PDA

View Full Version : Evanescence

Malechite
11-25-2011, 08:10 PM
Haters gonna gate, but the new Self-Titled Evanescence album is actually pretty great.

ltrandazzo
11-25-2011, 08:12 PM
So much hate.

Malechite
11-25-2011, 08:26 PM
So much hate.
like i said... :)

JessicaSarahS
11-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Kinda Kelly Clarkson-ish, yeah?

Malechite
11-26-2011, 09:43 AM
Kinda Kelly Clarkson-ish, yeah?

Errr Really?

NotoriousTIMP
11-27-2011, 06:25 AM
they're still around? I thought I read somewhere that they called it quits a few years back. Did the reform or was that all BS?

darktemplar007
11-27-2011, 09:44 PM
they're still around? I thought I read somewhere that they called it quits a few years back. Did the reform or was that all BS?
I think it was some members leaving, which really didn't change anything.

I do enjoy their first album, not gonna lie, but their second was terrible. Haven't heard the newest, but I have heard it's keyboard/orchestral elements are really good, but the rest is generic nu-metal simple guitar riff crap.

Malechite
11-27-2011, 09:56 PM
but their second was terrible.

Yeah thats why I was pleasantly surprised with the latest one.

darktemplar007
11-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Yeah thats why I was pleasantly surprised with the latest one.

So it is an improvement? I'll have to check it out then, here's hoping it captures some of what I love from the first album.

JessicaSarahS
11-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Errr Really?

Yeah. I think the latest Evanescence sound is a lot like Kelly Clarkson's My December. Not that I listened to it or anything...:eek: Hahaha! But I think they go back and forth a bit in sounding like one another.

iamanexit
11-29-2011, 09:49 PM
I have been tempted off and on to give it a spin through the ol' Spotify. Perhaps now, I will.
Loved the first album (of course I was an angsty teen when it came out; what's not to love?!) and sort of hated the second, so this could go either way.

Worst case scenario: I hate it, but there are still a few videos from it, which means I can still watch Amy looking fiiiiiiiiiine. :o

Vertigo
12-02-2011, 12:23 AM
If you have the slightest bit of positive feeling towards Evanescence, do yourself a favour and download their demo material (the most convenient and polished of which is the album Origin). The band doesn't mind people downloading the pre-Fallen material, as genuine albums (they only made a couple of thousand) sell for ridiculous money and there are forgeries everywhere. There are actually links available somewhere on the band's wiki page.

In my opinion, Evanescence took a drastic downturn with the release of Fallen (which involved dropping one member of the original trio and acquiring a couple of new members - second original member left shortly after). It took them from alt rock to nu metal, which they've never really recovered from.

On the subject of the new album, I don't think there's anything on it that matches the very best of The Open Door (such as Like You, a song about Amy Lee's dead sister), and a huge proportion of it is generic nu-metally slosh.

Deepvoid
12-02-2011, 09:08 AM
The second Ben Moody left the band, Evanescence started writing shitty songs.

Malechite
12-02-2011, 09:18 AM
If you have the slightest bit of positive feeling towards Evanescence, do yourself a favour and download their demo material

I've actually had Origin and Demos/Not For Your Ears for a long long time, and you are right, thats where their best stuff is. the original "Bring me to Life" was way better than the version on Fallen.

"Away From Me", "Anything For You" the original "Breathe No More" are some of my favorites from their early releases.

The second Ben Moody left the band, Evanescence started writing shitty songs.

I would have agreed, as I didn't like the 2nd album at all, but something must have changed because there are some great keys/parts on some of the new songs that made me go notbadface.jpg

aggroculture
12-02-2011, 09:45 AM
I liked the first one, was super let-down by the second, and really hate the new single (Do Whatchoo whatchoo want). So not too psyched on checking out the new album any time soon.
BTW We Are The Fallen's album (Moody+co+Amy Lee clone) had some decent songs on it.

hollowsminion
12-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Hate me, but I'm a huge fan. Glad there's a thread here now since I can't stand the Evthreads board. Love the newest but like them all, it's kind of a blending of Fallen and The Open Door. I really love the addition of Will Hunt, he's a great drummer and his talents really revved the new stuff up a few notches (not that Fallen was slouchy, JOSH FREESE, hello!)

spiral94
12-02-2011, 12:02 PM
reason the new album is good is because vrenna played keyboards and programmed

hollowsminion
12-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Tis true! Girl can pick a kickass team.

