PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek: Into Darkness - SPOILERS

Lutz
07-05-2012, 07:46 AM
We're getting pretty close to this right?

What do you make of the cast saying "it's no fun if it's already a tight knit crew"? I understand there are still teething problems but the strength of almost every other iteration of Star Trek has been the extremely tight knit crew.

Normally it rings alarm bells for me because infighting amongst the main characters is generally the lazy way to write BUT Star Trek 11 was fairly decent...

Also. I hope they have a more Star Trek sounding soundtrack this time.

Leman Russ
07-05-2012, 08:01 AM
I was very surprised by the last movie, and have been looking forward to ST 12 for a while. I just hope they do not use Khan as the villain. You could never top the original Khan, and to even try would be pretty insulting. Plus, it basically screams out that the writers can't come up with anything new on their own.

eversonpoe
07-06-2012, 01:40 PM
i think calling it Star Trek 12 is kind of misleading. it should be Star Trek B2 or something. haha.

i HATED the score for the last film (and i usually love michael giacchino's work). i found it distracting and irritating.

REPLICA
07-08-2012, 05:01 PM
I can't wait for ST 12 (ST B2), I thought the last one was pretty good. I just hated how in the ST XI universe, Vulcan is gone, Spock (Original) is stuck in the XI universe and there was an ice planet right near Vulcan - that didn't make sense to me.

Anyway, I too, hope they don't use Khan as the villain. It should be all good though. I think it would be interesting to show a lot of the other "new" technology that the XI universe has - ship designs, possible hand phaser upgrades and such.

I thought the score was pretty good overall, I did notice a time or two when it did seem like it was misplaced in the film.

Fixer808
07-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Seemed to me like there was way too much flexible reality in regards to space and/or warp drive capabilities in the last one.

REPLICA
07-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Seemed to me like there was way too much flexible reality in regards to space and/or warp drive capabilities in the last one.

I'll agree with that. It seemed to me that they were at Earth one second and the next, they were at Vulcan.

Leman Russ
07-12-2012, 07:41 AM

It seems like that is done for nearly any movie with faster than light capabilities. "How much time do we need to explain something/show a dramatic scene/setup the next part of the movie? Great, that's exactly how much time it will take them to get from Point A to Point B".

Fixer808
07-12-2012, 06:18 PM
It seems like that is done for nearly any movie with faster than light capabilities. "How much time do we need to explain something/show a dramatic scene/setup the next part of the movie? Great, that's exactly how much time it will take them to get from Point A to Point B".
Yeah, but at least other movies tend to make it clear through editing that a reasonable amount of time is passing, like Star Trek 6. It feels like that movie takes place over the course of at least a few weeks, unlike the latest one, where it seems like hours (barring the whole "skip forward 25 years" part). Mostly what bothered me was the "Look, it takes 30 seconds to get to Vulcan now! Whoops, we're meeting up with the rest of the fleet in the next sector, that's gonna take a while. Hey look, you can see Vulcan from this adjacent planet! The same one we're going to pass by 8 times, just so Kirk has enough time to meet old Spock, young Scotty, and beam aboard!"

REPLICA
07-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Yeah, but at least other movies tend to make it clear through editing that a reasonable amount of time is passing, like Star Trek 6. It feels like that movie takes place over the course of at least a few weeks, unlike the latest one, where it seems like hours (barring the whole "skip forward 25 years" part). Mostly what bothered me was the "Look, it takes 30 seconds to get to Vulcan now! Whoops, we're meeting up with the rest of the fleet in the next sector, that's gonna take a while. Hey look, you can see Vulcan from this adjacent planet! The same one we're going to pass by 8 times, just so Kirk has enough time to meet old Spock, young Scotty, and beam aboard!"

That's exactly what I was thinking! Plus the fact that the crew can go from engineering to the bridge in about 20 seconds on those new turbolifts. I remember on TNG, it would take them a few minutes to get to the bridge from engineering. I can understand that if it is faster on a smaller ship but still, the Constitution class is a big ship.

Fixer808
07-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Same with the Jeffries Tubes, there were episodes on all the series from TNG on where at some point someone's gonna be going up or down several decks and it takes ages. Hell, half of First Contact felt like it should have been called "SO MANY FUCKING TUBES UP IN THIS SHIP!"

I GET that it's done to hurry up the pace, but seriously, Spock gets in a turbolift and half a second later the door opens to the bridge!!

botley
07-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Silly bickering over unimportant shit like this is why the Star Trek franchise disappeared up its own arse and was tarred with the "irredemably geeky" brush for decades. Trekkies should by all rights be tripping over their own boners to hear that J.J. Abrams is making their movies more eye-popping, more sexy, more emotionally resonant, more COOL than any they had before (as the 2009 reboot was), and be willing to give up their red-shirt-uniform-clad firstborn to get them.

Fixer808
07-12-2012, 07:36 PM
I dunno, I just feel like it breaks me out of the movie, especially since they'd been building this universe for 50 years! AND OH MY GOD MORE LENS FLARES!

botley
07-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Dammit Jim, I'm a storyteller, not a goddamned documentarian.

REPLICA
07-12-2012, 08:14 PM
I agree with both points you guys are trying to make. Yes, I enjoy the fact that the current movies are shiny in all the right places and sexy in all the wrong ways. Yes, I would love to see more sexy Orion girls in Starfleet with or without uniforms on.

But I also want a Star Trek film that remembers some of the smaller details or past events.

botley
07-12-2012, 08:23 PM
The last Star Trek was full of winking references to past events especially for fanboys, just not in an intrusive way that would disrupt a first-time viewer's enjoyment. I mean, I only just realized that the beagle Scotty accidentally beamed into space belonged to Capt. Archer, from the (horrible) Scott Bakula-era Enterprise.

REPLICA
07-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Well.... Now that you mention that, I actually remembered a few little references too. I know there were a whole lot more references then there were in the later TNG movies.

And not to go off topic but, yes I too thought the Enterprise series was terrible. I did though, enjoy In A Mirror Darkly.

Leman Russ
07-13-2012, 08:00 AM
AND OH MY GOD MORE LENS FLARES!

^This. I think the same thing every time I watch it.

Fixer808
07-13-2012, 04:17 PM
I also hated Karl Urban's forced impersonation of McCoy...

Lutz
07-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Silly bickering over unimportant shit like this is why the Star Trek franchise disappeared up its own arse and was tarred with the "irredemably geeky" brush for decades. Trekkies should by all rights be tripping over their own boners to hear that J.J. Abrams is making their movies more eye-popping, more sexy, more emotionally resonant, more COOL than any they had before (as the 2009 reboot was), and be willing to give up their red-shirt-uniform-clad firstborn to get them.

This seems like a contradiction to me because I thought that Star Trek disappeared after it tried too hard pandering for a new audience while ignoring and loosing it's already inbuilt irredeemably geeky one who the makers considered would watch it regardless.

eversonpoe
07-14-2012, 12:20 PM
I also hated Karl Urban's forced impersonation of McCoy...

wait, what? he was perfect as mccoy!

botley
07-14-2012, 01:25 PM
This seems like a contradiction to me because I thought that Star Trek disappeared after it tried too hard pandering for a new audience while ignoring and loosing it's already inbuilt irredeemably geeky one who the makers considered would watch it regardless.
It is probably true that the team behind the previous decade or so of TV/movies stopped caring about what the hardcore fans thought, but that's far from the only reason it was so full of failure.

