PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

tony.parente
05-05-2014, 01:00 AM
I've seen NIN 73 times and they played The Perfect Drug at 74 of those shows.

Wait a second....

Emil Dorbell
05-05-2014, 04:14 AM
I've seen NIN twice and had to sit through my least favorite song twice (Echoplex) but the second time I saw them I got to see my second favorite track Somewhat Damaged. <3 <3

I'm not really sure what this post is but I'm pretty sure you're making fun of me. People on message boards have feelings too, you know.

r_k_f
05-05-2014, 01:24 PM
My Beats "NINstrumentals" playlist if anybody is interested... https://listen.beatsmusic.com/playlists/pl170192188259565824

Ryan
05-05-2014, 04:55 PM
1:06 mark of "Love Is Not Enough" - can we agree that that "HEY!" is the start of all following "HEY!"s appearing subsequent to With Teeth coming out?

Ryan
05-05-2014, 05:08 PM
Also, today (May 6, 2014) marks 10 years since my grandmother passed away. On this day, back in 2004, nin.com updated for the first time in years. It was a bittersweet day.

In any case, "Beside You In Time" (the song) had never struck a chord with me until about 60 seconds ago when I listened to the "I am all alone this time around..." - probably because of the above. We were incredibly close.

GibbonBlack
05-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Also, today (May 6, 2014) marks 10 years since my grandmother passed away. On this day, back in 2004, nin.com updated for the first time in years. It was a bittersweet day.

In any case, "Beside You In Time" (the song) had never struck a chord with me until about 60 seconds ago when I listened to the "I am all alone this time around..." - probably because of the above. We were incredibly close.

Sorry to hear that, man. Beside You In Time always reminds me of my grandmother too!

Charmingly Miserable
05-05-2014, 10:42 PM
I listen to Gunshots by Computer way more than Hyperpower. So when I listen to Hyperpower, I'm like, where are the lyrics?

Emil Dorbell
05-06-2014, 04:06 AM
Listening to the BYIT dvd while working today. Holy shit that lineup sounded good. Makes me wish they'd add a bass player again.

GlitchyFlame
05-06-2014, 04:11 AM
I just thought of something, the last time that Trent played Closer was at the festivals before Tension. I'm happy that he's taking a break from it, but I hope that it's not completely dead.

implanted_microchip
05-06-2014, 05:39 AM
Makes me wish they'd add a bass player again.

Y'know this would be a really weird sentence in reference to almost any band except for NIN. And even then, it's just weird.

AgentofChaos
05-06-2014, 10:32 AM
ASK TRENT
BRODY DALLE: T-DOG, DO YOU BELIEVE IN GOD?“I do. I take comfort in thinking there’s some purpose and higher power of some sort. I’m not affiliated with any particular religion but that gives me some sense of comfort. I’ve had some dark days through the years and been through some shit that makes me think there is some reason here and it’s beyond just physics and biology.”

Can't decide if I basically already knew this, or if it shouldn't matter to me either way, or if it changes the way I look at any of the songs or not.

WorzelG
05-06-2014, 10:47 AM
ASK TRENT

BRODY DALLE: T-DOG, DO YOU BELIEVE IN GOD?

“I do. I take comfort in thinking there’s some purpose and higher power of some sort. I’m not affiliated with any particular religion but that gives me some sense of comfort. I’ve had some dark days through the years and been through some shit that makes me think there is some reason here and it’s beyond just physics and biology.”

Can't decide if I basically already knew this, or if it shouldn't matter to me either way, or if it changes the way I look at any of the songs or not.
Terrible Lie was the first song I got really into by NIN and it always really moved me somehow even though I'm a total atheist (not Dawkins style or trying to get anyone else not to believe) just in the fact that I was never christened, my parents didn't believe although they were brought up religiously so they didn't really bring us up with religion at all - I've never spent a second of my life believing in God at all and had to sing all these crappy song in school that meant nothing to me. But anyway, i always wondered why the song moved me given that it was the point of view of someone 'wanting' to believe, so I always thought having the desire to believe but knowing things were so shit that you can't fathom how God can exist was quite moving to me. I always found the lyrics to Heresy a bit crass to be honest. Anyway I never really thought he was atheist just that he thought a lot of aspects of organised religion are shit which I think anyone could think and identify with to be honest. sorry, /ramble

implanted_microchip
05-06-2014, 03:27 PM
From that same interview:

BEN SHEPHERD (SOUNDGARDEN): IS THERE A SOUNDGARDEN SONG YOU’D WANT TO SING WITH US WHEN WE GO ON TOUR TOGETHER? NONE OF US CAN SING HALF FROM SUPERUNKNOWN, WOULD YOU GIVE IT A TRY?[Chuckles] “I’ll tell you, I’m a fan of Soundgarden. I’ve always been in awe of what Cornell’s capable of doing with his voice. I say this with flattery – when I was coming up in the 70s, listening to rock music, every singer could somehow sing high as shit, and I thought ‘Well, I can’t be a singer because my range isn’t that high.’ When Soundgarden appeared it felt reminiscent of that same kind of great rock singer, like ‘Goddammit!’ I was pissed off that he could sing that well. I don’t have the skill to sing like that! But I’d be happy to try anything in a scenario where I don’t look like an idiot, sure – if I can contribute.”

I really hope they don't do anything together on stage; it's not just that I don't like SG, but also considering he did nothing with QOTSA on their tour earlier this year (despite Kalopsia, Era Vulgaris, etc. all including Trent), it would be almost insulting/confusing if he were to do something with SG instead.

Ryan
05-06-2014, 06:44 PM
but also considering he did nothing with QOTSA on their tour earlier this year (despite Kalopsia, Era Vulgaris, etc. all including Trent), it would be almost insulting/confusing if he were to do something with SG instead.

I don't get why he didn't do a single thing with QOTSA. That was odd.

jessamineny
05-06-2014, 06:48 PM
Maybe they just didn't have time to rehearse together. TR might have been working on Gone Girl in all his down time. And they both had their families with them, which I'm sure was a priority.

implanted_microchip
05-06-2014, 06:57 PM
I understand not doing it, I guess, but when it comes to time to rehearse: I mean, they clearly had the Grammy performance down, and could've done something like that; had it been a simple guest spot of vocals for Kalopsia that would've literally required nothing more than TR suddenly walking out and singing, "OOOOOOOH, Why you so sad . . ." and done a chorus and maybe a verse, maybe played brief piano bits.

I don't know, a simple guest vocal live would've been perfect and totally fine, everyone would've loved it, and it wouldn't have required any big setup whatsoever, really. I would love to have heard why they didn't do it, it really confuses me and makes little sense, when it was such a perfect moment for that kinda thing.

howdidislipinto
05-06-2014, 07:06 PM
I know some people are concerned that Trent's belief in a deity goes against past lyrical themes, but fuck that, I'm way more offended by these Soundgarden compliments after his history of Soundgarden bashing. I feel betrayed.

/jk

jessamineny
05-06-2014, 07:08 PM
I understand not doing it, I guess, but when it comes to time to rehearse: I mean, they clearly had the Grammy performance down, and could've done something like that; had it been a simple guest spot of vocals for Kalopsia that would've literally required nothing more than TR suddenly walking out and singing, "OOOOOOOH, Why you so sad . . ." and done a chorus and maybe a verse, maybe played brief piano bits.

I don't know, a simple guest vocal live would've been perfect and totally fine, everyone would've loved it, and it wouldn't have required any big setup whatsoever, really. I would love to have heard why they didn't do it, it really confuses me and makes little sense, when it was such a perfect moment for that kinda thing.

Yeah, well, it would at least require attending the band's soundcheck. There would have to be an extra mic for TR. Levels would have to be checked. And he's not exactly known for just walking out on stage and "seeing how it goes."

howdidislipinto
05-06-2014, 07:17 PM
What's stranger re: NIN/QOTSA is why were they so vague and teasing when people asked about possible tour collaborations? Why wouldn't they just say, "Yeah, we thought about it but decided to let the bands stand alone," or something? Instead of saying they want to keep the element of surprise? That was weird.

sheepdean
05-06-2014, 07:19 PM
What's stranger re: NIN/QOTSA is why were they so vague and teasing when people asked about possible tour collaborations? Why wouldn't they just say, "Yeah, we thought about it but decided to let the bands stand alone," or something? Instead of saying they want to keep the element of surprise? That was weird.
Because it makes fans stay for both sets. If you love NIN but don't care about QOTSA, you'll stay for QOTSA is there's a chance Trent'll turn up, and vice versa.

Joy Prevention Hotline
05-06-2014, 07:21 PM
Yeah, well, it would at least require attending the band's soundcheck. There would have to be an extra mic for TR. Levels would have to be checked. And he's not exactly known for just walking out on stage and "seeing how it goes."
I remember people hoping he'd do something with Jane's Addiction in 09, and that didn't happen either. Gotta think it also depends on what kind of mood everybody is in, whether they're pissing each other off or just kind of "meh, whatever." And they have to make a decision hours in advance.

He did do Kick Out the Jams with Street Sweeper that one time. But inevitably, someone's looking down at a copy of the lyrics taped to the stage.

howdidislipinto
05-06-2014, 07:23 PM
Because it makes fans stay for both sets. If you love NIN but don't care about QOTSA, you'll stay for QOTSA is there's a chance Trent'll turn up, and vice versa.

