PDA

View Full Version : Man Of Steel

Conan The Barbarian
12-11-2012, 11:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVu3gS7iJu4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Holy shit. I'm on taptalk so I don't know how to embed a video. Looks cool.

Vertigo
12-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Wasn't particularly pumped about this film as I seem to be the world's only fan of Superman Returns, and am not thrilled about rebooting it again 7 years after what I felt was a decent effort.... but I have to say, that is a spectacular clip. Some stunning images in there, and if there's an award for cutting together a trailer, whoever's responsible for it should be going home with a trophy.

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
12-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Will Christopher Nolan be able to squeeze a decent movie out of Zack Snyder?

We'll find out.

marodi
12-11-2012, 02:44 PM
That looks fantastic. Henry Cavill is absolutely perfect for this role, in my humble opinion. Almost Christopher Reeve perfect. Almost.

This is my most anticipated movie of 2013.

thevoid99
12-11-2012, 03:10 PM
I still liked Superman Returns. This trailer... HELL YEAH!!!!

kdrcraig
12-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Wow that trailer is fucking awesome.

spiralout
12-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Looks awesome. Still waiting for doomsday to make a big screen appearance......but this will do.

Sallos
12-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Looks awesome. Still waiting for doomsday to make a big screen appearance......but this will do.

I like Darkseid better.

aggroculture
12-14-2012, 07:38 AM
This reboot is old news already. I'm pumped for the next reboot - coming soon!

Self.Destructive.Pattern
12-14-2012, 08:21 AM
I really enjoyed Superman Returns. I really don't understand why it is made fun of, or even considered a bad movie. It is one of the best superhero films of the decade IMO next to all the crap that has come out lately.

This looks.... good. But I am still not that blown away by it. The effects are the only thing that is grasping me at the moment.

kdrcraig
12-14-2012, 10:15 AM
I really enjoyed Superman Returns. I really don't understand why it is made fun of, or even considered a bad movie. It is one of the best superhero films of the decade IMO next to all the crap that has come out lately.

I like Superman Returns as well, never understood why everyone hates on it. I watch it every now and then.

Conan The Barbarian
12-14-2012, 10:33 AM
My beef with that movie was the story.

Routh and Spacy did great in their roles.

Broadbent
12-14-2012, 03:44 PM
My beef with that movie was the story.

Routh and Spacy did great in their roles.

agreed. Great acting, great special effects, but a boring ass script.

neorev
12-14-2012, 07:02 PM
didn't like Superman Returns at all...
couldn't get through it

bobbie solo
12-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Superman Returns is bad bc its boring, Luthor's plot is uninteresting, and having Luthor as the villain severely limits what Superman can do with his powers. We want to see Superman fuck shit up...he cant do that against humans.

That setpiece at the end where he's on like a big rock or the moon or whatever? borrrrring. I agree that he did a fantastic job as Superman though.

Sallos
12-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Superman Returns is bad bc its boring, Luthor's plot is uninteresting, and having Luthor as the villain severely limits what Superman can do with his powers. We want to see Superman fuck shit up...he cant do that against humans.

That's why luthor is not and never was superman nemesis.

theburningreptile
04-14-2013, 07:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6g2ZSuWyM4

This will be amazing.

thefragile_jake
04-14-2013, 08:28 PM
If this is the start of a viral marketing campaign ala The Dark Knight....I'm super excited.

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
04-15-2013, 04:14 AM
Marketing campaigns are so cool—they make the most awesome movies.

Deadpool
04-15-2013, 11:12 PM
Saw the "message from Zod" spot air on CONAN and Jimmy Kimmel tonight - cool to see it on television. I've still got unreasonably high hopes for this movie. I really, really want it to be good and think it has a pretty solid chance - the casting of Costner and Crowe is especially encouraging.

