lot.

allegro
09-29-2016, 02:42 PM
to be fair, the laundry pic was from 2 years ago, and the other baby in the new pic is accompanied by 2 little hearts and emoticons implying the other baby is her baby's love, so to speak. But conspiracies sure are fun in NINland. He's probably busy composing a quadruple album magnum opus, The Fragile Downward Spiral With Teeth.

sweeterthan
09-29-2016, 03:03 PM
Three more months of 2016...

WorzelG
09-29-2016, 04:10 PM
It's still a quarter of the year and we have a vocal track to look forward to on this before the flood soundtrack. I'm not too worried yet. If nothing is announced by December then yes

TheBang
09-29-2016, 04:49 PM
You guys are fucking nuts. Someone has already edited Trent and Q's Wikipedias to say that they have twins? And even worse, the Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/p/BCHiOb3huyb/) you cite even says "our baby" not "our babies". Crazy.

allegro
09-29-2016, 05:20 PM
You guys are fucking nuts. Someone has already edited Trent and Q's Wikipedias to say that they have twins? And even worse, the Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/p/BCHiOb3huyb/) you cite even says "our baby" not "our babies". Crazy.
they bought the other one on iTunes

FernandoDante
09-29-2016, 08:18 PM
Maybe he's learned his lesson in not announcing things until they are actually going to happen? Given the amount of things get announced then scrapped
An announcement of a hiatus would've been better than this half-expectation we constantly have.

Krazy
09-29-2016, 10:21 PM
You guys are fucking nuts. Someone has already edited Trent and Q's Wikipedias to say that they have twins?.

We're nuts? I'd blame the crazies on Faceass and other social media before ETS.

musidora
09-30-2016, 07:41 AM
Q has commented on that photo pointing out it has a tag. No clue if that was there yesterday or if she added it once people started losing their minds...nobody certainly noticed it yesterday.
Only the baby on the right is theirs (looks like a girl? idk). Anyway, three kids is still a lot.

sweeterthan
09-30-2016, 07:59 AM
Editing the wiki page is extreme but speculating about a fourth secret baby after they had the secret third baby doesn't seem that far fetched to me. They're really good at having a private life. Good for them. Release the music.

r_z
09-30-2016, 08:30 AM
I read/heard a lot about Corgan and Reznor having some kind of rivalry (Starsuckers Video, Reznor's comments in 2007 about Zeitgeist etc...). But where does that rivalry come from? Did Billy ever do something to angry Reznor or vice versa?

fillow
09-30-2016, 09:10 AM
^^
Don't think so. Probably just a result of interviewers trying to get two of the 90s rock icons talk stuff about each other.

Also: Cortney Love (duh)

billpulsipher
09-30-2016, 11:12 AM
I read/heard a lot about Corgan and Reznor having some kind of rivalry (Starsuckers Video, Reznor's comments in 2007 about Zeitgeist etc...). But where does that rivalry come from? Did Billy ever do something to angry Reznor or vice versa?

Most musicians that were Corgans peers had a "rivalry" with him since he is one of the most hated guys within his own industry....He's regarded as a whiny bitch and full of himself. Kurt hated him, Thurston and Kim hated him. Cornell, Vedder, Mike Patton, etc. Everyone liked to mock Billy boy. I think Trent just said in some interviews he doesnt like the Pumpkins music...so the media ran with it and said it was a "rivalry"....plus its common knowledge Billy had a hard on for NIN and even tried to sound like them in the late 90s before his band imploded

SM Rollinger
09-30-2016, 12:44 PM
Yeah guys dint u hear about TRs secret son, Bartholomew Harambe Reznor?

somewhat_
09-30-2016, 03:08 PM
'Tis the month? (for something, anything - news, info, single)

I lose, unless we count "before the flood"

tony.parente
09-30-2016, 05:54 PM
Yeah guys dint u hear about TRs secret son, Bartholomew Beelzebub Harambe Jebediah Reznor?
Fixed it for you.