Didn't even think of that. I love both bands so much I forgot that was a possibility. Whoops. Still, dumb. Like the NIN/QotSA twitter accounts pretending they were still flipping a coin every day.

FULLMETAL
05-06-2014, 07:53 PM
WHERE IS EVERYBODY? Actually where are the NIN fans online? I was thinking about this new leg of the tour and how many fans attending the shows are active online w/r/t NIN. From a cursory look online, here is a tally of the online NIN fan base:

Facebook = 3,528,511 likes
NIN.com = 456,348 members
Twitter = 280,000 followers
YouTube = 90,700 subscribers
Instagram = 65,686 followers
ETS = 4,000 members (721 active)

Not accounting for lurkers, but does this breakdown seem odd to anyone else?

Charmingly Miserable
05-06-2014, 08:34 PM
WHERE IS EVERYBODY?

That makes us an elite posse.

Ryan
05-06-2014, 08:54 PM
That are unusually horny.

Charmingly Miserable
05-06-2014, 09:03 PM
That are unusually horny.
Not right now! I'm in class!!!!!

Sarah K
05-06-2014, 09:11 PM
721 active? What the fuck is considered "active"? 'Cause that is bullshit.

sheepdean
05-06-2014, 09:15 PM
721 active? What the fuck is considered "active"? 'Cause that is bullshit.
it means we're banging.

Sarah K
05-06-2014, 09:17 PM
I HAVEN'T BANGED IN SO LONG

Don't censor mah caps lock, bro.

Ryan
05-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Every thread lately turns into The Fucking Thread.

Kyle
05-06-2014, 10:00 PM
So we're having orgies at the SG/NIN shows this summer, correct?

Kyle
05-06-2014, 10:01 PM
Not right now! I'm in class!!!!!
Don't lie. Nobody here has class.

Sarah K
05-06-2014, 10:13 PM
Lots of tension around here.

HAHAHALOLHAHA

I volunteer to record and art direct the NY and NJ bangs, btw.

gorast
05-06-2014, 10:14 PM
Those numbers seem pretty accurate considering the size of the respective social networks and the general purpose of each one.

Sarah K
05-06-2014, 10:27 PM
But there is nowhere near 700 active members here.

I mean, my work daya would go by MUCH faster if that was the case.

Kyle
05-06-2014, 10:31 PM
But there is nowhere near 700 active members here.

I mean, my work daya would go by MUCH faster if that was the case.

bill is is actually a consortium of 352 welsh midgets.

BrownEyedStatistic
05-07-2014, 02:51 PM
"echoing the sound"

Heh heh heh

"echo"

Yeah, the echo I hear each time I yell in this empty forum!

Halo Infinity
05-07-2014, 03:11 PM
"echoing the sound"

Heh heh heh

"echo"

Yeah, the echo I hear each time I yell in this empty forum!
Oh, please. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w5eh7obre4

And in all seriousness, the Speak your mind (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/forums/2-Speak-your-mind), The Musical Revolution (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/forums/5-The-Musical-Revolution), and In the Headlines (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/forums/7-In-the-Headlines) are by far the liveliest sections on ETS. Even if you're just lurking, there's a lot of stuff to see in all of those sections. (And not that I intend to undermine the other sections, but that's where most of the non-Nine Inch Nails related action seems to be.)

BrownEyedStatistic
05-07-2014, 08:47 PM
http://troll.me/images/fat-ninja/wobbldy-wobbldy-wop-wobble-wobble.jpg

Ryan
05-07-2014, 09:38 PM
^ Is this person trollin'?

BrownEyedStatistic
05-07-2014, 09:49 PM
I'm not trolling. I was curious to see if the picture would appear rather than the url itself.

Kyle
05-07-2014, 09:51 PM
I'm not trolling. I was curious to see if the picture would appear rather than the url itself.

Then use a NIN related picture and nobody will know that's what you were doing.

BrownEyedStatistic
05-07-2014, 10:03 PM
Then use a NIN related picture and nobody will know that's what you were doing.

Sounds like like the solution to everything on this forum.

Ryan
05-07-2014, 10:04 PM
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7797637120/h33F898F0/

Halo Infinity
05-07-2014, 11:15 PM
It seems like The Fragile really is the album that cheers me up the most. :)

Prettybrokenspiral
05-08-2014, 12:03 AM
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7797637120/h33F898F0/

**giggles**

pinata89
05-08-2014, 12:04 AM
It seems like The Fragile really is the album that cheers me up the most. :)

Me too bro. This album makes me feel okay with my life, for some reason. And my life is far from great, but this album somehow provides solace for me. It's a very comforting album, for that reason.

Mutilated
05-08-2014, 07:49 AM
Well I'm just home from Riga and although my expectations were high, I was completely blown away. Fantastic show, infinitely better than the Wave Goodbye tour and the last gig NIN played in Belfast. Cold Cave were perfect. Probably the best support band NIN has ever had, apart from Manson. I would hate to have to put up with Death Grips and Soundgarden lol. Finally, Europe gets a better tour than America!

Marty Kirra
05-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Just wondering.... have you seen Closure? Or much else from that era?
I actually haven't, but I've seen "Classic Trent" doing his thing. I've gotta watch Closure some time.

I don't know about Marty, but my reaction was more along the lines of "holy shit was the band active in 2006."
Yeah, it was more of a this thing. Not really so much Trent, as he's pretty much been kind of the same person on stage after With Teeth, but Alessandro is bouncing around and that scares me. Most footage I've seen, he just stands there and occasionally sings/plays guitar. So him hopping up on the keys and shit was just...different. Not to mention Aaron North, but that guy's awesome anyway.

My only dislike from Beside You In Time is learning that "Right Where It Belongs" isn't about opening your eyes and realizing that you're living a lie and that you need to get out of your comfort zone (or something like that), but it's about George W. Bush or some shit. I don't know. I had only heard the audio version of the concert prior to watching, so I thought the crowd making noise because it happens in the album version of the song, but seeing a giant George Bush video up on the screen kind of made me frown.

sick among the pure
05-08-2014, 12:39 PM
"Right Where It Belongs" isn't about opening your eyes and realizing that you're living a lie and that you need to get out of your comfort zone (or something like that), but it's about George W. Bush

It's about both, kinda. The footage of Bush dancing at a fancy party with all his friends while he sent his own countrymen off to die under false presences, having that scene in the middle of all the death and destruction, how are you reading that as the song being just about Bush?

thevoid99
05-08-2014, 04:24 PM
So Scarlett Johansson is a NIN fan... shit! We'd be buddies for life. I'm trying to create some scripts with her in mind. That is awesome!

Joy Prevention Hotline
05-08-2014, 06:23 PM
bill is is actually a consortium of 352 welsh midgets.
Jesus fucking LOL. If I wasn't the only one here, they'd be calling for an exorcist.

SarahConnor
05-08-2014, 06:52 PM
http://qz.com/207810/apple-might-be-about-to-strike-its-biggest-deal-ever-with-dr-dre/ Apple may buy Beats by Dre for 3.2$ billion.

pcpunk
05-08-2014, 07:06 PM
wonder if Trent will get a piece of that.

MrSlfDstruct
05-08-2014, 07:58 PM
http://qz.com/207810/apple-might-be-about-to-strike-its-biggest-deal-ever-with-dr-dre/ Apple may buy Beats by Dre for 3.2$ billion.

Funny, considering Jimmy Iovine approached Apple about a streaming music service and they turned him down. Then Beats totally beat the shit out of iTunes Radio (in terms of quality of the service).

I like Apple . . . Beats headphones I'd buy if they weren't so absurdly overpriced . . . I really like the Beats service and I'm nervous as to what this would mean for that.

eversonpoe
05-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Funny, considering Jimmy Iovine approached Apple about a streaming music service and they turned him down. Then Beats totally beat the shit out of iTunes Radio (in terms of quality of the service).

I like Apple . . . Beats headphones I'd buy if they weren't so absurdly overpriced . . . I really like the Beats service and I'm nervous as to what this would mean for that.

meh, beats headphones over-boost the bass so you're not really listening to the music the way it's mixed, and i don't like it when my headphones alter the sound of what i'm trying to hear.

MrSlfDstruct
05-08-2014, 08:18 PM
meh, beats headphones over-boost the bass so you're not really listening to the music the way it's mixed, and i don't like it when my headphones alter the sound of what i'm trying to hear.

Agreed, although I listened to one of them, I forget which model, that actually sounded pretty good and more balanced than the lower end ones, but they were like $400+. For ~70 bucks, my Sony MDR-7506's do their job admirably. And I'm not gonna lie, I was really nerdy to see that TR used them when I rewatched the Still videos. Being the stickler for quality that he is I felt even more justified in the purchase.