Lutz
07-14-2012, 07:59 PM
It is probably true that the team behind the previous decade or so of TV/movies stopped caring about what the hardcore fans thought, but that's far from the only reason it was so full of failure.

I think another reason they lost people is because it developed so far sideways and then so far backward when it should have been going forward. I mean Voyager was happening basically at the same time as DS9 and then DS9 finishes just before the last Next Gen movie. They really explored what everyone was doing everywhere in the galaxy at THAT time. They've kind of made the same mistake in going backward again and they are going to face the same problem on where to take this moving forward because even though resetting the timeline means they're not saddled with strict continuity anymore they are still saddled with the same universe which has already been explored.

REPLICA
07-14-2012, 09:31 PM
WARNING: A little off topic.

I think another reason they lost people is because it developed so far sideways and then so far backward when it should have been going forward.

I know they added on for the comics and the online game but still, I want to watch something on tv. If anything, I would like to see Picard hand over the Enterprise E to someone else or have a whole new crew and ship set sometime after the events of Nemesis.

marodi
07-15-2012, 02:33 PM
I also hated Karl Urban's forced impersonation of McCoy...wait, what? he was perfect as mccoy!

I believe Fixer hates almost everything Karl Urban has ever done. I say "almost" because nobody on the planet is allowed to hate on Eomer.

In other Karl Urban/Star Trek news:

Urban totally trolled Comic Con (http://collider.com/star-trek-2-sequel-footage-comic-con/180730)

I love him.:D

Leman Russ
09-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Star Trek Into Darkness? Am I alone in thinking this is a pretty awful title?

Fixer808
09-11-2012, 09:00 AM
So far you're alone in knowing what the title is! Was it just announced?

But yeah, that sounds worse than "Attack of the Clones"...

marodi
09-11-2012, 09:02 AM
The "facepalm" is meant for the new title. Picard is going to get one massive headache from all the facepalming he'll be doing over this.

That title is beyond ridiculous. "To boldly go where no moronic movie title has gone before"?

edit: Fixer, it was announced yesterday, actually: http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/09/10/star-trek-into-the-darkness-sequel-title/

sentient02970
09-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Lame!! Unless it's implying to guest starring this guy:
http://cdn.necolebitchie.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/CharlieMurphyHGM1.jpg

Leman Russ
09-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Unless I missed something, neither Charlie Murphy nor Wesley Snipes have been cast in the movie.

DF118
09-11-2012, 10:04 PM
I actually really like the title. It's evocative while Star Treky. They're Star Treking. Into Darkness. Boldly going there, presumably.

What's the problem?

Plus you're all stupid.

Leman Russ
09-12-2012, 07:12 AM
I actually really like the title. It's evocative while Star Treky. They're Star Treking. Into Darkness. Boldly going there, presumably.

What's the problem?

Plus you're all stupid.

It'd be like if one of the Star Wars movies was named Star Wars Of The Stars. I get the imagery the title is meant to evoke, but it still sucks.

And you're stupid, stupid. :)

marodi
09-12-2012, 09:28 AM
"Star Trek Into Darkness" = stupid.

"Star Trek:Into Darkness" = slightly less stupid; but just slightly.

aggroculture
09-12-2012, 09:41 AM
I guess it's trying to get you to think again about what the words "star trek" actually mean.
It does sound clunky though, and potentially contains a redundancy: if it's a "star" trek, it's already into "darkness." Unless that "darkness" refers to a darkness that is darker than a usual star trek would be (some unmapped quadrant of the galaxy perhaps?). I guess we'll have to wait and see.

DF118
09-12-2012, 10:00 AM
It'd be like if one of the Star Wars movies was named Star Wars Of The Stars. I get the imagery the title is meant to evoke, but it still sucks.

And you're stupid, stupid. :)

Actually Star Wars Into Darkness would also be okay. Perhaps as video game adaptation or something.

Stupidy stupidy stupid.

sheepdean
09-12-2012, 10:23 AM
I think it's called "into darkness" because the lens flare has been removed, and there is no light left in the universe.

botley
09-12-2012, 11:09 AM
"Star Trek Into Darkness" = stupid.

"Star Trek:Into Darkness" = slightly less stupid; but just slightly.
Actually, the only truly stupid title in the franchise is Star Trek Nemesis [sic].

Leman Russ
09-12-2012, 11:22 AM
I think it's called "into darkness" because the lens flare has been removed, and there is no light left in the universe.

I love this explanation. Maybe this movie takes place before they invent that banana clip visor for Georgie, hence all the darkness.

allegro
09-12-2012, 01:49 PM
I love this explanation. Maybe this movie takes place before they invent that banana clip visor for Georgie, hence all the darkness.

Maybe they're all stuck in the Jefferies Tubes for 2 hours?

Leman Russ
09-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Maybe they're all stuck in the Jefferies Tubes for 2 hours?

Maybe Scotty screws up the dilithium chamber causing a ship-wide power outage for 2 hours?

slave2thewage
09-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Star Trek Into Darkness

Chaos strikes the very heart of the Federation as Uhura has forgotten to pay the electricity bill for the Enterprise for the last three months. Includes a riveting scene where Chekov searches for candles and Spock's emotions come to the forefront when he has to deal with the ultimate nemesis: Customer Support.

DF118
09-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Star Trek Into Darkness

Chaos strikes the very heart of the Federation as Uhura has forgotten to pay the electricity bill for the Enterprise for the last three months. Includes a riveting scene where Chekov searches for candles and Spock's emotions come to the forefront when he has to deal with the ultimate nemesis: Customer Support.

You scoff but half The Next Generation episodes had a power cut on the bridge as a main plot device, so it's not that far fetched. The other half always involved Riker being sucked into another dimension / delusion thing where everything was different and no-one there ever believed him.

sheepdean
09-12-2012, 11:52 PM
You scoff but half The Next Generation episodes had a power cut on the bridge as a main plot device, so it's not that far fetched. The other half always involved Riker being sucked into another dimension / delusion thing where everything was different and no-one there ever believed him.
Or the plot is Riker has sex with something. Maybe he's an ancestor of Captain Jack Harkness?

DF118
09-13-2012, 12:22 AM
Or the plot is Riker has sex with something. Maybe he's an ancestor of Captain Jack Harkness?

Totally, TNGs pilot episode even established that Riker had been sleeping with Troi before the show even began. No wonder he stayed on the Enterprise after being offered his own commission all those times.

Riker's fucking amazing.

Also there's a Who - Trek (http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2012/05/doctor-whos-day-roundup-star-trek-tng-crossover-comic-to-hit-stores/) crossover on the way so the Captain Jack thing is totally plausable now. They need to make this show.

slave2thewage
09-13-2012, 03:20 AM
The plot of "Generations" should've been a South Park-esque whore-off between Kirk and Riker.

sheepdean
09-13-2012, 03:28 AM
Kirk, Riker, Bashir and Paris should have a whore-off, for a chance to be on Vulcan during Pon-Farr.