Ryan
09-30-2016, 06:00 PM
Fixed it for you.

http://66.media.tumblr.com/5f2436c56af3b7dc94831f9b18dd3e20/tumblr_o61kxcDHSu1slsalco2_500.gif

sick among the pure
09-30-2016, 09:44 PM
I go through bouts of "I just want a NIN tour so bad right now" and another one is hitting.
I want to have an excuse to see my line friends up in Canada, over in Ohio, and down in NJ/Philly/DC (because who am I kidding, they haven't hit up Buffalo since 99, they're never coming to Buffalo again), I want those fun in line and on the floor waiting for the opener conversations, I want the rush of adrenaline as the opener finishes their set and the road crew come out to change the gear around, I want that smell that's a mix of the smoke from the stage and the slightly different smelling smoke in the pit as they mix in my face on the rail.

somewhat_
10-01-2016, 10:56 AM
Since we don't get any information straight from the source, I will have to assume everything nails related I've read on the internet is true, and if so, this is my best guess as to what's up (with links):

New nine inch nails was originally planned to be released this year (http://twitter.com/trent_reznor/status/677954305752625152) (fall?) with a tour to follow (http://inforoo.com/thread/35291?page=84). The Patriots day score came up relatively last minute (http://www.hans-zimmer.com/index.php?rub=disco&id=1479) (probably months after TR's tweet) and has subsequently pushed the entire NIN release/tour schedule off until mid/late 2017. (https://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?87330-2017-Wishlist&p=3096364#post3096364)

WorzelG
10-01-2016, 11:26 AM
Check out the name of this new Renault cars.

https://twitter.com/renault_uk/status/781569929770401792

FernandoDante
10-01-2016, 06:10 PM
Since we don't get any information straight from the source, I will have to assume everything nails related I've read on the internet is true, and if so, this is my best guess as to what's up (with links):

New nine inch nails was originally planned to be released this year (http://twitter.com/trent_reznor/status/677954305752625152) (fall?) with a tour to follow (http://inforoo.com/thread/35291?page=84). The Patriots day score came up relatively last minute (http://www.hans-zimmer.com/index.php?rub=disco&id=1479) (probably months after TR's tweet) and has subsequently pushed the entire NIN release/tour schedule off until mid/late 2017. (https://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?87330-2017-Wishlist&p=3096364#post3096364)
I read "Patriots day" and literally had no idea what you were talking about. American football and deflategate came to my mind. When did all this new score shit happen?

wizfan
10-01-2016, 06:15 PM
I looked up Pirate Robot Midget, as I've never heard anything other than their MVH remix. Apparently they vanished somewhere around 2012-2013. Also, Does It Offend You, Yeah? is reuniting. I want a NIN Tour Sampler 2017 featuring I Still Play My Colecovision Even Though I Have A Perfectly Functional Xbox 360!!!!

somewhat_
10-01-2016, 06:32 PM
I read "Patriots day" and literally had no idea what you were talking about. American football and deflategate came to my mind. When did all this new score shit happen?

Just got noticed around these parts last night

Ryan
10-01-2016, 11:07 PM
http://i66.tinypic.com/302x3pk.jpg

thevoid99
10-01-2016, 11:30 PM
I like what Trent and Atticus are doing in composing but for someone as mediocre as Peter Berg and for an Oscar-bait film. No thanks. They should just stick with David Fincher instead of some moron who did Battleship.

FernandoDante
10-02-2016, 07:57 AM
I like what Trent and Atticus are doing in composing but for someone as mediocre as Peter Berg and for an Oscar-bait film. No thanks. They should just stick with David Fincher instead of some moron who did Battleship.
The fact that TR+AR not talking about this at all, this close to release... maybe it's just a paycheck? Who knows.

thevoid99
10-02-2016, 03:10 PM
The fact that TR+AR not talking about this at all, this close to release... maybe it's just a paycheck? Who knows.

So does this mean the beginning of score music that won't be as good as earlier stuff and mediocre NIN?

sentient
10-02-2016, 05:25 PM
That moment when I'm softening cold butter in the microwave, watching it melt, and Eraser comes up on my playlist.

Frolick Shiawase
10-04-2016, 02:18 AM
So does this mean the beginning of score music that won't be as good as earlier stuff and mediocre NIN?

Quick, hide your posts, hide your thread...
The air is starting to smell like Bill.