Halo Infinity
05-08-2014, 09:27 PM
WHERE IS EVERYBODY? Actually where are the NIN fans online? I was thinking about this new leg of the tour and how many fans attending the shows are active online w/r/t NIN. From a cursory look online, here is a tally of the online NIN fan base:

I still thought that there would've been a higher number for ETS. Aside from that, I'd still say yes, since I also thought that Twitter and YouTube would've also been in the millions as well.

seasonsinthesky
05-08-2014, 11:32 PM
doesn't that just reflect the ubiquity of Facebook as a social platform? i know handfuls of people who casually browse Twitter but everyone, their grandparents, and their pets have FB and use it actively compared to the other platforms. obviously YouTube is up there as well but not in user activity by comparison — it's a media reference catalog and the social (subscription/likes/comments) is a very far secondary function.

i'm just glad NIN doesn't pay for Korean "like farms" to boost their numbers (or so it would appear).

sheepdean
05-08-2014, 11:43 PM
See, 3.5 million people like the fuck you like an animal song, whereas 4000 people noticed Trent hitting the wrong key in Gone Still, it's all about audience

WorzelG
05-09-2014, 12:15 AM

Hopefully a cash injection like this would allow them to sort out the technical problems that have been reported and take the streaming service worldwide as I'd like to have a try of it

littlemonkey613
05-09-2014, 03:42 AM
I essentially can't believe Welcome Oblivion and HM were released in the same year... like its so fucking ridiculous. Listened to the 2 albums tonight for the first time in a few months...like HOLY SHIT. They both have such a unique sound (even for Trent) and are basically their own little planets of amazing sound and landscape. I truly don't GET how he is so good at music. (dont mean to discredit everyone else involved in HTDA obviously they are all amazingly talented)

icecream
05-09-2014, 07:20 AM
I don't sing and have no clue about anything vocal related. But, is it possible to unstrain yiour voice? Trent can't do some songs or parts live anymore because his voice has gotten worn over the years. Is there training he can do?

jessamineny
05-09-2014, 07:40 AM

I still thought that there would've been a higher number for ETS. Aside from that, I'd still say yes, since I also thought that Twitter and YouTube would've also been in the millions as well.

Well, oddly, TR's personal Twitter account has 1.72 million followers.

Leviathant
05-09-2014, 08:37 AM

Facebook expands outside the 'fanbase' and easily transcends borders - and has paid promotion.

Spam accounts. The old ETS had nearly this many members, it meant nothing.

I'd wager this is probably the best balance of casual and less-casual NIN fans.

Getting less casual as we go.

Instagram is an internet blindspot for me, I have nothing to say here.

I don't advertise, at all, so ETS only grows by word of mouth, and occasionally the release of lost Coil remixes of NIN songs. While this makes for slow growth (If we're in fact even growing), it does make for a more tightly knit community. Sometimes a little too tight, which is why I enjoy a @billpulsipher (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2774) fucking things up now and then.

SarahConnor
05-09-2014, 09:24 AM
What about Tumblr?

GibbonBlack
05-09-2014, 09:31 AM
which is why I enjoy a @billpulsipher (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2774) fucking things up now and then.

...I've never seen you two in the same room :eek:

MrSlfDstruct
05-09-2014, 10:39 AM
I don't sing and have no clue about anything vocal related. But, is it possible to unstrain yiour voice? Trent can't do some songs or parts live anymore because his voice has gotten worn over the years. Is there training he can do?

It's possible to permanently strain your voice, however that doesn't appear to be the case with Trent. His voice is just progressively changing with age, which usually results in a deeper voice. You can really tell in comparing his speaking voice now compared to older interviews and what not. But this means that higher notes and the piercing screams he used to do aren't quite where they used to be in relation to his current vocal range.

I don't think I've ever heard Trent sound like he really strained his voice to the point it affected his singing, which is surprising, since he's always gone pretty much balls out in any of the shows I've seen or listened to, especially the older ones where he did a lot more screaming. Case in point, I was just listening to that Stanhope Lolla show that @RITCNIN (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1141) posted and that's a VERY aggressive show, but his vocals hold up the whole time.

sheepdean
05-09-2014, 10:42 AM
What about Tumblr?
With tumblr's current security settings, you can't see someone else's follower count (thanks Yahoo), and judging by note count doesn't mean much because I have a post with 250,000 interactions but I don't even have 1000 followers.

sweeterthan
05-09-2014, 01:11 PM
ETS also had a reset a few years ago because of a server problem. I don't know how many members there were then but I think it was over 4000.

In other news, I hope trent & rob made a ton off the beats sale to apple.

BenAkenobi
05-09-2014, 01:15 PM
In other news, I hope trent & rob made a ton off the beats sale to apple.

I think this comment would fit nicely in this topic (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/3155-Sheepdean-calls-someone-a-dick-You-ll-never-guess-what-happens-next!?goto=newpost) ☻

icecream
05-09-2014, 02:06 PM
It's possible to permanently strain your voice, however that doesn't appear to be the case with Trent. His voice is just progressively changing with age, which usually results in a deeper voice. You can really tell in comparing his speaking voice now compared to older interviews and what not. But this means that higher notes and the piercing screams he used to do aren't quite where they used to be in relation to his current vocal range.

I don't think I've ever heard Trent sound like he really strained his voice to the point it affected his singing, which is surprising, since he's always gone pretty much balls out in any of the shows I've seen or listened to, especially the older ones where he did a lot more screaming. Case in point, I was just listening to that Stanhope Lolla show that @RITCNIN (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1141) posted and that's a VERY aggressive show, but his vocals hold up the whole time.
So that's why he can do Dissapointed but had cracks during All
the Love in the World, because of the pitch?

MrSlfDstruct
05-09-2014, 02:55 PM
So that's why he can do Dissapointed but had cracks during All
the Love in the World, because of the pitch?

I just listened to/watched ATLITE and I didn't notice his voice cracking. He's really having to reach for the higher notes at the end though. And I doubt he's able to pull off the last "all the love in the world" as it is on the album.

But Disappointed definitely doesn't have quite the vocal demands of ATLITW.

jessamineny
05-09-2014, 03:29 PM
I just listened to/watched ATLITE and I didn't notice his voice cracking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h54jGksY8Bg

Sarah K
05-09-2014, 03:42 PM
HOLY SHIT at that tape... The beginning is shaky as fuck. But the ending is pretty badass, considering it is just a rehearsal.

implanted_microchip
05-09-2014, 04:01 PM
The Schessel Hurricane Festival show from 2009 had his voice sounding pretty raw/sore, but it may have simply been him being under the weather. Nevertheless it sounded actually pretty great since it was a more aggressive set and it really suited it well.

jessamineny
05-09-2014, 04:38 PM
HOLY SHIT at that tape... The beginning is shaky as fuck. But the ending is pretty badass, considering it is just a rehearsal.

If you haven't heard all the rehearsal songs from then, you should download them (http://reflectinginthechrome.com/shows/2005/2005rehearsals.html). They're awesome.

Sarah K
05-09-2014, 04:44 PM
I don't know how to computer very well. I'm like an old person.

I've tried it with a few different things, and it always just ends up pissing me off. Plus, my computer is like 8 years old. So that might have add to the complications that I face.

Although I did successfully download/listen to the rehearsal tapes from last year. But everything else that I've tried has just led to me wanting to throw things.

Joy Prevention Hotline
05-09-2014, 05:25 PM
If you haven't heard all the rehearsal songs from then, you should download them (http://reflectinginthechrome.com/shows/2005/2005rehearsals.html). They're awesome.
Ah, so this is the rehearsal tape I've heard about but keep forgetting to investigate. :)

jessamineny
05-09-2014, 05:50 PM
Ah, so this is the rehearsal tape I've heard about but keep forgetting to investigate. :)

There were rehearsals for the Tension tour (http://reflectinginthechrome.com/shows/2013/201306xxrehearsals.html), too, that were leaked.

icecream
05-09-2014, 06:30 PM
I just listened to/watched ATLITE and I didn't notice his voice cracking. He's really having to reach for the higher notes at the end though. And I doubt he's able to pull off the last "all the love in the world" as it is on the album.

But Disappointed definitely doesn't have quite the vocal demands of ATLITW.
I saw them do it at one of the last shows on Tension and he had trouble holding the higher notes a bit.

reseen_lamenti
05-09-2014, 08:00 PM
The Schessel Hurricane Festival show from 2009 had his voice sounding pretty raw/sore, but it may have simply been him being under the weather. Nevertheless it sounded actually pretty great since it was a more aggressive set and it really suited it well.
Yeah, considered how hard and amazing that Somewhat Damaged went vocally that show I'd say he outright blew it out.

Halo Infinity
05-09-2014, 09:08 PM
While I was always an album person a few years before I became a Nine Inch Nails fan, I've been convinced that me being an album person was completely sealed by the time I finished listening to The Downward Spiral and The Fragile back to back for the very first time in 2002. It's what really increased my interest in collecting albums.

(I got into music very late around the middle of 1999, so that was my third year as a fan of any type of music. I was never even that big of a music guy to start with, but a few things here and there clicked with me, and one thing lead to another, so here I am. :p)

ophelia_
05-09-2014, 09:41 PM
The downsides to having parents that like NIN #37: hearing your mum say "fistfuck".

sheepdean
05-09-2014, 09:47 PM
The downsides to having parents that like NIN #37: hearing your mum say "fistfuck".
I would argue it's better than hearing your mother say that and she ISN'T a NIN fan

Joy Prevention Hotline
05-09-2014, 10:10 PM
I can't imagine — I don't even know anyone my own age who likes NIN.

But the people next to me at Tension were in their 50s or even 60s, and they didn't hold back either.

ophelia_
05-09-2014, 10:20 PM
I would argue it's better than hearing your mother say that and she ISN'T a NIN fan

Thats a good point.