Actually, I'd totally see that film.

slave2thewage
09-13-2012, 03:53 AM
Kirk, Riker, Bashir and Paris should have a whore-off, for a chance to be on Vulcan during Pon-Farr.

Actually, I'd totally see that film.

The Intendant from the mirror universe would be the referee.

sheepdean
09-13-2012, 04:05 AM
The Intendant from the mirror universe would be the referee.
And Garak would inevitably be the tie breaker.

marodi
09-13-2012, 09:07 AM
And Garak would inevitably be the tie breaker.

And Quark would be taking bets.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
12-03-2012, 08:32 PM
New poster:

http://www.startrek.com.tr/files/images/center_bg.jpg

Conan The Barbarian
12-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Speaking of Riker, You get funny images of Riker.

http://dykab.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/tumblr_kt0ojuQvKB1qzfxk0o1_400.png

LOL Riker

littlemonkey613
12-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Surprised this isn't up yet. SPOILERS if you don't want to know the general synopsis?

"After the crew of the Enterprise find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction."

Holy WOOHOO
This one's official too.

"When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis," reads the synopsis. "With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one-man weapon of mass destruction.
As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew."

Conan The Barbarian
12-04-2012, 10:00 PM
So is it Khan?

Leman Russ
12-05-2012, 07:29 AM
So is it Khan?

Sure hope not

ambergris
12-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Surprised this isn't up yet. SPOILERS if you don't want to know the general synopsis?

"After the crew of the Enterprise find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction."

Holy WOOHOO
This one's official too.

"When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis," reads the synopsis. "With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one-man weapon of mass destruction.
As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew."

Star Trek: Into Darkness.... our trek to the stars leads us to.... our homeworld. Apparently, there's darkness.

redshoewearer
12-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction."

Unlike red matter? or the doomsday machine? I still look forward to it, but the plot doesn't sound that exciting yet. (And I've seen every single show of every Star Trek)

And it is going to be set on Earth? Hmm.
I hope it is good, and that they remember it is the story that counts, and not the special effects of how many starships are blown up.

littlemonkey613
12-06-2012, 02:25 AM
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrekintodarkness/

This here.

Harry Seaward
12-06-2012, 04:20 AM
It only took them like 45 years to make Star Trek remotely watchable. I liked the first one, and this one looks pretty neat too.

sheepdean
12-06-2012, 04:20 AM
They need to find a way to get Cardassians into the AU. If they could get Spock in, they can get Cardassians.

slave2thewage
12-06-2012, 04:50 AM
I REALLY want Cardassians and/or Romulans involved.

sheepdean
12-06-2012, 05:05 AM
Romulans are just angry Vulcans, Enterprise gave us enough of those

marodi
12-06-2012, 09:09 AM

This here.

Meh. Looks like it could be any generic sci-fi story of ohmygawdtheresabadguywithagrudgeattackingpoorlittl eearth. Or maybe it's just me further resisting this reboot of the Star Trek franchise.

I'll see it because of Quinto. And Urban because I do have a soft spot for kiwis.

Still, I think it needs more Species 8472 and, of course, more cowbell.

Fixer808
12-06-2012, 09:22 AM
I'm getting real sick of this whole "teaser for the teaser for the trailer" shit studios are doing. This one at least looked like a teaser trailer and not 40 seconds of recognizable music and then a half a frame of one of the leads followed by the title of the movie.

sentient02970
12-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Abrams has all kinds of opportunity with this franchise now that he's basically rebooted it. So he can fill the plotlines with all kinds of "background" or introduction to all of the stuff Roddenberry and Berman filled in the series. Despite what could be a very generic "Earth crisis" story here, he can do a lot of fun things with re-introducing items that we have come to know from this Trek beast even more since what we saw in his first film.

botley
12-06-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm getting real sick of this whole "teaser for the teaser for the trailer" shit studios are doing. This one at least looked like a teaser trailer and not 40 seconds of recognizable music and then a half a frame of one of the leads followed by the title of the movie.
Clicks on a clearly-labelled link from an easily-avoided Internet site. Complains.

If you want to watch a full trailer and not teasers, why don't you... I dunno, maybe not watch the teasers and wait for a full trailer?

littlemonkey613
12-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Meh. Looks like it could be any generic sci-fi story of ohmygawdtheresabadguywithagrudgeattackingpoorlittl eearth. Or maybe it's just me further resisting this reboot of the Star Trek franchise.

I'll see it because of Quinto. And Urban because I do have a soft spot for kiwis.

Still, I think it needs more Species 8472 and, of course, more cowbell.

I'm pretty sure that his attack of Earth is the movies inciting incident and first act. I think the bulk of the movie is going to take place on an alien planet and will probably be a cat and mouse type game of intellect. That's what the synopsis made it sound like.

Zimbo
12-06-2012, 03:45 PM
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artattack/2012/12/star_trek_into_darkness_has_a.php The Japanese trailer has some additional scenes and the final scene, I won't spoil it, makes me think this is a Khan film.

Deadpool
12-06-2012, 03:59 PM
I am fucking psyched for this. Cumberbatch's voice is something else. Can't wait!

orestes
12-06-2012, 06:09 PM
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artattack/2012/12/star_trek_into_darkness_has_a.php The Japanese trailer has some additional scenes and the final scene, I won't spoil it, makes me think this is a Khan film.

Yeah, the last scene reminds me of Wrath of Khan but I assert that this is not a Khan movie.

slave2thewage
12-06-2012, 07:37 PM
I really like the theory that the large, yellow circular object is this universe's equivalent of the Guardian of Forever.

Clownboat
12-06-2012, 08:06 PM
I trust Abrams with the franchise and all, but if this didn't have the Star Trek name (and admittedly, didn't star Cumberbatch) I wouldn't think much of it. Star Trek is a great franchise with a great premise, but this doesn't feel like Star Trek at all to me. Remove the setting and this looks like the trailer for any other hyped up actiony sci-fi flick.

I don't mean to sound like a downer, though. I really can't wait to see this, but it's important for me to keep it all in check. :)

(I really love the movie title)

sheepdean
12-06-2012, 08:56 PM
My money is firmly on Gary Mitchell for the position, because it would make sense chronologically. Though I really, REALLY hope that the third film is The Menagerie, because they have Pike and it's such a fucking good episode.

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
12-06-2012, 09:49 PM
BWONNNNNGG!!

BWONNNNNGG!!

BWONNNNNGG!!

BWONNNNNGG!!

is pretty much all I'm getting out of this teaser.

Fixer808
12-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Clicks on a clearly-labelled link from an easily-avoided Internet site. Complains.

If you want to watch a full trailer and not teasers, why don't you... I dunno, maybe not watch the teasers and wait for a full trailer?
That wasn't my point, it's the fact that they're making trailers for trailers, or the fact that when you go on apple.com's trailer site you get those "HOLY SHIT, 10 DAYS UNTIL THE FIRST TRAILER!!" videos. Just give us a trailer so we can be excited about the movie!

