PDA

View Full Version : Qotsa

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

ad infinitum
11-26-2011, 10:40 AM
...or Queens of the Stone Age if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

http://www.clashmusic.com/files/imagecache/big_node_view/files/images/queens-of-the-stone-age.jpg

According to frequent contributor Alain Johannes, the band has recently been putting in some heavy studio time for their latest project, & says "it’s going to be amazing. I’m really excited about it." No completion/release dates yet, but fingers crossed for 2012. Kind of hoping for a return to their older sound after the slickness of Era Vulgaris, but who knows w/these guys.

terryzen
12-01-2011, 02:38 PM
been waiting for their next one with bated breath. rediscovered their first album a few years ago and thinks it's their best.

bgalbraith
12-01-2011, 02:47 PM
I really enjoy QOTSA. Seeing them open for NIN in Chicago was great

botley
12-01-2011, 03:10 PM
It's been a long wait since Era Vulgaris... although we've had Them Crooked Vultures, Eagles of Death Metal (and now Boots Electric) to fill the gap. I can't wait!

dominik
12-01-2011, 03:14 PM
I thought Alain wasn't in the band anymore?

I want something like Desert Sessions and Spiders and Vinegaroons. Basically something you can listen to while drinking Tequila. No more Era Vulgaris please, although the song with the same name is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phPBjGfqdsA

ad infinitum
12-02-2011, 07:16 PM
been waiting for their next one with bated breath. rediscovered their first album a few years ago and thinks it's their best.
Yes! That makes two of us, though I totally get how most folks prefer SFTD or Rated R.

I thought Alain wasn't in the band anymore?
You're right, he's not. That's why I prefaced it with "longtime contributor". ;)

Anyone catch the Anthony Bourdain desert special back in August that featured Josh?

Space Suicide
12-02-2011, 07:31 PM
It's been a long wait since Era Vulgaris... although we've had Them Crooked Vultures, Eagles of Death Metal (and now Boots Electric) to fill the gap. I can't wait!

I'll just quote you.

Landshark
12-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Can't wait for something new. Been way too long...

bobbie solo
12-03-2011, 03:02 AM
Anyone catch the Anthony Bourdain desert special back in August that featured Josh?

this was really really good.

sukey
12-03-2011, 07:31 PM
this was really really good.

Twas indeed. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z097_VlcrzQ)

Twas indeed.

Reser D
12-04-2011, 04:20 AM
Something deep within the recesses of my soul has abiding faith in the musical wizard that is Josh Homme and believes that the next LP will be more "Self-Titled/Rated-R-ish" and will redeem Era Vulgaris and all will be well in the world and I will make a cup of tea and smile.

sukey
12-10-2011, 05:34 AM
"Hey kiddies, listen up. 12 days of xmas sale happening NOW - enter QOTSA at check out for 20% off your entire order. OK ok before you all yell at me on the comments machine, Yep. the Queens are deep into makin the new album. Locked away in the desert. & shit yeah. it. sounds. fuckin. killer."
That was posted on QOTSA's facebook yesterday. If I get new NIN in 2012 and new QOTSA I will be the happiest of bunnies.

aggroculture
12-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought EV was more than a bit iffy.
And I still haven't checked out TCV!

botley
12-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Brand new cover of Bob Dylan's "Outlaw Blues" out there. I think it's swell.

imail724
12-11-2011, 12:37 AM
holy shit. that's the surprise of the week :)

Hula
12-11-2011, 05:49 AM
Not a fan of the vocals on the cover—Josh has the voice for it, sure, but of late he seems to be favouring power vocals over melody. As old as the S/T is, it's a great showcase of how beautiful his voice could (and still can) be. Probably the reason I never got hugely into Them Crooked Vultures; there was a little too much belting for my liking.

At any rate, it's nice to hear something new and I'm looking forward to the next album. Chances are I'll love a significant chunk of it, at least, as I have done every album Queens have put out.

botley
12-11-2011, 11:25 AM
It's a Bob Dylan song. He's imitating Bob Dylan, not trying to sing "beautifully". They even imitated the original's 60s stereo mix fer chrissakes.

Hula
12-11-2011, 12:22 PM
I know, it's just a similar vocal style to the one he's been adopting of late. I'll admit I hadn't heard the original version so I had nothing to compare it to; I was just expressing dismay at the lack of melodic vocals in general.

botley
12-11-2011, 01:20 PM
A lot of Queens fans have apparently never heard Bringing It All Back Home. That's sad.

EDIT: Only insofar as the absolute TEMPLATE of "don't-give-a-fuck rock" LPs is not on your radar. Download it right now.

ad infinitum
12-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Heh, I don't know who altered the thread title, but I like it! :p

PooPooMeowChow
12-12-2011, 02:10 PM
the Dylan cover is sick, lovin it.

Delusional
12-12-2011, 03:09 PM
QOTSA - Joshua Homme = God

What's wrong with Josh Homme in QOTSA?

Landshark
12-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Mark Lanegan Band is putting out a new record (Blues Funeral) in February, produced by Alain Johannes and Josh Homme is playing on it. The first track is up streaming at marklanegan.com (http://marklanegan.com/) or you can download it for free. Highly recommended.

Kid Charlemagne
12-30-2011, 12:13 AM
I'm in the camp that thinks Rated R is their best. Something about that album just kicks my ass each time I hear it. SFTD is Rated R perfected, but both are probably the two best pure rock and roll albums released in the past two decades.

As for Lanegan, I can't wait. Has it really been almost eight years since Bubblegum?

R-Dot-Yung
12-30-2011, 07:20 PM
I've always had a love/hate relationship with QOTSA. There's a bunch of tracks I adore and a bunch I can't sit through. The ones I love though I really love.

botley
03-29-2012, 10:56 PM
OHMIGAWD the breakdown in "No One Knows" live circa 2005 was so fucking GOOOOOD. Listening to "Over the Years..." version now and FUCK it's good.

ad infinitum
03-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Update on the new record. (http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/03/hype-check-new-queens-of-the-stone-age-album-title-release-set/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

BenAkenobi
03-31-2012, 04:44 AM
this song by Lanegan probably went unnoticed... http://www.rage.com/en/extras-rage-mark-lanegan

AgentofChaos
04-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Update on the new record. (http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/03/hype-check-new-queens-of-the-stone-age-album-title-release-set/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

Good to hear about them feeling like they don't have to prove anything to anyone. Although 'Ultraviolet Robot' does sound pretty Era Vulgaris'ey to me. Not that I'm complaining though caused I liked that record. I'll take an evolution of that, or some classic style Queens like they've claimed; either way I'm good to go.

ad infinitum
04-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Florence & the Machine & Josh Homme cover Johnny Cash track (http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2012/04/listen-to-florence-the-machine-feat-josh-homme-cov.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

I dig it.

dlb
04-09-2012, 09:11 AM
About Lanegan since I don't know if a seperated thread makes sense:

A friend provided me with some stellar bootlegs that seem to be official as they were sold at shows on his tours around 20120. So far I've got:

Live at Leeds 2010
Live at The Esplanade Hotel 2010
Live -w- band Voxhall 2010
The Night Porter live 2010
Live in the fields of the departed 2011

While they are mostly acoustic with little to no setlist change they sound really great. Are there any more?

I also stumbled upon a radio session in Antwerp he did in December of 2011 already showcasing some songs from blues funeral and what's on the setlist for the current tour (wishing well etc.). Any fan should have it! Google it! ;)

botley
04-09-2012, 11:31 AM
I have the Leeds 2010 boot and that version of Pink Floyd's "Julia Dream" he does is the bossssss shit.