Malechite
12-02-2011, 12:13 PM

That definitely explains the "sick keys" i was experiencing. I didn't even bother to check out the credits.

Space Suicide
12-02-2011, 12:24 PM

Whoooah, hello!

I might check this out. I liked Fallen when it came out. Open Door had a few decent songs, got out of them afterwards.

cicada
01-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Always like Amy's voice, but the rest of this band totally pollutes it for me... sorry.

hollowsminion
01-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Check out the new Underworld Awakening soundtrack. Made of Stone got some Lohner love....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0DwlJhS1zQ

estringrose
08-03-2013, 03:50 AM
Am I the only one who didn't particularly care for Fallen? I mean, "Imaginary" got me into the band, but "Bring Me to Life" is not a favorite of mine. Recently, I have started to appreciate Amy Lee's piano work, but other than that, I really could do without Fallen. The Open Door, on the other hand... "Call Me When You're Sober" is pretty irritating, but I agree that "Like You" has what I would consider to be one of the most powerful parts to any Evanescence song. I thought it had more variety than Fallen, for sure.

Like I said, the piano work is nice. I still can't help feeling embarrassed that I like them again.

Sutekh
08-03-2013, 05:49 AM
Bollocks to them, they bungled a cover up of some kind and then split before the backlash could grow

Vertigo
08-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Bollocks to them, they bungled a paedo cover up and then split before the backlash could grow

What the what?

Sutekh
08-03-2013, 04:10 PM
They shut their onlne forum down and went on hiatus after this - another report I read mentioned inappropriate behaviour towards a minor, but perhaps that was not the case. Anyroad it does seem some pretty cynical moves were made on their part

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/evanescence-accused-of-bullying-fan-to-cover-up-sex-abuse/

Hackers’ group Anonymous have declared online war on Evanescence in reaction to allegations made about frontwoman Amy Lee in a House of Commons Early Day Motion.

Lee and her manager Andrew Lurie were accused of bullying a fan in order to cover up sex abuse and drug use.

The motion, tabled by John Hemming MP, suggests they engaged in threatening action against fan Sam Smith, who’d uncovered evidence of illegal activity on Evanescence’s EvThread website.

The official document states the pair hired law firm Schillings and through them “threatened Sam Smith with legal action unless he agreed to enter into a contract not to report allegations of criminal activity, including abuse and sexual predation, and illegal drug use.”

It recognises those allegations have not been tried in court, but says “there is evidence to support them” and continues: “Threats of legal action and the consequential threat of legal costs should not be used to prevent wrongdoing being reported to the police.”

Hemming accuses Schillings of behaving in a manner that would be illegal in the US, and calls on the British Government to pass a law making that behaviour illegal in the UK.

The motion has been signed by two other MPs, Mike Hancock and Peter Bottomley. Early Day Motions are unlikely to be debated in the UK Parliament but can carry considerable political weight if signed by a large number of MPs.

Full documentation provided in the House of Commons publication Hansard suggests that some of the cyber-bullying referred to was intended to “procure the suicide of a teenage girl.” Other incidents are said to include the posting of material including “a story about sexual offences against a physically disabled male minor” and “sexual activity with animals. While the record notes none of these actions are themselves illegal, it’s suggested that connected activities are.

Now Anonymous have vowed to take action to pursue Lee and Lurie, and have called on the organisation’s followers to picket concerts on Lee’s upcoming tour.

They say: “Evanescence are touring the UK in November and Anons are asked to picket their concerts in full masked gear.” The group aim to show a presence in at the Manchester Arena on November 6 and Wembley Arena, London, on November 9.

Schillings, Lee and Lurie have not commented on the matter. A spokesman for Lurie’s 110 Management told Classic Rock: “This is an old story and we have no comment to make.”