EDIT: Prometheus was extremely culpable in this instance...

botley
12-07-2012, 08:29 AM
Just give us a trailer so we can be excited about the movie!

They ARE doing that. No one is forcing you to look at anything else. Just stay away from the transparent marketing hype if it bothers you. Excercise your self-control and don't click on anything that's not a real trailer.

Leman Russ
12-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Trailer looks badass, and Cumberbatch sounds awesome in the voice over. I too stumbled upon the Japanese trailer, and love the extra footage at the end.

I can't wait to find out why there are seemingly two Federation ships emerging from water.

sheepdean
12-07-2012, 08:54 AM
I thought that was Enterprise going in, and Enterprise coming out?

Leman Russ
12-07-2012, 11:47 AM
I thought that was Enterprise going in, and Enterprise coming out?

Could be, but they looked like different ships imo

blackholesun
12-07-2012, 11:55 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Q6yrnIWORgM/Tt__BYQQ5UI/AAAAAAAABIc/IzvpGwM_euk/s400/The%2BWreath%2Bof%2BKhan.jpg

orestes
12-16-2012, 07:43 PM
So who watched the 9-minute prologue before The Hobbit?

Fixer808
12-16-2012, 08:31 PM
The what now? I haven't seen The Hobbit yet, so I hope it's attached!

orestes
12-16-2012, 10:24 PM
The first nine minutes of the movie.

Fixer808
12-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Yes, I know what a prologue is... ;)
I just didn't know they were doing it for this! But from what I hear it's only for the IMAX 3D version, so I'll wait until I see it online, I suppose...

orestes
12-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Yes, it's only for IMAX 3D and yes, it's already up on youtube. ;)

Fixer808
12-16-2012, 11:14 PM
21st century!!

orestes
12-17-2012, 05:25 PM
New trailer dropped this morning!

october_midnight
12-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Saw it this morning. HOLY CRAP. Gonna be an opening-nighter fo sho.

marodi
12-17-2012, 06:14 PM
*must not be debbie downer (cue sad trombone)*

Yay, new trailer!

Tall villain with dark hair and blue eyes in a glass prison: where have I seen that before?

Fixer808
12-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Woooah. This may not be their take on Wrath of Khan, but it IS going to have the vibe of it, by which I mean they're going to constantly have the under hand and EVERYTHING is gonna go completely tits-up for the crew- and Starfleet in general. The shot of the Enterprise crashing into the water makes me think we're gonna get a little ST:III action going on as well...

sentient02970
12-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Nuclear Wessels and everything?

eversonpoe
12-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Nuclear Wessels and everything?

that's Star Trek IV :p

Fixer808
12-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Haha, yeah, I was talking more about this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeLqsvFO31o
That whole scene still gives me chills, wish it didn't cut off before Kirk and McCoy's exchange...

orestes
12-17-2012, 10:42 PM
The prologue was bloody fantastic! I had to laugh a little at Bones' remark to Kirk. :p

Leman Russ
12-18-2012, 08:02 AM
I would love to see the prologue, but I have no fondness for The Hobbit, and I don't think it's playing in my city anyways. DAMN YOU

sheepdean
12-18-2012, 08:06 AM
Why is Chekov in red

sentient02970
12-18-2012, 08:57 AM
that's Star Trek IV :p

aw fuck me up the mugato ass! duh!

october_midnight
12-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Viral website URL found in the trailer: www.areyouthe1701.com

orestes
12-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Meet John Harrison

http://25.media.tumblr.com/3f2e2a648f4ac064bf38e13f77f4c646/tumblr_mfjpvzu6DW1qgopjqo2_1280.png

Fixer808
12-24-2012, 05:55 PM
I like his coat.

think i'm a fire engine
12-25-2012, 09:23 AM
I'm pretty relieved that he's not Khan.

orestes
02-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Super Bowl commercial that just aired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mu07BaOx9c

aggroculture
02-04-2013, 10:52 PM
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/6ec301e0aa/it-s-spock-do-you-care-with-zachary-quinto?playlist=featured_videos

orestes
02-07-2013, 11:43 AM
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=100042]Five new images from the movie.

Fixer808
02-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Super Bowl commercial that just aired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mu07BaOx9c
Woah, the Enterprise dropping out of orbit looks pretty cool, albeit familiar ;p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIniweFOthM...

orestes
02-07-2013, 03:43 PM
If anyone posts info from the EW cover story, I will fucking slay you.

(Photos are fine but the magazine possibly dropped a HUGE spoiler in its cover story.)

ltrandazzo
02-07-2013, 09:59 PM
http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/sp/image/1348/49/1348494191788.jpg

Conan The Barbarian
02-07-2013, 11:02 PM
The covers don't really reveal anything you could get of IMDB.

Fixer808
02-08-2013, 01:02 AM
orestes Looks like it may be a good idea to stay out of this thread altogether... I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

orestes
02-08-2013, 01:09 AM
Why? This forum has a pretty straight forward rule on spoilers.

Fixer808
02-08-2013, 01:12 AM
Why? This forum has a pretty straight forward rule on spoilers.
Tell it to Tony.

marodi
02-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Tell it to Tony.

The irony being that Tony is the one who posted the thread concerning spoilers.

And concerning the EW possible spoiler: it's really nothing new, is it? It's something that was talked about as soon as the news of the movie being made came out. And the way I saw it (EW's cover), it's still just speculations.

orestes
02-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Tell it to Tony.

Umm, no. Posting a cryptic photo isn't the same at outright posting spoilers from an unreleased movie.
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz168/MsKirkette/Bones%20McCoy%20TOS%20stills/bonesTMP.jpg

Regardless, it's a moot point since this "spoiler" has been called a mislabel, hmmm.

ltrandazzo
02-08-2013, 08:44 PM
It's been debunked longer than the explanation of the mistake. Regardless, thanks for entertaining me for a day, everyone!

Fixer808
02-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Jokes, people, I'm kidding!

orestes
03-09-2013, 06:59 PM
New teaser trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWWr2wE5Myg

redshoewearer
03-10-2013, 10:41 AM
^^^ The small glimpse of Cumberbatch in it made him look like a Bajoran the way his nose wrinkled up but I guess that's not the case.

october_midnight
03-21-2013, 11:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhz4A5BCMAA&feature=youtu.be

Fixer808
03-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Holy... this thing is looking better and better!

ambergris
03-21-2013, 11:30 AM
I have to admit...I'm getting a little tired of terrorism plots.

GibbonBlack
03-21-2013, 12:05 PM
I have to admit...I'm getting a little tired of terrorism plots.

and it looks as though it has a whole "he let us catch him as part of his dastardly plan" plot

marodi
03-21-2013, 12:23 PM
and it looks as though it has a whole "he let us catch him as part of his dastardly plan" plot

Don't forget the shot of the villain being escorted down a hallway surrounded by guards before they stick him in a glass cage while a couple of science bros are studying his awesome Glow Stick Of Destiny... Oh wait...

Please Great Bird of the Galaxy, let this movie be fantastic!

sheepdean
03-21-2013, 12:26 PM
Star Trek is becoming Star Wars under JJ. Brent Spiner needs to direct the next one.