I also saw the last major trailer in IMAX 3D recently which was a treat.

bobbie solo
04-16-2013, 02:54 AM
Marketing campaigns are so cool—they make the most awesome movies.

president and ceo of the no-fun club over here.

theburningreptile
04-16-2013, 07:12 PM
The Zod message was a countdown to this. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY

Conan The Barbarian
04-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Can't wait. That trailer is great.

thefragile_jake
04-16-2013, 07:42 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/9db9b71144c469463f4fce35370b284b/tumblr_inline_ml0ffuv8831qz4rgp.gif Can't.....control.....emotions.....

hollowed_point
04-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Wow. I was cautiously optimistic before but...damn.
Michael Shannon as Zod looks phenomenal.

marodi
04-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Why can't I see it now??????

edit:the movie I mean. WHY DO I HAVE TO WAIT????

Broadbent
04-16-2013, 08:12 PM
As these trailers come out this is looking more and more like an origins movie, setting up for a sequel or trilogy. I hate when they do that. But as long as we see Superman in costume flying before the 1 hour mark I'll be ok

thevoid99
04-16-2013, 09:58 PM
This just makes me want to hum John Williams' theme.

Conan The Barbarian
04-16-2013, 10:25 PM
As these trailers come out this is looking more and more like an origins movie, setting up for a sequel or trilogy. I hate when they do that. But as long as we see Superman in costume flying before the 1 hour mark I'll be ok

At least Lex Luthor is not the villain again. In fact, it would be nice if they just skipped him, or have him in the background as a non major threat.

Deadpool
04-16-2013, 11:32 PM
That trailer was lovely. I got a little bit emotional.

I truly appreciate the very uncynical, uplifting tone, too. I can only hope the feature itself follows suit. Luckily, it looks to be appropriately serious and modern in the right places as well. I'm curious how this new trailer will go over with one of my old teachers from the Kubert School - he's a total purist and has been bashing the "brooding" tone we've seen 'til now (not to mention Supes' new suit long before there was even a teaser which pissed me off). I think this movie might be coming at the perfect moment, culturally speaking.

dlb
04-17-2013, 02:33 AM
Not a Superman-Fan here, but I love the tone of the trailer and I really like the music towards the end. Does anyone know what it's called? Will it be on the official soundtrack or is it a theme used often like the 28 days after stuff?

kdrcraig
04-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Movie really is looking fantastic, I'll definitely be there opening weekend.

Alexandros
04-17-2013, 05:44 PM
The trailer music is great, I would be happy if that was the main theme. The trailer itself is right on the money as well, don't know why exactly, but it strikes a chord. And I only know Superman from the Christopher Reeve movies.

theburningreptile
04-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Not a Superman-Fan here, but I love the tone of the trailer and I really like the music towards the end. Does anyone know what it's called? Will it be on the official soundtrack or is it a theme used often like the 28 days after stuff? It's original music created by Hans Zimmer. So I'm hoping it's on the soundtrack.

Fixer808
04-18-2013, 04:06 AM
Can't wait for this, and yeah the music is sounding pretty sweet!
And as much as the first 1:30 of the following track is so fucking epic, the fact that Superman Returns used so much from the Christopher Reeve soundtrack really hamstrung that movie (well, that and all the other stuff), making it just kind of a shadow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-vz4Gdtrvc

the casting of Costner... is especially encouraging.
I can't say as I've ever seen this combination of words before... ;)

Deadpool
04-18-2013, 11:28 AM
^ Haha! Not sure I ever imagined myself having those feelings! In all seriousness, he's hitting all the right notes for me as far as Pa Kent is concerned. Much love to Richard Donner, but killing off Pa Kent was always so stupid/redundant to me. I love Pa Kent! He's a rich character.

Hazekiah
04-18-2013, 08:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6g2ZSuWyM4

Pretty cool li'l spot.

Gotta say, though...I kinda feel like I just saw Bane pull a Joker gag on Superman.

theburningreptile
05-22-2013, 10:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdLH7Qy9QSo

Just keeps getting more and more awesome. June 14th cant come soon enough.

thevoid99
05-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Please, let this be good.