GrayscaleRain
10-04-2016, 06:20 AM

Nothing wrong with 'just a paycheck' for any artist. Equipment and personnel cost big bucks after all and while they probably still have most of their old stuff, things are bound to wear out. Plus, you never know how the whole Apple thing went down...
It's hardly the first time, and it'll hardly be the last. Doesn't mean the result will be bad (Though I'm in the minority when it comes to people who actually liked "Deep",) but if you're not interested in the movie I'd just wait for the score to come out.

Who knows? Might not even get one. Always hard to tell with these things.

sheepdean
10-04-2016, 12:38 PM
Atticus is literally the worst at promotion tbh

bobbie solo
10-04-2016, 02:17 PM
well he's clearly in promo mode now for Before The Flood, so maybe Patriots Day will come later. If he is in DC then I guess he did some of that SxSL stuff yesterday at the White House.

Prettybrokenspiral
10-04-2016, 04:25 PM
Aren't we already getting the BTF soundtrack sometime this month?

Could be he releases a new NIN single in Nov or Dec, fulfilling the "new NIN in 2016" quota, and then a new album/release of some kind to follow in the first half of 2017..

somewhat_
10-04-2016, 05:15 PM
Can we reopen a nin 2016 thread?

TheBang
10-04-2016, 06:53 PM
Just start a new one.

Volband
10-05-2016, 03:48 AM
I like how the expectations are slowly dwindling.

Hehe, new single in September, then album later on, hehe, got to be. Yeah... or maybe an EP, you know, for sure. Hehe... I mean... we might get a single in December... hehe... killmepls.

implanted_microchip
10-05-2016, 05:06 AM
I like how the expectations are slowly dwindling.

Hehe, new single in September, then album later on, hehe, got to be. Yeah... or maybe an EP, you know, for sure. Hehe... I mean... we might get a single in December... hehe... killmepls.

Well, I guess you could say that, when it comes to reasonable expectations --

we'rerunninoutwe'rerunninoutwe'rerunninoutwe'rerun ninoutwe'rerunninoutwe'rerunninoutwe'rerunninoutwe 'rerunninoutwe'rerunninoutwe'rerunninoutwe'rerunni noutwe'rerunninout

hobochic
10-05-2016, 06:20 AM
So I love to shit on Trent, but uh, Everything is one hell of a song.

I wish he realizes it's time to not give a fuck and play the shit out of it next time live.

EndlessLoveless
10-05-2016, 03:18 PM
I think the great collapse has my favorite intro of any nin song. The delicate reversed noises along with the piano melody. The second part of that melody is fucking beautiful. First time i heard EDIETS i thought the intro was very similar, and it is, but its not the same. Something about that intro really hits me. The strong tracks on Things Falling apart are unreal. Meaning the nin remixes and metal, 10 miles high etc....shit TR had a hand in. The rest (starfuckers) suck. But its still prob the remix album i listen to the most.

sick among the pure
10-05-2016, 03:40 PM
I think the great collapse has my favorite intro of any nin song. The delicate reversed noises along with the piano melody. The second part of that melody is fucking beautiful. First time i heard EDIETS i thought the intro was very similar, and it is, but its not the same. Something about that intro really hits me. The strong tracks on Things Falling apart are unreal. Meaning the nin remixes and metal, 10 miles high etc....shit TR had a hand in. The rest (starfuckers) suck. But its still prob the remix album i listen to the most.

Things Falling Apart will always be my favorite remix album, and honestly one of my favorite Halos.

somewhat_
10-06-2016, 06:03 AM
So I love to shit on Trent, but uh, Everything is one hell of a song.

I wish he realizes it's time to not give a fuck and play the shit out of it next time live.

Hopefully they open the live sets with it

nooneimportant
10-06-2016, 07:22 AM
Trent should just do a cover of the Commodores song "Easy" and piss everyone off.

eversonpoe
10-06-2016, 07:53 AM
Trent should just do a cover of the Commodores song "Easy" and piss everyone off.

dude i love that fucking song. it comes on my "funky soul classics" station all the time.