Deadpool
03-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Star Trek is becoming Star Wars under JJ.

Very true. This is also the reason I loved the last movie and why I'm so excited for Into Darkness.

The whole "I wanted to be captured!" thing is a frustrating cliche´ (and I think its use in The Avengers was pretty murky at best), so I'm hoping it makes more sense in this movie. Anyway, I love the new trailer and I think this is going to be an opening night IMAX adventure for me. IMAX 12:01 exclusive poster please?

littlemonkey613
03-21-2013, 03:22 PM

Lol the first 20 seconds of that trailer is literally a sci-fi version of Skyfall. IN LONDON EVEN

dlb
03-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Saw the trailer today at the cinema and while it indeed did remind me of Skyfall at first I'm pretty psyched. Especially about Cumberbatch. He definitely makes quite an impact in the new trailer, that's for sure.

As I've avoided anything Star Trek for the greater part of my live: Is the first J.J. movie worth watching or necessary before I go see the new one in May?

Conan The Barbarian
03-24-2013, 05:10 PM
Well, you might as well go check it out. I wont think there will have to be any sort of connection. Maybe for character development. The first one is a cool movie so it wont disappoint.

orestes
04-11-2013, 07:45 PM
IMAX Fan Sneak Peek tickets went onsale yesterday for May 15th.

sheepdean
04-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Saw the trailer today at the cinema and while it indeed did remind me of Skyfall at first I'm pretty psyched. Especially about Cumberbatch. He definitely makes quite an impact in the new trailer, that's for sure.

As I've avoided anything Star Trek for the greater part of my live: Is the first J.J. movie worth watching or necessary before I go see the new one in May?The characters are starkly different from the original show, so even if you know them a bit from that, seeing the first one is a good idea imo

slave2thewage
04-27-2013, 11:18 PM
New trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAEkuVgt6Aw

Also, a warning: the Wikipedia page has a full plot summary up that's apparently legit. Holy spoilers.

Fixer808
04-28-2013, 01:33 AM
I will be avoiding that page like the plague for a few weeks. And this new trailer HOLY HELL!!! Shit's gonna get RIZZEAL.

REPLICA
04-28-2013, 02:14 AM
I read that page… Sadly I wish I didn't but yet, I am glad I did. Hopefully it will surprise me no mater what.

littlemonkey613
05-09-2013, 01:29 AM
Movie was awesome. I would say continued and equal quality of the first. It feels like another fantastic episode of a show you only get to watch every 4 years. I still like the first better but not because I think its a better film.

This one is just as emotionally poignant and even more thematically complex.

The pace is relentless (in a good way from where I'm standing). I could see how it might turn people off but man it was actually like an awesome non-stop ride, and not in the intellectually insulting way that the Transformers movies are.

My favorite aspect of the movie is how it incorporates death as something that is actually real. I haven't actually felt fearful for the demise of characters in an action movie for a long long time.

slave2thewage
05-10-2013, 05:41 PM
15 hours until I see it!

Hazekiah
05-11-2013, 12:36 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/936991_10151439013967297_192077232_n.jpg

I meant to tell everyone this was gonna happen on tonight's episode of "Real Time with Bill Maher" but I passed out early and slept in until the encore broadcast. So I missed the live "Overtime with Bill Maher" chat afterward, too. Anyway, they talked a bit about the movie and Quinto was a great fucking guest and it was a very entertaining appearance.

Videos forthcoming as soon as they make their way to YouTube.

:)

slave2thewage
05-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Spock is such a bitch in this.

It was good, but not brilliant. It felt more like a collection of set-pieces with a few connecting scenes. There were a few nice references to the original universe - I would post my favourite, but it's a big spoiler. Also, man-tears at one point.

ltrandazzo
05-11-2013, 02:29 PM
I just posted a spoiler tag to the title of the thread, so spoil away! I'm personally staying away until Wednesday night.

slave2thewage
05-11-2013, 03:01 PM
KHANNNNNNNNNNNN!!!

I almost died laughing that they managed to use that line.

liquidcalm
05-11-2013, 03:31 PM
really really enjoyed it. Loved the stunned silence in the cinema when Cumberbatch uttered "Khan" the first time. I didn't think it was possible to do two good Star Trek movies in a row.

slave2thewage
05-11-2013, 03:58 PM
I had a few murmured "oooh"s at the reveal at my showing. I already knew thanks to that frigging Wikipedia update, plus a flurry of "KHAAAANNN" statuses on my Facebook feed on Thursday night would've given the game away.

slave2thewage
05-11-2013, 09:10 PM
I think the enemy in Star Trek 13 should be Garak in a swan-shaped spaceship, zapping planets with a pink ray and making demands for chocolates and sewing tools.

Hazekiah
05-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Well godfuckingdamnit.

I just came in here to post a snippet from Zachary Quinto's appearance on "Real Time with Bill Maher" and without even trying to read any of the posts I wound up with a MASSIVE fucking spoiler.

Yaaaaay.

-_-

Anyway, the rest of his appearance doesn't seem to have made it online yet, but here's a fun li'l bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fP2bJeyQX0

slave2thewage
05-12-2013, 12:19 PM
"Spoilers" tag in the title. Deal with it.

My geek has come out after seeing this. Just after watching "In the Pale Moonlight" and half-wishing they'd made a DS9 movie, although the beauty of the DS9 finale was that it really seemed final. Half the cast ended up dead or separated or just "gone".

Lutz
05-13-2013, 05:18 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/936991_10151439013967297_192077232_n.jpg

I meant to tell everyone this was gonna happen on tonight's episode of "Real Time with Bill Maher" but I passed out early and slept in until the encore broadcast. So I missed the live "Overtime with Bill Maher" chat afterward, too. Anyway, they talked a bit about the movie and Quinto was a great fucking guest and it was a very entertaining appearance.

Videos forthcoming as soon as they make their way to YouTube.

:)

Man he looks like he aged a hundred years since he was in BODY DOUBLE.

Hazekiah
05-13-2013, 05:38 AM
WAT

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsW/17991-13756.gif

Well, that wasn't Bill Maher, for starters...

http://trialx.com/curetalk/wp-content/blogs.dir/7/files/2011/04/gcelebrities/Craig_Wasson-3.jpg

:P

Hula
05-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Anyone who was surprised by the reveal was obviously lucky enough to avoid any articles that came out around the time Cumberbatch was announced in connection with the movie.

Clownboat
05-13-2013, 09:55 AM
I just posted a spoiler tag to the title of the thread, so spoil away! I'm personally staying away until Wednesday night.
Can you put it at the beginning of the title or something, dude? On the main page, you can't see the "SPOILER" part of it, so I clicked it to take me right to the thread (not expecting spoilers) and the first fucking thing I see is @slave2thewage (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=89) posting right after you in big fuckoff letters. Really shitty.

edit: pic

Hazekiah
05-13-2013, 10:05 AM
^ THANK YOU!

Although, to be fair, I still remember when pix of Cumberbatch besting Spock in hand-to-hand combat leaked about a year ago and we were all, "Phfft, guess it's obvious who THAT must be," lol.

