PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Rim

aggroculture
12-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Del Toro's first film as director since the awesome Hellboy II.
Trailer gives too much away, as often.
http://www.pacificrimmovie.net/trailer

hellospaceboy
01-05-2013, 12:02 AM
I just would like to add my "FUCK YEAH!!!" to this thread.

This is without question the most awaited movie of 2013 in my book. Stoked!

heroicraptor
01-05-2013, 02:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfB09Wie6yk

Findus
01-10-2013, 09:04 PM
I wonder what's going on with Tim Burton's Monsterpocalypse. It sounds a lot like Pacific Rim, but the giant monsters come from another planet. Hopefully it's still going forward..... I don't think there can be too many giant robots vs giant monsters movies.

http://screenrant.com/monsterpocalyse-movie-tim-burton-sandy-69189/

In somewhat related news, there's a new screenwriter for the Shadows of the Colossus movie:
http://screenrant.com/shadow-of-the-colossus-movie-writer-seth-lochhead/

october_midnight
03-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Del Toro screened an almost finished cut for fans, and here are some reactions:

* Just saw "Pacific Rim." Thank You Guillermo Del Toro, thank you. I've been walking around in a daze for the last thirty minutes.

* I just saw the nearly-finished "Pacific Rim." I know I'm prone to hyperbolic statements... but believe me... "Pacific Rim" is STUNNING. The extended "Battle of Hong Kong" sequence is the greatest sustained sci-fi action sequence in cinema history. "Pacific Rim" is the most satisfying summer movie IN DECADES. It delivers EVERYTHING... and I mean EVERYTHING you could possibly want to see.

* Screened "Pacific Rim." It's everything you hoped for and more.

* Didn't love the movie as much as I thought I would, but Max did a great job and he looked good too.

* "Pacific Rim" was pretty awesome. It was also awesome cause it was free. And it was an early screening.

* "Pacific Rim" was the shiiiit. You can't go wrong with giant mecha battles.

* I just saw this movie called "Pacific Rim." It was a fun escape.

* I won't tell u how f*cking awesome this movie might be and I definitely won't tell u how you might exit the movie feeling six years old again. Once you see it, you'll want to see it again. And again. Until you come to realize it'll NEVER be enough. You are physically dizzy and exhausted from excitement when it's all over.

Ocean Blooms
04-29-2013, 06:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zA92Rw6kNWw

thevoid99
04-29-2013, 07:35 PM
I seriously hope this would be good as there's some good stuff on that trailer.

Conrad Lienert
04-29-2013, 07:42 PM
I cannot wait for this movie! It looks so fucking EPIC!

Findus
05-16-2013, 01:56 PM
New trailer:
http://youtu.be/5guMumPFBag

october_midnight
05-16-2013, 01:59 PM
I will gladly pay $100 for the wife and I to see this if they make an IMAX screen the size of a building just for it.

marodi
05-16-2013, 02:30 PM
This is going to be so insane. I can't wait!

october_midnight
05-16-2013, 02:38 PM
And it's Del Toro, he wouldn't do a blockbuster type movie unless there was real substance to back it up. He should send a card to Michael Bay that just says 'lol' on it.

thevoid99
05-16-2013, 03:34 PM
I hope it's really good. I love Guillermo del Toro's work. I know he has the smarts to make a blockbuster w/ substance. I just want him to tell Michael Bay... "Hey pendejo, this is how it's supposed to be done puta-madre!"

Wretchedest
05-16-2013, 07:05 PM
hmmm at the very least an exciting Giant Monster movie, aren't many of those these days. At the most an awesome Del Toro flick.

aggroculture
06-27-2013, 12:58 PM
http://io9.com/is-pacific-rim-destined-to-be-an-epic-flop-576879105
The trailer had me piqued; the posters suuuuuck, and make the movie look like shitty a Transformers knock-off.

richardp
07-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Guys, it's absolutely worth the hype. Your inner six year old monster loving selves will have a fucking hay-day. Lets just say there's a scene where a giant Kaiju with bat wings grabs a robot and flies it into space and they fight in the stratosphere. Yep. It was incredible.

thevoid99
07-09-2013, 10:26 PM
So far, the reviews have been good where the consensus is that it's the film that is smarter than most blockbusters but also has enough to entertain the people. I won't be seeing it this weekend as I'm going to wait a week later.

I've decided to take a leave from the multiplexes due to an unfortunate experience with asshole texting next to me during the early moments of Man of Steel as I asked him to turn off his phone as he's texting which he refuses and he got very pissed and I ended up spitting him at him and just walked out of the theater.

DVYDRNS
07-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Man, this movie looks so stupid to me. I'll probably get suckered into seeing it with friends or something. so I guess with my attitude about movies like this and the reviews that are coming in, I will probably end up impressed.

but really. this looks lame.

Its like transformers vs cloverfield vs godzilla. It doesnt need to be done. but whatever.

Unless somebody can tell me that its a smart film....

hellospaceboy
07-10-2013, 07:03 PM
I've decided to take a leave from the multiplexes due to an unfortunate experience with asshole texting next to me during the early moments of Man of Steel as I asked him to turn off his phone as he's texting which he refuses and he got very pissed and I ended up spitting him at him and just walked out of the theater.

My wife and I got into the habit of seeing movies at the matinee (usually the 2 pm one), on weekdays, when you can have the whole theater to yourself even on a freshly released event movie. It's cheaper, too, and there are no teenage assholes!

richardp
07-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Man, this movie looks so stupid to me. I'll probably get suckered into seeing it with friends or something. so I guess with my attitude about movies like this and the reviews that are coming in, I will probably end up impressed.

but really. this looks lame.

Its like transformers vs cloverfield vs godzilla. It doesnt need to be done. but whatever.

Unless somebody can tell me that its a smart film....

Boy you must have been a really boring child.

DVYDRNS
07-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Boy you must have been a really boring child.

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't know we weren't allowed to voice any of our personal opinions here. Or be able to discuss our tastes.

I'll go back to my white walled blank room now. And try not think about anything interesting.

Actually...

To be honest I'm not a fan of huge summer blockbusters. Typically they are just not that interesting to me.

Especially ones like transformers and Godzilla. This looks like that. And quite frankly I was disappointed when I saw that the man who gave us Pans Labyrinth was now offering this up. Just seems like a gigantic step backwards.

But maybe I'm wrong.

Frozen Beach
07-10-2013, 09:05 PM
I've never thought of Godzilla as ever being a summer blockbuster series. The only one that came towards that was the shitty remake. And Godzilla, believe it or not, wasn't always about a man in a rubber suit destroying shit. The first film is fairly mature, especially considering it came out not long after the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings, and essentially was a reflection upon those events.

I don't think this is a step backwards at all. I think this new film shows how open minded Guillermo del Toro is. And for the record, yes, some giant mecha shows/movies are very shallow, but shows like Neon Genesis Evangelion prove that subjects like this can work and be taken seriously. I love how it essentially uses the mecha structure to its benefits, and turns it into something a lot more complex. In the beginning, it seems like the situation is the driving force, when really, it's the characters and their reactions that make it what it is.

october_midnight
07-11-2013, 12:02 AM
But maybe I'm wrong.

Yep. You're wrong. 100% wrong. This movie pisses all over any Transformers movie. Transformers 4? It already pisses on that. This was a spectacular movie in pretty much any sense. You know each Jaeger pilot so you feel for these people. This had more character depth than I thought it would. I can't wait to see it again, it was that unbelievably good. See it on the biggest screen you can and see it now.