AgentofChaos
04-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Finally got around to listening to Blues Funeral today. Enjoyed a lot of the arrangements. Very cool record.

It's only 1 listen, but I'll probably end up shelling out to see him live next month.

dlb
04-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Lanegan's one of the few artists were I think each and every record is only getting better than the one before. Even with his new more pop orientated direction he choose for blues funeral that many seem to dislike I think he brought something new to the table. And IMHO it makes up for the absence of a true rocker like sideways in reverse on his new album. The concert in Hamburg's been amazing and I kept spinning this record for days with no end similar to bubblegum 8 years before. Ode to sad disco while somewhat a cover version has to be my most played song for 2012 so far.

henryeatscereal
04-11-2012, 12:07 PM
I wish he makes a new record with QUOTSA, loved "Era Vulgaris" but now its time for something more conceptual like "Lullabies to Paralize"

profane
04-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Finally got around to listening to Blues Funeral today. Enjoyed a lot of the arrangements. Very cool record.

It's only 1 listen, but I'll probably end up shelling out to see him live next month.

With a Belgian band yo. At least something good makes it out of here.

dlb
04-11-2012, 01:49 PM
With Creature with the Atom Brain supporting him I finally got the chance to see them live and dare I say they are even better in person than on record. Together with Triggerfinger they've got to be my favorite export from Belgium.

Space Suicide
04-19-2012, 01:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-wKRkvrryg

I forgot how much I loved this remix.

jonypony81
04-30-2012, 09:40 PM
I really enjoy QOTSA. Seeing them open for NIN in Chicago was great
That was a double bill, I was at the show in Madison. QOTSA really rocks.

danebraddy
05-01-2012, 10:27 AM
now its time for something more conceptual like "Lullabies to Paralize"

I adore every QOTSA album, but Lullabies is perfect from the first to last note... horribly underrated, I've had many (sober) Dark Side of the Moon-esque, awe inspiring moments listening to that album.

Fucking. Perfect.

henryeatscereal
05-01-2012, 11:22 AM
I adore every QOTSA album, but Lullabies is perfect from the first to last note... horribly underrated, I've had many (sober) Dark Side of the Moon-esque, awe inspiring moments listening to that album.

Fucking. Perfect.
I agree it was very underrated, in my opinion Lullabies is their best one yet, i think i'll give it a listen

Magtig
06-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Homme and Oliveri make up says Oliveri in this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aRB2Xy1qSd8#t=757s) interview, and Josh guests on a Mondo Generator track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lMxsDpmGZhE

Let the speculation begin.

Kid Charlemagne
06-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Homme and Oliveri make up says Oliveri in this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aRB2Xy1qSd8#t=757s) interview, and Josh guests on a Mondo Generator track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lMxsDpmGZhE

Let the speculation begin.
I knew they'd crossed paths again a few years back, but it's good to see that they've made up. Could this be the reason why we've waited five years since Era Vulgaris and the fact that their last tour was promoting the first album? Homme, Oliveri, Fertita, Melchiondo, Castillo. OH MAN! That Queens lineup would be fucking epic.

aggroculture
06-01-2012, 12:34 PM
What's wrong with Josh Homme in QOTSA?

Every time I see this thread's title, the grammarian in me dies a little.
It says "QOTSA minus Josh Homme equals God." I don't think anyone here believes that QOTSA would be godlike if Homme left the band...maybe some Kyuss Lives! fans.
Perhaps it could be amended to "QOTSA: Josh Homme=God."

Magtig
06-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Calling any human "God" puts them on a pedestal from which they can only fall.

Space Suicide
06-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Calling any human "God" puts them on a pedestal from which they can only fall.

Well, to me he hasn't fell once in any area so we're good!

Magtig
06-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Yeah, but the whole psychology of it fits in with that sycophantic celebrity worship mindset. He's a guy who sings and plays guitar, ridiculously well, granted, but he's still just a person.

At any rate, this is probably completely inconsequential. Whatever. It's one of my buttons. I'm really tired of the way our culture acts towards celebrities and creative people.

Space Suicide
06-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Yeah, but the whole psychology of it fits in with that sycophantic celebrity worship mindset. He's a guy who sings and plays guitar, ridiculously well, granted, but he's still just a person.

At any rate, this is probably completely inconsequential. Whatever. It's one of my buttons. I'm really tired of the way our culture acts towards celebrities and creative people.

I was just playing and being on the positive on the thread's title conceptions. I do agree with you for the most part on what I just quoted and replied to.

aggroculture
06-01-2012, 12:49 PM
No, I think there's some irony here. Josh Homme gives himself a lot of airs, it's part of his act and swagger: he acts all godlike but he's kind of half-joking; I think this is partly a playful reference to that.

kel
06-01-2012, 09:07 PM
i love qotsa *almost* as much as i love the sisters, so this hilarious promo for the new scissor sisters record is two tons of fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw60b-wk9MA

ad infinitum
06-03-2012, 07:52 PM
One of the admins came back along after I created the thread & gave it its current title. No one's ever fessed up to it, but I think it's funny.

That Scissor Sisters short w/Josh is fucking hilarious. That guy can be such a ham sometimes.

henryeatscereal
06-03-2012, 10:23 PM
damn, im getting the CD just 'cause of Josh!

Magtig
06-04-2012, 09:46 AM
One of the admins came back along after I created the thread & gave it its current title. No one's ever fessed up to it, but I think it's funny.
I know; I'm not trying to point fingers at anyone. I've just seen it lead to addiction and mediocrity over and over, and it seems like such a toxic way to look up to someone. Add to that the fact that our culture loves to tear down the people they put on those pedestals, and blah blah blah. Okay, enough of that, bring on the new album!

PooPooMeowChow
06-04-2012, 10:31 AM
holy fuck I want his Cramps jacket!!!

aggroculture
06-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Not complaining about the title's content, merely its punctuation.

Kid Charlemagne
06-04-2012, 01:02 PM
There's really a debate over the thread title in here? Really?

Harry Seaward
07-27-2012, 06:25 AM
New Troy Van Leeuwen interview. (http://www.fender.com/en-NL/news/index.php/?display_article=930) Here's the interesting part.

FN: So what is the latest with the Queens of the Stone Age? New album is apparently in the works?

TVL: Yes, we went out to the desert to get started on it before the holidays. We have this little place called Rancho de la Luna. We’ve actually turned a few people on to it. It’s basically just a house with some gear in it. It’s got a great vibe to it so we went out there for a few weeks and got things really rolling out there. It’s always a journey doing a Queens record because you never know how it’s going to be done. It’s always different.

FN: How is this one most different to you thus far?

TVL: It’s shaping up differently because we have some new band members that are really key. My role in the band in the past has been multi-instrumentalist: guitar, lap steel, keys. But we added a keyboard/guitar player [Dean Fertida] and so now we have three guitar players and can get any kind of keyboard playing. We are just kind of evolving.

Between me and Dean, our side of the stage is going to have a lot of gear. We both play guitar and both play keys. He’s way more of a pianist than I am, so that will be interesting too. We’re thinking somewhere between Lynyrd Skynyrd and James Brown. All the guitar parts on James Brown records are so rhythmically set in stone and juxtapose each other. It’s like taking what one guitar player would do and splitting it up. It’s multi-layered.

And our new bass player [Michael Shuman] is also really gifted and really talented. So just adding those characters to the mix changes things. It’s more fun to track live like that.

FN: After kicking things off out in the desert, you guys took a break from recording for a bit. How has that affected the way this album is being put together?

TVL: Well, we wrote a bunch of stuff during the first sessions and then took a break, and now we’re back to the ghetto-blaster demo stage.

