PDA

View Full Version : Eric Powell & David Fincher's THE GOON

thelastdisciple
10-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Mobsters. Zombies. Killer robots. Demon priests. Sound like your typical animated film? Didn't think so... now let's get it made!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/624061548/the-goon-movie-lets-kickstart-this-sucker (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/624061548/the-goon-movie-lets-kickstart-this-sucker)

I've been wanting this film SO BADLY ever since i saw the concept trailers and CG artwork done up to pitch the idea to Hollywood. After seeing those concepts and hearing Clancy Brown and Paul Giamatti as the voices of The Goon and his sidekick Franky NOBODY could be more perfect and the vision that Blur Studios have for it is just phenomenal.

This film has been struggling to get funded for a few years now, typical Hollywood wouldn't get behind an animated film that wasn't a sequel or something that featured a Kung-Fu Panda.....

So now it's up to us to KICKSTART this mother fucker. Let's do it!

Here's the concept trailer.

http://youtu.be/zr_Ta6NS3-g

sa_nick
10-13-2012, 03:40 AM
That whole kickstarter campaign they have going for this seems a little lame. They've had no luck getting funding from Hollywood so they want $400,000 from fans to make a more elaborate pitch to show Hollywood? I doubt a more detailed showing of what the film will be can change any exec's mind. They obviously have their reason for not funding this already (it simply wont make much money), I don't see how a complete story reel will solve anything. It seems like a waste of $400k.

thelastdisciple
10-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Yeah it still kinda sucks that they'll STILL have to convince the suits to back the film and that this isn't set up for funds going directly toward the movie. I mean sure 35 million+ is a bit much to ask for on a site like that but i don't think it's completely impossible, look at what Matt Inman did with his Nikola Tesla project he sure raked it all in.

What i don't get is what the hell is costing so much? why are animations always so expensive? i get marketing and all that, distribution etc. but to make the film... there's no location or filming crew that has to be paid, no need for much of what you would need to do a live action film, just have to pay the animators and the voice actors....(obviously there's a bit more to it than that given the 15 minute long ending credits on every animated film ever) if anything it should be cheaper to make. Blur Studios is already on board to make the film and they already committed to the movie with that little concept trailer, obviously they want to put food on the table what I'm curious about is how much did THAT cost? why not just keep going...what's wrong with the graphics there that couldn't be in a feature length film?

thelastdisciple
10-18-2012, 06:45 PM
I don't mean to double post, but i feel a little honest bump is appropriate in order to make sure this info is seen.

Some comments/answers/insight via Blur Studio

"WHY KICKSTARTER?"
We've been trying for years to get this film made--story meetings, developing the script, doing animation tests, studio pitch meetings, development art, etc. etc. And we haven't gotten the job done.
During that time KICKSTARTER came on the scene in a big way and the hardcore fans of the Goon began petitioning Eric for years to let them help through a Kickstarter campaign.
Honestly we were dubious--first of all we need 35M to make the film at the level we want to make it and it deserves--and that kind of funding isn't what Kickstarter is structured for. But fans kept asking Eric.... and Eric kept asking us.... and we kept failing to get the job done through traditional channels.
Finally we came up with--we hope--a way that we can create something that will move the ball forward and do it at a cost that falls within the realm of what we could reasonably ask the fans for via Kickstarter. We know it would be GREAT if it was the finished film, but it's just not possible, but we believe this can really move the needle.
Not just having something that we can sit studio execs in front of to watch, but also a grand gesture of support for the fans for the project. Hollywood feels warm and fuzzy when they KNOW there's an audience for material--this will help prove that.

"WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU EXCEED THE GOAL"
We should be so lucky! But if we were we would continue development:
More production Design: We've only begun to scratch the surface on all the development art and production design. We would continue to flesh out the design of the characters and the world.
3d Animatic: We'd transition the storyreel into a full 3D animatic--basically making a version of the film with simplified 3d assets that further informs the timing, the camera work and the animation. Creating a 3d animated film is a process which hopefully makes the film clearer at every step.
Animation tests: We'd love to do more examples of what the finished film will look like. The tests we did were designed to show the relationship between Goon and Frankie--what we think is the heart of the film. But we would LOVE to do a more action-centric piece, something with a little good old-fashioned knuckle busting zombie action.

"DAVID FINCHER IS A RICH HOLLYWOOD DIRECTOR! HOW DARE YOU ASK ME TO GIVE HIM MONEY--HE SHOULD PUT UP THE MONEY HIMSELF!"
I think I'd ask that question myself if I didn't work in this crazy industry and have some small inkling of how shit gets made.
First of all Fincher and Blur have spent over half a million of our own money already trying to get THE GOON off the ground in the "traditional way". High quality CGI animation, talent, script, option, development art ect. are not cheap at feature film level. So far that's ALL have been out of our pockets and so far that hasn't worked--lots of interest, lots of meetings but no film.
Could we put more of our own money--of course we could (and will). Would that alone be enough to convince a studio? I doubt it-- because it hasn't worked so far.
But engaging the fans, getting the backing of the community and seeing a groundswell of support DOES have an effect on how viable the project looks to Hollywood and MIGHT get the full film funded. They'll see there's a fanbase willing to show support in a very concrete way.
Hollywood is FILLED with the "Vanity Projects" of successful movie stars and producers. It really is NOT as easy to get a film made no matter WHO you are. The more momentum we can build the better our opportunity of making it through the clutter of the competition and we believe giving the FANS a VOICE in the process will be a HUGE help.