Gotta look at the positives of your mother saying "fistfuck", I guess.

Charmingly Miserable
05-09-2014, 10:45 PM
I'm wishing that Zach de la Rocha's solo album surfaces one day. I'm so curious how Trent put his stamp on it.

Halo Infinity
05-10-2014, 12:11 AM
Whenever I'm lurking ETS and listening to NIN at the same time, Echoplex has really become one of the best songs for me to lurk to. And All That Could Have Been (Still) and Ghosts I-IV have also been excellent lurking music for me. And while I listen to other musicians while I'm at ETS, I suppose I've just had that habit since 2004. It's like how I'd listen to Marilyn Manson while I'm on Provider Module. This isn't to say that I do that each and every single time though, but it's become a bit of a regular thing for me.

And yes, talk about random, but it really has been a habit of mine for quite a while. :p

BenAkenobi
05-10-2014, 01:02 AM
http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii574/benakenobi/fef17cf3-10a6-4bca-a474-a73b017fead4_zpse13b0869.jpg

2 cyrillic letters and their latin equivalents: Г – G, и — i. when combined Ги reads Gi in english.
since i saw that cover i'm dreaming of slapping those "designers" right in their fat faces

m15a
05-10-2014, 01:10 AM
does that have some particular (offensive?) meaning that i'm not catching? and isn't that upside down?

BenAkenobi
05-10-2014, 01:21 AM
Yes, rotated 180°. It just has no meaning whatsoever, that is what's offensive to the picture behind: the symbol which doesn't symbolize anything. grrrrr

gorast
05-10-2014, 01:29 AM
I'm wishing that Zach de la Rocha's solo album surfaces one day. I'm so curious how Trent put his stamp on it.

This is veering off topic, but I really just wish he would do something. That One Day as a Lion EP was great and then the band just ceased to exist.

GlitchyFlame
05-10-2014, 01:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIWD8K944SM
Watching this just pisses me off. "Oh look, it's Trent and Mariqueen walking into a limo!" Can't people have some fucking privacy???

BenAkenobi
05-10-2014, 01:40 AM
and you, yes you, just stole their privacy by showing the video here. edit it away quickly so less people get to watch it!

jessamineny
05-10-2014, 07:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIWD8K944SM
Watching this just pisses me off. "Oh look, it's Trent and Mariqueen walking into a limo!" Can't people have some fucking privacy???

You're doing it wrong.

BrownEyedStatistic
05-10-2014, 10:05 AM
Comcast is so fucking annoying! NIN

**NIN KAMPF**

screwdriver
05-10-2014, 11:28 AM

I think I might be the only one, but I really liked that "We Want It All" song -- play it loud, it sounds really rad.

BRoswell
05-10-2014, 12:03 PM
http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii574/benakenobi/fef17cf3-10a6-4bca-a474-a73b017fead4_zpse13b0869.jpg

2 cyrillic letters and their latin equivalents: Г – G, и — i. when combined Ги reads Gi in english.
since i saw that cover i'm dreaming of slapping those "designers" right in their fat faces

First off, the "letter" representing G isn't supposed to be a letter.

Second, I'm pretty sure they didn't design the logo with Latin enthusiasts in mind. :p

Charmingly Miserable
05-10-2014, 01:33 PM
I think I might be the only one, but I really liked that "We Want It All" song -- play it loud, it sounds really rad.
Am I missing something here?

Tony Gordon
05-10-2014, 01:56 PM
Random NIN thought for you -

The stomping beat sound in the intro to Mr. Self Destruct still sounds so awesome all these years later to the point it's my ringtone. BOOM....BOOM...BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

Now that should be on endless looping for a pointless Youtube video that stretches over an hour.

sheepdean
05-10-2014, 02:35 PM

The stomping beat sound in the intro to Mr. Self Destruct still sounds so awesome all these years later to the point it's my ringtone. BOOM....BOOM...BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

Now that should be on endless looping for a pointless Youtube video that stretches over an hour.
I agree, THX 1130 IS a good film :P

Halo Infinity
05-10-2014, 03:42 PM
And that actually triggered yet another random thought of me thinking about how Wish is the same song with the lyrics: "This is the first day of my last days."

(Considering how Mother's Day is tomorrow, with a mother saying that, and it got me to think about about birth and death, which is exactly like a countdown anyway.)

Halo Infinity
05-10-2014, 03:46 PM

I've always imagined some type of crazy percussion with that sound during some parts of Mr Self Destruct's chorus. That's also one of my favorite sounds from The Downward Spiral.

Halo Infinity
05-10-2014, 09:58 PM
With the phrases "Nine Inch Nails mastermind", "Nine Inch Nails slams", and "Trent Reznor slams", I was still a little bit surprised to see that there weren't any Mastermind and slammers jokes, pictures, and videos with Nine Inch Nails on them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastermind_%28board_game%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogs

And speaking of pogs, I've always loved the idea of seeing Nine Inch Nails on pogs and slammers. That really would've been something, since Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, and The Downward Spiral all came out right on time during the fad's heyday. If they actually existed, I'd try to get some from eBay if I could. :p

m15a
05-10-2014, 11:47 PM
March of the Pogs?

henryeatscereal
05-11-2014, 12:41 AM
Wondering Trent Reznor's favorite Bowie albums...

I remember an interview where he mentions that "Scary Monsters" was his first Bowie album but he loves "Low", but i was wondering if they are their favorite releases or just two highly influential albums, i was also looking for that 90's interview, i think it was done around the "Self Destruction" tour...

Ryan
05-11-2014, 04:00 AM
March of the Pogs?

I'll raise you a Poggy.

nooneimportant
05-11-2014, 04:19 AM
I'm going to my first NIN show in August.

My body is ready.

Ryan
05-11-2014, 04:22 AM
I'm going to my first NIN show in August.

My body is ready.

Prepare your diddly hole.

nooneimportant
05-11-2014, 04:26 AM
Prepare your diddly hole.

All in.

http://i.imgur.com/tHKdH4q.jpg

Ryan
05-11-2014, 04:49 AM
hahahahahahaha

BrownEyedStatistic
05-11-2014, 08:51 AM
"You've got me all wrong, sir. I'm only 70% minority....whatever the fuck that means..."

"Mmmmmm fluoride..."

"Dammit, isn't fluoride damaging my body?"

"I don't want cancer!"

"I don't know what to believe anymore."

"My stomach feels weird...I think I've been drinking too fast."

"Is the discomfort in my intestines or my stomach?"

(unorganized thoughts of trent reznor)

"Why am I here?"

"YOU DON'T KNOW ME!"

"FRAAAAAGIIIIILE SHE DOESN'T KNOW HER BEAUTY...I.CANT.WATCH.HER.SLIP.AWAY...."

"Hahah! I just watched you slip away..."

NIN

Kyle
05-11-2014, 09:04 AM
What did I just read?

Ryan
05-11-2014, 09:08 AM
Beats me..

Halo Infinity
05-11-2014, 12:35 PM
It seems like a scattered reference to The Fragile, With Teeth, Year Zero, and The Slip. :p

Fangster_
05-11-2014, 01:56 PM

Well, this gives me a nice segue to what I came to post here in the first place.

I was watching through videos from Helsinki and somehow I hadn't been aware of Alessandro doing the high pitched vocals at the end of The Becoming. As if I didn't even at all hear it at the actual show. Caught it now and was just WHOA THAT'S AWESOME. Really dug him in All Time Low post-Tension, now if we could get that for In Two as well!

From 3:51. He also does his thing in Gave Up, which is conveniently included. Not embedding the time since you're gonna want to watch the whole thing anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Wq4kZ3H5k

Broadbent
05-11-2014, 02:50 PM
Good for that crowd being able to clap to the song in 6/8 without fucking it up.

fillow
05-11-2014, 04:41 PM
The Becoming is 13/8 (except Annie part).

Halo Infinity
05-12-2014, 02:22 AM
I don't advertise, at all, so ETS only grows by word of mouth, and occasionally the release of lost Coil remixes of NIN songs. While this makes for slow growth (If we're in fact even growing), it does make for a more tightly knit community. Sometimes a little too tight, which is why I enjoy a @billpulsipher (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2774) fucking things up now and then.
I've actually thought of making simple flyers with the URLs to ETS and The NIN Hotline on them, with brief descriptions as to what they're about. I also thought of trying to put the NIN logo on it, and also make sure it says Nine Inch Nails on it, as I'd be tempted to post them in random places where flyers are allowed to be posted, or where flyers would be most likely to last for a while. (And for that very reason, I'd most likely throw in NIN Wiki in there as well.)

I've so far at least let anybody else I've known that liked NIN in real life about ETS and The NIN Hotline though, but I've still yet to see them here, or they just weren't interested in message boards altogether, but heck, it's still quite fun to promote ETS and The NIN Hotline to other NIN fans I've met in real life whenever I can. :)

GlitchyFlame
05-12-2014, 03:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izLWRCiwg8E
Is it just me, or does Trent seem somewhat different than usual in the performance? He seems a lot more energetic and also seems to be signing in a higher pitch than he usually does now. It may just be me, but maybe not.

niggo
05-12-2014, 05:01 AM
Is it just me, or does Trent seem somewhat different than usual in the performance? He seems a lot more energetic and also seems to be signing in a higher pitch than he usually does now. It may just be me, but maybe not.