The last record we did, it was all from the studio. That worked for that record. This time, we’re all microscopically looking at the parts and the arrangements of the songs so we can go in and perform them while the digital tape is rolling.

We came back with a lot of new ideas. In many ways, that was good. We’re not really thinking, “This is the record.” We’re thinking, “Here’s a collection of songs, and we’ll pick out what they are as we go.”

There’s no typical way, and we’re discovering what that means. We’re trying to play our favorite music, and some of that is stuff you wouldn’t expect. It’s not trying to be self-indulgent. We want to keep our fan base, but also grow.

FN: What are your expectations for a release date?

TVL: We’re looking to hand in the record in November and have a release next year, hopefully first quarter. And then, we’ll be on tour for about two years. That’s just what we’re talking about, but we’re going to tour a lot.

dlb
07-29-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm a bit confused by the second question. That reads like the interview is from 2006. "new bass player"? Didn't Michael Shuman and Dean Fertita record "era vulgaris" with the rest? Or maybe I'm just too tired right now...

botley
07-29-2012, 04:12 PM
No, they joined after the record was made. This is a new interview and it's the best news I've heard in months.

fillow
07-30-2012, 02:08 AM
Yeah, I believe Alain Johannes played bass on EV (or shared it with Josh/Troy)

dlb
07-30-2012, 03:04 AM
oh okay. didn't know that since the were there from the beginning of the 2007 shows. It just seemed odd that Troy is so enthusiastic about the two of them to participate in a new album although they have been in a band together for 5 years now. so color me curious on how QOTSA will end up sounding on the new record. (not a big fan of the recent outpouts although Them Crooked Vultures restored my faith somehow.)

miss k bee
07-30-2012, 07:48 PM
I am waiting for Josh Homme to reprise Robert Mitchum's role in Night of the Hunter.

ad infinitum
07-31-2012, 09:21 PM
Anyone caught the video for Jack White's new single "Freedom at 21" at about 2:32 in?

(Off topic, but White's new solo album is some tasty shit.)

Harry Seaward
08-21-2012, 04:30 AM
From Facebook: "Recording."

Eight hours later...

http://i.imgur.com/vPdsk.jpg
"told ya."

Full size image here. (http://i.imgur.com/vPdsk.jpg)

wight rabbit
09-03-2012, 03:09 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/295122_10151224156907806_1461436672_n.jpg

Magtig
10-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Wow, no one posted the new JHo solo track? It's fucking great.

http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/09/new-from-josh-homme-nobody-to-love/

sukey
10-01-2012, 05:43 PM
So great. I get a very Desert Sessions-y vibe from it. They've also started to announce tour dates for next year - festivals in Germany, Brazil and Chile so far.

Radiovoyr
10-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Amazing track. Holy shit!

fortheloveofgod
10-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Great stuff. Wish he would release the stuff he recorded for 'No Reservations'

The Doctor
10-04-2012, 09:56 AM
I hate to bump this without any real news, but I'm searching for a track. It's their cover of "Everybody's Gonna Be Happy" from the UK/Japan version of Songs for the Deaf. I would've bought the MP3 from Amazon UK, but they don't allow MP3 sales to people in the US. Does anybody know where I can buy the MP3? Or if not could someone PM about the track? Hint, hint... Please and thank you...

PQHooligan
10-04-2012, 12:25 PM
You may or may not have a message ;)

scorpiusdiamond
10-15-2012, 04:59 PM
For any Brazilians, they're playing Lolla March next year.
For the rest of us, new album/tour before/around/after then...? Oh for a new album...

wight rabbit
10-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Did anyone see "End of Watch?" There's a song that plays during the credits with Josh's vocals. I had a hard time finding any information on it... Does anyone know what it could be?

imail724
10-15-2012, 10:07 PM
http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/108-QOTSA-Joshua-Homme-God?p=49431#post49431

trollmanen
10-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Great stuff. Wish he would release the stuff he recorded for 'No Reservations'

Yeah, me too! The track they talked about and mentioned the name of sounded cool, but somehow I doubt it will see the light of day at this point.

scorpiusdiamond
10-16-2012, 02:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w799Wv-iQIQ

Josh in the Sound City doc.

wight rabbit
10-17-2012, 05:09 PM
http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/108-QOTSA-Joshua-Homme-God?p=49431#post49431

Thanks! I wondered if something was posted about it previously, but didn't venture back because I thought I had seen everything.

Magtig
10-24-2012, 10:13 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/407709_10151298312182806_1702095482_n.jpg
"Right now"

Hurry the fuck up goddammit!

No... wait, wait, I remember Era Vulgaris. Take your time. Sorry.

Magtig
10-26-2012, 02:52 AM
Guess who was hanging out tonight on the Queen Mary (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/81-NIN-Spotting?p=53541#post53541) (with Reznor, Freese, and Lohner).

botley
10-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Hurry the fuck up goddammit!

No... wait, wait, I remember Era Vulgaris. Take your time. Sorry.
Huh? Is that a 'it was great and took a long time to make so give it that kind of care again' comment or a 'fuckin last record blew LOL' comment?

fillow
11-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Some time ago I discovered in my qotsa b-sides folder acoustic versions of Into The Hollow (http://tinyurl.com/dymwsve) and Suture Up Your Future (http://tinyurl.com/cabuqf5). I tried to do correct tagging for all songs, but I failed to find a release that had these two. Anyone know where they come from? Some rare promo or a hi-quality radio recording?

scorpiusdiamond
11-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Download Festival announced. Probably means UK dates too. Sweet.

imail724
11-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Some time ago I discovered in my qotsa b-sides folder acoustic versions of Into The Hollow (http://tinyurl.com/dymwsve) and Suture Up Your Future (http://tinyurl.com/cabuqf5). I tried to do correct tagging for all songs, but I failed to find a release that had these two. Anyone know where they come from? Some rare promo or a hi-quality radio recording?

Either a single or one of the many versions of era vulgaris. There's also acoustic versions of make it wit chu and 3's & 7's.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Harry Seaward
11-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Download Festival announced. Probably means UK dates too. Sweet.

They also mentioned on Twitter that the album will be out before Download.

fillow
11-06-2012, 02:46 AM
Either a single or one of the many versions of era vulgaris.
That's the point, I browsed through all EV-era releases I could find (on discogs) but no luck. Make it wit chu was definitely there though, on album's tour edition and some singles.

scorpiusdiamond
11-06-2012, 01:28 PM
uh...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/486293_10151318536087806_1145194230_n.jpg

PooPooMeowChow
11-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Dave fucking grohl

BrokenSpiral
11-06-2012, 01:33 PM
YESSSS. He should always do at least the studio drumming for this band.

blackholesun
11-06-2012, 02:20 PM
http://pitchfork.com/news/48496-queens-of-the-stone-age-enlist-dave-grohl-for-new-album-drummer-joey-castillo-leaves-band/

ad infinitum
11-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Dave's doing studio drums for the new album? Consider me officially fucking VERY excited. Sucks to hear Joey's left the band, though. That guy is an absolute beast of a drummer in his own right, & was freaking ace every time I saw him live. I wonder who they'll get as a permanent replacement?

BrokenSpiral
11-06-2012, 02:34 PM
I was never a huge fan of Joey. Dave is the true drummer for this band. Him and Jho have a good musical connection. I'd like to see Dave do this as a permanent gig.

scorpiusdiamond
11-06-2012, 03:13 PM
A little sad that Joey has left, he is a seriously badass drummer, although of course... Dave Goddamn Grohl is back...