Ryan
10-06-2016, 08:22 AM

Just replace the starfuckers mixes with The fragile (deconstructed), no, you don't (version) and la mer (version)

Ryan
10-06-2016, 08:24 AM
Hopefully they open the live sets with it

Then people can start wearing shirts saying "I survived everything" meaning they lived through it's live perfomance. I'd lol.

Volband
10-06-2016, 02:30 PM
"THIS IS NOT NEW NINE INCH NAILS!"

Trent is a fucking troll, haha :D :D

botley
10-06-2016, 02:47 PM
He's pre-empting potential misunderstandings with a useful disclaimer; I posted the first report about this song here in the soundtracks forum, and tried to be very clear that it was probably not NIN, as NIN was never mentioned anywhere around it, and still people here wondered if it could possibly be a NIN song (even in a forum devoted to TR & AR soundtrack composing). So you can imagine the headlines if there was no such disclaimer and the click bait-y websites tried to start the NIN hype machine...

sweeterthan
10-06-2016, 02:48 PM
It does sound a lot like nin, tho. [emoji12]

botley
10-06-2016, 02:51 PM
It does sound a lot like nin, tho
Well, we haven't heard what NIN sounds like in 2016 (yet); one could reasonably conclude it'll be quite different from this.

sweeterthan
10-06-2016, 02:55 PM
Well, we haven't heard what NIN sounds like in 2016 (yet); one could reasonably conclude it'll be quite different from this.

I'm kidding of course. I can't wait to hear what's next.

botley
10-06-2016, 03:21 PM
So you can imagine the headlines if there was no such disclaimer and the click bait-y websites tried to start the NIN hype machine...
Never mind, they fucking did it anyway (https://twitter.com/ninhotline/status/784112782962782209). TFW Leviathant is the *busiest* man in real life and still does better journalism than most other music coverage sites online.

thefragile_jake
10-06-2016, 10:02 PM
Aren't we already getting the BTF soundtrack sometime this month?

Could be he releases a new NIN single in Nov or Dec, fulfilling the "new NIN in 2016" quota, and then a new album/release of some kind to follow in the first half of 2017..

That's my guess at this point, I can see a February/March 2017 record release with something single related possibly hitting by November at least. He could of course just randomly throw a new album our way...but I think Trent still admires the roll out process, obviously Ghosts and the Slip were different for him in a "I'm free creatively!" sort of way...but even I still admire the record roll out/anticipation process.

neorev
10-06-2016, 10:14 PM
@thefragile_joke

Like Radiohead, I think Trent got sick of doing the unique DIY not your usual album elease and will go the standard rollout route like with Hesitation Marks and Welcome Oblivion. The Slip, Ghosts, Niggy Tardust was his time of experimentation. Like Radiohead with In Rainbows and Thom Yorke's solo Tomorrow Modern Boxes record. Even Thom said recently he was sick of coming up with new ways of releasing music to people and just wants to go back to the usual way of doing things. He said it took up too much time and energy from just working on the album.

implanted_microchip
10-07-2016, 12:11 AM
Honestly bitchy as some people get about Trent being on a label (gasp!!!) again and doing standard rollouts for music anymore, I think it's just people that got too caught up in the "dream" of a labeless industry that don't like the fact of the matter, which is, quite simply, at a certain point of success there's need for management, for some sort of gatekeeper that helps make things happen.

All of Trent's reasoning for being on Colombia made perfect sense from a business end, and whether people like it or not, it's called an "industry" for a reason. Can you be successful surprise-releasing everything? If you're famous enough and promote it right, sure. But the novelty of that method wore of a while ago, and things like Niggy Tardust proved it does require some level of prior fame, and it's ultimately easier to let somebody else handle the mess while you just focus on making things. The exact same thing has been happening with self-publishing vs. publishing houses and the exact same weird fringe attitude of "but it has to always be in our hands forever now!" exists among a lot of fans of e-books and self-published authors, too. These things are going to co-exist for pretty much ever, as long as money is an object. It only makes the most sense.

bobbie solo
10-07-2016, 01:19 AM
Props to Eminem for recognizing NIN again, he's cool.

I feel like Trent is almost universally respected if not outright loved by industry people. Even my friends who don't like NIN know that Trent cannot be fucked with as a multi-threat musician. Other than the occasional lyric that doesn't age well and some bad fashion choices over the years, what can you really criticize with him? Couldn't ask for a more badass favorite artist.