Kodiak33
05-22-2013, 01:27 PM
I still think Zack Snyder is an incredible action movie director...he just should not write anymore.

nvr_mind
05-24-2013, 10:50 PM
Agreed. I think I'm one of the few who actually liked Watchmen though. I wanted to like Sucker Punch. It looked good but the story was just friggin weird.

Max Leo
05-26-2013, 03:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsiuIflyVrw
http://24.media.tumblr.com/148922f0cb763e62b86167274ef8454f/tumblr_mnf64uHZVZ1rrkahjo3_400.gif
http://25.media.tumblr.com/f56d99827a6ec8d9deacff1ed5c16d37/tumblr_mnf64uHZVZ1rrkahjo5_400.gif
http://25.media.tumblr.com/a0b201845656d5a840132533e37e29a5/tumblr_mnf64uHZVZ1rrkahjo8_400.gif
http://25.media.tumblr.com/09ea23ad61bb15915bf49111d851d346/tumblr_mnf64uHZVZ1rrkahjo7_400.gif
http://25.media.tumblr.com/58a834efd6cd89ecb107d183d5c30c3a/tumblr_mnf64uHZVZ1rrkahjo2_400.gif
http://i.imgur.com/X5sOeFw.gif
http://i.imgur.com/NHPsBYy.gif

thefragile_jake
06-04-2013, 11:43 PM
Got tickets to an advanced screening to this tomorrow....this is obviously the movie I've been looking forward to for awhile and I can't wait to check it out. I'm kind of shocked the soundtrack hasn't leaked yet, I can remember I had The Dark Knight soundtrack at least a good week and a half or more before the film came out in 2008.

richardp
06-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Saw it last night. It's pretty damn good. Didn't come near the Dark Knight Trilogy for me, but I still enjoyed it. It's also the most restrained work yet from Zach Snyder. There is zero slo-mo shots, almost as if Nolan told him to cut it out and just make a normal movie. Hans Zimmer's score is incredible, probably one of the best parts of it. The way that David S Goyer wrote the screenplay pretty much mimick's Batman Begins' formula of spending the first half of the movie bouncing between present day and flashbacks, to Clark training and then a huge action packed finale. Had a bit of TDKR syndrome though, in the sense that Goyer and Nolan tried to pack WAY too much story into it, so there are parts where it zooms by incredibly fast and you're not allowed to take in what just happened. But like I said, the finale is HUGE. Actually started to get a tad exhausting towards the fourth of fifth battle.

I dug it, though. Oh and if you use your imagination, it won't be hard to figure out who the villain in the sequel will be. There's clues all over the place, in it.

october_midnight
06-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Yeah saw it last night at a screening as well. Pretty much the same sentiments, it had a TDKR vibe all over it, but yeah...definitely awesome.

orestes
06-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Okay, just got out of a free screening and I have to echo what @richardp (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=139) said: it's an enjoyable movie but boy, does it have issues.

*Liked the non-linear origin story
*The opening scenes on Krypton were beautiful if not a bit weird
*Dildo prisons
*Henry Cavill is a handsome, handsome man
*Street Fighter fight scenes, no!
*Faora-Ul is a better villain than Zod
*I like how everyone just cowers while Metropolis get thrashed.
*Also, good luck with the reconstruction. Seriously, the Avengers did less damage to NYC.
*Ugh, just how many fight scenes can this movie have?
*Okay, I'll admit I'm not the biggest geek over Supes but aside from a few instances, SUPERMAN DOES NOT KILL
*The last scene might have redeemed the last act of the movie

richardp
06-13-2013, 11:56 PM
Okay, just got out of a free screening and I have to echo what @richardp (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=139) said: it's an enjoyable movie but boy, does it have issues.