Even with the leak, you've gotta admit they did a pretty damned good job with the disinformation campaign that followed.

>:)

slave2thewage
05-13-2013, 04:16 PM
Anyone who was surprised by the reveal was obviously lucky enough to avoid any articles that came out around the time Cumberbatch was announced in connection with the movie.
And the reveal is such a non-issue in the movie itself.

sheepdean
05-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Better than the previous one, still not as good as ST:TMP
Section 31 is one of my favourite parts of the Star Trek universe, so it was so awesome to see it on the big screen - plus, I totally called that it would exist from the last film.
Uhura please hook up with Scotty for Prime Universe canon to be restored
NEEDLESS UNDERWEAR WAS NEEDLESS FUCK UUUU ABRAHHHHMS
Khan. Is. Not. White.
Why did Khan hide his bros in the missiles that made no sense
Deus ex Machina in saving Kirk, just don’t kill him in the first place PURELY for a ST:WOK ref
Did Noel Clarke have more than like, 3 words? Great to see him in the film but I wish he’d been more fleshed out. Though that scene was fantastic and really done, so still happy.
Why was Carol English?
For that matter, I’ll repeat why was Khan English?
How was Scotty not detected when sneaking in
How did Jupiter station not notice the fucking huge ship? Section 31 is usually more covert.
Flippy communicators yayyyyyy
Overall, actually not a bad film, but still not Trek - not yet. It’s getting there though.

I think the enemy in Star Trek 13 should be Garak in a swan-shaped spaceship, zapping planets with a pink ray and making demands for chocolates and sewing tools.I would literally break down in tears at the perfection of it all.

heroicraptor
05-15-2013, 10:11 PM
I thought it was really good.

orestes
05-15-2013, 11:21 PM
Just got home from a fan sneak peek 3D IMAX screening. In all the flurry over the Khan umm, reveal, people have yet to bring up the design of the Klingons. I'm surprised I'm not seeing any arguments over it yet.

Anyhow, I know I said repeatedly in this thread that Cumberbatch wasn't playing Khan in this movie but whatever. There were enough clues sprinkled throughout the movie that by the time he revealed his true identity, I was like *sigh* okay. :confused: Don't get me wrong, I thought Cumberbatch was an excellent foil against the Enterprise. I just wish he had been anybody but Khan, even though he played the character brilliantly. Does this make sense? Maybe this will sit right with an explanation from JJ. Maybe.

And god dammit was I silently sobbing near the end.

Also, got this really nice poster for attending the screening:
http://cdn1.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Star-Trek-Into-Darkness-IMAX-Fanfix-print.jpg

ltrandazzo
05-15-2013, 11:49 PM
CUMBERBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATCH!!!

Bloody excellent movie. I love that we got to see Khan as not just a power hungry mad man, but a strong, genetically modified one at that. And Leonard Nimoy! Totally wasn't expecting that but it was awesome that he had a cameo. Excellent work.

I like how the reveal came midway through the movie (probably even before that point) so it didn't turn into a guessing game with 15 minutes left where the audience already figured it out. The crowd let out a great applause when the sentence "My name is KHAN." So so good. I fucking loved this movie and I fucking love this series.

More - The more Simon Pegg gets screen time, the more I love his Scotty. John Cho OWNED his turn in the Captain's chair. Uhura was such a badass. Anton Yelchin was charming. Karl Urban IS Dr. McCoy. Same with Zachary Quinto and Chris Pine being Spock and Kirk. Peter Weller was a dick.

orestes
05-16-2013, 12:02 AM
Yes, Sulu was badass as acting captain and I swear, I didn't recognize Peter Weller until the end credits rolled.

slave2thewage
05-16-2013, 04:48 AM
I sniggered at "Sulu is a good man, but he's no captain."

I DON'T SEE YOU DRINKING TEA IN THE CAPTAIN'S CHAIR IN THE FUTURE, DOCTOR.

xmp3x
05-16-2013, 05:15 AM
Star Trek is becoming Star Wars under JJ. Brent Spiner needs to direct the next one.

Haven't seen this latest one yet, but I would be in favor of this. Or, why not Shatner or Nimoy? Shatner himself has written some Star Trek fiction , hasn't he?

sheepdean
05-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Haven't seen this latest one yet, but I would be in favor of this. Or, why not Shatner or Nimoy? Shatner himself has written some Star Trek fiction , hasn't he?
You really want another Star Trek V?

Mr. Blaileen
05-16-2013, 10:33 PM
I will post more thoughts on this later; but overall I thought ST:ID was a fucking awesome movie.

xmp3x
05-17-2013, 12:08 AM
You really want another Star Trek V?

...nah. I would like something that doesn't reek of every other action movie though. Is there anyone who was involved in the facilitation of Star Trek through the years consulting now?

I'm not trying to judge something before I see it, but I did see the first one. The latest movies are cool to watch, but I just feel that these movies fade into the flashy action movies of the past number of years to be forgotten about. Just a little opinion. I'll have to check it out myself.

AgentofChaos
05-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Liked it quite a bit. Very solid. Still slightly favour the first installment surprisingly, but this was a perfect blend of a well paced action packed story, subtle humour, and great effects (watching the enterprise warp in IMAX was extremely cool). The cast is so perfect. Bones was a fucking riot. Wish JJ wasn't abandoning this franchise. I feel he's very well suited here and should at least finish a third film before turning it over to someone else.

Also, was fine with Spock's "Khannnnn" delivery. No issues there whatsoever.

Kid Charlemagne
05-18-2013, 11:48 AM
I had Kahn spoiled for me two days before the movie came out, so I was a bit bummed, but the movie had so much more to keep under wraps. Nimoy coming back was solid, Kirk's "death" (ala Wrath of Kahn), KLINGONS!, TRIBBLES!!!! I pretty much enjoyed it and Cumberbatch was excellent. I nearly forgot he was Kahn until he reveals his true identity near the midpoint of the film. The chemistry between Pine/Quinto is underrated too, especially near the beginning when there playing off each other is just terrific, because you can sense the tension of their relationship and when Kirk "dies" I nearly teared up of the moment him and Spock shared, it was surprising and sweet and emotional. I loved it, can't wait to see it again.

orestes
05-18-2013, 10:50 PM
Life ruiner. (http://fuckyeahgodofmischief.tumblr.com/post/50783222528/runningawaywithaspaceman-im-scared-spock)

redshoewearer
05-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Just got home from a fan sneak peek 3D IMAX screening. In all the flurry over the Khan umm, reveal, people have yet to bring up the design of the Klingons. I'm surprised I'm not seeing any arguments over it yet.

Anyhow, I know I said repeatedly in this thread that Cumberbatch wasn't playing Khan in this movie but whatever. There were enough clues sprinkled throughout the movie that by the time he revealed his true identity, I was like *sigh* okay. :confused: Don't get me wrong, I thought Cumberbatch was an excellent foil against the Enterprise. I just wish he had been anybody but Khan, even though he played the character brilliantly. Does this make sense? Maybe this will sit right with an explanation from JJ. Maybe.