I agree. His voice really does sound a bit higher than usual, especially compared to BYIT which was recorded a year prior.

This sounds much more like AATCHB Trent if you ask me.

cahernandez
05-12-2014, 11:16 AM
I'm listening to The Line Begins to Blur from BYIT at work right now. Goddamn. I don't think there's a single NIN fan that could say anything negative about Line Begins to Blur, I'd say it's NIN's "phattest" jam. I've said this before and I'll say it again: I believe Line Begins to Blur into Beside You In Time into Right Where It Belongs is NIN's pinnacle.

theimage13
05-12-2014, 01:44 PM
I'm listening to The Line Begins to Blur from BYIT at work right now. Goddamn. I don't think there's a single NIN fan that could say anything negative about Line Begins to Blur, I'd say it's NIN's "phattest" jam. I've said this before and I'll say it again: I believe Line Begins to Blur into Beside You In Time into Right Where It Belongs is NIN's pinnacle.

Ooooooh, that could easily go into the controversial opinions thread. There's a surprising amount of hate for that song. Personally? Love it. It's great on the album, but the live version definitely stomps on it.

Halo Infinity
05-12-2014, 02:23 PM
It sort of made me wish that a little bit more of With Teeth sounded that way. It's also one of my favorite songs from With Teeth.

implanted_microchip
05-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Ooooooh, that could easily go into the controversial opinions thread. There's a surprising amount of hate for that song. Personally? Love it. It's great on the album, but the live version definitely stomps on it.

What don't people like about it? I've never seen people say anything bad; I'd love to know what people could criticize.

Joy Prevention Hotline
05-12-2014, 04:54 PM
For months now I've been hearing Closer in my head with rather … odd vocals.

Today they snapped into focus: it's Fozzie Bear (wocka wocka wocka) doing the verses and Gonzo the Great on the chorus.

Kyle
05-12-2014, 05:13 PM
For months now I've been hearing Closer in my head with rather … odd vocals.

Today they snapped into focus: it's Fozzie Bear (wocka wocka wocka) doing the verses and Gonzo the Great on the chorus.
Well that certainly lived up to the thread subject.

implanted_microchip
05-12-2014, 06:48 PM
The Quiet version of TDTWWA from the single of it is so incredible and beats so much shit out of the original.

Joy Prevention Hotline
05-12-2014, 08:49 PM
Well that certainly lived up to the thread subject.
Glad to be of service. :)

While dozing tonight it went floating through my head again, and I think I was a bit off. It's more like Gonzo on vocals all the way through, but with Fozzie (and probably 50 other Muppets) yukking it up behind him.

I'd love to see a balls-to-the-wall Muppet remake of the Closer video. But this is just as brilliant in its own way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7c28KhPEpo

K-Rice
05-12-2014, 08:59 PM
I was just watching some videos from my first NIN show in 2008 during the Lights in the Sky tour. I would love to see them bring back the Ghosts version of Piggy. That was awesome to see live, especially for my first NIN show.

GlitchyFlame
05-12-2014, 09:56 PM
The Quiet version of TDTWWA from the single of it is so incredible and beats so much shit out of the original.
http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2130-Controversial-Nine-Inch-Nails-opinions

Ryan
05-12-2014, 10:33 PM

TRENT. PLAY THIS LIVE MORE FOR FUCKS SAKE. IT WAS A SINGLE!

Please.

sheepdean
05-13-2014, 02:54 AM

Please.
http://www.ninwiki.com/The_Perfect_Drug_(halo)
http://www.ninwiki.com/We%27re_In_This_Together_(halo)

Halo Infinity
05-13-2014, 02:00 PM
Joy Prevention Hotline - I don't know why what you're talking about didn't remind me of this sooner. The same exact upload from 8 years ago is still there. It also sounds like a reference to Terrible Lie and Reptile. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0qQ1pomYzk

Halo Infinity
05-13-2014, 02:04 PM

Please.
Fuck's sake is right. I'd also love to hear more from Year Zero too. :D

sick among the pure
05-13-2014, 03:08 PM
http://www.ninwiki.com/The_Perfect_Drug_(halo)
http://www.ninwiki.com/We%27re_In_This_Together_(halo)

And those even had Halo #s.

fortheloveofgod
05-13-2014, 03:33 PM
Hurry up summer tour!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-ZMRYWUOBc

thatguymark
05-13-2014, 04:18 PM
Hurry up summer tour!!!

This. Definitely this. For a song that's only ever been played live, it doesn't get played near enough, and it had a freakin' tour named after it. For that matter, I'd love to hear 'Lights In The Sky,' as it's criminally underplayed as well. Though not as an opener. Now I'm Nothing -> Terrible Lie is the perfect opening. Or maybe Pinion -> Mr. Self Destruct. We'll see what he has in store soon enough, but since the last co-headline tour featured some truly bizarre and wonderful setlists, it would be nice if the Soundgarden shows followed suit.

sweeterthan
05-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Hurry up summer tour!!!

So fucking good.

ophelia_
05-13-2014, 06:40 PM
£300 for a signed LE print... Ouch!

http://russellmills.com/russell_mills/shop/

BrownEyedStatistic
05-13-2014, 07:04 PM
Pissed off that this video will be taken down because Bowie's Record label only gave them a year long permission:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaOC9danxNo#t=109

BrownEyedStatistic
05-13-2014, 07:25 PM
So fucking good.

And it's my first time hearing this song...

Let the goodness come down and wash me way......

mfte
05-13-2014, 09:52 PM
I used to, and still do, listen to TDS on headphones. Except I pull the headphone cable out just enough so that only certain things in the phase spectrum remain. You can really hear some hidden sounds when you do that. I haven't come across any other record really that allows you to peel back the layers using that method.

nooneimportant
05-13-2014, 10:09 PM

I think his voice is probably messed up. When he says "thank you" at the end, it sounds really strained.

MrSlfDstruct
05-13-2014, 10:35 PM
It actually kind of sounds like it's slightly sped up. Nothing in that video really sounds quite right.

Kyle
05-13-2014, 11:35 PM
Pissed off that this video will be taken down because Bowie's Record label only gave them a year long permission:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaOC9danxNo#t=109
video is private. What is it?

Kyle
05-13-2014, 11:37 PM
This. Definitely this. For a song that's only ever been played live, it doesn't get played near enough, and it had a freakin' tour named after it. For that matter, I'd love to hear 'Lights In The Sky,' as it's criminally underplayed as well. Though not as an opener. Now I'm Nothing -> Terrible Lie is the perfect opening. Or maybe Pinion -> Mr. Self Destruct. We'll see what he has in store soon enough, but since the last co-headline tour featured some truly bizarre and wonderful setlists, it would be nice if the Soundgarden shows followed suit.
It still got played more than a certain song that had an entire live DVD named after it.

sick among the pure
05-14-2014, 01:55 AM
It still got played more than a certain song that had an entire live DVD named after it.

Beside You In Time? :p
I'm kidding, of course. It was Closure. Closure has never been played live before.

Khrz
05-14-2014, 02:21 AM
video is private. What is it?

Space Oddity covered by Chris Hadfield while in the ISS I presume, they had a one year agreement which ended yesterday I think.

TheBang
05-14-2014, 02:58 AM
It actually kind of sounds like it's slightly sped up. Nothing in that video really sounds quite right.
Sorry, but it's an accurate representation of the performance of the song that night. I compared it to an audience recording from the same night, and the pitch and speed are exactly the same.

Kyle
05-14-2014, 02:59 AM
Beside You In Time? :p
I'm kidding, of course. It was Closure. Closure has never been played live before.

i think they played Closure to God once.

niggo
05-14-2014, 06:11 AM

I checked on RITC, sound and speed are accurate. Sure, his voice is probably just strained, but in this case it really sounds like younger Trent, which I find pretty cool/interesting.

theimage13
05-14-2014, 08:16 AM
I checked on RITC, sound and speed are accurate. Sure, his voice is probably just strained, but in this case it really sounds like younger Trent, which I find pretty cool/interesting.

The weird thing is that this video and the RITC recording don't match - they're both listed as May 24, but they aren't the same performance. So...is the video mislabeled, or are the two recordings on RITC swapped?

(my guess is the video is mislabeled)

MrSlfDstruct
05-14-2014, 10:15 AM
Sorry, but it's an accurate representation of the performance of the song that night. I compared it to an audience recording from the same night, and the pitch and speed are exactly the same.

Interesting. He sounds so much different there, especially when he makes the Bush comment at the beginning.

dominik
05-14-2014, 01:25 PM
I like how Ilan always seems to enjoy the culture when he is on tour.

Halo Infinity
05-14-2014, 04:04 PM
I'm still sometimes amazed as to how much has been discussed, and how much can be discussed about Nine Inch Nails in spite of some of the gaps in between his albums. It's good music standing the test of time, but it also seems to cheer me up and entertain me sometimes, as I hardly have anybody to talk about NIN in real life to. I know I've mentioned this before, but that's why I've always liked ETS, even though there's far more than NIN topics to discuss and lurk in.