If you've seen Back & Forth, the Foos doc, you'll know that Dave almost joined QOTSA full time when he played with them last. He loves it, and it'll probably mean he'll tour. Goddamn, Troy, Dean, Dave, Mikey and Josh. That's just the perfectly amalgamation of a bunch of my favourite bands right there.

edit: Full lineup I just said is confirmed, but that looks like a weird way to record... definitely in the mixing sessions now (and imho, a weird way to mix)

Sutekh
11-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Qotsa > foos

I don't hate foos, but they are pretty dull. Singles band. More or less everything else Grohl does is better. It's odd? So yeah, best qotsa era for me was circa 2002, happy to see foos sidelined in favour of a slight return to that era

Kodiak33
11-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Why did he leave? Was he forced out for Grohl?

ManOfAtom
11-06-2012, 05:48 PM
edit: Full lineup I just said is confirmed, but that looks like a weird way to record... definitely in the mixing sessions now (and imho, a weird way to mix)

One assumes the tape is just for the photo, rather than the way the desk is actually set up.

botley
11-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Man, I am bummed Joey's gone (thank you Joey for ten amazing years), but Grohl is the ONLY alternate choice.

blackholesun
11-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Joey was a great drummer for this band. Wonder why he left. But yeah, Dave is more than a formidable replacement. Songs For the Deaf should be proof enough.

bobbie solo
11-07-2012, 12:22 AM
::crosses fingers that Sunny Day Real Estate will get their shit together now::

Kid Charlemagne
11-07-2012, 12:50 AM
This probably explains the "extended hiatus" Dave was referring to at that Last Foo's show. I'm excited for this album now, but like everyone I'll miss Joey. He was a sweetheart and a beast on drums.

wizfan
11-07-2012, 03:49 AM
Great news! Also, Josh reunited with Oliveri this year for the latest Mondo Generator album. It's all coming back together!

scorpiusdiamond
11-07-2012, 05:09 AM
Great news! Also, Josh reunited with Oliveri this year for the latest Mondo Generator album. It's all coming back together!

REALLY?! I find that hard to believe, y'know, especially with the whole Nick being a total woman-beating douchebag and getting arrested for holding his partner hostage thing...
If that is true, I may have lost a little respect for Josh :(

wizfan
11-07-2012, 05:13 AM
I couldn't believe it, either. He is listed as a contributor, along with John Garcia (before the whole lawsuit over the Kyuss name) and Blag Dahlia (who Josh beat the shit out of once). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_Comes_To_Your_Heart

botley
11-07-2012, 08:22 AM
If anyone cares to hear Nick's side of the story, they can check out the interview Antiquiet did with him.

I don't expect he will ever rejoin Queens — that would be a colossally huge blunder — but it is good to see that Josh is standing behind him after a lot of misunderstanding and unfounded rumours. I'm as guilty as anyone is for buying into them; but ultimately, it didn't affect my opinion of Nick's musicianship (which is still lower than most fans' is, though I liked his non-screaming vocals).

Sutekh
11-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Sorry if I'm being daft, but where is the interview (or link) on this page? I feel like I'm looking at a magic eye puzzle

botley
11-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Nick's interview with Antiquiet? http://bit.ly/UwJi5z

henryeatscereal
11-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Will miss Joey and his cholo tats :(

r_z
11-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Nick's interview with Antiquiet? http://bit.ly/UwJi5z

I don't see any interview or link to it on that page, either.

But here's a link to the interview on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51dsoWRjOT8

Sutekh
11-07-2012, 12:23 PM
I respect his reasons for leaving Kyuss, but... on other matters he is fairly evasive & I feel like I've known enough shifty people in my time to know when something is up

but he does seem very different, I believe him when he says the penny has dropped

fortheloveofgod
11-13-2012, 07:27 PM
uh...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/486293_10151318536087806_1145194230_n.jpg

You can add Trent to this now. Vocals I am guessing?? Josh, Dave and Trent. Can't wait....

thevoid99
11-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Josh, Dave, and Trent... that's a musical orgasm.

kas23
11-14-2012, 09:40 AM
After all these shenanigans, this album better deliver. In a big way.

hobochic
11-14-2012, 09:48 AM
I hope Trent's contribution involves more than a noisy fruity loop.

opal
11-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Was this never posted? It's been up since November 6.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A7DD2-XCIAARuD9.jpg

Harry Seaward
11-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Was this never posted? It's been up since November 6.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A7DD2-XCIAARuD9.jpg

When I first saw that, and saw "TR IZ", I thought to myself "Wait, could that mean..." Then I figured it was just a nickname for Troy or something. But this news of Trent joining for a track, I was pleasantly surprised. Even more stoked for this album.

Magtig
11-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Please don't ruin a QOTSA song with Fragile era guitar drones, Trent. I loved that sound when it came out, but you've beaten it so far into the ground it's melting from the heat of the earth (in a bad way). If you're going to endlessly recycle stuff, why not revisit that vicious razor guitar sound from Broken? You know, back when you played more than one note every two measures?

BrokenSpiral
11-14-2012, 06:59 PM
I hope this ends up with Dave on the new nails album too.

Harry Seaward
11-14-2012, 07:54 PM
I hope this ends up with Josh on the new nails album too.

Fixed that for you.

imail724
11-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Likes for the both of you

Deadpool
11-14-2012, 10:42 PM
Grohl is always welcome on some NIN as far as I'm concerned, and J. Ho is overdue for an appearance! TR is about to make his 2nd QOTSA cameo, and Josh's contribution to Year Zero (backing vox on 'In This Twilight'? is that right?) is forever entombed, so get on it, Homme!

I can't believe Grohl is recording drums for the next Queens LP (Song for the Deaf remains my album of choice). Touring with the band is a whole other fun discussion, but as far as the album is concerned, my excitement probably went up 50% based on that news alone.

scorpiusdiamond
11-15-2012, 03:45 PM
The idea of Trent playing with QOTSA seemed so unfathomable to me, I did assume it was Troy...
...it also made me think that (ah, ha ha, please let this be true so I can go YES!) Trent may play guitar for them full time. Wild concept.

Failure
11-16-2012, 08:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW2AKkwJb_c

I am getting giddy thinking about Dave possibly touring with QOTSA. Perhaps TCV can open the show and some Probot songs can be played as well..

R-Dot-Yung
11-16-2012, 09:05 AM
I always forget how much I dig this band.

I haven't listened in over a year probably but I can't wait to pop these tunes on right now, I'm actually a little too excited I feel weird right now.

FernandoDante
11-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Dave Grohl, Trent Reznor, and now NICK OLIVERI:

http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/11/nick-oliveri-is-also-on-the-new-queens-of-the-stone-age-record/

BrokenSpiral
11-28-2012, 09:56 AM
Sweeetttt. I hope he rejoins. He really brought some balks to the music.

dlb
11-28-2012, 10:35 AM
I really hope this will be a return to form since Homme hasn't put out anything worthwhile IMHO since the last desert sessions, except for Them Crooked Vultures. I'm finally looking forward to a QOTSA record again, although I do not really know how TR fits into the picture despite vocal constributions.

On the onewhisky-forum some guy talked to Lanegan about a possible QOTSA reunion and surprise, surprise, Mark wrote some lyrics and already had a first listen at the new stuff. I really hope he returns for at least 1 or two tracks since he started to play hangin' tree again at his recent shows.

scorpiusdiamond
11-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Ugh...... :(

Magtig
12-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Josh Homme gave an update (http://www.antiquiet.com/studio-reports/2012/12/josh-homme-updates-fans-on-new-qotsa-record/) on the album to Zane Lowe:

He stated that lyrically, the new LP is “more vulnerable,” and that musically, it’s “deeper, richer and stranger” than the band’s previous efforts. He described the new music as something that “sounds like you’re running in a dream the whole time,” but one that’ll hopefully end up like “a spoonful of sugar.” The frontman concluded by saying that, with every record, he hopes to “pull every trick I know to wrap hopes in strangeness” – but with this one, “the final trick I have is ‘no trick at all.’”

