PDA

View Full Version : XCOM: Enemy Unknown

darktemplar007
11-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Anyone else played this (or the earlier X-Com titles)?

This game is nuts. I just lost on Normal, with Ironman active (no reloads, everything is permanent) after having a massive squad wipe in a mission that killed all my ranked soldiers. I proceeded to play the next mission with my two remaining officers and recruits trying to rescue a VIP who got popped right in the head after we found him. 10 countries pulled out of funding, game over.

And I loved every second of it. I haven't had this much fun with brutal death and permanence since Dark Souls. I am so happy a game like this has been released in 2012; the genre has been dead and gone save for a few games (like Valkyria Chronicles and the Disgaea games), and I forgot how much I missed the turn based RPGish Strategy games. This hits the spot.

I have no complaints I can think of. I can say that in the measly ten hours I have pumped into it I have cared more about my personality-less soldiers and their horrible gruesome deaths than I did of any character in any other game in recent memory. It has made me more stoked about a video game, and the time I get to play it, than any other game I have played recently.

It's so. fucking. good.