DVYDRNS
07-11-2013, 12:03 AM
:). Well maybe I'll check it out then.

october_midnight
07-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Winning a Pacific Rim contest to name your own Jaeger and getting 4 movie passes (lol), shirt, statue, poster, and soundtrack? Awesome! Knowing the contest was for all of North America and IMAX and the official Pacific Rim twitter account judged yours as 2nd overall ?? Priceless.

littlemonkey613
07-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Heard from 2 close friends this movie is fantastic and eats Transformers 1 for breakfast which is great news for me, I thought that movie was great!

Findus
07-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Hideo Kojima chimes in:
http://kotaku.com/hideo-kojima-reviews-pacific-rim-in-eight-tweets-680304164

exilajei
07-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Well that was awesome! Most fun I've had at a theatre since Cabin in the Woods.

And for the love of god, be sure to see this in IMAX.

nemesiswontdie
07-12-2013, 01:17 AM
Hideo Kojima chimes in:
http://kotaku.com/hideo-kojima-reviews-pacific-rim-in-eight-tweets-680304164

The artist for the MGS and ZOE series, Yoji Shinkawa was also asked by Del Toro to draw a poster for the movie.
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r672/nemesiswontdie3/yojirimjob_zps5d96c3de.jpg (http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/nemesiswontdie3/media/yojirimjob_zps5d96c3de.jpg.html)

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-07-10/metal-gear-shinkawa-draws-pacific-rim-poster-and-japan-creators-laud-film

littlemonkey613
07-12-2013, 03:54 AM
God I love movies from folks who clearly love anime. Del Toro and Nolan are so good with that shit.

Really liked it!

RJK
07-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Saw this in Imax and it was amazing. I think I will see it again before the end of the weekend.

hellospaceboy
07-12-2013, 09:41 PM
I saw it at Imax too, and I loved it. I had really high hope for this movie and I wasn't disappointed a bit. DelToro is a genius.

Also got to snatch up a couple of these gorgeous posters:

http://i.imgur.com/zCZfmvn.jpg

hellospaceboy
07-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Also, I couldn't help but feel bad for the guys who are remaking Godzilla.

spiralout
07-13-2013, 04:47 AM
I will definitely be seeing this movie this weekend. For those who already saw it, do you recommend seeing it in 3D?

RJK
07-13-2013, 05:48 AM
I will definitely be seeing this movie this weekend. For those who already saw it, do you recommend seeing it in 3D?

I thought the 3d was really well done for a conversation. I would suggest Imax which would probably come with 3d.

dlb
07-13-2013, 05:59 AM
Well, del Toro doesn't want you to see it in 3D:
http://screenrant.com/pacific-rim-post-converted-3d

I'll pass on it anyway, mainly because of the money saved and the duration of the movie.

RJK
07-13-2013, 07:54 AM
They also spent 40 weeks doing the 3D conversation. Don't get me wrong I don't normally go to see movies in 3D that are post converted. Of the ones I've seen this one was a top notch conversation. I wish I could have seen it in Imax without it being in 3D but that is just not something that is offered often (if at all.)

dlb
07-13-2013, 07:57 AM
Yeah same here. Most cinemas only offer it in 3D or a 2D version in the early hours which kind of kills the mood of going to the movies IMHO. Despite the fact that the only IMAX here closed in 2005... :/

exilajei
07-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Grown Ups 2 is beating this at the box office. I think I'm done with this planet.

october_midnight
07-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Meh, no biggie. A million other awesome movies flopped at the box office as well. Now we look back at them as classics whereas the shitty movies seen by the flocks of morons were soon forgotten. In 5 years Pacific Rim will still be awesome lol.

Millionaire
07-13-2013, 11:59 PM
Me and the miss prefer to watch movies on weekdays when the theatre isn't packed and we don't have to sit in a crappy seat, but I think we'll have to make the trek this weekend. Grown Ups 2 must be defeated.

johnhenry
07-14-2013, 12:32 PM
I haven't been so giddy walking out of a movie since Matrix or maybe even Pulp Fiction. I love this movie hard.

johnhenry
07-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Grown Ups 2 must be defeated.

It hasn't been (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-report-pacific-rim-584939). At all. Damned shame, though PR is making crazy money outside the US.

thevoid99
07-14-2013, 01:00 PM
It hasn't been (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-report-pacific-rim-584939). At all. Damned shame, though PR is making crazy money outside the US.

I hate you humanity. Adam Sandler. Burn in hell.

pigpen
07-14-2013, 03:53 PM
I saw this last night, I honestly thought it was kind of stupid..
and then I realized it was a comic book, which made the whole thing make way more sense to me.

Wretchedest
07-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Itwas good. It was mostly what it needed to be. It was exciting and entertaining and the fight scenes really delivered. The plot was really predictable and that made the movie something of a grind when monsters werent getting their faces bashed in. Disappointing writing from the fucking pans labyrinth guy.

orestes
07-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Pacific Rim was awesome! Out of four, I would rate it three maracas-shaking Gameras.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/6d71e68ea38c9a9452f421e0f1951913/tumblr_mkokrxOt7b1s9eruyo1_250.gifhttp://25.media.tumblr.com/6d71e68ea38c9a9452f421e0f1951913/tumblr_mkokrxOt7b1s9eruyo1_250.gifhttp://25.media.tumblr.com/6d71e68ea38c9a9452f421e0f1951913/tumblr_mkokrxOt7b1s9eruyo1_250.gif

october_midnight
07-14-2013, 05:39 PM
But I only see threeeeeeeee!!!! :(

Ruined
07-14-2013, 05:48 PM
I'm definitely planning on watching this movie. My question: For any of those who watched it in 3D Imax, did it add or detract from the film? Obviously, there's a lot of action in it; I just don't want to feel overwhelmed, missing parts of the movie because of giant monsters constantly flying off the screen. However, 3D done right can be a lot of fun.

Wretchedest
07-14-2013, 11:19 PM
I saw it without the 3D and it looked fine but my friends and I kept commenting that it was one of the few movies that felt like it would have really been enhanced by seeing it in 3D. Can't comment to whether that's accurate or not though.

thelastdisciple
07-15-2013, 12:38 AM
By far the best film I've seen so far in this 2013 year, and I've seen at least 20+ of 'em (mind you not all in the theaters of course).... this is a diamond in the rough without a doubt.

There was just so much to like and i had an absolute blast watching this film... loved the jaeger and kaiju action.. that was just immense, loved the cast and acting.. (GLaDOS, fuck yeah!) and i thought they did a very good job bringing a lot of heart to their roles. This movie was not complex by any means but it wasn't a dumb movie either which was nice to appreciate, what else... i thought the score was brilliant and the main theme was really great, i felt an overwhelming sense of LET'S KICK SOME KAIJU BUTT every time i heard that theme come boomin' in.

Yeah it was a pretty predictable movie but that's not a crime is it? It followed a lot of cliche formula but that's hard to avoid these days especially when everyone's such an (anal)yst...I mean just watch out for Bob Blogsalot.. he's bound to rip the film a new one as usual.

I think this movie has a good advantage going for it though to go against harsh critique because for once it's not something that's a sequel, prequel, remake or reboot.....it doesn't have to live up to anything or any pre-existing property other than the content it's promising, it doesn't have to be a "Dark Knight".... it also helps that the main content within isn't overdone in cinema. It's not like you're going to get a movie like this as often as something about vampires or zombies....