Prettybrokenspiral
10-07-2016, 04:26 AM
@thefragile_joke

lol FAIL neorev :D

That's my guess at this point, I can see a February/March 2017 record release with something single related possibly hitting by November at least. He could of course just randomly throw a new album our way...but I think Trent still admires the roll out process, obviously Ghosts and the Slip were different for him in a "I'm free creatively!" sort of way...but even I still admire the record roll out/anticipation process.

You know...with all this soundtrack/instrumental work he's been doing since HM, it just may be Ghosts V-VIII that awaits us in the months ahead..

Prettybrokenspiral
10-07-2016, 04:53 AM
and some bad fashion choices over the years, what can you really criticize with him?

http://i.imgur.com/1Nhi5Rn.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RdlEAllGEfw/T7VG_fddAzI/AAAAAAAADu4/VZJv6lA24m0/s1600/trent_reznor-1.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/91/31/71/9131719e387282feb2e82cabdbaab334.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfuh0csrQw1qbidbp.jpg

http://u2station.com/news/0_195511_a548404c_orig.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ef/32/98/ef3298c70876b71b1653344014a1dce2.jpg

http://67.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kznbbbpbVB1qb61xho1_500.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/26/d6/d5/26d6d519850ac0c30be6c1f1869d691e.jpg

I mean, really Trent? Fucking Bono...?

Khrz
10-07-2016, 06:04 AM
The curly hair looks 'shopped... I think I see pixels...

nooneimportant
10-07-2016, 08:06 AM
The curly hair looks 'shopped... I think I see pixels...

It's his natural hair from the Bleedthrough era.

fillow
10-07-2016, 08:11 AM
Is the pink hat real tho?

thefragile_jake
10-07-2016, 09:11 AM
lol FAIL @neorev (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=584) :D

You know...with all this soundtrack/instrumental work he's been doing since HM, it just may be Ghosts V-VIII that awaits us in the months ahead..

LOL I was wondering if anyone was going to catch that name slip up. :o

eversonpoe
10-07-2016, 11:42 AM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/91/31/71/9131719e387282feb2e82cabdbaab334.jpg

i have all the pictures from that rolling stone article / photoshoot up on the walls of my old bedroom at my parents' house (which is my recording studio). this one is my fav.

neorev
10-07-2016, 12:10 PM
Whoops
Sorry
:P

Krazy
10-07-2016, 01:11 PM
Trents hand gestures in that Bono picture: they always screamed "What can I do? The fucker just came over here, sat down and started talking to me!!!"

xfocalinx
10-07-2016, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Trent released a single a year to the day after he said "New NIN n 2016"

GibbonBlack
10-07-2016, 04:09 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Trent released a single a year to the day after he said "New NIN n 2016"

I would love that

Louie_Cypher
10-07-2016, 04:09 PM
iteresting article on sperstar rcording http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/marilyn-mansons-antichrist-superstar-10-wild-stories-w443789?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=daily&utm_campaign=100716_16

joplinpicasso
10-07-2016, 05:23 PM
I'm sorry but I'm calling bullshit on that curly hair photo. Any veracity there?

BRoswell
10-07-2016, 05:25 PM
I'm sorry but I'm calling bullshit on that curly hair photo. Any veracity there?

That's clearly a photo of Kenny G that someone has photoshopped Trent's face onto.

Sarah K
10-07-2016, 05:41 PM
I don't know why this is so hilarious right now.

Like it's a real goddamn picture.

Prettybrokenspiral
10-07-2016, 07:47 PM
I don't know why this is so hilarious right now.

Like it's a real goddamn picture.

It's funny because it was meant as a joke

You know, because B-solo mentioned the occasional TR bad fashion statement

So I posted some goofy photos

of Trent in a pink hat, ridiculous green pea coat, obviously photoshopped curly hair, Bono..

not thinking it would need to be spelled out

Ffs, nevermind..

sick among the pure
10-07-2016, 08:09 PM
And yet you didn't use this one?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/11/9a/02/119a02ecf3786dd959a8364dfe16be91.jpg

implanted_microchip
10-07-2016, 10:47 PM
He was listing worst, not greatest

somewhat_
10-09-2016, 01:40 PM
It's becoming obvious that's TR's social media presence is becoming more intense, which is exciting because I think it means new NIN could happen any day now.