I also found this picture on a photography website. It's a project that shows rockstars right after performing (so, sweaty tired rockstars (http://fstoppers.com/rock-stars-photographed-moments-after-their-show?utm_source=&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=)).

http://fstoppers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/queens_of_the_stone_age-joey_castillo_and_josh_homme_1-832x1024.jpg

scorpiusdiamond
12-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Josh Homme gave an update (http://www.antiquiet.com/studio-reports/2012/12/josh-homme-updates-fans-on-new-qotsa-record/) on the album to Zane Lowe

Zane Lowe did a documentary on Songs For The Deaf (BBC, so UK only, unless you have the means) (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p1vyq)

dlb
12-03-2012, 05:06 PM
thanks for the link! listening now and it actually works fine here in Germany. Guess BBC lets at least Europeans listen to their porgrams. :)

Harry Seaward
12-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Zane Lowe did a documentary on Songs For The Deaf (BBC, so UK only, unless you have the means) (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p1vyq)

I'm listening just fine and I'm smack dab in Nevada. I don't think this one is blocked for foreigners, for some reason.

ManOfAtom
12-04-2012, 07:30 AM
I think BBC radio can be accessed worldwide, it's TV that's region locked.

Maul
12-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Songs for the Dead is such a good album.

scorpiusdiamond
12-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Oh that's cool. You're welcome non licence payers ;)
I guess it doesn't need to be mention that there's a QOTSA track under the new Sound City trailer as well as a buttload of Josh?
edit: Also, looks like Grohl isn't going to tour, and they're auditioning drummers (https://twitter.com/antiquiet/status/274227880140087296)

kas23
12-04-2012, 07:48 PM
http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/11/nick-oliveri-is-also-on-the-new-queens-of-the-stone-age-record/

I've never seen that video before. Now I see why he was kicked out of the band. I really don't know exactly what to think about that. I guess it was funny (still a poor word choice I suppose), but towards the end things just got out of hand.

FernandoDante
12-04-2012, 08:22 PM
I've never seen that video before. Now I see why he was kicked out of the band. I really don't know exactly what to think about that. I guess it was funny (still a poor word choice I suppose), but towards the end things just got out of hand.
It's a classic, and my favorite video with Nick. I think the band was enjoying the hell out of that performance, you can even see Josh laughing.

Nick perfectly fit the QOTSA eras he played on, and they parted ways at the right time. At any rate, the naked bassist thing could only go on for so long - but it was awesome while it did.

Magtig
12-04-2012, 09:26 PM
This looks amazing!

http://youtu.be/HQoOfiLz1G4

scorpiusdiamond
12-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Just listened to the QOTSA Radio 1 show finally. If you haven't yet listened to it do it now. There's only four days left to listen to it.
The way they recorded Song For The Dead... holy crap. I'll let you get the goosebumps I had. I literally yelled "FUCK OFF!" at my computer.

voidnz
12-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Has anyone ripped it and youtubed it?

seasonsinthesky
12-06-2012, 04:57 PM
yeah it's a really great presentation of the making of the record. i was quite impressed. the interviews were phenomenal!

Maurish
12-06-2012, 11:40 PM
Really interesting interview, thanks for letting us know.

Some additional info about the drums on this record.
About the drum roll in "No One Knows", it's not just straight 16th notes like Zane thinks, it's a drum rudiment called herta. It's two 32nd notes followed by two 16th notes. That's what makes it so interesting, it's difficult to keep the notes even, especially at faster tempos.
I'll also add that Dave is known for playing with only single bass drum pedal. If you listen to the chorus of "First it Giveth", most people would probably say that there's some double bass drumming involved but it's actually Dave's clever way of using the floor tom to mimic that scenario. It sounds really meaty.
Like Dave said, recording drums and cymbals separately gave him the opportunity to get the drums very punchy sounding. I was not aware of that, it's really interesting way of recording.

Here's hoping that the new album has the same energy as "Songs for the Deaf" had!

BrokenSpiral
12-06-2012, 11:57 PM
Weird.. T-Mobile is airing a new commercial with the 'Millionaire' instrumental playing.

imail724
12-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Not sure where else to post this so I'll just leave it here:
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/7003/darkmarkdoeschristmas20.jpg
Yeah, this exists...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhgfLvqp-xI

Kid Charlemagne
12-08-2012, 11:05 AM
So Grohl announced he's not touring with the band.

I hope at best he will do a couple of shows.

Space Suicide
12-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Weird.. T-Mobile is airing a new commercial with the 'Millionaire' instrumental playing.

I heard that as well and was taken by surprise.

On topic, excited for new music finally. Era Vulgaris turns 6 next year...holy crap.

BrokenSpiral
12-08-2012, 12:16 PM
It's crazy that it's been that long.

dlb
12-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Still they managed to stay in the spot light for most of the 6 years. Good job, put I really hope that they return to a heavier sound and more meaty parts like songs for the deaf and to some extent lullabies had.

fortheloveofgod
12-08-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm listening just fine and I'm smack dab in Nevada. I don't think this one is blocked for foreigners, for some reason.

Great listen. Loved hearing about how Dave came to drum for the record and record them.

Yeah no blocking here. Didn't have to use tunnel bear

botley
12-10-2012, 03:13 PM
I loved the Era Vulgaris tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLfCz-RZ1lU

A pity they seem to have sound issues onstage (JHo keeps complaining that it sounds like being inside a pillow, and most everyone's vocals start to go quite flat after "Sick, Sick, Sick") but otherwise this is a KILLER show.

scorpiusdiamond
12-13-2012, 12:27 PM
A couple of images from QOTSA recently:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/01bbbe5555ef29c26731b67681c61aeb/tumblr_meuux89UFG1rcyuzvo1_1280.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/e3b4b7af2a67bbfe83f6a2aebca0d612/tumblr_meuux89UFG1rcyuzvo3_1280.jpg

ad infinitum
12-14-2012, 02:28 PM
awesome (http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/12/holy-shit-is-dave-grohls-sound-city-soundtrack-packed-with-amazing-collaborations/)

Could I be any more excited about this project?

kas23
12-14-2012, 06:15 PM
awesome (http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/12/holy-shit-is-dave-grohls-sound-city-soundtrack-packed-with-amazing-collaborations/)

Could I be any more excited about this project?

11. Dave Grohl, Joshua Homme, and Trent Reznor – Mantra
Fucking hell.

Thank god. I was beginning to think Trent misplaced his balls. Dave and Josh must've helped him find them.

Maul
12-15-2012, 05:31 AM
The New QOTSA album will melt off our faces for sure,guys.I'm glad to see Chris Goss is involved with the Sound City soundtrack.
Btw,listening to my Songs for the Deaf copy,I remembered that Twiggy is one of the dj's. Any of you know which of them is Twiggy? I can't recognize him by his voice.

dlb
12-15-2012, 07:09 AM
apparently he can be heard at the end of do it again.