*Liked the non-linear origin story
*The opening scenes on Krypton were beautiful if not a bit weird
*Dildo prisons
*Henry Cavill is a handsome, handsome man
*Street Fighter fight scenes, no!
*Faora-Ul is a better villain than Zod
*I like how everyone just cowers while Metropolis get thrashed.
*Also, good luck with the reconstruction. Seriously, the Avengers did less damage to NYC.
*Ugh, just how many fight scenes can this movie have?
*Okay, I'll admit I'm not the biggest geek over Supes but aside from a few instances, SUPERMAN DOES NOT KILL
*The last scene might have redeemed the last act of the movie

I get what they were going for, with him being desperate enough to save that families lives, but still... I agree completely. That would have been like if in TDK, Batman just kept letting Joker fall to his death and didn't save him. It felt weird seeing Superman kill someone. Like REALLY weird.

thefragile_jake
06-14-2013, 12:20 AM
I get what they were going for, with him being desperate enough to save that families lives, but still... I agree completely. That would have been like if in TDK, Batman just kept letting Joker fall to his death and didn't save him. It felt weird seeing Superman kill someone. Like REALLY weird.

THANK YOU! I'm glad other people here feel the same way I did when I saw that scene.

I saw a sneak peak last week and that scene in particular rubbed A LOT of people the wrong way. I felt the last scene kind of redeemed so misgivings I had as well.

It's good but not great, when it should have been....I can perfectly see why it has a 58% on Rotten Tomatoes.

marodi
06-14-2013, 02:45 PM
I too saw the RT score but it didn't faze me because I more often then not finding myself disagreeing with it but you guys are making me sad because your opinion I trust.

Still seeing it next week though. I so want this to be good and successful...

Deadpool
06-14-2013, 07:07 PM
I really liked it. Sadly, there were people cracking wise THE ENTIRE MOVIE which was beyond obnoxious. It's one thing to laugh inappropriately or whatever, buy when you're AUDIBLY throwing out 'that's what she said'-style bullshit remarks: FUCK YOU. NYC, I love you, but you're bringing me down. The good news is that this gives me an excuse to catch it in IMAX 3D later this week.

Anyway...

"Man of Steel" is definitely not perfect, but it nailed the broad strokes for me.

I related to Kal/Clark/Superman. I got emotional watching him struggle. Massive props to Snyder on the lack of slo-mo, too: "Sucker Punch" was almost unwatchable with its slow-motion, and "Man of Steel" was the total opposite. What a payoff. Seeing Superman fight 2-on-1 w/ Faora and the other Kryptonian was insanely satisfying. Good, fun action is one thing, but the fact that they were able balance that action with some genuine emotion made it incredible -- seeing Supes get MAD and demolish Zod through Kansas for threatening Ma Kent was probably the best part of the movie. That's exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping for.

Also, props for the 100% (?) hand-held camera work. Somehow it was appropriate and not exhausting or distracting.

Now...

Superman killing. It's even more intrinsic to his character than Batman, right? Right. That said, I thought it was earned, and here's why. Zod obviously cornered him morally, and even said "this only ends with one of us dying", but Zod is Kryptonian and not human. Does this make his execution OK? No, but it's definitely symbolic of Superman making that choice of not only siding with humanity but with protecting them. Does Superman killing Zod mean he's gonna kill willy-nilly in future movies? Of course not, but this being an origin movie, I kind of see Zod's death as the turning point for Clark -- he had to arrive at that himself in an experiential way. That scream he lets out (which is amazing, way to go Cavill) was dripping with pain. I read it as "I can never do this again: it doesn't matter if it's kryptonian or human." It was the origin of Superman's 'no killing' rule to me.

EDIT: IGN has a similar view (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/14/hero-worship-the-complexity-of-man-of-steel?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook). The fact that we're even having this conversation speaks to Man of Steel's ballsy-ness. This was certainly more of a re-invention than a reboot, which I appreciate, and as IGN points out, more of a straight sci-fi than a comic/superhero flick. I also like what this article says about setting up a conflict with a certain villain...

onthewall2983
06-16-2013, 09:54 PM
I'm just about 5 hours removed from seeing it, and it's already becoming better in my mind than my initial reaction. I went in with realistic expectations, but with some enthusiasm too. I'd say it met about 75-80% of it. I don't pretend to be any comic book expert, so I just try and go with how my brain and soul process what I see. I did the same with the Nolan Batman movies and was rewarded greatly.