I agree - I liked Cumberbatch as the villain (and honestly I kept hoping that he'd been somehow rehabilitated in this new timeline, and that he wasn't as villainous as he did turn out to be), and wish he'd been someone else besides Khan, but I liked his Khan better than Montalban's. I'd like to see him come back in the next film and join the good guys. Obviously the door is open for a return of some sort.

Klingon design - maybe people have gotten used to Klingon 'redesign', esp. if someone's seen Enterprise, in which there is an explanation of why the Klingons' appearance changed so much.

With the Kirk/Spock death scene, with the reprise of the WOK scene, I just kept thinking 'oh no you didn't'. 'You did not seriously just kill Kirk. Did you?' For a moment I actually started wondering if Chris Pine had wanted out. It was a poignant scene. And then tribbles and all that. It is in keeping with the Star Trek tradition of who will we almost kill this week.

slave2thewage
05-19-2013, 06:49 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/e585be4e279cf7d1496bc273961317ff/tumblr_mmz8itVI981rvvj1ho3_250.gif

OH GOD. Here come the tears again.

thelastdisciple
05-19-2013, 07:52 PM
What's funny about the whole Section 31 stuff is Peter Weller could totally pass for playing the role of Sloan. role

orestes
05-19-2013, 08:10 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/e585be4e279cf7d1496bc273961317ff/tumblr_mmz8itVI981rvvj1ho3_250.gif

OH GOD. Here come the tears again.

Between this and screen grabs from yesterday's Doctor Who finale, tumblr is leaving me a mess.

sheepdean
05-19-2013, 08:27 PM
What's funny about the whole Section 31 stuff is Peter Weller could totally pass for playing the role of Sloan. role
What's kinda confusing is he's already played a Big Bad in Trek - and as it was in Enterprise, the events of those episodes are still canon. So, the Admiral looks exactly like a dude who wanted to commit massive terrorist attacks.
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/John_Frederick_Paxton

thelastdisciple
05-19-2013, 09:11 PM
What's kinda confusing is he's already played a Big Bad in Trek - and as it was in Enterprise, the events of those episodes are still canon. So, the Admiral looks exactly like a dude who wanted to commit massive terrorist attacks.
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/John_Frederick_Paxton
Heh yeah that is pretty weird but i guess that just goes to show you how much they liked reusing actors in the Star Trek franchise, i haven't seen all of Enterprise yet so i didn't make that connection but yeah it's the same thing with Cromwell too discounting Jaglom Shrek and Hanok since there was a lot of makeup involved there to make them distinguishable from other characters but i mean the difference between Zefram Cochrane and Prime Minister Nayrok outside of wardrobe and age is pretty slim.

sheepdean
05-19-2013, 09:20 PM
It just feels odd to have such major characters looking SO similar, normally repeat actors either have heavy costume and effect changes, or have aged enough not to notice.

Jinsai
05-20-2013, 12:32 AM
They should have let Kirk die. That would be so much more powerful. Aaaaand, if they want to continue the series, go ahead and do the same thing that Star Trek III did... you can resurrect him later. But this movie would have ended on such a greater note if Kirk died

sheepdean
05-20-2013, 12:39 AM
They should have let Kirk die. That would be so much more powerful. Aaaaand, if they want to continue the series, go ahead and do the same thing that Star Trek III did... you can resurrect him later. But this movie would have ended on such a greater note if Kirk died
They couldn't resurrect Kirk, he's human. The best way to have done it would've been to have Pike die there instead of Kirk, and then not save him. Same people alive at the end but the death is more meaningful.

thelastdisciple
05-20-2013, 12:57 AM
So they're starting their 5 year voyage.

I bet it'll be about that long until we see the follow up, but i can be wrong.

I guess it all depends on who'll replace J.J on the next film unless he said that he still wants to do more? it'd have to wait until after Star Wars though obviously.

Then again i can't see Paramount sitting on it for too long either, there's that $$$ that needs to be earned and these movies are pulling it in.

Jinsai
05-20-2013, 01:28 AM
They couldn't resurrect Kirk, he's human.

This is science fiction. You can do whatever the hell you want, and sound nerdy smart while justifying it. Did you miss the part where they resurrected Kirk in the movie we are talking about because they cryo froze him and fed him Kahn's blood?

I'll admit it though, it's hard to sound smart while explaining that plot point.

slave2thewage
05-20-2013, 12:54 PM
So they're starting their 5 year voyage.

I bet it'll be about that long until we see the follow up, but i can be wrong.
The rumours are that Paramount wants it for the franchise's 50th anniversary in 2016.

Also, was it just me or did they make it kinda obvious that Klingons will be the focus of the next one?

sheepdean
05-20-2013, 01:01 PM
I really hope we get Andorians back - from the fact Klingons have been in the first one (deleted scenes) AND this one, I feel they'll be the baddies, unless they get the Cardassians (please be Cardassians)

dlb
05-20-2013, 02:31 PM
So I finally saw it and I really liked it. Like I said, I am and never will be a fan of Star Trek, but I liked all the minor references that I could recognize and of course Cumberbatch was amazing. I have to agree that the pacing was relentless and made time go by so quick. That movie was definately a fun and worthwhile ride and I really loved the chemistry between Spock and Kirk.

My only major gripe is with the ending as I think they handled Khan way to fast while he was presuamably so dangerous at first and I would have liked a longer manhunt for him (Harrison) at the beginning of the film.

But yeah, I throughly enjoyed it and felt that the whole crew really connected with each other which was a pleasure to watch. If these movies are any indication of what the new Star Wars flicks will be, than I'm quite hopefull. As of now, the new Star Trek movies beat the hell out of the new Star Wars flicks.

thelastdisciple
05-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Ugh, that stupid io9 article that just popped up ripping on the movie absolutely makes my blood boil.

marodi
05-20-2013, 05:35 PM
Ugh, that stupid io9 article that just popped up ripping on the movie absolutely makes my blood boil.

Why? I thought they had some good points. Especially this one:

No, I’m just angry. When the movie was announced, Abrams and whoever clearly stated that Cumberbatch would be playing a canon Trek character, and everybody guessed it was Khan. Then they promised he wasn’t playing Khan. And then they said Cumberbatch’s character’s name was John Harrison, even though there’s no previous Trek character named John Harrison, and again we knew it was Khan. And they tried to make it this whole big mystery as if we were all morons who had some how forgotten a classic Trek character named John Harrison, like they were actually going to pull one over on us when we were telling them over an over again that we knew it was Khan and the only thing they were accomplishing by denying it was 1) being assholes and 2) insulting our intelligence.

Here's the article in question (http://io9.com/star-trek-into-darkness-the-spoiler-faq-508927844)

The movie does have flaws but it's still pretty enjoyable.

sheepdean
05-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Lying about it being Khan and Khan being white were the two biggest failings from the film's production for sure

thelastdisciple
05-20-2013, 06:22 PM
It's just the tone of the article overall that sets me off, we suddenly live in this HATE EVERYTHING realm because there are those that just get way too bent out over things in a work of bloody fiction.

There's no rhyme or reason for HALF of the things that happen in the Star Trek universe yet you'll find someone always complaining about how that starship shouldn't be able to be underwater and bullshit like that. Oh REALLY?! please tell me about how fucking red matter is so much more plausible, please tell me how Spock can put his hand on your face and connect with you psychologically, get off your fucking high horses you damn dirty internet bloggers you!