FernandoDante
12-16-2012, 06:32 PM
http://www.qotsa.com/

Type in your e-mail address. Or maybe there's more to this, I dunno.

fortheloveofgod
12-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Yeah that is all weird and cyptic. TR must be rubbing off on Josh.

gorny540
12-16-2012, 09:10 PM
I think its at the end of Do It Again and by the way I hate how cryptic they're being but hopefully something substantial is on the way

razzletiger
12-17-2012, 09:13 PM
The New QOTSA album will melt off our faces for sure,guys.I'm glad to see Chris Goss is involved with the Sound City soundtrack.
Btw,listening to my Songs for the Deaf copy,I remembered that Twiggy is one of the dj's. Any of you know which of them is Twiggy? I can't recognize him by his voice.

He's Tom Sherman, at Banden College, where, evidently, they're promoting a blood drive...

ghostaustin
12-18-2012, 10:47 AM
http://www.qotsa.com/

Type in your e-mail address. Or maybe there's more to this, I dunno.

Did you guys get the "what did you think would happen?" e-mail? Maybe they're just being a bunch of pricks =P

r_z
12-18-2012, 01:26 PM
It's just a regular newsletter, probably.

gorny540
12-19-2012, 03:11 PM
the fact the website is what it is and the rekrek forum is down gives hope, they really got to make some type of announcement soon to start building some legitimate buzz, I think their first shows are in March so atleast by then we'll know whats good

scorpiusdiamond
12-26-2012, 12:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shgpssp9ZpA

Kid Charlemagne
12-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Patrick fucking Swayze!

kas23
12-26-2012, 07:27 PM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news:

http://www.nme.com/news/scissor-sisters--2/67864

then there's this:

http://www.factmag.com/2012/12/19/new-queens-of-the-stone-age-album-due-in-march/

but then unfortunately there's this:

http://www.nme.com/news/queens-of-the-stone-age/67837

botley
12-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Watching the press try to cover the recordings this band makes is like watching nine-year-olds play broken dickphone. That "documentary" above is way more informative.

witte
12-27-2012, 10:59 AM
what's the trick to enter the website?
http://www.qotsa.com

FernandoDante
12-27-2012, 11:39 AM
No trick, just enter your e-mail.

gorny540
12-27-2012, 01:52 PM
In their cryptic postings so far theres been a common usage of the number 9, it definitely means something but I don't know, my guess i the album comes out 4/9/12 (because that is a tuesday and albums come out on tuesdays)

botley
12-27-2012, 02:04 PM
No. Just... gonna say no, here.

Dra508
12-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Patrick fucking Swayze!

Admit it, that's your ear.

scorpiusdiamond
12-28-2012, 06:37 AM
I watched End of Watch last night (it was awful) and I noticed there's a different version of 'Nobody To Love' than the one I have, different instrumentation and Josh's voice seems to be higher.
Does anyone have a source of it?

lloyd_dhr
12-29-2012, 07:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shgpssp9ZpA
Matt Fuckin' Berry!

the duder
01-25-2013, 07:52 AM
From the moment I saw young "Bobby" in this video, I couldn't help but think, "wow...that's probably what a young Josh Homme woulda done".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IvhJuq0r2AM!

Magtig
01-26-2013, 01:16 PM
From the Qotsa FB:

"Lanegan came by. He didn't say much, but he sang good."
- Troy Van Leeuwen said to Dean Fertita as overheard by Mikey Shoes

dlb
01-26-2013, 01:26 PM
I sincerely hope that he sings on more than one song. But any Lanegan is good Lanegan as long as it's a proper song rather than some backing vocals.

kenthebear
01-26-2013, 05:24 PM
still recording?

hope they stick to josh saying it'll be out by the start of june.

Amaro
01-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Random: QOTSA should do a cover of "Low Rider."

Magtig
01-26-2013, 08:02 PM
Yeah, then they'd be crazy Korn cool.

fortheloveofgod
01-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Saw End the Watch last night. Was totally surprised by Josh's song at the start of the credits and puscifer.

scorpiusdiamond
01-27-2013, 03:44 PM
Forgot to mention. Had a dream I met Josh the other night. He said the album would be out March 24th.
Am going to be totally creeped out if it does.

FernandoDante
01-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Another cryptic image thingy:

http://cdn.antiquiet.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/QOTSA-Message-2.jpg

http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2013/01/qotsa-message-uncut-magazine/

gorny540
01-29-2013, 09:27 PM
999 is the UK emergency #, albums in the UK come out on Mondays, Monday Sept 9th the album is coming out, you're welcome

blackholesun
02-03-2013, 11:12 AM
But that's so far away :(

scorpiusdiamond
02-03-2013, 11:17 AM
He said it would come out before Download festival. It's not coming out in September, don't worry.

dominik
02-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Qotsa are playing in vienna in july aödlfkjadlsöfkjadlsöfajk

Magtig
02-07-2013, 01:06 AM
So... Elton John is on the new Qotsa record. Dang.

http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2013/02/qotsa-elton-john-chelsea-lately/

List of guests and contributors so far:
Dave Grohl (http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/11/dave-grohl-returns-to-queens-of-the-stone-age/)
Nick Oliveri (http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/11/nick-oliveri-is-also-on-the-new-queens-of-the-stone-age-record/)
Mark Lanegan (https://twitter.com/qotsa/status/294949140402692096)
Trent Reznor (http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/11/trent-reznor-confirms-involvement-in-new-qotsa-album/)
Elton John
Brody Dalle (https://twitter.com/antiquiet/status/292454192285634561)
Jake Shears (Scissor Sisters) (http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/12/scissor-sisters-frontman-queens-of-the-stone-age/)

henryeatscereal
02-07-2013, 08:30 AM
QOTSA & Friends!

SaintNoir
02-07-2013, 08:38 AM
QOTSA & Friends!

Starting to feel like those Santana comeback albums...

dlb
02-07-2013, 08:44 AM
I'd rather they keep it simple for the QOTSA record and go into the studio with all these people to finally come up with a new Desert Sessions. Although that might be something that Dave Grohl kind of did with the Sound City players. I'm not too fond of Elton John these days. Having seen him on the Diamond Jubilee for the Queen was pretty disapointing as he was only belting out his vocals instead of trying to hit a note. But yeah, Josh & Co. will have a fitting spot for him on the record in mind, I guess.

fortheloveofgod
02-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Just wait they will add Sting to the list.

jessamineny
02-07-2013, 08:47 AM
The number 9 thing... maybe they're touring with NIN?

Edit: Just wishful thinking. The clues are definitely about the release date. :rolleyes:

henryeatscereal
02-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Starting to feel like those Santana comeback albums...
Damn! i guess a collaboration with Rob Thomas is next :/

Magtig
02-07-2013, 11:39 AM
I think it's great. It sounds to me as if Josh and co are pulling out all the stops and really pushing for something different.

Kid Charlemagne
02-07-2013, 12:12 PM
You guys hating on this Elton John thing need to settle down. If anything his contribution is probably minimal. Hell, he was on the last Kanye West album, and you couldn't point him out if you tried. Josh had tons of guest on Songs for the Deaf, and that's arguably their best album. I'm sure there's going to be tons of whomp ass rock on this album that will satisfy us. I have no doubt that it'll be good and I'm sure he knows what he's doing. We've been waiting six years for this album, so I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

botley
02-07-2013, 12:14 PM
I think it's great. It sounds to me as if Josh and co are pulling out all the stops and really pushing for something different.

^ THIS. This. THIIIIIS. "QotSA & Friends?" What are you, high? Have you read any of the liner notes for any QotSA album ever?

Anyone who doesn't understand how fucking DOPE this news is must be just plain ignorant of the history of those artists. I mean, Elton Fucking John is a huge, gigantic, towering figure in "don't give a fuck" rock. He is on the same continuum as Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, and lots of other artists who reached an amazing zenith of popularity in the 1970s while being utterly iconoclastic and WEIRD. Plus he's building a summer home in the same town where my grandma lives here in Ontario.