Conan The Barbarian
06-16-2013, 10:29 PM
This movie was fucking awesome.

thelastdisciple
06-16-2013, 10:47 PM
I didn't like the way they did some things, i also didn't like some of the casting choices but that said it was a pretty darn good movie for the most part.

Max Leo
06-16-2013, 11:30 PM
Regarding the "Superman does not kill" problem (SPOILERS OF THE MOVIE, OBVIOUSLY):

You should remember the ending of "Superman II", where Superman and Lois threw both Zod and Ursa into a hole when they had lost their powers and were going to die in the fall. Superman threw a plastic "S" shield from his chest (lol) to kill a powerless Zod who could not hurt anyone else without his powers, that was way worse than killing him by breaking his neck to save a family and millions of humans that Zod would have ultimately murdered if he had been victorious and survived. Even Zod would have probably preferred to be killed like a warrior by a snapped neck after a huge battle than by a lame plastic "S" shield from Superman's chest. XD

In the comics, Superman traveled to a "pocket universe" created by a powerful superbeing, where Earth had been destroyed by Zod and other kryptonians. In that world, Zod had killed Superboy and ruled the planet after murdering most of the human kind, and when Superman went to that universe and fought Zod, he threatened Superman with travelling to his universe and his Earth to do the same, to kill everybody, so Superman decided that he couldn't risk the lives of all the people on his own Earth and executed Zod and the other kryptonians to save billions of humans. After that he chose to not kill again, that's where his "not killing" rule came from in the post-crisis stories, and this is very similar, he will probably try to not kill anymore if he can avoid it.

What else could Superman do? Zod is as powerful as him, he was going to murder a family and after that he would have kept killing many more innocents. Killing him was the only way to definitely stop him, he had no access to the Phantom Zone and no human prison could have stopped Zod, who would have killed all humans if he was imprisoned and later escaped.

Batman doesn't kill The Joker in TDK (stupid decision in a trilogy full of them), but he "doesn't have to save" Ra's Al Ghul in exactly the same situation in BB, and he kills his daughter later without thinking it twice to save Gotham in TDKR. Superman is saving the whole planet and not just a single city.

Both Superman and Batman killed in the early comics, the "not killing" rules were implemented much later because the comics were "stuff for kids" and american children had to learn that killing is not good. But if by not killing a villain you are killing tons of innocents, you are not a hero, you are a fool. How many times has The Joker been caught by Batman and taken to Arkham to later escape and kill many more innocents? How many innocents have died because of the stupid "Batman doesn't kill" rule? In these times, if you want to have a "realistic" story (even with flying aliens) the hero has to do what makes more sense to save innocents, and killing Zod was the right decision, otherwise the risk was too high.

If this story had been real, if you lived in a world where this truly happened and you knew that Superman could have killed Zod but he didn't do it because of some stupid rule and just because of that Zod had killed most of the human kind, you all would have said that he was an idiot and as guilty as Zod.

If a murderer is in a killing spree and a cop could have killed him with just a simple gunshot but he didn't do it because he wanted to "do the right thing" arresting him and because of this the murderer killed many other innocents later because of his bad decision, most of you would have said that the cop should have just shot him when he had the chance instead of risking more innocents lives. You would have thought this even if the murderer toke only one more innocent life, now think about a similar situation with millions of innocent lives at risk.