The only thing I'd really like to know is what the hell was up with J.J Abrams in this movie?

EDIT: i have to add... these guys were my favorite.

http://i.imgur.com/DUkDEnI.jpg

Findus
07-15-2013, 01:42 AM
There's a shot where one of the kaiju being lifted by a jaeger looks like a man in a rubber suit. Not sure if this was an Easter egg, or just my eyes/mind playing tricks.

hellospaceboy
07-15-2013, 01:44 AM
I'm definitely planning on watching this movie. My question: For any of those who watched it in 3D Imax, did it add or detract from the film? Obviously, there's a lot of action in it; I just don't want to feel overwhelmed, missing parts of the movie because of giant monsters constantly flying off the screen. However, 3D done right can be a lot of fun.

The 3D was fine, really, but the important thing here is the IMAX part!!! This is a movie to watch on a giant-ass screen, I think it made for an awesome experience.

Wretchedest
07-15-2013, 02:45 AM
By far the best film I've seen so far in this 2013 year, and I've seen at least 20+ of 'em (mind you not all in the theaters of course).... this is a diamond in the rough without a doubt.

There was just so much to like and i had an absolute blast watching this film... loved the jaeger and kaiju action.. that was just immense, loved the cast and acting.. (GLaDOS, fuck yeah!) and i thought they did a very good job bringing a lot of heart to their roles. This movie was not complex by any means but it wasn't a dumb movie either which was nice to appreciate, what else... i thought the score was brilliant and the main theme was really great, i felt an overwhelming sense of LET'S KICK SOME KAIJU BUTT every time i heard that theme come boomin' in.

Yeah it was a pretty predictable movie but that's not a crime is it? It followed a lot of cliche formula but that's hard to avoid these days especially when everyone's such an (anal)yst...I mean just watch out for Bob Blogsalot.. he's bound to rip the film a new one as usual.

I think this movie has a good advantage going for it though to go against harsh critique because for once it's not something that's a sequel, prequel, remake or reboot.....it doesn't have to live up to anything or any pre-existing property other than the content it's promising, it doesn't have to be a "Dark Knight".... it also helps that the main content within isn't overdone in cinema. It's not like you're going to get a movie like this as often as something about vampires or zombies....

The only thing I'd really like to know is what the hell was up with J.J Abrams in this movie?

I actually think being predictable really held this movie back. I loved the action sequences, and the monster designs and the art direction, but the plot is what ties this thing together, and it sort of becomes a chore because 1: The monster fights are just that awesome, and 2: we have to wade through the plot to get there. We see every last detail of this movie from a mile away, so those spaces in between action sequences are really, REALLY grindy.

I'm not asking for some twist ending here, but the movie goes probably too far into formula territory. I guess it's silly of me to expect this in monsters vs. robots: the movie, but it has the kind of talent behind it that made me really want it to succeed on those fronts as well.

thelastdisciple
07-15-2013, 04:01 AM
I guess i just have a better tolerance toward predictability lol I'm used to it because it's too common to begin with....it's at the point where it just doesn't bother me anymore....if i saw something coming or who was going to die next from a mile away sure it takes away from being surprised but that's where i deflate expectations in those areas.

I can understand someone saying this movie was unnecessarily padded out between action scenes to make the movie longer but it just didn't bother me at all.

*shrugs*

Guillermo apparently cut an entire hour out from the film because he figured people didn't care about anything else other than the action scenes, guess he made the right call for some folks. :/

aggroculture
07-15-2013, 11:50 PM
Very enjoyable.
The fights were boring and gave me a headache: and why was every single fight in water?
The plot was kind of cool, especially the dinosaur/alien thing.
The soap opera/romance parts were bad. The pep talk speech was the biggest cliche, and totally should have been cut.
I wanted to see more of the aliens: these movies never show enough alien.

thelastdisciple
07-16-2013, 12:53 AM
The pep talk speech was the biggest cliche, and totally should have been cut.
This is true.. The Matrix Revolutions, Independance Day, Avatar.. you name it.

I think it's just a thing to be expected with films that deal with that military savior element, they have to have their moment to boost morale and beat on their chests before the big game.

aggroculture
07-16-2013, 06:47 AM
Also I'm going to add that 3d/IMAX is such a distraction. I've never seen a movie either on 3d or IMAX where I didn't feel it detracted from the experience, and hindered absorption in the movie, and this was no different. The process it demands on the part of the viewer, the bother and discomfort and the actual effect itself keep dragging you out of the film. My friend got the tickets, but otherwise I would have seen this 2d. Also, if you take off your glasses and look at the crowd, we look like a bunch of tools from some cheesy dystopian movie.

Favourite scene: when the little girl is being chased. I guess Del Toro has a real talent for depicting scared little girls, I suppose drawing from his daughters.

sentient02970
07-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Fun movie. 3D worked well for the splashes and sparks but then kind of petered out later in the film. There was a bit of a long lag in the middle but overall a great rollercoaster. My 11 year old daughter also approved.

Kid Charlemagne
07-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Saw it yesterday in IMAX 3D and I loved it. I didn't think it dragged too much, I thought the plot was smart and fun at the same time, and the fight scenes were brilliant. It was also good to see Charlie Day play someone with a brain for a change.

Satyr
07-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Loved it. Awesome fun move all around.

I'm gonna go see it at least one more time and drag the wife with me this time just because I want to see a sequel....And it was awesome!

october_midnight
07-22-2013, 01:06 AM
Oh hell yes.

Del Toro has been given the official green light to begin work on Pacific Rim 2. (http://moviepilot.com/stories/1045313-guillermo-del-toro-confirms-pacific-rim-2-and-spills-some-ideas?stamp=51807&subscribe_to=775756&utm_campaign=guillermo-del-toro-confirms-pacific-rim-2-and-spills-some-ideas&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=fb-stream-post)

Alexandros
07-22-2013, 01:58 AM
Oh hell yes.

Del Toro has been given the official green light to begin work on Pacific Rim 2. (http://moviepilot.com/stories/1045313-guillermo-del-toro-confirms-pacific-rim-2-and-spills-some-ideas?stamp=51807&subscribe_to=775756&utm_campaign=guillermo-del-toro-confirms-pacific-rim-2-and-spills-some-ideas&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=fb-stream-post)

Oh come on! Do At the Mountains of Madness already!

dlb
07-22-2013, 02:42 AM
Hmm, I'm going to see it on Wednesday but those news irritate me. Isn't the sheer scale and force of the battles what makes this movie stand above other right now? Some Del Toro magic aside... I don't think a second movie can suceeds on a quality level without them striving for bigger, better, faster.

I'd rather wish he would finally get going to do a final Hellboy to close the trilogy or as Alexandros suggested a Lovecraft movie. Who cares if Prometheus came before? Pacific Rim is pretty Lovecraft-ish on its own and I doubt the majority of the audience will notice anything.

thevoid99
07-22-2013, 03:25 PM
I saw this yesterday w/ The Way, Way Back (a really great film) and I fucking enjoyed it. Here's my full review: http://thevoid99.blogspot.com/2013/07/pacific-rim.html

dlb
07-23-2013, 03:26 AM
Who knew Tom Morello was involved with the soundtrack (only 4 tracks)? Odd news, but yeah, why not? :D

Findus
08-01-2013, 02:14 AM
I would watch this movie:

http://youtu.be/y3Qygyy4204

Jinsai
08-01-2013, 04:46 AM
this is great/awesome/good in every way that the Transformers movies have been awful and unforgivably annoying, and it's the best "Godzilla movie," period. I guess that counts the original King Kong too, and yeah, I'm just saying it's that fucking good. It could have wrapped up better, but fuck it, it's still on that level of "good."