It's also no wonder why Trent Reznor is sometimes surprised at the following he has. I still liked how thankful and humble he was at the third NIN show I've attended. It also reminded me of a video in YouTube where he was being interviewed during the start of the Fragility v1.0 tour, and he wondered if anybody still cared, which reminded him as to why he really enjoyed writing music and touring all along. It sucks that I can't find it again right now though. I hope it wasn't taken down, and if it was, I hope somebody else eventually uploads it.

WorzelG
05-14-2014, 04:11 PM
I'm still sometimes amazed as how much has been discussed, and how much can be discuss about Nine Inch Nails in spite of some of the gaps in between his albums. It's good music standing the test of time, but it also seems to cheer me up and entertain me sometimes, as I hardly have anybody to talk about NIN in real life to. I know I've mentioned this before, but that's why I've always liked ETS, even though there's far more than NIN topics to discuss and lurk in.

It's also no wonder why Trent Reznor is sometimes surprised at the following he has. I still liked how thankful and humble he was at the third NIN show I've attended. It also reminded me of a video in YouTube where he was being interviewed during the start of the Fragility v1.0 tour, and he wondered if anybody still cared, which reminded him as to why he really enjoyed writing music and touring all along. It sucks that I can't find it again right now though. I hope it wasn't taken down, and if it was, I hope somebody else eventually uploads it.
Do you mean this interview?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfzPlh-eSwY

TheBang
05-14-2014, 04:54 PM
The weird thing is that this video and the RITC recording don't match - they're both listed as May 24, but they aren't the same performance. So...is the video mislabeled, or are the two recordings on RITC swapped?
Are you sure? I downloaded the 5/24 recording from RITC website, and it's the exact same performance as shown in the video, Ally birthday wishes beforehand included.

BrownEyedStatistic
05-14-2014, 06:16 PM
Space Oddity covered by Chris Hadfield while in the ISS I presume, they had a one year agreement which ended yesterday I think.

Yes. I was very sad to find that it's not gone. :(

Halo Infinity
05-14-2014, 08:26 PM
Do you mean this interview?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfzPlh-eSwY
Yes. Thank you very much for finding it, as it really is one of my favorite Trent Reznor quotes. I can only hope that a much better quality video of it actually exists. :)

theimage13
05-14-2014, 08:39 PM
Are you sure? I downloaded the 5/24 recording from RITC website, and it's the exact same performance as shown in the video, Ally birthday wishes beforehand included.

I just spent an hour re-downloading it (since I'd deleted it already) and...I don't know what the fuck I was thinking. Yeah, they match.

ImTheWiseJanitor
05-14-2014, 11:09 PM
A New DVD of the 1998 American remake of Godzilla is currently a couple bucks MORE expensive than the vinyl edition of Welcome Oblivion on Amazon.

I know this should go in the HTDA subforum, but I felt like it needed to be brought to more people's attention.

Charmingly Miserable
05-15-2014, 12:10 AM
After finally getting around to listening to Niggy Tardust (which is excellent, btw), I think that Trent should really do more hip hop stuff. (Hello, Death Grips).

Halo Infinity
05-15-2014, 03:49 PM
Perhaps it's because there's obviously a lot of huge Nine Inch Nails fans on ETS and NIN.com, but it's always nice to see Nine Inch Nails fans being supportive through purchasing CDs, DVDs, and concert tickets. This also doesn't make me feel so alone with CD collecting. I'm also hardly a concert person, as I'm a bit of a recluse, but I've liked NIN so much to actually see him live. (Along with a few other bands, but that's just me.)

As I've mentioned before, it's always a pleasure since I hardly know any NIN fans in real life, and that ones I do know in real life are either not on ETS or NIN.com, or they're not a regular part of my life as of now even though I'm still cool with them. (However, it's kind of like I have no friends and no family at this point of my life right now, with my parents being the only exception.) I went with a few of them in real life before to see NIN, but they're not really close friends, even in the literal sense as they live far away from my home, while having different interests, and I doubt that they're into collecting physical media of any kind that much, with the exception of some video games here and there. I've always been impressed by the NIN collections displayed here too.

Oh yes, and I didn't forget about the vinyl collections either. I'd also do it, but I think I'd at least need a decent vinyl player first. (I hardly know a thing about vinyl players, and the one I have right now isn't as good as I thought it was.) It's also nice to see that just about every single NIN album is on vinyl.

implanted_microchip
05-16-2014, 12:30 PM
"Please" has got to make a comeback live. Listening to the Fragile for the first time in a few weeks (I know, right?) and every time I hear that song I just think how great it would be to see.

r_k_f
05-16-2014, 01:26 PM
Just got done listening to the Year Zero Instrumental album... its amazing how much is missed when lyrics are in the way..

elementroejoy
05-16-2014, 01:52 PM
I honestly think if The Slip were released today on a label instead of Hesitation Marks the singles would be higher on the radio charts than Came Back Haunted. Whenever I listen to alternative radio stations in Chicago I sometimes will hear Came Back Haunted but if Discipline or Echoplex or even Demon Seed were released instead I think they would fit with whats played on the radio and be requested more.

sweeterthan
05-16-2014, 03:13 PM
Echoplex and demon seed are both great but under appreciated nin songs. CBH is over cooked and way overrated IMO but I truly love every other song on HM. It's superior to the slip in so many ways.

implanted_microchip
05-16-2014, 03:33 PM
Demon Seed live into Came Back Haunted would actually be awesome, going from "There is a seed inside of me" to "They put something inside of me."

Halo Infinity
05-16-2014, 06:33 PM
The Collector actually grew on me, and it actually has become one of my favorite tracks on With Teeth. I used to skip it most of the time, but it's also become one of the songs that got more relatable to me as I got older. The live version has also increased my appreciation of The Collector.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko99mg42iyY

implanted_microchip
05-16-2014, 08:20 PM
I'm really not expecting anymore Ghosts releases for a long time if ever. It seems to me like the scoring he's been doing for years now has become an outlet for him to work on purely instrumental sounds, with HTDA and NIN letting him do the traditional structure more. I've honestly viewed his score work as the next step in the whole idea of Ghosts, he had a desire to make instrumental music and now he's found a completely suitable format for it.

ImTheWiseJanitor
05-16-2014, 08:35 PM
I'm really not expecting anymore Ghosts releases for a long time if ever. It seems to me like the scoring he's been doing for years now has become an outlet for him to work on purely instrumental sounds, with HTDA and NIN letting him do the traditional structure more. I've honestly viewed his score work as the next step in the whole idea of Ghosts, he had a desire to make instrumental music and now he's found a completely suitable format for it.

See, with all of Trent's "official" projects ramping up so much lately, I think that we can expect another Ghosts-type project to pop up sooner or later. If anything, it wouldn't be because of idle hands, but maybe a break from contractual obligations and stuff like that.

For the record, I do consider Ghosts an official release, but you know what I mean.

jessamineny
05-16-2014, 08:49 PM
See, with all of Trent's "official" projects ramping up so much lately, I think that we can expect another Ghosts-type project to pop up sooner or later. If anything, it wouldn't be because of idle hands, but maybe a break from contractual obligations and stuff like that.

For the record, I do consider Ghosts an official release, but you know what I mean.

I don't think he has contractual obligations anymore. HM was released "under exclusive license to Columbia Records"

ImTheWiseJanitor
05-16-2014, 08:57 PM
I don't think he has contractual obligations anymore. HM was released "under exclusive license to Columbia Records"

Oh, you know what I mean. :P His big fancy official projects.

implanted_microchip
05-16-2014, 09:00 PM
I wouldn't mind another Ghosts I'd just be surprised if the guy wanted to go from doing huge lengthy scores of instrumental music to doing another 2 hours or so of instrumental music, especially if he keeps doing Fincher's stuff.

wizfan
05-16-2014, 10:48 PM
Baahaahaahhaahha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dHPk-F_cLc

piggy
05-16-2014, 11:12 PM
Maybe I've just been watching too much Twin Peaks, but I see a slight similarity between the five note melody in the middle eight of "Reptile" (from 5:13 to 5:21) and the ascending Twin Peaks leitmotif that leads into the climax of "Laura Palmer's Theme".

eversonpoe
05-16-2014, 11:49 PM
Baahaahaahhaahha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dHPk-F_cLc

yeah, because every arpeggio sounds exactly the same :: eye roll ::

(not eye-rolling at you, obviously)

sick among the pure
05-16-2014, 11:56 PM
yeah, because every arpeggio sounds exactly the same :: eye roll ::

(not eye-rolling at you, obviously)

every arpeggio is exactly the same
there is no love here
and there is no pain

ImTheWiseJanitor
05-17-2014, 12:44 AM
Sweet Christ. I swear on my LIFE that picture zooms in if you stare into Trent's stare for too long.

Halo Infinity
05-17-2014, 01:46 AM
Depending on my mood, I sometimes find Right Where It Belongs and Zero-Sum to be very comforting. It's also been a while since I've listened to either song.

Henrie_Schnee
05-17-2014, 10:19 AM
Random NIN-comic from a 2007 notebook.
"Die Gefahren der Rockmusik" is of courze german for "The Dangers of Rock-Music".

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2548/4194580321_f376accdcc_b.jpg

Halo Infinity
05-17-2014, 04:17 PM
Looking back at The Downward Spiral to With Teeth today with a different conception of time than I've used to have in the early to mid 2000s, having 4 CDs released as far as major releases went in a span of 11 years isn't that bad.

