PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln

PooPooMeowChow
09-08-2012, 03:49 PM
This is going to be amazing. http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2012/08/day-lewis-as-lincoln1-610x789.jpg
Finally has a release date. November 9, 2012 right after the election. For cast and other things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_(2012_film)

Self.Destructive.Pattern
09-09-2012, 12:03 AM
Yea, I cannot wait for a trailer! Great cast as well.

october_midnight
09-09-2012, 12:30 AM
Looks great. Daniel's likeness to Abe is ridiculous.

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
09-09-2012, 03:30 AM
Hope he gets the voice right. And by right, I mean I hope he accurately represents voice as being kind of shrill, which is the character we know of his voice from the words of those who listened to him.

joplinpicasso
09-09-2012, 09:01 AM
There Will Be Lincoln.

Dra508
09-09-2012, 09:12 AM
Hope he gets the voice right. And by right, I mean I hope he accurately represents voice as being kind of shrill, which is the character we know of his voice from the words of those who listened to him.Your comment about Lincoln's voice piqued my interest.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/Ask-an-Expert-What-Did-Abraham-Lincolns-Voice-Sound-Like.html

I too, am really looking forward to this film. The cast is totally stacked.

Trailer out Thursday:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/clvdadadf2erqubh78k729joqck

theruiner
09-10-2012, 07:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqXiUdoKUVY&feature=player_embedded

onthewall2983
09-13-2012, 06:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiSAbAuLhqs&feature=player_embedded#!

PooPooMeowChow
09-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Looks good.
I'm not sure why but I hate Spielberg's trailers. Whether it's that it fades to black almost 20 times or the piano Spielberg uses in every one of his serious movies.
That trailer doesn't get me excited. but I know it will be good.

Hazekiah
09-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Your comment about Lincoln's voice piqued my interest.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/Ask-an-Expert-What-Did-Abraham-Lincolns-Voice-Sound-Like.html

Thanks for that link! Pretty interesting stuff and now that we have a real trailer it sounds like he's NAILED it.

I mean, as if anything else was to be expected.

aggroculture
09-14-2012, 09:14 PM
I have no interest in this film. However I am glad it features no fucking vampires.

Collin
09-15-2012, 12:33 AM
I'm sure it's probably historically accurate, and i have a lot of faith in DDL, but man, his voice sounded terrible to me in that trailer, totally weak. Obviously i'll reserve full judgement til I see the full film, but isnt it a bit odd that Lincoln only has two lines in the whole trailer? it's like the editor knew it sounded bad.

Dra508
09-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Whether it's that it fades to black almost 20 times or the piano Spielberg uses in every one of his serious movies.
Yes, this a thousand times. The fade to black and back is so f'ing distracting.

onthewall2983
10-04-2012, 07:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F_PfTl63qQQ

Alexandros
01-29-2013, 03:26 AM
For a film that focuses on the frantic political maneuvering happening within the space of one month, I thought it was pretty interesting and well-made. I enjoyed all of the performances (and I have to say I was really happy to see James Spader play a role very unlike anything I remember him in, and pulling it off with flying colours). It's a very calm film, for lack of a better term. Despite the significance of the matter in the historical context, it is relatively low-key, which works in its favour in my opinion. It's easy to get overly dramatic when dealing with events like these and I think Spielberg manages to avoid that, which kind of makes the film seem more realistic I think.

Conrad Lienert
01-29-2013, 05:07 PM
I drink your milkshake, John Wilkes Booth. I DRINK IT UP!!!

miss k bee
02-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Worthy and wordy but very good. Daniel Day Lewis has the Oscar in the bag. I enjoyed watching James Spader and Tommy Lee Jones, and Jared Harris looked like his Dad.

neorev
02-06-2013, 07:43 PM
I'm sure it's probably historically accurate, and i have a lot of faith in DDL, but man, his voice sounded terrible to me in that trailer, totally weak. Obviously i'll reserve full judgement til I see the full film, but isnt it a bit odd that Lincoln only has two lines in the whole trailer? it's like the editor knew it sounded bad.

Not 100% apparently...
http://news.moviefone.com/2013/02/06/lincoln-historically-inaccurate-joe-courtney_n_2630017.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl5|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D266620

Hazekiah
04-07-2013, 06:09 PM
So I was watching Lincoln a second time to better appreciate its subtleties and I just spotted a GREAT one I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere.

When Lincoln's killing time and relieving tension while everyone's waiting for the cable bearing news of their assault on Wilmington Harbor, he begins to launch into a story about Ethan Allen as his Secretary of War storms off in a huff about having to hear YET another story from him.