"400k SEEMS LIKE A %$&*LOAD OF MONEY!!"
We certainly understand how some folks might view it that way--especially when there are plenty of Kickstarter projects asking for a few thousand bucks and making whole films with it.
But we plan to make a Goon film that can compete with PIXAR quality animated films and--unfortunately--that kind of polish takes time and money. It takes the best artists--who are not going to work for free or come cheap--and it takes a fair amount of infrastructure to manage the process. Top quality animated films spend MILLIONS on developing the story reel and though we we plan to be incredibly efficient--it's still an expensive proposition.
And Blur/Fincher will no doubt still be kicking in even more money to get it finished. This may be OUR dream project but others won't work for free. This isn't just slapping some drawings together, it's working and re-working the story. And remember it has to be AMAZING--if it looks like shit or half-baked no studio is going to give us 35M to finish the film.
And lastly don't forget taxes, amazon fees and the cost of making/shipping the prizes. All take away cash from what we can spend on the storyreel itself. Not griping about that--just saying it needs to be factored in.

"WHY CAN'T WE SEE THE FINISHED PRODUCT?"
That is an excellent question. The answer is that we believe having the whole film online would cause serious issues with any studio who wants to back the project. Less incentive to see the final film and jokes get stale with repeated viewing.
We also still believe in having the audience NOT know the whole story of the film when the sit down in the theatre--I'm not a fan of trailers giving away the whole story and seeing the reel would give away EVERYTHING. If you're a fan of the comic you'll have an inside line but for the 99% of the audience who've never read the comic this should be a surprise.
BUT... it's a great point and we need to explore it. Perhaps there is a way to show parts of the story reel or perhaps the opening act. We're going to work out some kind of strategy for that and then update folks.
We're also looking into what would be involved in doing a digital download of the whole film after it's theatrical run. Quite honestly we simply don't know and it's a difficult question to answer with all the various legal permutations of a studio deal. We don't want to promise something we can't deliver and we're trying to get more information.

"Why no R rating?"
Because we don't need it--the comic doesn't have a lot of sex in it and the language isn't sufficiently foul to earn an R rating--FUCK is the word that gets you in trouble and you're only allowed ONE and still qualify for pg13.
As for the VIOLENCE--well, you get get away with a lot more in animation than in live action and the majority of it will be against supernatural creatures and the undead. I don't expect we'll have to do much in the way of censoring and PG-13 will bring the film to a MUCH wider audience. When I was 14yrs old I would have been first in line for this!

- Tim Miller

sa_nick
10-19-2012, 04:42 AM
"But we plan to make a Goon film that can compete with PIXAR quality animated films"

I think that's their problem. They want to make an extremely high quality film that is just way out of their budget. Pixar films reach a huge freakin audience, Goon is a niche film, even 10's of millions of dollars in advertising wont get the masses to come see it.

"so far that hasn't worked--lots of interest, lots of meetings but no film."

Again, it just seems like the studio's/investors all know this thing wont sell tickets. I'm amazed Kickstarter haven't taken down this project, something about it just seems off, even with Finchers name attached. They havent even said they'll release the finished story reel to the backers/public.

thelastdisciple
10-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Yeah honestly they don't need to aim that high quality wise.

The animation in the concept trailers is perfect, i wish they'd just stick with that.

Here's an interview on Attack of the Show: http://www.g4tv.com/videos/61220/why-you-should-donate-to-the-goon-kickstarter-campaign/

thelastdisciple
10-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Today is a big milestone, Goon Backers... we're officially HALFWAY through our funding period! Your support have been AMAZING! We realize "The Goon" is not your typical Kickstarter and one of the common concerns has been "why can't we see the finished story reel?" As we tried to explain, it'd be very damaging to the pitch campaign if copies of "The Goon"' movie's prototype were floating around the internet. BUT we value your support above everything, and we think we have a solution...
"The Goon" Kickstarter is VERY excited to announce a special, backer-only SCREENING NIGHT of the finished Goon movie STORY REEL! Whether you've donated $1 or $1000 you're invited to attend this very special, ONE-NIGHT ONLY Los Angeles premiere. Details will follow in the months to come, but you'll have plenty of advance notice on the date/venue. (RSVP will be required so we can anticipate attendance) There's no admission charge, get here ANY way you can and we'll have your SEAT ready for you!!! Oh, and one other little detail... it'll be HOSTED by ERIC POWELL himself!!!
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/projects/244813/posts/336590/image-174726-full.jpg?1351271900

EDIT:
Blur’s Tim Miller Responds To “The Goon” Kickstarter Controversy

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-commentary/blurs-tim-miller-responds-to-the-goon-kickstarter-controversy-72155.html

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/projects/244813/posts/343884/image-178433-full.jpg?1352250863