Kid Charlemagne
02-07-2013, 12:19 PM
It isn't like they're getting together and covering "Can You Feel The Love Tonight".

kenthebear
02-07-2013, 12:52 PM
You guys hating on this Elton John thing need to settle down. If anything his contribution is probably minimal. Hell, he was on the last Kanye West album, and you couldn't point him out if you tried.

What? His contribution to Monster was great. I like the way he did it under a false name to play it down. Micky Pinage or something?

henryeatscereal
02-07-2013, 12:58 PM
I have no problem with Elton John, i loved his (very small) contribution in "Black gives way to Blue" (Alice in chains, track)
I find it odd but i don't think he will decrease or increase the quality of the new QOTSA album and my "QOTSA and friends" comment was more of a joke and a nod to the Flaming Lips...

thevoid99
02-07-2013, 02:25 PM
I have no problem with Elton John either. Dude is awesome. Just don't get bitchy with him. After all, he is the king of the divas.

orestes
02-07-2013, 03:38 PM
Not only that but he fucking kills it on piano.

thevoid99
02-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Not only that but he fucking kills it on piano.

Totally. Him on a QOSTA album actually makes sense. Elton definitely knows a lot about blues and so does Josh. Do you think there's a piano-duel between Elton and Trent?

aggroculture
02-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Elton John is the shit. I really hope he gets to do a vocal track, not just a piano one.

I am really ready for this album to be a return to form: for me EV was a crushing disappointment (apart from Sick, Sick, Sick), so much so that I didn't even check out Them Crooked Vultures.

The Reason Being
02-07-2013, 10:28 PM
What is it about Era Vulgaris that people hate so much? I'm a massive fan of that record and i'm just genuinely curious why people have a problem with it? There are about two skippable songs on it imo.

Really looking forward to the new stuff!

thevoid99
02-07-2013, 11:08 PM
I loved Era Vulgaris. I thought it was a solid rock album.

thelastdisciple
02-07-2013, 11:52 PM
+1 for Era Vulgaris

Tons of catchy and groovy tunes imo.

Magtig
02-08-2013, 12:03 AM
EV was a crushing disappointment (apart from Sick, Sick, Sick), so much so that I didn't even check out Them Crooked Vultures.
That's a mistake. TCV was fucking awesome, and I credit that experience with giving Josh a much needed boost in bravado, return to form and definitely improved chops. You could say it was Era Vulgaris recovery for Josh in many ways, except that there were two other powerhouse players on it pushing the envelope further and further. By the end of the tour the three of those guys were so nuts and locked into each other musically that it was crazy! I really wish they had gone back into the studio at that point. They were on fire.

As for Era Vulgaris itself, I have a hard time putting my finger on what bothers me about it so much. Part of it is the way it was recorded, the ear fatigue is pretty nuts. The songs sounded great to me at first, but after several listens they actually lost depth, and I found myself getting sick of them very quickly. It just doesn't seem to have the heart and soul that other Qotsa records do.

gorny540
02-08-2013, 01:49 AM
EV was(IS) an awesome album, it just lacked that certain something that would've made it an all time classic like SFTD or Rated R, this upcoming album is really going to be their most hyped ever because of the guests, although I'm not going to get too excited about guests because all of them might be doing nothing more than singing basic backup vocals (see Mark Lanegan on EV or Shirley Manson on LTP)

dlb
02-08-2013, 04:49 AM
Here's a question to all EV fans: which bootleg from 2007 to this date is the most recommendable in terms of pounding sound and good vocals? It would also be nice if it included sick, sick, sick. There are so many to choose from, but thanks in advance!

fillow
02-08-2013, 05:10 AM
I know there are probably longer proshot shows and some in better quality, but this one is my all-time favorite:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUFces1kbfE
Especially Misfit Love

think i'm a fire engine
02-08-2013, 08:01 AM
That's a mistake. TCV was fucking awesome, and I credit that experience with giving Josh a much needed boost in bravado, return to form and definitely improved chops.

This times a million. I like EV as just a rock and roll record, but TCV definitely had a certain something that EV lacked.

dlb
02-08-2013, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the link! The Werchter performances tend to be always a winner with QOTSA! Just got a mp3-version and it's great so far!

TCV was a pleasant surprise for me after I was heavily let down by EV. misfit love and sick, sick, sick rank among my favorite QOTSA songs, but the rest of the album is really not my thing. I just hate the overall quirkiness and the fuzzed out lo-fi sound of it. Those elemtens were always present with Queens but EV totally lacks the warmth and punch the guitar tone on SFD and rated R had. lullabies was a good combination of both worlds, but EV is all over the place. I don't know, but after whorshipping this band on any given occasion I could not stand them for the most part of 2005-2012 which is partly due to the line-up. The connection with Eagles of Death Metal doesn't help that fact either since they are the weakest link in the whole desert rock family IMHO and that's coming from someone who just can't get enough of all things Lanegan, Goon Moon, MoR, Orchestra del Desierto, Earthlings, Eleven and even Spinnerrette etc.

One thing I can not get behind is why EV was their breakthrough-album in Germany. For some odd reason the concerts I've been to since 2007 where packed with idiots who went ape shit as soon as little sister came on, but turned to the bar when they started out with regular john and the likes. People...

I hope the new record will be a return to form as Josh remains one of my favorite frontmen of all time and I could watch that guy play guitar til the end of my days. The inclusion of the many guests is by no means a bad thing, but the media coverage makes it seem like the whole album will consist of "featuring" after "featuring" which I guess it won't be, but you never know.

dominik
02-08-2013, 10:27 AM
the main thing that "bothers" me about EV is that it isn't "desert rock" enough for QOTSA. And I think EV as a track is the best of the album although it isn't on the album. The whole album should've been like that. And TCV definitely had an impact on Dave too.. Just listen to Caligulove and then to Arlandria.

scorpiusdiamond
02-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Was visited by JHomme in my dreams again the other night, he said it would be out in a few weeks... if I am a vessel for QOTSA goodness, I do not mind. Getting freaked out a bit by the fact that I'm having reoccurring dreams about this album though.

jessamineny
02-11-2013, 12:31 PM
My guess is 9 p.m. on 3/9 (both clues featured 999 = three 9s = 3/9, plus the clock on 9).

kenthebear
02-11-2013, 12:52 PM
help i keep ringing up the emergency services (999, get it??) askinjg 'is this where i buy the new qotsa (i prounouce it 'qwotsa') album??' and they're tehreating to send the police to me if i do not stop

josh???? why

Madmya
02-12-2013, 02:20 AM
http://youtu.be/sIZYLYJwws0

scorpiusdiamond
02-12-2013, 06:42 AM
Essentially the same message with an extra number nine. I guess this album won't be as gratuitously overproduced a la Era Vulgaris?
Also, damn the post above, new thumbnail on the same video got me excited...
edit: All of the watches point to nine as well...

jessamineny
02-12-2013, 07:09 AM
Is this what you're talking about?
(http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2013/02/a-third-mysterious-queens-of-the-stone-age-message-has-surfaced/)
What do you mean, an extra 9? I only see the repetition of the three 9s again. (Plus the 9s on the clocks.)

scorpiusdiamond
02-12-2013, 07:13 AM
Is this what you're talking about?
(http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2013/02/a-third-mysterious-queens-of-the-stone-age-message-has-surfaced/)
What do you mean, an extra 9? I only see the repetition of the three 9s again. (Plus the 9s on the clocks.)

Yep. 'Cloud 9'.

jessamineny
02-12-2013, 07:20 AM
Well, it's not really an "extra" 9.