IMHO

I'm almost a little scared by how much I liked this movie... I love you Guillermo Del Toro, and yeah, the Evangelion pandering was appreciated
You win at the fun thing.

october_midnight
06-26-2014, 09:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HndBiSyOrK4&feature=youtu.be

thevoid99
06-26-2014, 09:51 PM
I saw that earlier and all I can say is... OH HELL YEAH!!!!!! Show Michael Bay how it's done.

littlemonkey613
06-27-2014, 03:14 AM
I'm almost a little scared by how much I liked this movie... I love you Guillermo Del Toro, and yeah, the Evangelion pandering was appreciated
You win at the fun thing.

Right?!
You can just tell the dude worships anime. We have the same favorite manga :'). Or rather he has been trying to adapt my favorite manga for HBO.

I can't wait for the sequel. Also, the two leads are sexy as hell can't wait to see them on screen again.

kdrcraig
06-27-2014, 06:53 AM
Really glad he's getting to make a sequel. First one was far from perfect but I liked it a lot.

october_midnight
06-27-2014, 09:51 AM
Projected date: April 7th, 2017

october_midnight
07-04-2014, 10:17 AM
"[Screenwriter Zak Penn] and I really went in, we started with [screenwriter Travis Beacham] about a year and a half ago, kicking ideas back and forth. And, admittedly, I said to Zak, let's keep kicking ideas till we find one that really, really turns the first movie on its ear."

"It was hard to create a world that did not come from a comic book, that had its own mythology, so we had to sacrifice many aspects to be able to cram everything in the first movie. Namely, for example 'the Drift,' which was an interesting concept. [Then there was] this portal that ripped a hole into the fabric of our universe. What were the tools they were using? And we came up with a really, really interesting idea. I don't want to spoil it, but I think at the end of the second movie, people will find out that the two movies stand on their own. They're very different from each other, although hopefully bringing the same joyful giant spectacle."

gorast
07-04-2014, 12:05 PM
I just watched this last night.

What a fantastic movie. Really, just everything about it was phenomenal. It was exactly what it needed to be, with the depth to carry it and really make it shine.

Really glad there's a sequel on the way.

october_midnight
08-09-2014, 08:21 PM
Del Toro discusses Crimson Peak, Pacific Rim 2, and the Justice League Dark television series. (http://ca.ign.com/videos/2014/07/26/guillermo-del-toro-reveals-details-about-pacific-rim-2-comic-con-2014?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social)

Main points for those that don't want to sit through the 13+ minutes:

Crimson Peak - Going to be a gothic fantasy thriller, lots of fantasy a la Pan's Labyrinth but also with lots of horror and 'brutality'.
Pacific Rim 2 - In terms of story, will expand on the other universe a bit more, there will be more daytime fights, new Jaegers and Kaiju. Hunnam, Day, and Perlman (and more) confirmed to return. Will most likely be second part of a planned trilogy (depending on how successful PR2 is)
Justice League Dark - Will most likely be exclusive from the television DC 'world' but open to anything, would be open to the actor in this fall's "Constantine" television series to play the role in the movie.

Oh and Hellboy 3 - 'Everyone's working for it...but the money men.' 'Have you heard of a little thing called Kickstarter?' 'Yes, but we'll need about 120-130 million...'

Wretchedest
08-10-2014, 02:21 AM
I love Pacific Rim and I cant wait for the sequel, but more than that even i woukd like to see Del Toro return to form. He is one of the worlds best living filmmakers and that talent is squandered when used for movies about giant robots that pay homage to anime. Pacific Rim is great. Pans Labyrinth and the Devil's Backbone are k. A completely different level though, and Id like to see more of that.

Hazekiah
09-10-2014, 12:55 AM
Really sad I missed this in theaters...especially IMAX/3D theaters.

BAH!

But I RedBoxed it a bunch of times and bought two copies of the DVD so w/e. I certainly did my part for the sequel, lol.

Hopefully, I'll catch an IMAX/3D re-release someday!

Anyway, I posted something about this movie in the thread for Gravity (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2264-Gravity?p=212674#post212674) the other day and thought I'd better go ahead and about it HERE too.

Right before watching Gravity I happened to watch Pacific Rim with del Toro's director's commentary track on. Obviously, he's collaborated with Cuarón a lot and makes several references to developing Pacific Rim with occasional input from him. So given their friendly spirit of cooperation AND the fact that both films were in production at the same time (both with conversion-input from James Cameron, too) I couldn't help but wonder about the red shoes.

In his commentary, del Toro goes on and on at length about the "color coding" of the film, in particular the association of the color red with the "heart" and "life" of the characters, specifically Mako...linking it in particular with her red shoe from the day she met Pentecost after losing her family.

An, lo and behold, two hours later I'm watching del Toro's buddy Cuarón's movie from the same year and noticing that Stone asks Kowalski to tell her dead daughter that she found her favorite RED shoe under the bed after she'd died and not to worry.

Not that red shoes are that uncommon on little girls or anything, but given the overwhelmingly similar applications in near-simultaneous productions by long-time collaborators and friends who thank each other in the credits of these two films...well, I'm just sayin'!

Wondered if anyone else caught that or if it's maybe been mentioned by either of them anywhere.

The red shoe WAS a bit more of a big deal in THIS movie so I figured maybe fans of Pacific Rim would have more of an idea what I'm talking about and know a little more about what's going on between the two movies there.

Anyone know anything about this?

It seems like it should've been mentioned in an interview somewhere or something.

Just curious, thanks.

:)

october_midnight
10-17-2014, 10:28 AM
Del Toro talks about the sequel. (http://collider.com/pacific-rim-3-details-guillermo-del-toro/)

tl;dr: Some characters return. Some don't...until the end, to hopefully set up a third and final movie.

Maul
10-18-2014, 05:55 AM
I'm excited for this one. New kaijus and new Jaegers are a must.

october_midnight
09-10-2015, 12:48 PM
Pacific Rim 2: Maelstrom apparently delayed; was originally slated to start filming in November, now 2016. (http://www.latino-review.com/news/rumor-pacific-rim-2-delayed)

Self.Destructive.Pattern
09-10-2015, 05:49 PM
Heard about this yesterday :(... Still cannot wait.

october_midnight
09-16-2015, 02:15 PM
Well fuck. For the same reason that Tron 3 got axed, Pacific Rim: Maelstrom has been delayed indefinitely (http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/16/9339687/pacific-rim-2-on-hold-indefinitely).

So yeah, Pacific Rim 2? FUCK IT. Hellboy III and Tron 3? NAHHH. Fantastic Four 2? FULL STEAM AHEAD, FUCKERS.

october_midnight
09-20-2015, 11:18 AM
Well, now del Toro says PR: Maelstrom is still happening. (http://www.latino-review.com/news/pacific-rim-maelstrom-still-happening)

Fingers crossed.

Broadbent
09-20-2015, 12:48 PM
Well, now del Toro says PR: Maelstrom is still happening. (http://www.latino-review.com/news/pacific-rim-maelstrom-still-happening)

Fingers crossed.

Ya but to him "still happening" means he'll still write it, but the people with the money, say no pacific rim 2.

october_midnight
09-20-2015, 02:11 PM
Ya but to him "still happening" means he'll still write it, but the people with the money, say no pacific rim 2.