In the US you sadly have those kind of batshit crazy assholes with access to all kinds of guns who go to a campus or a school to kill random innocents, and you all would agree that this kind of people should be stopped with lethal force before they had the chance to kill anymore, and this is a similar situation (I know the difference between real life and a comic book movie, but I hope you get my point and no one feels offended by the comparison), Zod is in the middle of Metropolis causing the death of thousands of innocents and threatening the whole human kind, he is going to kill a family in front of Superman's eyes, he is as strong as Superman, so even if Superman wanted to move Zod and take him away flying, Zod could be strong enough to resist and not be moved or to just kill the family anyway with just looking at them even if he was moved by Supes, so Superman decided to kill him before those innocents were murdered, and even if he could have saved them without killing Zod, he then realizes that Zod will keep killing and threatening more innocents just to hurt him and win the fight, and if Zod wins he will just kill everybody, Superman just can't tolerate this or otherwise he would be condemning the whole planet.

Conan The Barbarian
06-16-2013, 11:53 PM
Funny how something like this gets blown way out of proportion.

Tums206_BFY
06-17-2013, 12:47 AM
Thought the movie was awesome! Sure the story line was a bit choppy in some parts but didn't bother me. Pretty bad ass was not disappointed!

I went with a good buddy of mine who is a huge Superman fan, comic books, Smallville, and movies, and since we saw the first trailer last year has been putting this movie down. I don't think I have ever seen him geeking out so much and we have been to tons of movies together. He loved it!

thelastdisciple
06-17-2013, 10:27 AM
I noticed a couple actors from the Smallville show in the movie too.

JessicaSarahS
06-17-2013, 11:48 AM
I didn't care for the handheld camerawork. That + 3D and sitting close= :X The movie itself was decent. It was much better than than the other more recent movies. And I liked the LexCorp stuff casually thrown about.

ltrandazzo
06-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Re: Superman doesn't kill -

Superman also killed Zod in the comics back in the day when he executed him and two other Kryptonian criminals with a kryptonite death sentence. He also exiled himself after doing it so there's that piece of it as well. He wasn't happy about it then, and he certainly didn't just smile and walk away when he did it in this movie as well. Sometimes our heroes kill. Batman is the only one who holds himself to a code.

ninedead
06-20-2013, 12:05 AM
does anyone know if this is going to be a trilogy or not?

onthewall2983
06-20-2013, 12:22 AM
I think it'll depend if/when WB can get a Justice League movie rolling.

Wretchedest
06-20-2013, 01:12 AM
HOW DID THEY FUCK THIS UP SO BAD??? FUCK YOU ZACK SNYDER!!!!

What a painfully boring movie. It was like shitty 80s sci-fi. Forget the "does superman kill?" argument. Does Superman have a FUCKING CHARACTER? Is there some reason we should give a FUCK about this guy? Is there some reason that he is the way he is? Does he ever say anything meaningful or interesting?

The writing in this was just god awful. Like from the bottom up. I don't even know where to start. how about this:

Superman Returns > Man of Steel.

Easily.

I will say that the action scenes in the second half were spectacular. That's exactly what Superman needed. But you know what else Superman needs? Character development Some kind of personality. A reason for me to care about him. Decent pacing, god the pacing in this movie was shit. Zack Snyder with his total lack of restraint....

A real shame, because those action scenes were nice, at least.

kdrcraig
06-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Saw this today and thought it was pretty cool, not as bad ass as I was hoping but I enjoyed it. I didn't really dig Michael Shannon though. The action scenes were pretty awesome and the killing didn't bother me, he didn't really have a choice.

Conan The Barbarian
06-22-2013, 11:36 PM
HOW DID THEY FUCK THIS UP SO BAD??? FUCK YOU ZACK SNYDER!!!!

What a painfully boring movie. It was like shitty 80s sci-fi. Forget the "does superman kill?" argument. Does Superman have a FUCKING CHARACTER? Is there some reason we should give a FUCK about this guy? Is there some reason that he is the way he is? Does he ever say anything meaningful or interesting?

The writing in this was just god awful. Like from the bottom up. I don't even know where to start. how about this:

Superman Returns > Man of Steel.

Easily.

I will say that the action scenes in the second half were spectacular. That's exactly what Superman needed. But you know what else Superman needs? Character development Some kind of personality. A reason for me to care about him. Decent pacing, god the pacing in this movie was shit. Zack Snyder with his total lack of restraint....