Nonplussed, Lincoln very slowly and deliberately relates the tale of Ethan Allen's dinner at a British lord's home, followed by drinks, as Lincoln himself finishes his own cup of coffee midway through the story.

And this is where it starts to get sneakily hilarious! Bear with me here...

After continuing a while with his coffee cup empty, Lincoln then gets to the part of the story where Ethan Allen is directed to the privy. At which point Lincoln carries on with his story as he finally rises and directs HIMSELF to the coffee pot on the desk across from him for a refill. See what he did there?

And it only gets better!

At EXACTLY the same point where Lincoln cracks a joke about how "relieved, you might say" Ethan Allen was, Lincoln picks up the coffee pot and pours himself a cup at PRECISELY waist height with the spout of the pot DIRECTLY in place of his *ahem* manhood as it trickles audibly into the cup!

O_O

Seriously, go check it out! The symbolism of the scene and the visual substitution of the coffee pot's spout in place of his phallus is utterly unmistakable and undeniable! He even pours the coffee in PERFECT synchronization with Ethan Allen relieving himself within his story! Hahaha, that's good fuckin' stuff, lol.

And I know Lincoln's supposed to have been a gifted orator, so maybe that's just meant to be a demonstration of his skill...but it's DEFINITELY a FANTASTIC demonstration of Daniel Day-Lewis' and Spielberg's OWN storytelling genius at work.

Completely unexpected and hilariously symbolic. So brilliantly subtle yet COMPLETELY obvious in hindsight!

Maybe a little lowbrow for the Lincoln crowd...but then that's part of the scene's charm, especially considering its basic intent of showing Lincoln bonding with the troops and common men.

Didn't want to let that go unappreciated and just thought I'd share.

Check it out, it's positively BRILLIANT!

:D

elevenism
04-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Just watched it for the second time last night. I'm gonna watch it again...fucking amazing in my book.

Hazekiah
08-28-2015, 10:42 PM
So I was watching Lincoln a second time to better appreciate its subtleties and I just spotted a GREAT one I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere.

When Lincoln's killing time and relieving tension while everyone's waiting for the cable bearing news of their assault on Wilmington Harbor, he begins to launch into a story about Ethan Allen as his Secretary of War storms off in a huff about having to hear YET another story from him.

Nonplussed, Lincoln very slowly and deliberately relates the tale of Ethan Allen's dinner at a British lord's home, followed by drinks, as Lincoln himself finishes his own cup of coffee midway through the story.

And this is where it starts to get sneakily hilarious! Bear with me here...

After continuing a while with his coffee cup empty, Lincoln then gets to the part of the story where Ethan Allen is directed to the privy. At which point Lincoln carries on with his story as he finally rises and directs HIMSELF to the coffee pot on the desk across from him for a refill. See what he did there?

And it only gets better!

At EXACTLY the same point where Lincoln cracks a joke about how "relieved, you might say" Ethan Allen was, Lincoln picks up the coffee pot and pours himself a cup at PRECISELY waist height with the spout of the pot DIRECTLY in place of his *ahem* manhood as it trickles audibly into the cup!

O_O

Seriously, go check it out! The symbolism of the scene and the visual substitution of the coffee pot's spout in place of his phallus is utterly unmistakable and undeniable! He even pours the coffee in PERFECT synchronization with Ethan Allen relieving himself within his story! Hahaha, that's good fuckin' stuff, lol.

And I know Lincoln's supposed to have been a gifted orator, so maybe that's just meant to be a demonstration of his skill...but it's DEFINITELY a FANTASTIC demonstration of Daniel Day-Lewis' and Spielberg's OWN storytelling genius at work.

Completely unexpected and hilariously symbolic. So brilliantly subtle yet COMPLETELY obvious in hindsight!

Maybe a little lowbrow for the Lincoln crowd...but then that's part of the scene's charm, especially considering its basic intent of showing Lincoln bonding with the troops and common men.

Didn't want to let that go unappreciated and just thought I'd share.

Check it out, it's positively BRILLIANT!

So I was just watching Lincoln with my gf and her mom and discussing toilet humor vis-à-vis the Transformers franchise and such and OMFG I had to skip back midway through to show them the scene NO ONE EVER NOTICES THE SUBTEXT TO and I even dug up this thread to prove I was ON THAT SHIT since Day One, lol.

Then I noticed no one even responded to it HERE and figured HEY, WHY NOT, lol.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvZqn-YN-gU

Dra508
08-29-2015, 09:50 AM
I need to watch this movie again. I enjoyed it the first time, clearly I missed a few gems.