Very true. The fact that they're 'turning in the screenplay and budget' is only 1% of the battle.

del Toro: "Here's what we got, when do we start filming?"
exec: "lol."

october_midnight
10-04-2015, 01:48 PM
Though it's officially been delayed...though not indefinitely...del Toro met up with Maisie Williams from GoT and wants her for a role in PR2. (http://nerdist.com/pacific-rim-2-may-be-recruiting-maisie-williams/)

Self.Destructive.Pattern
01-12-2016, 10:15 AM
Not cancelled. *Phew* (http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/12/pacific-rim-2-guillermo-del-toro-says-sequel-is-not-cancelled?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm_content=12&utm_campaign=Blogroll)

Rabbit
01-13-2016, 02:22 PM
i wanted to like Pacific Rim, i really did. And i tried but for the most part it's terrible. Del torro is extremely hit or miss with me.

GibbonBlack
01-13-2016, 02:54 PM
i wanted to like Pacific Rim, i really did. And i tried but for the most part it's terrible. Del torro is extremely hit or miss with me.
I'm the same. Pans Labyrinth is a masterpiece though. He'll have to make dozens of crap movies before I call him a bad director just because of that one movie.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-23-2016, 10:40 PM
Director Change (http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/02/24/pacific-rim-2-daredevil-season-1-showrunner-steven-deknight-replaces-guillermo-del-toro-as-director?abthid=56cd3207322a9c2e1c00002a)

october_midnight
02-23-2016, 11:39 PM
Director Change (http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/02/24/pacific-rim-2-daredevil-season-1-showrunner-steven-deknight-replaces-guillermo-del-toro-as-director?abthid=56cd3207322a9c2e1c00002a)

Just saw this a few minutes ago...more importantly, it's back on!

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-24-2016, 10:41 AM
Just saw this a few minutes ago...more importantly, it's back on!

Yes!! I know GDT said that the film was still on a month or so back, but it's great to hear that it's definitely on, and he will at least be producing. It better be worth the wait :D.

Millionaire
02-25-2016, 11:51 PM
I'm glad its getting made, but bummed that Del Toro isn't directing. I was really looking forward to see what he had in store for it. Of course, it still could turn out well; maybe this Deknight guy is game for large-scale action scenes, but who knows if he is or not.

I would've been more comfy if they picked someone with a visual flair for big-ass action, like maybe give the guy who directed the Leviathan short a shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-45NTlgp-o

october_midnight
05-13-2016, 09:16 AM
Jurassic World screenwriter Derek Connolly tapped to write Pacific Rim 2. (http://www.latino-review.com/news/jurassic-world-screenwriter-derek-connolly-to-pen-pacific-rim-2)

botley
05-13-2016, 12:52 PM
I'm out. Loved the first one but just based on the personnel I can tell the sequel will be turdtastic.

october_midnight
05-13-2016, 01:05 PM
I'm out. Loved the first one but just based on the personnel I can tell the sequel will be turdtastic.

Well, might wanna stay away for a while. He's writing Jurassic World 2, the next King Kong, and helping with Star Wars Episode IX as well.

botley
05-13-2016, 01:58 PM
Well, might wanna stay away for a while. He's writing Jurassic World 2, the next King Kong, and helping with Star Wars Episode IX as well.
I hated Jurassic World, fell asleep in Jackson's King Kong, and was disappointed by Star Wars Ep 7 so those aren't exactly ringing endorsements! Good to know.

october_midnight
05-18-2016, 11:30 AM
Production is apparently officially full swing. The story apparently takes place 'a few years after the original' and will further explore the origins of the Kaiju.

october_midnight
06-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Well, looks like the 'will it happen - won't it happen' argument is officially over.

http://www.cinelinx.com/media/k2/items/cache/45d50591ff023c81ead171451dfdf6f1_XL.jpg

Legendary Pictures has tapped John Boyega, one of today’s most talented rising stars, the lead role for the second installment of its PACIFIC RIM franchise. The film, which is targeting a 4th Quarter start date is rapidly taking shape as a key project on Legendary’s upcoming slate with Boyega playing the son of Idris Elba's character from the original film.

http://www.cinelinx.com/images/jmaison/SCIFI_Movies/Pacific_Rim/John_Boyega_3.jpg

The project will be directed by Steven S. DeKnight based on the world created by Guillermo del Toro and Travis Beacham. Thomas Tull, Mary Parent, Jon Jashni, and del Toro will produce the action adventure film along with Boyega and Femi Oguns under their Upper Room Productions shingle. Cale Boyter will serve as the film’s executive producer.
“It is undeniable that with all his talent and natural charm, John stands out amongst today's generation of young leading men,” said Mary Parent, Legendary’s Vice Chairman of Worldwide Production.
"I am very proud and happy to welcome John into a fantastic sandbox. The Pacific Rim universe will be reinforced with him as a leading man as it continues to be a multicultural, multi-layered world. ‘The World saving the world’ was our goal and I couldn't think of a better man for the job," stated del Toro.
John Boyega's previous credits include STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS and ATTACK THE BLOCK. His upcoming projects include STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII, THE CIRCLE opposite Tom Hanks and Emma Watson, IMPERIAL DREAMS, WATERSHIP DOWN alongside James McAvoy and Sir Ben Kingsley, and he will star on stage next year in WOYZECK at The Old Vic. He is represented by WME and Identity Agency Group in the UK and Hansen Jacobson.

bobbie solo
06-12-2016, 11:50 PM
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

Self.Destructive.Pattern
07-01-2016, 07:15 PM
Release date announced!!!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/30/pacific-rim-2-legendary-sets-2018-release-date-for-sequel-starring-john-boyega?abthid=5775b7269755b59a5c000012

orestes
07-01-2016, 08:06 PM
Between this and Black Panther, February 2018 gonna be so lit!

october_midnight
07-02-2016, 09:32 AM
GDT also said that more casting news is coming very soon...I'm so pumped.

Hazekiah
07-02-2016, 09:49 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty fucking psyched for this movie and OMFG every single update just raises my blood pressure THAT much more!!!

XD

october_midnight
07-27-2016, 07:42 PM
Charlie Hunnam confirms he won't be in PR2. (http://www.indiewire.com/2016/07/pacific-rim-2-charlie-hunnam-not-returning-guillermo-del-toro-1201710068/)

Apparently some are saying it's because they're rushing this thing and he's already busy elsewhere, but his quote here about politics vs. art is interesting...

october_midnight
11-11-2016, 01:25 PM
Filming has begun on Pacific Rim: Maelstrom. February 23, 2018.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
11-23-2016, 04:01 PM
Set pics surface! (http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/788031-first-photos-from-the-set-of-pacific-rim-maelstrom#/slide/1)

october_midnight
12-14-2016, 02:43 PM
Kind of a weak bump I know, but official title is now Pacific Rim: Uprising.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
12-15-2016, 10:50 AM
Just read about the title change. Really not a fan :/.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-15-2016, 12:09 PM
Just read about the title change. Really not a fan :/.