A real shame, because those action scenes were nice, at least.

Blasphema!!!

Jk. This movie wasnt for everyone. I completely disagree with your opinion on it, but that is your opinion on it and that is OK

And this movie worse than superman returns?

Pass me that shit you are smoking.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Wretchedest
06-23-2013, 01:30 AM
I know, I know. Im the only person in the world who liked it. I liked the conflict and the character interelations... i found then very fascinating. I really dug the concept behind it...

october_midnight
06-23-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm sort of in your boat...in that I didn't mind Superman Returns. Felt that Man of Steel was superior, but I didn't hate on Returns. Didn't feel Spacey as Luthor but everything else was pretty decent.

Space Suicide
06-23-2013, 01:11 PM
I have zero interest in this and I am not a Superman fan but I'm sure the pacing and development is off because this is an origin movie.

cashpiles (closed)
06-23-2013, 01:12 PM
Zack Snyder really upped his game with this one. The fighting sequences, along with how Superman, Zod and his minions moved was spot on. The movie did lack character development... Like it felt we never got to spend enough time with Zod or Superman... Like this movie could have actually been an hour longer. The acting was solid and all the actors delivered. There were several moments in the movie where I was totally engaged and hyped up. Man of Steel was this close to being epic..... There was just something missing. It was epic though... Just not Matrix 1 epic

[parasite]
06-23-2013, 02:39 PM
i really hated it! it was too glitzy for me, i was really looking forward to it too

R-Dot-Yung
06-23-2013, 08:21 PM
This movie was 2 hours of explosions. It was the most boring thing I've ever seen.

sentient02970
06-23-2013, 11:59 PM
I thought on its own this film stands up. To me it was about a man seeking identity and each of his actions were part of that discovery. Shannon was great and its always a treat to see Diane Lane. I like that Zod wasn't a pure monster either. He had his drive and ambition although clouded. I just came away feeling like I saw a superb superhero action film.

cahernandez
06-28-2013, 11:03 AM
This movie was 2 hours of explosions. It was the most boring thing I've ever seen.

Absolutely agree with this. Maybe not 2 hours of explosions, but more like 1 hour of senseless explosions. The fights at the end seemed to drag on forever. No sense of real danger...I didn't feel like anything valuable was at stake during the Street Fighter type fights.

And I thought Zod was a boring, one-dimensional villain. No character to him whatsoever, like a cartoon-ish villain. Henry Cavill did good as Superman BUT there's only so much he can do with a bad script.

And the biggest plot hole, and I don't know how you all feel about this because it's part of the Superman mythology/comic book story, but I thought it was really REALLY stupid that Zod and his followers are sent to the Phantom zone when the leaders of Krypton knew that the planet was about to be destroyed anyways. Why not let them stay in the planet to die with everyone else? Again...I saw this and kind of tuned out of the movie. I don't think there was any logic whatsoever behind that move.

Conan The Barbarian
06-28-2013, 11:28 AM
They didn't believe in what had jar el had to say about the planets core degrading

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

marodi
06-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Everyone has summed up one way or another what I believe is right and wrong with this movie so I'll keep this short: I saw it, I liked it but it didn't meet my expectations. Then again, maybe my expectations were too great.

I still wish they'll do a sequel, mainly because of Henry Cavill. He is a great actor who deserves his time in the limelight. And he's not bad to look at.

onthewall2983
06-28-2013, 12:27 PM
I look at it this way, they can use the sequel to right as much as they can that maybe didn't come off so well the first time around. And someone online suggested this, it was so perfect that if by some miracle it does happen I will see this first day. Tom Cruise as Luthor.

Stereo75
06-28-2013, 12:55 PM
This is fucking awesome:http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/06/28/radio-controlled-superman

theburningreptile
07-07-2013, 09:35 AM
I finally got to see Man of Steel yesterday and even though it didn't live up to my expectations i still really liked it. It has also sparked an interest in all things Superman for me. First thing im going to get is the anthology set. Then then rest of Smallville and work my way down. In other words: Collect all the Superman things. :D Where's a good place to start collecting the comics though?

orestes
07-07-2013, 10:38 AM
All Star Superman and Birthright are two comics I would recommend.