And since And All That Could Have Been (Live/Still) also count as a major release, that can also make it 6 CDs in a span of 11 years. And well, 1994-2005 was quite the trip for Nine Inch Nails, as I sometimes find myself looking up those eras the most on Google.

Joy Prevention Hotline
05-17-2014, 10:39 PM
Sweet Christ. I swear on my LIFE that picture zooms in if you stare into Trent's stare for too long.
No, you're right — it really does.

Does seem plausible that he "borrowed" the arpeggio, but if so he put it to better use…

nooneimportant
05-17-2014, 11:05 PM
Random NIN-comic from a 2007 notebook.
"Die Gefahren der Rockmusik" is of courze german for "The Dangers of Rock-Music".

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2548/4194580321_f376accdcc_b.jpg

This is basically what happened to me when I first heard the song. It was something else.

nothing8
05-18-2014, 01:43 AM
The instrumental tracks for The Downward Spiral are not good to use as running music.

Halo Infinity
05-18-2014, 11:10 PM
I could actually see that, as both songs would either make me want to relax or mope around. :p

Halo Infinity
05-19-2014, 01:00 AM
I don't know why I kept having this slip my mind. An EP with The Perfect Drug and Driver Down sound in 1997 would've kicked so much ass. I also haven't listened to Driver Down in a while either.

@BrownEyedStatistic (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4525) - I was also just wondering if this was one of other songs by Trent that you haven't heard yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUV2f9GSEDI

icecream
05-19-2014, 01:14 AM
It's always cool to see someone who loves NIN but haven't listened to the really deep cuts react to those songs.

Halo Infinity
05-19-2014, 01:53 AM
I totally get what you mean by that. If I don't show it on the outside, :D is what I feel on the inside whenever I get any Nine Inch Nails lover listening to And All That Could Have Been (Still) for the very first time.

implanted_microchip
05-19-2014, 02:10 AM
Hearing Still for the first time is practically a rite of passage

BrownEyedStatistic
05-19-2014, 10:41 AM
I don't know why I kept having this slip my mind. An EP with The Perfect Drug and Driver Down sound in 1997 would've kicked so much ass. I also haven't listened to Driver Down in a while either.

@BrownEyedStatistic (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4525) - I was also just wondering if this was one of other songs by Trent that you haven't heard yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUV2f9GSEDI

I have not heard this song until now.
And I like it!

And most of those music videos I have not seen either!

dlb
05-19-2014, 01:07 PM
So I just compiled a definitive (at least for me) live setlist for a concert I think could easily happen and is based on the Oslo and Berlin setlists of 2014 for my iPod and to get me pumped for Friday in London:

00. the eater of dreams / pinion
01. wish
02. sanctified
03. the frail / the wretched
04. march of the pigs
05. piggy
06. all time low
07. disappointed
08. the becoming
09. came back haunted
10. me, I'm not
11. find my way
12. burn
13. gave up
14. copy of a
15. the great destroyer
16. hand covers bruise
17. beside you in time
18. copy of a
19. the hand that feeds
20. head like a hole
(encore)
21. closer
22. the day the world went away
23. hurt

This is the set I would die for right now and that I think is possible for them to pull off given the circumstances of this current tour.

implanted_microchip
05-19-2014, 01:16 PM
dlb : you must really love Copy of a

dlb
05-19-2014, 01:24 PM
haha fuck! :D but yeah, I actually do! :D

scorpiusdiamond
05-19-2014, 01:48 PM
Best part of the gig last night? The security guy who sang EVERY WORD of all the songs.
He stopped people shining dumb camera lights at the stage too. So rad.
Has anyone else seen him?

MacabreMagpie
05-20-2014, 02:31 AM
This dude "nailed" it (so to speak).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp5tgX8YTgo

botley
05-20-2014, 09:10 AM
I totally forgot they were playing these smallish club shows in 2007; this is a really cool set with lots of chat to the crowd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5xgjAG2sQQ

Fangster_
05-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Best part of the gig last night? The security guy who sang EVERY WORD of all the songs.
He stopped people shining dumb camera lights at the stage too. So rad.
Has anyone else seen him?

Yeah. Only it was extra uncomfortable during the odd song I couldn't remember all the lyrics to. Knowing he was there somewhere, preying with his eyes, likely staring at my fumbling mouth during Me, I'm Not. Thinkin' I'm just some casual and shit. But I showed him with Somewhat Damaged. I fucking showed him alright.

Charmingly Miserable
05-20-2014, 09:54 PM
Hearing Still for the first time is practically a rite of passage
Still is close to perfection as far as NIN goes. I'm so sad that I don't have a physical copy of this. :(

implanted_microchip
05-20-2014, 09:58 PM
Still is close to perfection as far as NIN goes. I'm so sad that I don't have a physical copy of this. :(

The deluxe edition releases of AATCHB are actually pretty affordable, usually! Have you looked around discogs? I got mine used in mint condition at an FYE store for something like 15 dollars, it was a fantastic day to say the least (never expected to find it in a store like that).

EDIT: http://www.discogs.com/Nine-Inch-Nails-And-All-That-Could-Have-Been-Live-Deluxe-Edition/release/1429453 25 dollars or so used; http://www.discogs.com/Nine-Inch-Nails-And-All-That-Could-Have-Been-Still/release/438843 18 for Still as a stand-alone release.

Charmingly Miserable
05-20-2014, 09:59 PM
You still think I can get a mint copy of that?

implanted_microchip
05-20-2014, 10:03 PM
The two listings for Still as its own thing are sealed apparently. 18 and 25 dollars respectively; not bad at all really.

WorzelG
05-21-2014, 12:47 AM
I wonder if Trent is going to do any promotional stuff while in the UK. I thought he might have gone on the Zane Lowe radio show at least. They're off Thursday, I suppose he might do something like that then

Halo Infinity
05-21-2014, 02:24 PM
I've barely listened to Disappointed, as I'm sure it was brought up many times, but I still thought it was cool to hear what sort of sounded like a very small part of Ghosts I - 3 on it on 3:16-4:13 after listening to it after quite some time.

sick among the pure
05-21-2014, 06:46 PM
The two listings for Still as its own thing are sealed apparently. 18 and 25 dollars respectively; not bad at all really.

You can still get sealed Still for the original $10.

Ryan
05-21-2014, 09:35 PM
nin.com sells Still brand new for like $10.

nxtort
05-22-2014, 12:10 AM
Yeah, KROQ played it on Fri., Nov. 22, 1996:

https://groups.google.com/group/alt.music.nin/browse_thread/thread/ac85b488d19f1c5c/8624b02111026ae0?hl=en&q=perfect+drug+kroq+group:alt.music.nin#8624b02111 026ae0

It was digitized into the infamous RealAudio file and uploaded to the Internet on Nov. 26:

https://groups.google.com/group/alt.music.nin/browse_thread/thread/386a684c94bc0b2e/5797e53e242c4197?hl=en&q=perfect+drug+group:alt.music.nin#5797e53e242c419 7

The soundtrack was released in January.
Here's the original RA file, dug out from the archives. You can play it with VLC:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ygzitz3iznm

I remember trying to load this on my 14.4 on a Mac Iivi holy hell I am so happy you posted this. I remember playing it over and over and over when I got that sucker loaded.

Halo Infinity
05-22-2014, 12:39 AM
nin.com sells Still brand new for like $10.
That's definitely a relief, as I plan to actually buy it as a present for somebody, along with the other albums prior to it. I'm sure he'd appreciate it, considering his other tastes, and I'm at least trying to get Pretty Hate Machine up to With Teeth for him. :)

ophelia_
05-22-2014, 12:55 AM
Actually they don't anymore... or didn't the last time I looked a few weeks ago.

sick among the pure
05-22-2014, 02:33 AM
Actually they don't anymore... or didn't the last time I looked a few weeks ago.

Seems it's been taken down. Either way, there's someone on the forums that has literal boxes full of sealed copies that he is selling at that $10/ea. Can't remember his s/n right now, the guy who got the storage container full of merch.

jmtd
05-22-2014, 02:55 AM
Seems it's been taken down. Either way, there's someone on the forums that has literal boxes full of sealed copies that he is selling at that $10/ea. Can't remember his s/n right now, the guy who got the storage container full of merch.

Iirc it's heavenly_bearded

eversonpoe
05-22-2014, 08:07 AM
That's definitely a relief, as I plan to actually buy it as a present for somebody, along with the other albums prior to it. I'm sure he'd appreciate it, considering his other tastes, and I'm at least trying to get Pretty Hate Machine up to With Teeth for him. :)

yeah, kris, talk to heavenly_bearded because he's still got a ton of copies that he sells for a proper price.

heavenly_bearded
05-22-2014, 10:23 AM
$10 ea... I like $5 better :)

sick among the pure
05-22-2014, 01:07 PM

Such a great guy. If I had a use for a second copy I'd hit you up. Hell, I might get one for a random friend or something at some point.

Halo Infinity
05-22-2014, 01:51 PM
Damn, that really is a shame. I forgot about that for a moment until I also looked it up.

Halo Infinity
05-22-2014, 01:52 PM
Are you also on Amazon.com by any chance?