Agreed. They might as well have changed it to "Revelations" or "Redemption." I wonder what their reason for changing it was - because if it was for appeal/marketing, that makes me worry that someone has so little faith in the movie that they feel the need to change the name to make sure people stay interested and aren't thrown off by such a confusing and advanced word like "maelstrom."

october_midnight
01-07-2017, 11:15 AM
Boyega spotted in his jaeger armor.

http://www.scified.com/articles/john-boyega-spotted-jaeger-pilot-armor-the-set-pacific-rim-2-53.jpg

And yes, Maelstrom was a waaaay better name than Uprising.

dlb
01-07-2017, 11:19 AM
Really really curious what will come out of this and how they will handle the story. I'm a bit worried that this will be Indepence Day all over again. And yeah, these days every movie title seems to be rising or evoluting in some way... Maelstrom was nice for a change, but maybe they will change it around once again

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-18-2017, 05:33 PM
http://www.scified.com/articles/official-pacific-rim-uprising-movie-logo-unveiled-73.jpg

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/53323bb4e4b0cebc6a28ffa2/t/58a6416ba5790aa125f7c767/1487290736351/?format=750w

october_midnight
07-20-2017, 01:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am-gG-VyXPg

ImTheWiseJanitor
07-20-2017, 02:14 PM
This teaser puts the absolute worst taste in my mouth.

Not what I wanted for my first look, can't lie. I get that it's clearly some kind of in-universe advertising, but eesh. My hype for the sequel was immediately overshadowed by "WHOOAAAA, JAEGERS, HEY KIDS, DO YOOOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES?" Bumpy start, for me.

It's literally a Rocket League commercial with Jaegers.

october_midnight
07-20-2017, 02:20 PM
The saving grace for me up to this point is Steven DeKnight. Just from following him on Twitter, he seems like a no-nonsense, cut the bullshit type of dude that genuinely wants this to succeed, is a massive del Toro fan, etc. etc.

They've shown some new Jaegers, if only in action figure form as well:

Gipsy Agenger

http://www.scified.com/u/pacific-rim-2-gipsy-avenger-jaeger-1.jpg

Bracer Phoenix

http://www.scified.com/u/pacific-rim-2-bracer-phoenix-jaeger-2.jpg

Titan Redeemer

http://www.scified.com/u/pacific-rim-2-titan-redeemer-jaeger-2.jpg

Self.Destructive.Pattern
09-26-2017, 09:17 PM
http://c-8oqtgrjgwu46x24qauvgtx2ekipkoiux2eeqo.g00.ign.com/g00/3_c-8yyy.kip.eqo_/c-8OQTGRJGWU46x24jvvrx3ax2fx2fqauvgt.kipkoiu.eqox2fy qtfrtguux2fuvi.kip.eqox2f4239x2f21x2fRTW_Vut3Ujggv 0_Lqjp_TID_5-942z3362.lrix3fk32e.octm.kocig.varg_$/$/$/$/$/$

october_midnight
10-04-2017, 09:39 AM
First trailer to be shown at NYCC by the end of the weekend...and official synopsis below reveals the return of at least one more main character from the first film:

The globe-spanning conflict between otherworldly monsters of mass destruction and the human-piloted super-machines built to vanquish them was only a prelude to the all-out assault on humanity in Pacific Rim Uprising.
John Boyega (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) stars as the rebellious Jake Pentecost, a once-promising Jaeger pilot whose legendary father gave his life to secure humanity’s victory against the monstrous “Kaiju.” Jake has since abandoned his training only to become caught up in a criminal underworld. But when an even more unstoppable threat is unleashed to tear through our cities and bring the world to its knees, he is given one last chance to live up to his father’s legacy by his estranged sister, Mako Mori (Rinko Kikuchi)—who is leading a brave new generation of pilots that have grown up in the shadow of war. As they seek justice for the fallen, their only hope is to unite together in a global uprising against the forces of extinction.
Jake is joined by gifted rival pilot Lambert (The Fate of the Furious’ Scott Eastwood) and 15-year-old Jaeger hacker Amara (newcomer Cailee Spaeny), as the heroes of the PPDC become the only family he has left. Rising up to become the most powerful defense force to ever walk the earth, they will set course for a spectacular all-new adventure on a towering scale.
Pacific Rim Uprising is directed by Steven S. DeKnight (Netflix’s Daredevil, STARZ’s Spartacus) and also stars Jing Tian, Burn Gorman, Adria Arjona and Charlie Day.

dlb
10-04-2017, 10:05 AM
Well, just like you would expect it from a sequel. I am still a little worried since Del Torro is not directing this and I'm expecting them to take it a little too far this time with the first movie already being rather over the top yet very detailled and beautifully made. But yeah, can't wait for the trailer and some fierce kaiju designs. This one shall make the wait for Godzilla 2 a little shorter. :)

Graceless
10-04-2017, 12:28 PM
Got a text from GoJaeger.com today; entering a code will bring up a War Clock counting down to Friday around 10 am. I read a rumor that if you see Blade Runner 2049 Thursday night, you might get an early look at the trailer. I'm not going just for that, but it's gonna be a nice bonus if I get to see it.

october_midnight
10-05-2017, 11:01 AM
https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/000266651hr1.jpg?w=4297

https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/000266649hr1.jpg?w=4335

https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/000266650hr1.jpg?w=4297

allegate
10-05-2017, 11:06 AM
How is it possible that we're years later and the Jaegers look more like a video game?

october_midnight
10-06-2017, 11:13 AM
This looks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLXn1vWDao4

....not good.

allegate
10-06-2017, 11:31 AM
Wait...Jaeger vs. Jaeger fights? bad-guy-looking mofos getting rockets shot at them? Are there humans working for the Kaijus in this one?

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-06-2017, 01:52 PM
Oh, fantastic, it's been turned into Power Rangers! Can't wait for the inevitable "What if we combine the Jaegers?" "That's impossible!" solution that happens and saves the day.

Posting this for the future when I come back in March for a "CAAALLED IT."

thelastdisciple
10-06-2017, 02:18 PM
^

That's a funny remark considering one of the big complaints about the first movie was that it looked like Power Rangers.

Hm, i thought it didn't look too bad. At least we can actually see what's going on this time.

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-06-2017, 02:37 PM
^

That's a funny remark considering one of the big complaints about the first movie was that it looked like Power Rangers.

Hm, i thought it didn't look too bad. At least we can actually see what's going on this time.

Eh, I saw it more as a love letter to sentai action film/TV shows, and this just feels...soulless. I can see the parallels with Power Rangers for sure, it's hard to ignore. Without sentai we would've never had Pacific Rim. But MAN, does the vibe from this second movie just feel gross. We'll see in March whether I have to eat my words or reiterate them.

marodi
10-06-2017, 05:05 PM
First thing I thought when I saw the trailer was "oh, the new Transformers movie". I haven't seen any Power Rangers movie so...

Anyway, it's not looking good. I think the trailer is the whole movie; at least I hope it is.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
10-06-2017, 08:55 PM
Unless I am missing something here... this looks like a hell of a good time. If you watch the first films trailer, it is pretty similar to Uprising. So pumped for this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5guMumPFBag

thevoid99
10-06-2017, 10:49 PM
I just saw the trailer and... yeah... I'm gonna pass. It looks like every other film in comparison to the first one.

october_midnight
01-23-2018, 11:32 AM
New trailer drops tomorrow morning.

http://assets1.ignimgs.com/2018/01/23/pacificrimuprising-poster-1516666025994_610w.jpg

october_midnight
01-24-2018, 10:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DYMJOSH6xE

Haysey_Draws
01-24-2018, 10:37 AM
You had me at big robots fighting giant monsters.