If you take the time to always over analyze and nit pick every little god damned thing sooner or later you'll have just built up a fucking impenetrable cocoon over your brain that keeps you from enjoying anything.

I get that the film is flawed believe me i can recognize this but holy fucking moly if there aren't some douchers out there flapping their ass cheeks for the sake of it.

slave2thewage
05-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Remember when it turned out there was a one-line character in TOS called John Harrison? Those trolls.

richardp
05-20-2013, 06:48 PM
David Chen's /film list is also a bunch of bullshit. Chen sucks and is so in love with himself that it bothers the shit out of me that he has the balls to pretend that an article about the 5 things that he hated about STID is actually news worthy. Fuck off and go watch How To Train Your Dragons some more.

Jinsai
05-20-2013, 07:01 PM
I don't know why someone's giving the filmmakers flack for being coy about the plot twist. I'm glad I didn't know it was Khan walking into the movie. That would be like giving Irvin Kirshner shit for not being up front about the identity of Luke Skywalker's dad.

thelastdisciple
05-20-2013, 07:10 PM
That's just like I don't recall people giving Christopher Nolan shit for denying Talia being in The Dark Knight Rises and that Marion Cotillard wasn't playing her, and low and behold SHE WAS!

richardp
05-21-2013, 12:38 AM
No people definitely gave him shit about it, but it wasn't as big of a deal as people are making out with STID. It's like people just refuse to allow themselves an ounce of surprise nowadays. I knew the rumors, but still, seeing it confirmed on-screen was fucking awesome.

sheepdean
05-21-2013, 12:53 AM
I'm mainly mad because I was really hoping for Gary Mitchell

Fixer808
05-22-2013, 12:40 AM
Just got back from it and really enjoyed it! I meticulously avoided spoilers, but had a hunch it would be Khan, but still had chills run up my spine when he announced it. Disliked the design of the Klingon ships but didn't mind the look of the Klingons themselves, and Khan going straight murder on them was BADASS.

I was surprised that he was more than a match for Spock, but I suppose as a genetically perfect, advanced human with Starfleet special forces training, he'd be able to wipe the floor with just about anyone.

Jinsai
05-22-2013, 01:20 AM
Khan going straight murder on them was BADASS.

I had to bite my tongue to keep from cheering during that scene.

marodi
05-22-2013, 01:07 PM
I'd like to point out that I'm not mad about the whole Khan thing. It didn't take away any of the fun ride that the movie is; not for me anyway. But part of me wishes that Abrams and Lindelof had said from the beginning: "yeah, we're sort of remaking Wrath of Khan. Deal with it, bitches!" Instead, they spent energy denying it when it was obvious to some (okay, a lot) of people that it was. Khan is the seminal TOS villain; it could not have been anyone else. That's how I saw it anyway.

That being said, I really enjoyed the movie; despite my attempts to resist the reboot. I could rave for pages about how perfect Zachary Quinto is as Spock and, surprisingly, how Karl Urban has managed to capture the spirit of McCoy. The movie has its flaws yes but they weren't enough to stop me from having a heck of a time watching it.

However, I find myself wishing that the next movies will be their own things, with new characters and new storylines. They've successfully establish this reboot as being in an alternate universe in the first movie which gives them pretty much carte blanche to where they want to take it so hey; why not embrace that to the fullest? Take risks, people; this is what the original Star Trek was about anyway.

I'm mainly mad because I was really hoping for Gary Mitchell

I saw all of TOS as a kid (because I'm very old) and that episode scared the living daylight out of me.

orestes
05-22-2013, 01:37 PM
I had to bite my tongue to keep from cheering during that scene.

The one thing I liked about Khan, and Cumberbatch, in particular, was how action-y he was in this movie.

sheepdean
05-22-2013, 06:55 PM
The one thing I liked about Khan, and Cumberbatch, in particular, was how action-y he was in this movie.
See, I'm not a huge fan of action films - my favourite Trek film is the first one, and I generally avoid action films that have low substance. But with a JJ production and a modern Hollywood film, I doubt I'm getting another slow, cerebral Trek film.

orestes
05-22-2013, 07:51 PM
You must be a fan of Star Trek: The Motion Picture​. ;)

sheepdean
05-22-2013, 08:29 PM
You must be a fan of Star Trek: The Motion Picture​. ;)

my favourite Trek film is the first one

Reading comprehension these days :P

But I really do love it, it's such a beautiful film, and just works so well as a piece, with no attempt to make 400 sequels or a marketable marshmallow dispenser

Deadpool
05-24-2013, 12:02 AM
Into Darkness would have been a more powerful, ballsy movie if Kirk stayed dead. I really thought that was going to happen for a few minutes there! I'm not angry how it turned out, though - in some ways, we got the best of both worlds - the "death" just would have had more weight. That said, I loved how that inversion made Spock the hero of the final act. I kinda screamed when he pulled out the death grip on Khan (how cool was that?), and involuntarily threw my fist into the air when he broke Khan's arm.

Cumberbatch was pretty great. Very scary. Banna was cool in the first one, but we got the villain we really deserved with Into Darkness. Khan/Harrison was a total badass, and easy to root for when he teamed up with the Enterprise - that brief team-change made his ultimate, certain villainy even cooler - it wasn't until he re-asserted his own agenda that I really felt scared of him. Very cool.

slave2thewage
05-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Am I the only one who thought there was barely any McCoy or Chekov in this?

october_midnight
08-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Looks like JJ Abrams is out of Star Trek 3. (http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2013/08/just-how-different-could-post-jj-abrams-star-trek-look/68018/)

Millionaire
08-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Looks like JJ Abrams is out of Star Trek 3. (http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2013/08/just-how-different-could-post-jj-abrams-star-trek-look/68018/)
The replacements they're consider, John Chu and Rupert Wyatt, seem like safe choices to me, guys who've done big budget films before and won't rock the studio boat. They'd probably do an alright job, but I liked the left field choice Abrams made of Brad Bird doing the last Mission Impossible. That resulted in what I think is the best entry in that series. I'd like to see someone who can put his stamp on Trek, like a Neill Blomkamp or a Duncan Jones. I think they would take it in a more interesting direction.

Harry Seaward
08-23-2013, 01:16 AM
Apparently this movie is on iTunes and therefore the bay.

theburningreptile
08-24-2013, 07:57 PM
Watched this for the first time last night. Really, really liked it. I thought Benedict was great as Khan. Also watching this film has sparked in interest in Star Trek for me. I have the original series' on my list on Netflix. Along with the movies that are on there and i'm getting the Stardate collection when it comes out. Really excited. Currently watching the documentary Trekkie's. I have to see if there is a Star Trek convention by me, and try to go to one, one day. :D

marodi
08-29-2013, 12:04 PM
Watched it again yesterday and I loved it even more.

Cumberbatch really was wonderful as Khan but my heart still belong to Quinto as Spock. The sequel needs more Bones and like many have said before me, I would also adwise more Chekov. He bring so much life to the wessel.