Vertigo
08-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Ye gods. Have I mentioned how grateful I am for ETS' continuously thorough lack of awfulness?

blackholesun
08-03-2013, 08:27 PM
wake me up
wake me up inside

Stateira
08-04-2013, 01:24 PM
They shut their onlne forum down and went on hiatus after this - another report I read mentioned inappropriate behaviour towards a minor, but perhaps that was not the case. Anyroad it does seem some pretty cynical moves were made on their part

Jesus Christ.

hollowsminion
08-04-2013, 02:13 PM
"Sam Smith" is a very disgruntled fan who liked to stir shit up on all the Ev message boards so now the only official message board is the Spark Art fan EvClub one. She has some really OUT THERE fans....hmmm no so different from NIN is that respectl. Troubled people will find a way to get themselves noticed and it's usually in a bad way. I remember one such posting that got lots of attention when someone decided they would post they were going to commit suicide and the place blew up with people trying to find out who it was and where they were. IIRC, I think one of the guitarist's wife was even involved in trying to talk the person out of it. Social media is a double edged razor and stars/musicians/etc get cut when fans take it to extreme.

I have no insider info on that whole sex abuse thing but it looked to me to be a case of "if I can't have her then NO one can." So Wind-up pulled the plug on the free message board and cut their losses. Now if you want to play, you join the fan club and it's all legal for them.

Sutekh
08-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Don't know what to think, bizarre all round

onthewall2983
08-30-2013, 08:20 PM
"Sam Smith" is a very disgruntled fan who liked to stir shit up on all the Ev message boards so now the only official message board is the Spark Art fan EvClub one. She has some really OUT THERE fans....hmmm no so different from NIN is that respectl. Troubled people will find a way to get themselves noticed and it's usually in a bad way. I remember one such posting that got lots of attention when someone decided they would post they were going to commit suicide and the place blew up with people trying to find out who it was and where they were. IIRC, I think one of the guitarist's wife was even involved in trying to talk the person out of it. Social media is a double edged razor and stars/musicians/etc get cut when fans take it to extreme.

I have no insider info on that whole sex abuse thing but it looked to me to be a case of "if I can't have her then NO one can." So Wind-up pulled the plug on the free message board and cut their losses. Now if you want to play, you join the fan club and it's all legal for them.

Female singers tend to have the strangest/creepiest/dangerous stalker-types after them. I remember hearing about someone who sent Bjork these strange videos (and maybe a bomb?), ultimately sending her his suicide video if I remember the story right.

hollowsminion
10-28-2015, 03:46 PM
Sorry to revive this dead thread.... but is Amy Lee stuff going to be included here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXNL6sQZn5k

Trying to track down the audio of this if anyone can help. I'm now on Safari and can't figure out how to get audio from Youtube files anymore. Thanks if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Boots
11-14-2017, 11:03 PM
Their new album Synthesis is out. Now I have a crush on their current drummer, Will Hunt. He looks like Kurt.
https://www.metal-archives.com/images/2/9/8/7/29872_artist.jpg?0523

tony.parente
04-20-2021, 08:57 AM
The new album The Bitter Truth is really good. I always hate every evanescence song I hear the first few listens but they always grow on me. Really really good rock record.

Archive_Reports
04-20-2021, 09:02 AM
So much of their stuff seems like filler but there are always a couple really strong tracks on each release.

poinoup
04-20-2021, 12:43 PM
Artifact/The Turn into Broken Pieces Shine is great.

spiral94
04-21-2021, 06:19 PM
i believe chris vrenna also programmed one of the songs on this release

MrLobster
04-21-2021, 06:36 PM
i believe chris vrenna also programmed one of the songs on this release

"Far From Heaven" is what Discogs is telling me the name of the song is...

bobbie solo
04-22-2021, 01:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJEZgUjjZqM

I was surprised how much I liked this song when it came out a few months ago.

ickyvicky
04-22-2021, 08:40 AM
^^ first time hearing this song. i dig it.

wizfan
05-06-2021, 02:27 AM
I was pleasantly surprised by the new album. I'll admit to not being familiar with their post-Fallen work (though I dug Amy's guest appearance on the new Bring Me the Horizon release), but this album felt very fresh. My favorite moments were when they stepped out of their comfort zone (and yes, I know the lineup has changed many times) with some poppy or experimental moments. I haven't listened to Synthesis, but I'm sure it played a huge factor in this.

Also, Amy impressed me A LOT, both as a singer and a lyricist. She made me go "whoa" in quite a few songs. Even the obligatory "piano song" Far from Heaven was pretty good (thanks, Chris Vrenna). I just wish the guitarists had written more interesting riffs; granted, there are not many bland nu-metal chugs here, but they still exist, and they're holding them back, in my opinion. Still, a very entertaining album that actually shows evolution and promise. Hopefully, the current band members will stay for a while.