Being honest with myself this probably won't be as good as the first (i freaking loved the first one) but it should be entertaining non-the-less.

dlb
01-25-2018, 04:32 AM
Looks better than the first trailer but I'm not hooked. While I understand that they want to differentiate themselves from the first movie, this is way too much daylight for my taste. And yeah, I hope it's not too much Jaeger vs Jaeger action and that we get to see the other dimension where the aliens come from a bit more. I'll be seeing it for sure but I buckle up for a little dissapointment.

october_midnight
01-25-2018, 08:35 AM
For what it's worth, the director Steven DeKnight was answering questions on Twitter after the trailer dropped...and I actually asked him about that.

A‏ @octobermidnight (https://twitter.com/octobermidnight)
Replying to @stevendeknight (https://twitter.com/stevendeknight)
Random question...was it a conscious thing to make more of the fights in the daytime? Some may feel it makes it too cartoonish, but to be fair that's one thing I feel the first film could've used a bit more.

Steven DeKnight‏Verified account @stevendeknight (https://twitter.com/stevendeknight) 21h21 hours ago (https://twitter.com/stevendeknight/status/956211213574262785)More

Steven DeKnight
Yes. No way to top what Guillermo did at night in the rain, plus wanted to offer something a little different for round 2.

dlb
01-25-2018, 09:00 AM
Oh cool, nice one @octobermidnight! Yeah I get it, but seriously, huge fights at night in the rain... it doesn't get any cooler than that does it? And while it might have been a little too much in the first one I'm not a fan of too much daylight in the second. But what gives... as long as the fighting is well choreographed and I get to see some evil Kaijus I might still enjoy it!

october_midnight
01-25-2018, 09:07 AM
No I feel you completely. I loved the fights in the ocean especially, when the kaiju rips out of the water and jumps on Gipsy's back...so sick. I also agree with you that it may be a bit much if every fight in the sequel is during broad daylight...it DOES make it look sort of Ultraman-ish lol. I'm more intrigued as to what the story is regarding the jaeger that seems to have gone rogue or fighting the other jaegers for whatever reason. Regardless, 3D IMAX seems to be the only way to go!

bobbie solo
01-25-2018, 10:37 AM
I think having them appear in the daylight so much makes them look super fake/CGI-ish. At least in the trailer. Thats my biggest problem. The darkness and rain added to the realism of the effects in the first one.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-20-2018, 06:27 PM
I think having them appear in the daylight so much makes them look super fake/CGI-ish. At least in the trailer. Thats my biggest problem. The darkness and rain added to the realism of the effects in the first one.

I agree. Hoping there are more scenes during nighttime than what we have seen in the trailer, but seems like they are going for a different approach. Early reviews are in, and seem to be mixed to generally positive with most of them saying "Dumb fun" or "Dumb" in general. Still, cannot wait to see this!

october_midnight
03-24-2018, 12:31 AM
Thank fuck I got in to see an imax 3D showing of this for free...cuz ohhhhhh boy was it a pile of trash. Words escape me.

bobbie solo
03-24-2018, 01:33 AM
Words escape me.

Can you try anyway? I really don't want this to be bad but you & I generally seem to be on the same wavelength. Ugh. I started having a bad feeling when they used that awful song in the trailer.

october_midnight
03-24-2018, 09:01 AM
Alright here goes. Let me start with...

- This will be long. There is so much wrong with this movie it's almost baffling...and I'm pretty forgiving. I fully acknowledge that I like some movies where if anyone were to say 'it sucked', I'd reply with 'yeah, I know.' Read as much as you can...if you want to shake your head thinking 'what the actual fuck.' I'm not joking.
- I'll write it out, as succinct as possible, and then will go back and spoiler tag anything that's just a flat out spoiler, but some of my gripes may include minor spoilers as well so if you wanna go in blind, stop here.
- I love the original with all its flaws. Yes, I know it was cheesy, yes I know ___________...but del Toro, man. You could tell he loved it and why he made this, and more importantly WHO he made it for. This movie is so far removed from the original it's again...baffling. Let's dive in. Bring some Purell. Jesus, I think I might need to write it out on paper first...there's so much.

POSSIBLE AND FLAGRANT SPOILERS BEGIN HERE

- This movie is basically Spy Kids. I'm not making that up. 2/3 of the cast are new recruit pilots. We're talking 13 year olds. Boyega's character Jake Pentecost is basically brought in to help train them, and then whoops, they need to actually fight Kaiju! And whoops, when they do, they're masterfully steering Jaegers despite being 6 months from finishing basic training. LoL ok. There are so many things to make it kid-friendly. There's a snowball fight at the end. GOT YOU! NO YOU CAN'T GET ME! YEAHHH! The theater was 1/3 full of kids.

- The director Steven DeKnight has been openly interacting with fans on Twitter and has mentioned the budget constraints and 'touches' he had to make to the film to make it appease the studio for funding, and it's evident.

- It starts off with Boyega basically narrating the plot of the first movie for those who didn't see it. With legit scenes from the first movie. He's literally reading the IMDB it seems.

- The plot has holes so big you could park your car in them. To start, 'it's been 10 years man...the war's over. some coastal cities didn't ever fully come back, but we're rebuilding.' THEN WHY DO YOU STILL HAVE ALL THESE JAEGERS. We're talking a platoon of about 5 (that you see, could be more) in the Shatterdome that are all new, new callsigns, not a scratch, new weapons, etc. In the first the whole idea was that the governments around the world foolishly deemed them no longer necessary (the wall defense) so they had to go in fists flying with whatever they had left. This time they have a full army, they're training cadets, they've built new Jaegers. For what? You keep stressing there's no need anymore, the script keeps mentioning the war's over...it's been 10 years...who's funding this? Couldn't you slip in one sentence saying something like they were still being built for war purposes like the old days, or for policing people...something. Anything. Fuck this.

- Boyega's charming enough, albeit the constant running joke of him saying how attractive and sexy he is (not lying). Everyone else is expendable as all hell. I can't remember more than 2 of the other names...and those 2 I do, one is the girl he befriends throughout, and the other 'mean girl' Victoria that doesn't like the first girl, but in the end they overcome their odds to band together in a 'I was wrong about you.' way. Yeah, never seen that before. Fuck this. Oh, they kill one of the kids because someone had to die near the end. When they're splitting the kids up in to pairs to fight the final Mega-Kaiju, the two most expendable kids you barely see are stuck together. My wife: 'Oh man, one of them's got to go.' hahaha. And one did. Fuck this.

- Mako is in it basically to tie to the first movie with about 3 minutes of screen time, but whoops. That was fast. Killed off what....15 minutes in?

- The Mega-Kaiju at the end is so dumb. It's a bunch of tiny...they just form together to Voltron in to....it's just so dumb, man.

- The 'big' plot twist with Charlie Day becoming the main villain is weak, and not much of a twist. Ok, he's still drifting with that Kaiju brain, ok it's made him go crazy, ok so there's a bit of Kaiju in his brain now. Crazy. Oh wait, not really.

- The original had one breach. One location they'd come from. There are no Kaiju in this movie until all the drones go rogue...under control from the aforementioned villain in the previous point (first...a corporation is making drones for human protection?...in case Kaiju come back...which they've already stressed 359 times that they know 'will never happen'...they why is anyone even bothering? Fuck this), and in three little groups around the Pacific Rim, stick their little glowing blue cords in to the water and 'we have 3 breaches!' What? They can just open up fissures anywhere? Kaiju can come from anywhere? This hasn't happened with an earthquake or something in the 10 years? They're just sticking these cords like 50 feet below the surface! These drones are like mini Jaegers...in the water they're up 2/3 to their necks? What? Fuck this.