Edit: ie. Latest post about ACS

WorzelG
10-09-2016, 02:04 PM
It's becoming obvious that's TR's social media presence is becoming more intense, which is exciting because I think it means new NIN could happen any day now.

Edit: ie. Latest post about ACS

Somebody posted an interview with marilyn manson here recently where he said he had no outstanding feuds and a clean slate or something to that effect, wonder if they have actually buried the hatchet?

fillow
10-09-2016, 03:12 PM
What ACS post?
edit: oh, tr's instagram.

BRoswell
10-09-2016, 03:13 PM
What ACS post?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLWVpN8D7GH/

ziltoid
10-09-2016, 04:05 PM
It's funny because it was meant as a joke

You know, because B-solo mentioned the occasional TR bad fashion statement

So I posted some goofy photos

of Trent in a pink hat, ridiculous green pea coat, obviously photoshopped curly hair, Bono..

not thinking it would need to be spelled out

Ffs, nevermind..

At least it wasn't the Red Robe pic.
I think its still a bannable offense to post that pic here.
I still think that the "New NIN" this year might be the 5.1 The Fragile we have been waiting for. At least I hope it is.

sweeterthan
10-09-2016, 04:09 PM
I still think that the "New NIN" this year might be the 5.1 The Fragile we have been waiting for. At least I hope it is.
Sorry but this would be awful. New nin means new, not a reissue. Trent would be troll of the year if he did that.

ziltoid
10-09-2016, 04:15 PM
Technically it could be new if it was released with unreleased songs from that era but, yeah I get what you mean.
Could the unreleased Live performances count as new?

And for the worst case scenario, it could just be the Greatest Hits album that Trent still owes Interscope with a few new/unreleased songs on the compilation.
Now that would be master class trolling for us fans.

Prettybrokenspiral
10-10-2016, 04:22 AM
Sorry but this would be awful. New nin means new, not a reissue. Trent would be troll of the year if he did that.

Isn't there supposed to be a boatload of unheard stuff on this alleged Fragile reissue though? Technically, that's new NIN..

I could live with another soundtrack album and a long-awaited and loaded to the gills Fragile Deluxe as far as TR 2016 goes

billpulsipher
10-10-2016, 11:33 AM
I would take a Fragile reissue with unheard of Fragile era songs (with vocals) any day of the week over new NIN

slave2thewage
10-10-2016, 01:25 PM
Somebody posted an interview with marilyn manson here recently where he said he had no outstanding feuds and a clean slate or something to that effect, wonder if they have actually buried the hatchet?

I just saw a pic on Facebook showing that Trent has started following Manson on Instagram. Interesting.

WorzelG
10-10-2016, 01:32 PM
I just saw a pic on Facebook showing that Trent has started following Manson on Instagram. Interesting.

The question now is, will Manson follow him back?

Bachy
10-10-2016, 01:44 PM

That can only mean one thing...

http://67.media.tumblr.com/a69533e4d29d8052b4f97dc2fdce1aa2/tumblr_nry7h3k5X81u8dw8go1_r1_400.gif

witte
10-10-2016, 02:04 PM
-----fail-----

fillow
10-10-2016, 02:44 PM
I've spent an hour trying to find an old gif of TR's flying head invading MM live show, but alas...

Ribbitman
10-10-2016, 05:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uMWFIrtleo

the greatest live performance of any song by any band ever... gives me cold chills how epic it is

somewhat_
10-10-2016, 05:51 PM

Man, I hope he's not dropping a hint at a collaboration or joint tour or something of that nature. I mean I guess I wouldn't mind too much if TR helped MM with a few tracks on the new Manson album, but other than that let the past stay in the past.

Kulerage
10-10-2016, 06:17 PM
Man, I hope he's not dropping a hint at a collaboration or joint tour or something of that nature. I mean I guess I wouldn't mind too much if TR helped MM with a few tracks on the new Manson album, but other than that let the past stay in the past.
Hopefully at most Reznor just appears in a music video.