Christo
08-01-2013, 12:55 PM
I still think Superman Returns is possibly one of the worst films ever created. Ever.

I really really enjoyed this however. I haven't enjoyed a superhero film for ages. The Dark Knight Rises was a disappointment (with the exception of the amazing Hathaway performance). The Amazing Spider-Man was atrocious. Thor comes pretty close to Superman Returns in terms of awfulness. Iron Man 3 was a snooze fest and The Avengers was average at best. Went in expecting it to be absolutely awful and came out very pleasantly surprised.

ltrandazzo
08-01-2013, 10:12 PM
You... like something?

bobbie solo
08-01-2013, 10:34 PM
I still think Superman Returns is possibly one of the worst films ever created. Ever.

I really really enjoyed this however. I haven't enjoyed a superhero film for ages. The Dark Knight Rises was a disappointment (with the exception of the amazing Hathaway performance). The Amazing Spider-Man was atrocious. Thor comes pretty close to Superman Returns in terms of awfulness. Iron Man 3 was a snooze fest and The Avengers was average at best. Went in expecting it to be absolutely awful and came out very pleasantly surprised.

what??? i can't follow your POV at all . you are totally all over the place.

Christo
08-02-2013, 04:34 AM
what??? i can't follow your POV at all . you are totally all over the place.
Yeah that wasn't very sensical. In clarification, Man of Steel was one of the very few Superhero movies I've enjoyed in the last decade or so.

onthewall2983
08-14-2013, 06:59 PM
“Give me a call,” he says with a grin. And to hear Cranston tell it, he’s already given some thought as to getting into Luthor’s psyche. “I like Lex Luthor. I think he’s misunderstood. He’s a loveable, sweet man,” Cranston says. (http://www.metro.us/newyork/entertainment/2013/08/11/bryan-cranston-considers-playing-lex-luthor/)...............

Janus3659
08-27-2013, 02:55 AM
So, I'm going to jump back to Man of Steel and live in blissfully-ignorant-of-Ben-Affleck land, mostly because it's nice to geek out. I realize I'm overthinking this... but what's the fun in watching a comic book movie without getting detailed about it.

I really enjoyed Man of Steel. I'm not a huge Superman fan, but I've read some of the comics and love the DC Universe. I don't really get the hatred. I've read some of the thread but locally speaking, most people didn't enjoy the movie. Most of the arguments don't really make a whole lot of sense to me either. "They totally wrecked Metropolis!!" Yeah, that happens in the comics... more than it should. Good job security in the DC Universe is Metropolis Construction Worker. Doomsday, Battle for Metropolis, to name a couple of story arcs, involve mass destruction of Metropolis. "He didn't even try to move the battle away from the city." Yeah, because Zod and company seem like the type to just follow him away from the civilians. Sure, they hadn't acclimated to the environment - doesn't mean three on one is an easy fight for him there. "I just didn't care about the character(s)" ... um, why not? Maybe my familiarity with the characters, etc. hinders me on this one. I felt like all of the performances in the movie were pretty spot on. Most of the changes from the source material didn't really bother me, oddly. The only real complaint I have is the relationship between Lois and Superman seemed almost random. Truthfully, I'm kinda sick of Superman's origin story. This felt like a really fresh take on the whole thing. And that is probably why I like the movie and a lot of people do not... but I'm just guessing, obviously. I get a lot of *shrug* "Just didn't like it".

Now, the sequel is sounding like a fucking disaster... for so many reasons.

GulDukat
01-14-2015, 06:09 AM
Hated this movie. Super lame story, full of plot holes and Cavill has as much personality as a plank of wood. Just as bad or maybe even worse than Superman Returns. I have zero enthusiasm for the new Batman-Superman film.