Mojo magazine (http://www.antiquiet.com/studio-reports/2012/12/qotsa-post-mysterious-message-hint-at-manic-unpredictable-record/)had the three 9s (hidden in the lashes), the clock on 9, and also mentioned "a stitch in time will save you 9."

I just want to know what that cursive word is, which keeps showing up. Looks like it begins with a p. Was in Mojo's clock face, the shoulder of the bunny's jacket, and now the side of the palm. Edit: It's probably the artist's name, I'd guess.

scorpiusdiamond
02-12-2013, 04:08 PM
http://cdn.antiquiet.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Untitled.png

One that the NME failed to publish last year.

jessamineny
02-12-2013, 08:39 PM
I hadn't noticed before that there's a repeating "3" in these as well... not just the three 9's (which are in the guy's head tattoo in this one).

In the NME ad, his earrings form the number 3. The Kerrang has three fingers with nail polish. The Uncut has a rabbit with three eyes. I don't know where 3 is in the Mojo one, besides the three 9s.

kenthebear
02-13-2013, 12:14 PM
NME did an article about this, and it said that the date that made most sense was June 9th, Download is 14-16 so it fits.

It's a Sunday, but MBV released theirs on a Sunday so it might be cool to do it now.

scorpiusdiamond
02-13-2013, 05:39 PM
"A Stitch In Time Will Save You 9 But" "Some Things You Just Can’t Fix So" "If You Find" "You’re Out Of Time Then…"
Guessing there's a bit more to come?

AgentofChaos
02-13-2013, 06:25 PM
... here is album number 6!

ibanez33
03-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Just found out last night that they're playing Squamish festival near me, went to their site to check out tour dates and what the hell is going on? Can someone give me a TL;DR of this crazy new album stuff?

kas23
03-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Just found out last night that they're playing Squamish festival near me, went to their site to check out tour dates and what the hell is going on? Can someone give me a TL;DR of this crazy new album stuff?

There's going to be a bunch of guests on it, including TR and Dave Grohl and many others, but we don't know when it's coming out.

ibanez33
03-04-2013, 05:20 AM
There's going to be a bunch of guests on it, including TR and Dave Grohl and many others, but we don't know when it's coming out.

Any clues or hints as to when? They've got a lot of festivals coming up, I'd put money on it coming out this summer.

kenthebear
03-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Josh said before Download Festival, which is early June. I stated earlier NME said June 9th is likely, so I stick by that.

Magtig
03-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Add another person to the guest list: Josh Freese' dad.

Josh Freese (https://www.facebook.com/josh.freese.16)
It's not everyday I'm envious of my Dads tuba gigs. But tonight he's in the studio with The Queens Of The Stone Age playing on another one of their records. Go Dad! #tubazar #tubatree #carnationplaza #speedo #desertrock #stonertuba #iwantmytenpercent

Harry Seaward
03-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Add another person to the guest list: Josh Freese' dad.

http://i.imgur.com/R665qBK.jpg

BrokenSpiral
03-05-2013, 11:07 PM
That's cool. I'm hyped for this Queens album after hearing Mantra and Centipede from the Sound City album. Hope Josh is bringing back the edgy sound to his music.

scorpiusdiamond
03-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Hope Josh is bringing back the edgy sound to his music.

Did Sick, Sick, Sick and Misfit Love pass you by then?

InsectGod
03-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Why do so many fans hate on Era Vulgaris? I understand that everyone likes different albums for different reasons, but I've been a QOTSA fan since Rated Argh, and EV was an instant classic to me.

thevoid99
03-07-2013, 09:05 PM
I don't understand the hate for Era Vulgaris. While I think Rated R and Songs for the Deaf are the band's most defining work but Era Vulgaris is just a fucking awesome album. It's what I love in hard rock music and metal. It just goes for it with riffs. Songs like "I'm Designer" has melodies, crunch, and power. It reminded me of some of that good ol' 70s hard rock. How can anyone not love the rhythmic drive of "Run Pig Run"?

scorpiusdiamond
03-08-2013, 05:48 AM
God yeah, don't forget Turnin On The Screw, I'm Designer, Battery Acid and Era Vulgaris. What about Them Crooked Vultures? There are some incredibly acidic lyrics on that album. Sheesh. Josh has always had an edge, maybe you need to stop listening to the singles.
/rant

gerbil
03-09-2013, 07:18 AM
I don't understand the hate for Era Vulgaris. While I think Rated R and Songs for the Deaf are the band's most defining work but Era Vulgaris is just a fucking awesome album. It's what I love in hard rock music and metal. It just goes for it with riffs. Songs like "I'm Designer" has melodies, crunch, and power. It reminded me of some of that good ol' 70s hard rock. How can anyone not love the rhythmic drive of "Run Pig Run"?

I enjoy a lot of Era Vulgaris, but a lot of the songs like Run Pig Run sound unfinished.

InsectGod
03-09-2013, 06:23 PM
http://nineinchnails.tumblr.com/post/44792513129/dave-grohl-josh-homme-and-trent-reznor-perform Mantra

Harry Seaward
03-22-2013, 11:53 AM
The band tweeted their site link. (http://t.co/RrnGCB7tdH)

Is something happening?

Space Suicide
03-22-2013, 12:56 PM
The band tweeted their site link. (http://t.co/RrnGCB7tdH)

Is something happening?

Obviously since nothing is showing or loading.

fortheloveofgod
03-22-2013, 01:47 PM
site updated to mailing list sign up and song snippets. Not sure how many yet. Keep reloading the page. JUNE release date.
http://qotsa.com/images/q.gif (http://qotsa.com/#)

thelastdisciple
03-22-2013, 02:14 PM
GoDaddy.com

Awesome stuff.

sukey
03-22-2013, 03:01 PM
site updated to mailing list sign up and song snippets. Not sure how many yet. Keep reloading the page. JUNE release date.
http://qotsa.com/images/q.gif (http://qotsa.com/#)
There's 7 - you can listen to them all here (http://www.reddit.com/r/qotsa/comments/1atdkc/more_teases_of_the_new_album_but_at_least_we_have/).
Antiquiet (http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2013/03/new-queens-of-the-stone-age/) confirmed the new album is called '... Like Clockwork'.

Magtig
03-22-2013, 03:53 PM
There's 7 - you can listen to them all here (http://www.reddit.com/r/qotsa/comments/1atdkc/more_teases_of_the_new_album_but_at_least_we_have/).
Antiquiet (http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2013/03/new-queens-of-the-stone-age/) confirmed the new album is called '... Like Clockwork'.
Samples never get me excited for any album. But these ones do. Sounds like fucking madness.

thelastdisciple
03-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Oh FINALLY they're working properly.

Quite the frantic sounds coming out of there.

fillow
03-22-2013, 07:09 PM
I've never loved an album after listening to random 30 seconds of it before. Now I did.

Kid Charlemagne
03-22-2013, 08:54 PM
They also signed to Matador Records...my favorite record label. So this album is probably going to be fucking awesome!

sukey
03-26-2013, 09:02 AM
http://cdn.antiquiet.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Like-Clockwork-Press.jpg

via Antiquiet (http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2013/03/qotsas-like-clockwork-to-also-feature-alex-turner-and-jon-theodore/).

dlb
03-26-2013, 10:53 AM
James Lavelle (UNKLE) was just confirmed via facebook to join in on the new album! fuck yes! :)

Deadpool
03-26-2013, 11:34 AM
James owes Josh after "Safe in Mind", "Chemistry", "Restless", "Chemical"!

S. Chonson
03-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Bah. I wish Joey Castillo was still with em.