- The attempt at humor is so bad. It's again, very geared towards kids. One of the Kaiju gets knocked down in to a giant chasm that opens up in a city (what?) and of course, the kid pilot makes the Jaeger kneel down and gaze in to the hole. He makes the Jaeger give two giant middle fingers up. I almost walked out.

- The rogue Jaeger is cool enough, but meh. It gets derailed by my last and biggest gripe.

- The fighting, man. Fuckssakes. The trailers made it look less like Pacific Rim and more like Transformers. 'Maybe there's more...' Nope. 'Alright it looks more cartoony, less weighty....maybe...' Nope. It's that bad. In the first movie, these things FELT like they weight a million pounds. They FELT slow and sluggish. When a punch went, it took 3 seconds to hit. You felt the sheer weight. Sure, the fact that it was always in the rain or in the ocean and the water CGI sort of added to it and/or hid it a bit...but they felt like rust-buckets. You saw cables and sparks dropping off when they were hit. It FELT like two people in the head of these giant things...struggling to make it walk due to the sheer damn size of them.

In THIS pile of shit...oh my sweet zombie jesus. All fighting is during the daytime. Sure one is in a blizzard, but we're talking Transformers meets Power Rangers here. Sword fights where it actually looks like men were wearing the motion capture suits and they made them the Jaegers. They're TOO agile. We're talking a full on sword fight two times with fast dodging and sliding trips and kicks. Later on, the 'fastest Jaeger'...I can't even remember the dumb callsign...Athena Ranger or something, is literally doing roundhouse kicks on Kaiju. Jumping dropkicks and shit. It takes away all indications of weight, of gravity...if that makes sense. When the kids are running in the cockpit/head to make it run, they're on like an elliptical track...just sprinting, and the Jaeger is just screaming through the streets. All the fear of 'Damn, it looks like it's all in bright daytime...it looks too cartoony and fake.' It was that 1000%. It pissed me off so much how different it was from the first movie.

I could honestly go on, but I'm legit saying do not waste money on this. Sure, watch it at home in four months, sure. It's fun for a Tuesday night watch to say you've seen it...but seriously. It'll make you physically mad.

eversonpoe
03-24-2018, 09:50 AM
my friend reviewed it for CoS and gave it a D+ oof

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/03/film-review-pacific-rim-uprising-stands-tall-onscreen-but-falls-short-before-long/

thevoid99
03-24-2018, 07:40 PM
I have no interest in seeing the sequel. I'll just stick with the one film by del Toro that I enjoyed the hell out of. Besides, at least you know that film was made with someone who loved kaijus and such and never taking it seriously.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-24-2018, 08:47 PM
Dam October... I was really rooting for this. If I were to ignore the same gripes you had like the weight of the Jaeger, the little kid stuff... Are there any redeeming qualities about the action at least?

october_midnight
03-24-2018, 11:48 PM
Dam October... I was really rooting for this. If I were to ignore the same gripes you had like the weight of the Jaeger, the little kid stuff... Are there any redeeming qualities about the action at least?

Seriously, there wasn’t! I so wanted there to be at least something redeeming haha.

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-25-2018, 12:09 AM
Seriously, there wasn’t! I so wanted there to be at least something redeeming haha.

I'll have you know: I was actually MORE on-the-fence about seeing this before reading your review post. Now I absolutely have to see it, hahah.

Thanks, MoviePass! (I'll actually buy tickets for movies I know I wanna support - MoviePass for multiple viewings and trash fires.)

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-25-2018, 12:58 AM

Well crap. I'm still gonna see it probably this weekend, so I'll give my two cents later this week. I just watched the first tonight on a whim and I still get giddy when I see it.

bobbie solo
03-25-2018, 02:16 AM
Alright here goes. Let me start with...

http://i51.tinypic.com/160ybfa.gif

elevenism
03-25-2018, 02:44 AM
It sounds like maybe this one was made for kids?

dlb
03-25-2018, 05:57 AM
it looks like there are only like two Kaijus in this movie and the mega-kaiju. Are there more? And how are they comapred to the first?

october_midnight
03-25-2018, 09:28 AM
it looks like there are only like two Kaijus in this movie and the mega-kaiju. Are there more? And how are they comapred to the first?

Nope that’s it. Never given names, they appear and it’s like ‘two category fours and a category five...we need to take them out now.’ and cue fight scene. They’re just like all the others, lizard-like creatures with a blue glow. That’s it. The Mega-Kaiju is a bigger version.

october_midnight
03-25-2018, 10:39 AM
Also, while the ending flagrantly tries to set up a trilogy...

Pacific Rim: Uprising is set to win its opening weekend.
Pacific Rim: Uprising earned $10.4 million from 3,708 locations on Friday and $28 million in its opening weekend. That's up from the initial $25 million projections, but still significantly lower than the $37 million earned by the first Pacific Rim in 2013. Considering the first film's sequel prospects were touch and go, the lower opening for Uprising does not bode well for the franchise's future.

Haysey_Draws
03-26-2018, 02:18 AM
I saw this Saturday and whilst it isn't anywhere near as good as the first but i still enjoyed it.

It's a Saturday morning cartoon version, very dumb (this is clearly aimed at kids) but ultimately enjoyable if you like this kind of thing...and i do (though not Transformers, they just angry me more then entertain) plus it's the second film in a week i've seen with a Gundam in it, even if it's not a real one.

Haysey_Draws
03-26-2018, 02:20 AM
Also, while the ending flagrantly tries to set up a trilogy...

Pacific Rim: Uprising is set to win its opening weekend.
Pacific Rim: Uprising earned $10.4 million from 3,708 locations on Friday and $28 million in its opening weekend. That's up from the initial $25 million projections, but still significantly lower than the $37 million earned by the first Pacific Rim in 2013. Considering the first film's sequel prospects were touch and go, the lower opening for Uprising does not bode well for the franchise's future.

Chances are they're hoping for the china box office to save this like the first...

hellospaceboy
03-26-2018, 09:44 AM
I went in with very low expectation, since it's getting really negative reviews...

I really liked it!!!

It was fun, entertaining, not nearly as dumb as I feared (It wasn't ID4 Resurgence), the charaters were likable, and the few actual kaijus we had were very well designed. I might be an idiot, but I highly recommend this movie!

Findus
03-29-2018, 04:41 AM
I would have liked it more if the pilots' voices weren't so harsh. The sound design could have been much less grating if there were no effects for their voices, or perhaps a deeper tone. Instead, it was like a shrill walkie-talkie. I went to an IMAX 2D showing, so the louder volume made listening to the pilots talk even more unbearable. Other than that big gripe, I liked it. At the end, I wish Pentecost would have broken the fourth wall. He should have said what they were going to do next, then glance into the camera, and then the main musical theme would kick in.

Pillfred
03-30-2018, 01:15 AM
I went to this last night. Was a decent effort. A few editing points i felt were rushed, but overall i thought it was a decent film.

ImTheWiseJanitor
04-05-2018, 09:40 PM
Know what? It was...fine. But I don't think there was a single part of it that wasn't just limp as all hell.

That twist, the rogue jaeger, all of it was severely underutilized, and I feel like any soul this movie could have had was just sucked clean out of it somewhere down the line.

But it was fine. Just fine. I don't even know if I want the third movie to happen or not. :/ That final "post ending title card" cliffhanger was absolutely bland as fuck. This franchise deserves a better sequel. But whatever, gotta pander to the general audience, right? Isn't that what it's all about? Hello? Anyone?

Edit: if I had to quantify it, I'd give it like a solid 5/10.