Trains
05-22-2014, 02:10 PM
I did not know this existed...

http://thehistory.nin.com

Halo Infinity
05-22-2014, 02:17 PM
Me neither. Thanks for the find. :)

heavenly_bearded
05-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Are you also on Amazon.com by any chance?

Ebay, Amazon, Discogs, probably a couple other places I've forgotten about along the way. Best to ask me via pm here. Save some fees for both of us.

sheepdean
05-23-2014, 06:59 AM
After prolonged hours of listening, I'm certain Everything is about your first time at a gay bar

Henrie_Schnee
05-23-2014, 08:13 AM
After prolonged hours of listening, I'm certain Everything is about your first time at a gay bar

Now that you have gone away
I'm just trying to find a gay

Halo Infinity
05-23-2014, 05:18 PM
I've always thought that selling purchased copies for half price was decent, but that's just awesome, considering how that's almost like one third of the original retail price plus tax. If anything, it seems more like a win-win situation if people sold sealed CDs and vinyl at half price, or even less in your case. Good on you, indeed. :)

K-Rice
05-23-2014, 06:08 PM
I just got my copy of Ghosts on vinyl! It's so beautiful...

Halo Infinity
05-23-2014, 06:11 PM
It seems like this guy could've used ETS at the time. Anyway, I thought seeing just a sealed copy of With Teeth on vinyl was pretty cool. I'd definitely like a copy of it some day as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isT-bvaC-pQ

Charmingly Miserable
05-23-2014, 09:16 PM
Every time I eat spinach dip, chips with cream cheese and salsa or something naught like that at work, The Perfect Drug runs through my head. Fat girl problems

Joy Prevention Hotline
05-23-2014, 10:15 PM
Mmmm, cream cheese.

Yoshata
05-23-2014, 10:42 PM
All this time, I had no idea that nin.com had a banner that changed every day for this tour. I haven't been going on nin.com that often. Is there any way I can see all the past banners, or not possible? Maybe someone has been documenting them?

nothing8
05-24-2014, 05:34 AM
I don't really like Satellite all that much, but I love listening to it just to hear the "clap" part before the chorus. It's similar to the beginning of 10 Ghosts II

Ryan
05-24-2014, 05:50 AM
I did not know this existed...

http://thehistory.nin.com

Me either! Where the hell did it come from and where the hell did you find it?!

Trains
05-24-2014, 06:09 AM
Me either! Where the hell did it come from and where the hell did you find it?!

There was a link to it on the London O2 website, in the 'about Nine Inch Nails' section. I'm guessing it might be for press or professional use maybe? Like a CV or profile?

nooneimportant
05-24-2014, 07:35 AM
Listening to a Lollapalooza 1991 show and Trent had a pretty hilarious line during Get Down, Make Love. During the part where he says "I suck your mind, you suck my head" instead he says it as "I suck your mind! You suck my dick!" and I had to skip back to hear it again cause it caught me off guard.

sheepdean
05-24-2014, 07:37 AM
There was a link to it on the London O2 website, in the 'about Nine Inch Nails' section. I'm guessing it might be for press or professional use maybe? Like a CV or profile?
It's been around for a while (since the slip at least), I've never quite figured out the purpose

botley
05-24-2014, 09:02 AM
It's been around for a while (since the slip at least), I've never quite figured out the purpose
I believe Rob was originally planning to make it a user-editable database, until fans took the same concept to ninwiki.

Halo Infinity
05-24-2014, 06:47 PM
This has always occurred to me, but it also reminds me why I'm still a long-term fan of Nine Inch Nails. I've always loved how his albums are often, if not always guaranteed to satisfy me back-to-back. There hasn't been an album that didn't satisfy me less than halfway through, as I ended up liking most of the songs from even my least favorite albums. I know not every experience with musicians' releases is like this, but to me, Nine Inch Nails is one of those sure-fire guarantees for satisfaction as far as full-length LPs go once most of them click with you. This is nothing new to many fans, but it's always a pleasure to see it being one of the biggest and best reasons to guarantee a long-term and dedicated fan-base.

Charmingly Miserable
05-25-2014, 04:22 PM
Nothing can stop me now.

GavinCollins420
05-25-2014, 04:49 PM
God damn, I want With Teeth, Year Zero and The Fragile on vinyl.

Unfortunately, I do not shit money.

Joy Prevention Hotline
05-25-2014, 09:24 PM
Nothing can crop me now
Cuz I've no hair anymore
Nothing can crop me now
Cuz I've got no hair

Rubeninphoenix
05-25-2014, 10:50 PM
I would be nice if they revived the old NIN: Access app for this tour. Make an Android version for the Android users as well.

Ryan
05-25-2014, 11:06 PM
Nothing can crop me now
Cuz I've no hair anymore
Nothing can crop me now
Cuz I've got no hair

This tickled me for some reason.

Joy Prevention Hotline
05-25-2014, 11:14 PM
This tickled me for some reason.
It's the stubble.

Hey pig
Nothing's growing out the way I planned…

Ryan
05-25-2014, 11:17 PM
It's the stubble.

Hey pig
Nothing's growing out the way I planned…

Hey mother fucking pig
There's so many hairs I thought you'd help me strand

Joy Prevention Hotline
05-26-2014, 01:24 AM
Because I'm bored: NIN song titles that aren't in the lyrics — ignoring instrumentals (duh), remixes and covers. Apologies if this has been done before.

(… Oh, fuck it. I'm not sorry at all. :p)

• Heresy
• The Downward Spiral

• Somewhat Damaged
• The Way Out is Through
• Into the Void
• I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally

• Home

• The Good Soldier
• Vessel
• The Greater Good

• Various Methods of Escape

The TDS tracks are pretty borderline. "Heresy" describes the content of the song well enough that you could match the track with the song title, and personally I'd call TDS an instrumental that has some spoken words on top. But at least Heresy fits better than The Becoming or Eraser, which just change verbs into nouns, or BMWAG.

The Good Soldier is another one like Heresy. I don't count Zero-Sum because half of it is easily identifiable in the lyrics.

I leave Echoplex and Demon Seed off the list for the same reason as Zero-Sum.

BONUS! Albums that aren't named after a song on the album:

• Pretty Hate Machine
• Broken
• Things Falling Apart
• Year Zero
• The Slip
• Hesitation Marks

I don't count Fixed, FDTS, Still or YZR because they all play off the preceding album title (TFA is less obvious). And Still could just as easily be based on Gone, Still for that matter.

Halo Infinity
05-26-2014, 01:29 AM
That reminded me of imagining a complete list of Nine Inch Nails songs that have absolutely no profanities on them. It always came up to me when I thought about the Nine Inch Nails & Children thread I made here and NIN.com, along with the other threads I've seen about exposing children to Nine Inch Nails in the old ETS.

Joy Prevention Hotline
05-26-2014, 01:41 AM
That reminded me of imagining a complete list of Nine Inch Nails songs that have absolutely no profanities on them.
You're gonna make me go through NinWiki again, aren't you?

Halo Infinity
05-26-2014, 01:52 AM
It really would be something if they had that kind of list up there though. I also should've seen that coming, and I might also do just that. :p

Halo Infinity
05-26-2014, 02:15 AM
I also didn't want to forget to say this, so I thought of posting it right now.

I used to think that The Fragile was the first Nine Inch Nails album to receive a lot of criticisms, controversies, and complaints from the NIN fan-base, until I've learned from far more knowledgeable and older fans that lots of NIN fans have reacted that way ever since Broken came out.

This really made me wonder if there were fans that followed Trent Reznor through Option 30, Exotic Birds, Slam Bamboo, and the Purest Feeling era that had a "WTF kind of shit is this?" reaction to Pretty Hate Machine. If by any chance you've followed him in any era before Pretty Hate Machine came out, have you also seen that happen from other fans, or even yourself?

And to also add to early NIN thoughts, are there lots of Guns N' Roses fans that booed him back in 1991 fans now? That would be quite the coincidence, and yet a very believable one at that, as I could see Broken and The Downward Spiral winning them over. That question also came to mind, as it just makes me wonder. (And not that it has to be answered, but I just found it interesting to think about.)

fillow
05-26-2014, 02:36 AM
I'd like to see a complete NIN lyric sheet with every song filled with profanities TR used in live versions over the years. "This world never give me a chance. Mother fucker gonna have to pay" etc

piggy
05-26-2014, 05:15 AM
I used to think that The Fragile was the first Nine Inch Nails album to receive a lot of criticisms, controversies, and complaints from the NIN fan-base, until I've learned from far more knowledgeable and older fans that lots of NIN fans have reacted that way ever since Broken came out.

This really made me wonder if there were fans that followed Trent Reznor through Option 30, Exotic Birds, Slam Bamboo, and the Purest Feeling era that had a "WTF kind of shit is this?" reaction to Pretty Hate Machine. If by any chance you've followed him in any era before Pretty Hate Machine came out, have you also seen that happen from other fans, or even yourself?
Doubtful that anyone was following him in those days, but Trent did say that when they were doing some early touring (probably Lollapalooza in 1991), people who went out and bought the album were disappointed with the somewhat neutered (to their ears) sound of the album as opposed to the way the music was being presented live at that time. So, you see, we NIN fans have been a bunch of butt-hurt malcontents right from the beginning, LOL.