PDA

View Full Version : Ender's Game - First movie still released!!

NotoriousTIMP
12-05-2012, 03:30 PM
I had no idea that Hollywood was making this into a movie!!! Thanks to Reddit, I saw that the first official movie still has been released!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/DF7CA9A5-F22C-44C5-94C4-B48328369F19-9927-000008DBED9A6504.jpg

http://www.endersansible.com/

Who else here has read the series? I remember being in 7th or 8th grade and I plowed through the first three books. The story line was so engrossing and my imagination ran wild while reading book 1. Man, this has sparked my interests so much that I might have to re-read the series! :)

Leviathant
12-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Pretty cool book, horrible human being of an author. And definitely stop after the third book.

DVYDRNS
12-05-2012, 04:31 PM
everyone who ever talked about this book was a total asshat. so i never payed attention to it. should I?

Leviathant
12-05-2012, 05:04 PM
everyone who ever talked about this book was a total asshat. so i never payed attention to it. should I?

It's fucking great when you're in 8th grade.

Jinsai
12-05-2012, 05:05 PM

The first book is really fun, but I'd say that a big part of the appeal is geared towards a younger audience. I first read it when I was 14 and thought it was great, but when I tried to pick it back up and read it again recently, the writing style bugged me, the characters came across as wooden and 2 dimensional, and none of the themes resonated with me like they did when I was younger. It could still be an entertaining movie though.

Who knows. I'd still recommend it to someone who hasn't read it. It's at least entertaining and it goes by fast. But yeah, as has been said already, Orson Scott Card is kind of a shit. Or at least, from an interview I read with him, he seemed like a bitter grumpy homophobe with an obnoxious superiority complex.

Sallos
12-06-2012, 06:33 AM
Even when i was a little kid i never saw the appeal in kids/teens hero's movies. Hated karete kid would've hated spy kids, 14yo beating the crap out of older people just ins't funny.

sheepdean
12-06-2012, 07:21 AM
This can only work as an animated film, with all the kids being voiced by adults with actual training. Children should be seen and not heard in films. #grouch

I love most of the books (the spin off series about Bean is better than Ender's nonsensical story), so will still see this, but I have very, very low expectations.

hellospaceboy
12-06-2012, 08:52 AM
Ender's Game is considered a classic, but I thought that Speaker for the Dead (the second book in the series) was stronger. My main problem with the series as a whole is that it kept going, just because it was a hit. There's like a hundred of those freaking Ender books by now, and it wasn't THAT great.

And it bothers me that the author is suck a douche bag.

Back to the movie news, I am excited to see this finally made, I hope they won't butcher it.

Jinsai
12-06-2012, 04:54 PM
well, even if you do have fond feelings for the book, this is being directed by the guy who did that terrible Wolverine movie. There is not a chance in hell that this is going to be good.

thevoid99
12-06-2012, 08:55 PM
I don't think X-Men Origins: Wolverine was entirely Gavin Hood's fault. There were a lot of people involved with the script and there was a lot of studio interference. Especially with the multiple endings that really ruined the film. Still, I'm not confident about Hood's involvement with this film.

Bluegirl
12-07-2012, 06:58 PM
I read the book for the first time not to long ago because a friend had read it and was excited about the movie. I thought it was good for a kids book but not to the point that I would be interested in reading more about the world or the characters. I had not realized it was a series until now.
My problem with a movie is that the kids come off like little adults with adult responsibilities so you would need a bunch of good kid actors and that would be hard to come by.

NotoriousTIMP
03-25-2013, 03:01 PM
Official movie poster is released

http://i.imgur.com/xR07nYk.jpg

NotoriousTIMP
05-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Movie trailer has been released!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vP0cUBi4hwE

sheepdean
05-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

This might be good
not sure
kids suck as actors
hopefully it will be good
please be good
please

thevoid99
05-07-2013, 06:52 PM
I'm going to give Gavin Hood one more chance. I'm aware that X-Men Origins: Wolverine wasn't entirely his fault as it got tampered by the studio and it was a fucking mess. If this film sucks, I'm blacklisting him... for life.

littlemonkey613
05-07-2013, 07:46 PM
kids suck as actors

Butterfield and Stienfeld are pretty fantastic child actors. (especially Stienfeld). She has already done an oscar caliber performance.

sheepdean
05-07-2013, 07:48 PM
I stand by my position.

Yes, there are some good child actors, but remember how many kids are in this book. No way can they all be good (Harry Potter's cast was shit in the first couple of films and y'all know it)

theimage13
05-07-2013, 08:13 PM

The book wasn't even recommended to me until my early or mid 20s. Read it in a couple days. I don't regret it, but my interest in the movie only goes as far as "I'll get it from the library when the DVD/BD version comes out".

hellospaceboy
05-07-2013, 10:51 PM
the trailer looks great, I'm very excited!

Jinsai
05-07-2013, 11:02 PM
I'm going to give Gavin Hood one more chance. I'm aware that X-Men Origins: Wolverine wasn't entirely his fault as it got tampered by the studio and it was a fucking mess. If this film sucks, I'm blacklisting him... for life.

the Wolverine movie was terrible for a lot of reasons. There was literally nothing good about that film. It is one of the worst pieces of shit I've ever sat through. When all's said and done, the studio and the executives can only screw a movie up so much. If the guy wasn't a completely awful filmmaker, there'd have been SOMETHING good to say about that movie. I'd like to be proven wrong, because I can see Ender's Game being a really fun movie. I'm just not very optimistic, even if the trailer is pretty cool. I've learned to never trust a trailer.

thevoid99
05-07-2013, 11:36 PM
The Wolverine film infuriated me. I thought Transformers 2 was going to be the worst film of that year. Well, it was close but X-Men Origins: Wolverine just topped it with so many bad things. The multiple endings, trying to play up Wolverine's origin story, and all of that shit. It pissed me off to no end.

Ender's Game might be decent as it has a good cast but if it sucks. Hood is in my shitlist.

Jinsai
11-12-2013, 12:05 AM
so.... I guess this movie sucks so much we're not going to even talk about it?

theimage13
11-12-2013, 07:31 AM
so.... I guess this movie sucks so much we're not going to even talk about it?

Judging by Facebook...yes.

peter
11-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Saw this movie yesterday, got in for free. It is utterly, depressingly boring.

For once, I am actually glad to not have read the book. I have heard so much about Ender's Game, about the huge fanbase that build up over the years, and about the anticipation of this movie, i cannot imagint the disappointment I would have felt, had I done so.

Harrison Ford looks more clueless than a donkey at a basketball game. The dialgues are cringe-worthy almost through the whole movie. There are plot holes so deep, Prometheus seems well written in comparison. Seriously, out of curtesy I sat through it, but I had a really hard time not laughing out loud because of the ridiculousness of many scenes.

hellospaceboy
11-13-2013, 06:54 PM
^^^

I read the novel many times growing up, and I really enjoyed the movie!

I actually heard that those who were familiar with the story liked it more than those who walked in as virgins. I expected something slow-burning and the things I was most worried about (based on the terrible advertising campaign) were actually handled really well.

The one thing I'll give you guys is the sometimes cringe-worthy dialog, especially the stuff that came out of Harrison Ford's mouth.

DVYDRNS
11-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Saw the movie. It was alright. Glad I didn't spend time on the book. Would have lost interest probably.